PDA

View Full Version : Tight Ends

Paul
10-24-2009, 11:42 AM
When it comes to the deepest position in the league, I really believe Tight End is one of the most, if not the most, talented positions in the NFL at the moment. We all know what guys like Gonzo, Witten, Gates, Shockey and Clark can do, they all have a great body of work and have been in the top tier of TEs for awhile. Than you have guys like Owen Daniels, Tony Scheffler, Heath Miller, and Cooley, who all have established themselves as legitimate threats in the passings game and who are all still relatively young.

But now over the past couple of years, there seems to be a nice crop of under 25 TE's who have emerged, and who are all extremely talented and who may have the potential to surpass some the names I mentioned before. So my question would be, which one of these guys would you pick to be the best of the bunch in 4-5 years and why.

Greg Olsen
Zack Miller
John Carlson
Brent Celek
Dustin Keller
Vernon Davis
Other
(Poll will be up in a second)

For me I would have to go with Miller. Not the fastest or most athletic of the bunch, but he does remind me a lot of Witten (homerish I know), and maybe even a little quicker and faster then him. A big body who just knows how to get open. If the raiders can ever get a legitimate QB, I wouldn't be surprised to see Miller with a number of Pro-Bowls and All-Pros under his belt when it's all said and done.

Splat
10-24-2009, 11:46 AM
As good as Zach Miller is he could be so much better on a different team so I went with him.

Raiderz4Life
10-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Wow haha I'm surprised Zach has 4 votes....I was just being a homer

Shane P. Hallam
10-24-2009, 12:17 PM
For an all round game, give me Carlson. Guy can catch, he can block, he can basically do everything a TE is asked to do.

CashmoneyDrew
10-24-2009, 12:24 PM
My fantasy team has Jason Witten, John Carlson and Heath Miller.

Money.

ThePudge
10-24-2009, 12:27 PM
For an all round game, give me Carlson. Guy can catch, he can block, he can basically do everything a TE is asked to do.

Agreed. John Carlson is in only his second year and is already arguably the best TE on this list. He's a complete player and he's only really scratched the surface of his potential in the pass game.

Rosebud
10-24-2009, 01:05 PM
What no kevin boss? But seriously I went with Miller, I think the Witten comparison is very apt because both are high caliber blockers who have good strength and quickness but really excel because of hands a great nack for getting open.

Nalej
10-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Vernon Davis. Great blocker who excells in the passing game.

Gay Ork Wang
10-24-2009, 01:13 PM
Greg Olsen cause i am a homer

DoughBoy
10-24-2009, 01:43 PM
Zach Miller, dude would be great on any other offense in the NFL. **** Dustin Keller he has been **** for me on my fantasy team.

gsorace
10-24-2009, 01:47 PM
Dustin Keller decided to take this season off

I went with Miller because he looks good with JaMarcus Russell throwing to him.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Zach Miller would likely be a Pro Bowl selection if he wasn't playing for the Raiders. He is a balanced player who knows how to find holes in the zone.

MetSox17
10-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Vernon Davis. I'd love to see what he could do with an actual QB on his team.

Shiver
10-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Zach Miller would be a Jason Witten-type if he had a QB. Vernon Davis is a close runner-up, but he's been too inconsistent over his career.

datchapin
10-24-2009, 03:52 PM
I voted other. I didn't get why Owen Daniels wasn't on this list and V Davis was. They both came out in the same yr. and 5 yrs. from now OD should still be da man!

RaiderNation
10-24-2009, 04:01 PM
Gotta go with my man Zach Miller here. Good hands, decent speed and an underrated blocker. With out a doubt our #1 offensive weapon. With Schilens coming back he could get more opportunities to get the ball if Russell can be accurate.

If I didnt vote Miller, Id go Davis.

Rosebud
10-24-2009, 04:28 PM
I voted other. I didn't get why Owen Daniels wasn't on this list and V Davis was. They both came out in the same yr. and 5 yrs. from now OD should still be da man!

