PDA

View Full Version : Going to college in the USA

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Hi all...

I have the hope of going over around this time next year to the USA and am hoping to attend college, haven't really decided on what I wish to study but Law and Medicine are the two at the top of the list.

Basically I am looking for any information that anyone can give about how one goes about applying from overseas, what tests and the like I would need to undertake for grading purposes and so forth.

Basic information on me is that I have a Bachelor of Commerce(basically business) already from over here in Australia. I will 25 next year. I have US Citizenship so that is not an issue. Preferably I would like to play football for whatever school I go to(practice squad is cool with me). Not sure if any of this impacts anything, just figure the more you guys know the more you can help.

Feel free to ask any questions, point me to links on info that seems relevant and thanks in advance...

MetSox17
10-30-2009, 01:23 AM
How important is playing football to you?

Hawk
10-30-2009, 01:58 AM
University of Tennesee, then you can party with me and buy me booze since you're ancient.

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 02:00 AM
How important is playing football to you?

I'd like to give it a go but just having the opportunity to walk on and have a tryout would be enough or even to be involved with a football team. Basically I want a college with a football team that it is possible to be involved with.

Main thing is finding out how I go about applying and what is involved in getting to that step also the choices in regards to size of college and what the main differences are. Finding this information for international students hasn't been easy so I figured that some of you guys might be able to help out.

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 02:01 AM
University of Tennesee, then you can party with me and buy me booze since you're ancient.

Oh come on... I'm not that old... at least not at heart.

Certainly down with the partying and boozing idea though.

Hawk
10-30-2009, 02:03 AM
Oh come on... I'm not that old... at least not at heart.

Certainly down with the partying and boozing idea though.

Works for me, I'm sure Kiffin has a spot for you.

MetSox17
10-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Are you looking to get into a top notch law school?

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 02:27 AM
Are you looking to get into a top notch law school?

At the moment I'm leaning more towards the medicine track with law as the fall back but I would like to go the best school possible obviously, I'm just not sure how an Australian HS or University degree and its grades would position me in this regard so was hoping to find out.

Caddy
10-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I'm heading to the US next year on a six-month exchange!

If you call the USA consulate in Australia they have a special department which is free for students. It basically outlines all your options and will tell you exactly what you need to do in order to go overseas (ie tests etc).

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 03:07 AM
Thanks Caddy, that sounds really helpful, will have to give them a call :)

Caddy
10-30-2009, 03:30 AM
Thanks Caddy, that sounds really helpful, will have to give them a call :)

Yeah I went there a few weeks ago and they seemed really helpful about all of it. They want you to go to America so they try and give you as much information as possible.

fischbowl
10-30-2009, 07:30 AM
Wherever you end up, find me and bring me some Toohey's New

LizardState
10-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Welcome to the US of A, wogitalia. Even if you're already a citizen.

If you've already received a degree I don't think the NCAA allows you to play FB. There are exemptions of course......

2 words here: Stanford University. A grad degree from there is golden in the Golden State. And ~66% of its students are from countries other than the US, & 39% of Santa Clara Co., CA was born outside the country.

Splat
10-30-2009, 10:23 AM
They want you to go to America so they try and give you as much information as possible.

Maybe they just wanted you to leave? :)

Paranoidmoonduck
10-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Are you looking to get a Masters or are you trying to get another Bachelors degree?

Staubach12
10-30-2009, 06:32 PM

I second this motion. Me and Hawk run UT.

tjsunstein
10-30-2009, 06:44 PM
Go to Stanford.

CC.SD
10-30-2009, 06:48 PM
If you like things like the best business network, weather, and girls, you should go to SC. Because it is the best.

wogitalia
10-30-2009, 11:45 PM
Welcome to the US of A, wogitalia. Even if you're already a citizen.

I'm not there yet :) Just my grand plan.

If you've already received a degree I don't think the NCAA allows you to play FB. There are exemptions of course......

This had crossed my mind at one point, hoping that because it wasn't in the USA that it wont count towards eligibility, that is the kind of thing to worry about once I get there, even if it does count, I did a 3 year degree so may still have a year.

2 words here: Stanford University. A grad degree from there is golden in the Golden State. And ~66% of its students are from countries other than the US, & 39% of Santa Clara Co., CA was born outside the country.

I actually visited Stanford when I was over in 2001, real nice campus and the place was just sweet, given that I have family in CA Stanford is one of several that I would really like to go to, has pretty steep entry requirements though iirc.

Wherever you end up, find me and bring me some Toohey's New

Of all our beers you want me to bring you that crap? Really? Thats one of the cheap and nastys.

Are you looking to get a Masters or are you trying to get another Bachelors degree?

Right now I'm looking at doing some kind of premed with the intention of going on with that. Not 100% certain on how the system works regarding that, want to do some stuff in languages as well, pretty open outside that.

If you like things like the best business network, weather, and girls, you should go to SC. Because it is the best.

SC is another that I would love to go to and again it's a matter of being able to get in.

Cheers for all the help, the positive is I still have basically a year to sort it all out :) cause it just isn't that easy.

Brent
10-30-2009, 11:53 PM
just remember: wrap it before you tap it.

vikes_28
11-03-2009, 12:51 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An Australian Vikings fan in the states. Help me kick Caddy's ass when you get here.:mad:

Caddy
11-03-2009, 03:47 AM
Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An Australian Vikings fan in the states. Help me kick Caddy's ass when you get here.:mad:

Vikes we've been through this already... (BTW Aussies stick together!)

BlindSite
11-03-2009, 04:48 AM
I'm going over next year on holidays for three weeks, LA, Ari and Vegas probably.

vikes_28
11-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Vikes we've been through this already... (BTW Aussies stick together!)

Vikings fans stick together first!

wogitalia
11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Vikings fans stick together first!

This is a really tough situation :) I think Vikings fans trumps Aussies when it comes to Packers or Bears, otherwise I think the Aussie comrade would win.

yourfavestoner
11-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Move to San Diego, trust me. It is the best city in America, you won't regret it.

SuperKevin
11-04-2009, 01:59 PM
Move to San Diego, trust me. It is the best city in America, you won't regret it.

It is one hell of a city. Just make sure you stay west of the 15. East County is a hell hole

yourfavestoner
11-04-2009, 02:07 PM
It is one hell of a city. Just make sure you stay west of the 15. East County is a hell hole

Tell me about it, I used to live in La Mesa, right across the street from Helix High (Alex Smith and Reggie Bush's HS). Not the greatest area, that's for sure.

SuperKevin
11-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Tell me about it, I used to live in La Mesa, right across the street from Helix High (Alex Smith and Reggie Bush's HS). Not the greatest area, that's for sure.

My wife is from El Cajon. Her sister still lives there and it's like little Baghdad over there. I've never seen so many Caldean people in my life.