PDA

View Full Version : How to fix/rebuild the worst teams in the NFL

killxswitch
10-26-2009, 01:17 PM
The Larry Johnson vs. Todd Haley thread got me thinking. People were talking about what player and staff changes it would take to make the Chiefs a contender. I think this is a great topic considering how many bad teams there are right now. Parity is kind of dead this year.

So, what will it take to fix or rebuild the following teams:

KC Chiefs
Cleveland Browns
St. Louis Rams
Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Bucs
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins
Oakland Raiders
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

Add other teams if you like, those just seem like the worst with no clear direction or roadmap.

Let's get specific, with coaching and front office changes, scheme changes, cuts, additions, draft picks, etc. With some of these teams I have no idea what strengths (if any) there are to build around. It would be neat to have the answers to questions like that in one thread rather than having to research all over the web.

nepg
10-26-2009, 01:38 PM
The Chiefs just need some OL help, a WR, TE, and time. The biggest thing for them, right now, is getting rid of the old team leaders that won't buy into what Haley and Pioli are doing (Waters, LJ, DJ).

St. Louis needs a QB, a couple improvements for receiving options, and defensive depth. The biggest thing with the Rams is just time. From all indicators and from what's come out of St. Louis, things are developing well, but they just need more time to pull together.

Cleveland...they need OL help on the right side, an efficient veteran QB, and receiving options. On defense, they need to improve their pass rush, though sacks is the least concern for Mangini (or any Belichick disciple).

Tennessee is probably due for a regime change. Fisher's obviously tired of being there, and the owner is a loon. They could probably use a new QB. Add defensive depth all-around, and they'll be fine.

Tampa's just a mess. They had probably the most dissappointing off-season of any team. That's a super-young team that just needs to continue to develop and add talent (and not totally screw up when they have a ridiculous amount of cap room and great draft position).

The Bills need to get their OL revamped and probably clean house on offense, all-around. Bring in an offensive coach like Jeremy Bates.

The Redskins are lost. Their OL is trash, and they never use the draft well. They'll never be fixed because Snyder is horrible.

Raiders have a ton of talent. Again, the owner is the only thing holding this team back. They need to get rid of Jamarcus Russell...replace him with anyone.

The Lions are on the right track. They need help at CB, DL, and an LT, but there's not too much more they need to do.

Panthers just need to ditch Delhomme...maybe try to upgrade their old receiving corps a bit.

Seahawks just need a QB that can stay healthy and some young OL.

CC.SD
10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
Tampa might be the most screwed up, but to me they have the most obvious fix. They have Josh Freeman hanging around. Draft BPA on defense and O-line and then pray you have something legit with this guy. If they can get him started they'll be a helluva lot further along than some of the other teams on this list.

Yes it pains me to type this, sorry JJ.

Shiver
10-26-2009, 01:43 PM
The Larry Johnson vs. Todd Haley thread got me thinking. People were talking about what player and staff changes it would take to make the Chiefs a contender. I think this is a great topic considering how many bad teams there are right now. Parity is kind of dead this year.

So, what will it take to fix or rebuild the following teams:

KC Chiefs
Cleveland Browns
St. Louis Rams
Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Bucs
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins
Oakland Raiders
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

Add other teams if you like, those just seem like the worst with no clear direction or roadmap.

Let's get specific, with coaching and front office changes, scheme changes, cuts, additions, draft picks, etc. With some of these teams I have no idea what strengths (if any) there are to build around. It would be neat to have the answers to questions like that in one thread rather than having to research all over the web.

Good idea for a thread. I like it, let's try and go beyond just your own team. That will keep it interesting and the perspectives fresh. No one wants to hear me complain about Brent Grimes.

Kansas City

If they got a LT, someone who could come in and play (well) right away, they could move Albert inside to Guard and fix 2/5 of the O-Line with one acquisition. That and adding a young RB in the draft and the offense would be fine.

