PDA

View Full Version : "He has getting away from cops speed"

no bare feet
11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Gus-Johnson-sorry-for-Getting-away-from-the-cop?urn=nfl,200191

Gus' apology

"If there is a perception of racism in this analogy, it is not coming from me. People of all races have run from the law. However, to those who are offended, I apologize."

Discuss.

Splat
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
I don't care who you are thats funny...

Shiver
11-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Can we stop with this PC-mumbo jumbo already?

Brothgar
11-05-2009, 12:46 PM

QFT people are too sensitive these days.

bigbuc
11-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I was watching when he made the call. So funny!!! Gus is one of the best. Makes you feel like your watching it with a die hard fan... love his game calls.

no bare feet
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
Gus is awesome. I see nothing wrong with it.

diabsoule
11-05-2009, 12:47 PM
QFT people are too sensitive these days.

Yes, they are. It aggravates me to no end. I'm going to stop there, though. I've gotta refrain myself from going off.

ThePudge
11-05-2009, 12:55 PM
He absolutely has gettin away from the cops speed.

scottyboy
11-05-2009, 12:57 PM
this is stupid. the people who should be issuing the apologies are the ones offended by this

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-05-2009, 12:58 PM
People are dumb. No matter what you say you are a racist. You know what makes you a racist? Having the mind state that that was a shot at any specific race. When you are running from the cops you run faster than you normally would. This is why people like Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson need to be put in a whole somewhere. I know they don't have nothing to do with it but I wouldn't be surprised if they said something about it. I ******* hate people.

Brothgar
11-05-2009, 01:00 PM
At risk of this becoming a flame war I have two questions.

1. Does Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton get involved in this and if they don't are they Hippocrates?

2. If this was a white guy who said it how fast would he be fired.

I still stand that this PC crap is all bs.

FlyingElvis
11-05-2009, 01:02 PM
"Gus is right, I guess. Have you ever seen "Cops"? There are black people, white people, Latino people, all running from the police. Unfortunately for them, it seems that very few have "Gettin' away from the cops" speed. Or shirts."

hahahaha!!

This whole thing is pretty damn funny. I like Gus' comment that people of all colors have run from the police. I wish he had said: "However, to those who are offended, I am sorry you are so easily offended."

Problem solved. The blame goes squarely on the morons who immediately jump to racism, sexism or any other stupid "ism" and make foolish inferences.

roscoesdad27
11-05-2009, 01:19 PM

i agree.

nascar is the sport that actually evolved from bootleggers racing from the law.

"one day the mountain might get me but the law never will"....waylon jennings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8evgQc1mvA

we're not allowed to talk about the real reason of raciasm thus masking the real problem and creating real racism.

fighting the drug war in the inner cities as opposed to the borders is the problem/set up....but being politically correct prevents us from talking about that and the effects it has on the black community thus giving the elite a security blanket....same thing for the untold billions we have spent on israel (which is a shameful joke), question that and the system declares your anti semetic....meanwhile the lawyers, bankers and investors are laughing all the way to the bank.

Brent
11-05-2009, 01:21 PM
cHofAqyja_s

haha wow.

Gay Ork Wang
11-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Gus Johnson = best sportscaster ever

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2009, 01:25 PM
This isn't a big deal at all, and he actually said it in the heat of the play, not after the fact, so it's not like he had a chance to think much about it, he was excited, and I didn't sense any racial tones at all with that remark.

Sad that this is the society that we live in today. I'm all for getting on someone like Rush Limbaugh when he says something beligerant or an obvious racist remark, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

diabsoule
11-05-2009, 01:30 PM

1. Does Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton get involved in this and if they don't are they Hippocrates?

He probably would have been fired during the commercial break. I don't get it. I really don't. I thought it was more humorous than anything. Maybe my mind just doesn't go there as far as racism is concerned. You have to wonder who the racists are in this world between someone can just sit back and laugh and not think about racism and someone who gets offended and screams racism.

Brothgar
11-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Sad that this is the society that we live in today. I'm all for getting on someone like Rush Limbaugh when he says something beligerant or an obvious racist remark, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with this.

iueJLjF-WtM

Is what Limbaugh said really all that bad? Don't get me wrong I hate Rush's politics but I can't see what was so outwardly racist about what he said.

