PDA

View Full Version : Alex Smith

DraftWiz
11-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Jimmy Raye is an idiot. What do you think Bill Belicheck could do with Alex?

Saints-Tigers
11-01-2009, 03:11 PM
Idk, he over throws a lot of relatively easy passes, and still makes a lot of bonehead movements in the pocket and gets himself into trouble.

Doesn't look as terrible as he used to, but he still has a lot of issues.

Brent
11-01-2009, 03:20 PM
but he still has a lot of issues.
He has a terrible O-line, what do you expect? He's not Tom **** Brady.

Saints-Tigers
11-01-2009, 03:21 PM
He asked what we think about him, and I said he still has a lot of issues, even though he is much improved.

What do you want me to say? Ok, he isn't Tom Brady, so we'll absolve all of his issues.

Brent
11-01-2009, 03:25 PM
What do you want me to say? Ok, he isn't Tom Brady, so we'll absolve all of his issues.
You failed to provide any examples.

Saints-Tigers
11-01-2009, 03:51 PM
You failed to provide any examples.

he over throws a lot of relatively easy passes, and still makes a lot of bonehead movements in the pocket and gets himself into trouble.

:confused:

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Alex was impressive today, made a lot of really good throws. Was off on one or two throws, but for the most part he played very well. His OL gave him no time at all and the playcalling was horrible. Alex was carving it up in the two minute drill, so why not go back to that type of offense instead of running on first and second creating a third and long all the time? The playcaller is an idiot.

Brent
11-01-2009, 05:10 PM
he over throws a lot of relatively easy passes, and still makes a lot of bonehead movements in the pocket and gets himself into trouble.
He had one overthrown pass. And what bonehead movements in the pocket? That one play where a lineman stepped on his foot at the snap? Did you watch today's game?

Chief49er
11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Jimmy Raye is an old fart and a ****** OC.

Saints-Tigers
11-01-2009, 05:26 PM
He had one overthrown pass. And what bonehead movements in the pocket? That one play where a lineman stepped on his foot at the snap? Did you watch today's game?

LOL, just one over throw? :eek:

LizardState
11-01-2009, 06:20 PM
His only INT was a tipped ball vs Indy.

They mentioned that the offense has been customized to resemble the Utah spread in the shotgun. That worked well with Vernon Davis in the deep middle routes the last 2 games, post patterns went for 3-4 TDs. He's turning that corner of looking at more than 1 receiver.

I thought he had one foot out of town by now, but he signed a new contract last yr. That means SF won't spend a draft pick on a QB.

abaddon41_80
11-01-2009, 06:22 PM
LOL, just one over throw? :eek:

Today. Most of his passes were right on the money, or at least catchable, but the receivers did not catch them. His interception was on a catchable, well-thrown ball.

MarioPalmer
11-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Alex Smith is in the same boat with the other busts, Carr, Young, Leinert, Carr, Couch, Akili, McNown, Russell, Leaf, etc.

Belichick wouldn't touch Smith.

tjsunstein
11-01-2009, 07:02 PM
I'm still a believer in Smith.

Bucs_Rule
11-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Jimmy Raye is an idiot. What do you think Bill Belicheck could do with Alex?

Release him.

fenikz
11-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Leinart is no more of a bust than Aaron Rodger

Iamcanadian
11-01-2009, 09:37 PM

I agree and neither was Couch whose career was ruined by injuries or VY and his 19-11 career record. Who knows what Russell could be if the dysfunctional Oakland Raiders didn't draft him, I doubt any young QB could succeed there.

wogitalia
11-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I still like Smith and really, given their parts, I would love to see the 49ers open up and implement a lot more spread(there are tiny elements right now). I mean Smith is going to be more comfortable, Crabtree should be, Davis will be fine and it might take a bit of pressure off a line that isn't all that talented and that has struggled at times. Right now the 49ers would be the pro team that is probably best suited to trying the spread, it really is only a matter of time, especially given the success that New England and now Denver have had with their quasi-spread offenses.

I'm a big Leinart fan, but that isn't true, Rodger's hadn't played at all, Leinart played and wasn't bad or good. I still think he ends up being good, you just can't have his skills and ability to read at the college level and not have it translate at all, he always looked fine to me out there and now gets the time he should to learn.

MarioPalmer
11-02-2009, 02:49 PM
I am amzaed at some of the people who continue to hold on to prized prospects even after they have failed miserably. Young is a bust, Russell is a bust, Couch is a bust, and OMG so is Alex Smith.

