PDA

View Full Version : Bob Sanders injured...again

Matthew Jones
11-04-2009, 06:59 PM
According to PFT, Bob Sanders missed practice today with an elbow injury after finally playing in a game last week. I assume he'll be listed as questionable for the game this week, but that's just speculation on my part. This guy has to be the least durable star in the league, although I'm not sure the term star is fitting for a guy who plays in seven or eight games a year. Out of 87 potential games in his career, Sanders has played in 47, or 54% of potential games. Rodney Harrison, regarded as one of the most injury-prone players in the league over his last few seasons (a fact which I won't dispute - it seemed like there was always some season ending injury) played in 54 of his last 87 games, almost a half-season more than Sanders has. What do you guys think will end up coming of this? Also, how do these repeated injuries affect his reputation as a player?

Personally, I don't deny that Sanders is a big impact player for the Colts when he's healthy, but I think these injuries are getting crazy. Sanders has a $37.5 million deal (signed midway through the 2007 season and locking him up until after the 2012 season), but I just can't see a player worth about a million dollars a game unless we're talking about a Hall of Fame quarterback like Brady or Manning. An injured player is useless to a team on game day, and unless Sanders gets onto the field for some full seasons, in my opinion he's not worth his All-Pro reputation.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/04/bob-sanders-has-a-new-injury/

wordofi
11-04-2009, 07:01 PM
According to PFT, Bob Sanders missed practice today with an elbow injury after finally playing in a game last week. I assume he'll be listed as questionable for the game this week, but that's just speculation on my part. This guy has to be the least durable star in the league, although I'm not sure the term star is fitting for a guy who plays in seven or eight games a year. Out of 87 potential games in his career, Sanders has played in 47, or 54% of potential games. Rodney Harrison, regarded as one of the most injury-prone players in the league over his last few seasons (a fact which I won't dispute - it seemed like there was always some season ending injury) played in 54 of his last 87 games, almost a half-season more than Sanders has. What do you guys think will end up coming of this? Also, how do these repeated injuries affect his reputation as a player?

Personally, I don't deny that Sanders is a big impact player for the Colts when he's healthy, but I think these injuries are getting crazy. Sanders has a $37.5 million deal (signed midway through the 2007 season and locking him up until after the 2012 season), but I just can't see a player worth about a million dollars a game unless we're talking about a Hall of Fame quarterback like Brady or Manning. An injured player is useless to a team on game day, and unless Sanders gets onto the field for some full seasons, in my opinion he's not worth his All-Pro reputation.

Source: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/04/bob-sanders-has-a-new-injury/

I completely agree with you. I can't think of anybody who is as injury prone as him.

aNYtitan
11-04-2009, 07:07 PM
The days of him being probably the best small defensive player is over. He was as good a defensive player when healthy, probably a notch or two below Polamalu and Reed when comparing peeks, but still real good. They could cut him this offseason and not be penalized, which with that monster contract, I could see happening.

Matthew Jones
11-04-2009, 07:09 PM
The days of him being probably the best small defensive player is over. He was as good a defensive player when healthy, probably a notch or two below Polamalu and Reed when comparing peeks, but still real good. They could cut him this offseason and not be penalized, which with that monster contract, I could see happening.

Interesting. I don't know if I could see him getting cut straight up, but maybe sort of like what happened with LaDainian Tomlinson last year where the Chargers basically told him to take a pay cut or take a hike. That seems a little more likely to me, especially if he misses more games this year. At this rate, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get some money back or anything though.

Shiver
11-04-2009, 07:10 PM
You just cannot play like that, utterly reckless, and expect to stay healthy. What makes him a great player is also what makes him an injured player.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Will Eric Berry have these injury issues as well?

Splat
11-04-2009, 07:21 PM

Only if he goes to the Chiefs since I'm doomed as a fan.

aNYtitan
11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Interesting. I don't know if I could see him getting cut straight up, but maybe sort of like what happened with LaDainian Tomlinson last year where the Chargers basically told him to take a pay cut or take a hike. That seems a little more likely to me, especially if he misses more games this year. At this rate, I'd be surprised if they didn't try to get some money back or anything though.
I think its possible he walks away. I mean he has a good report with the Colts, but I could see him going out and saying, I'm going to try and show that these Colts made a mistake, while finding more money.
Too early to say. Berry has yet to play a down, similar styles, but Berry is already bigger then Sanders at a much younger age. I think he bulks up a bit as he grows, probably avoiding the injuries.

jayceheathman
11-04-2009, 07:31 PM

One thing is for sure and that is that Tim Tebow will never get injured.

niel89
11-04-2009, 08:08 PM
Its really a shame. His a great player when he is on the field but he can never stay on the field.

tylerb929
11-04-2009, 08:48 PM
Bob Sanders is only owed 2 million next year. There is no way they force him to take less or leave. The guy is injury prone, but 2 million is worth the gamble for a guy like him. Luckily the Colts have Melvin Bullitt, who has proven to be very capable in Bob's absence.