He's 26 and the OP listed guys 25 and younger. But yes Daniels is a beast.

BlindSite
10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
Carlson I have a major boner for him and there's nothing required of the TE position he cannot do.

bored of education
10-24-2009, 04:31 PM
John Carlson.

umphrey
10-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Jermichael Finley is a better athlete than any of those guys except for VD and he is actually a hard worker, all around player who is just starting to make a name for himself and might just end up the best

vikes_28
10-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Jermichael Finley is a better athlete than any of those guys except for VD and he is actually a hard worker, all around player who is just starting to make a name for himself and might just end up the best

Finley hasn't proved much yet. When he starts putting up numbers like Gonzo or Gates, then I will agree with you. But not yet. I think that Visanthe Shiancoe is seriously underrated in this thread, and in the NFL.

PackerLegend
10-24-2009, 05:53 PM
Finley hasn't proved much yet. When he starts putting up numbers like Gonzo or Gates, then I will agree with you. But not yet. I think that Visanthe Shiancoe is seriously underrated in this thread, and in the NFL.

PDon't all you Viking fans hate him? Atleast I remember you guys used to.

Grizzlegom
10-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Zach Miller would be in the "best TE in the league" convo if he had a QB who could throw it anywhere near him.

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2009, 07:37 PM
He's 26 and the OP listed guys 25 and younger. But yes Daniels is a beast.

I think a lot of people believe Daniels has already broken out too. I think a little point of this thread was to guess the next TE to be really good in this league.

Hurricanes25
10-24-2009, 07:41 PM
Dustin Keller decided to take this season off

I went with Miller because he looks good with JaMarcus Russell throwing to him.

Sanchez is the reason why Keller is having an off year. But thats a whole nother arguement.

On topic, Zach Miller would be the best TE in the league if he had a capable starting QB. He has it all.

yo123
10-24-2009, 07:43 PM
PDon't all you Viking fans hate him? Atleast I remember you guys used to.

Because he used to be terrible. He would seriously drop every 3rd or 4th ball thrown to him. I really have no idea what happened, but he's a damn good player now.

Stash
10-24-2009, 11:37 PM
Zach attack! Carlson would be my second choice, he looks really good as well.

the decider13
10-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I'm a big times Zach Miller lover. He is just crazy. Carlson is close 2nd for me, with Olsen at 3rd. Love all three of them.

ElectricEye
10-25-2009, 12:28 AM
Carlson. He's a complete tight end in every sense of the world. Vernon Davis is playing at a really high level, but let's see him sustain it. He's certainly the most athletically gifted of all these guys, but I would take Miller and Carlson over him at the moment. Much more consistent, albeit in a limited body of work. Carlson is so good.

GB12
10-25-2009, 12:32 AM

What the **** are you talking about? That's the whole point of this thread. If he had been putting up Gonzalez and Gates numbers then he'd already be one of the best tight ends in the league and he wouldn't be mentioned here.

And you if your setting your standards at Gates and Gonzalez then get the **** out of here with Shiancoe.

ElectricEye
10-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Love Jermichael Finley. Amazing talent, Packers have a real find in him. His numbers have come in bunches thus far, but should even out once he finishes beating Donald Lee out.

vikes_28
10-25-2009, 01:30 AM
What the **** are you talking about? That's the whole point of this thread. If he had been putting up Gonzalez and Gates numbers then he'd already be one of the best tight ends in the league and he wouldn't be mentioned here.

And you if your setting your standards at Gates and Gonzalez then get the **** out of here with Shiancoe.

Shiancoe > all. Calm down big guy. Why so defensive, holy ****.

General Zod
10-25-2009, 01:43 AM
Because he used to be terrible. He would seriously drop every 3rd or 4th ball thrown to him. I really have no idea what happened, but he's a damn good player now.

Seriously, the guy catches everything thrown at him and he is a better then average blocker for a TE.

Shank-O!!

eaglesalltheway
10-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Its Miller for me, and its not because of his performance last week, lol. I told my friend before that game if Miller was on any other team he'd be a Pro-Bowl Lock this year. Unfortuantely for me, I proved right.