On defense the only real weakness (they could use another pass rusher, a 3-4 NT, etc.) is the safeties, the Chiefs may have the worst pair in the league with John McGraw and Mike Brown, both of whom are getting a Christmas card from Miles Austin for winning him the starting job.

Oakland

Where to start? I like the 3-RB they have and Chaz Schilens and Zach Miller. They just need to get a QB who can complete passes and not make horrendous mistakes. If they could get anything from the QB position it would take pressure off that defense and make it a lot better.

Detroit

I don't know why but the Lions continue to act as if the O-Line doesn't matter. Why they passed on Michael Oher for a TE is beyond me. Until they get a great O-Line it doesn't matter how many "stud" QB, RB and WR prospects they accumulate, it won't work.

Tampa Bay

It seems to me that Jon Gruden always leaves a team with the cubbard bare. He acquires all of these old, aging players that he can win with for a few years and then the whole thing falls apart. Look at Oakland in 2003-now and the Bucs are in the same place. They can get back in it with a few good drafts, but right now they need a lot of work everywhere. I do like Josh Freeman though.

Carolina

We all know what the Panthers need, they have had the same problems for the past three years. They have no #2 WR (34+ year old Keyshawn Johnson and Muhsin Muhammad?) and a mediocre at best and now terrible QB. Yet, for whatever reason things haven't changed a lot since the 2003 Super Bowl. I think its time to get rid of Fox and get a fresh start. They have a lot of talent though, Davis and Beason are tremendous LB, Peppers can still dominate a game, Williams and Stewart are awesome RB and Steve Smith is still Steve Smith.

bigbuc
10-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Tampa Bay we need DT,DE,CB,WR,OLB help.

First we need to let Jim Bates go, thats a must. Who knows if Morris ends up staying or going, think that one comes down to one or less wins and if John Gurden gets a job so they won't be paying two coaches. Lets just say he stays. Will be looking for new OC and DC. Would want the new OC to bring a power running game. Hate this zone blocking stuff. New DC still want a 4/3 but with more of a one gap system... Bates has us two gaping right now and its just not working.

Draft- We need so much help on the D line it's nuts! By far the worst D line in the NFL. Should go Suh or McCoy with the top 3 pick, then DE or DT again with the top 3 second round pick. Maybe get a WR with the pick that we got from Chicago.

We need to spend some of our cap space. First on our good players that play for us. Our LT Penn, MLB Ruud. Then we need to get some Vets in here that know how to win. When your team becomes to young ( like right now ) they don't know how to be Pro's... it's just a lot of rich young guys, and that never turns out well.

We just need a clear plan and follow it to a T. Don't know if Morris is right now and if he is I don't see it.

Brothgar
10-26-2009, 02:33 PM
KC Chiefs
Cleveland Browns
Isn't it obvious trade for more Jets players.

St. Louis Rams
St. Louis needs time more than anything else. They did the same thing that many successful franchises do they keep their old talent too long for nostalgia. They need to rebuild the offense from scratch. Get rid of Stephen Jackson for some extra picks. NE has a crap ton of 2nd rounders. This draft promises to be a Junior heavy draft so it should be a damn deep one.

Tennessee Titans
Ok so here would be my plan for the Titans.
1. Bench Collins and see what if anything you have with Vince Young.
2. When you find the answer is nothing find a QB of the future although I'm not a huge fan of this year's QB class which means they will have to trade for one ideally I would look at one of Philly's two QBs if the Eagles are impressed with Kolb take McNabb for a 2nd rnd pick as a stop gap if they love McNabb trade two seconds for Kolb (Kolb's age makes him worth more).
3. Concentrate this draft on Corners and DEs. The Titans are dead last in pass D in spite of outsacking their opponents 11 to 6. This should also help in the TO ratio which they stand at a staggering -10.

Tampa Bay Bucs
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins
Oakland Raiders
Relieve Al Davis of GM duties.

