PDA

View Full Version : Which Young QB will revitalize their career?

49ersfan_87
11-06-2009, 02:18 PM
I would love to be a homer and say Smith, but i think Leinart has the best shot. Although he wasn't playing well earlier, he has had 2 years to sit and when/if he returns to the starting lineup he'll have a great WR trio + an intriguing prospect in Beanie Wells.

yo123
11-06-2009, 02:27 PM
Tarvaris Jackson.

But seriously, Quinn. He hasn't even had a fair shot yet. The Browns are handling this situation terribly.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TBH I have to go Vince Young. I'm not saying he will ever be a great passer but with his running game I can easily see him having one of the highest completion percentages in the league as he won't be throwing it a lot and won't be asked to make many difficult throws. Just check downs to CJ, Bo Scaife and such. All he really has to do is make plays with his feet in 3rd down situations when they can't run the ball. Of that list I think Leinart is the least likely to be anything more than a career backup even after Warner is done.

Shiver
11-06-2009, 02:54 PM
I haven't given up on Matt Leinart. I think they need to see what he can do sooner or later this season. He definitely is in a situation to succeed and hopefully he has put in the work to become a great QB now that his 'Holywood' status has died down.

Splat
11-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I went with Leinart but I'm not sure any of them will ever be a franchise QB.

wordofi
11-06-2009, 04:52 PM
I think Vince Young can become a very good quarterback. The thing about Young is that his numbers don't tell the stry. The bottom line is the guy is a leader and win games. As far as Leinart, he hasn't played a whole lot, so it's too early to tell what he will wind up as.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-06-2009, 04:55 PM
I'll take the guy who jus winz gaymez.

Shiver
11-06-2009, 05:01 PM
http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2008/06/dawn-of-the-dead-zombie-2.jpg

JUUUUSSTTT
WIINNNNSSSS
GAAAAMMESSS

11-06-2009, 05:04 PM
http://splog.nationallampoon.com/files/2009/08/vince_young_shirtless_4.jpg

jsutw nis gsmesd

tjsunstein
11-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Which Young QB will revitalize their career?

I see what you did there, capitalizing the 'Y' in young and everything.

Monomach
11-06-2009, 11:51 PM
I have to go with Leinart. In the limited time that I've seen him play, he's shown flashes.

As a side note, I really do think Tarvaris Jackson belongs on this list (no joke!).

yo123
11-06-2009, 11:57 PM
I have to go with Leinart. In the limited time that I've seen him play, he's shown flashes.

As a side note, I really do think Tarvaris Jackson belongs on this list (no joke!).

No he doesn't. He's barely a backup level QB.

brat316
11-07-2009, 12:08 AM
Only reason I think most of us are picking Matty boy, is because we have seen him in such very limited action and has had a lot of time to sit. So its hard to pick out his flaws, maybe he ends up become pretty good like Rodgers or he sucks it up, who knows.

But seeing as how poorly the other qb have played so far, the odds are on him.

tjsunstein
11-07-2009, 12:10 AM
I like Alex Smith of the bunch.

Flyboy
11-07-2009, 01:05 AM
Matt Leinart for me.

vikes_28
11-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Jason Campbell should be added to this list. I think with a different team he can be a star.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-07-2009, 08:37 AM
Matt Leinart, He's got the best offense around him and he was never given a true opportunity. Once Warner leaves, I think he'll surprise a lot of people.

Iamcanadian
11-07-2009, 09:11 AM
The only one on the list who has zero chance of ever being a NFL QB is Quinn, the rest all have a decent shot at succeeding.

Michigan
11-07-2009, 09:38 AM
i think JaMarcus still has a chance if he can get out of Oakland somehow

BuddyCHRIST
11-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I really think all have a decent shot, I went with Smith as thats a young, talented team with a good coach and he's what they need. Give him some stability with the OC and he can succeed.

When Leinart takes over I think he'll be good, he had a solid rookie year and sitting and learning is definitely a good thing. Plus it seems like he's matured.

Quinn I want to believe in because I was a big fan out of college, but he does seem to check down too much, but the Browns are a pit of death right now as well. Needs a change of scenery.

Young, he's the one I'm least sold on because I really don't like his attitude anymore. I think he could be ok short term though because of the dynamic of him and CJ in the backfield.

Smooth Criminal
11-07-2009, 10:42 AM
Honestly, I think its Young. People forget that when he was drafted everyone said it was going to take 2-3 years before he would be ready. His fairly impressive rookie year set the bar to high for him coming back his second year.

I think he'll develop into a serviceable QB over the offseason. He'll be taking the reps all summer as the starter again and I really think that'll help.

ThePudge
11-07-2009, 01:01 PM
But seriously, Quinn. He hasn't even had a fair shot yet. The Browns are handling this situation terribly.

He had a fair shot. When he was the QB in Cleveland this season, albeit for 10 quarters, the offense scored one TD (in the last 30 seconds in a blowout loss to Minnesota) and the team was outscored 26-81. That team didn't move. At all. They are no worse with Anderson than they were with Quinn. At least when Anderson is comfortable he can have this offense moving and throw passes downfield. Quinn can't stand in the pocket upright for more than two seconds, he gets happy feet in the face of pressure, and you can't rely on him enough to send receivers further than ten yards.

The offense was so restricted with Quinn, it was incredible. At least with Anderson, the thought is, he has (unlike Quinn) proven he can be a serviceable starting quarterback in the NFL. I personally thought, with Braylon Edwards, Anderson was the right choice to stick with at QB. Now, I think we've realized Anderson is not a starting QB, and they should go with Quinn if nothing else to make sure. Both have been awful, neither has been able to make this offense look competent.

