Rank your Top 5 QBs:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Tom Brady
4. Ben Roethlisberger
5. Aaron Rodgers

Thumper
10-30-2009, 02:10 PM
I think Phillip Rivers is #5, not Rodgers.

Also I would've argued McNabb prior to this season but McNabb isn't performing very well this year.

terribletowel39
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Rivers and Rodgers are both really close for me. Rodgers does some pretty righteous things with the crap line he has in front of him. I think I put Rodgers ahead of Rivers but only slightly.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2009, 02:15 PM
Are you Aaron Rodgers' cousin??

Philip Rivers, Carson Palmer, and Curt Warner wanna have a 'talk' with Rodgers in parking lot.

Top 4 is fine, that 5th slot is NOT Rodgers.

Spit NO
10-30-2009, 02:21 PM
Seems like my Aaron Rodgers pick is drawing some criticism. I think he's clearly a top-tier QB in the NFL now.

I can see an argument for Rivers but I think these stats are telling for Rodgers:

http://i36.tinypic.com/aahno1.jpg

Bengalsrocket
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
carson palmer can talk to someone about top five when he plays more than one complete game. curt warner can piss off, as he's not, afaik, an actual nfl quarterback.

Yah, as a Bengals fan I might be tempted to put Palmer in top 5 after last game if I was a super homer, but realistically he hasn't played at a top 5 level in 2-3 years now and needs to put together an elite season to get back there.

Anyways, I think we've ranked the top 5 QB's enough this off season that we could wait till next off season to do it :)

soybean
10-30-2009, 02:28 PM
Seems like my Aaron Rodgers pick is drawing some criticism. I think he's clearly a top-tier QB in the NFL now.

I can see an argument for Rivers but I think these stats are telling for Rodgers:

check mate.

GhostDeini
10-30-2009, 02:29 PM
The first guy nailed it imo.

Mr.Regular
10-30-2009, 02:29 PM
1.Manning
2.Brady
3.Brees

After this you could slot in a bunch of guys....A-Rod, Rivers, Roethlisberger etc.
Personally I'd put Rodgers 4th right now but that could be my homerism. The guy is legit though. If he takes this team deep in the playoffs this year all of a sudden everyone will have him ranked 4th.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2009, 02:35 PM
For someone who's started for less than 2 years, it's really difficult to put them in the top 5 when they haven't produced as long as other QBs equally if not more talented.

Curt Warner BTW is/will be a HOFer. For someone to say he's not even an NFL QB sounds kinda personal to me.

Bengalsrocket
10-30-2009, 02:37 PM
For someone who's started for less than 2 years, it's really difficult to put them in the top 5 when they haven't produced as long as other QBs equally if not more talented.

Curt Warner BTW is/will be a HOFer. For someone to say he's not even an NFL QB sounds kinda personal to me.

It's Kurt Warner, not Curt Warner. Curt Warner is not an NFL QB.

vidae
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
1. Drew Brees
2. Peyton Manning
3. Tom Brady
4. Aaron Rodgers
5. Philip Rivers

SeanTaylorRIP
10-30-2009, 02:39 PM
You mean
Kirk Warner?

Shahin
10-30-2009, 02:40 PM

he said that because you (continue) to spell his name wrong.

Curt Warner played running back for the Seahawks.

CC.SD
10-30-2009, 02:42 PM
Rivers was the league leader last year in touchdowns and passer rating with 4000+ yards. 34/11. This year he is on pace to do even better. Rodgers is good but I don't think there's even an argument. He hasn't been around long enough (to do things like win playoff games, or go to them) and the O-line is a weak argument because Rivers' O-line is also completely awful.

Mr.Regular
10-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Rivers was the league leader last year in touchdowns and passer rating with 4000+ yards. 34/11. This year he is on pace to do even better. Rodgers is good but I don't think there's even an argument. He hasn't been around long enough (to do things like win playoff games, or go to them) and the O-line is a weak argument because Rivers' O-line is also completely awful.
Rivers O-line isn't good....but Rodgers' is Redskins line bad...or David Carr career ruining line bad... or sign Kwame Harris because even he'd help out bad.

Okay, not that last one but you get the idea.

CC.SD
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Rivers O-line isn't good....but Rodgers' is Redskins line bad...or David Carr career ruining line bad... or sign Kwame Harris because even he'd help out bad.

Okay, not that last one but you get the idea.

Jesus don't even mention Kwame Harris. I do not think comparing how awful the O-lines are is a good way to compare QBs...it is basically admitting that football is a team game, which is bad for any Top 5 ranking thread.

Mr.Regular
10-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Jesus don't even mention Kwame Harris. I do not think comparing how awful the O-lines are is a good way to compare QBs...it is basically admitting that football is a team game, which is bad for any Top 5 ranking thread.
Agreed. I just had to point out how bad our line has been so far this season.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-30-2009, 02:56 PM
Ok the Packers line is terrible, but to say it's Redskins bad is too much. Friggin I was 400 pounds last year Mike Williams is our best O-lineman. Our center can't even snap a shotgun snap without hitting his own cheeks. Our LT is slow and for a 300 pound man has legs skinnier than Desean Jackson. Our RG was a mediocre center, in college. Levi Jones was just signed out of obscurity last week and stepped in to be our most talented O-lineman.

