PDA

View Full Version : Who here likes Ed Werner?

D-Unit
10-21-2009, 07:34 PM
Just another dispicable piece of work out of his mouth...

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/columns/story?columnist=werder_ed&id=4582322

Basically, what I get from this is that we should bench Roy Williams because he's not living up to his contract. To him, that's good coaching. That Patrick Crayton is being treated unfairly and he should be the one starting opposite of Miles Austin. To Werner, a move like that is a Parcells/Belichick type move.

To me, the Cowboys cutting TO was more dramatic than anything Belichick, Parcells or McDaniels (the guys he's praising) ever did with their personnel. ...yet he writes 1 sentence about it followed up with his idea that they should bench Roy. Roy is not sitting out by choice. He got knocked out going across the middle (one of the bravest things a WR does). He also doesn't have that many targets. Guys like Werner who don't understand the full picture are EXACTLY the type of media pundits who type worthless junk that mold the public's view. All of us here knew Roy wasn't gonna duplicate TO's numbers. But Werner seems to think that Roy's a failure because he hasn't filled those shoes. One of the biggest reasons why we got rid of TO was to enable Romo to feel free in spreading the ball out more without TO jumping his balls or Garrett's balls.

I can't believe this guy gets paid to write his opinion.

Geo
10-21-2009, 07:36 PM
I hate that no-good piece of ****. Despise him with a passion.

Looks like this is one time where we completely agree, D-Unit.

E-Man
10-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Well he's gotta criticize something? Right? lol It's not like Roy has sucked to mighty heaven here. He had two good games that people would've acted like Pro Bowl performances had T.O. did them in Buffalo, and the other two games he was active for Romo was off with his passing. It's just another way to stir up the pot for Werder.

MetSox17
10-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Werder is one of the biggest fucknuts that's employed by ****** ESPN. Year after year we see garbage flying out of this douchebag's mouth. He knows nothing about what's good for the team, yet he always comes up with his little clever ideas on what should happen. If lightning struck him tomorrow i wouldn't have an ounce of remorse for the guy.

herniateddisc
10-21-2009, 11:00 PM
FWIW, I like Werder. RW does suck so far.

But Crayton is after-birth and no better than Hurd on the field.

So ... I like Austin, RW.

FinChase
10-22-2009, 10:45 AM
It's a ridiculous story. It's obvious that it was a slow news week for him so he had to try and generate a controversy.

herniateddisc
10-22-2009, 01:52 PM
It's a ridiculous story. It's obvious that it was a slow news week for him so he had to try and generate a controversy.

So Jerrah calls Crayton a starter. Phillips drops the ball. Crayton complains and Werder is the problem?

Not to mention Jerrah mis-directing media with his "we passed up a high pick" non-sequitor.

How about them COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 02:04 PM
So Jerrah calls Crayton a starter. Phillips drops the ball. Crayton complains and Werder is the problem?

Not to mention Jerrah mis-directing media with his "we passed up a high pick" non-sequitor.

How about them COWBOYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nobody said Werner is a problem for the Cowboys. For a guy that always likes to bring up strawman... please...

Werner just sucks at reporting and his opinions are ridiculous. The fact that people listen and allow him to mold their perception is just warped.

Jerry never called Crayton the starter. In fact, he avoided any mention of Crayton.

"Jerry Jones mentioned Roy Williams, Miles Austin and even undrafted receiver Kevin Ogletree while discussing the potential of the Dallas Cowboys' wide receivers corps.

Patrick Crayton's name didn't come up until Jones was specifically asked about the veteran receiver."
http://espn.go.com/dallas/columns/cowboys/blog?name=cowboys&page=2

To me, this is great news. Crayton shouldn't be listed among the WRs that have great potential for the future. I think his future sucks.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2009, 02:18 PM
McDaniels getting rid of Cutler was bigger than you guys cutting T.O.

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 02:25 PM
I think I just put 1 and 1 together.

Patrick Crayton is Ed Werder's rat!

It all makes sense now. Crayton has always savored media attention. Why is it that Crayton is on Cold Pizza, First Take, and is like the Cowboys spokesperson on ESPN for the Cowboys players? Who let him be "that" guy? Jerry? Wade? Romo? Witten? Ware? Newman? Some other Cowboys leader??? No. ESPN gives it to him and in turn, they get their rat into the Cowboys lockerroom. Ed Werder is ESPN's Dallas Cowboys' guy and with this article it's all come clear now.

Crayton was the rat on the whole TO, Romo, Witten saga last year. Who got left out in the cold more than Crayton? Especially after they brought in Roy...

Now he's being talked about being benched and it's all of a sudden reported that Crayton wasn't told about it face to face and the story is broken out by Ed Werder who calls "bad coaching" and "unfair to Crayton.. who is slightly outperforming Roy".

NOT TRUE.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/columns/cowboys/blog?name=cowboys&page=2
Phillips: Crayton was informed of decision
October 21, 2009, 5:15 PM
By: Tim MacMahon

Wade Phillips denied Patrick Crayton's assertion that the receiver wasn't informed that he was being replaced by Miles Austin in the starting lineup.

