PDA

View Full Version : Most dominating Lineman you've seen?

katnip
10-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Offense and defense. Even though their just O-Line. I find it being a pleasure to have seen possibly several HOF caliber O-Line & D-Line.

Offense - Willie Roaf, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, Jonathan Ogden, Larry Allen, & long time Jet Kevin Mawae (maybe).

For defense I can't name many. But I remember watching both Strahan and Reggie White help dominate the Pats. And the U's Warren Sapp.

CC.SD
10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
I remember focusing in on Pace and being just blown away. What he is now does not even belong in the same ballpark, he may have been the best ever.

P-L
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Orlando Pace from 1997-2005.

yourfavestoner
10-28-2009, 09:52 PM
Tony Boselli is the best offensive lineman I have ever watched. We'd be talking about him as the GOAT if a Jacksonville doctor wouldn't have butchered his shoulders.

Babylon
10-28-2009, 10:21 PM
On a day when Walter Jones basically hung em up i'd go:

O-line
Walter Jones
John Hannah
Gene Upshaw
Jim Parker
Jonathon Ogden
Steve Hutchinson

jimmylishis
10-28-2009, 10:40 PM
personally i haven't been alive long enough to see many but Steve hutchinson for O-line for sure

For D-line id have to say jared allen.

TACKLE
10-28-2009, 10:50 PM
Larry Allen

Everybody else.

Nobody was on that guy's level. He was so good and so dominant it was unfair. Probably the strongest player to ever play the game and his strength translated on the field. Also, back in his glory days with the Cowboys he was also a great athlete. I've never seen a more dominant lineman.

I'd put Boselli, Jones, Pace and Ogden in some order after him. Munoz also deserves I mention but honestly, I never got to see him play.

vidae
10-28-2009, 10:55 PM
I got to see Roaf play a lot and I've never seen anyone better. Guy was flat out dominant.

DoughBoy
10-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Bruce Matthews, guy played every position on the O-line at a HOF level. I'm not trying to be a homer he is just one of the few greats I got to see play in his prime.

MasterShake
10-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Larry Allen.

I think some players in the league may still be suffering from Allenitis to this day....

Saints-Tigers
10-28-2009, 11:04 PM
I got to see Roaf play a lot and I've never seen anyone better. Guy was flat out dominant.

What's scary is that he was even better before we gifted him to you guys.

:(

TACKLE
10-28-2009, 11:12 PM
I know I've posted this video before but its one of my favorite plays ever. I can watch it over and over and still be blown away everytime. Larry Allen was a monster. I highly recommend you check it out.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=7A35BA3F-97D3-1DAA-AFE23FF0CB14EDD1

7-11
10-28-2009, 11:22 PM
I started following football when Orlando Pace was in his prime in the greatest show on turf days. My friend who originally got me into football told me to watch this Orlando Pace guy, made me appreciate a part of the game I hadn't really taken notice of till then.

RaiderNation
10-28-2009, 11:23 PM
Kwame Harris

7-11
10-28-2009, 11:24 PM
Kwame Harris

If we're going there i'd like to nominate John St. Clair.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I remember being shown some game tape of Jonathan Ogden back when he was at UCLA five years back or so. He was just on another level versus everyone he faced.

A Perfect Score
10-28-2009, 11:50 PM
I remember being shown some game tape of Jonathan Ogden back when he was at UCLA five years back or so. He was just on another level versus everyone he faced.

Orlando Pace was the same at Ohio State. I remember seeing some college tape of his, and I was astounded at how much better he was then everyone else.

vidae
10-28-2009, 11:58 PM
I know I've posted this video before but its one of my favorite plays ever. I can watch it over and over and still be blown away everytime. Larry Allen was a monster. I highly recommend you check it out.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/multimedia/multimedia_center.cfm?id=7A35BA3F-97D3-1DAA-AFE23FF0CB14EDD1

That is RIDICULOUS. I've never seen that before. That's amazing haha.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-29-2009, 12:00 AM

Good god. That's goddamn amazing.

