PDA

View Full Version : Chris Samuels Retires

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2009, 07:52 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4589918

Farewell Mr. Samuels. The news just keeps on getting better for the skins. First we hear that Zorn won't be fired this season, now Samuels retires. That leaves us with an undrafted tackle who is too slow to play RT in Stephen Heyer and he needs to move to the left side now to face even faster DE's. On the right side we have non other than the colossal bust Mike Williams who prior to this season had been out of football for 4 years and needed to lose 80 pounds just to get down to 340 a manageable playing weight. Apparently he was just working unloading trucks the past few years. It's funny but we just signed another bust earlier this week in Levi Jones but he probably steps in and is the most talented O-lineman we have.

On a side note Samuels is one of my favorite all times Skins. I had no idea that the reason he wore the neck brace was because he already had a neck problem that he has been playing through his whole career. He gave us 10 amazing years 6 of them being pro bowl. Anytime a Redskins can play 10+ years with us and we actually drafted them you know you are special. Now the problem is if you have a choice between Russell Okung and say Jimmy Clausen or Jake Locker who do you take. IMO you take the franchise LT instead of the rookie QB with no line or running game.

bored of education
10-23-2009, 07:53 PM
He was an absolute beast. One of the top LTs in the last 15 years in this game. I hope Okung goes to KC and they movie Albert back to G or RT. :D

Rosebud
10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Levi Jones wasn't a bust, he just lost it a few years ago because of injuries.

Edit:
As for your draft needs I think you guys need to rebuild that oline before going after franchise QB, because that offense is really devoid of talent and would be a really tough spot for any young QB to succeed in.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
great player. the skins will miss him.

good god the redskins oline sucks.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2009, 08:00 PM
I used to be one of those guys that felt you take the LT before the qb, but what recent history has shown us is, you take the qb when you get the chance.

LTs are becoming easier to find than in years past. Guys can be had in late round 1 or early round 2.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2009, 08:02 PM
Levi Jones wasn't a bust, he just lost it a few years ago because of injuries.

Edit:
As for your draft needs I think you guys need to rebuild that oline before going after franchise QB, because that offense is really devoid of talent and would be a really tough spot for any young QB to succeed in.

The fact is we will never rebuild anything. We will never have a bunch of picks and we aren't willing to build players. We will probably find a stop gap average starting LT to fill the spot for 2 or 3 years and worry about it later. That's how we run things. We fill needs by overpaying older players who are only temporary solutions. That will never change with this organization unless the team is bought from Snyder which is never happening or at the very least Vinny Ceratto is fired which probably isn't happening either.

bored of education
10-23-2009, 08:04 PM
I used to be one of those guys that felt you take the LT before the qb, but what recent history has shown us is, you take the qb when you get the chance.

LTs are becoming easier to find than in years past. Guys can be had in late round 1 or early round 2.

I don't know if it has become easier or just more apparent that you can wait to the 2nd round to find a player to be your franchise LT. Easier, in my mind may just be the wrong word.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
I don't know if it has become easier or just more apparent that you can wait to the 2nd round to find a player to be your franchise LT. Easier, in my mind may just be the wrong word.

easier probably is the wrong word.

I just think that finding DEs and LTs has become less difficult in recent years because colleges are just producing more quality players at those positions than ever before.

with more and more emphasis being put on pressuring the qb and protecting the qb than ever before bc of rule changes in the secondary, colleges have reacted by producing more talent in those positions.

both positions translate easily to the NFL as well.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Of course the Skins would never fill needs through the draft. Hell we might take Jermaine Gresham because you can never have too many TE's. It's very sad though because we actually have very good drafts, relatively low bust rate the past 5-7 years or so, but the problem is we never have even close to a full arsenal of picks because we are always chasing stars of yesterday.

bigbluedefense
10-23-2009, 08:11 PM
Of course the Skins would never fill needs through the draft. Hell we might take Jermaine Gresham because you can never have too many TE's. It's very sad though because we actually have very good drafts, relatively low bust rate the past 5-7 years or so, but the problem is we never have even close to a full arsenal of picks because we are always chasing stars of yesterday.

the skins do draft very well.

which is why im so surprised that they love trading away draft picks. this team will never succeed until Dan Synder either sells the team or stops meddling in football operations.

bored of education
10-23-2009, 08:16 PM
easier probably is the wrong word.