"I'm sure we told him in a meeting," Phillips said.

Crayton feels that he deserves an explanation for the demotion. Phillips, who pointed out that Crayton could start Sunday against the Atlanta Falcons if Roy Williams isn't recovered from a rib injury, said a one-on-one meeting with the receiver might happen.

"When that comes up, we may do that," Phillips said. "We discussed it with him. I have no doubt about that."

So that makes Werder's report even MORE HIDEOUS... the fact that if Roy isn't healthy enough, then Crayton WILL get the start opposite of Austin. Werder blew his horn too early and now we know who his rat is. At least wait until your boy Crayton is not starting before you call foul play.

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 02:28 PM
McDaniels getting rid of Cutler was bigger than you guys cutting T.O.
I would probably agree, but to play devil's advocate, I think we're having a harder time adjusting with the loss than Denver is.

Orton is better than people think. But if the Broncos lost Marshall.... I doubt they'd still be undefeated. Weird thought?

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I would probably agree, but to play devil's advocate, I think we're having a harder time adjusting with the loss than Denver is.

Orton is better than people think. But if the Broncos lost Marshall.... I doubt they'd still be undefeated. Weird thought?

A little. Losing a franchise QB is still harder to make up for than losing a #1 WR that's a little past his prime. You also thought that losing Owens would help, which it still may, but you can't then say you're having a harder time without him.

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 02:54 PM
A little. Losing a franchise QB is still harder to make up for than losing a #1 WR that's a little past his prime. You also thought that losing Owens would help, which it still may, but you can't then say you're having a harder time without him.
Yeah, but that #1 WR past his prime was still a big time producer for us. We did think losing TO would help, but it was never thought to be a quick fix. So the results have not been immediate, just as expected. Losing him is a big adjustment.

I know my stance is against the grain. But Cutler is definitely NOT missed in Denver. That's pretty much a fact. I don't care if logic says replacing a franchise QB is hard. "Hard" is situational, not a blanket statement that always rings true. It hasn't been hard for Denver.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah, but that #1 WR past his prime was still a big time producer for us. We did think losing TO would help, but it was never thought to be a quick fix. So the results have not been immediate, just as expected. Losing him is a big adjustment.

I know my stance is against the grain. But Cutler is definitely NOT missed in Denver. That's pretty much a fact.

I agree but at the time it was still a bigger move and tougher decision to make.

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 03:15 PM
I agree but at the time it was still a bigger move and tougher decision to make.
What??? NO way man. Denver got amazing compensation for him. Dallas ate a $9M cap hit with nothing in return.

Giantsfan1080
10-22-2009, 03:24 PM
What??? NO way man. Denver got amazing compensation for him. Dallas ate a $9M cap hit with nothing in return.

The unknown that they had at QB was a far more dramatic turn for a team. Look at this way, who was more upset when they got rid of their player? Denver or Dallas fans? What McDaniels did was so more dramatic and ballsy than what Jones did. The whole city of Denver was ready to mutiny and they wanted him fired before he even coached one game.

Geo
10-22-2009, 04:18 PM
To me, this is great news. Crayton shouldn't be listed among the WRs that have great potential for the future. I think his future sucks.
I think it was you, but I vaguely recall, that was really big on him back in 07. Saying he was one of the best #2 receivers in the league. Glad you see him for what he is, an okay #3.

I think I just put 1 and 1 together.

Patrick Crayton is Ed Werder's rat!
Seriously I think you nailed it. It fits, for both guys. It really fits.

The Cowboys should kick Crayton's ass to the curb for this ****.

I have a theory that, when you do have your guy at quarterback, he should be older than most if not all of the receivers. They need to look up to him, it cannot be the other way around. That's a big part of how the dynamic should be.

The one exception is if the still relatively young and talented receiver is a motivated player who was around for a horrible season or two horrible seasons, so he's thankful for the new QB and is even further motivated to not get back to that level of failure (Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison). Calvin Johnson might fit the profile, I guess Andre Johnson does too.

Or if you just have a dedicated worker like Hines Ward or Issac Bruce, he's a pro who will take care of his business. That would also work, if you have that guy.

For example I thought/think Carson Palmer will be better off without TJ Houshmandzaeh and Chad Johnson. Those egos take away from him, the bigger ego of the two was always Housh, I hated him for it. Even though he was an effective player, you're seeing how things are better for the Bengals now without him, and with Chad keeping himself in line and following Carson's lead for the time being. Now if the Bengals want to run the ball with Benson 5 out of 7 plays, they can do that no problem.

A receiver can never dictate to the quarterback, that goes against the flow of good football. The ball is in the quarterback's hands on every play, he and the offensive coordinator must dictate how things go. If the flow of good football says Romo doesn't complete a pass to Witten until 3 minutes left in the second quarter, so be it, Witten shouldn't say jack **** and should run every route like he is going to get the ball on that play. That's how it should be.

The problems with Terrell Owens were two-fold:

(1) Him dictating to Romo and Garrett, and even if he wasn't actively dictating to them, his presence dictated to them. Screws up the dynamic. You never say how do I get the ball in so-and-so's hands, you say how can we convert this third down, how can we score points.