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 02:58 PM
1. tom brady (ice cold in clutch, inconsistent deep ball, compensates for an average line)
2. peyton (puts up the numbers, very important to team, chokes hard)
3. rivers (dynamic vertical passer, his coach is a born loser, fiery)
4. brees (scary accurate, doesnt win in playoffs, inflated stats)
5. warner (dynamic before the snap, has two terrfic wideouts, plays big when it matter most)

Mr.Regular
10-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Ok the Packers line is terrible, but to say it's Redskins bad is too much. Friggin I was 400 pounds last year Mike Williams is our best O-lineman. Our center can't even snap a shotgun snap without hitting his own cheeks. Our LT is slow and for a 300 pound man has legs skinnier than Desean Jackson. Our RG was a mediocre center, in college. Levi Jones was just signed out of obscurity last week and stepped in to be our most talented O-lineman.
Yes, I exaggerated. The Skins line is depressingly bad. That team's good defense and skill players are getting wasted this year because of that line and JC.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
he said that because you (continue) to spell his name wrong.

Curt Warner played running back for the Seahawks.

Kurt Warner.

Geez. Talk about a bunch of uptight football fans.

Shahin, you really think I was referencing RB who retired from the NFL 19 years ago??

Mistakes, man. Please don't freak.

Shahin
10-30-2009, 03:12 PM
Kurt Warner.

Geez. Talk about a bunch of uptight football fans.

Shahin, you really think I was referencing RB who retired from the NFL 19 years ago??

Mistakes, man. Please don't freak.

Don't take it personally, you just looked like a douche out there. :)

Brent
10-30-2009, 03:14 PM
You mean
Kirk Warner?
I think you mean Kurt Winter?

CC.SD
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I think you mean Kurt Winter?

You're thinking of the baskbetball coach. Tex Winter.

Bengalsrocket
10-30-2009, 03:23 PM
You're thinking of the baskbetball coach. Tex Winter.

Tex Winter was a Bocce Ball Hall of Famer in the Argentina league. The baskbetball coach was Lex "The T-Rex" Muncher.

drowe
10-30-2009, 03:26 PM
I dunno. I don't think Kurt Kittner is a top 5 QB right now. He was decent in college, but he has a long way to go.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Don't take it personally, you just looked like a douche out there. :)

You're clowning on me cause I wrote 'Curt', instead of 'Kurt', pretending as if I confused the Cardinals QB with the retired 'hawks RB, but I'm the one who looks like a douche??

Happy Pumpkin Day!!

Hope you get lots of candy tonight.

drowe
10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
You're clowning on me cause I wrote 'Curt', instead of 'Kurt', pretending as if I confused the Cardinals QB with the retired 'hawks RB, but I'm the one who looks like a douche??

Happy Pumpkin Day!!

hey, you're the one that thinks Curtis Painter is a top 5 QB. calm down.

Prowler
10-30-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.houseofnames.com/xq/asp.fc/qx/douche-family-crest.htm

now available for $18.93

SINCE1978
10-30-2009, 03:42 PM
1) Peyton Manning
2) Tom Brady
3) Ben Roethlisberger
4) Drew Brees
5) Carson Palmer

I go with champions. (I know insert Lion's joke here!)
1-2-3 all have put teams on their backs to win it & Brees may be on track this year to do just that with those Saints. Rodgers, Warner, McNabb, Favre, Rivers would round out my top 10.

Shahin
10-30-2009, 03:54 PM

Happy Pumpkin Day!!

Let it go, friend. And people typically go trick-or-treating on Halloween, the 31st.
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x234/ctbob/douche.jpg

And to keep this semi-relevant:
1. Peyton
2. Brady
3. Brees
4. Big Ben
5. Rodgers

Prowler
10-30-2009, 03:59 PM
As of right now including previous body of work
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Kurt Warner

based on only this season
1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Schaub
5. Kyle Orton/Brett Favre

holt_bruce81
10-30-2009, 04:05 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Phillip Rivers
5. Matt Ryan

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 04:07 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Kurt Warner

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Schaub

there is no way that orton and shuab have outplayed the guy down in foxboro. shaub gets aton of yards after the catch.

10-30-2009, 04:09 PM
there is no way that orton and shuab have outplayed the guy down in foxboro. shaub gets aton of yards after the catch.

So does Brady. That being said, I still agree with you.

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 04:12 PM
So does Brady. That being said, I still agree with you.

not really. matt cassel got an ABSURD amount of yards after the catch. like 56 percent of his yards came after the catch. it was like nuts bro. that arizona game last year he got like 270 yards after the catch.

brady does a ton of things that cant be measured. sets the protection, knows all the favorable matchups, knows refs favorite calls, knows where his receiver will be and when he will get there, and he can make the throws into the tight windows.

Prowler
10-30-2009, 04:12 PM

yeah i like Tom Brady and he's on my fantasy team. his last couple of games have been impressive, but this is the only time orton and schaub will be able to compete in this category so i'm letting them enjoy it. plus i have to discount the game against tennessee. the titans played like heartless 8th graders and i feel i could have done better against brady. tom will be back up there at the end of the year, but not yet.

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
yeah i like Tom Brady and he's on my fantasy team. his last couple of games have been impressive, but this is the only time orton and schaub will be able to compete in this category so i'm letting them enjoy it. plus i have to discount the game against tennessee. the titans played like heartless 8th graders and i feel i could have done better against brady. tom will be back up there at the end of the year, but not yet.

you cant just discount games big man. i mean, the guy was throwing through 15 mph winds down the field. plus, peyton didnt play this good in ideal conditions against this team.

PackerLegend
10-30-2009, 04:19 PM

If only Aaron Rodgers had an offense line.

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
If only Aaron Rodgers had an offense line.

i find it a tad hard to believe that his line is that bad if he is putting up those kinds of numbers.

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
or, this year, miss horribly on easy passes (see: vs. denver, to welker for the win). sorry, he's not a top 5 quarterback right now for the same reasons palmer isn't.

