PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith named 49ers starting QB

MasterShake
10-26-2009, 03:22 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/10/26/singletary-picks-smith-over-hill-as-49ers-qb/

He was impressive when he came in this week. He will have his first start in about a year and it will be against Peyton Manning and the Colts. I actually think this is good timing because everyone expects him to lose this game, but as long as he doesn't stink it up he'll get a mulligan.

Interestingly enough, the first start of Smith's career was against Peyton and the colts. Alex threw 5-6 picks that day....Is he a new man? Stay tuned to find out...

bigbluedefense
10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
For his sake i hope it works out. He's always been a hard worker and a class act.

Let's see if he can salvage his career under Samarai Mike.

CC.SD
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
Auditioning for another team at this point, but still good to see. With a host of quarterbacks coming out in 2010 I would hope the 9ers sake that he doesn't do TOO well.

A Perfect Score
10-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith. He was thrust into a really ****** situation down in San Fran and the kid has not said one word about being benched. And throughout all the talk of bust, the critiques, he has never said a word, he just shows up and does his best. Some players could stand to learn alot from him.

10-26-2009, 03:55 PM
He's a cerebral QB and this type when combined with a boatload of talent usually does work out even if it does take a few years to adjust to the pro game, which is understandable for him. His work ethic and character is top notch as mentioned and he has the weapons to be successful now that Crabtree is there, while both Davis and Morgan have progressed substantially from last season. It's just a matter of time before he settles down as a very good QB in this league. My only concern would be the play of his OL, although I'm guessing they can't be nearly as bad as they were earlier in the year.

CC.SD
10-26-2009, 04:23 PM
I have the utmost respect for Alex Smith. He was thrust into a really ****** situation down in San Fran and the kid has not said one word about being benched. And throughout all the talk of bust, the critiques, he has never said a word, he just shows up and does his best. Some players could stand to learn alot from him.

Yeah like blocking skills.

niel89
10-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Im glad he is getting another shot. I thought he was getting shafted by Nolan and it really blew his entire season. I still remember him leading great great games against the Seahawks and the Broncos in his second year.

RaiderNation
10-26-2009, 04:31 PM
You guys shoud have heard all the 9er fans at my school. "Alex Smith is hella good, with Crabtree we will be playoff bound". Then I saw ya your defense isnt so good though

FUNBUNCHER
10-26-2009, 04:42 PM

Yeah, I like Smith's whole attitude during his time spent in SF. I'd like to think his personal ordeal has made him a mentally tougher QB. He still has the tools to play at a pro bowl level, it's all about whether or not he's figured out the pro game from an analytical standpoint. If he ever learns to apply his intellect to the way the game is played on the field, look out!!!

I hope Smith plays well enough that SF feels comfortable going with him for the next several years. Hard not to root for the guy, even though I'm a big Terp fan and would like to see Shaun Hill keep the gig.

brat316
10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
You guys shoud have heard all the 9er fans at my school. "Alex Smith is hella good, with Crabtree we will be playoff bound". Then I saw ya your defense isnt so good though

do they then bring up the raiders?

tjsunstein
10-26-2009, 05:01 PM
I think he can be successful. He's shown a lot to me last week coming out and almost leading a comeback. Vernon Davis is the real beneficiary here.

M.O.T.H.
10-26-2009, 07:04 PM
I'm feeling it this time around...I still do think he'll be successful.

nepg
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Auditioning for another team at this point, but still good to see. With a host of quarterbacks coming out in 2010 I would hope the 9ers sake that he doesn't do TOO well.

Not really. He's got over half the seaon + playoffs to show what he can do. This isn't like San Diego where they had Drew Brees playing great, but had already drafted Rivers... This is as if San Diego put off drafting a QB for one more year... Brees could have been throwing to Larry Fitzgerald (Crabtree). Think about that **** for a second...

Paul
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I agree with the consensus. Wish nothing the best for Alex. I want to see what he can do with Singeltary behind him.

Iamcanadian
10-26-2009, 09:13 PM
While Smith's career was sketchy due to a lot of injuries and bad coaching, I still want to see a lot more before I jump back on his bandwagon. The potential was always there now let's see if he can put it together for a long stretch.

ElectricEye
10-26-2009, 10:11 PM
I LOVED him coming out. He just seemed to have "it" in college, combined with the physical tools and intelligence I thought he would be absolutely money. There were signs of life when Norv Turner was there in 2006. Even interception to touchdown ratio, decent completion percentage, problem was the ****** team. Looked really good at spots though. I don't think his career is dead and this could be his time. I certainly hope it is. The entire sentiment about him being a class act is right. Never complained throughout the entire thing, never asked for more than he's earned. He deserves to have it work out for him this time around.

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2009, 10:24 PM
Never was a fan, and thought it was a bad pick, but I hope it works out for San Fran, because I really like the organization, one of my favorite teams growing up, and I really like a lot of the players on the team now.

If they can have their QB in Smith, and still have that high draft pick from Carolina, they can load up really quickly.

Brent
10-26-2009, 10:31 PM
You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.

Shiver
10-26-2009, 10:34 PM
He can't be worse than Shaun Hill. He had a decent year with Antonio Bryant, then he and Nolan butted heads, now he has a lot of weapons. I don't expect great, but I think he can play.

vikes_28
10-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I wish Tavaris Jackson could be as awesome as Alex Smith.

49ersfan_87
10-26-2009, 11:13 PM
You guys are far more optimistic than we Niner fans.