Raiderz4Life
10-25-2009, 02:01 AM
Celek and his 3 votes are a bit surprising...I believe if Ingram can recover properly from his injury he could overtake Celek as the starter and I don't believe Philly uses a lot of 2 TE sets.

I do like Celek though...he's on my FF team 8D

Rosebud
10-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Boss>Shiancoe > all. Calm down big guy. Why so defensive, holy ****.

Fixed kjafsd;l

SuperMcGee
10-25-2009, 02:28 AM
I was almost surprised there wasn't more Celek talk, even if I expected and agreed with this much love for Miller/Carlson.

He was Money McMoney in the playoffs, and now he's on pace for 1200 yards. Usually things like that get people talking (or at least make those people feel stupid for saying he was a dropoff from LJ Smith. Yes, they existed as recently as this offseason)

Shiancoe > all. Calm down big guy. Why so defensive, holy ****.

I almost made the same post before seeing his. Because he's right.

vikes_28
10-25-2009, 02:42 AM
Obviously I'm not that big of a homer. Shiancoe isn't close to Gates or Gonzo, but he deserves mention. Did I forget to tell you that I didn't read all the way through the first post? I just said Shiancoe > all to stir things up a bit. Why so hostile people.

SuperMcGee
10-25-2009, 03:17 AM
Obviously I'm not that big of a homer. Shiancoe isn't close to Gates or Gonzo, but he deserves mention. Did I forget to tell you that I didn't read all the way through the first post? I just said Shiancoe > all to stir things up a bit. Why so hostile people.

I hope this is not a sarcastic tone, and I hope you don't read mine incorrectly as "hostile", but not reading what the topic is about and just posting what you want about your team's guy does make you a pretty big homer.

Rosebud
10-25-2009, 03:25 AM

Because Shiancoe's pretty mediocre at best?

SenorGato
10-25-2009, 10:02 AM
Agreed. John Carlson is in only his second year and is already arguably the best TE on this list. He's a complete player and he's only really scratched the surface of his potential in the pass game.

He and Kevin Boss were ridiculously underrated prospects.

Malaka
10-25-2009, 11:15 AM
I have pimped Zach Miller for the I don't know how long, but he's truly a beast, I would wet my pants if he was the Giants TE. He does it all block, catch, etc.

A Perfect Score
10-25-2009, 12:04 PM
I went with Carlson. Hes old school. Some of the other guys may be more athletic, a la Keller or Davis, but Carlson to me is what the TE position should be. Hard nosed, great spacial awareness, soft hands, great blocker. I really like him.

NIN1984
10-25-2009, 12:18 PM
Zach Miller is on best player on the Raiders offense and he had the slowest 40x, isn't that just so funny, Al. Anyway I also think the TE in Seattle John Carlson is awesome, every time I happen to watch the Hawks, Carlson is catching everything in site.

Celek, Olsen and Jermichael Finley could also become great, lots of great young tight ends right now.

vikes_28
10-25-2009, 01:24 PM
I hope this is not a sarcastic tone, and I hope you don't read mine incorrectly as "hostile", but not reading what the topic is about and just posting what you want about your team's guy does make you a pretty big homer.

I honestly didn't read through the entire first post. I'm not a homer.

GB12
10-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Well then you're just stupid. You shouldn't post in a thread without reading the first post.

jimmylishis
10-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Vikes' argument is legitimate. Even though Shiancoe is not under 25, he is starting to emerge as one of the NFLs best TEs. Vikes was not being a homer all he said was that shank is underrated in this forum and around the league and made a joke. Chill out people

Paul
10-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Wrong thread

TitanHope
10-25-2009, 04:39 PM
I honestly didn't read through the entire first post. I'm not a homer.

Read OP, lest be hounded. Do not, and all your rep points are belong to us.

;)

Flyboy
10-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Vernon Davis but Singletary has to be his personal coach.