I expect to see Quinn finish up the season, but continue to fail miserably and cement that offense as the league's worst. Expect a Top 5 pick and a new franchise QB for the Browns. Brady Quinn has looked like a backup type QB in the NFL and I'm afraid myself and others that were high on him underestimated how much his struggles against pressure would affect him at the next level.

I honestly see all these Quarterbacks as replaceable. Still, I'll go with Matt Leinart because of the situation he'll likely inherit.

Job
11-07-2009, 01:15 PM
All of them. Except Vince Young.

yo123
11-07-2009, 08:02 PM
albeit for 10 quarters.

This is all I need to hear. 10 quarters is not enough to decide whether or not a guy is your quarterback of the future, no matter how badly he plays.

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Give me Alex Smith. He's the only one I've seen who can competantly throw a nice deep ball and get his players all involved.

Leinart doesn't have the arm strength to be effective, Young doesn't have the smarts to be a pocket passer, and Brady Quinn Plays for the Browns.

fenikz
11-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Whats wrong with Leinart's career, he is a back up for a HoFer much like Rodgers was

SenorGato
11-07-2009, 09:44 PM
I think Kellen Clemens catches on somewhere. Perhaps if Schottenheimer leaves the organization.

Bengalsrocket
11-08-2009, 12:03 AM
Whats wrong with Leinart's career, he is a back up for a HoFer much like Rodgers was

He had his shot to take the reins of that franchise and run with it though, and didn't produce. Rodgers never had a chance to steal the franchise from Favre till Favre left.

MasterShake
11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
He had his shot to take the reins of that franchise and run with it though, and didn't produce. Rodgers never had a chance to steal the franchise from Favre till Favre left.

Oh...and Leinarts a douchebag.

fenikz
11-08-2009, 05:15 AM

We brought Warner in as Leinart's back up, Leinart then broke his collar bone and Warner took "the reins" and ran with it

Shiver
11-08-2009, 09:34 AM
We brought Warner in as Leinart's back up, Leinart then broke his collar bone and Warner took "the reins" and ran with it

You mean when they used a QB.B.C and had Warner as the "closer" who ran the no-huddle offense? That was a stark testament to their confidence in Leinart.

Iamcanadian
11-08-2009, 05:34 PM
I cannot say with any real certainty that Leinart has what it takes but they are paying him a large sum of money for a 2nd stringer and there is no indication they intend to release him. That to me is a clear indication they still have real hope he can follow Warner and be a successful QB.

On the other hand Quinn will be cut after this season which speaks volumns about how Cleveland views his potential.
I think all the rest still have a shot, sometimes a change of scenery can help, see Campbell and Russell, sometimes a change in coaching works wonders, health also plays its part.

11-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Seriously. Just wins games.

abaddon41_80
11-08-2009, 06:17 PM
Seriously. Just gets carried by his defense and running game.

11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't care how bad Vince turns out to be. A team needs to start him week 1 and pull him after the first series.

The Titans are 33-16 in games after Vince has started a game in the season. When he hasn't, they're a resounding 0-9. That's some serious voodoo right there.

DoughBoy
11-08-2009, 06:30 PM

I dont care. He just wins baby.

MetSox17
11-08-2009, 06:36 PM

The same defense and same exact running game that Kerry Collins was getting blown out with game in and game out? ******* *****.

Shiver
11-08-2009, 06:45 PM
The same defense and same exact running game that Kerry Collins was getting blown out with game in and game out? ******* *****.

Definitely NOT the same defense.

MetSox17
11-08-2009, 06:47 PM
So, you're saying that the defense doesn't like to play when Kerry Collins is the quarterback? Or they give extra effort when Vince is the starter? :rolleyes:

abaddon41_80
11-08-2009, 06:49 PM
The defense and running game are playing 5x as good as they were before Young came in.

stephenson86
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
he has the it factor for me and the team respond to him, if hes playing badly the team rally with him...kerry collins is toilet

DoughBoy
11-08-2009, 06:51 PM
So, you're saying that the defense doesn't like to play when Kerry Collins is the quarterback? Or they give extra effort when Vince is the QB? :rolleyes:

The defense doesn't play well without Cortland, he sets the tone. I get your point though. Vince accuracy has improved a lot. Still needs to work on his dump-offs.

Shiver
11-08-2009, 06:55 PM
So, you're saying that the defense doesn't like to play when Kerry Collins is the quarterback? Or they give extra effort when Vince is the starter? :rolleyes:

It's called injuries. It is kinda hard when you have rookies on Wes Welker and Randy Moss.

11-08-2009, 07:13 PM

Some people have the idea that Vince has to be Superman in the process of winning games to justify his draft position. The fact is this Vince will do and the scary part is he is nowhere near a finished product. He only started for two full seasons and coming out there were many who felt he would have to sit for three seasons at the minimum to be successful. QBs of his breed take a little more time to get settled in, it is understandable when you consider the changing complexities of the game coming from his Texas high-school-styled offense to where he is now. His decision-making has improved substantially, which is a positive sign in his development, and I would look for the big play opportunities to follow if he continues upon this path.

T-RICH49
11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I dont care. He just wins baby.

QFT (10 char)

Bucs_Rule
11-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Leinart looked pretty good in preseason. From what I've read he is working much harder at it.

He also has the most talent around him. Making it easier to succeed. He can play decent and the offense will produce. In Cleveland you play decent, the offense will be bad.

TitanHope
11-08-2009, 07:21 PM
There are several reasons why the Titans are winning.

Vince Young is one of them.

There were several reasons why the Titans started 0-6.

Kerry Collins was one of them.

