PDA

View Full Version : GM's available?

mancl
11-02-2009, 06:58 PM
I have come to the realization that it is time for a regime change in Green Bay starting with Thompson. Just too many of the same problems, can't run the ball, poor discipline., lack of aggressiveness in bringing vets etc.

The 'name' coaching prospects are well knowd- Shanahan, Cower, but the Packers should hire a GM first and keep that separate from the HC. Who would be potential GM's this off season? And don't even think of Holmgrem

Thumper
11-02-2009, 07:01 PM
Tom Heckert of the Eagles has almost left the past couple offseasons, he has no say in matters because Andy Reid is the VP of Personnel Department and is essentially the GM in everything but title. He almost left for the Browns but he declined after they hired Mangini because he wanted his own guy.

Also I will refer you to this link:
http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/10/21/five-underrated-nfl-executives

That is a list of five executives ready to take the next step and become general managers.

bigbluedefense
11-02-2009, 07:04 PM
Marc Ross, head of scouting for the Giants would make an excellent GM. He's Jerry Reese's right hand man, and I think the world of him.

But seriously, TT is a great GM. Packer fans need to take that chill pill. I have no idea why anyone would blame TT for the Favre saga.

Especially since he made the right move. And he's done a great job filling that team with talent.

Injuries happen. You can't win em all. Sometimes you just get unlucky. TT is doing a fine job in GB.

BlindSite
11-02-2009, 07:05 PM
Good GMs IMO usually come from directors of college or pro scouting under great GMs.

Matthew Jones
11-02-2009, 07:08 PM
I like Caserio in New England. I think the success of Dimitroff in Atlanta bodes well for him, although the Scott Pioli situation in Kansas City doesn't look that good so far and it might hurt his chances, along with the fact that, other than Josh McDaniels, most recent Belichick disciples haven't really panned out. I don't keep up on executives much, though, just saying that personally it seems like Caserio knows his stuff whether it's X's and O's or more big-picture stuff.

bigbluedefense
11-02-2009, 07:12 PM
well, we're all pretty much going to name guys from our own teams haha :)

But if you think about it, nabbing a scouting guy from a great drafting organization is the way to go.

So guys from the Giants, Eagles, Patriots, Steelers, Colts, etc would be guys to consider.

MiWolves
11-02-2009, 07:16 PM
I think your overreacting a little bit. To be honest if I was in his position I would've done the same thing and got rid of Favre. Favre was playing the "should i retire game" for 3 straight years and Thompson probably got tired of it. Well most of us got tired of that fiasco. Sure most of his first round picks were bust but lets see what they were. Aaron Rodgers is doing amazing now and will probably be your QB for 6-10 more years. AJ Hawk more fitted to be a 4-3 linebacker. Justin Harrell was injury prone. BJ Raji and Clay matthews is in his rookie year. The only thing I've seen that I didn't like was that he didn't attempt to trade for Randy Moss.

GB12
11-02-2009, 07:45 PM
God damn it. I ******* hate Packer fans.

Ted Thompson is one of the better GMs in the NFL. He's doing a great job and is responsible for pretty much every talented player on our team. There are a few things he's missed on like fixing the OL, but no GM is perfect. Thompson is way better than anyone else available and is not and should not be anywhere close to being fired.

bored of education
11-02-2009, 07:46 PM
I am going to state the guy who I was hoping would have been the Chiefs current GM. Eric DeCosta. I wanted him since day one of the end of the Carl Peterson regime was over. I really think he is the next big front office guy that will be dominant for some team as a GM.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27880

A brief bio on DeCosta from the Ravens website:

After leading the team’s college scouting department for six years, Eric DeCosta was promoted to director of player personnel in 2009. DeCosta works with GM Ozzie Newsome to oversee both the college and pro scouting departments. A graduate of the Ravens’ “20/20 Club,” Eric joined the franchise in an entry-level position in 1996, the team’s first in Baltimore. He was honored in 2005 by The Sporting News as one of the top young stars in sports and was selected to both the 2008 Baltimore Business Journal and Baltimore Magazine “40 under 40” group. He also served on the eight-member committee to interview and select Ravens head coach John Harbaugh in 2008. During DeCosta’s tenure as scouting director, the Ravens drafted Pro Bowlers LB Terrell Suggs (’03) and FB Le’Ron McClain (’07) and a number of other key contributors, including OLB Jarret Johnson (’03), WR Mark Clayton (’05), C Jason Brown (’05), DT Haloti Ngata (’06), G Ben Grubbs (’07), T Jared Gaither (’07 Supplemental Draft) and QB Joe Flacco (’08)

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/People/Staff/Player_Personnel/Eric_DeCosta.aspx

bored of education
11-02-2009, 07:47 PM
I like Caserio in New England. I think the success of Dimitroff in Atlanta bodes well for him, although the Scott Pioli situation in Kansas City doesn't look that good so far and it might hurt his chances, along with the fact that, other than Josh McDaniels, most recent Belichick disciples haven't really panned out. I don't keep up on executives much, though, just saying that personally it seems like Caserio knows his stuff whether it's X's and O's or more big-picture stuff.