(note: i'm NOT arguing that orton has been better, just that this is a specious argument for brady, based fully on past rather than present production)

i played receiver for 6 years and from my point of view that looked like welker was supposed to sit down at the first down marker. thats how it looks when you have mistakes though. i can easily just name two stick throws in the vertical game. the 2 tds throws to watson were pretty decent.

just curious but which guys are playing at such a high level that trump this guy (and im not a fan of his pretty boy chracter)

1. peyton
2. brees

then who? favre? he has just as many talented players around him as brady. schaub cant be trusted in the 4th quarter. orton cant attack the vertical portion of the field. rodgers? fine. big ben? i cant stand his sandlottting reactionary play and his inability to read defenses pre snap. eli is a mistake player. i like palmers game.

10-30-2009, 04:41 PM
not really. matt cassel got an ABSURD amount of yards after the catch. like 56 percent of his yards came after the catch. it was like nuts bro. that arizona game last year he got like 270 yards after the catch.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2009&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=230

Here it is for you. Brady and Schaub are #2 and #3 in YAC [QBs]. No surprise that the majority of great QBs are at the top of this passing category, so I don't really hold it against them.

TitleTown088
10-30-2009, 05:17 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Phillip Rivers
5. Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan top five? Child please. When will the crush for him stop!?
QBs undoubtedly better than him this season...
Drew Brees
Aaron Rodgers
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
matt shaub
Brett Favre
Kyle Orton
Big Ben
Phillip Rivers

Qb I'd almost certianly put ahead.
Joe Flacco
Romo
E Manning
Carson Palmer

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 05:20 PM
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/leaders.asp?year=2009&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=230

Here it is for you. Brady and Schaub are #2 and #3 in YAC [QBs]. No surprise that the majority of great QBs are at the top of this passing category, so I don't really hold it against them.

hmm, i stand corrected. good work bro.

Spit NO
10-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Orton is outperforming Brady this season? I'll admit I haven't seen all of their games but that definitely does not coincide with what I've seen this season.

http://i34.tinypic.com/oiaw3n.jpg

I mean, is there even an argument that Denver wouldn't be a better team with Brady instead of Orton? I just don't see it.

I would be interested in seeing your Top 5. I don't think Orton belongs on that list even if we're basing it off this year alone.

FUNBUNCHER
10-30-2009, 06:14 PM
I can't see Orton seriously charting on anyone's top 5, really even top 10.

The big change between last year and this year in Denver is the quantum leap they've made on defense. I can't remember too many games where Orton had to carry the Broncos to a victory.
For half of Denver's games Orton has thrown for a whopping 1 TD. Yeah he's efficient, manages the game and doesn't make mistakes, but does that automatically make him a top 5 QB?

When the Broncos are playing at the level they are on defense, McDaniels doesn't need a QB who throws for 5000 yards/40 TDs anyway.

GB12
10-30-2009, 07:10 PM
i find it a tad hard to believe that his line is that bad if he is putting up those kinds of numbers.

Week 1: Adewale Ogunleye - 2 sacks - Week 1 sack leader (t)
Week 2: Antwon Odom - 5 sacks - Week 2 sack leader
Week 3: Leonard Little - 2 sacks - Week 3 sack leader (t)
Week 4: Jared Allen - 4.5 sacks - Week 4 sack leader
Week 5: Bye
Week 6: Julian Peterson - 2.5 sacks - Week 6 sack leader

Yeah, it's that bad.

iowatreat54
10-30-2009, 07:16 PM

You must not watch the Packers play this season.

Their line is awful. I'm pretty sure if the NFL made a special exception to allow Rodgers to just hold the ball and yell, "Hike!" ala school yard rules, that he would have more protection.

TitleTown088
10-30-2009, 07:32 PM

Yeah, it's that bad.
Not vs Cleveland!

Prowler
10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
it all comes down to how many games has orton lost this year? brady's early season performance against the jets can not be ignored. however anybody wants to look at individual games with orton, his team still won and he did what he was asked to do. plus i believe that orton actually outplayed brady head to head. and yes things would have been different had the patriots won the coin toss, but those are the breaks in life. orton's execution of his main objective has been 100% so far. victory, which incidentally only gets him to a tie for 5th on my list.

EvilNixon
10-30-2009, 08:30 PM
Belicheck didn't make the necessary defensive adjustments. Orton was throwing short slants,comebacks and crossing routes all day,and Belicheck refused to let them come up and press. When they actually did do that,the pressure was getting to Orton.

Chief49er
10-30-2009, 08:36 PM
Jamarcus Russell
Jake Delhomme
Michael Vick
Byron Leftwich
Shaun Hill

Dirk360
10-30-2009, 11:25 PM
it all comes down to how many games has orton lost this year? brady's early season performance against the jets can not be ignored. however anybody wants to look at individual games with orton, his team still won and he did what he was asked to do. plus i believe that orton actually outplayed brady head to head. and yes things would have been different had the patriots won the coin toss, but those are the breaks in life. orton's execution of his main objective has been 100% so far. victory, which incidentally only gets him to a tie for 5th on my list.

theres no doubt that orton outplayed brady but that doesnt make him a better qb. i mean, brady got outplayed by sanchez too. otherwise, brady has outplayed flacco and ryan.

tjsunstein
10-31-2009, 01:46 AM

Not sure if this is serious?

Mr. Stiller
10-31-2009, 10:13 AM
You must not watch the Packers play this season.

Their line is awful. I'm pretty sure if the NFL made a special exception to allow Rodgers to just hold the ball and yell, "Hike!" ala school yard rules, that he would have more protection.

Roethlisbergers been dealing with that for 3 years now. since 05 this is the first year his OL is remotely holding up.

