WR Johnnie Lee Higgins
5th Round Selection
DE Jerry Hughes (1st)
CB Jerome Murphy (3rd)
S Kam Chancellor (3rd)
OG Vladimir Ducasse (3rd)

Losses:
WR Limas Sweed

My thoughts here were to build depth, or at least get players who had the upside to learn for a few years and get the basic skills.

Larry Johnson gets a new start in Pittsburgh. All we lost was a #4 WR who simply couldn't get it done in the NFL. Willie Parker will be cut, and not enough was given up to say that Johnson can't be cut if he acts up. We also got Johnnie Lee Higgins to fill in as our #4 WR with some upside, speed, and returning ability if needed.

As for the draft, Jerry Hughes gives us a hard nosed, hard worker to develop behind James Harrison and to eventually take over for him. Jerome Murphy is a high upside corner who has been very inconsistent, but he is an amazing tackler and has size and speed. He is the type of guy the Steelers can bring around slowly. Kam Chancellor is excellent in the box safety depth who has been a playmaker for the Hokies. Finally, Ducasse is a HUGE guard who adds depth at multiple O-line positions.

Cicero
11-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Text me when my pick is up please. 360.461.6141

wonderbredd24
11-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Assuming this thing goes to a 4th round, Ducasse was the guy I was targetting.

Good pick.

Unbiased
11-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Assuming this thing goes to a 4th round, Ducasse was the guy I was targetting.

Good pick.

Where have you seen him play? I've been trying to watch him and Tony Washington.

wonderbredd24
11-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Where have you seen him play? I've been trying to watch him and Tony Washington.

In his case, I can only go off what I have read/heard.

He fits the profile of the linemen the Browns are going for and he plays tackle for UMass so he's got some athletic ability as his size.

draftguru151
11-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Ummmm, can we skip/pick for the Vikings soon?

D-Unit
11-06-2009, 06:46 PM
Ummmm, can we skip/pick for the Vikings soon?
Just tell me who you want and I'll make sure you get him. ;)

fischbowl
11-06-2009, 11:56 PM
We going 4 or what?

Cicero
11-07-2009, 12:03 AM
You guys could have texted me and told me I was OTC lol. Let me figure out who I want here.

Cicero
11-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Does anyone have a guess if we're going four rounds? It might change my mind on who I want here.

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2009, 12:34 AM

I've had the opportunity to see a little tape on Ducasse. Guy is an absolute monster in terms of size, and he is actually pretty athletic, which surprised me.

Rosebud
11-07-2009, 12:52 AM
I like what detroit has done. If Capers is ready to make an impact early they've finally got a dependable OL. And defensively they still need some young studs, but Stroud and Merriman will drastically improve their DL, plus Rogers has the cover skills to give them a true number one corner that'll let them run some more aggressive blitz packages. Rogers can't catch a cold, but he's a good cover corner.

Cicero
11-07-2009, 12:57 AM
I don't want to be holding this up if we do go 4 rounds because I won't be on the computer for awhile tomorrow most likely. I'm just gonna make my pick.

D-Unit
11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
Steelers:

Acquired:
RB Larry Johnson
WR Johnnie Lee Higgins
5th Round Selection
DE Jerry Hughes (1st)
CB Jerome Murphy (3rd)
S Kam Chancellor (3rd)
OG Vladimir Ducasse (3rd)

Losses:
WR Limas Sweed

My thoughts here were to build depth, or at least get players who had the upside to learn for a few years and get the basic skills.

Larry Johnson gets a new start in Pittsburgh. All we lost was a #4 WR who simply couldn't get it done in the NFL. Willie Parker will be cut, and not enough was given up to say that Johnson can't be cut if he acts up. We also got Johnnie Lee Higgins to fill in as our #4 WR with some upside, speed, and returning ability if needed.

As for the draft, Jerry Hughes gives us a hard nosed, hard worker to develop behind James Harrison and to eventually take over for him. Jerome Murphy is a high upside corner who has been very inconsistent, but he is an amazing tackler and has size and speed. He is the type of guy the Steelers can bring around slowly. Kam Chancellor is excellent in the box safety depth who has been a playmaker for the Hokies. Finally, Ducasse is a HUGE guard who adds depth at multiple O-line positions.
Not a big fan of the Larry Johnson pick up. I really think the production you'll get from him versus the amount you have to pay for him won't ever match up. Even if you cut him, you take a cap hit.