Detroit Lions
Stay the course it took 8 years to turn the Lions from a 10 win team to a 0 win team and it is harder to go up than it is to go down. But assuming Staff stays healthy with his knee this is what they need to do.

1. Find a real LT Backus isn't doing it. This draft is deep in DT so we should take LT with the first pick.

Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

All TBC.

P-L
10-26-2009, 02:40 PM
I finally think the Lions are on the right track. Mayhew has been making good decisions ever since Matt Millen was fired. First he robbed Jerry Jones by getting a 1st, 3rd, and 6th for Roy Williams. Then had a productive draft grabbing what looks like four future starters.

The offensive and defensive lines are still a mess, so that's where I'd go from here. Aside from Dominic Raiola and Gosder Cherilus, our offensive line is good awful. As far as the defensive line goes, no one has shown more than occasional flashes. The linebackers are much improved, but the secondary is still very weak outside of Louis Delmas.

Overall, I think the Lions are finally on the right track. They just need to get more talent.

wicket
10-26-2009, 02:49 PM
exchange the pettigrew pick for a pick of oher and the lions would already be just 2-3 years away of a decent/good team imo.
Most other teams just need to realise that they are pretty bad right now and need to rebuild.
carolina just needs a qb (any qb really)

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
The skins will never be on track until Daniel Snyder dies.

killxswitch
10-26-2009, 02:57 PM
The skins will never be on track until Daniel Snyder dies.

Damn that's depressing. Same for the Raiders and Uncle Al I guess.

drowe
10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
good thread idea.

1-If I'm running the Tampa Bay Bucs:
-I know that my offensive line is in decent shape and I just drafted my QB of the future (i hope). I also have a dynamic TE in K2, and can hopefully get a couple more years out of Antonio Bryant.
-So, this offseason, it's all about defense. We need a big game changing presense on the d-line...luckily, there are a couple that will be there at the top of the draft. Early in the second round, i feel like the value is gonna be in the secondary. safety or CB.
-In free agency, I'd want veteran roll players...probably linebackers and pass rushers. Not gonna spend big money this year. just some bodies that can come in and bring some credibiliity to the defense.

2-If I'm running the St. Louis Rams:
-I know that the team can't be competitive with the current situation at QB. my early round 1 pick needs to be the QB of the future. Knowing I have Donnie Avery as a deep threat for the foreseeable future, I want a guy with a big arm...probably Jake Locker.
-I also know that outside of the aforementioned deep threat, there isn't much in the WR department. We have a great RB and a young, emerging o-line to help the QB, but we'll need a big target in the passing game. should be good value in round 2. somebody like Eric Decker or Demaryius Thomas.
-The defense is very much a work in progress. I'm still holding out hope that Chris Long can get it together. with Lauranitis at LB and Bartell and Atogwe in the secondary, things aren't too far off. reminds me of the Bengals a few years ago...we knew they had talent on defense...it just wasn't showing in the games. so, i'm gonna look for a big DT in free agency. a versatile lineman that can play DT or DE. If he can help Carriker and Long reach their potential, he's worth a big FA contract.

3-If I'm running the Detroit Lions;
-this one is easy. big dudes. The Lions have almost gone out of their way to ignore the football cliche; 'it all starts up front'. yes, they have a stud WR, a good looking young QB, a ball hawking safety, a promising TE and a decent RB. but, nothing on either lines. My 2010 draft will include very few people under 275 lbs. BFAA. Best Fatass available. Best o-lineman. then best d-lineman...or vice versa. point is, we have the weapons. now we need to build a foundation.
-in free agency, I'm looking for CBs. and i'll spend good money for one.

4-If I'm running the Cleveland Browns;
-This is tough. We need everything. and we really needed to come away with more impact players than we did in the 2009 draft. things are rough. my o-line is solid. but, we have terrible QB play, WRs that we can only hope will emerge, no weapons at RB, a bad secondary and zero pass rush.
-In the draft, I'm going BPA. If that means a QB in the top 10, then that's what will happen. there is no area of our team that the best player available would be a bad idea.
-In free agency, I'm fully aware that we are more than a good signing or 2 away from competing. we have a roster full of underachievers and Jets backups. So, i'm going bargain hunting. If i can get a couple pieces at the right price, I'm doing it.
-So, yeah, i'm going into the offseason with no plan.