Yeah he holds the ball long periods of time and such but I'm tired of hearing OL as an excuse.

Staubach12
10-31-2009, 11:12 AM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Aaron Rogers
5. Phillip Rivers

fenikz
10-31-2009, 11:24 AM
ill take Warner any day over Rodgers or Rivers

Gay Ork Wang
10-31-2009, 11:27 AM
ill take Warner any day over Rodgers or Rivers
good for you

CC.SD
10-31-2009, 11:32 AM

Yeah, it's that bad.

haha anyone can admit that this is hilarious.

Babylon
10-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Jamarcus Russell
Jake Delhomme
Michael Vick
Byron Leftwich
Shaun Hill

Brad Edwards, Daunte Culpepper and Seneca Wallace want in.

Raider_fan_Canada
10-31-2009, 11:51 AM
I dont know, there are so many good ones if you think about it. Im not sure there is a purpose to making a top 3, top 5, top 10, etc. There are a lot of QBs that I would love to build my franchise around and know they are good enough to win a Super Bowl one day. After that said how they are viewed is a reflection of the teams performance around them, the great games that will cement their legacy and other intangible factors.

Shane P. Hallam
10-31-2009, 11:57 AM
1a. Tom Brady (He has the rings, he wins, and looks like he is back to form.)

1b. Peyton Manning (Looks the best of his career, amazingly)

3. Drew Brees (Great find for the Saints, and he fits the system in NO so well)

4. Ben Roethlisberger (Call me a homer if you want, but he is a Top 5 QB, not a Top 5 "passer". He wins, 2nd most rings of a starting QB)

5. Aaron Rodgers (just my opinion, love the way he plays)

umphrey
10-31-2009, 03:21 PM
Those sack numbers against Rodgers are a joke

Most of those players are average

Gay Ork Wang
10-31-2009, 03:38 PM
not most, all of them besides Allen

LonghornsLegend
10-31-2009, 03:41 PM
carson palmer can talk to someone about top five when he plays more than one complete game. curt warner can piss off, as he's not, afaik, an actual nfl quarterback.

I knew when I came into this thread someone was going to be mentioning Carson Palmer as honorable mention, if not into their own top 5, I just didn't expect to see it so soon.

For some reason people have no problems annointing him when he's yet to prove worthy of it, other then being drafted high and having elite physical attributes.

49ers1984
10-31-2009, 03:47 PM
I knew when I came into this thread someone was going to be mentioning Carson Palmer as honorable mention, if not into their own top 5, I just didn't expect to see it so soon.

For some reason people have no problems annointing him when he's yet to prove worthy of it, other then being drafted high and having elite physical attributes.

I agree I never understood these people who call Carson Palmer an elite qb? A few years ago yes not now.

Spit NO
10-31-2009, 04:02 PM
i don't have a problem with that. but brady doesn't belong there, either.

Posting your Top 5 would add validity to your argument because you claim a bunch of guys don't belong but you haven't said who does belong.

Shahin
10-31-2009, 06:51 PM
Those sack numbers against Rodgers are a joke

Most of those players are average

that's just how bad that line is.

TitleTown088
10-31-2009, 06:54 PM
that's just how bad that line is. Dosen't help that the starting LT has been out a good portion of the season. But yea, it's been bad.

Spit NO
11-01-2009, 01:01 AM
i'll happily post my top 5 when i've seen every qb in the league at least once. until then, it seems sort of silly.

So how can you say Brady isn't in the top 5 unless you can name 5 QBs ahead of him?

Bengalsrocket
11-01-2009, 01:12 AM
So how can you say Brady isn't in the top 5 unless you can name 5 QBs ahead of him?

He's saying he knows 5 QB's ahead of Brady, but doesn't know the top 5. They're not necessarily the same. Brady could be 6th, or he could be 7th, 8th, 9th and so on. He's just not sure because he hasn't seen every QB play.

I don't necessarily agree, Brady is an excellent QB and it's extremely hard to argue him out of the top 5. However, I get what he's saying and respect it.

edit: I could be wrong, I'm not trying to be the interpreter for njx9, just telling you what I took away from his post.

Saints-Tigers
11-01-2009, 01:38 PM

I want to reiterate this link, for all the people saying that the Saints' "system" inflates Drew Brees' yards. I'd love to hear exactly how it inflates it, if he is only 14th in yards after the catch.

It's a system that inflates your stats if you can fit the ball into really tight windows down field. :D

neko4
11-01-2009, 02:01 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Kurt Warner

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Schaub

Wait...holdon, are you saying best careers above?
Favre would have to be far ahead of brees.

MetSox17
11-01-2009, 02:24 PM
Tony Romo.

tjsunstein
11-01-2009, 02:27 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Brett Favre
5. Kurt Warner

1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Matt Schaub

Favre, number 4?

Bengalsrocket
11-01-2009, 02:31 PM
Favre, number 4?

It's fitting at least :)

critesy
11-01-2009, 02:42 PM
1. dylan
2. dylan
3. dylan
4. dylan
5. dylan

ThePudge
11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Drew Brees
3. Tom Brady
4. Carson Palmer
5. Ben Roethlisberger

Would be my short list of 5 with Phillip Rivers, Donovan McNabb, Matt Schaub, Brett Favre, and Aaron Rodgers rounding out the Top 10 in no particular order.

FUNBUNCHER
11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
Meh, you can keep Orton. Not impressed.

He's a game-manager on a team that's balling out on D.

Dirk360
11-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Orton padded his numbers when the game was out of reach yesterday. when the game was up for grabs the guy did nothing of significance.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-02-2009, 09:04 AM
Orton padded his numbers when the game was out of reach yesterday. when the game was up for grabs the guy did nothing of significance.

