11-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Re-sign Joe Mauer please.

fischbowl
11-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Re-sign Joe Mauer please.

I can see a little hometown discount coming Bill Smith's way

dabears10
11-05-2009, 01:46 PM
I want the Cubs to try to get rid of as many bad contracts as possible. I don't see many that are possible. :(

fischbowl
11-05-2009, 01:49 PM
I want the Cubs to try to get rid of as many bad contracts as possible. I don't see many that are possible. :(

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/01/24/brushback.cubs/hendry.jpg

Jim Hendry! **** Yeah!

dabears10
11-05-2009, 01:51 PM
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/scorecard/01/24/brushback.cubs/hendry.jpg

Jim Hendry! **** Yeah!

Yes, I want the Ricketts to get rid of this fucknut.

T-RICH49
11-05-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd really like to know WTF is going on with the Teahen to the White Sox rumors.Fist I hear it's done, then later I hear they're not that far along in talks, then again I hear it's confirmed and once again I hear there is no deal

fischbowl
11-05-2009, 02:13 PM
I'd really like to know WTF is going on with the Teahen to the White Sox rumors.Fist I hear it's done, then later I hear they're not that far along in talks, then again I hear it's confirmed and once again I hear there is no deal

BtB has posted it I assume it's done. If so, fantastic job KC

Todd Bertuzzi
11-05-2009, 02:28 PM
Let the post Riccardi era begin!

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 03:11 PM
I expect the Red Sox to win this offseason in terms of signings.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-05-2009, 03:12 PM
Welp, Goodbye Carl. :(

T-RICH49
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM

is he asking for too much?

Tampa 2 4 life
11-05-2009, 03:23 PM
is he asking for too much?

I'm sure he wants to stay, but he could make 12 mil + per year as a FA, and we can't pay him that.

Borat
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM

Whoa. Explain please.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Whoa. Explain please.

I feel like I made a mistake saying that anything is imminent. But it probably will happen eventually.

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 03:46 PM
If Crawford is really available I'm ld give up a ton to get him. Minaya is probably in love with Crawford and the idea of Reyes and Crawford at the top of the lineup makes me drool.

Hurricanes25
11-05-2009, 03:50 PM
The Angels resigned Abreu. 2 years, $19 million.

Borat
11-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I want Crawford in SF so damn badly.

Hurricanes25
11-05-2009, 03:57 PM
I want Crawford on the Yankees. Am I being greedy?

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 04:05 PM
I want Crawford on the Yankees. Am I being greedy?

Do you really need to ask?

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 04:06 PM
I want Crawford in SF so damn badly.

Posey for Crawford? Would you do it?

Hurricanes25
11-05-2009, 04:07 PM
Do you really need to ask?

Haha, I guess not.

Borat
11-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Posey for Crawford? Would you do it?

No .........

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 04:17 PM
No .........

Well then you don't want him that bad. :)

Borat
11-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Well then you don't want him that bad. :)

Well, yeah. But I'm not a buffoon named Sabean. So, I guess Bumgarner + Posey for Crawford should happen any day now.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-05-2009, 04:41 PM
According to Juan C. Rodriguez of The Sun Sentinel, the Red Sox have acquired Jeremy Hermida from the Marlins in exchange for minor league pitchers Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez.

I don't like this at all for the Sox. Hermida is a butcher, and can't really hit in the NL, so a transition to the AL(Possibly as a DH where players lose offensive production) for two mediocre-ish prospects seems useless.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-05-2009, 04:44 PM
I can't wait. Bengie Molina and Jason Marquis getting contracts they don't deserve, counting on Daniel Murphy and Jeff Francouer. Damn, Omar's a stud.

djp
11-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Time to gloat about your team's prospects! Top 5 plz

For the first time in awhile, I'm really excited about the talent in the Twins' system. It's not completely where it needs to be but I give props to the team for taking Gibson with a chance he wouldn't sign and splurging for Sano. This system needs star power and Sano can possibly give it to them.

1. Aaron Hicks, OF - His ceiling is through the roof. Shown some pretty good plate discipline this year, still developing. 5 tool player. Reminds scouts of Carlos Beltran offensively. We can only hope he can be as good in the field as Beltran. His arm rates an 80 on the 20-80 scale. Ichiro/Ankiel/Vlad in his 20's esque. I won't go as far as to say his howitzer is that of Raul Mondesi's, but god damn its a cannon.

2. Kyle Gibson, SP - Guy's a top 10 lock without the forearm stress fracture. He has a bright future ahead of him. May not ever be a true No. 1 ace, but there aren't many of those.

3. Miguel Angel Sano, OF - Great bat w/ raw power, great athlete, terrible defensive player as of now. He is currently a SS but I don't think anyone expects him to stay there. It would be great if he did, though.

4. Wilson Ramos, C - Great defensive catcher with a lot of pop to him. Needs to draw some ******* walks once in awhile. Trade bait??

5. Ben Revere, OF/2B - I am still convinced that this kids gonna be a 2nd basemen. He has a Damon/Shannon Stewart type of arm. Plus plus baserunner and contact hitter, decent plate discipline. Twins Minor Leaguer of the Year for the 2nd straight season.

6. Chris Parmelee, 1B/OF - Loads of power and a good eye, but not much else. Screams Kubel to me.

7. David Bromberg, SP

8. Carlos Gutierrez, SP

9. Danny Valencia, 3B

10. Deolis Guerra, SP

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 07:13 PM
1. Casey Crosby
2. Alex Avila
3. Jacob Turner
4. Andrew Oliver
5. Scott Sizemore

This farm system is barren.

sbh15
11-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Sox acquire Jeremy Hermida for Hunter Jones and Jose Alvarez. Can you say World Series?

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/news/story?id=4627147

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 07:23 PM
Carl Crawford for Dusty Ryan sounds good.

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 07:26 PM
GO TexaZzzzzzZZZ RangerZzzzzZZZZZZ!!!!!

Offseason Goal: Find a new Butt Rich Owner willing to spew cash out of his butt.

MetSox17
11-05-2009, 07:36 PM
Offseason Goal: Find a new Butt Rich Owner willing to spew cash out of his butt.

Mark Cuban?

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Selig doesn't want Cuban as a MLB owner.

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 07:39 PM
GO TexaZzzzzzZZZ RangerZzzzzZZZZZZ!!!!!

The Rangers don't need to spend big money really, unless they wanted a Ben Sheets type to go alongside Milwood (who will go back to being mediocre again)-Holland-Feliz-Feldman.

Giantsfan1080
11-05-2009, 07:40 PM
Sheets would be a good sign for the Rangers. Have you heard what he's asking for?

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 07:59 PM
The Rangers don't need to spend big money really, unless they wanted a Ben Sheets type to go alongside Milwood (who will go back to being mediocre again)-Holland-Feliz-Feldman.
I have doubts about Feliz ever making out of the pen.

Millwood has always been mediocre for us. I'm glad we got rid of Vincente Padilla. Unfortunately the Dodgers learned the hard way, NOT to grab pitchers thrown to the curb by the Rangers.

Much talk about the Yankees 4 last night... Posada, Jeter, Rivera and Pettite. The guys who represented the meaning of being a Yankee. Yankee Lifers. Who are your teams' Fab 4 who represent everything about your team's make up and were brought up through your system?

Rangers: Michael Young, Pudge Rodriguez, Hank Blalock, and Ian Kinsler.

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 08:04 PM
Feliz can definitely make it out of the pen and there's no reason to think otherwise.

D-Unit
11-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Feliz can definitely make it out of the pen and there's no reason to think otherwise.
Jonathan Papelbon never did...

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Jonathan Papelbon never did...

He never threw 130 innings in a minor league season and was 24 by the time he reached the majors. The Rangers handled him absolutely horribly in the minors this season but he's a starter going forward.

aNYtitan
11-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Lets see, my team just won a world series title and if i needed to think about FA, its sure as hell not going to be now.