5-If I'm running the Kansas City Chiefs;
-my plan starts with the young guys that are on the fringe of either emerging...or not...Dorsey, Jackson, Albert, Flowers...and, my expensive QB, Matt Cassell.
-also, LJ is out. Jammaal Charles is my RB. and I'm gonna get a big bruiser to compliment him. It will be a change of philosophy in the running game, but things couldn't get worse.
-after that...an edge rushing OLB, a safety or 2, and the best o-lineman available. whether it's through FA or the draft, I know what i need, and I know what I have to build around.

more bad teams later...maybe.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-26-2009, 03:06 PM

That's my motivation to eat healthy, I figure if I at least make it to 70 years old Snyder will have to be gone by then and I can finally live my final years in life seeing the Skins under new management.

BuddyCHRIST
10-26-2009, 03:11 PM
Redskins and Raiders will never be consistent franchises if their current owners continue their ways. It's been shown time and time again that to build a good, stable franchise that you have to build through the draft and do your homework, getting your types of players. But both teams waste money in FA on big name players, and then they get the types of personalities that foster laziness.

Russell is the type of guy who needed strong leadership around him if he was ever going to suceed. You don't take a QB with work ethic issues, stick him in a crap hole with a bunch of other players who are only there to get paid, and expect good results.

Same thing with the Redskins and Campbell, now I don't want to make too many excuses for the guy but some coaching stability might have helped his development. Can't be easy learning a new offense almost every year.

Brent
10-26-2009, 03:13 PM
St. Louis Rams
I actually think the Rams are doing the right things but when you are devoid of a lot of talent, you have to start from scratch.

Oakland Raiders
Another team that looks to have a ton of talent but they just lack an accurate QB and Murphy looks like a 1st rounder, not DHB.

Detroit Lions
I really like the direction they are going, should be interesting to see how the next draft or two ends up.

Carolina Panthers
I hope they keep tanking this year, I want that pick to keep moving up.

Seattle Seahawks
Injuries and some holes are what I see as the problems.

Bengalsrocket
10-26-2009, 03:19 PM
I hope they keep tanking this year, I want that pick to keep moving up.

What's the advice here? lol

wonderbredd24
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
For the Browns, it simply comes down to adding talent.

There were maybe 8 or 9 legitimately good NFL players when Mangini/Kokinis got here. He traded 2 of them (Winslow was damaged goods and Braylon wanted out) for picks and players because the team was so filled with holes. Despite that, Phil Savage had already hijacked Mangini's first draft by trading away 3 of its picks, so even with the trades down, the Browns only ended up with 8 picks.

Currently, the Browns have 11 picks in the 2010 Draft, so the FO has to make those picks count if they want to turn this team around.

Personally, because of the horrible lack of talent, I think quarterback is a bad idea. I also think if they do not get a QB with their 1st pick, it's a waste of time. Suh, Berry, and McCoy are the 3 elite talents in this draft, so getting one of them would be ideal.

They need to finish building the offensive line (the right side is attrocious), develop a consistent running game, and build Rob Ryan's defense. Go with what Mangini knows.

And then it's imperative to fire Brian Daboll, who is a horrible OC.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
People rag on the Pettigrew pick but Pettigrew is Oline aid for sure. Think if the Lions draft Okung(or another stud LT) with Pettigrew next to him and Gosder on the other side. Now that is a fierce looking Tackle/Tight End blocking combo for years. Run off tackle every play since our guards suck. Loper not working out, and Peterman was resigned but just doesn't cut it.