I'd hardly call 152 yards and no TD's on 37 attempts to be padding stats. Still while I agree Orton is a game manager the Broncos game plan yesterday was a flat out joke. Everyone knows the Ravens have horrific deep ball defense and the fact that with Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall you don't take any chances is beyond me. They just kept running Marshall and Royal on underneath routes and any time the Ravens defense is in front of you they are the best in the league at swarming on the ball carrier. Everyone knows when the Ravens have struggled it has been when Favre, Palmer, Brady, go deep so seeing the Broncos continue to allow the Ravens to eat them up on underneath routes was so funny. The Broncos offense looked like the Redskins yesterday, lol.

Prowler
11-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Wait...holdon, are you saying best careers above?
Favre would have to be far ahead of brees.

i meant, ''best quarterbacks playing this season, while showing love to the old timers for what they have done in the past."

Dirk360
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
I'd hardly call 152 yards and no TD's on 37 attempts to be padding stats. Still while I agree Orton is a game manager the Broncos game plan yesterday was a flat out joke. Everyone knows the Ravens have horrific deep ball defense and the fact that with Eddie Royal and Brandon Marshall you don't take any chances is beyond me. They just kept running Marshall and Royal on underneath routes and any time the Ravens defense is in front of you they are the best in the league at swarming on the ball carrier. Everyone knows when the Ravens have struggled it has been when Favre, Palmer, Brady, go deep so seeing the Broncos continue to allow the Ravens to eat them up on underneath routes was so funny. The Broncos offense looked like the Redskins yesterday, lol.

i just dont think orton has the ball placement to go deep like those other guys do bro (brady and palmer specifically).

SeanTaylorRIP
11-02-2009, 09:55 AM
Well when you have 6-4" man beast Brandon Marshall against the weak midgets like Foxworth and Fabian Washington all you need to do is hang it up there and chances are he gets the ball. The fact that they didn't even attempt to go deep was horrible coaching and playcalling. They went deep once they entire game literally and Brandon Marshall ended up gaining 40+ yards on a pass interference call. This should have been a clue to them to take some chances especially when they were down multiple TD's. But continuing to run the ball and set up screens and such was terrible coaching. You don't run screens and go underneath on the Ravens D, you will get eaten alive. The reason the Ravens D hasn't been as good this year is only because of their inability to defend the deep ball.

dabears10
11-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Well when you have 6-4" man beast Brandon Marshall against the weak midgets like Foxworth and Fabian Washington all you need to do is hang it up there and chances are he gets the ball. The fact that they didn't even attempt to go deep was horrible coaching and playcalling. They went deep once they entire game literally and Brandon Marshall ended up gaining 40+ yards on a pass interference call. This should have been a clue to them to take some chances especially when they were down multiple TD's. But continuing to run the ball and set up screens and such was terrible coaching. You don't run screens and go underneath on the Ravens D, you will get eaten alive. The reason the Ravens D hasn't been as good this year is only because of their inability to defend the deep ball.

Kyle Orton cannot get the ball within 10 yards when its past 20-25 yards.

DeathbyStat
11-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Brady
Peyton

Big Ben

Brees

Carson Palmer

sweetness34
11-02-2009, 12:13 PM
this. by far the worst coaching job i've seen yet this season.

It's a bit difficult to stretch the field when the Quarterback is not accurate in that area. Orton is a very efficient QB 1-10 yards, in fact he's very good at distributing it. His deep ball however leaves a lot to be desired.

If teams are able to consistently stop the short passes, Orton will struggle because he's never been capable of getting the ball down field. That said, it's just one game and so far he's meshed very well with the new offense. So this game may have been just a bump in the road.

bored of education
11-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Kirk Cameron is the best qb in the league

Prowler
11-02-2009, 12:27 PM
i think he needs to be left behind

Shiver
11-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I don't think there is a definitive top-5. I have the first four locked in place and they have been the same for the last few years, but the fifth spot could be between Romo, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, Palmer, etc. All have an equal claim at that spot.

tjsunstein
11-02-2009, 12:40 PM
What qualifications should a Top 5 QB have?

Shiver
11-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I think consistent excellence is required. That's what a lot of Quarterbacks do not have, such as the ones I mentioned in my above post. If Tony Romo, Ben Roethlisberger or Eli Manning could play their best the majority of the time they would be there.

sweetness34
11-02-2009, 12:53 PM
irrelevant, and, as we were on at the same time as the bears, i'm assuming you didn't watch the game. the entire plan, afaict, was to repeatedly attempt slight variations of the exact same screen pass, get into a third and long, and then throw another screen pass. there were relatively few routes run at even a 15 yard level. and let's not act like the suggestion was made that orton throw 40 yard bombs all day. but to throw a deep ball literally once all game, in a game where the opposing defense is literally shredding you short? terrible coaching.

That's my point though. I've seen 3 of Denver's games this year and in everyone, he's struggled getting the ball down field. Even in the 15 yard in area.

You are correct, I did not watch yesterday because the Bears game was on. Denver seemed to have success this year spreading the field and allowing Orton to pick and choose who he wanted to throw to. Maybe the game plan was flawed, I have no idea because I didn't watch the game but you do have a limited QB behind center that is not very successful at stretching a defense. Orton's been awesome 1-10 this year, anything past that not so much.

I do agree that they needed to at least attempt to get the ball down field though. If the short stuff isn't working, adjust the playcalling. Did Ron Turner hijack your OC duties yesterday?