Probably here is the wish list.
Resign Damon, sorry matsui no place to put you
Pettite retires on top
You straighten out Hughes and Chamberlain and make sure they are ready to pitch the entire season (especially with Joba, who better have some offseason plan put together)
Sign Chapman and tell him to work on his stuff in the minors, probably not more too much cause if so then GTFO.
Convince Yusei Kikuch that he wants to pitch in the States, and for the Yanks.
Start saving up the dollars for Joe Mauer...sorry I couldn't help myself on that one.

Top 5 prospects at the time.
1. Jesus Montero - Has a great chance to see time next year, probably during the second half of the season
2. Austin Jackson - depends on what happens with Melky
3. Zach McCallister - probably a spot starter if someone goes down with injury
4. Mark Melancon - good chance to start off the season with us, considering only locks for the bullpen at the moment are Rivera, Roberston, Marte and Coke
5. Austin Romine - Stays down in the minors for at least another season

Also got to throw in Ian Kennedy, who is coming back from an anyurism, and has done well the last I checked in the AFL, no more prospect status.
That's all I got right now.

KCJ58
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
as for the Dodgers, we need an Ace, badly, I wonder who we can land knowing that our team isnt that abd and is clearly the 2nd best team in the NL, we just need to build our roster like the Phillies, pulling the trigger on our minor league guys to go and get Ace's on losing teams. as far a bad, it looks like Manny will be back, but i dont know about O-Dog, who do we go at 2B, Belliard, Hudson, DeWitt? many question this looks like it will be an intresting off season, we could be seeing some big deals happening, I'm looking forward to it all

Brodeur
11-05-2009, 10:14 PM
The Dodgers have a legitimate ace in Kershaw and Billingsley is a good number 2 if he doesn't continue his implosion. Kuroda's also a good number 3, so honestly the Dodgers are perfectly fine.

Damix
11-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Lets see, my team just won a world series title and if i needed to think about FA, its sure as hell not going to be now.

Probably here is the wish list.
Resign Damon, sorry matsui no place to put you
Pettite retires on top
You straighten out Hughes and Chamberlain and make sure they are ready to pitch the entire season (especially with Joba, who better have some offseason plan put together)
Sign Chapman and tell him to work on his stuff in the minors, probably not more too much cause if so then GTFO.
Convince Yusei Kikuch that he wants to pitch in the States, and for the Yanks.
Start saving up the dollars for Joe Mauer...sorry I couldn't help myself on that one.

Top 5 prospects at the time.
1. Jesus Montero - Has a great chance to see time next year, probably during the second half of the season
2. Austin Jackson - depends on what happens with Melky
3. Zach McCallister - probably a spot starter if someone goes down with injury
4. Mark Melancon - good chance to start off the season with us, considering only locks for the bullpen at the moment are Rivera, Roberston, Marte and Coke
5. Austin Romine - Stays down in the minors for at least another season

Also got to throw in Ian Kennedy, who is coming back from an anyurism, and has done well the last I checked in the AFL, no more prospect status.
That's all I got right now.

I agree with a decent amount of this. A few differences. Sign Damon to be primary DH, someone good in the field would make this team a lot better. Isn't Endy Chavez a FA? He wouldn't be a bad player there, no reason for a huge bat, play something like 80 games out there. Keeps Damon fresher and provides a big upgrade in D. I keep the Gardner/Melky combo in CF, A-Jax only up in September, he needs at least another year.

If that doesn't happen I'd wait the FA market out a pick up a part time DH for cheap. The market will be flooded with them, you can get a Abreu type deal (1 yr, low commitment).

As for the bullpen and rotation, I think Pettitte is back for another year. Joba and Hughes in the rotation. It is risky, as we got burned before trusting 2 young pitchers in the rotation. I like Sheets as a gamble player. Nova, Kennedy, McAllister, Hirsch in AAA

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 10:59 AM
I have doubts about Feliz ever making out of the pen.

Millwood has always been mediocre for us. I'm glad we got rid of Vincente Padilla. Unfortunately the Dodgers learned the hard way, NOT to grab pitchers thrown to the curb by the Rangers.

Much talk about the Yankees 4 last night... Posada, Jeter, Rivera and Pettite. The guys who represented the meaning of being a Yankee. Yankee Lifers. Who are your teams' Fab 4 who represent everything about your team's make up and were brought up through your system?

Rangers: Michael Young, Pudge Rodriguez, Hank Blalock, and Ian Kinsler.

For the Phillies, I'd have to go with Chase Utley, Cole Hamels, Ryan Howard, and Jimmy Rollins.

no bare feet
11-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Are the JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez rumors true?

drowe
11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Are the JJ Hardy for Carlos Gomez rumors true?

yeah. done deal. Doug Melvin just discussed it.

I approve. gonna be a change in philosophy. Hardy and Cameron will be gone ....both 20HR guys..and Escobar and Gomez, both speedsters will take their place.

T-RICH49
11-06-2009, 12:24 PM
ok NOW we have confirmation on the Teahen

ccB
11-06-2009, 12:46 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/192510/149002_Orioles_Yankees_Baseball.jpg

Just take a second to recognize the sexiness that is bleeding out of this picture

O's top prospects (sans Chris Tillman who I believe outplayed the prospect tag)

1. Brian Matusz (still technically a prospect)
2. Zach Britton
3. Jake Arrieta
4. Josh Bell (<3)
5. Brandon Snyder

Honorable Mention: Erbe, Hobgood, Josephy, Waring, Coffey,

M.O.T.H.
11-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Braves top prospects:

1. OF Jason Heyward
2. 1B Freddie Freeman
3. SP Julio Teheren
4. CP Craig Kimbrel
5. SP Randall Delgado

Outside looking in...

SP Mike Minor, SP Zeke Spruill, C Christian Bethancourt, SP Brett Devall, SP J.J. Hoover.

T-RICH49
11-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Royals Top Prospects:

1. Mike Moustakas
2. Eric Hosmer
3. Wil Myers
4. Mike Montgomery
5. Aaron Crow

SuperKevin
11-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Royals Top Prospects:

1. Mike Moustakas
2. Eric Hosmer
3. Wil Myers
4. Mike Montgomery
5. Aaron Crow

I have a baseball signed by Moustakas and Hosmer

djp
11-06-2009, 03:12 PM
yeah. done deal. Doug Melvin just discussed it.

I approve. gonna be a change in philosophy. Hardy and Cameron will be gone ....both 20HR guys..and Escobar and Gomez, both speedsters will take their place.

I will miss Gomez' defense, he's got the chance to evolve into the league's best outfield defender, not that he's not already really good there, but his bat will prevent him from being anything than a journeyman. He can be a role player on a great team, though.

Fresh starts for both guys, let's hope for the best.

T-RICH49
11-06-2009, 03:34 PM
I will miss Gomez' defense, he's got the chance to evolve into the league's best outfield defender, not that he's not already really good there, but his bat will prevent him from being anything than a journeyman. He can be a role player on a great team, though.

Fresh starts for both guys, let's hope for the best.

is Span gonna be your CF now?

yodabear
11-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Trade between the Twins and Brewers seems to work for both sides.

Twins have Span, Kubel, Young, and Cuddyer, so Gomez was expendable, and the Brewers will lose Cameron and seem to not even want him back, so good move for them. Twins in all likely hood won't get Cabrera back, plus Hardy is an upgrade over Cabrera defensively. And the Crew have Alcides Escobar who was clearly the future shortstop in Milwaukee. So the trade seems to make a lot of sense.

Anyway, changing to a team I know a little more about, I hope the Cards can get Holliday back. Not too optimistic about that cuz we'll be in a bidding war with the New York teams among others. And Duncan will hopefully be back as pitching coach.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-06-2009, 05:35 PM
1. Desmond Jennings
2. Jeremy Hellickson
3. Wade Davis
4. Matt Moore
5. Reid Brignac

Brodeur
11-06-2009, 05:55 PM
1. Desmond Jennings
2. Jeremy Hellickson
3. Wade Davis
4. Matt Moore
5. Reid Brignac

Needs more Wade Townsend.

D-Unit
11-06-2009, 06:55 PM
Somebody post the Rangers Top Prospects. Not sure the ranking now that Holland, Feliz, and Borbon are apart of the big league club. Smoak then what order??? Are we ready for some Kasey Kiker action?