Lions stud DT and stud LT however they fall in Round 1 and 2. Corner in free agency and pay for one as stated. Then a corner or guard in Round 3. Pass rush needs to be more consistent. Decent number of sacks this year but its not consistent. I think a stud DT getting interior rush will help our DEs especially Avril. Julian Peterson can still do some things in that department as well.

Haven't really followed the other teams this year enough to comment.

LizardState
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
KC Chiefs
Cleveland Browns
St. Louis Rams
Tennessee Titans
Tampa Bay Bucs
Buffalo Bills
Washington Redskins
Oakland Raiders
Detroit Lions
Carolina Panthers
Seattle Seahawks

It's been many a season since I've seen this many teams with this many godawful W-L rcds. this far into the yr. I expect polarization within 32 teams, haves & have-nots, but damn!

Of these teams, 2 (Skins, Raiders) have meddlesome owners who need to be taken out behind a bldg. & shot for anything meaningful to happen that might turn their teams around.

One (Buffalo) has a 91-yr-old owner just inducted into the HoF & one foot in Toronto where the League is forcing out across an international border to eat into the CFL mkt. I can't see how that is in any way going to improve the W-L rcd. & is almost almost guaranteed to make things far worse.

And one other (Rams) is the most demoralized team I've ever seen, the most likely to go winless but Cleveland could be another one. And they're for sale for an asking price of twice or more what they're worth in this down economy, no takers..... the future for St. Louis looks gloomier than anywhere in the NFL IMO. I wouldn't be surprised to see their draft picks go the UFL or CFL rather than play there.

wicket
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM

but Al at least is old

FlyingElvis
10-26-2009, 03:37 PM
4-If I'm running the Cleveland Browns;
-This is tough. We need everything. and we really needed to come away with more impact players than we did in the 2009 draft. things are rough. my o-line is solid. but, we have terrible QB play, WRs that we can only hope will emerge, no weapons at RB, a bad secondary and zero pass rush.
-In the draft, I'm going BPA. If that means a QB in the top 10, then that's what will happen. there is no area of our team that the best player available would be a bad idea.
-In free agency, I'm fully aware that we are more than a good signing or 2 away from competing. we have a roster full of underachievers and Jets backups. So, i'm going bargain hunting. If i can get a couple pieces at the right price, I'm doing it.
-So, yeah, i'm going into the offseason with no plan.

hhmmmm . . . this sounds suspiciously like drowe = Eric Mangini??

DeathbyStat
10-26-2009, 03:41 PM
KC Chiefs-Find a a franchise left tackle, an elite pass rusher and a coach that the team will respect

Cleveland Browns-Find a franchise QB, an elite pass rusher and another receiver

St. Louis Rams-Find franchise QB and an elite pass rusher

Tennessee Titans-Fire Jeff Fisher, draft Gerald Mccoy or Suh, give Vince Young one more chance

Tampa Bay Bucs-Draft Mccoy, find franchise Qb and elite pass rusher

Buffalo Bills-Fire Dick decide if Edwards is the future

Washington Redskins-Fire Zorn..hire Holmgren...decide once and for all if campbell is the future

Oakland Raiders-suffocate Al Davis, Trade Russel, drop drafting solely on 40 times

Detroit Lions-Find franchise Left Tackle and elite pass rusher

Carolina Panthers-Find some way to get rid of Jake, find a number 2 reciever

Seattle Seahawks-Fire Mora...find a replacement for Hassleback

tjsunstein
10-26-2009, 04:09 PM
The Titans and Raiders are a consistent quarterback away. The Titans secondary needs some help as well and the Raiders are just too young and immature.

The Redskins need to decide what they're future is. They sign players to be contracts yet are still up in the air about their franchise quarterback. Spend the money wisely. Find a capable GM and have a plan.

scottyboy
10-26-2009, 04:11 PM
draft them more Rutgers players

wonderbredd24
10-26-2009, 04:12 PM
draft them more Rutgers players

I'd welcome Savage to Sanu in 2 years

RaiderNation
10-26-2009, 04:34 PM
For Oakland I really believe we have alot of talent. The defense is as talented as most any other D's, sure we could use a SLB and a DT but they are good enough to win games. The offence is the problem. Russell is not our future QB, if we can get a vet QB, a RG and a RT we should be alright. Bush, Fargas and DMC are good RB's and our WR's are young.