Sorry to say this, I don't think he's (McNabb) been that good from the get-go,

I guess I'm racist too.

I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well. There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team.

If I'm reading this correctly he is saying that McNabb is getting over rated by the media. He is accusing the media of having a pro black QB bias because of their over hyping of a 'QB who isn't all that good'.

gsorace
11-05-2009, 01:58 PM
FO214IFRW1M

Everybody should watch this

dabears10
11-05-2009, 02:02 PM

http://www.tomroeser.com/blog/img/f24883/hippocrates.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates

Brothgar
11-05-2009, 02:04 PM
http://www.tomroeser.com/blog/img/f24883/hippocrates.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocrates

GD it you made me LOL in the middle of work now I have to think of a way that eye cancer is funny.

yo123
11-05-2009, 02:06 PM
What a joke. The fact that people actually thought of this being a racist remark makes them the racist, not Gus.

Gus is the best play by play guy in sports.

FlyingElvis
11-05-2009, 02:09 PM
Is what Limbaugh said really all that bad? Don't get me wrong I hate Rush's politics but I can't see what was so outwardly racist about what he said.

If I'm reading this correctly he is saying that McNabb is getting over rated by the media. He is accusing the media of having a pro black QB bias because of their over hyping of a 'QB who isn't all that good'.
Yup. Can't stand Rushbo but he was unjustly worked over b/c of this.

Didn't watch it but I assume it's the one I've seen a few times. Morgan is right on.

killxswitch
11-05-2009, 02:21 PM
Most "normal" people I talk to think things like this are stupid and not at all a big deal. Look at the response this topic has gotten here. It's not like this is Scott Wright's Redneck Klan Member Draftnik Forum. But none of us care and are more annoyed that the media is blowing this up like a big deal.

I don't think these people are really even offended. I think people like to have someone to pile on and judge. These people actually like racism in a way because it gives them that feeling they're after when they find someone to tar and feather. No different than the people that threw rotten food at people in the stocks or cheered for hangings back in the day. Just a different time period.

dabears10
11-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Sensitive people write letters. Execs overreact, apologies are made.

Rosebud
11-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Sensitive people write letters. Execs overreact, apologies are made.

And everyone suffers.

sbh15
11-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I just saw that for this first time, and it's funny as ****.

2 Live Crew
11-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Good lord I love Gus Johnson...Check his call of Gonzaga vs UCLA (basketball)...freaking hilarious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgeqrYxu_YM

Go_Eagles77
11-05-2009, 03:32 PM
Gus is the man.

vidae
11-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Morgan Freeman rules and there was nothing wrong with the original clip by Gus Johnson. People need to get over themselves.

Staubach12
11-05-2009, 04:27 PM
Here's the deal: NO ONE was upset by that comment. There may be some here and there, but on the whole, most every normal person was not offended. This is in the news because people like to hear about controversy. This is a made up fake unauthentic forged falsified counterfeit artificial phony fraudulent bogus controversy.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Here's the deal: NO ONE was upset by that comment. There may be some here and there, but on the whole, most every normal person was not offended. This is in the news because people like to hear about controversy. This is a made up fake unauthentic forged falsified counterfeit artificial phony fraudulent bogus controversy.

So does this mean we are the racist for assuming people would get mad over this?

Flyboy
11-05-2009, 04:31 PM
LMAO. Oh, Gus Johnson. I love you. You're the f'n man.

Staubach12
11-05-2009, 04:48 PM
So does this mean we are the racist for assuming people would get mad over this?

I don't think anyone legitimately thought anyone would be offended. But saying people are offended makes better news than an injury report and an update on who's leading the MVP race.

ElectricEye
11-05-2009, 05:23 PM
Gus Johnson is amazing. One of my favorite sportscasters. The call was hilarious and yeah, I'll go with everyone else and say it's ridiculous people are THAT sensitive.

Oh, and Freeman pretty much raped Mike Wallace.

BlindSite
11-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Roger Goodell doesn't care about black people.

CJSchneider
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
FO214IFRW1M

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Morgan Freeman again.

Xonraider
11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
Whoever is offended by this is simply a sentimental homosexual, period.