Give the kid his due. He's not dinkin' and dunkin'. He took several shots downfield today, and hooked up with Justin Gage twice for 49-yards and 33-yards. He completed 63.2% of his passes with a 9.1 Y/A average.

Young's success is helping out the team. He's continuing drives, which keeps the Titan DEF off the field, he's not turning it over, and his running and passing has helped Chris Johnson.

The Titans DEF is healthy, which is huge, but he's putting up double the points that Kerry Collins put up. Plus, CJ was a beast for Collins as well. He hasn't all of the sudden stepped it up. He's been around the league lead in rushing all season, including when Collins was the QB. Yet, Collins still sucked ass.

I'm not saying everyone should lavish him with praise. But, give the guy the props that he deserves. Just because he's not carrying the team on his back doesn't mean he hasn't been the difference in these last two games.

tuan33
11-08-2009, 08:24 PM
There are several reasons why the Titans are winning.

Vince Young is one of them.

There were several reasons why the Titans started 0-6.

Kerry Collins was one of them.

Give the kid his due. He's not dinkin' and dunkin'. He took several shots downfield today, and hooked up with Justin Gage twice for 49-yards and 33-yards. He completed 63.2% of his passes with a 9.1 Y/A average.

Young's success is helping out the team. He's continuing drives, which keeps the Titan DEF off the field, he's not turning it over, and his running and passing has helped Chris Johnson.

The Titans DEF is healthy, which is huge, but he's putting up double the points that Kerry Collins put up. Plus, CJ was a beast for Collins as well. He hasn't all of the sudden stepped it up. He's been around the league lead in rushing all season, including when Collins was the QB. Yet, Collins still sucked ass.

I'm not saying everyone should lavish him with praise. But, give the guy the props that he deserves. Just because he's not carrying the team on his back doesn't mean he hasn't been the difference in these last two games.

Pretty much this. The biggest difference between him and collins is he can keep the defense off the field. I think that's the biggest thing he has going for him. You can just tell by the way the defense plays.

niel89
11-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Young 'just wins' so much, that Al Davis has dreams about him.

yo123
11-08-2009, 08:37 PM
Young 'just wins' so much, that Al Davis has dreams about him.

Someone hook this man up with a new sig.

LonghornsLegend
11-08-2009, 08:43 PM

How long did Big Ben ride off of those two aspects? It's not like he's a 10 year vet at QB, part of the reason Tennessee drafted him is because he wouldn't have to throw 35 times a game in a precision timing offense. That team was built to play defense and run, and alot of times you need your QB to play within that.

As a matter of fact the 49ers are built the same way right now, and Alex Smith made more mistakes then Vince did. Their not going to ask him to play like Tom Brady and throw it around all game, and that's been a Super Bowl winning recipe for alot of teams.

niel89
11-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Someone hook this man up with a new sig.

better?

fuclarencemooreisawesomeashell

Xonraider
11-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Is it me or does the title WANT you to vote for Vince Young? ''Which Young QB...''? Conspiracy?

11-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Which Young Lionheart first overall BQ is more likely to turn it around?

Saints-Tigers
11-08-2009, 11:16 PM
Vince Young must be making everyone sick.

Keep making excuses while Vince keeps winning :D

aNYtitan
11-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Give me Alex Smith. He's the only one I've seen who can competantly throw a nice deep ball and get his players all involved.

Leinart doesn't have the arm strength to be effective, Young doesn't have the smarts to be a pocket passer, and Brady Quinn Plays for the Browns.

So you have in order to be good you have to be a pocket passer?

TitanHope
11-09-2009, 12:41 AM
So you have in order to be good you have to be a pocket passer?

Vince Young WK9 Highlights - NFL.com Video (http://www.nfl.com/videos/tennessee-titans/09000d5d8140ae72/WK-9-Vince-Young-highlights)

Lol, check the 1:13. After Gage leaps out of the building, watch Britt's reaction. :D

Pass at 0:25 was awesome. I went crazy in the IRC chat when it happened, lol.

But yeah, definitely no capability as a pocket passer... *cough*

Cicero
11-09-2009, 02:41 AM
Would vote none if it was an option.

abaddon41_80
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
As a matter of fact the 49ers are built the same way right now, and Alex Smith made more mistakes then Vince did. Their not going to ask him to play like Tom Brady and throw it around all game, and that's been a Super Bowl winning recipe for alot of teams.

Smith dropped back to pass 51 times compared to Young's 25. Of course he made more mistakes

phlysac
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Vince Young definitely won 13 games last season. Oh, wait.

TitanHope
11-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Smith dropped back to pass 51 times compared to Young's 25. Of course he made more mistakes

I thought Alex Smith played well yesterday. Yeah, he made some mistakes, but those happen. Two of the INT's were batted balls, and he'll get better with his pocket awareness which'll limit the fumbles.

What's your point?

i like the vince young discussion. it's like we've completely forgotten he's a headcase. ricky williams wishes people had given him this big a break.

True, but don't you think sitting out for a season could've helped his psyche?

Most of VY's issues were insecurities and immaturity. Ricky Williams's issues were that he'd rather get high and do yoga rather than play football.

Young has had his poor moments, but I think his problems are over-exaggurated. His biggest deal was immaturity, and getting bench and sitting for a year has certainly humbled him in that regard. That, and he's pretty stupid and doesn't filter most of the stuff he thinks and shouldn't necessarily say - like the retiring thing, Hall of Fame prediction, etc.

TitanHope
11-09-2009, 04:25 PM
sure. but vince young was set to retire after like, 2 years. because he was worried about things (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vince-Young-very-nearly-quit-football?urn=nfl,84426). from a position that tends to be one of the most important in football, i don't want a qb who's contemplating retirement because he can't handle being a qb after 2 seasons.