MetSox17
11-02-2009, 03:17 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Philip Rivers
4. Drew Brees
5. **** ****

terribletowel39
11-02-2009, 03:24 PM
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Philip Rivers
4. Drew Brees
5. **** ****
^^ Matt Ryan?? Really?? c'mon!!!! :)

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Everyone knows Brady/Manning/Rivers/Brees are top 4 in what ever order you want to put them but Joe Flacco is starting to make a run at being one of the top QB's

MetSox17
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
^^ Matt Ryan?? Really?? c'mon!!!! :)

Muahahaha. You'll never know!!!

Jvig43
11-02-2009, 03:37 PM
Everyone knows Brady/Manning/Rivers/Brees are top 4 in what ever order you want to put them but Joe Flacco is starting to make a run at being one of the top QB's

Uhhh lets not assume that after a season and a half. Is he playing well, sure, much better than last year, many many Qbs are ahead of him as of right now imo. Players that have played this well consistently for longer than a season and a half, where the first season wasnt all that jaw dropping.

MetSox17
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM

I agree. Flacco is in that discussion with Ryan and Roethlisberger (from a pure QB perspecive), Romo, Eli, Schaub, Palmer, and McNabb.

Bengalsrocket
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Uhhh lets not assume that after a season and a half. Is he playing well, sure, much better than last year, many many Qbs are ahead of him as of right now imo. Players that have played this well consistently for longer than a season and a half, where the first season wasnt all that jaw dropping.

Agreed. Flacco is young, he's already good and he has tons of potential. However, he's no where near the top yet. I would definitely put Flacco in the top 15, maybe top 10 (haven't really thought it through) but definitely not top 5.

Jvig43
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
I could put Flacco in my top 15 most likely, def not my top ten. Im not trying to knock the guy but in terms of the thread, a top 5 Qb, he has a long way to go.

CC.SD
11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
A new challenger has appeared!

The definitive list:

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Drew Brees
4. Philip Rivers
5. Ben Roethlisberger
6. Jamarcus Russell

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM

Well I wasn't saying he is a top 5 I am saying he is starting to make a case for himself. Last year we were so conservative with him and he has been great for us this year. He could be a top 5 QB in the next couple of years assuming we are going to complete this transition from a run first team to a passing team.

Jvig43
11-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Well I wasn't saying he is a top 5 I am saying he is starting to make a case for himself. Last year we were so conservative with him and he has been great for us this year. He could be a top 5 QB in the next couple of years assuming we are going to complete this transition from a run first team to a passing team.

Agreed, he has great potential, and if he continues this type of play and leads the Ravens O like hes been doing than I def see him getting on that list.

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 05:32 PM
i'll happily post my top 5 when i've seen every qb in the league at least once. until then, it seems sort of silly.

Just post 5 QBs better than Brady. That's all you need to do to prove your point.

Of course I highly doubt anybody will agree with the ridiculous assertion that Brady isn't a Top 5 QB.

abaddon41_80
11-02-2009, 05:37 PM
This year? I could easily make that argument.

Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Favre
McNabb
Ryan
Orton
Rivers
Schaub
Roethlisberger
Flacco
Romo

The first 4 have definitely been better than Brady this season, and I would argue that 2 of the rest (McNabb, Roethlisberger) have been as well. But my list is

1. Manning
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Rodgers
5. Favre

Dirk360
11-02-2009, 05:48 PM
This year? I could easily make that argument.

Manning
Brees
Rodgers
Favre
McNabb
Orton
Rivers
Schaub
Roethlisberger
Flacco
Romo

The first 4 have definitely been better than Brady this season, and I would argue that 2 of the rest (McNabb, Roethlisberger) have been as well. But my list is

1. Manning
2. Brees
3. Brady
4. Rodgers
5. Favre

uh no, mcnabb played an awful game on monday night football last week and his team won in spite of his horrendous play. gosh, he was bad. dont look at the numbers, mcnabb doesnt throw with accuracy and anticipation at a consistent level. he also struggles at times pre snap.

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 05:50 PM
uh no, mcnabb played an awful game on monday night football last week and his team won in spite of his horrendous play. gosh, he was bad. dont look at the numbers, mcnabb doesnt throw with accuracy and anticipation at a consistent level. he also struggles at times pre snap.

Look at his numbers if you want as well. He's thrown for HALF the yards Brady has. Yet he's somehow better than Brady? That argument is just not possible to make.

How is Orton even in this conversation? It's the same story as when he was with the Bears. He can keep you in a game by hitting short passes and not turning the ball over. He's Trent Dilfer. I can't fathom how people are trying to argue he's been better than Brady.

abaddon41_80
11-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Look at his numbers if you want as well. He's thrown for HALF the yards Brady has. Yet he's somehow better than Brady? That argument is just not possible to make.

Maybe he has half of the yards because he has half of the attempts? He has more yards per attempt, a higher TD %, and a much lower interception %.

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
earlier, i posted several qbs who had an argument. but then, you're probably arguing at a career level and i'm arguing this year. that or you didn't actually see brady play before the last two games.

No, I'm saying this year. Where did you post 5 guys over Brady? I looked and couldn't find it, but perhaps you could point me to the exact post.

so is schaub the best qb in the league?

No, but arguing that a QB who has HALF the yards of another QB after 8 games or whatever is better is simply ridiculous. You actually think McNabb has outperformed Brady this year? Do you have some deep-seated hate for Brady and the Patriots or something?

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 06:01 PM
does anyone else think that in terms of a pure passer Brees is better than Brady?

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 06:03 PM
does anyone else think that in terms of a pure passer Brees is better than Brady?

I think he has a better arm, yes. He fits the ball into some really tight spots. If playing QB was just dropping back and ripping a pass he would be a better player, no doubt in my mind.