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 06:59 PM
Brett Myers won't return to the Phillies in 2010.
Cliff Lee's option was picked up.

My biggest wish for the Phillies this offseason is to not re-sign Pedro Feliz and bring in Chone Figgins. Crossing my fingers.

D-Unit
11-06-2009, 07:12 PM
Brett Myers won't return to the Phillies in 2010.
Cliff Lee's option was picked up.

My biggest wish for the Phillies this offseason is to not re-sign Pedro Feliz and bring in Chone Figgins. Crossing my fingers.
Your run is over. At least you had a chance to enjoy it and you got a ring.

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Your run is over. At least you had a chance to enjoy it and you got a ring.

And that's your opinion but I don't think we're even close to done. I'm not saying we're going to win the NL every year for the next 5 but to say we're done couldn't be further from the truth.

D-Unit
11-06-2009, 07:42 PM
And that's your opinion but I don't think we're even close to done. I'm not saying we're going to win the NL every year for the next 5 but to say we're done couldn't be further from the truth.
Oh you'll still be highly competitive, fun to watch and fun to cheer for. But nah... no more rings.

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 08:07 PM
Oh you'll still be highly competitive, fun to watch and fun to cheer for. But nah... no more rings.

What else do you have Nostradamus Jr.?

MidwayMonster31
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
With that lineup and a few good moves in the pen, the Phillies will be back. Florida and Atlanta will make things interesting, but now the Phils will have Lee for a full season. The Mets will be better with fewer injuries, but I don't see them contending.

Borat
11-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Somebody post the Rangers Top Prospects. Not sure the ranking now that Holland, Feliz, and Borbon are apart of the big league club. Smoak then what order??? Are we ready for some Kasey Kiker action?

DU, I think Feliz still has eligibility as a prospect, so here ya go:

1. Neftali Feliz
2. Martin Perez
3. Justin Smoak
4. Michael Main
5. Robbie Ross or Tanner Scheppers

Honorable mention: Font, Kiker, Ramirez, Beaven and Poveda (but I'm hoping Engel Beltre jumps up into this top 10).

Brodeur
11-06-2009, 08:29 PM
With that lineup and a few good moves in the pen, the Phillies will be back. Florida and Atlanta will make things interesting, but now the Phils will have Lee for a full season. The Mets will be better with fewer injuries, but I don't see them contending.

The rotation is too weak to contend unless they make some swift deals. Their offense and defense is still very good so maybe they can make Blanton and Happ look better than they really are but not for too long.

yo123
11-06-2009, 08:50 PM
is Span gonna be your CF now?

He already was last year, Gomez didn't really get a lot of playing time. Mostly a defensive replacement.

aNYtitan
11-06-2009, 11:26 PM
I agree with a decent amount of this. A few differences. Sign Damon to be primary DH, someone good in the field would make this team a lot better. Isn't Endy Chavez a FA? He wouldn't be a bad player there, no reason for a huge bat, play something like 80 games out there. Keeps Damon fresher and provides a big upgrade in D. I keep the Gardner/Melky combo in CF, A-Jax only up in September, he needs at least another year.
There is no way Endy Chavez winds up playing in Yankee Stadium other then on an opposing team or while playing a video game. If we want to sign a part time DH, bring back Matsui. He didn't have a bad year, he had a pretty good one actually. If only he still had his knees

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 11:48 PM
Raul Ibanez or Pat Burrell? One year later.

Brodeur
11-06-2009, 11:49 PM
Pat Burrell is a piece of **** and Raul Ibanez is headed for a steep decline next year. Pick your poison.

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 11:50 PM
Pat Burrell is a piece of **** and Raul Ibanez is headed for a steep decline next year. Pick your poison.

I'll take the guy who hasn't yet hit rock bottom over the one that has.

fischbowl
11-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I'll find sometime tomorrow to complain about all your top prospect lists

tjsunstein
11-07-2009, 12:01 AM

Rank the Phillies while you're at it? Interested to see how you have them down.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Mets

1. SP Jennry Mejia
2. OF Fernando Martinez
3. 1B/OF Ike Davis
4. SS Wilmer Flores
5. SP Brad Holt

3 and 4 are a toss up to me. I'm still not completely sold on Ike Davis being anything more than a solid hitter.

Borat
11-07-2009, 12:10 PM

HAHA. You'll get to them after those draft reviews we're still waiting for ;)

Giantsfan1080
11-07-2009, 12:27 PM
The BA Top 10 Mets prospect list that they just put out is terrible. I don't know why they let a Mets beat writer do our list especially after what happened with him this year.

Giantsfan1080
11-07-2009, 12:35 PM
The Dodgers picks up the $20 million option on Manny and the Twins picked up the $10.5 million option on Mike Cuddyer.

Brodeur
11-07-2009, 03:10 PM
The BA Top 10 Mets prospect list that they just put out is terrible. I don't know why they let a Mets beat writer do our list especially after what happened with him this year.

I know that Flores was very young for his level and had an average defensive year, but his offense was brutal. No way should he be above F-Mart.

Giantsfan1080
11-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I know that Flores was very young for his level and had an average defensive year, but his offense was brutal. No way should he be above F-Mart.

I agree and he still does have tons of potential but I have him at 4 on my list. I'd have Mejia, Martinez, and Davis all ahead of Flores right now. Urbina is also not even close to being our top 10.

Giantsfan1080
11-07-2009, 03:39 PM
The Cuddyer option is actually for 2011 and not 2010.

Brodeur
11-07-2009, 03:41 PM
Bit much for a DH for a small market team.

Giantsfan1080
11-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Bit much for a DH for a small market team.

Yeah plus it's not even for next year. What happens if Cuddyer takes a dive next year then they're really on the hook.

yo123
11-07-2009, 07:44 PM
The Cuddyer deal was obviously going to happen. If he can keep up his offensive performance next year I'm all for it. But something tells me that was his career year.

Jughead10
11-08-2009, 10:17 AM
The Cuddyer deal was obviously going to happen. If he can keep up his offensive performance next year I'm all for it. But something tells me that was his career year.

Of course you had to pick it up. And if he doesn't live up the money in 2011 you could always dump the salary on a bigger payroll team who will overpay him to add an extra piece midseason.

cvv84
11-08-2009, 11:37 AM
Trade between the Twins and Brewers seems to work for both sides.

Twins have Span, Kubel, Young, and Cuddyer, so Gomez was expendable, and the Brewers will lose Cameron and seem to not even want him back, so good move for them. Twins in all likely hood won't get Cabrera back, plus Hardy is an upgrade over Cabrera defensively. And the Crew have Alcides Escobar who was clearly the future shortstop in Milwaukee. So the trade seems to make a lot of sense.

Anyway, changing to a team I know a little more about, I hope the Cards can get Holliday back. Not too optimistic about that cuz we'll be in a bidding war with the New York teams among others. And Duncan will hopefully be back as pitching coach.

It was a good deal for both teams but the Twins got the better of the deal in personel. Hardy is a former all star who has 25 HR potential and is coming off a down year where the Brewers sent him down to delay his free agency another year.

For the Brewers it was alot about money. Cameron would have made $10 million+ and Hardy is going to get around $5 million during arbitration. Escobar and Gomez's salary combined doesn't even add up to $1 million so the Brewers can use that money towards pitching or try for a Fielder exention.

The trade made sense but I wish we got a more proven player or pitcher for Hardy.

Brodeur
11-08-2009, 02:33 PM
The Twins outfield defense is going to be sooooooooo bad.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-08-2009, 09:06 PM
If the Marlins are moving Uggla, that's something the Mets need to be in on. And the Phillies wanting to get Beltre pains me, since he'd be an awesome fit.

JRTPlaya21
11-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Braves signed Scott Proctor to a Minor League deal.

Hurricanes25
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Braves signed Scott Proctor to a Minor League deal.

It's a shame that guy has had a lot of injury problems because he had a lot of potential. I loved him when he was a Yankee.

aNYtitan
11-08-2009, 10:49 PM
If the Marlins are moving Uggla, that's something the Mets need to be in on. And the Phillies wanting to get Beltre pains me, since he'd be an awesome fit.