I just think that finding DEs and LTs has become less difficult in recent years because colleges are just producing more quality players at those positions than ever before.

with more and more emphasis being put on pressuring the qb and protecting the qb than ever before bc of rule changes in the secondary, colleges have reacted by producing more talent in those positions.

both positions translate easily to the NFL as well.

I think its becoming more apparent that you can find both DE's and LT's later in the draft is because the emphasis on those positions at the college level has heigthened. Also the way some of these kids grow these days really helps. Scouting for college has empahsised taking kids 6'3-6'5 250-280 that are raw athletes and making them o linemen rather than focusing all efforts on the 6'1 200-220 lbers and making them offensive weapons.

A trickle down effect of sorts.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-23-2009, 08:25 PM
the skins do draft very well.

which is why im so surprised that they love trading away draft picks. this team will never succeed until Dan Synder either sells the team or stops meddling in football operations.

I'm pretty sure I'll outlive Daniel Snyder so hopefully by the time I am 70 I will new management here in D.C.

JRTPlaya21
10-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks for all of the hard years Chris Samuels.

Shiver
10-23-2009, 10:26 PM
I can't believe Mike Williams is back in the league, let alone starting. (the O-Line guy, not the WR, although his return wouldn't be any more improbable)

JRTPlaya21
10-23-2009, 10:29 PM
Not so fast my friend!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4589918

TitanHope
10-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Chris Samuels is denying reports that he's decided to retire. Just saw it scroll across the bottom of ESPN.

CC.SD
10-23-2009, 10:55 PM
Hahaha hilarious circumstance, sorry Chris.

E-Man
10-23-2009, 11:56 PM
Well he was pretty damn good when he played, so much props to him for having the career he did. Even though I hate the Redskins, I don't like when a player has to retire due to injury.

Nalej
10-24-2009, 12:13 AM
soooooo... is he retired or no?

SuperKevin
10-24-2009, 12:17 AM
As much as it hurts the Skins, they should push for him to retire. If they have any ounce of decency they won't let him risk his well being on a lost cause of a season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-24-2009, 12:24 AM
Not so fast my friend?

http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/corsoespn.jpg

CashmoneyDrew
10-24-2009, 02:50 AM
Bahaha, Lee Corso is a ***** gets me every time.

JRTPlaya21
10-24-2009, 09:06 AM
Hahaha thanks for the Corso pic. That is def what I was pushing at.

21ST
10-24-2009, 09:08 AM
As much as it hurts the Skins, they should push for him to retire. If they have any ounce of decency they won't let him risk his well being on a lost cause of a season.

If he does play again it wont be this season but i guess any season is a lost cause for the redskins

LizardState
10-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Seems like only yesterday he was taking that helicopter ride to the Redskins & Snyder with Arrington, the Penn St. LB who were taken with back to back picks in the draft. Samuels was fresh from his Outland Trophy award at Bama, I think Arrington won the Butkus, & they were the bright new stars who would lead the Skins back to the playoffs.

Arrington didn't last but another yr, just didnt "get it" in their new defensive scheme, Samuels became a fixture in DC & one of the fan faves on the o-line. Great OT, several Pro Bowls, great career. Too bad Snyder couldn't put a decent offense together around them, even when he brought Gibbs out of retirement. now Samuels is retiring from one of the worst o-lines in the league in the middle of a disastrous Redskin season, I'm sure he would've preferred to go out on top but his decision is forced.

Adios from Samuels from from his fellow Mobilean, always a big fan, & to a Redskin All Pro who was greatly respected by rival Dallas, Eagles & Giants fans.

themaninblack
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Yeah, Levi Jones isn't a bust. If he's healthy I still think he can play at a pretty high level though IDK if he'll ever be able to regain the form he showed a few yrs ago.