PDA

View Full Version : Freeman is Bucs starting QB

Splat
10-28-2009, 01:25 PM
It's official: Freeman is Bucs' starter (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/28/its-official-freeman-is-bucs-starter/)

"Bucs coach Raheem Morris has announced that Freeman is his starting quarterback (http://www.pewterreport.com/articles/view/6186)."

Good luck.

killxswitch
10-28-2009, 01:33 PM
I guess it can't get any worse. I hope he's ready enough that this doesn't damage his development.

Falcon<3
10-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Congrats on the first pick in the draft...sucks, I was hoping Tampa would win some games and not get the choice of the first player in the draft, but they just sealed their fates. I hope the kid can stay healthy. Congrats Sam Bradford being the #1 pick? Oh wait, no Gruden is gone...

But seriously, good luck to him, I don't think he'll make it in the NFL, then again, I didn't think Ryan would really make it in the pro game either. So I've been wrong before.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Isn't that the same coach that said he was a career backup?

Falcon<3
10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

Where'd you hear that? Why would he have traded up in the first round to get him if he felt that way? Or was this something he said when he was coaching him at KState?

killxswitch
10-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Is "Radio Raheem" frowned upon on these boards?

Splat
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
Has there ever been a year with this many bad teams? Its really kinda sad.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-28-2009, 01:38 PM
So who are they going to turn to in 4 games when Freeman is challenging Russell for worst QB in the league?

MidwayMonster31
10-28-2009, 01:39 PM
They were getting nowhere with McCown or Josh Johnson so this had to be done. Good luck Josh.
Edit: Leftwich instead of McCown.

brat316
10-28-2009, 01:42 PM
you mean Leftwitch, and Josh Johnson. Its not a qb problem, its a team/head coach problem. The offensive game plan poop, no offensive coordinator, playing in a defensive formation taht does not favor the players you have.

Go_Eagles77
10-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I believe he said that about Josh Johnson.

Gay Ork Wang
10-28-2009, 01:50 PM
he did, it was josh johnson.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Well it's the right time. This team is going nowhere so you might as well get reps for your potential franchise QB. The sooner you learn about if you have a franchise QB the better, the Skins are a great example of the negatives of waiting so long to see a guy develop. The fact is that Josh Johnson probably is a career backup. He shows great mobility and can make some nice throws but he just isn't complete enough to be a consistent passer.

tjsunstein
10-28-2009, 02:05 PM
What better time than now? Your season is lost. I like how SeanTaylorRIP worded it above me.

Brent
10-28-2009, 02:07 PM
Hey, remember the collective boner for Josh Johnson on this forum?

bigbuc
10-28-2009, 03:07 PM
So who are they going to turn to in 4 games when Freeman is challenging Russell for worst QB in the league?

How can you say that? Russell won't even take responsibly for anything he does!! Was trying to say those ints against the Jets were not on him. That guy sucks. Will go down as the biggest draft bust of all time, bigger than Leaf! Freeman works hard... Shows up.. Not late!!! Might not end up being a Manning but will not challenge Russell for the worst QB!!!

tjsunstein
10-28-2009, 03:11 PM

So flacid right now. Reminds me of the Antoinio Cromartie one.

CC.SD
10-28-2009, 03:16 PM
So flacid right now. Reminds me of the Antoinio Cromartie one.

Way to double tap that stake to the heart

dabears10
10-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I just picked him up in fantasy. Insane you may say, "DaBears10 you must have a horrible team to have to pick up a rookie quarterback on a horrible team". We have a rookie spot and therefore it is not the dumbest pick-up ever.

colts_fan8818
10-28-2009, 03:31 PM
From what I've seen of the Bucs this year, I don't think it matters who they have at QB, although I thought that Johnson wasn't doing all that bad of a job all things considered.

BlindSite
10-28-2009, 03:59 PM
This smells like a desperation move from the coaching staff.

General Zod
10-28-2009, 04:02 PM

I never understood that.

Babylon
10-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Bottom line you take QBs in the first round and they are going to play basically right away. Unless they're backing up all stars, In which case you probably wouldnt have taken them that high in the first place.

EvilNixon
10-28-2009, 04:59 PM
Good luck Josh.

GB12
10-28-2009, 05:02 PM
What better way to make your first start than getting picked off by Charles Woodson

Caddy
10-28-2009, 05:07 PM
I guess it can't get any worse. I hope he's ready enough that this doesn't damage his development.

It's going to get a BILLION times better with Freeman starting.

Can anyone say 9 and 7??

neko4
10-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Hes played like 5 games in his whole career on a **** team. Dont blame him. They should keep Johnson in and see how he develops.

Babylon
10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
It's going to get a BILLION times better with Freeman starting.

Can anyone say 9 and 7??

OK Richard Seymour.

katnip
10-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Kid has alot of potential too me. Just prolly be 2 more years on that team called the Bucs.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
They were getting nowhere with McCown or Josh Johnson so this had to be done. Good luck Josh.
Edit: Leftwich instead of McCown.