I doubt his elbow injury is anything serious, he'll probably play Sunday. It's probably just precautionary.

Staubach12
11-04-2009, 08:51 PM

I completely agree. He was a great player, but his body just hasn't been able to hold due to his intense, physical style of play.

aNYtitan
11-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Bob Sanders is only owed 2 million next year. There is no way they force him to take less or leave. The guy is injury prone, but 2 million is worth the gamble for a guy like him. Luckily the Colts have Melvin Bullitt, who has proven to be very capable in Bob's absence.

I doubt his elbow injury is anything serious, he'll probably play Sunday. It's probably just precautionary.

Maybe trade him then? I mean its a small price for a gamble, but if you can get something like a second rounder (I could see it happening for Sanders), would you do it?

tylerb929
11-04-2009, 10:43 PM
Maybe trade him then? I mean its a small price for a gamble, but if you can get something like a second rounder (I could see it happening for Sanders), would you do it?

Well, at this point, its pretty hard to tell Bullitt he has to sit on the bench because Bob is going to play. Bullitt is out there, playing his hardest, doing everything he can for the team, including special teams.

Sanders is no longer what he was, it used to be, he was in the defense was great, he was out and they sucked. As of recently, they've shown they can be good without him (they've allowed the fewest points per game this season, mainly without Sanders). Right now, Freeney is the only irreplaceable player on the defense.

There is no way they cut him, this year or next. The money owed to him is so little, he's worth the risk. After next year, the contract starts to increase, and then the cut/renegotiate could be an option, but until then he's worth the $2 million a year even if he plays only 8 games (hopefully in the playoffs).

Trading him could be a possibility, but I think it'd take more than a second. Sanders was a second and its hard to imagine getting a better player for a second. Obviously they can't trade him this season, so maybe his stock will go up or he'll reprove himself. But it'd probably take a first, or a second and some to get him. Don't know if they'd trade for a player, but with Polian the picks are probably just as good.

Really this elbow injury just sounds like an excuse to give him some rest, I'd guess he plays against the Texans. If it said "knee" I'd be concerned, but he's never had an elbow problem in the past and I can't imagine a defensive back couldn't play with a cast on if the elbow is in pain.

aNYtitan
11-05-2009, 12:02 AM
Well, at this point, its pretty hard to tell Bullitt he has to sit on the bench because Bob is going to play. Bullitt is out there, playing his hardest, doing everything he can for the team, including special teams.

Sanders is no longer what he was, it used to be, he was in the defense was great, he was out and they sucked. As of recently, they've shown they can be good without him (they've allowed the fewest points per game this season, mainly without Sanders). Right now, Freeney is the only irreplaceable player on the defense.

There is no way they cut him, this year or next. The money owed to him is so little, he's worth the risk. After next year, the contract starts to increase, and then the cut/renegotiate could be an option, but until then he's worth the $2 million a year even if he plays only 8 games (hopefully in the playoffs).

Trading him could be a possibility, but I think it'd take more than a second. Sanders was a second and its hard to imagine getting a better player for a second. Obviously they can't trade him this season, so maybe his stock will go up or he'll reprove himself. But it'd probably take a first, or a second and some to get him. Don't know if they'd trade for a player, but with Polian the picks are probably just as good.

Really this elbow injury just sounds like an excuse to give him some rest, I'd guess he plays against the Texans. If it said "knee" I'd be concerned, but he's never had an elbow problem in the past and I can't imagine a defensive back couldn't play with a cast on if the elbow is in pain.

No one decides to give up firsts for franchise players (can't even recall the last player to be signed that was franchise tagged) and you think that an oft injured player will get one? Doubtful

killxswitch
11-05-2009, 11:21 AM
I would take a 2nd for Bob, absolutely. He was a great player. He may be again, but I doubt it. He had time off recovering for what was supposed to just be a scope, but it was actually microfracture surgery. His knee problems are degenerative.

Last game he played more of a centerfielder role. He did get a pick, and a few times he crept up, but he is not being allowed to play the role he used to play. I'm not sure he can change.