Matthew Jones
10-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Probably Orlando Pace at tackle, Larry Allen at guard. Ogden was a little more of an athlete than Pace, but I think Pace was just nasty and dominated people.

On the defensive line...maybe Reggie White. Lately, Jason Taylor, Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney are some scary end rushers from the 2000s. Albert Haynesworth last year was just a freak as well.

TitleTown088
10-29-2009, 12:23 AM
personally i haven't been alive long enough to see many but Steve hutchinson for O-line for sure

How's that purple drank?

A Perfect Score
10-29-2009, 12:24 AM
How's that purple drank?

Sugar, water, and of course, purple!

7-11
10-29-2009, 12:31 AM
How's that purple drank?

What the **** is juice!?

Not only purple drink, but 8 year old purple drink. Football did in fact start in 2008.

No_
10-29-2009, 12:59 AM
Larry Allen, by quite some margin, although he's not as obvious because he's not a Tackle

SickwithIt1010
10-29-2009, 01:51 AM
i remember watching tape of Robert Gallery in college, and thought he would be the next great tackle in the NFL....

....I was wrong.

For real though, i would go with a healthy Orlando Pace. Watching him play....it was almost unfair for the D linemen.

Watchman
10-29-2009, 02:20 AM
On the D-line it would be guys like:

Reggie White
Bruce Smith
Warren Sapp
Strahan
I vaguely remember Joe Greene playing, but was too young to appreciate it.

MetSox17
10-29-2009, 03:23 AM

O-line
Walter Jones
John Hannah
Gene Upshaw
Jim Parker
Jonathon Ogden
Steve Hutchinson

Anthony Munoz says hi.

fenikz
10-29-2009, 04:00 AM
Pace back in the day good god

and Peria Jerry in the SEC was a monster far better than Dorsey ever was, haven't had a chance to see him in the NFL yet

Job
10-29-2009, 09:11 AM
I had a man-crush on Bruce Smith at DE.

ironman4579
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I realize alot of people probably didn't see Anthony Munoz, but the guy was an animal. That fact he's only been mentioned twice is ridiculous, and the fact babylon didn't include him in his list at all is a disgrace.

Munoz is widely considered one of the greatest offensive linemen in history, and the best by some (and yes, even ahead of Pace, Jones, Ogden, etc).

Selected offensive lineman of the year in 1981, '87 and '88. NFLPA lineman of the year in 1981, '85, '88, and '89. NFL Alumni Association offensive lineman of the year in 1987, '89, '90, '91.

Member of the NFL's 75th Anniversary All Time Team in 1994. In 1999 ranked #17 on the Sporting Newslist of the 100 greatest football players and was the highest ranked offensive lineman.

I am not a Bengals fan, but I had the pleasure of being able to watch Munoz play in my younger days, and I have never seen a better offensive lineman.

Brothgar
10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0805/retirement.2008/images/larry-allen.jpg

/thread

GhostDeini
10-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Jake Long is the best run blocking LT I have seen in a while. His pass protection is under-rated too. Dont let week 1 fool ya'll. His first step off of his stance is sick. I would not take any current OT over him. Clady & Thomas are just pass blockers though excelllent but bring nothing as run blockers. Jake is the best overall.

JFLO
10-29-2009, 11:13 AM
I think the best offensive lineman I've ever seen (since I actually started to focus on the games, other than the ball) would have to be either Larry Allen or Jonathan Ogden.

Most likely Larry Allen though, he is probably the strongest lineman I have ever seen.

Splat
10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2a6si86.jpg

draftguru151
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Pace, Larry Allen and Roaf. Kevin Mawae too but he's not quite on the level of those other three.

Splat
10-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Honorable mention.

Will Shields when talking OG and he also has the best name ever for an OL men.

BcLion
10-29-2009, 12:35 PM
I would go with Allen for Oline.