Yea right, says who? Because those few games you've seen of him told you their going nowhere with him, yet going somewhere with Freeman?

I don't even know why they put in Josh Johnson if they were going to take him out this soon after, nor do I understand why they kept him so long if he wasn't going to get a legit chance.

bigbuc
11-09-2009, 06:23 PM

What do you have to say now? Freeman's first game ever was better than any game Russell has ever had in the NFL.

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 06:40 PM
What do you have to say now? Freeman's first game ever was better than any game Russell has ever had in the NFL.

This is not the best qualifying statement.

Bucs_Rule
11-09-2009, 06:46 PM
Yea right, says who? Because those few games you've seen of him told you their going nowhere with him, yet going somewhere with Freeman?

I don't even know why they put in Josh Johnson if they were going to take him out this soon after, nor do I understand why they kept him so long if he wasn't going to get a legit chance.

They didn't think Freeman was ready. Johnson was used to buy time. They likely wanted Leftwich to start until that point, but he stunk so bad they felt they had bench him.

Freeman is the QB of the future for the Bucs. He is not getting benched. If it comes to the point where he's obviously a bust, Morris will get canned.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2009, 07:16 PM

Based on what barometer? Freeman's 86.1 passer rating has been topped by Russell in 7 separate games. Granted, none of those games took place this season.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Freemanzzz is teh sex bcuz hez 1-0!!!!

Go_Eagles77
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
So was this guy.

http://tidedruid.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/ryanleaf.jpg

SchizophrenicBatman
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM

i will eat crow

while that game was not exactly a sterling endeavor by mr. freeman, it was still way better than i expected out of him this year and a very solid effort for his first start

Watchman
11-09-2009, 10:53 PM
As a Buc fan I was encourage by what I saw - better than I expected.

vikes_28
11-09-2009, 11:49 PM

Someone a little sore from their loss? I knew Freeman would end up starting by the middle of the season. I don't care what the critics said about him. I think he is going to turn into a star in the NFL before we know it. Quote me if you think otherwise.

CC.SD
11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
So was this guy.

He actually got to 2-0 and looked good doing it.

Brent
11-10-2009, 12:14 AM
He actually got to 2-0 and looked good doing it.
DON'T TALK TO ME ALRIGHT! KNOCK IT OFF!

Iamcanadian
11-10-2009, 06:39 AM
The Bucs did it the right way, waiting till mid season to start a rookie QB who was considered raw. It gave him a chance to watch and learn. Now I still expect him to have some down games, that's what rookies usually do but I think all can see the potential he has and why he went in round 1.

tjsunstein
11-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Someone a little sore from their loss? I knew Freeman would end up starting by the middle of the season. I don't care what the critics said about him. I think he is going to turn into a star in the NFL before we know it. Quote me if you think otherwise.

I'll be sore for a couple weeks. But I had to say it before anyone else could.

DJC
11-10-2009, 08:03 AM
I know it's only one game and other 'busts' have played OK early too, but I'm not worried that Freeman will be like any of them.

The difference between Freeman and guys like Leaf/Russell is his attitude towards the game. Leaf and Russell have had well documented character issues and motivational questions. Freeman's demeanor seems much better than these guys. Word from people inside the organization is that he's the biggest gym rat on the team, and I'm guessing this spills over into the film room too.

So I dont know, I guess he could still be a bust. Considering all of his natural talent and his dedication to get better though, I'm liking the chances of this kid turning out to be our QB for the next decade. It could just be the creamsicle-tinted glasses though.

etk
11-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Freeman has an inflated sense of self, but at the same time he wants to be the best so he works hard to succeed.

BTW we're 1 game closer to 9-7.

soybean
11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
[sigh of relief] the world is now back to normal...

Beans
11-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Freeman actually had a damn good game. The problem is our receivers suck copious amounts of dick, save Stroughter and Winslow.

Josh Freeman is really looking like our QBOTF :)

Brent
11-15-2009, 04:53 PM
lookin' good, Freeman, lookin' good.

FUNBUNCHER
11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Call me crazy, but Freeman looks as good as either Stafford or Sanchez IMO.

Physically he's a beast. I think TB may have gotten a steal when they picked him.

Me Likey Rookies
11-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Freeman has played better than anyone could have imagined. He has started off slow but has been great in the 2nd half of both games. But now, with two games on tape, the real test for Freeman begins.

bigbuc
11-16-2009, 02:35 PM
Dolphins DE Jason Taylor about Bucs QB Josh Freeman: "That kid is going to be good....I've got a lot of respect for that young kid." On Schefter Twitter.

etk
11-17-2009, 05:28 PM
It's not quite time to jump on the bandwagon, but us Bucs fans have good reason to be optimistic and excited about our QBotF. Freeman looks like he could be special - if he continues to develop.

We need to hire a good DC and have a good draft. Next year will be interesting.

CC.SD
11-17-2009, 05:47 PM
It's not quite time to jump on the bandwagon, but us Bucs fans have good reason to be optimistic and excited about our QBotF. Freeman looks like he could be special - if he continues to develop.