Jerry Hughes is so perfect for the Steelers. He totally fits the mold of a hard nosed football player.

Don't know much about Murphy, but I've lost respect for Chancellor. He gets beat too much. He could very well be a nice NFL player though if he improves. He's very moldable.

thule tells me good things about Ducasse. I thought that was a very insightful pick. Would've loved to see the Steelers get a guy like Sergio Render though. He just screams "Steeler".

draftguru151
11-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Dolphins:
11. Miami Dolphins - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
43. Miami Dolphins - Damian Williams, WR, USC
75. Miami Dolphins - George Selvie, DE/OLB, USF
95. Miami Dolphins - Jeff Owens, DT, UGA

Acquired:
Jason Campbell
Devery Henderson

Lost:
Ted Ginn

A Perfect Score
11-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Dolphins:
11. Miami Dolphins - Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
43. Miami Dolphins - Damian Williams, WR, USC
75. Miami Dolphins - George Selvie, DE/OLB, USF
95. Miami Dolphins - Jeff Owens, DT, UGA

Acquired:
Jason Campbell
Devery Henderson

Lost:
Ted Ginn

I really like this draft. You addressed several positions of need, and Ginn needed to go. Not a fan of what you picked up for him, because I dont really see Henderson as an upgrade of any kind, but at least you got a 3rd as well. McClain is a beast, and Williams was someone I was looking at at 45 before you took him. Overall, great effort. Definitely A level material.

draftguru151
11-07-2009, 12:00 PM
You thought a 4th for Ginn was fair!

DeepThreat
11-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Not a big fan of the Larry Johnson pick up. I really think the production you'll get from him versus the amount you have to pay for him won't ever match up. Even if you cut him, you take a cap hit.

He wouldn't take any cap hit since he traded for him. All the cap hit goes to KC.

D-Unit
11-07-2009, 04:37 PM
He wouldn't take any cap hit since he traded for him. All the cap hit goes to KC.
How does that work? How much do the Steelers pay? I'm pretty sure traded players don't get new contracts.

DeepThreat
11-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Since KC gave him his signing bonus, they remaining pro-rated portion would immediately accelerate and none of that would go against the Steelers' cap, and they would face no penalties for moving him.

senormysterioso
11-07-2009, 04:41 PM
How does that work? How much do the Steelers pay? I'm pretty sure traded players don't get new contracts.

When a player is traded he doesn't count against the cap of the team that traded for him. The amount of prorated bonuses counts against the team's cap who traded him. So a traded player could be released without penalty.

D-Unit
11-07-2009, 04:48 PM
When a player is traded he doesn't count against the cap of the team that traded for him. The amount of prorated bonuses counts against the team's cap who traded him. So a traded player could be released without penalty.
So the Steelers just pay his base salary?

Learned something new today! +rep.

wonderbredd24
11-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Bonus stays with the old team
Salary goes to the new team

fenikz
11-07-2009, 04:52 PM
wow didn't know that at all, in the future ill be less weary of trading for big contracts

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2009, 04:55 PM
Yup, it's trading AWAY big contracts that kills your cap.

djp
11-08-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys, this mock ran really smoothly with everyone helping out.

We are gonna stop it here at 3 rounds.

vikes_28
11-08-2009, 10:27 PM
I don't know if people are still posting in here, but I'll post my mock anyways...

Received:
Renaldo Hill (Trade)
Travis Lewis (Draft)
Colt McCoy (Draft)
Zane Beadles (Draft)

Lost:
Anthony Herrera (Denver)

I like most of the draft moves. The only one I'm not sure about is McCoy, while I think it is a realistic pick, I do not like it. I love the Travis Lewis move, I think he would be a sexy beast in the vikings defense. Beadles was drafted to replace Herrera. The Hill trade was made because we needed a competent safety. And Hill is by far, a very good safety. Let me know what you guys think....

A Perfect Score
11-13-2009, 02:16 PM
Will Mel be doing draft grades for this draft? Or will anyone?

Todd Bertuzzi
11-24-2009, 09:32 PM
Edit: wrong thread.

djp
12-02-2009, 10:43 AM
One quick note on this

How the hell did Tampa get Eric Berry, Derrick Morgan, and Eric Decker? Talk about your all-time kick ass drafts.