PDA

View Full Version : Breakout player predictions

49ersfan_87
10-30-2009, 01:36 PM
How are the players you predicted to breakout in the offseason doing? Living up to your expectations, or disappointing?

I picked WR Josh Morgan. He had 20 receptions, 319 yards and 3 TD's in 12 games last year. This season, he has 17 receptions, 264 yards, and 1 TD in 6 games.

So far, my prediction of him breaking out isn't coming true. He is not having a bad season but he's not really having a good season either. Shaun Hill was just not playing well this season and our offense does not feature the WR heavily as well. However, he still makes some mental mistakes and recently lost his starting job to Michael Crabtree (i thought it should they should have benched Isaac Bruce from a pure production standpoint, but i digress). So far, he looks to be having a solid season, but he isn't living up to the prediction of being a breakout player.

The player i should have picked- Vernon Davis. Leads the NFL in TD receptions with 6. Along with being a great blocker he's not a complete, game-breaking TE, at least for this year.

Nalej
10-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I predicted Brandon Meriweather and I believe he is.
V. Davis obviously is.
S. Crable isn't. He's on the IR for the 2nd straight season. Unfortunately.

bigbluedefense
10-30-2009, 04:50 PM
Brandon Merriweather - yuppers

Kenny Phillips - he was beasting before going on IR, so i don't know if that counts

Cedric Benson - affirmative

Donnie Avery - ....not so much

Terrell Thomas - yup

Victor Abriamiri - nope

Anthony Spencer - nope

Mario Manningham - sort of

Ahmad Bradshaw - yup

Derrick Harvey/Quentin Groves - nope

vidae
10-30-2009, 05:19 PM
For the Chiefs, I thought the defense was going to be a much better unit, and I was dead wrong.

I thought Bowe would have his breakout year with Cassel throwing to him but we can't run the ball and we have no offensive line so he isn't quite where I thought he'd be.

BamaFalcon59
10-30-2009, 06:11 PM
Brandon Flowers, though. You will be fine KC.

vidae
10-30-2009, 06:13 PM
Brandon Flowers, though. You will be fine KC.

Hells yeah. Kid is a stud.

Ravens1991
10-30-2009, 06:14 PM
Ray Rice. Hell yes it came true.

A Perfect Score
10-30-2009, 06:20 PM
Once again, Demetrius Williams disappoints me.

Ravens1991
10-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Once again, Demetrius Williams disappoints me.

Baltimore needs to realize this guy just blows. He may be the most overhyped player in NFL history. I was on his bandwagon a couple of years ago to

tjsunstein
10-30-2009, 06:34 PM
Desmond Bishop - Kind of.

Jermichael Finley - Yes.

RaiderNation
10-30-2009, 07:37 PM
JaMarcus Russell is playing great right now

Gay Ork Wang
10-30-2009, 07:50 PM
Desmond Bishop - Kind of.

Jermichael Finley - Yes.
what has finley done so far besides a long TD vs the vikings

bigbluedefense
10-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Oh, how could I forget my man crush, Lawrence Timmons?

Yeah, I guess you can say he's breaking out. Although he's not doing as well as I thought he would.

LeBeau for some reason has called off the dogs this year compared to years past. I think thats part of the reason.

StripedWalrus
10-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Been saying Cedric Benson would break out this season and it has been coming true. Also said Chris Henry would light it up. He hasnt been doing so. Odom was another player I thought would do great. He did amazing until his injury. So he was a half and half.

Players away from the Bengals though...didnt make many predictions other than thinking Forte would have a lousy year as well as Matt Schaub having a great year.

Splat
10-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I was some what wrong about Bowe but I think that has more to do with players around him then Bowe.

Shiver
10-30-2009, 11:44 PM
I thought two backs would have great break-out years: Ray Rice and Darren McFadden. Well, I guess 50% aint bad.

Brent
10-30-2009, 11:50 PM
Josh Morgan? Not so much. Vernon Davis? Yes.

killxswitch
10-31-2009, 12:20 AM
I thought Tony Ugoh and Joseph Addai would heal up in the offseason and play great. Ugoh isn't even dressing for games now. Addai is better but still not where he was in '06 and early '07. The Colts OL doesn't help.

I thought Chad Johnson would be back and was right. Cha ching.

I thought Rex Ryan would turn Vernon Gholston into a beast. He is backing up Calvin Pace right now, so obviously I missed on that one.

I thought Jamarcus Russel would continue to grow based on his late-season performances last year. Wrong.