Move on, they are done and at the very least they maybe able to slavage their career and become a Trent Dilfer, and even though Dilfer won the Super Bowl he was a massive bust. Let it go, they all have had their chance, 3 years and some and they still look like scared rookies with no clue on how to effectively win in the NFL. GAME OVER for these scrubs, they will never be Ryan, Flacco, Palmer, Manning, Eli, McNabb, Rivers, Rogers, Rothlisberger, Cutty, etc, and they were all picked in the same draft slots which ta duh! MEANS THEY ARE BUSTS!!!!!

steelersfan43
11-02-2009, 03:00 PM
best qb in the league besides drew

alex is my boy

49ersfan_87
11-02-2009, 03:27 PM
He obviously wasn't very good before but he looks to have matured. I hope he keeps it up for the rest of the year (and beyond). We'll see though.

FUNBUNCHER
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I am amzaed at some of the people who continue to hold on to prized prospects even after they have failed miserably. Young is a bust, Russell is a bust, Couch is a bust, and OMG so is Alex Smith.

Move on, they are done and at the very least they maybe able to slavage their career and become a Trent Dilfer, and even though Dilfer won the Super Bowl he was a massive bust. Let it go, they all have had their chance, 3 years and some and they still look like scared rookies with no clue on how to effectively win in the NFL. GAME OVER for these scrubs, they will never be Ryan, Flacco, Palmer, Manning, Eli, McNabb, Rivers, Rogers, Rothlisberger, Cutty, etc, and they were all picked in the same draft slots which ta duh! MEANS THEY ARE BUSTS!!!!!

It's the trend now, but historically QBs need time to develop. Aikman needed time, so did Elway, Staubach, Bradshaw, and Steve Young.

Alex Smith may become something, but I doubt he'll ever be a star. And you just have mad hate for VY, let's see what he does the remainder of the season.
Couch is out of the league so yes he qualifies as a bust.
Leinart IMO does not and merely had the bad misfortune of being unable to outplay Kurt Warner for #1. If both QBs are on the Cards roster in 2010, I fully expect Leinart to be named the starter..

tjsunstein
11-02-2009, 05:27 PM

Rodgers also needed time to develop. I'm not counting Smith out just yet. He's in a great position to prove himself this year. Does that mean that he will play up to where he was drafted? Probably won't. But I'm not going to count him out on being an effective starting QB in this league.

niel89
11-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I for one havent seen Alex Smith 'fail miserably.' He had a bad first season as a rookie, had a better second season with some really nice wins, and was hurt in his third season and had a bad relationship with his head coach. He still has plenty of career life to get stable and develop.

abaddon41_80
11-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I for one havent seen Alex Smith 'fail miserably.' He had a bad first season as a rookie, had a better second season with some really nice wins, and was hurt in his third season and had a bad relationship with his head coach. He still has plenty of career life to get stable and develop.

I was about to say the same thing. I don't think Smith should be written off after one terribad season as a rookie, massive improvement in his second year, and then an injury. He is still only 25

BlindSite
11-02-2009, 06:08 PM
There's a lot of QBs who don't come out till they're 24 for him to be this developed and this experienced at 25 is a good thing for him.

If he becomes a Free Agent next year I'm sure there's going to be a rather sizeable market for a guy with experience in multiple systems, has started around 2 full seasons in 4 years can evade pass rushes and has no issues making any throw. Not to mention is becoming an effective QB.

49ersfan_87
11-02-2009, 06:43 PM
There's a lot of QBs who don't come out till they're 24 for him to be this developed and this experienced at 25 is a good thing for him.

If he becomes a Free Agent next year I'm sure there's going to be a rather sizeable market for a guy with experience in multiple systems, has started around 2 full seasons in 4 years can evade pass rushes and has no issues making any throw. Not to mention is becoming an effective QB.

He reworked his deal, he becomes a FA after the 2010 season. And the 49ers like what they see- if he continues his improved play they may not let Smith get to that point.Here's what Singletary had to say about him

Singletary also gave the single biggest endorsement of Smith since he's been in the league.

"It looks like he is developing very quickly into that quarterback that can be a special quarterback," Singletary said. "We are excited about that."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/11/singletary-backs-rayes-playcalling.html

nepg
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Couch was not a bust. He, like David Carr and Smith (until now) was a result of the system he was placed in.

Smith is more in the situation Drew Brees was in than any of those other players. It's not that he's not getting it or improving, it's that Nolan threw him under the bus to try to save his job.