PDA

View Full Version : I think we should take CJ at #2

Jagonsucker
03-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Doesn't look like we're going to sign Curtis or Mccdonald(who?). And CJ is the greatest WR prospect ever. Why pass on what could be the best player the NFL has ever seen(or so is hyped up to be)

detroit4life
03-10-2007, 04:13 PM
becasue we're trying to build a team and as of right now adding another great WR doesnt help build the team as much as other positions

Xiomera
03-10-2007, 04:21 PM
If Detroit fails to bring in Curtis, McDonald, or another capable WR (who else is there?) then they really need to consider CJ. I know we all want a trade down, but in the event that we get stuck at 2 (it could very well happen), would you rather have CJ or Thomas? The bigger need is arguably at WR now that we've got Foster and no Curtis.

I don't want Detroit taking Adams at 2. All is fine and dandy if we get him at 5, but at #2, we need to get the top talent out there, and considering our need at WR, CJ is that guy.

But let me make this clear . . . I am not saying CJ is my #1 choice for Detroit, but IF we cannot trade down, I think we have to seriously consider it (unless we get a good WR beforehand).

detroit4life
03-10-2007, 04:28 PM
i like CJ a lot and its intriguing i just dont see how he helps the team as much as thomas or a DE. I wouldnt be mad with the pick but i dont see it happening at all

TacticaLion
03-10-2007, 05:26 PM
Everyone knows how I feel about drafting CJ at #2.

If there's a weakness on the team, it definately isn't the passing offense. Yes, CJ is a great prospect and will probably be a great player, but, at this point, we need to start filling our biggest needs.

We could walk away with Adams, Thomas or Willis in this draft... three players that can dominate three different positions (two of them that we can trade down and STILL draft).

Marinelli knew the task he had ahead of him when he became our coach, and definately wants to win as soon as possible. What gives us the greatest chance to win... adding a stud WR or greatly improving our defense? I think the answer is defense.

Scotty D
03-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Millen doesn't have the balls to take CJ.

TacticaLion
03-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Millen doesn't have the balls to take CJ.Millen wants to keep his job... I don't think any GM with his history would let himself draft CJ.

Your sig is a good example.

Addict
03-11-2007, 10:32 AM
Millen wants to keep his job... I don't think any GM with his history would let himself draft CJ.

Your sig is a good example.

"with his history?"

Yeah. He messed up with Mike Williams.

But he also drafted C-Rog, who was a great prospect and many said the Lions' draft was worth an A JUST FOR DRAFTING HIM. The fact C-Rog was a lazy, big mouthed, no good pro is a knock on Rogers, not on Millen.

And he also got us Roy Williams, who I think is a great guy.

So his 'history' ain't all that bad. And I don't think anyone would really be upset or surprised or angry if he drafted CJ. The kid's gonna be a superstar probably from day 1.

Xiomera
03-11-2007, 11:31 AM
"with his history?"

Yeah. He messed up with Mike Williams.

But he also drafted C-Rog, who was a great prospect and many said the Lions' draft was worth an A JUST FOR DRAFTING HIM. The fact C-Rog was a lazy, big mouthed, no good pro is a knock on Rogers, not on Millen.

And he also got us Roy Williams, who I think is a great guy.

So his 'history' ain't all that bad. And I don't think anyone would really be upset or surprised or angry if he drafted CJ. The kid's gonna be a superstar probably from day 1.

Yeah this is where I have a problem with people basing our draft on past drafts . . . yeah, Rogers and M. Williams failed, but it doesn't make WR any less of a possibility. CJ is not anything like those two players. He is the safest WR prospect in years.

When Millen took Rogers, most people agreed that he was the best WR that year and had the highest upside, while at the same time, people recognized the fact that Andrew Johnson (taken third) was the safer pick. Millen did as most GM's would . . .

Addict
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Yeah this is where I have a problem with people basing our draft on past drafts . . . yeah, Rogers and M. Williams failed, but it doesn't make WR any less of a possibility. CJ is not anything like those two players. He is the safest WR prospect in years.

When Millen took Rogers, most people agreed that he was the best WR that year and had the highest upside, while at the same time, people recognized the fact that Andrew Johnson (taken third) was the safer pick. Millen did as most GM's would . . .

sure. Upside usually beats 'safe' in the draft. Same thing with Young/Leinart/Cutler last year, Young got picked first although he was not really the best QB of the bunch, that was Leinart, but his athletic upside still got him to #3, while Leinart fell to #10, although arm strenght issues did drop Leinart more than he deserved.