We need to hire a good DC and have a good draft. Next year will be interesting.

Suh in the first, Golden Tate in the second. You heard it here first.

LonghornsLegend
11-17-2009, 08:20 PM
This reminds me of the Draft discussion about him last year and how people basically laughed at you if you said he would resemble anything halfway decent as an NFL QB. People were all over him and bashed him to no end about how huge a failure he would be, I'm sure there were some in the other corner also but it was a small group compared to the latter.

Cigaro
11-17-2009, 08:27 PM
I still believe it so...Freeman will end up a bust.

Plus, even if I didn't, my ego is too big to concede this early.

Caddy
11-17-2009, 08:32 PM
This reminds me of the Draft discussion about him last year and how people basically laughed at you if you said he would resemble anything halfway decent as an NFL QB. People were all over him and bashed him to no end about how huge a failure he would be, I'm sure there were some in the other corner also but it was a small group compared to the latter.

I was one of those in the small group. But WHAT a group it could turn out to be!

Saints-Tigers
11-23-2009, 04:08 PM
Dude had a spectacular play and throw to get his TD against the Saints. After that, it was ugly, he missed a lot of really easy throws with poor accuracy.

Flyboy
11-23-2009, 07:14 PM

I wasn't a fan of him at all as a prospect, but even after his game yesterday I'm warming up to him. I'll gladly eat crow on him.

Shane P. Hallam
11-23-2009, 07:17 PM
Toonster had Freeman has his favorite QB of the draft last year. Damn you toonster and your intelligence...

Flyboy
11-23-2009, 07:18 PM
toonster = teh beast.

bigbluedefense
11-23-2009, 07:25 PM
I honestly was a Freeman basher, and I'm still not sold yet.

Just wait until teams get some film on him. Thats the true test.

Rosebud
11-23-2009, 07:38 PM

The biggest complaint with Freeman was that he still had a lot of work to do, and frankly he still does. He can certainly become a top QB, but if his progress hits a snag he very well could still end up a complete bust.

etk
11-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Suh in the first, Golden Tate in the second. You heard it here first.

I like McCoy over Suh by a large margin. Golden Tate would make me really happy though.

It's not a big deal. Some players just adapt from the college to the pro game. If you watch Freeman play this year (compared to KState), he's much more advanced physically and mentally. Stats aside, the guy is on the right track and shaping himself well. The same thing happened to Matt Ryan from college to the pros.

Toonster had Freeman has his favorite QB of the draft last year. Damn you toonster and your intelligence...

lolwut?

diabsoule
11-24-2009, 01:40 AM
I honestly was a Freeman basher, and I'm still not sold yet.

Just wait until teams get some film on him. Thats the true test.

Much as the Saints did and exposed him?

My favorite QB going into this past draft was Stafford and he has done nothing to prove me wrong. He just needs a better OL, unlike Freeman, who has an above average one.

Cigaro
12-13-2009, 03:13 PM

Whew, my and basically everyone else on the forums' predictions looking good ATM. Eight INTs in past two games.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
That's okay, he's a rookie. Rookies throw picks. Peyton Manning threw 28 of them.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-13-2009, 03:51 PM
His line looks awful today. Not just the three picks but 33 attempts for 93 yards?

I actually thought he looked somewhat passable last week against the Panthers...until he started throwing picks anytime he got into the red zone. Today looks like it was a disaster

B-Dawk
12-13-2009, 08:46 PM
I like McCoy over Suh by a large margin.

has this been amended?

BigBanger
12-14-2009, 03:26 AM
He looks like he needs to be benched.

wordofi
12-14-2009, 07:21 AM
That's okay, he's a rookie. Rookies throw picks. Peyton Manning threw 28 of them.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I believe he'll be a very good quarterback but we'll have to wait 3 years to see how he progresses.

Cigaro
12-15-2009, 05:18 PM

True, but he also threw 26 touchdowns. To get mathematical, that's a 1:1.07 ratio. Josh Freeman is sporting a 1:1.86 TD/INT ratio. Not too similar.

BuddyCHRIST
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM
He looks decent to me when I watch him with the ability to get better, itll all be about how hard he works and how TB builds their team.

Bucs_Rule
12-15-2009, 07:00 PM
Freeman has just locked into a receiver way too much. He really has to learn to read defenses first.

LonghornsLegend
12-15-2009, 08:49 PM
He looks like he needs to be benched.

Lol yea that makes alot of sense. People are too quick to judge a rookie QB, off their good and bad play. Who didn't expect terrible games from him? I didn't even think he was ready to play this year honestly let alone look as good as he did in some starts.

He's got the tools to be a good QB, and once you go with your franchise QB you don't bench him again. They almost always have terrible games, it's part of the growing pains. He'll be fine I think, but no reason for people to start calling him a bust all over or talking about benching him for poor performances.

FloridaSkinzFan
12-15-2009, 09:32 PM
One of my best friends is a bucs fan. He hates Josh Freeman.