General Zod
10-31-2009, 12:21 AM
I thought Tony Ugoh and Joseph Addai would heal up in the offseason and play great. Ugoh isn't even dressing for games now. Addai is better but still not where he was in '06 and early '07. The Colts OL doesn't help.

I thought Rex Ryan would turn Vernon Gholston into a beast. He is backing up Calvin Pace right now, so obviously I missed on that one.

I thought Jamarcus Russel would continue to grow based on his late-season performances last year. Wrong.

Tony Ugoh is the biggest damn mystery, what the hell happened to him from last year?

Monomach
10-31-2009, 12:26 AM
I picked the Neckbeard. So far, so good.

I also picked Greg Olsen. So far, not so good...but that happens when you're a TE and you get covered by corners.

killxswitch
10-31-2009, 12:37 AM
Tony Ugoh is the biggest damn mystery, what the hell happened to him from last year?

He has a ton of talent but is apparently a complete headcase. He actually did a good job as a rookie considering he had to step in for Tarik Glenn who retired suddenly. The plan was for him to play guard and come in slowly learning from one of the best in the game at the time.

He will be doing a great job, then suddenly totally lose focus and allow Manning to get hit several plays in a row. It doesn't seem to matter if it's Jared Allen or the 3rd string DE on the Lions. There were questions about his desire to even play football coming out of college. I think he just lacks the right mindset to play LT. He has no mean streak at all and doesn't know how to use his strength consistently.

When he got benched he was interviewed and seemed totally clueless as to what he needed to do to win his job back or why he was being benched. He said he didn't know what the coaches wanted from him and that he was just going to keep doing what he'd been doing.

tjsunstein
10-31-2009, 01:42 AM
what has finley done so far besides a long TD vs the vikings

Proved he's capable of making plays when he has the ball shown by his 15 yards a catch average. If not for his injury this week, he would have played a big role Sunday. When he's back to 100%, expect to see more of him.

bearfan
10-31-2009, 02:01 AM
Ray Rice and Cedric Benson were the two guys I had picked out for fantasy football going into the season as my sleeper RBs, and had Bradshaw as my very late round sleeper. Kevin Smith while being solid, has not produced at the same level he did at the end of last season...which is what I expected. Jon Stewart from Carolina was another RB that I thought was going to pick up from where he left off last year, and that has not been the case.

QB wise, I have always liked Orton, but I never would have imagined him doing this well. He is in the right place for him to shine. Palmer I had as my comeback QB, and he has been gradually getting better after a slow start. Who has surprised me prior to this week was Eli, I have never given him much respect as a Qb and while I havent watched any Giants games this year I have kept track of stats and he seemingly has played well.

princefielder28
10-31-2009, 09:57 AM
Cedric Benson was my guy

If the end of last season is any indication, I believe Cedric Benson will be this year’s breakthrough player of the year. He was labeled a bust and deservingly so by the Bears and fans around the league, but towards the end of last season the Bengals gave him a shot and he ran it with it. The Bengals return this season with a healthy Carson Palmer so defenses will once again have to respect the ability for this offense to stretch the field. This should open up more opportunities for Benson to face just a base, seven man box instead of the stacked boxes that the Bengals saw with Fitzpatrick and gang at quarterback. The addition of Andre Smith should help immediately as well. An overall, more balanced offense should allow the Bengals to be more competitive, and I think they can pull off a seven win season. They’re probably two years off before they’ll be playoff competitive again because their defense is still taking form and they’ll need a receiver to emerge opposite of Chad Johnson, but the Bengals appear headed in the right direction and Cedric Benson having the ball in his hands will actually be a good thing. Bank on 1200 yards and 10 scores from Benson this season.

Bengals78
10-31-2009, 10:02 AM

What team does this Chad Johnson play for? I am only familiar with Esteban OchoCinco. lol.

I thought Benson would be a work horse for the team and he has been that and exceeding expectations.

LonghornsLegend
10-31-2009, 03:49 PM
Josh Morgan - Not really, but he is a 6th round pick making steady progress and it's only year 2, year 3 could be the big year for him.

Greg Olsen - As did alot of people, but I named him the past 2 years, he just needs the stats because he can play.

Jermichael Finley - Check. Was leading the bandwagon and hype train since the combines when he came out, very easy to tell he would be a beast in the passing game.

Miles Austin - Check. Had been trying to put his name out there more, but even I didn't expect him to produce these numbers in a 2 game span.