And who exactly would the Mets trade to get him?

yodabear
11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
It was a good deal for both teams but the Twins got the better of the deal in personel. Hardy is a former all star who has 25 HR potential and is coming off a down year where the Brewers sent him down to delay his free agency another year.

For the Brewers it was alot about money. Cameron would have made $10 million+ and Hardy is going to get around $5 million during arbitration. Escobar and Gomez's salary combined doesn't even add up to $1 million so the Brewers can use that money towards pitching or try for a Fielder exention.

The trade made sense but I wish we got a more proven player or pitcher for Hardy.

Oh yeah, I agree. If I was a Brewer fan, I woulda hoped for a pitcher rather than a position player for Hardy cuz right now Jeff Suppan is prolly still a starter on ur team. But I did read that Melvin thought Gomez was the best player other teams were offering for Hardy. But ya, the trade made sense, but so prolly did the Hershel Walker trade at the time.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Where are Roy Halladay, John Lackey, and Javier Vasquez landing? Any guesses? I'd love for the Phils to get any of the three but that's a pipe dream.

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 12:03 PM
Javy Vazquez is still under contract. Now, we may stupidly shop him for a bat but, he's ours right now.

I did hear a Vazquez for Nelson Cruz plus, trade rumor.

Jughead10
11-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Where are Roy Halladay, John Lackey, and Javier Vasquez landing? Any guesses? I'd love for the Phils to get any of the three but that's a pipe dream.

MLB Trade rumors put out there guesses for their top 50 free agents. They have Lackey listed at #2 and going to the Yankees. I'm not sure about that.

I think Halladay gets traded. The new GM in Toronto has to start from scratch. No reason to hold onto Halladay and lose him going into his second year as GM. Trade him now for prospects that are going to help you when you hopefully start getting better.

Giantsfan1080
11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Halladay will definitely get dealt. I also think King Felix is also but I have no idea why the Mariners would do that.

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 01:07 PM
I just hope we re-sign Laroche.

As for Nelson Cruz, he's exactly what we need, a right handed, power bat that plays a corner outfield position. I just dont want to give up Vazquez for him. But re-signing Laroche, adding Cruz, and calling up Heyward sure sounds good for a lineup that lacked a lot of pop.

Cruz would need to be moved to left, though. Dont know how well that would go. And who knows if he was just a one year wonder type? Kind of the same situation with Mclouth when we got him.

Brodeur
11-09-2009, 02:27 PM
Javy Vazquez wouldn't really fetch the plus part of the Nelson Cruz deal. He's an excellent defensive outfielder who really broke out last year and is not a fluke.

Borat
11-09-2009, 03:03 PM
Yeah, I didn't know Cruz was even available. Is that wishful thinking, or have you guys heard he's on the block? I wouldn't deal him for Vazquez if I was Texas. Vazquez is much better in the NL.

SuperKevin
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=4638041

Two more years for Wakefield. He'll be throwing knuckleballs to his grandchildren before he retires

ATLDirtyBirds
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
And who exactly would the Mets trade to get him?

I'm not sure what exactly they will want seeing as if they trade him it's because of money. But if you are implying we don't have minor leaguers that can fetch us Dan Uggla... we do.

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 03:31 PM
There are "rumblings" that the Rangers and Braves have discussed right-hander Javier Vazquez, who is coming off a spectacular 2009 campaign in which he amassed 238 strikeouts to just 44 walks; some rival executives "are convinced" that he will be traded in the coming weeks (Buster Olney, ESPN.com) (http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4634851&type=blogEntry)

The two sides have been discussing potential deals, one which would include first time all-star, right handed outfielder, Nelson Cruz. (Buster Olney, ESPN.com)

"Though [Nelson] Cruz hit 33 homers and was selected to the All-Star Game this past season, the Rangers are looking to sell high because they feel he had a career year" (John Perrotto, Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=9750))

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
MLB trade rumors has the Phillies going Valverde and DeRosa. I could absolutely live with that.

M.O.T.H.
11-10-2009, 10:42 AM
According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Braves may opt to give Vazquez an extension now. ha. Oh how things change in a matter of two days.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 10:53 AM
According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Braves may opt to give Vazquez an extension now. ha. Oh how things change in a matter of two days.

That ruins the Vazquez and filler for Granderson trade :(.

M.O.T.H.
11-10-2009, 11:01 AM
You can have Lowe.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Lowe (paying for part of his contract) and Yuni for Grandy and Cale Iorg works for me.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Why are you looking to get rid of Granderson? His numbers were down this year but only because of his BABIP. All of his other peripherals were around his career averages and his defense is still above average. Seems like you'd be selling low on him. He could easily have a huge bounce back year in 2010.

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM
Why are you looking to get rid of Granderson? His numbers were down this year but only because of his BABIP. All of his other peripherals were around his career averages and his defense is still above average. Seems like you'd be selling low on him. He could easily have a huge bounce back year in 2010.

Let's see him hit a lefty first

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Well, he is just unbelievably bad against lefties and his defense will never be as good as it was 2 years ago. Plus I could live with a split of Clete Thomas and Casper Wells in center.

JFLO
11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
For all of people more knowledgeable of the MLB than I am, what are the chances that Matt Holliday ends up in Boston?

I imagine that St. Louis is the favorite to land him but can Boston shell out enough money to sign him?

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 12:47 PM
For all of people more knowledgeable of the MLB than I am, what are the chances that Matt Holliday ends up in Boston?

I imagine that St. Louis is the favorite to land him but can Boston shell out enough money to sign him?

He's an NL masher through and through, Boston may put out a competitive offer but he'd be stupid to take it

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
He's an NL masher through and through, Boston may put out a competitive offer but he'd be stupid to take it

Not really. He's way way better than Jason Bay and did fine after a ****** April for Oakland.

Hurricanes25
11-10-2009, 01:13 PM

I think there is a good chance he ends up in Boston but from what Im hearing, the Mets will be the front runners.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Granderson has always been terrible against lefties but it still hasn't hurt him when he was having great years in 07 and 08. Just platoon him a little more against them and you'll be fine.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
As Brodeur said Holliday had a slow April but after that his numbers were above average. He's better in every facet of the game compared to Bay plus he's a few years younger.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 01:28 PM
I think there is a good chance he ends up in Boston but from what Im hearing, the Mets will be the front runners.

Where are the Mets going to get the money from after the Madoff disaster?

Hurricanes25
11-10-2009, 01:29 PM

I was just listening to WFAN and they said that it was a myth. Somehow they actually made a profit.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 01:30 PM

Technically we didn't lose any money from the Madoff thing depending on how you want to look at it. The Wilpons actually made a profit from all of it but just not as much as Madoff was telling them. Also, we still have 30 million off the books froms last year so even if we keep the payroll at the same number we still have room to maneuver. Omar needs to get creative though which he has shown the ability to do once in a while.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 01:32 PM
I was just listening to WFAN and they said that it was a myth. Somehow they actually made a profit.

Correct we actually made 50 million. The problem was Madoff was telling them they they were up to 600-700 million. It all depends on if the Wilpons were thinking they had all that money to play with or they were using what they actually had in hand.

T-RICH49
11-10-2009, 02:14 PM
AL Gold Glove Winners:

1B Mark Texiera
2B Placido Polanco
SS Derek Jeter
3B Evan Longoria
OF Ichiro
OF Adam Jones
OF Torii Hunter
C Joe Mauer
P Mark Buerhle

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 02:22 PM
AL Gold Glove Winners:

1B Mark Texiera
2B Placido Polanco
SS Derek Jeter
3B Evan Longoria
OF Ichiro
OF Adam Jones
OF Torii Hunter
C Joe Mauer
P Mark Buerhle

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5215/jericho1.jpg

Great selections of Longoria and Polanco, surprisingly not horrible selection of Jeter, whatever with Ichiro, good enough with Mauer and Buehrle, but the bolded ones, wow. How did Franklin Gutierrez not get one?