FUNBUNCHER
11-05-2009, 09:35 PM
Whatever you think about the comment, racist or not, ( I doubt Johnson meant it in a way to reflect any bigotry on his part), if a white broadcaster had made the same comment, there's a good chance he would have been suspended indefinitely.
Comments that x-player is 'running like he stole something' or 'he has getting away from cops speed' really don't need to be said during a football game broadcast because of the negative stereotype that it reinforces - Black folks are criminal minded. And hard to catch in full sprint.
My only issue is that when a commentator makes an off-color comment, the reflex next step shouldn't be to fire someone.

Like Bob Griese and the taco comment he recently made about a South American NASCAR driver, I've heard his career is in jeopardy for that statement, when in my heart I don't for a second believe he has a racist bone in his body.

Honestly, I think it's a generational thing. For individuals born after 1979, their threshold for what's considered racist is MUCH higher than it is for older people.

The Unseen
11-05-2009, 09:52 PM
FO214IFRW1M

Eh, Black History month serves more than saying "hey guys let's talk about black people," it honors those people who fought against racism.

That being said, I am firmly in his school of thought. Don't like categorization? Don't categorize.

Rosebud
11-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Whatever you think about the comment, racist or not, ( I doubt Johnson meant it in a way to reflect any bigotry on his part), if a white broadcaster had made the same comment, there's a good chance he would have been suspended indefinitely.
Comments that x-player is 'running like he stole something' or 'he has getting away from cops speed' really don't need to be said during a football game broadcast because of the negative stereotype that it reinforces - Black folks are criminal minded. And hard to catch in full sprint.
My only issue is that when a commentator makes an off-color comment, the reflex next step shouldn't be to fire someone.

Like Bob Griese and the taco comment he recently made about a South American NASCAR driver, I've heard his career is in jeopardy for that statement, when in my heart I don't for a second believe he has a racist bone in his body.

Honestly, I think it's a generational thing. For individuals born after 1979, their threshold for what's considered racist is MUCH higher than it is for older people.

It's a known fact that people of all races run faster when running from the police or in possession of stolen property. That is not a racial comment in any way.

Brown Leader
11-05-2009, 11:15 PM
Given the disproportionate number of African Americans incarcerated and the complicated reasons why that is, a comment like this is guaranteed to raise eyebrows.

Funny or not, just anything can't be said. Reminds me of the no celebrate rules in the end zone. Some of that **** was funny, others stupid. Gus is good but some other dumb **** will say some off the wall ****

Bengalsrocket
11-05-2009, 11:25 PM
Eh, Black History month serves more than saying "hey guys let's talk about black people," it honors those people who fought against racism.

That being said, I am firmly in his school of thought. Don't like categorization? Don't categorize.

Good point. Black History Month isn't just about celebrating the history of black people, it's about celebrating the lives of those who fought for equal rights for black people. "Black Equal Rights Activists Month" probably was just to big though :P

I still like the clip, and he's right. We shouldn't need a month to remember the great minds & heroes of our past and it's a little silly for us to dissect one culture's history into a single month.

Staubach12
11-05-2009, 11:31 PM
It's a known fact that people of all races run faster when running from the police or in possession of stolen property. That is not a racial comment in any way.

Exactly. You will NEVER run faster than you will with blue lights at your back. That's true for me, and I'm a little white kid. That's true for my black roommate. That's true for the Mexican down the hall, the Asian downstairs, and the eskimo in the apartments across the way.

NIN1984
11-06-2009, 12:40 AM
Gus Johnson is awesome. I wish he would do the commentary in Madden.

CC.SD
11-06-2009, 01:15 AM
Chris Johnson could outrun cops on motorcycles.

Brent
11-06-2009, 02:18 AM
Chris Johnson could outrun cops on motorcycles.
Chris Johnson is so fast, when he turns off the lights, he is in bed before the room is dark.

niel89
11-06-2009, 02:31 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast, when he turns off the lights, he is in bed before the room is dark.

Chris Johnson is so fast, He could run through a hurricane and not get wet.

Rosebud
11-06-2009, 02:44 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast, He could run through a hurricane and not get wet.

Liar, Chris Johnson is so fast, he makes the hurricane wet.

Bengalsrocket
11-06-2009, 04:26 AM
Liar, Chris Johnson is so fast, he makes the hurricane wet.

Chris Johnson is so fast, he makes fast people look... not fast.

Gay Ork Wang
11-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Gus needs to do the superbowl

OzTitan
11-06-2009, 05:10 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast, his ass has its own zip code.