Yeah, it didn't set well with Titans fans either. Personally, I didn't have an issue with him thinking that and having the anxiety that comes with being a professional athlete. I did have a problem with him voicing that he thought about leaving football. That's one of those filter incidents where he says something he shouldn't have, and left fans of his with another /facepalm moment. If he never says anything, no one knows. I guess he thought he'd get pity? I dunno.

*shrug* and obviously, even with ricky, it's not like being a headcase means you can't ultimately be successful. but i find it... enlightening, when this board chooses to ignore certain things about certain players/teams/whatever.

assuming that he actually does have his head on straight, i'd tend to imagine he has the best chance. he was well on his way to learning how to throw his rookie year (yes, yes, save me the "but he completed x y and z!" thing, at this point, he isn't going to beat anyone with his arm, but we also all know he doesn't have to) and becoming a complete quarterback. but again, i'm not ready to snap my fingers and pronounce him sane.

Young has always been a polarizing player.

I remember when I first started really posting on NFLDC, I'd get in debates with you and Chris on who was better: Vince Young vs Jay Cutler (yeah, that's really turned out well for both teams...ugh). Some Houston fans loved him from his Texas days, and some hated him because they were criticized by the media and the first group of fans for passing over him in favor of Mario Williams (MarioPalmer syndrome). Jaguars fans don't like him because he was the ROTY when they felt Maurice Jones-Drew deserved it.

Then, there are guys who are fans of his (Titans fans, Texas fans) and will defend him. If you don't really have a dog in the fight, then some posters have said they'd like to see him succeed. So if a thread gets started, there's no shorting of opposing views.

I think VY having to sit for a year and being out of the public eye has allowed for the poles to come closer together. The media is no longer giving him praise. No one's had to put up with, "VYisaGOD!" or "He just wins games!!!" for a year, so no one's tired of him. Cutler is obviously the better QB, MoJo Drew is a great RB, and Mario Williams is a great DE - VY is looked at as a busted pick. I think that's why people are more welcoming to the idea of him possibly succeeding, and are willing to forget about his past instances.

Nevertheless, if Young continues to win, that whole dynamic will probably change.

Vox Populi
11-09-2009, 04:36 PM
They probably will win too since they're playing the Bills next... Schedule gets a little tough after that though and then finishes against 3/4 bad and middle of the pack teams depending on which Chargers team shows up.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Which Young QB will revitalize their career?

I see what you did there, capitalizing the 'Y' in young and everything.

Is it me or does the title WANT you to vote for Vince Young? ''Which Young QB...''? Conspiracy?

I noticed that, too. Conspiracy indeed.

kalbears13
11-09-2009, 04:56 PM
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j74/SeanOkin/SteveYoung.jpg

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 07:54 PM
that came from somewhere, right? i mean, you don't just say you're going to retire because a microphone's in your face
*shrug*

http://sportscrzy.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/brettfavrevikings.jpg

Some guy, forget his name, would like to say Hai.

DoughBoy
11-09-2009, 08:04 PM
He really doesnt run as much as he did in his rookie. His 2nd year he was so damn set on becoming a pocket QB and IMO in stunted his development. You cant just say "I'm going to stop running because I want to show everyone I can be Peyton Manning". It really took away from the best part of his game and as we all know he is not Peyon. He needs to gradually become a pocket guy like McNair, McNabb,and Steve Young did. That being said his down the field accuracy is much better than the last time he was a starter and he makes more than 1 or 2 reads like he did his rookie year. But he still needs work on his short accuracy and he has to put guys in better position to run after the catch. As long as he continues not to turn the ball over and develop he should be the starter next year. I would really love for us not to waste anymore time and develop a QB next year when we have a talented guy like VY. We need that pick for defense!!!

TitanHope
11-09-2009, 09:34 PM
christ, don't remind me of the ewing/vyisagod days. i dread the day someone necro's one of their threads.

LOL! Imagine being a Titans fan and coming onto the forums to find one of those threads. I was afraid to show my face.

I eventually had to make a thread in the Titans forum calling him and another Titans poster out for making that crap because it was so embarrassing. In fact, I'm 90% sure that that thread is probably the reason why I was promoted to Titans Team Leader, hah.

RufusMcDaniel
11-09-2009, 11:35 PM

Kerry Collins definitely won us those 13 games and we should have kept going with him. I mean with him....we might be 8-0 right now...oh wait.

11-10-2009, 06:13 PM
The thing that pissed me off about Ricky Williams, I dunno if others share the sentiment, wasn't so much the fact that he retired cuz he liked weed, just the fact that he retired so close to training camp. Had he done it right after the season, I'd have said you go Ricky. You had some good years left, but you've done enough that I'm not gonna question you. But he screwed the Phins, because the top FA RBs were gone, the draft was over... basically they went into camp without any competent runner. And screwing over your team like that ain't cool in my books.

11-10-2009, 06:15 PM

It's because he started the first game of the season. Titans are 33-14 in regular season games after Vince Young has registered a start since 2006. In games before he has registered a regular season start, the Titans are 0-9.

Staubach12
11-11-2009, 12:21 AM
Leinart. He has what it takes to be an NFL QB, he's just behind a guy who's played well and done a lot for that organization lately. He's going to be a good NFL QB one day.

MetSox17
11-15-2009, 04:51 PM
He just. wins. games.

lol.

P-L
11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
It's amazing. Vince has been good, not great. However, the Titans defense has been really good since he took over at quarterback.