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Looks like they did a better job this year than in previous. It's still difficult to quantify defense so whatever. We all know that a GG means nothing.

T-RICH49
11-10-2009, 02:24 PM
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/5215/jericho1.jpg

Great selections of Longoria and Polanco, surprisingly not horrible selection of Jeter, whatever with Ichiro, good enough with Mauer and Buehrle, but the bolded ones, wow. How did Franklin Gutierrez not get one?

DeJesus had a legit case as well

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Looks like they did a better job this year than in previous. It's still difficult to quantify defense so whatever. We all know that a GG means nothing.

Even if UZR isn't the be all end all measurement, FG was ******* robbed.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Even if UZR isn't the be all end all measurement, FG was ******* robbed.

He was but it's not like Jones and Hunter are slouches with the glove. Gutierrez absolutely deserved to get it but half the writers who vote for the GG probably have no idea who he is. Hopefully one day there will be a system that does reward the best but sadly we are not there yet.

Hurricanes25
11-10-2009, 02:36 PM
Gutierrez did get robbed. No other CF was close to him in terms of UZR.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 04:00 PM
He was but it's not like Jones and Hunter are slouches with the glove. Gutierrez absolutely deserved to get it but half the writers who vote for the GG probably have no idea who he is. Hopefully one day there will be a system that does reward the best but sadly we are not there yet.

Hunter is a slouch with the glove.

scottyboy
11-10-2009, 04:22 PM
Dejesus should've gotten a GG dammit

Damix
11-10-2009, 05:12 PM
A user bought up an interesting question on another forum:

How much less do you have to pay in prospects for Halladay if you take Wells contract?

djp
11-10-2009, 05:23 PM
A user bought up an interesting question on another forum:

How much less do you have to pay in prospects for Halladay if you take Wells contract?

A little bit less, but it wouldn't be worth it to take on that terrible piece of garbage Wells.

djp
11-10-2009, 05:24 PM
Hunter is a slouch with the glove.

But he makes diving and leaping catchezzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hunter deserved his first 3-4 GG's but his fielding took a steep downturn a few years before he left Minnesota.

djp
11-10-2009, 05:28 PM
MLB Trade Rumors predicts that the Twins will go after Adrian Beltre, this would make me a very happy man.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 05:41 PM
MLB Trade Rumors predicts that the Twins will go after Adrian Beltre, this would make me a very happy man.
Defensively he's a stud. Batting wise... he did have that great contract year that he did steroids (my guess) to get paid. But after that he's tanked. Seattle is not sad to see him go.

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Defensively he's a stud. Batting wise... he did have that great contract year that he did steroids (my guess) to get paid. But after that he's tanked. Seattle is not sad to see him go.

It was a terrible contract. Sure, it solves the 3B debacle in the Twin Cities, but it may be a huge risk. Not to mention his testicular health problems

djp
11-10-2009, 05:51 PM
It was a terrible contract. Sure, it solves the 3B debacle in the Twin Cities, but it may be a huge risk. Not to mention his testicular health problems

Oh yeah, he's going to get more $$ than he's worth, but it's like that with 98% of FA signings. He's a proven player with superb defense and will put up 20+ HRs and not be a liability with the bat. He's a vastly upgraded version of Crede, someone that's durable as well.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 05:52 PM
So I headed off to MLB rumors to check out stuff on my own. Wow, didn't realize Hank Blalock was a FA. I hope they bring back Marlon Byrd - Type B FA. Happy to see Joaquin Benoit a FA. I'm so tired of seeing him suck.

Too bad Halladay doesn't want to pitch for Texas. They could get some real nice prospects back in return.

Daniels says he'll be active on the trade front. That scares me, but at the same time, he's hit some homeruns.

The Royals have a larger payroll than the Rangers. :/

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 06:00 PM
The Royals have a larger payroll than the Rangers. :/

Given the large contracts handed out to Meche and Guillen, this doesn't surprise me

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 07:03 PM

No it wasn't. The contract was fine and his defense alone was worth it. Plus you have to factor in the fact that right handers are extremely limited in Safeco.

People really underrate Beltre.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 07:32 PM
The system needs to change with how they rate Type A and Type B free agents. I have no idea how Carl Crawford is a Type B FA if the Rays didn't pick up his option. Makes no sense.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 07:33 PM
No it wasn't. The contract was fine and his defense alone was worth it. Plus you have to factor in the fact that right handers are extremely limited in Safeco.

People really underrate Beltre.

I agree. Beltre wasn't the player the Mariners thought they were getting but he actually played extremely well in his time there. I think he'd be a good fit for the Phillies depending on how much he wants on this new deal.

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 07:40 PM
I agree. Beltre wasn't the player the Mariners thought they were getting but he actually played extremely well in his time there. I think he'd be a good fit for the Phillies depending on how much he wants on this new deal.

I wouldn't say extremely well, but I can see you make an argument for "decent". I've always had an unhealthy bias against Beltre for no reason

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 07:42 PM
I wouldn't say extremely well, but I can see you make an argument for "decent". I've always had an unhealthy bias against Beltre for no reason

Yeah I went to far with the extremely well part. I thought his OBP was higher during his time in Seattle but it isn't. With his above average defense I'll say he's decent as well. I still think he would be a good fit for the Phillies though.

ccB
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM

ESPN (I believe) have the O's signing him, I wouldn't be opposed to him replacing Mora and holding down 3B until Josh Bell is ready.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 08:12 PM
ESPN (I believe) have the O's signing him, I wouldn't be opposed to him replacing Mora and holding down 3B until Josh Bell is ready.

O's should sign Beltre and Nick Johnson and trade Luke Scott for some prospects. Put Pie in LF every day and the Orioles offense and defense becomes a serious threat.

Depends on how Matusz/Tillman progress next year but if they are decent enough and Koji Uehera/Brad Bergessen do something they have a not completely awful rotation.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Maybe because he goes on spells where his batting avg hovers around .200 for long periods of time.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Dude, I dunno if that sig is really appropriate. It's borderline.

The Orioles man... they'll never catch a break.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 08:25 PM
What has Sammy Sosa done???

Nov 4, 2009
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1110/mlb_g_sosa02_400.jpg

May 13, 2009
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1110/mlb_g_sosa01_400.jpg

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 08:26 PM
With the money the Orioles have to spend, if they spend it wisely (Beltre, Nick Johnson, hell maybe a Carl Pavano) they'd be in decent enough shape for next year. Of course the AL East is insanity but still.

Giantsfan1080
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Orioles should also maybe go after Harden or Sheets. Might be a good high risk high reward play for them.

dabears10
11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Dude, I dunno if that sig is really appropriate. It's borderline.

The Orioles man... they'll never catch a break.

Yeah, no one wants to see puke. :D

tjsunstein
11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
What freaks you out more? Sammy Sosa or CCB's sig? Go.

Hurricanes25
11-10-2009, 08:48 PM

Sosa freaks me out more. That sig is awesome.

Brodeur
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM

CCB's sig makes me happy in the jiblets.

bored of education
11-10-2009, 08:53 PM
i like when the dog tastes his own puke

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 11:36 PM

Bell will be ready sooner than you think. His AFL numbers are admirable, nice little .869 OPS and a starting nod on the Future Stars team, despite his strikeout numbers being high (14/8 K/BB). I could see him hitting balls on to Eutaw Street by May.

I would imagine Beltre seeking a 2-3 year deal, which will make no sense with the O's in need of only a temporary fix. Remember that we still got Ty Wigginton as well.

O's should sign Beltre and Nick Johnson and trade Luke Scott for some prospects. Put Pie in LF every day and the Orioles offense and defense becomes a serious threat.

Depends on how Matusz/Tillman progress next year but if they are decent enough and Koji Uehera/Brad Bergessen do something they have a not completely awful rotation.

Nolan Reimold has LF covered, unless he fills the DH void left by Scott if we do indeed trade him. Reimold wasn't terrible defensively. I think Pie is best off the bench anyways.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
Apparently Scott Boras wants 3-4 years of "Derek Jeter" money for Johhny Damon. I wonder if that's to get the Yankees involved in Matt Holliday. Why would anyone give Damon 3-4 years of 20 million when you could have Holliday for roughly the same over 6-7 years.