Am i doing it rite?

roscoesdad27
11-06-2009, 05:54 AM
Given the disproportionate number of African Americans incarcerated and the complicated reasons why that is, a comment like this is guaranteed to raise eyebrows.

the status quo makes it that way so they can hide behind the real reasons...90% of blacks are in jail as a direct result of the so called "war on drugs", whist the border and gateway to the largest heion and cocaine fields in the world are wide open to the tune of over 13 million illegal mexicans....the powerful lawyer cartels and prison systems are laughing all the way to the bank, it's a way of funneling the wealth from the poor and middle classes to the rich...a scam that encourages us to be hush about talking about it hiding behind the p.c. mirage....wathc this thread get locked now as case in point een thou nothing i said was racist in any way what-so-ever....we will never get to the bottom of why because free speech is being discouraged....quite simply they dont want anybody even bringing it up because they're afraid of what might happen if westrt asking real questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b6kf5PIzX4

"to suppress a revolution, a premeditated scheme
they introduced a drug called crack to us ghetto teens"....tupac

"i blame reagn for makin me ino a monster, i blame oliver north and iran contra
iran contra ban that they sponsored, before this rhyming stuff we was in concert"...jay z

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvFYCky0muY
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT!

Bucs_Rule
11-06-2009, 06:42 AM
It never occurred to me that is statement could be considered racist.

roscoesdad27
11-06-2009, 06:44 AM
It never occurred to me that is statement could be considered racist.

i shouldnt be and it isnt but the status quo would like for us to think that it is so that the real issues will never be brought up.

abaddon41_80
11-06-2009, 07:29 AM
I didn't even know people were getting mad at this. I was watching the game with 2 black guys and we all cracked up when he said it.

Unbiased
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
"My name's Al Harrington. I get buckets."

Thank God for Gus Johnson.

I understand why this is an issue, but it shouldn't be.

Brent
11-06-2009, 09:42 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast, he makes fast people look... not fast.
Chris Johnson is so fast, he runs a low 40 time.

AlexDown
11-06-2009, 09:53 AM
I laughed but....

I would never say that on television. I mean, I think he forget for a second he was broadcasting... seemed like he was really into it.

Splat
11-06-2009, 10:00 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast that while today is Friday for the rest of the world its all ready Saturday for him.

Brothgar
11-06-2009, 10:07 AM
Chris Johnson is so fast he dodged a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick.

themaninblack
11-06-2009, 10:22 AM
I think I remember Gus saying something like this during a Bengals game this season.

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 10:50 AM
This is a non issue.

Chris Johnson is so fast, that he once got stopped for speeding during a morning jog.

no bare feet
11-06-2009, 11:01 AM
E=M(Chris Johnson*ChrisJohnson)

I do not know how to make the little 2 to indicate squared.

Xonraider
11-06-2009, 11:17 AM
E=M(Chris Johnson*ChrisJohnson)

I do not know how to make the little 2 to indicate squared.

Actually, E = mc^2

Brothgar
11-06-2009, 11:21 AM
I think I remember Gus saying something like this during a Bengals game this season.

That would have been hilarious.

ElectricEye
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM

Too bad most of the Bengals lack gettin away from the cops speed, especially Chris Henry.

Cheap, but it's hard to resist.

themaninblack
11-06-2009, 12:48 PM
Sick burn. Cincinnati cops are quick man.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Yes, they are. It aggravates me to no end. I'm going to stop there, though. I've gotta refrain myself from going off.

That's the current world we live in. It's not freedom of speech anymore. It's freedom of speech, except if it offends anyone. Then you have to change your comments, explain yourself, and if all else fails, say you're sorry, and/or quit your job.

FUNBUNCHER
11-07-2009, 01:10 AM
That's the current world we live in. It's not freedom of speech anymore. It's freedom of speech, except if it offends anyone. Then you have to change your comments, explain yourself, and if all else fails, say you're sorry, and/or quit your job.

What are you talking about? You have a right to say whatever you want whenever you want, but you don't have the freedom not to be held accountable for the words that come out of your mouth.

If the major TV networks and the NCAA are your employers, then you're limited in what you can say over the air about a player. Simple.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-07-2009, 01:22 AM

Yeah! How dare people be held accountable for things they say!