Brent
11-15-2009, 05:03 PM
as long as people are honest and stop with the "just winzszzzz" crap. it's clear that orton deserves that title far more.
http://memegenerator.net/Instances/334/NECKBEARD-JUST-WINS-GAMESZZZ.jpg

just for you, njx.

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
If the Broncos had Vince, they'd have never started this losing streak.

11-15-2009, 05:07 PM
The secret is Brett ******* Kern. Another Broncos L and Titans W makes him 9-0 this season. Broncos 0-3 since he left, Titans 3-0 since he came.

TitanHope
11-15-2009, 05:37 PM
VY over the past 3 games:

J'Ville: 114.1 QB rating, 15/18, 83.3%, 125 yards, 6.9 Y/A, 1 TD, 0 INT - 12 rush for 30 yards

@ SF: 92.4 QB rating, 12/19, 63.2%, 172 yards, 9.1 Y/A, 0 TD, 0 INT - 5 rush for 14 yards, 1 TD

Buffalo: 90.4 QB rating, 17/25, 68%, 210 yards, 8.4 Y/A, 1 TD, 1 INT - 5 rush for 29 yards.

Season starting: 99.3 QB rating, 44/62, 71%, 507 yards, 8.2 Y/A, 2 TD, 1 INT - 22 rush for 73 yards, 1 TD

He's not dinkin' and dunkin' either. As a comparison, Peyton Manning and Matt Schaub's Y/A are 8.1, and Tom Brady's is 7.6. Although to be fair, those guys don't have Chris Johnson as their dumpoff option (It's not like VY has Reggie Wayne, Andre Johnson, or Randy Moss either though). :)

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2009, 05:46 PM
The secret is Brett ******* Kern. Another Broncos L and Titans W makes him 9-0 this season. Broncos 0-3 since he left, Titans 3-0 since he came.

You keep telling yourself that, and Vince Young will keep winning GAMES.

P-L
11-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Well, coming into today's game 66% of Young's passing yards have come after the catch. Compare that to Peyton Manning's 50%, Matt Schaub's 48%, Tom Brady's 47%, and Drew Brees' 42%.. Don't get me wrong, he's playing well. It's just a bit too early to start comparing him to the best passers in the game.

TitanHope
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Well, coming into today's game 66% of Young's passing yards have come after the catch. Compare that to Peyton Manning's 50%, Matt Schaub's 48%, Tom Brady's 47%, and Drew Brees' 42%.. Don't get me wrong, he's playing well. It's just a bit too early to start comparing him to the best passers in the game.

Boo context!!! :D

I didn't know 66% were YAC. But yeah, I didn't mean to say he was in the same league as Manning, Brady, etc. I was just trying to prove that he's throwing the ball downfield, and used those guys as an example because I think it's unanimous that Manning, Schaub, and Brady are looked at as great down the field passers.

But 66%? Really? That percentage just feels high. I'm kinda surprided, but that number will shoot up with Chris Johnson having 9 catches for 100 yards today, when VY passed for 210 total. :(

11-15-2009, 06:07 PM
You keep telling yourself that, and Vince Young will keep winning GAMES.

I'm just joking, but the Kern thing is seriously weird. Like first two weeks, okay, Baltimore and Pitt are very tough teams, losing isn't shocking. But the goddam Washington "We barely beat the Rams and Bucs, and lost to the Lions" Redskins? WTF!

11-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Boo context!!! :D

I didn't know 66% were YAC. But yeah, I didn't mean to say he was in the same league as Manning, Brady, etc. I was just trying to prove that he's throwing the ball downfield, and used those guys as an example because I think it's unanimous that Manning, Schaub, and Brady are looked at as great down the field passers.

But 66%? Really? That number will shoot up with Chris Johnson having 9 catches for 100 yards today. :(

The most important thing for Titans fans to remember, even with those stats is Kerry Collins couldn't put the ball into his playmakers' hands to allow those numbers.

TitanHope
11-15-2009, 06:35 PM
The most important thing for Titans fans to remember, even with those stats is Kerry Collins couldn't put the ball into his playmakers' hands to allow those numbers.

That's very true, and that's really what we've always needed from him. This team isn't as good as the one from last season, but Vince has never gotten the chance to really play with Chris Johnson. This team won 13 games last season because of CJ, so I've always wondered how VY would play with that kind of a playmaker behind him. LenWhale is ok, but Vince has never had a upper-tier RB behind him since Travis Henry back in his rookie season. I thought maybe he'd play smarter and make better decisions with more weapons to help him, and he has. Plus, we can now utilize the option in our offense with both of those guys, and it's been very effective especially in short yardage. The talent around him now is miles ahead of what it used to be. Chris Johnson > LenWhale. Scaife, Crumpler, and Jared Cook > Scaife and Crumpler. Justin Gage, Nate Washington, and Kenny Britt > Justin Gage, Eric Moulds, and Roydell Williams. And maybe most importantly, Mike Heimerdinger > Norm Chow. I'm glad he's getting another chance.

I was never a Kerry Collins fan. I hope I hid that well.

I'm not meaning to count my chickens before they hatch, but just seeing VY playing well for a handful of games is sooo exciting.

OzTitan
11-15-2009, 07:58 PM
Best 3 game streak of his career, as a passer.

Yeah, there are a lot of dump offs and short passes, but most importantly, Vince looks like he kinda knows what he is doing out there. He's playing smart and with confidence.

Plus he did a nice block today for CJ. I hate to jump the gun too, but it *seems* like he's awake now from the nightmare of 2007 and 2008.