T-RICH49
11-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Sosa by far

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Apparently Scott Boras wants 3-4 years of "Derek Jeter" money for Johhny Damon. I wonder if that's to get the Yankees involved in Matt Holliday. Why would anyone give Damon 3-4 years of 20 million when you could have Holliday for roughly the same over 6-7 years.

Boras asks for the moon for every player.

tjsunstein
11-11-2009, 12:14 PM
Offseason Rumors:

- Tigers will listen for Edwin Jackson

- Lowell to the Phillies?

- Phillies GM Ruben Amaro reaches out to five or six free agents, Fernando Rodney believed to be one.

- The Marlins have been getting trade inquiries about Matt Lindstrom and are considering dealing him. One Marlins official said Leo Nuñez seems better-suited to close games. The Marlins lean toward keeping Jorge Cantu (who has drawn interest) but would consider an extraordinary offer. Dan Uggla remains likely to be dealt.

- The Mariners' initial offer to Branyan included a second-year option, the first baseman told Larry Stone of the Seattle Times. Branyan remains optimistic about re-signing, but he wants two guaranteed years for the first time in his career.

Just some rumblings.

P-L
11-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Boras knows that he's not going to get that. He also wanted 10 years for Mark Tiexiera and five years for Manny Ramirez.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Boras knows that he's not going to get that. He also wanted 10 years for Mark Tiexiera and five years for Manny Ramirez.

10 years for Tex wasn't as crazy as 5 for Manny though. Tex was only 28. He did get 8 years. I know he won't get it, but I think he's doing that to heat up the market for Holliday. He wants to get his top guy signed for as much as he can so everyone can fall in place under him.

Im_a_Romosexual
11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
NL GG

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

C: Yadier Molina, STL
1B: Adrian Gonzalez, SD
2B: Orlando Hudson, LAD
3B: Ryan Zimmerman, WAS
SS: Jimmy Rollins, PHI
OF: Michael Bourn, HOU
OF: Shane Victorino, PHI
OF: Matt Kemp, LAD
P: Adam Wainwright, STL

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Why the **** does O-Dawg keep getting it over the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better Chase Utley? I mean he has the bat too so it's not like they're focusing just on the bat. Nyjer Morgan also was robbed just like Guti was yesterday, although that's no surprise.

P-L
11-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Although there are still some really bad selections, it seems like this year's Gold Glove winners as a whole are more deserving than many of the years' past.

djp
11-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Although there are still some really bad selections, it seems like this year's Gold Glove winners as a whole are more deserving than many of the years' past.

cough Nate McClouth cough

cough Raffy Palmeiro cough

Hines
11-11-2009, 07:28 PM
The Pirates offered the Brewers Capps for JJ Hardy.

My top 5 Pirate prospects:

1) Pedro Alvarez 3B
2) Jose Tabata OF
3) Brad Lincoln P
4) Tim Alderson P
5) Gorkys Hernandez OF

T-RICH49
11-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Royals are expected to sing Wilson Betimit.Dayton's obsession with ex Braves is now becoming creepy

fischbowl
11-11-2009, 07:44 PM
Rank the Phillies while you're at it? Interested to see how you have them down.

My Top 20 Phillies Prospects As Of Now

1) Domonic Brown, OF
2) Kyle Drabek, RHP
3) Michael Taylor, OF
4) Travis D’Arnaud, C
5) Anthony Gose, OF
6) Yohan Flande, LHP
7) Domingo Santana, OF
8) Joe Savery, LHP
9) Trevor May, RHP
10) Sebastian Valle, C
11) Antonio Bastardo, LHP
12) Quintin Berry, OF
13) Andrew Carpenter, RHP
14) Freddy Galvis, SS
15) Jarred Cosart, RHP
16) Zach Collier, OF
17) Travis Mattair, 3B
18) Michael Cisco, RHP
19) Steve Susdorf, OF
20) Jeremy Barnes, SS

Top 3 are extremely legit, Drabek never looked better than when he came off TJ surgery last year. Taylor is one of favourites and had yet another spectacular year leading the Phillies Minor Leaguers in slugging, batting average, and OBP.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Royals are expected to sing Wilson Betimit.Dayton's obsession with ex Braves is now becoming creepy

Umm.........why? Betimit kinda sucks.

fischbowl
11-11-2009, 08:35 PM

Versatility on the Bench?

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Versatility on the Bench?

He doesn't play any position well besides 1st and there's about 800 better 1st baseman options than him.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
At least the Mets are shopping Castillo. Supposedly we want Bengi Molina though. Ew.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:01 PM
At least the Mets are shopping Castillo. Supposedly we want Bengi Molina though. Ew.

At least Castillo can get on base and has speed. Molina can't do a goddamn thing.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:03 PM
He doesn't play any position well besides 1st and there's about 800 better 1st baseman options than him.

Can't believe we gave that bunch of garbage for Swisher.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-11-2009, 09:17 PM
At least Castillo can get on base and has speed. Molina can't do a goddamn thing.

Castillo has speed. Until he has to run to another base and hurts his knee and starts gimping around like a ************. But yeah, Molina is awful. It's sad that I'd almost rather have Miguel Olivo just because he won't make as much money and we can be quicker to realize he sucks. Have to take victories somewhere right? ******* Mets. I cannot wait until I take over that team.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:24 PM
Castillo has speed. Until he has to run to another base and hurts his knee and starts gimping around like a ************. But yeah, Molina is awful. It's sad that I'd almost rather have Miguel Olivo just because he won't make as much money and we can be quicker to realize he sucks. Have to take victories somewhere right? ******* Mets. I cannot wait until I take over that team.

Out of curiosity what would you do to improve the team that's within reason?

fischbowl
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Acquirez Halladayzzz duh

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:28 PM

Sign Kiko Calero, Nick Johnson, Gregg Zaun, and Ben Sheets.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
Sign Kiko Calero, Nick Johnson, Gregg Zaun, and Ben Sheets.

And then combine the Tigers and Mets.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:32 PM
For real though I'm very conflicted for what we should really do. We can go in so many different directions to make this team a contender again. This is the most curious I've been in an offseason for the Mets.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
For real though I'm very conflicted for what we should really do. We can go in so many different directions to make this team a contender again. This is the most curious I've been in an offseason for the Mets.

I see Joel Piniero in your future.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:33 PM
And then combine the Tigers and Mets.

I would only want the Tigers to sign one of those (Sheets). But all of those guys should be relatively cheap and wouldn't want long term contracts. Also, Zaun is always a good veteran catching option and isn't a little ***** like Molina.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I see Joel Piniero in your future.

If he's one of our lesser signings then that's fine.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
If he's one of our lesser signings then that's fine.

Nope. Slot him as your #2 next year.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
I would only want the Tigers to sign one of those (Sheets). But all of those guys should be relatively cheap and wouldn't want long term contracts. Also, Zaun is always a good veteran catching option and isn't a little ***** like Molina.

Those guys would all be good for a B signing but we'd still need more offense and starting pitching.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Nope. Slot him as your #2 next year.

We'll see. I've read so many conflicting opinions on what we're going to do the last 3 days that I have no idea what direction we're headed. It seems like anyone with a pulse we're talking too.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
Those guys would all be good for a B signing but we'd still need more offense and starting pitching.

Trade for Luke Scott then. Roll out this:

C- Gregg Zaun
1B- Nick Johnson
2B- Castillo
SS- Jose Reyes
3B- David Wright
LF- Luke Scott
CF- Carlos Beltran
RF- Francoeur (ugh but necessary)

Rotation:
Santana
Sheets
Maine
Niese
Probably Oliver Perez

I don't see the problem with something like this.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:42 PM
We'll see. I've read so many conflicting opinions on what we're going to do the last 3 days that I have no idea what direction we're headed. It seems like anyone with a pulse we're talking too.