I will be forever grateful for his return at the end of '06, I don't think the Colts would've won the SB without him. And I don't blame him for being hurt, that isn't his fault. But I don't think he will ever be back in his 2007 form again. And that is sad, he was amazing to watch when healthy.

DeathbyStat
11-05-2009, 11:25 AM
The man can do what he wants but isn't it in his best intrest to retire

CC.SD
11-05-2009, 12:09 PM
The man can do what he wants but isn't it in his best intrest to retire

Nope if he can play out a few more years he will get many more millions of dollars.

djp
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I will gladly take him on the Vikings if he restructured his deal, probably for our 2nd. Worth the gamble this team at this point. They are all in this year and next year with Favre.

He wouldn't fit with his current deal.

GhostDeini
11-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Why did he ever win DPOY ?

SuperKevin
11-05-2009, 04:30 PM
I don't think the Colts would get a 2nd rounder for him. If we are noticing his injury concerns then I'm sure NFL front offices notice them too. If they traded him I'd expect it to be for no better than a 3rd round pick

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-05-2009, 04:33 PM
I would love him to come to Baltimore and play 8-9 games next season for us. I mean of course I would want him to play all 16 but he won't do that.

Shane P. Hallam
11-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Also Adam Schefter reporting that Marlin Jackson has torn his ACL and will be out for the season.

CC.SD
11-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Why did he ever win DPOY ?

Colts D was #1 that year, and he was coming off that ridiculously good playoff run. A pretty good argument could be made for him deserving it, although personally I did not agree.

aNYtitan
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Also Adam Schefter reporting that Marlin Jackson has torn his ACL and will be out for the season.

That sucks, and here I was hoping the Titans sign him this offseason. Someone coming of an ACL tear is a risky proposition.

Splat
11-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Bob Sanders needs elbow surgery (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/06/bob-sanders-needs-elbow-surgery/)

tylerb929
11-06-2009, 01:11 PM
Wow, I'll take that 2nd now.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4628597

Done for the year.

General Zod
11-06-2009, 01:49 PM
Wow, what a bad week injury week for Colts fans. What is Sanders contrat situation? I really think its time for the Colts to move on if its going to save them some cap for next season.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-06-2009, 01:53 PM
I completely agree with you. I can't think of anybody who is as injury prone as him.

Aaron Ross! Sometimes I forget he even is on the team!

tylerb929
11-06-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow, what a bad week injury week for Colts fans.

Tell me about it.
These are the injuries we've learned about so far this week:

Sanders: Out for the year.
Marlin Jackson: Out for the year
Tyjuan Hagler: Out for the year

Kelvin Hayden: Out 4 more weeks
Anthony Gonzalez: Out 2-3 more weeks

At least the rookie CBs, and the young WRs are stepping up. If not, our team would be f*#!ed. But we really haven't seen much from Sanders, Jackson, Hayden, or Gonzo yet this year, so its not like much changes. Hagler being IRed is a disappointment, he was playing very well.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Tell me about it.
These are the injuries we've learned about so far this week:

Sanders: Out for the year.
Marlin Jackson: Out for the year
Tyjuan Hagler: Out for the year

Kelvin Hayden: Out 4 more weeks
Anthony Gonzalez: Out 2-3 more weeks

At least the rookie CBs, and the young WRs are stepping up. If not, our team would be f*#!ed.

Yeah but they have god as their QB. So if the other team scores more on them, god will simply carry that team on his back and win in a shootout. I am not worried about that team as long as Manning is their QB.

GhostDeini
11-06-2009, 03:35 PM
Colts D was #1 that year, and he was coming off that ridiculously good playoff run. A pretty good argument could be made for him deserving it, although personally I did not agree.

That was quite possibly the worst DPOY season I've ever seen. Jared Allen led NFL in sacks that year and also broke up 10 passes.

wordofi
11-06-2009, 04:50 PM
That was quite possibly the worst DPOY season I've ever seen. Jared Allen led NFL in sacks that year and also broke up 10 passes.

They're not going to give the DPOY to a guy on a terrible team.

Seamus2602
11-07-2009, 01:58 PM
They're not going to give the DPOY to a guy on a terrible team.

(Cough)... Jason Taylor - 6-10 Dolphins... (Cough)

There is word that if they can't secure a trade and Bob Sanders doesn't reduce his wages then the Colts might cut him in the Offseason.

Don Vito
11-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Sucks, he is one of my favorite players in the league. I don't think he will be in Indy too much longer, I would love to see him on the Pats but we won't be looking to add a safety and he just can't stay healthy.