Next week, MNF in Houston. Schedule makers must have forseen Vince starting by now, surely ;)

Saints-Tigers
11-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I'm just joking, but the Kern thing is seriously weird. Like first two weeks, okay, Baltimore and Pitt are very tough teams, losing isn't shocking. But the goddam Washington "We barely beat the Rams and Bucs, and lost to the Lions" Redskins? WTF!

I'm just joking too, I'm glad Vince is playing well.

CashmoneyDrew
11-15-2009, 11:00 PM
You fools keep believing it's VY or Kern when it is so obviously Rod Hood. Imma go start a fan club.

11-15-2009, 11:07 PM
You fools keep believing it's VY or Kern when it is so obviously Rod Hood. Imma go start a fan club.

Child please, Rod Hood played in the 59-0 debacle. Brett Kern hasn't lost a game all year and the two teams who have had him haven't won a game without him!

CashmoneyDrew
11-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Child please, Rod Hood played in the 59-0 debacle. Brett Kern hasn't lost a game all year and the two teams who have had him haven't won a game without him!

I'm pretty sure he didn't. I remember the rookies getting toasted all game that day.

11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty sure he didn't. I remember the rookies getting toasted all game that day.

He registered a tackle!

http://www.nfl.com/players/roderickhood/gamelogs?id=HOO217532

Brett Kern just registers WINZ.

TitanHope
11-15-2009, 11:27 PM
Hood was like the 4th CB/ST's player against New England, but yeah, he played.

VY, Brett Kern, and Rod Hood starting just winz gaymez!

DoughBoy
11-15-2009, 11:29 PM
My neice was born during the bye-week. My Neice JU5t wINZZ GAMEZ!!!1!!!!11!!!!

11-15-2009, 11:39 PM
My neice was born during the bye-week. My Neice JU5t wINZZ GAMEZ!!!1!!!!11!!!!

We need to start a poll.

Who is responsible for the Titans turnaround?

Vince "Jus Winz Gaymez" Young

Roderick Hood

Brett "9-0 this year and my two teams a combined 0-9 witout me" Kern

Doughboy's neice who has never lived to see a Titans loss.

DoughBoy
11-15-2009, 11:44 PM
We need to start a poll.

Who is responsible for the Titans turnaround?

Vince "Jus Winz Gaymez" Young

Roderick Hood

Brett "9-0 this year and my two teams a combined 0-9 witout me" Kern

Doughboy's neice who has never lived to see a Titans loss.

I vote in favor of this poll.

Shiver
11-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Vince Young is better than Kerry Collins, no denying that, but let's credit the defense for the terrible start and for the post-bye week comeback. (Chris Johnson has been the only standout throughout the season)

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 12:05 AM
Vince Young is screwing TN out of a real quarterback next year.

abaddon41_80
11-16-2009, 06:58 AM
Vince Young is screwing TN out of a real quarterback next year.

Quoted for truth. Can you imagine how much better Chris Johnson would be if the Titans had a passing attack that people actually worried about?

DoughBoy
11-16-2009, 07:03 AM
Quoted for truth. Can you imagine how much better Chris Johnson would be if the Titans had a passing attack that people actually worried about?

Watcha you gotta agianst Vince?

abaddon41_80
11-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Nothing. I just don't think he is good and he hasn't done anything to convince me that he is.

CashmoneyDrew
11-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Watcha you gotta agianst Vince?

Ah, so you're Italian.

RufusMcDaniel
11-16-2009, 11:18 AM

Yeah...he's really struggling right now with Vince.

Just about 500 yards rushing, 6 TDs.

Philliez01
11-16-2009, 11:46 AM
I hate to jump the gun too

Best VY pun in the thread.

I think the only two with a shot belong to VY and Alex Smith. Smith is finding Vernon Davis and Crabtree has been targeted frequently since he started his career a few weeks back.

TitanHope
11-16-2009, 11:47 AM

Yup, CJ doesn't really need a passing attack to help him. If anything, having guys crowd the line helps him because once he gets to the second level, there'll be no one there to force him to the sideline. Plus, VY is playing better than any of the rookie QB's this season, and maybe even better than some sophomore QB's. Just because we get a new QB doesn't mean he'll be an upgrade, especially early.

That's not even considering what VY's scrambling ability does for CJ's running lanes. VY freezes DL's, and that little semisecond is all CJ needs to blow by them. 'Dinger is also imcorporating the Option into the offense, and it's been used in key situations with success - 4th Down TD run against San Fran, and 3rd Down coversion against Buffalo.

VY's not racking up the yards because he's not having to throw a lot, but he's been able to stretch defenses these past 3 games. He was on pace for 300-yards in the first half of the Buffalo game, but CJ's become our finisher of sorts and gets the ball when the game is on the line.

abaddon41_80
11-16-2009, 01:38 PM

That is my point. If they had a good passing attack then their offense would be unstoppable

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
That is my point. If they had a good passing attack then their offense would be unstoppable

They've put up 41, 30, and 34 points with Vince Young at QB, that's pretty unstoppable to me.

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 05:05 PM
They've put up 41, 30, and 34 points with Vince Young at QB, that's pretty unstoppable to me.

Yeah but it means they have to keep Vince Young on the squad.

DoughBoy
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM

As long as Jeff Fisher is around we will never throw for 4000 yards a season. The Titans QB position in a nut-shell is dont turn the ball over and make 3rd down conversions. And as long as Vince continues to do that, he has a place in Nashville.

MetSox17
11-29-2009, 06:16 PM
He just wins gamezzZzZzZzZzZ!!!1111

11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
He just wins gamezzZzZzZzZzZ!!!1111

You can say that a million times over. Close to 400 yards, too. That's what you come to expect out of a top 3 pick.