Xiomera
03-11-2007, 12:04 PM
I think Millen is getting a bit gun-shy now . . . Ernie Sims last year was a very safe pick . . . he could have gotten a Quarterback, but instead chose the safe pick. It didn't turn out bad, but I'd have liked to see what Martz could do with Leinart.

TacticaLion
03-11-2007, 12:09 PM
You've gotta understand, though... I never said those picks were bad. Even the MWilliams pick... he was still supposed to be a dominant player. But, the players he drafted happened to be lazy/undisciplined or get caught using drugs.... which doesn't help the team OR the team's image.

I think thats what it comes down to... image. The Lions are the "laughing stock" of the NFL right now... and drafting a WR in the first round for three consecutive years is the reason. With the success the passing offense had last year, it would be hard for him to argue that he needs another one (especially when Marinelli WANTS a defensive player).

The team can do without one. I know CJ is the safest WR pick out of the 4, but he wont be the pick for the Lions.

Xiomera
03-11-2007, 12:18 PM
You've gotta understand, though... I never said those picks were bad. Even the MWilliams pick... he was still supposed to be a dominant player. But, the players he drafted happened to be lazy/undisciplined or get caught using drugs.... which doesn't help the team OR the team's image.

I think thats what it comes down to... image. The Lions are the "laughing stock" of the NFL right now... and drafting a WR in the first round for three consecutive years is the reason. With the success the passing offense had last year, it would be hard for him to argue that he needs another one (especially when Marinelli WANTS a defensive player).

The team can do without one. I know CJ is the safest WR pick out of the 4, but he wont be the pick for the Lions.

Is this the reason? Or is it that they haven't won more than 6 games since Millen took over in 2001 . . . Millen is the reason we are a laughing stock.

Addict
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM

Eh... the Lions are one of the laughing stocks. I mean the bengals are the kings of getting arrested, Oakland destroys anything with talent, Cleveland can't seem to stay healthy, Arizona is cursed and you could go on forever.

CJ is going to be great, and even though he might not fill a huge need, the situation is very comparable to Reggie Bush last year. He's a great, great prospect, who should get consideration from ANY team.
And quite frankly, I wouldn't mind CJ in Lions Blue.

TacticaLion
03-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Is this the reason? Or is it that they haven't won more than 6 games since Millen took over in 2001 . . . Millen is the reason we are a laughing stock.Is the fact that we haven't won more than 6 games ALL Millen's fault? If it isn't the draft picks, why is it all his fault? What did HE do? It wasn't the coaches... or the players... it was him?

Xiomera
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Is the fact that we haven't won more than 6 games ALL Millen's fault? If it isn't the draft picks, why is it all his fault? What did HE do? It wasn't the coaches... or the players... it was him?
Everything starts w/ Millen. He chooses the Free Agents we sign. He cooses the coaches we've fired. He's made the draft picks.

Iamcanadian
03-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Everyone knows how I feel about drafting CJ at #2.

If there's a weakness on the team, it definately isn't the passing offense. Yes, CJ is a great prospect and will probably be a great player, but, at this point, we need to start filling our biggest needs.

We could walk away with Adams, Thomas or Willis in this draft... three players that can dominate three different positions (two of them that we can trade down and STILL draft).

Marinelli knew the task he had ahead of him when he became our coach, and definately wants to win as soon as possible. What gives us the greatest chance to win... adding a stud WR or greatly improving our defense? I think the answer is defense.

I may disagree with you about Willis but I agree that defense is our main priority if we don't draft Quinn. I'm hoping for a trade down with either Minny, Houston or Miami who may well want Quinn but even if it doesn't happen I could see the Lions taking Adams at #2. Marinelli's cover 2 defense is going to remain mediocre until he finds a great pass rushing DE, the cover 2 simply must have great DE's to be effective. I'd take Willis but only in a trade involving moving up using our #2 pick and additional picks. We are never going to get him by trading down from #2 and in a cover 2 defense a DE is away above a MLB in priority. The 2 DE's, a small fast and Quick DT and the safeties are the primory positions in a cover 2, everything else can be filled with average players, of course, a star at the secondary positions doesn't hurt.

Addict
03-11-2007, 12:57 PM
Everything starts w/ Millen. He chooses the Free Agents we sign. He cooses the coaches we've fired. He's made the draft picks.

And as I've said earlier, his picks were solid. It's just the way they turned out that we don't like. You can't blame a guy for having the worst luck in the world.

Scotty D
03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
And as I've said earlier, his picks were solid. It's just the way they turned out that we don't like. You can't blame a guy for having the worst luck in the world.

That is true. There is a certain amount of luck involved in the draft. But it is a double edged sword because there are GMs out there that have decent drafts consistently.