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 06:05 PM
I think he has a better arm, yes. He fits the ball into some really tight spots. If playing QB was just dropping back and ripping a pass he would be a better player, no doubt in my mind.

that's how I feel. i don't know, in my limited sample of watching brees, I'm enamored with his arm. His strength, his outstanding accuracy and he's not completely immobile either. There's just something about Brady though...
But if we were doing that silly "build a QB" I'd take Brees' right arm/shoulder over Brady's all day.

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
right now? easily.

see, again maybe it's Brady's rust, Brees pooping on virtually everyone (had a few off games thus far) and me seeing Brees rip the Giants a new one and Brady struggle against the Jets, but there's just something about Brees. I wish I could watch him more. Is it just his system? i don't know. It's hard to judge QB's without seeing them play that often. In my mind, to just throw it out there, I think Peyton is easily the best QB in the league ahead of Brady. And these are 2 guys I watch often

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
see, again maybe it's Brady's rust, Brees pooping on virtually everyone (had a few off games thus far) and me seeing Brees rip the Giants a new one and Brady struggle against the Jets, but there's just something about Brees. I wish I could watch him more. Is it just his system? i don't know. It's hard to judge QB's without seeing them play that often. In my mind, to just throw it out there, I think Peyton is easily the best QB in the league ahead of Brady. And these are 2 guys I watch often

Brady is a lot like Peyton in that he controls every aspect of the game and is a coach on the field. Leadership, intangibles, reads, knowing tendencies, doing the small things, etc. are all areas that I think have separated Brady and Manning for years now and it's continued this season. Brees is ultra accurate with the ball but he doesn't command a game like Manning or Brady.

njx9 is backpedaling after he tried to argue Orton for Top 5. LOL.

Gay Ork Wang
11-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Brady is a lot like Peyton in that he controls every aspect of the game and is a coach on the field. Leadership, intangibles, reads, knowing tendencies, doing the small things, etc. are all areas that I think have separated Brady and Manning for years now and it's continued this season. Brees is ultra accurate with the ball but he doesn't command a game like Manning or Brady.

njx9 is backpedaling after he tried to argue Orton for Top 5. LOL.
how is he backpedaling? Brady has been average at best and did not really win a game for them till like the Titans game. he looked uncomfortable in the pocket, didnt have the zip on his balls like he used to, overthrew guys, seemed to panic under pressure, seemed rattled after the defense got to him a couple of times, didnt look comfortable stepping up.

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM
how is he backpedaling? Brady has been average at best and did not really win a game for them till like the Titans game

Average at best? Have you watched him at all this season? He's playing like he has in the past. Not tearing it up the way he did that record-setting season but you can't expect that every year.

Ladybug King
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
weed king is ignoring arguments because his own argument is silly. :rolleyes:

please quote where i said that orton is definitively a top 5 qb.

You said this:

in all honesty, i'd put orton there (FOR NOW. and not because i think orton's necessarily a better qb, but if we're basing it off play this year, orton is one of the best qbs in the nfl). he may not be able to go vertical, but he doesn't need to. it's like pennington last year in miami.

And you also said Tom Brady isn't a Top 5 QB.

Hence, you're saying Orton > Brady this season.

Completely ridiculous argument.

Gay Ork Wang
11-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Average at best? Have you watched him at all this season? He's playing like he has in the past. Not tearing it up the way he did that record-setting season but you can't expect that every year.
he looked uncomfortable in the pocket, didnt have the zip on his balls like he used to, overthrew guys, seemed to panic under pressure, seemed rattled after the defense got to him a couple of times, didnt look comfortable stepping up.

thats what i edited in. and yes, why would i make an argument about a guy i havent seen

abaddon41_80
11-02-2009, 06:18 PM
And you also said Tom Brady isn't a Top 5 QB.

Hence, you're saying Orton > Brady this season.

Completely ridiculous argument.

I fail to see how that is a ridiculous argument. Brady definitely has better numbers but you can't forget that 9 of his touchdowns came against the Titans and Bucs, two of the worst pass defenses in the league, and he has a much better team around him than Orton.

7-11
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM

That can kind of give you the wrong impression but. Hitting guy in stride 20 yards downfield and him taking another 20 is completely different to being captain checkdown and relying on running backs and tight ends to get you first downs.

Gay Ork Wang
11-02-2009, 06:23 PM
what happened? why did he get banned and named to lady bug?

Jvig43
11-02-2009, 06:26 PM
No doubt Brees has outplayed Brady this year, Idk how you can make an argument for Brady being better this year. In terms of comapring them over all, I have only seen one and a half saints games this year, and while Brees has impressed me, Id have to say Brady 07 was godly. Every time I watched him let go of the ball it was like knowing it was going to be a completion.

Shiver
11-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Brady is going to have 4,000 yards, 30-8 TD/INT, and on a team that will probably be the #2 seed in the AFC. Yeah, he's not top-5 and that's forgetting his pedigree. (this forum misses the classic njx rolling eyes emoticon)

Shiver
11-02-2009, 08:10 PM
I don't care who they play. When they are on there isn't a defensive backfield that can match-up with them.

Shiver
11-02-2009, 08:55 PM
Yeah, if you don't hit them then you might as well surrender before the coin flip.

bored of education
11-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't say Tom Brady has been a slouch this year, but he hasn't been godly like he was in that one year where he was a statistically prominent offensive forece. He has played Nortwester Missouri Texarkana St Univesity CC and Holy Name Christ Devil Child Forums Day School the last two games. Throwing 9 TDs against those two teams, even if they are supposed to be NFL teams is not jaw droppingly amazing. He has been ok against defenses worth a damn.