11-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Vince is so far ahead of these other pretenders it's ridiculous. First ever 0-6 team to win 5 in a row. Almost 400 yards today. A game winning TD pass with no time left. 3 4th down conversions on a 99 yard drive to win. Vinsanity is back.

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Vince is so far ahead of these other pretenders it's ridiculous. First ever 0-6 team to win 5 in a row. Almost 400 yards today. A game winning TD pass with no time left. 3 4th down conversions on a 98 yard drive to win. Vinsanity is back.

99 yard drive son. Don't sell your man short! haha

MetSox17
11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
I swear to god, the whole time once they got down to the 10 yard line, i was hoping he'd make an epic play so i can come and bump this thread. And he did. And i did.

11-29-2009, 06:23 PM
99 yard drive son. Don't sell your man short! haha

Haha my bad, I was following the gamecast on NFL.com and I thought I saw the drive started on the 2. I'll edit the post :)

I'm also glad the curse of the Kern is officially over. Now his record is much less strange, with him being 11-0 and his teams without him getting a win this week to go 1-10.

FUNBUNCHER
11-29-2009, 06:43 PM
VY is awesome!!!

That is all.

Where's MarioPalmer??

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-29-2009, 06:44 PM
Wow, seems like Vince Young and Alex Smith are both starting to fulfill their potential. Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn not so much, although there's still a little hope for Brady (but not with that horrible Cleveland organization).

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2009, 06:45 PM
VY is awesome!!!

That is all.

Where's MarioPalmer??

Damn, he got banned earlier today.

Petition to reinstate him just so we can get his thoughts?

MetSox17
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
I'd love to read how MarioPalmer would spin this.

abaddon41_80
11-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Congratulations to Vince Young on finally having a great game. I gotta give him his props.

soybean
11-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Wow, seems like Vince Young and Alex Smith are both starting to fulfill their potential. Matt Leinart and Brady Quinn not so much, although there's still a little hope for Brady (but not with that horrible Cleveland organization).

matt was actually decent this game.

I'd rank them VY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leinart>Smith>Quinn.

brat316
11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
VY needs to play from the shotgun to be very effective.

T-RICH49
11-29-2009, 06:51 PM
Just...Wins...Games

Vince Young > You

FUNBUNCHER
11-29-2009, 07:00 PM
matt was actually decent this game.

I'd rank them VY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Leinart>Smith>Quinn.

The only problem with Leinart is he happens to be on the same team with a future HOFer.

I stil think he's gonna develop into a pro bowl QB.

Arizona is set up on offense for years to come with Leinart, Beanie Wells, and Fitzgerald.

Forenci
11-29-2009, 08:05 PM
It's pretty funny/sad that Vince Young is having a better year (albeit he started late) than Jay Cutler who everyone thought was by far the best first round QB in that draft. Granted Cutlers offensive line is brutal, but still.

I'm happy for Young though. I think he's a pretty cool guy and I am excited to see him win and be successful. Honestly watching him play right now is almost must-see TV. He makes games fun to watch, especially now that he seems much more comfortable knowing when to pass and when to run.

I thought his biggest mistake his second year was he was trying to prove to everyone he was a passer and that he wasn't just a scrambling quarterback.

OzTitan
11-29-2009, 08:30 PM
Insane game by Young. Close to 400 yards passing and 1 game winning, time expiring TD and 0 INTs? I was a little cautious to proclaim Young as being back even after the best 4 game stretch in his NFL career because he was riding CJ at key moments, but not this game - CJ had no part in that final drive.

A drive which goes down as probably the best in Oilers/Titans history, and 2nd only to the MCM as far as moments go for the Titans.

LonghornsLegend
11-29-2009, 08:44 PM
It's amazing what playing with confidence will do for you, and that's what VY is doing again. It's like his rookie season all over, but it looks like sitting on the bench did him some good. Remember when everyone said that if he came out he would need lots of time to sit and learn the ropes? Well maybe a slice of humble pie helped out with all that. That 99 yard drive was amazing, and clutch.

Makes you wonder how many more losses Fisher was willing to suffer with Collins at QB before making the change, now it looks like VY is going to save his job. Kinda ironic isn't it?

I also like what Alex Smith has shown me, he's had time to get healthy and learn as well. Granted he's played alot better out of the shotgun then under center which is to be expected for guys coming out of the offenses he and VY did, but he definately should be starting next year with some O-line help out of the draft to see if he continues to improve.

The Unseen
11-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Okay, that's it. This guy is good.

question: do the Titans make the playoffs

11-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Okay, that's it. This guy is good.

question: do the Titans make the playoffs

I don't think they do. Broncos play the Raiders and the Chiefs twice. And then another possible win against Philly. Colts, we won't beat.

Steelers and Ravens, whoever wins this game, especially if it's Pitt, has the leg up on the other spot. Tennesse will probably need to win out to have a shot.

Philliez01
11-29-2009, 08:58 PM
I really like what Alex Smith has done though, as well. VY is insane, I never had much trust in him keeping this up but I think he's sold me.

We may have to add some names to this list though soon.

scottyboy
11-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Only one of them has a Rutgers player to throw to...so it's pretty damn obvious

aNYtitan
11-29-2009, 09:49 PM
I guess all those calls for the Titans to draft Bradford or Clausen have been thrown out the window.

Forenci
11-29-2009, 09:54 PM
Only one of them has a Rutgers player to throw to...so it's pretty damn obvious

Only because Mike Teel sucks. Hah!

Although I do think Savage will be a great pro.

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm still hoping Leinart can be a good QB...although i still cringe remembering his noodle arm throws

RufusMcDaniel
11-29-2009, 10:09 PM
I love Vince Young, and I will wear my jersey with pride tomorrow.