Piniero, Molina, Cameron, and a crappy right handed platoon 1B. There's your offseason.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Trade for Luke Scott then. Roll out this:

C- Gregg Zaun
1B- Nick Johnson
2B- Castillo
SS- Jose Reyes
3B- David Wright
LF- Luke Scott
CF- Carlos Beltran
RF- Francoeur (ugh but necessary)

Rotation:
Santana
Sheets
Maine
Niese
Probably Oliver Perez

I don't see the problem with something like this.

That's a third place team in the NL East next year.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:46 PM
That's not bad Brodeur but if Sheets or Johnson got hurt we'd be right back in the dumpster. I don't want to overpay for one of these big Fa's but we do need one. Even coming into the 2009 season most Mets fans still thought we needed one more bat with Delgado playing 1B. Now that he's gone we might need 2. I wish I could propose a better plan but I'm all over the place with my Mets thoughts lately.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:47 PM
That's a third place team in the NL East next year.

Barring a trade for Halladay and signing Holliday, there's no chance they will be any higher.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Barring a trade for Halladay and signing Holliday, there's no chance they will be any higher.

Unfortunately unless everyone goes crazy you're right. :(

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Of course since Minaya is the GM they'll sign Jason Marquis and Molina and then suck even more and fall behind the Marlins as well.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 09:52 PM

Fans are not going to be happy with that. It seems Mets didn't drop ticket prices as much as some expected. And with the Yankees just winning the World Series, Mets fans are not going to be happy if they're not a close equal to the Phillies.

fischbowl
11-11-2009, 09:57 PM
Of course since Minaya is the GM they'll sign Jason Marquis and Molina and then suck even more and fall behind the Marlins as well.

That plus Piniero. Helluva an off season plan

T-RICH49
11-11-2009, 09:58 PM

I'm guessing minor league depth

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 09:58 PM
That plus Piniero. Helluva an off season plan

I actually like Joel but I think he needs another year with Dave Duncan in some capacity. He had an excellent year this year but without Dave I'm not sure it will last.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Last thing about the Mets. I read a rumor we might move Wright to 1B and then sign Figgins. Ehhhh.

fischbowl
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
I actually like Joel but I think he needs another year with Dave Duncan in some capacity. He had an excellent year this year but without Dave I'm not sure it will last.

I'm fine with him as a bottom starter as well

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM

Better or worse than Perez without Rick Peterson?

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Last thing about the Mets. I read a rumor we might move Wright to 1B and then sign Figgins. Ehhhh.

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Better or worse than Perez without Rick Peterson?

I'd go with decently better.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Ok no more depressing Mets tonight. White Sox go. Beckham should stay at SS or move him?

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 10:10 PM
I'd go with decently better.

Now will he get more or less money than Perez?

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Now will he get more or less money than Perez?

Lowe's contract is still worse than Perez right now.

dabears10
11-11-2009, 10:15 PM
Ok no more depressing Mets tonight. White Sox go. Beckham should stay at SS or move him?

My Sox friend believes Teahen at 3rd, Beckham at 2nd, and Ramirez at short. He would think that Beckham at short makes more sense.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Lowe's contract is still worse than Perez right now.

Not even close. Lowe is still a good starter in the league and he was a bit unlucky in 2009. Perez is just awful. As for the money, I honestly don't know how the market will play out at this point but I think he'll get less.

With Beckham, he SHOULD be at short and Ramirez should be at center but Rios horrendous contract is stuck there.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:22 PM
Not even close. Lowe is still a good starter in the league and he was a bit unlucky in 2009. Perez is just awful. As for the money, I honestly don't know how the market will play out at this point but I think he'll get less.

With Beckham, he SHOULD be at short and Ramirez should be at center but Rios horrendous contract is stuck there.

Perez was absoultely terrible last year but he still has a better chance at a bounce back year than Lowe. Perez only has 2 years left on his deal while Lowe has 3.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Perez was absoultely terrible last year but he still has a better chance at a bounce back year than Lowe. Perez only has 2 years left on his deal while Lowe has 3.

That is absolutely not true. Perez is absolutely terrible and will continue to be but Lowe will still be a solid number 3 or 4 pitcher. The extra year doesn't make up for the difference that will be the next 2 years.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 10:27 PM

What makes you think he has a better chance of a bounce back than Lowe? Perez is such a head case I think there is a great chance he nevers bounces back and this is going to be one of those contracts you're just going to have to eat.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:31 PM
It's 2 years at $12 million. Perez still had that knee injury that was lingering all year since the WBC. He is a headcase but for whatever reason he has these up and down years. Perez is a #4 or 5 which is overpaid but I can still see him bouncing back for a good year. Lowe declined in all his peripherals big time last year without any mention of an injury. He's getting paid $15 million a year for 3 years.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Also would you rather a 2 year $24 million deal for a 29 year old or a 3 year $45 million deal for a 37 year old.

Jughead10
11-11-2009, 10:39 PM
Also would you rather a 2 year $24 million deal for a 29 year old or a 3 year $45 million deal for a 37 year old.

Knowing who the 29 and 37 year old are, I'd rather have the 37 year old. Even if he doesn't play at all the last year and I'd have to eat that year.

Giantsfan1080
11-11-2009, 10:41 PM
Knowing who the 29 and 37 year old are, I'd rather have the 37 year old. Even if he doesn't play at all the last year and I'd have to eat that year.

Perez won't pitch that bad next year. I don't even want to defend him but still it's a better contract.

aNYtitan
11-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Perez won't pitch that bad next year. I don't even want to defend him but still it's a better contract.

Perez is Mr. Implosion, can't rely on him for anything really just because you have no idea which pitcher will show up. In regards to contracts, Lowe's sounds a lot worse, but in regards to pitchers, I would rather have Lowe. I think he is much more of a dependable arm. And I am not basing Perez solely on last year

Forenci
11-11-2009, 11:08 PM
That is absolutely not true. Perez is absolutely terrible and will continue to be but Lowe will still be a solid number 3 or 4 pitcher. The extra year doesn't make up for the difference that will be the next 2 years.

..you do realize that there are a ton of pitchers who can put up the stats Lowe did this year and do it for an extremely small fraction of the price?

Lowe was brutal. Increase in WHIP, ERA, BB/9, K/BB, BABIP, FIP and a decrease in K's per 9 inning. Not that he strikes out a ton of people anyways, but still. Not to mention his GB% went down and his FB% went up a bit too. Which for a guy his age...not good.

Ollie sucks, but so does Lowe. Fact is they both have awful contracts but at least we get to pay Perez less money the next two years and get rid of him quicker.

I wouldn't take Lowe over Ollie even though he's better and more consistent (albeit still a mediocre pitcher at best) but that's simply due to contract. If money wasn't the issue I think it's obvious to myself along with others Lowe would be the choice.

Now I'll give you that his defense has gotten crappier with the Braves, but Escobar while unspectacular is average, Chipper sucks now, and Laroche is average it wouldn't account for that large a drop in production. If he was playing for the Mets this year with all the injuries it would have been brutal. I felt bad for Pelfrey (sinker ball pitcher) having to deal with the abominations at short and second with 'no-range' Luis Castillo and Alex 'I'm too old to play short stop' Cora most of the year.

Brodeur
11-11-2009, 11:59 PM
Lowe was brutal? Are you serious?

Forenci
11-12-2009, 12:03 AM
Lowe was brutal? Are you serious?

Well, I'm overstating it a bit with that particular adjective but yes, he was bad.

Better than Perez certainly, but then again, who wasn't?

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 12:41 AM
Imagine if some of our best MLB players went to fight for the country these days. It's pretty amazing that DiMaggio, Williams, Feller, and so many others lost some of their best years to fight for their country.

M.O.T.H.
11-12-2009, 04:34 AM
Er yeah. Of course Lowe is up there and age and this year got away from him a bit but, he has been Mr. Consistency over the course of his career. Opposed to the insanely erratic, Perez. He obviously has a much better shot of bouncing back.

Forenci
11-12-2009, 01:19 PM
Er yeah. Of course Lowe is up there and age and this year got away from him a bit but, he has been Mr. Consistency over the course of his career. Opposed to the insanely erratic, Perez. He obviously has a much better shot of bouncing back.