Sidney Rice - I have been a huge fan of his since he came out, he was incredibly young out of the draft but had all the tools, he just never had a QB, then last year could never get healthy. Anyone still have any idea why Minny wanted Housh so bad? Rice is a stud now that he's healthy and has a QB, and he looks like the #1 WR most thought he could be. I'm very happy for him knowing he worked hard and he's finally showing what he can do.

I think those were my primary candidates, maybe forgetting a few, but they were leading the way.

Nalej
10-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Miles Austin - Check. Had been trying to put his name out there more, but even I didn't expect him to produce these numbers in a 2 game span.
\

Yea. I wanted the Pats to sign/trade for him. He looked like a beast in limited time last year

killxswitch
11-01-2009, 08:03 AM
What team does this Chad Johnson play for? I am only familiar with Esteban OchoCinco. lol.

I thought Benson would be a work horse for the team and he has been that and exceeding expectations.

I can't bring myself to seriously call him Ochocinco.

Vox Populi
11-01-2009, 10:30 AM
I dont usually make many predictions, but Sidney Rice would be mine for the past... since he was drafted. I loved him coming out. Really glad hes doing well. He can jump like no other and is great at finding the ball while its in the air and getting to the ball well before the DB with his great reach and leaping ability. Him, Berrian and Harvin should be a great threesome, especially as Rice keeps building on his success and Harvin develops even further. Vikes just need to find a QB that can run the offense when Favre is gone.

JT Jag
11-01-2009, 10:43 AM
For the Jags, I picked Troy Williamson and Mike Walker.

Williamson went on IR week one. Walker has done better then I could have ever hoped.

Flyboy
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
I picked Robert Meachem in the preseason. *thumbs up*

stephenson86
11-23-2009, 10:29 PM
chris johnson

Sniper
11-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I've been on Vernon Davis' nuts since he came into the league. Hell yes!

Dwayne Jarrett, on the other hand, not s'much.

The Dynasty
11-23-2009, 10:50 PM
Sidney Rice deserves to be highly considered.

50 Receptions 875 yards and 4 TDS.

Especially after playing two seasons with injuries and only 46 receptions and 537 yards.

wogitalia
11-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Hits

Sidney Rice - Said all he needed was to stay healthy, but he is doing even better than I expected.

Kyle Orton - Sort of fading a bit, but looked pretty good for 6 weeks, but he did the same last year and then an ankle injury ruined him. Is clinging to this side of the list.

Jamal Charles - Is getting better each week, thought he would have won the starting job sooner than he did, but believed he would be starting by now for sure. So far so good.

Cedric Benson - Thought he was solid last year, thought with the addition of Smith and Palmer healthy he would be even better. He has been, though I'm not sure you can attribute much of that to Palmer, or any to Smith.

Rey Maualuga and James Laurinaitis - I felt like both were criminally over-analysed going into the draft and that both would contribute immediately. I think teams could do very well in the draft just sticking to the seniors who everyone thought could/should come out as Juniors as they pretty much all get over-analysed.

Alex Mack - Thought he was a stud, has so far been a stud.

Mario Manningham - Probably hasn't done as much as I expected but has still be very good.

Steve Smith - Has exceeded what I expected, I figured that he and Manningham would be the main guys on the Giants.

Miles Austin - The hype train has slowed, but I have been on him for a couple of years, always looked graceful and mad fast to me, figured Owens leaving would give him a shot. Did not expect record setting performances though, just a good solid YAC guy who was a genuine deep threat.

Ray Edwards - Hasn't been as good as I expected, but is a physical specimen who doesn't even know what double teams are and wont anytime soon, has been getting better by the game though.

Missed

Brady Quinn - Though yesterday's performance may show some hope. I don't actually think he has been that bad given his surroundings, but I thought he was going to make the team better.

Michael Clayton - Thought he had spent the best part of his career in Gruden's doghouse and his first couple of games looked good, has gone back to the disappointment we all know though.

Nate Washington - Thought he looked really solid for Pittsburgh and was going to be a nice weapon. Really hasn't done much though for the Titans, though has been solid in the red zone.

Kevin Smith - Ouch, still not sure why, I think I just figured they might force the ball to him a bit more to protect Stafford. His line is killing him though.

Matt Leinart - Got it wrong between him and Young, I figured one of Collins or Warner would go back to being the Collins and Warners that we had seen outside of last year for the last half decade. Thought Leinart would get his chance and shine. May yet I guess.