He had half of one off season to work on the team. Give him time. It didnt happen right away in NE for you.

DeepThreat
11-02-2009, 07:48 PM
George Kokinis.

aNYtitan
11-02-2009, 07:52 PM
George Kokinis.

LOL

Look at the talent he brought to the Browns. People like Joshua Cribbs...and...Joe Thomas...and...Josh Cribbs

Brothgar
11-02-2009, 08:09 PM
LOL

Look at the talent he brought to the Browns. People like Joshua Cribbs...and...Joe Thomas...and...Josh Cribbs

Those guys were taken before George Kokinis got there. Before he got to the Brown he was the right hand guy to in Baltimore. Head of scouting head of personnel etc.

nepg
11-02-2009, 08:12 PM
The Savage Kok...

tjsunstein
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I have come to the realization that it is time for a regime change in Green Bay starting with Thompson. Just too many of the same problems, can't run the ball, poor discipline., lack of aggressiveness in bringing vets etc.

The 'name' coaching prospects are well knowd- Shanahan, Cower, but the Packers should hire a GM first and keep that separate from the HC. Who would be potential GM's this off season? And don't even think of Holmgrem

Are you serious with firing Ted Thompson? You make Packers fans look bad. Give me reasons. Now. I beg you.

Note to board: He is a seperate entity from the majority of the Packers fans. Don't take his opinion, as ill minded and ignorant as it is, as the voice for the rest of us.

tjsunstein
11-02-2009, 08:15 PM
LOL

He tried with Shaun Rogers. Gotta give him credit for trying, right?

jackalope
11-02-2009, 08:16 PM
God damn it. I ******* hate Packer fans.

Ted Thompson is one of the better GMs in the NFL. He's doing a great job and is responsible for pretty much every talented player on our team. There are a few things he's missed on like fixing the OL, but no GM is perfect. Thompson is way better than anyone else available and is not and should not be anywhere close to being fired.

Exactly. Thompson is an excellent GM and we'd be stupid to get rid of him. Too many people are overreacting to yesterday's lose, and many are still bitter that he made the right decision with Favre.

coordinator0
11-02-2009, 08:19 PM
I am going to state the guy who I was hoping would have been the Chiefs current GM. Eric DeCosta. I wanted him since day one of the end of the Carl Peterson regime was over. I really think he is the next big front office guy that will be dominant for some team as a GM.

After leading the team’s college scouting department for six years, Eric DeCosta was promoted to director of player personnel in 2009. DeCosta works with GM Ozzie Newsome to oversee both the college and pro scouting departments. A graduate of the Ravens’ “20/20 Club,” Eric joined the franchise in an entry-level position in 1996, the team’s first in Baltimore. He was honored in 2005 by The Sporting News as one of the top young stars in sports and was selected to both the 2008 Baltimore Business Journal and Baltimore Magazine “40 under 40” group. He also served on the eight-member committee to interview and select Ravens head coach John Harbaugh in 2008. During DeCosta’s tenure as scouting director, the Ravens drafted Pro Bowlers LB Terrell Suggs (’03) and FB Le’Ron McClain (’07) and a number of other key contributors, including OLB Jarret Johnson (’03), WR Mark Clayton (’05), C Jason Brown (’05), DT Haloti Ngata (’06), G Ben Grubbs (’07), T Jared Gaither (’07 Supplemental Draft) and QB Joe Flacco (’08)

That's enough of that, we need Eric for when Ozzie leaves for Alabama!

bored of education
11-02-2009, 08:20 PM
That's enough of that, we need Eric for when Ozzie leaves for Alabama!

No i been on Erics hog for some time now.

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
I'm available. just have them gimme a call

tjsunstein
11-02-2009, 08:24 PM

An all Rutgers NFL team. Ryan D'Imperio, first rounder. Make it happen Scotty. He dominated my high school back then as a RB and LB. Wasn't fair.