I certainly don't disagree with that. But who knows? Ollie is supposedly getting into great shape this off-season so hopefully without the WBC to mess him up and his knee injury he can go back to being a below average pitcher who can on any given night pitch a shut out. Or get knocked out in the first inning.

Either way, I'd settle for that over what we saw briefly this year.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-12-2009, 04:02 PM

Completely and utterly dependent on cost of money/talent. I can throw out ******** salary numbers and prospects for player deals, but I've got no idea how accurate it would be. I would like to sign Sheets and Piniero though. Joel won't be what he was last year, but I don't see any reason we can't get him to be Aaron Cookish. Plus, I'd expect Wright to not be awful in the field this year, Reyes being better at D than our awful combo of SS last year, and a new 2B who can actually play.

Forenci
11-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Completely and utterly dependent on cost of money/talent. I can throw out ******** salary numbers and prospects for player deals, but I've got no idea how accurate it would be. I would like to sign Sheets and Piniero though. Joel won't be what he was last year, but I don't see any reason we can't get him to be Aaron Cookish. Plus, I'd expect Wright to not be awful in the field this year, Reyes being better at D than our awful combo of SS last year, and a new 2B who can actually play.

Not opposed to any of those moves myself. Lackey is clearly the most proven pitcher but I'm honestly not a huge fan of him and if his asking price is too high he wouldn't be worth it.

Seems like Castillo is as good as gone this off-season so hopefully we can bring Polanco, Felipe Lopez or Hudson. Preferably in that order.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Or Brandon Phillips.

P-L
11-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Just curious as to what some of you guys think it would take to get Adrian Gonzalez.

Brodeur
11-12-2009, 07:39 PM
Just curious as to what some of you guys think it would take to get Adrian Gonzalez.

Casey Kelly, Ryan Westmoreland, Lars Anderson, and Clay Buchholz probably.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Casey Kelly, Ryan Westmoreland, Lars Anderson, and Clay Buchholz probably.

Which is not worth it.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-12-2009, 08:01 PM
Or Brandon Phillips.

Winner. I'd love to get Phillips here.

P-L
11-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling that it is going to be something ridiculous like that. Especially considering Jed Hoyer knows everything about all our prospects. It would really hurt to lose Kelly and Westmoreland. I love Adrian Gonzalez, but I don't think I can justify trading both Kelly and Westmoreland in a package for him.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Silver Slugger Award Winners:

AL

1B M. Teixeira, Yankees
2B Aaron Hill, Blue Jays
3B Evan Longoria, Rays
SS Derek Jeter, Yankees
OF Jason Bay, Red Sox
OF Torii Hunter, Angels
OF Ichiro Suzuki, Mariners
C Joe Mauer, Twins
DH Adam Lind, Blue Jays

NL

1B A. Pujols, Cardinals
2B Chase Utley, Phillies
3B R. Zimmerman, Nats
SS H. Ramirez, Marlins
OF Ryan Braun, Brewers
OF Andre Ethier, Dodgers
OF Matt Kemp, Dodgers
C Brian McCann, Braves
P C. Zambrano, Cubs

Wootylicous
11-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Nice to see Aaron Hill and Adam Lind. Well deserved.

bored of education
11-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Yeah Westmoreland, Kelly, Anderson, Bucholz is a package they'd have to give up for Gonzo or Roy. if not more than JUST those 4 guys. Hoyer would not let them get off easy for Gonzo.

Forenci
11-12-2009, 08:46 PM
Or Brandon Phillips.

Eh...I'd be weary of Phillips. We already have one black hole in the line up with Francoeur and Phillips doesn't do a great job at getting on base with a .329 OBP.

Very good defender but I am wary of a guy who can't get on base and has been playing in a band box in Cinci. Moving him into Citi would certainly take some of his home runs away which is his main selling point in addition to defense.

Ultimately it depends what we'd give up. I'm not giving up top tier prospects to get him, but I'd give up some pretty good ones to acquire him.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 08:51 PM
Eh...I'd be weary of Phillips. We already have one black hole in the line up with Francoeur and Phillips doesn't do a great job at getting on base with a .329 OBP.

Very good defender but I am wary of a guy who can't get on base and has been playing in a band box in Cinci. Moving him into Citi would certainly take some of his home runs away which is his main selling point in addition to defense.

Ultimately it depends what we'd give up. I'm not giving up top tier prospects to get him, but I'd give up some pretty good ones to acquire him.

I wouldn't give up any of our top guys either but we should be focusing on defense in Citi. The Reds are looking to move his contract so we could get him for those B or C level prospects perhaps.

Borat
11-12-2009, 09:20 PM
Eh, If I remember right, Phillips' contract gets outrageous after this season. I don't think teams will be looking to trade for that thing.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 09:22 PM
Eh, If I remember right, Phillips' contract gets outrageous after this season. I don't think teams will be looking to trade for that thing.

2010- 6.75 M
2011- 11 M
2012- 12 M club option

Borat
11-12-2009, 09:30 PM
2010- 6.75 M
2011- 11 M
2012- 12 M club option

Yeah. Pretty much doubles. I wouldn't want to deal away great prospects to take on a big salary like that.

P-L
11-12-2009, 09:40 PM
At least it isn't a Vernon Wells or Barry Zito contract.

Which actually brings up something I've been thinking about. For all the **** that Barry Zito's contract gets, Vernon Wells' could be the worst in the history of sports. The Blue Jays still owe him $107 million over the next five years, lol.

Borat
11-12-2009, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Zito was OK last year. Not $18M good, but compared to the previous two years, he was fine.

Giantsfan1080
11-12-2009, 09:54 PM
At least it isn't a Vernon Wells or Barry Zito contract.

Which actually brings up something I've been thinking about. For all the **** that Barry Zito's contract gets, Vernon Wells' could be the worst in the history of sports. The Blue Jays still owe him $107 million over the next five years, lol.

Wells definitely has the worse contract. I don't know what the heck Ricciardi was thinking on that one.

Brodeur
11-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, Zito was OK last year. Not $18M good, but compared to the previous two years, he was fine.

Well he's a decent back end of the rotation starter, as opposed to being a decent........well nothing that is Vernon Wells.

MaxV
11-12-2009, 10:08 PM
I wouldn't give up any of our top guys either but we should be focusing on defense in Citi. The Reds are looking to move his contract so we could get him for those B or C level prospects perhaps.

I think pitching should be the top priority.

Brodeur
11-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Hmmm I forgot what thread I was in.

To make up something off the top of my head, Vernon Wells sucks.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Supposedly the Pirates want to move Doumit. Another move we should look into.

11-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I'd be willing to take a MAJOR discount for Doc if anyone was willing to take Vernon Wells' contract. He's locked in 'til 2015!!!

Brodeur
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
I'd be willing to take a MAJOR discount for Doc if anyone was willing to take Vernon Wells' contract. He's locked in 'til 2015!!!

Vernon Wells and Halladay for Carlos Guillen, Dontrelle Willis, Nate Robertson, Jeremy Bonderman, and Cale Iorg.

M.O.T.H.
11-13-2009, 11:00 AM
The Dodgers have inquired about the Braves' Vazquez. The Braves need an outfielder so, yeah. The Dodgers obviously wont part ways with Kemp or Either so, it would have to be prospects. meh. The Dodgers system isnt what it once was...Gordon would have to be involved. If they didnt want to move him for Lee, why would they want to for Vazquez? In any case...we could do better.

Giantsfan1080
11-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Supposedly the Pirates want to move Doumit. Another move we should look into.

I've been saying that for about a month now.

Borat
11-13-2009, 12:07 PM
Hell no. The Mets need Bengie Molina. You know it :D

Forenci
11-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Hell no. The Mets need Bengie Molina. You know it :D

Psh. Don't say that Borat! We already destroyed him in the running game when we played in San Fran, the last thing we need is to get his crappy hitting here too.

fischbowl
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
Ken Rosenthal reports that the O's are interested in Dan Uggla

http://wealsoran.com/music/uploaded_images/images_do_not_want-741689.jpg