Earl Bennett - Was Expecting massive things from him. Has been a big let down. Honestly thought that 1000 yards was a reasonable expectation for him. Doesn't help that Cutler can't hit the side of a barn this year.

Darren McFadden - I figured someone had to get the ball on a team with a QB I didn't/don't rate and no WR. Of course he is well on his way to being the Vince Carter or Tracy McGrady of the NFL, of course without the production those guys put up in early years before their hearts gave out. Yep... I'm calling him soft as butter who can't play through pain.

CC.SD
11-23-2009, 11:50 PM
It is pretty awesome to see Malcom Floyd and Legedu Naanee making plays every week now. For years and years, especially with Floyd, there have been flashes of serious playmaking and now they are doing so consistently, it's fun.

BleedBurgundy96
11-24-2009, 02:11 AM
Hits
Brian Orakpo/DE-OLB/Redskins - Thought the rook would cause alot of pressure and get about 8 sacks. He already has 7.

Sidney Rice/WR/Vikings - Expected big things from him with Favre on board.

Vernon Davis/TE/49ers - Finally thought this was his year with Hill at QB. Ended up breaking out more with Alex Smith. Still taking credit for it though lol.

Ray Rice/RB/Ravens - Had a feeling he was about to take over in Baltimore.

Michael Oher/OT/Ravens - Most people had him rated as the 4th best OT in the draft. I had him rated tied for 1st with Jason Smith.

Rashard Mendenhall/RB/Steelers - Never have liked Willie Parker. With Mendenhall healthy it was just a matter of time.

Mike Wallace/WR/Steelers - Rookie from Ole Miss I thought would come out and make some plays from the slot.

Mike Sims-Walker/WR/Jags - Liked him in the preseason. He has turned out to be a pretty good WR.

Jammal Charles/RB/Chiefs - Larry Johnson was done. Charles has alot of talent.

Up in the Air
Hakeem Nicks/WR/Giants - Thought he would have a bigger impact right out of the gate. Injury in week 1 hurt him.

Robert Meachem/WR/Saints - Has the TDs but I thought he would have more catches.

Chris Wells/RB/Cardinals - Thought Wells would win the job no later than week 4. Has played solid but I thought he would be OROY.

Justin Forsett/RB/Seahawks - Wasnt high on Julius Jones. I like Forsetts pass catching ability.

JerMichael Finley/TE/Packers - Has been solid but I thought he would be a playmaker.

Misses
Jason Campbell/QB/Redskins - Hasnt stepped in up in a contract year. Has been up and down weekly. OLine is partly to blame.

Martellus Bennett/TE/Cowboys - Cowboys just arent using him like I thought they would.

Earl Bennett/WR/Bears - Old Vandy connection hasnt been what I thought it would be.

Chris Long/DE/Rams - After a 4 sack rookie season I was expecting a breakout 10 sack 2nd season. Has 3 so far.

Shaun Hill/QB/49ers - Thought he would really improve and maybe lead the Niners to the playoffs. Has been benched for Alex Smith.

Josh Morgan/WR/49ers - Hasnt been the playmaker I thought he would be.

Flyboy
11-24-2009, 12:40 PM
Up in the Air
Robert Meachem/WR/Saints - Has the TDs but I thought he would have more catches.

The only reason he doesn't have more catches is due to the nature of our offense. We have so many playmakers that not one person on our team will ever have gaudy numbers.

Gay Ork Wang
11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
actually Earl bennett is doing great. 40 recs for 511 yards is not that bad. but no TDs hurts. nothing world moving but better than youd expect from someone who hasnt had a catch in his career. He has great hands it is very tough

BleedBurgundy96
11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
The only reason he doesn't have more catches is due to the nature of our offense. We have so many playmakers that not one person on our team will ever have gaudy numbers.

Agreed. You are correct. The reason I put him where I did was b/c I expected even more. I do agree though its not his fault why he hasnt its the nature of the Saints offense. They have so many playmakers.

actually Earl bennett is doing great. 40 recs for 511 yards is not that bad. but no TDs hurts. nothing world moving but better than youd expect from someone who hasnt had a catch in his career. He has great hands it is very tough

He has been pretty good. I just thought he would of had more TDs at this point. Thats why i put him where I did. Im not knocking Earl Bennett. Im knocking what I projected him to have.

Gay Ork Wang
11-24-2009, 02:07 PM
Agreed. You are correct. The reason I put him where I did was b/c I expected even more. I do agree though its not his fault why he hasnt its the nature of the Saints offense. They have so many playmakers.