Thumper
11-02-2009, 08:27 PM

Step #1: Trade Aaron Rodgers for Ray Rice and his juicy thighs
Step #2: Trade Greg Jennings for Kenny Britt
Step #3: Trade future first for Mike Teel
Step #4: Trade Ryan Grant for Brian Leonard
Step #5: Trade Aaron Kampman for Jamaal Westerman
Step #6: Trade entire draft for Anthony Davis
Step #7: Championship!

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
An all Rutgers NFL team. Ryan D'Imperio, first rounder. Make it happen Scotty. He dominated my high school back then as a RB and LB. Wasn't fair.

you got it.

actually I'd pick Davis for the Pack, which really makes sense...
and then D'Imperio in the 2nd! :D
tim brown in the 3rd! EPIC PASS OFFENSE

bored of education
11-02-2009, 08:37 PM
Don't forget E Fost!

RaiderNation
11-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Raiders gm is Al Davis :(

vidae
11-02-2009, 09:51 PM

Wait, what? Give him more than a year to build a team before he's written off. Did people really expect the Chiefs to turn it around with a very tough first half of the schedule? I don't get that.

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Wait, what? Give him more than a year to build a team before he's written off. Did people really expect the Chiefs to turn it around with a very tough first half of the schedule? I don't get that.

I easily expected the Chiefs to have 10 wins by now, at least

vidae
11-02-2009, 10:17 PM
I easily expected the Chiefs to have 10 wins by now, at least

We have ZERO Rutgers players Scotty! ZERO!

scottyboy
11-02-2009, 10:20 PM
We have ZERO Rutgers players Scotty! ZERO!

BURN THE WITCHES!! BURN THEM!

hmmm draft Timmy Brown then, he'd be an excellent speedster along side Bowe

Bengalsrocket
11-02-2009, 10:32 PM
People are straight up spoiled by Mike Smith and Matt Ryan. Teams just don't instantly produce as soon as you bring in a new coach or GM.

Pioli is not going to do a rush job in KC, and the organization is not going to force him into that. They're completely redoing the defense there, and Pioli tried to help that defense by bringing in Tyson Jackson. Sure Jackson might have been a bit of reach, and it's possible that he'll never wow anyone with his play. But it was a safe pick, and it's going to pay off when Pioli starts bringing in studs to help that defense.

He got his QB of the future in Cassel, he knows that Bowe is the #1 there, and he's going to slowly build that offensive line up to protect Cassel and then fill in skill positions afterward (hopefully booting LJ somewhere in between).

He doesn't seem like a GM that's going to turn things around instantly, but instead make smart, calculated and most importantly safe moves to build that franchise correctly and make sure it's a constant contender in the some what struggling AFC west.

Pioli will not hurt Caserio's chances of helping another franchise in my opinion.

Matthew Jones
11-02-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not saying Pioli will be bad (I still hold out hope for him), just that so far he hasn't really improved anything in Kansas City, and that when people are evaluating Caserio for a potential GM job, they might look at the success rate of Pioli in Kansas City in his first year. Remember, everyone though Pioli hosed the Patriots on that deal for Cassel, but so far he hasn't really been making plays in Kansas City, and it's not like the Chiefs were bringing in all sorts of great players this offseason - most of their draft was relatively unimpressive. The Chiefs are looking like a very, very long term project. They have needs throughout the entire roster and only a few players who look like locks to stay on the team, mostly due to draft status or money invested and not really due to production thus far. You'd think they'd have at least beat the Raiders.

A Perfect Score
11-03-2009, 12:15 AM

You cant have him. Hes one of the NFL's best kept secrets. Go away!

Scotty D
11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
You cant have him. Hes one of the NFL's best kept secrets. Go away!

You guys should freeze Ozzie Newsome in hopes of bringing him back to life in the future.

CC.SD
11-03-2009, 12:39 AM
Marty Schottenheimer wants to get into the GM game...doooo it.

Stash
11-03-2009, 01:02 AM
Raiders gm is Al Davis :(
Seriously, I'd kill a man to have TT make the decisions around here.

PoopSandwich
11-03-2009, 01:52 AM
He tried with Shaun Rogers. Gotta give him credit for trying, right?

Savage got Rogers too, and he was great last year and hes playing good this year.

tjsunstein
11-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Savage got Rogers too, and he was great last year and hes playing good this year.

Well then I'm all out. I think he needed more time, though.

Leon Sandcastle
11-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Ron Hughes-Steelers, Marc Ross-Giants, Eric DeCosta-Ravens

Scotty D
11-18-2009, 11:30 PM
Matt Millen, commentator ESPN