Dirk360
11-02-2009, 09:22 PM

How is Orton even in this conversation? It's the same story as when he was with the Bears. He can keep you in a game by hitting short passes and not turning the ball over. He's Trent Dilfer. I can't fathom how people are trying to argue he's been better than Brady.

what? brady is way better than mcnabb. heck, i was diminishing mcnabbs season.

Dirk360
11-02-2009, 09:24 PM

theres no doubt about it. brees is a better pure passer. brady is a better decision maker, secondary manipulator, and he feels the pressure from everywhere.

abaddon41_80
11-03-2009, 05:59 AM
theres no doubt about it. brees is a better pure passer. brady is a better decision maker, secondary manipulator, and he feels the pressure from everywhere.

Definitely not. Tom Brady's pocket presence is one of the most overrated things in the NFL today.

Dirk360
11-03-2009, 08:18 AM
missing a wide open wes welker in the denver game for the winning td is playing like he used to? huh. could've fooled me. he IS underthrowing moss on nearly every pass, but then, he'd been underthrowing him by more than normal up until the titans game.

welker already went on record saying that he pushed it upfield when he was supposed to sit down. it was an anticapatory throw and welker anticipate wrong. thats how it looks when qb and receiver are not on the same page.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-03-2009, 08:29 AM
What are thoughts on the 2nd year QB battle between Ryan and Flacco.

Ryan CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT
2009 139 233 1649 59.7 7.08 12 9 9 82.4

Flacco CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT
165 250 1849 66.0 7.40 12 5 12 95.6

Flacco is also playing with less weapons. Both teams are 4-3 while flacco plays in the tougher AFC north.

scottyboy
11-03-2009, 09:19 AM

Flacco is also playing with less weapons. Both teams are 4-3 while flacco plays in the tougher AFC north.

Flacco has less weapons? psssh Child Please, he's only got the best weapon in the league.

Jvig43
11-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Definitely not. Tom Brady's pocket presence is one of the most overrated things in the NFL today.

Maybe this year its not the best but I watch almost every Pats game, and Brady surely has one of the best pocket awareness in the league. He does feel pressure, you see it all the time, he steps up with a guy coming from his blind side, Idk where your getting that its overrated or where your argument really is.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-03-2009, 10:31 AM

coming into the league, Ryan's always had the better offense and run game, but Flacco has had the defense. Both quarterbacks took their teams to the playoffs but Flacco went farther.

However this year, Flacco's more in-tune with his offense and they are #1 in the AFC in scoring (maybe 2nd) and he's doing all this with a lot less weapons than Matt Ryan has. Even his defense has fallen off.

Ryan however, has a hall of fame TE, a Pro Bowl caliber WR, an All-Pro running back yet he doesn't look as good as Flacco does.

All homerism aside, I feel like Flacco had a better off season and has better chemistry with his WR's. This should be a great little QB comparison for years to come.

Ravens1991
11-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Both are legit QBs, I give Flacco the edge when it comes to the Oline he has. but Ryans TE/WRs are a lot better then Flaccos TE/WRs. Flacco does have a better option out of the backfield in Ray Rice.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-03-2009, 03:47 PM
It's too hard to pick between them but solely based on this year I have to go with Flacco. You just have to wonder how great Flacco would be if he had a monster deep threat like Roddy white. Flacco has one of the prettiest deep balls in the league but it's a shame he has no one to throw it to. It's sad when the 35 year old 5-10" Derrick Mason who is known as one of the best possession receivers this decade is now regarded as your top deep ball threat and red zone target. I'll give Flacco the edge in terms of O-line but Ryan definitely has superior weapons. I still like Ryan's mobility and throwing on the run more than Flacco, but Flacco IMO has superior arm strength and now is right on par with Ryan in terms of accuracy and decision making. I see much higher upside in Flacco TBH. The strides he has taken from year 1 to year 2 are incredible.

wicket
11-03-2009, 03:58 PM
people need to realise how good the ravens OLine is though. Flacco hasnt had to run for his life like ryan did yesterday(against a decent but not great saints pass rush) his whole career

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-03-2009, 04:11 PM
people need to realise how good the ravens OLine is though. Flacco hasnt had to run for his life like ryan did yesterday(against a decent but not great saints pass rush) his whole career

he was getting hit from all over vs. Minnesota, (mostly because Jared Gaither was out) but he still threw for 385. He's so calm under pressure and his poise is unlike any other QB I've seen.

Shiver
11-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Let's leave the Ryan/Flacco thing alone until after they both have had three years starting. I know my plead won't work and we will be doomed to year after year of debate. Just ask Steelers/Chargers/Giants fans if their sick of it.

Bengalsrocket
11-03-2009, 06:10 PM
Let's leave the Ryan/Flacco thing alone until after they both have had three years starting. I know my plead won't work and we will be doomed to year after year of debate. Just ask Steelers/Chargers/Giants fans if their sick of it.

As a Bengal's fan, Palmer doesn't have any other QB's in his draft lol. Leftwhich, Grossman and Boller are all back ups now. But even so, Flacco and Ryan comparisons will come up every year till one is clearly the "better" QB (which may be never). I guess try to find a way to enjoy it lol!

billsfan1234
11-08-2009, 11:31 AM
1. P.Manning
2. T.Brady
3. D.Brees
4. P.Rivers
5. A.Rodgers

I think Roethlisberger is way overrated, he throws too many ints and his 2 rings are because of the steelers running game not him

Dirk360
11-09-2009, 08:37 AM
1. P.Manning
2. T.Brady
3. D.Brees
4. P.Rivers
5. A.Rodgers

I think Roethlisberger is way overrated, he throws too many ints and his 2 rings are because of the steelers running game not him

the first ring his team won in spite of him. but last year, cmon man. the steelers offense went down the field and scored.