He has been pretty good. I just thought he would of had more TDs at this point. Thats why i put him where I did. Im not knocking Earl Bennett. Im knocking what I projected him to have.
yea then again i would have thought the whole bear offense would have had more points at this point

LonghornsLegend
11-24-2009, 07:12 PM

Is he finnaly out of Payton's "doghouse"? Never understood why they didn't want to play him more. I mean, why the hell did you draft him when you didn't even need a WR if you didn't want to give him the reps? I'm glad he's had to earn them the right way and all, but he should have been the #2 WR opposite Colston a long time ago and he's always been much more then just a deep threat WR to me.

tjsunstein
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
[B]Misses
JerMichael Finley/TE/Packers - Has been solid but I thought he would be a playmaker.

He's broken out. If you watch any Packer game, you notice how the offense is different when he's on the field opposed to when he's not. He isn't having a pro bowl season by any means but he's shown flashes of what he can do, consistently. If that makes any sense. Aside from his injury, he has come into his own. Ask any Packer fan.

BleedBurgundy96
11-24-2009, 08:33 PM
He's broken out. If you watch any Packer game, you notice how the offense is different when he's on the field opposed to when he's not. He isn't having a pro bowl season by any means but he's shown flashes of what he can do, consistently. If that makes any sense. Aside from his injury, he has come into his own. Ask any Packer fan.

He has. Like I stated before I based my groupings on my projections. He has broken out but not to the level that I thought.

tjsunstein
11-24-2009, 08:35 PM
He has. Like I stated before I based my groupings on my projections. He has broken out but not to the level that I thought.

Now that he's healthy, he should be more involved. Don't count him as a miss, yet. Put him as still up in the air if thats the case.

BleedBurgundy96
11-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Now that he's healthy, he should be more involved. Don't count him as a miss, yet. Put him as still up in the air if thats the case.

Those groupings will change as the season goes on. In hindsight he should of been in the still up in the air group. You are right.

JT Jag
11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
I thought this year was make-or-break time for Mike Sims-Walker, and it looks like he chose the "make".

I've been predicting Marcedes Lewis to break out and establish himself as a top-10 TE in the NFL for two years, and he might finally be on the right track. He seems to snag a huge, difficult drive-sustaining 25-yard pass down the seam every game.

Flyboy
11-25-2009, 01:18 AM
Is he finnaly out of Payton's "doghouse"? Never understood why they didn't want to play him more. I mean, why the hell did you draft him when you didn't even need a WR if you didn't want to give him the reps? I'm glad he's had to earn them the right way and all, but he should have been the #2 WR opposite Colston a long time ago and he's always been much more then just a deep threat WR to me.

He was in Payton's doghouse for good reason. In his rookie season, he came in a tad overweight and then was injured so much that he never got on the field. His sophomore season, he was a bit more involved and made some plays but his lack of knowledge of the playbook really hindered him and I remember at times he costing the team to take timeouts because of he didn't know his assignment therefore still wasn't living up to his potential. His second offseason training and work ethic has really showed this season. He's just been beasting whenever he touches the ball. It's really unfair to try to see another team's nickelback try to cover him... or especially LBs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vogQSR8-QAk

Flyboy
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh, Robert Meachem - how I continue to want to kiss you.

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM
I picked Robert Meachem in the preseason. *thumbs up*
Me too. I knew Meachem would break out this season.

Also, look for Vikes WR Aundrae Allison. He has future.

yourfavestoner
12-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Mike ******* Sims-Walker

umphrey
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM

How's he going to see the field? Sydney Rice and Percy Harvin both look like pro bowlers this year, and I don't think that is all Favre. That makes him the #3 receiver on the most run-heavy offense in the league.

dabears10
12-07-2009, 02:07 PM
How's he going to see the field? Sydney Rice and Percy Harvin both look like pro bowlers this year, and I don't think that is all Favre. That makes him the #3 receiver on the most run-heavy offense in the league.

You also forget about Bernard Berrian. Who is pretty good in his own right.

wogitalia
12-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Meachem is carrying my sorry ass FF team right now. Given that I can't seem to find a RB who can play 2 games in a row.

Hurricanes25
12-07-2009, 07:35 PM

Allison is on the Jets and he is currently on IR.

yo123
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
You also forget about Bernard Berrian. Who is pretty good in his own right.

This is not true.