Only way we make big changes to the coaching scheme is when Al is gone. We are finally blitzing more which is showing us that our D is good, but enough of the deep passing game

LizardState
10-26-2009, 04:57 PM
For Oakland I really believe we have alot of talent. The defense is as talented as most any other D's, sure we could use a SLB and a DT but they are good enough to win games. The offence is the problem. Russell is not our future QB, if we can get a vet QB, a RG and a RT we should be alright. Bush, Fargas and DMC are good RB's and our WR's are young.

Only way we make big changes to the coaching scheme is when Al is gone. We are finally blitzing more which is showing us that our D is good, but enough of the deep passing game

Oakland isn't among the horrible teams for a change this yr. They can get it done with that defense Ryan built. I've always been a big Kirk Morrison & Ndami Asomugha fan, they were smart to FP Asomugha.

Their offense on the other hand, ohhhh (facepalm) Well, they have to rebuild the o-line, & they have a Pro Bowl quality TE as a cornerstone. They have 3 RBs who, when healthy are as good as any in the AFC West not named Moreno, maybe better, & they need a new QB. Some better receivers (I have zero faith in Heyward-Bey), 2-3 OLs & a QB, they're 3 drafts away.

TitanHope
10-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Firing Fisher isn't the #1 way for the Titans to rebound. He's not the reason for the losses. The losing has been caused by several minor problems, unfortunate circumstances, and outright bad luck, which has all combined into a snowball effect, fittingly culminating to pointbreak in a game played in a blizzard (Well, a blizzard compared to Tennessean standards! ;)).

If I had reign over the Titans, I'd put Fisher in charge of defensive play-calling. Chuck Cecil will remain DC in title, but by not having play-calling responsibilities, he can catch up to the role and also spend extra time on the secondary. Marcus Robertson took over the DB Coach position when Cecil was promoted, and the secondary now looks worse under Robertson. By having Cecil contribute as a position coach again, he'll be able to coach up the rookies who've been thrusted into starting roles and also help bridge the gap between his intentions as a DC and the roles and responsibilities that the Safeties will have.

Early in his career, Jim Schwartz fielded terrible defenses. Titans fans hated Statistical Jim, and didn't like his conservative scheme for a defense that lacked talent. In 2006, the Titans DEF was the worst in the NFL, although it greatly improved toward the end of the season when Haynesworth returned from suspension. Patience paid off with Schwartz, so perhaps the same will hold true for Cecil.

As for the QB situation, Kerry Collins should get the Jacksonville game to prove whether or not it's in the team's best interest to start Vince Young for the rest of the season. It's imperative to make a decision on the QB of the future before the Draft. If VY shows he's ready, then pass on a 1st RD QB and take the pass-rusher. If VY doesn't show enough, then it's time to move on and invest that early 1st RD pick on a franchise QB. BBD was right when he doubted the Titans because the inferior QB play. The Titans will never win the Super Bowl without a franchise QB who can lead the team to victory. VY has said that he'll restructure his deal to stay in Tennessee, but I hope he doesn't have to by returning to the player we all know he can be.

The team is also set to lose several starters/contributing players - LenDale White, Kevin Mawae*, Eugene Amano, Kyle Vanden Bosch*, Tony Brown, Jevon Kearse*, Keith Bulluck*, Stephen Tulloch, and Nick Harper* (*Signifies a player over the age of 30 years old; Players in italics would be RFA's in CBA isn't extended). If it's possible to tender LenWhale or Brown, and trade them for picks, then that may be a wise decision since a big draft class is needed to help fill in the roster after losing so many guys. Moves in FA would also take place, but I expect mostly low-key signings - although, I wouldn't be surprised if the team goes after a single position and pays at or above market value for him, preferrably CB or LB. They'll have an early 1st RD'er, an early 3rd RD'er, and a 3rd RD compensatory pick for losing Haynesworth that they'll be able to use to fill needs through the Draft.