He went up against a defense that has a weak secondary, a 21-point spot, and gameplanned against a totally different QB.

Playing devil's advocate, you could also say he didn't practice with the ones since August, hadn't played meaningful football in almost 2 years, and put life into a team that was bottom 5 in almost all major passing categories. Also, in the past it didn't really matter if Smith faced a good or bad defense, he always struggled save for a select few games.

I'm leaning towards the game against Houston probably being a fluke, but i just want Smith to become the QB we drafted him to be. It would be nice to have the position solidified.

BlindSite
10-26-2009, 11:54 PM
I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.

Borat
10-27-2009, 12:02 AM
It all depends on if he's improved his footwork. That was the biggest flaw in his game. It made him very inaccurate. If he's got his footwork up to an NFL level, then I think he can be successful. If not, then he'll be the old Alex.

Brent
10-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I hope he does well, leaves SF and comes to Carolina, I've always had a man boner for Smith and I hope he does well.
he's signed through 2010-2011, so I dont see that happening.

jmess15
10-27-2009, 06:32 AM
In the old days it would take 4-5 years to develop a QB. But with economics now and fans impatience people want results now. Hopefully for Smith he finally comes around and becomes a player, and maybe by default takes Vernon Davis along with him.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Wow. A lot of love for Smith going on here.

Ness
10-27-2009, 11:27 AM
Smith at this point simply gives us the best chance to win. He can't do any worse than Shaun Hill at this point, and that is the good news.

Brent
10-27-2009, 11:48 AM
Smith at this point simply gives us the best chance to win. He can't do any worse than Shaun Hill at this point, and that is the good news.
how is that good news? hooray, we have two mediocre-to-bad QBs. CHAMPIONSHIP.

Nalej
10-27-2009, 11:52 AM
I LOVED him coming out. He just seemed to have "it" in college, combined with the physical tools and intelligence I thought he would be absolutely money.

My thoughts exactly. I hope the game vs the Colts turns into a shootout

CC.SD
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Not really. He's got over half the seaon + playoffs to show what he can do. This isn't like San Diego where they had Drew Brees playing great, but had already drafted Rivers... This is as if San Diego put off drafting a QB for one more year... Brees could have been throwing to Larry Fitzgerald (Crabtree). Think about that **** for a second...

Eh you can play the hypothetical game all over the draft. Unless Smith turns in a pro bowl caliber season from here on out, I think that he won't be the 9ers long term answer.

wordofi
10-27-2009, 12:39 PM
It would be nice to see Smith succeed because he's never complained about the situation he's been in and has handled himself very well.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Say the 49ers finish 8-8 or 9-7, which is likely a worst-case scenario, and Smith finishes with 14 total TDs to 7 interceptions and ~200 yards. Do the 49ers draft a QB in the first round?

Brent
10-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Say the 49ers finish 8-8 or 9-7, which is likely a worst-case scenario, and Smith finishes with 14 total TDs to 7 interceptions and ~200 yards. Do the 49ers draft a QB in the first round?
No, remember he's still Scot McCloughan's boy.

Borat
10-27-2009, 03:05 PM

I don't think so. I think they'll try Nate Davis out before committing to another top pick QB.

jag
10-27-2009, 03:07 PM

14 TDs in half a season is pretty solid. If those are his numbers at years end I say they stick with him.

vikes_28
10-27-2009, 03:21 PM
I think you 9ers fans who are doubting this decision are being a bit pessimistic. I really think Alex Smith gives you the best shot right now. Singletary has done a great job thus far. Let him do his job.

locseti
10-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Smith has the best skillset to move the offense behind that porous offensive line. He can move around and has a much better arm. It's the right move.

Bengalsrocket
10-27-2009, 04:31 PM

I think what he meant was that the 49ers can't possibly turn up any worse than if they had Shaun Hill. Therefore, by simply not being Shaun Hill, Alex Smith gives them a better chance to win.

And it was sort of tongue-in-cheek to say that all of that is "good news".

49ers1984
10-27-2009, 04:35 PM
I think what he meant was that the 49ers can't possibly turn up any worse than if they had Shaun Hill. Therefore, by simply not being Shaun Hill, Alex Smith gives them a better chance to win.

And it was sort of tongue-in-cheek to say that all of that is "good news".

It does not matter who is qb right now they are both produce the same. I can't wait for the draft to get a good qb.

wicket
10-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Just a thought. what if he does pretty well. I believe he is in the last year of his contract. What team would go after him. My bet would probably be carolina or minnesota. Would it be wise for him to wait untill after draft day so that the teams missing out on a qb (with plenty teams needing one) could end up trying to outbid eachother?

abaddon41_80
10-27-2009, 04:49 PM
He has this year + next year left on his contract.

Ness
10-27-2009, 05:29 PM

Because we now have a better chance to win. Did you not just read the post you just quoted?

Winning = good.

Malaka
10-27-2009, 06:16 PM
I love how every 49er fan was talking so well about Hill before the season, and were saying he is our QB in mocks, that hasn't worked out so well.

I like Alex Smith I really hope he does well he is truly a class act, becoming the QB he was supposed to be maybe a little far fetched.. but who knows maybe he can become a pretty decent starter in the NFL for the rest of his career.

abaddon41_80
10-27-2009, 07:47 PM
I still like Hill, he got us to 3-3 (should be 4-2), but the Falcons and Texans just completely exposed his weaknesses.