(2) Also not only did Owens not look up to Tony Romo, the younger receivers were looking up to Owens more than Romo. Crayton is past the point of no return. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, you guys would know better than me, although given how glowingly Hurd speaks of TO I think he might have reached that point. Not so much Austin?

Roy Williams, well, good luck with that. Although I'll say this for Roy, I don't remember him ever having an attitude antagonistic to any of his quarterbacks in Detroit. I don't recall that, so there is that.

PS. I also thought Irvin was great in the QB-WR dynamic sense for another reason, but I've derailed enough. A Bill Simmons-esque derailing, I might add.

D-Unit
10-22-2009, 06:18 PM
I think it was you, but I vaguely recall, that was really big on him back in 07. Saying he was one of the best #2 receivers in the league. Glad you see him for what he is, an okay #3.

Seriously I think you nailed it. It fits, for both guys. It really fits.

The Cowboys should kick Crayton's ass to the curb for this ****.

I have a theory that, when you do have your guy at quarterback, he should be older than most if not all of the receivers. They need to look up to him, it cannot be the other way around. That's a big part of how the dynamic should be.

The one exception is if the still relatively young and talented receiver is a motivated player who was around for a horrible season or two horrible seasons, so he's thankful for the new QB and is even further motivated to not get back to that level of failure (Michael Irvin, Marvin Harrison). Calvin Johnson might fit the profile, I guess Andre Johnson does too.

Or if you just have a dedicated worker like Hines Ward or Issac Bruce, he's a pro who will take care of his business. That would also work, if you have that guy.

For example I thought/think Carson Palmer will be better off without TJ Houshmandzaeh and Chad Johnson. Those egos take away from him, the bigger ego of the two was always Housh, I hated him for it. Even though he was an effective player, you're seeing how things are better for the Bengals now without him, and with Chad keeping himself in line and following Carson's lead for the time being. Now if the Bengals want to run the ball with Benson 5 out of 7 plays, they can do that no problem.

A receiver can never dictate to the quarterback, that goes against the flow of good football. The ball is in the quarterback's hands on every play, he and the offensive coordinator must dictate how things go. If the flow of good football says Romo doesn't complete a pass to Witten until 3 minutes left in the second quarter, so be it, Witten shouldn't say jack **** and should run every route like he is going to get the ball on that play. That's how it should be.

The problems with Terrell Owens were two-fold:

(1) Him dictating to Romo and Garrett, and even if he wasn't actively dictating to them, his presence dictated to them. Screws up the dynamic. You never say how do I get the ball in so-and-so's hands, you say how can we convert this third down, how can we score points.

(2) Also not only did Owens not look up to Tony Romo, the younger receivers were looking up to Owens more than Romo. Crayton is past the point of no return. Sam Hurd and Miles Austin, you guys would know better than me, although given how glowingly Hurd speaks of TO I think he might have reached that point. Not so much Austin?

Roy Williams, well, good luck with that. Although I'll say this for Roy, I don't remember him ever having an attitude antagonistic to any of his quarterbacks in Detroit. I don't recall that, so there is that.

PS. I also thought Irvin was great in the QB-WR dynamic sense for another reason, but I've derailed enough. A Bill Simmons-esque derailing, I might add.
I have said a lot of things of which I was wrong regarding the Cowboys. But my thing is... I can always defend what I say "in the moment". Looking back, yeah... I'm not too prideful to be the guy that says "I'm never wrong". Prior to Crayton's injuries, he used to be our deep threat guy. He used to be the guy on our team with "the best hands". He used to be a guy who didn't seek media attention. Now that is not the case. He's none of those. He thinks he's "arrived". That's the problem. Even before the season started, he tried to act like a "big man on campus"... coming on the field last during spring training... trying to give himself any extra attention... acted like the starting job was his and his only... All this Post-TO, mind you. Yeah... Crayton thought he could come in and "be the man". Well, reality has hit him in the face and now he's trying to work "his connections" with Ed to spin it to make it seem like things were "unfair" to him.

Gig's up kid. It's over.

LizardState
10-23-2009, 09:19 AM
FWIW, I like Werder. RW does suck so far.

But Crayton is after-birth and no better than Hurd on the field.

So ... I like Austin, RW.

I agree with hd that Royboy hasnt lived up to expectations when Jerry gave away the ranch for him. Benching, uhhh no (throws baby out the door with bathwater)

Werder is usually the Cowboys apologist for some headline-grabbing story. It spoiled Werder, TO in Dallas was a godsend to his ESPN career as the Dallas beat reporter, but he's gone now. It wouldn't be the 1st time an ESPN throat played fast & loose with facts or published an outrageous theory for public consumption. He has to be creative now with a lackluster HC like Phillips & a formerly great, talent-laden team that's mired in mediocrity.

MetSox17
10-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I actually like D's take on this. Crayton seems like the rat of the locker room.

Brent
10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
To comment on the title: no one. no one likes Ed Werner.

Also, bring Michael Irvin back on TV, ESPN!