I think things can be turned around fairly quickly, thanks to the OL and young, marquee players like Chris Johnson, Cortland Finnegan, Michael Griffin, Jason Jones, and Kenny Britt if he continues to get better. If Fisher does go, the next HC certainly doesn't have an empty cupboard.

vidae
10-26-2009, 05:16 PM
For the Chiefs:

On offense, we need to ditch LJ completely and rebuild that offensive line. Cassel could use another weapon and we need to get a RB here who can carry the workload and isn't an asshat.

On defense, we need a pass rushing OLB opposite Tamba Hali and we are in huge need of a playmaking safety. NT is a trouble spot now that we traded away Tank Tyler, but no one from this draft would make the impact that a safety or OLB would. Eric Berry please.

I'd also like to see us hire an Offensive Coordinator rather than let Haley call his own plays. That was one of the biggest mistakes this year for this team. Not necessarily the firing of Chan Gailey but the decision to call his own plays.

keylime_5
10-26-2009, 05:51 PM
good WR, good QB, more depth on defense. actually to fix the browns, you probably need a new owner, gm, coach, and city.....worked last time. cleveland is cursed.

fenikz
10-26-2009, 06:55 PM
The Whisenhunt approach:

Bring in hard-nosed, veteran coaches, to help establish a winning atmosphere(Grimm, Haley, Davis, Austin, Aiken, Miller).

Figure out your core and build around it(Wilson, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Warner, Dansby, Dockett).

Don't skip in scouting, late round steals can become cheap starters(Breaston - 5th, Ben Patrick - 7th, Kenny Iwebema - 4th, Tim Hightower - 5th, LaRod Stephens-Howling - 7th).

Rookies must contribute on special teams, I don't know how many times this year & last that a rookie of ours has made a huge tackle or opened up a big hole for a return.

nepg
10-26-2009, 07:01 PM
You said "scouting" in relation to the Cardinals. That's funny.

More like, "See which players the internet message boards like the most, and take the most-hyped one at each pick." I really don't think they have anything that would resemble a professional sports franchise scouting department.

fenikz
10-26-2009, 07:09 PM
That was the Dennis Green approach, Rod Graves is a better drafter.

PoopSandwich
10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
Cleveland Browns.

1.) Fire Mangini, Kolkinis, DABOLL - If I am rebuilding this team as the owner I am going to go out and pay someone who has been successful, won playoff games, and held a franchise up for 5+ years. I wold look in the direction of Cowher first but if he is not up for it there are plenty of other coaches that would have more respect in the locker room and do a better job managing personnel than Mangini does. The Browns could still have Kellen Winslow Braylon Edwards and drafted Michael Crabtree. I don't really care who you have at QB in that case, if they are somewhat decent you are going to have a productive offense.

2.) Build around the QB, not through it. The Browns have tried the approach of getting a young qb and bringing him in and playing him three or four different times now (Couch, Frye, Anderson, Quinn.) The problem is only one of those guys ever had anything around him to be productive (Anderson in 2007). When you look at the successful young QB in the league lately they have had a great supporting cast around them. Roethlisberger, Rivers, Manning, Ryan, Flacco ETC. The Browns need to get a stud running back and a right side of the line, this will help a young QB and open up the passing game.

3.) Start over on defense - Brandon Mcdonald, David Bowens, Kenyon Coleman, and Eric Barton are examples of situational players. McDonald would be cut today if I were the coach, he has no tackling skills and plays with a permanent 5 yard cushion, one of the worst defensive backs I have ever seen.

4.) Start by stacking one side of the ball - I believe it is beneficial to load up on one side of the ball and try to build the other side up but not have as much attention on it as the other side. This allows you to establish an identity and then focus future draft picks to build up the other side while using free agency to fill voids that are caused by retirements/injuries/free agency.