I can't believe noone has mentioned George "False Start" Foster for what he has done for every defense he has faced. The guy was responsable for at least 100 yards lost per game. If he wasn't false starting he was holding. Hell on a good play from him he gave a straight line to sack the QB. Foster = best for Dline ever.

no bare feet
10-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Munoz, Roaf, Pace, Allen on offense.
Bruce Smith, John Randle, Reggie White, Derrick Thomas, Warren Sapp on defense.

vidae
10-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Honorable mention.

Will Shields when talking OG and he also has the best name ever for an OL men.

I think I forgot how dominant our line was for so long. I can't believe how bad it is now.

Wootylicous
10-29-2009, 01:30 PM
This Chiefs OL back in time when Priest Holmes was beasting.

GB12
10-29-2009, 01:58 PM
I realize alot of people probably didn't see Anthony Munoz, but the guy was an animal. That fact he's only been mentioned twice is ridiculous, and the fact babylon didn't include him in his list at all is a disgrace.
When you consider the fact that the thread is titled "Most dominating Lineman you've seen" it's not that ridiculous.

Splat
10-29-2009, 02:07 PM
This Chiefs OL back in time when Priest Holmes was beasting.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2zqehee.gif

Spit NO
10-29-2009, 02:16 PM

Maybe you should try watching a football game other than the Vikings the past two seasons... :rolleyes:

TitleTown088
10-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Sugar, water, and of course, purple!

Forgot the codeine.

thule
10-29-2009, 04:00 PM
Larry Allen, by quite some margin, although he's not as obvious because he's not a Tackle

He actually started his career at tackle...and moved inside when dallas drafted Flozell.

Iamcanadian
10-29-2009, 11:30 PM

O-line
Walter Jones
John Hannah
Gene Upshaw
Jim Parker
Jonathon Ogden
Steve Hutchinson

This is by far the best list I have seen posted. Of all of them, John Hannah was the best OLman I have ever seen and I have seen them all since the 1950's.

HawkeyeFan
10-29-2009, 11:47 PM
Hands down this man:
http://www.blogcdn.com/nfl.fanhouse.com/media/2008/12/kwameharrisbenched.jpg
http://www.pewterreport.com/img/articleImages/2008_02_29_80_Harrisblco2small.jpg

Kwame Harris

I always loved his youtube highlight. Showed his true talent, power and dominatedsion.

Brodeur
10-30-2009, 01:02 AM
So hard to choose between Stocker McDougle, Aaron Gibson, and Jeff Backus.

Saints-Tigers
10-30-2009, 01:17 AM
Most players respect Munoz as the greatest of all time, and some have said he might be the best player in NFL history.

TitanHope
10-30-2009, 01:19 AM
That I've seen when I was able to appreciate and gauge what I was seeing, it would be Orlando Pace.

Although, if you ask any Titans/Oilers fan what his perfect starting OL would look like, it'd go something like:

LT: Bruce Matthews
LG: Bruce Matthews
C: Bruce Matthews
RG: Bruce Matthews
RT: Bruce Matthews

Brent
10-30-2009, 01:27 AM
http://texnews.com/graphics/allen0814.jpg

"HONK HONK MOTHER ******!"

boknows34
10-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Surprised nobody has at least mentioned Randall McDaniel. Allen, Matthews and McDaniel are the best guards I've ever seen. (John Hannah retired just as I was becoming an NFL fan). Matthews was the most versatile for sure being elected to the Pro Bowl at all three positions. I saw Munoz and he is the best OT in NFL history imo. The most dominant center was Dolphins HOFer Dwight Stephenson. Unfortunately his career was cut short with injuries.

Best individual game performance I can remember from an OL was Tony Boselli totally destroying Bruce Smith in a playoff game in 1996. Boselli was definitely in the Pace/Ogden/Roaf class. He was drafted in 1995 but still made the 1990s All Decade Team and was a 3-time 1st team All Pro in 1997, 98 and 99. He would have been a 1st ballot lock had he enjoyed a healthy and long career.

boknows34
10-30-2009, 03:41 AM
Stephenson was a 1st team All-Pro five consecutive years at center before his career finished after just 8 seasons at the age of 30.