5.) Get a veteran receiver that is actually good - The Browns are relying on two rookies (one who isn't ready yet and one who drops half the balls thrown to him.) and a couple of lousy veteran receivers. They need to get someone their QB can throw the ball to. No matter who is there at QB right now it does not matter, the receivers don't get open and when they do they don't catch the ball.

PalmerToCJ
10-26-2009, 08:18 PM
While the Raiders and Redskins have equally awful owners as the Bengals do, somehow our owner not trying as hard works better.

Seriously, you have to give Snyder SOME credit... The guy tries as hard as anyone, just a shame he has no idea what he is doing. He's like the guy in your fantasy football league that has twice as many moves made as anyone else yet he's in 2nd to last place... Behind 4 guys who haven't checked their team since the draft.

I have no idea what would fix the Browns.

I actually like where the Lions are going. The Rams are just in a massive transition period.

scottyboy
10-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I'd welcome Savage to Sanu in 2 years

no! they're staying all 4 years here so maybe 3 years.

Brown Leader
10-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Browns owner Lerner needs to look at what the Dolphins and Parcells did. Forget the record- the Browns are the least competitive team in the league-it honestly looks as though Gini's already lost the team as they are getting worse week to week. If this years draft is any indication stock piling picks is not going to do it. Cam failed so miserably in his first year with the Dolphins he was out-same needs to go for Mngini-but especially because there are some experienced winning coaches out there who want to coach-1.Shanahan and likely 2.Fisher or even 3.Gruden. Even if Cowher wants to coach I don't think it would be in Cleveland for this owner.

Raiders need to get Russell a good LT and some decent protection to really see what he is. He's not a natural and looks shook but he's not had good players around him to help him out. Striking out on a good vet WR in Walker and not having any pass protectors has set his development back. If 3 pro bowlers or near that are found at LT, WR and DE I think Oak could see 10w and playoffs. Jeff Fisher could make that happen.

Spag just needs pass rushers and a mobile QB.

Bucs need a run game and a good LT for Freeman next year. And start getting a starting caliber front six around Ruud.

Panthers simply need to fire who's ever been sticking with Delhomme. Vick could have made Carolina a threat.

Skins poor Oline is getting Zorn fired. Maby tonight. Eagles dancing on the sideline -jus wrong.

bored of education
10-26-2009, 08:30 PM
For the Chiefs. I should stop being the Chiefs fan so that they can win more than 5 games.

Brent
10-26-2009, 08:53 PM
What's the advice here? lol
To continue starting Delhomme, and then next season, start Matt Moore or someone they take in round 2.

DeepThreat
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
Let Mangini do what he wants.

nepg
10-26-2009, 09:18 PM
That was the Dennis Green approach, Rod Graves is a better drafter.

He took over in 2002 and they've been drafting that way (still does) since at least 2003. Can't really tell from the 2002 draft because my memory of it is blurry, and all those picks were busts.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Sign Drew Brees in free agency. Don't let the shoulder injury scare you.

NIN1984
10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Sign free agent Chad Pennington draft an OT maybe Trent Williams who could be a great RT, Mario Henderson has really impressed over the past couple weeks at LT, Raiders need to fix the right side of the O-line. We will probably have to keep Cable because know else will coach the team but its no big deal he just needs to hire a real OC.

- Sign free agent Chad Pennington
- Draft O-line, most likely Trent Williams
- Draft Tony Pike in the 2nd if he is still on the board.

Stranger
10-26-2009, 11:05 PM
He took over in 2002 and they've been drafting that way (still does) since at least 2003. Can't really tell from the 2002 draft because my memory of it is blurry, and all those picks were busts.

The drafts since then have actually been decent.

The real reason for the Cards turnaround was moving to University of Pheonix Stadium. The added revenue meant the Bidwells were more willing to spend some of their cash.