Ravens1991
10-30-2009, 10:54 AM
didnt Larry Allen grab a kicker by the shoulder pads because he shanked a XP or a short K. or am I thinking of someone else?

T-RICH49
10-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Will Shields should be mentioned as well.heck the Chiefs line from the Vermiel Era should be listed

terribletowel39
10-30-2009, 11:27 AM

This is one of the more impressive things I have ever seen. And the craziest part about it is that Larry Allen doesn't even realize the ball is intercepted right away. And he still hawks him down.

Paul
10-30-2009, 11:28 AM
didnt Larry Allen grab a kicker by the shoulder pads because he shanked a XP or a short K. or am I thinking of someone else?

Yes he did. But it wasn't becuase he missed the the XP, its because Jose Cortez, the kicker, started blaming and screaming at the longsnapper for a bad snap, and Larry Allen to had to start regulating. We cut Cortez the next day IIRC.

SenorGato
10-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Will Shields should be mentioned as well.heck the Chiefs line from the Vermiel Era should be listed

IMO one of the 5 best offensive lines of all time.

Awesome, awesome line...

For me it's Pace and Roaf.

themaninblack
10-30-2009, 12:00 PM
Though I wasn't really old enough to see him when he was playing, I have seen plenty of vids of Mr. Munoz and he is without a doubt the most dominant LT I've ever seen. He was so well rounded and athletic its unbelievable.

E-Man
10-30-2009, 12:15 PM
My all time favorite player is Larry Allen, and that's because he was so damn dominant. He was the closest thing I've seen to a perfect player, barely edging out Ray Lewis IMO. There was nothing that he was weak at. Everybody knows him for his tremendous strength, but his footwork, hip movement, and speed were off the charts as well. He also managed to dominate at three different positions as well, and he shut down every player he went up against. I remember seeing him own Sapp and Strahan like they played college ball. Larry was more than just a beast. He was a football god.

Of course there was also some other great O-lineman I've seen as well. Pace, Ogden, Will Shields, Mawae, Nate Newton, Erik Williams, Walter Jones, Bruce Matthews, etc.

As far as D-line goes, I gotta say that Reggie White was....well he was pretty damn great too. Same with Bruce Smith. Strahan was always remarkable to me because he was so complete. A ton of the league's top pass rushers are just good enough to make 14-17 good plays against the passer in the season. They don't show up against the run, nor do they really pressure the passer consistently outside of getting a few sacks every now and then. Strahan was great against the pass, but you couldn't run at him either. He was the prototype DE that many needed and wanted. Outside of Reggie White and Bruce Smith though, Simeon Rice might be the best pass rusher I have watched. He was not just speedy, but he had some real good instincts on getting to the QB.

For the DTs I"m going with John Randle, Sapp, Leon Lett(dumb but really damn good), La'Roi Glover, Ted Washington, and Bryant Young.

MetSox17
10-30-2009, 12:24 PM
Yes he did. But it wasn't becuase he missed the the XP, its because Jose Cortez, the kicker, started blaming and screaming at the longsnapper for a bad snap, and Larry Allen to had to start regulating. We cut Cortez the next day IIRC.

I thought that happened with the 9ers?

Babylon
10-30-2009, 01:10 PM
just to throw in a few other names (sad it took to page 2 for anyone to even mention munoz, while john hannah was getting mentions on page 1)...

gary zimmerman.
mike webster (best c ever?).
mike munchak (bruce was better, but worth a mention).

Backhanded complement there towards John Hannah? Still the best guard i've ever seen.

Paul
10-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I thought that happened with the 9ers?

I'm pretty sure it was with us, we were playing the niners at the time though. I can't find a pic or video anywhere right now.

Edit#2: got it

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/images/admin/cortezhit.jpg

MetSox17
10-30-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure it was with us, we were playing the niners at the time though. I can't find a pic or video anywhere right now.

Edit#2: got it

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/images/admin/cortezhit.jpg

Lol Cortez got pwned. But yeah, i knew there was a reason why i thought it was with the 9ers.