49ersfan_87
11-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Just to update it a little bit, here are the statistics for the aforementioned QB's

Vince Young

83/132, 62.9% completion, 1,010 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT, 7.7 YPA. 90.2 QB Rating.

40 rushes, 159 yards, 1 TD, 4 fumbles

Alex Smith

122/196, 62.2% completion, 1,265 yards, 11 TD, 7 INT, 6.5 YPA. 84.7 QB Rating

11 rushes, 49 yards, 2 fumbles

Matt Leinart

38/56, 67.9% completion, 0 TD, 1 INT, 339 yards 6.1 YPA. 76.4 QB Rating

6 rushes, -3 yards, 1 fumble

Brady Quinn

95/175, 54.3% completion, 912 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 5.2 YPA. 66.7 QB Rating

13 rushes, 49 yards, 1 TD, 3 fumbles

CC.SD
11-30-2009, 12:15 PM
I guess all those calls for the Titans to draft Bradford or Clausen have been thrown out the window.

Nope not entirely. Clausen I think makes the Titans a better team. But then again they won't win every game.

PoopSandwich
11-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I think if the Titans went out and got VY a huge talent at wide receiver then he could put up some better passing stats as far as throwing tds go. Britt and Gage are both good but imagine if they would be able to add someone like Braylon in the offseason, yes he has his drops but Edwards/Britt/Gage would be a sick young receiving core.

phlysac
11-30-2009, 01:27 PM
I think if the Titans went out and got VY a huge talent at wide receiver then he could put up some better passing stats as far as throwing tds go. Britt and Gage are both good but imagine if they would be able to add someone like Braylon in the offseason, yes he has his drops but Edwards/Britt/Gage would be a sick young receiving core.

One of the reasons VY is putting up good passing yardage is because of Kenny Britt. He IS that "huge talent" at WR you're speaking of. Give him time.

CC.SD
11-30-2009, 01:47 PM

Britt>Braylon

Gay Ork Wang
11-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Just to update it a little bit, here are the statistics for the aforementioned QB's

Vince Young

83/132, 62.9% completion, 1,010 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT, 7.7 YPA. 90.2 QB Rating.

40 rushes, 159 yards, 1 TD, 4 fumbles

Alex Smith

122/196, 62.2% completion, 1,265 yards, 11 TD, 7 INT, 6.5 YPA. 84.7 QB Rating

11 rushes, 49 yards, 2 fumbles

Matt Leinart

38/56, 67.9% completion, 0 TD, 1 INT, 339 yards 6.1 YPA. 76.4 QB Rating

6 rushes, -3 yards, 1 fumble

Brady Quinn

95/175, 54.3% completion, 912 yards, 5 TD, 5 INT, 5.2 YPA. 66.7 QB Rating

13 rushes, 49 yards, 1 TD, 3 fumbles
i kinda think all of them kinda showed that they should at least get another year

Brent
11-30-2009, 01:51 PM
I also like what Alex Smith has shown me, he's had time to get healthy and learn as well. Granted he's played alot better out of the shotgun then under center which is to be expected for guys coming out of the offenses he and VY did, but he definately should be starting next year with some O-line help out of the draft to see if he continues to improve.
It's not so much the shotgun as it is spreading out the field with 2 TEs and 2 WRs, or 3 WRs and VD. Delanie Walker needs to get some mention, too, because he is a former college WR who has been another passing mismatch at TE much like VD.

HUGE test for Alex to show consistency at Seattle this week.

TitanHope
11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

Kenny Britt is a better and more productive WR than Braylon Edwards.

Britt: 33 rec, 521 yards, 47.4 YPG, 15.8 YPC, 2 TD's.
Edwards: 30 rec, 460 yards, 41.8 YPG, 15.3 YPC, 2 TD's.

Brent
11-30-2009, 02:03 PM
Kenny Britt is a better and more productive WR than Braylon Edwards.

Britt: 33 rec, 521 yards, 47.4 YPG, 15.8 YPC, 2 TD's.
Edwards: 30 rec, 460 yards, 41.8 YPG, 15.3 YPC, 2 TD's.
Poor scottyboy. It must kill him on the inside that Britt isnt a Giant.

scottyboy
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Poor scottyboy. It must kill him on the inside that Britt isnt a Giant.

it makes me so sad. I mean, Nicks is awesome, but Britt...my god we're talking HOF once in a lifetime talent here.

11-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Nope not entirely. Clausen I think makes the Titans a better team. But then again they won't win every game.

I actually disagree here. I think, with the way Vince Young is playing, you pretty much have to give him another year. He's not "just winning gamez" like he used to, aka by sucking horribly passing the ball but somehow the defense and running game would come through. He's making serious plays right now without turning the ball over that much. You can't make the argument anymore that the Titans are winning despite him, in fact IMO he's a big reason why they're winning. CJ's the biggest, Vince is probably 2nd followed closely by the resurgent defense. He could still become the type of QB he had the potential to be after leaving Texas.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2009, 07:39 PM

Ummm Nate Washington and Kenny Britt is going to be a very good 1-2 punch next year. This team isn't the Saints and never will be so they don't need that type of personnel. I think Kenny Britt is a #1 WR and is showing signs right now, year 2 I expect even bigger strides, that's why they drafted him. Nate Washington is an awesome #2 WR to have and an even better compliment, he can stretch the defense and make big plays, add in Jared Cook who is basically a WR playing TE with the way he can move and catch and that's more then enough.

Adding another QB or WR would be pointless and stupid for them to do imo, strengthening that defense up should be a priority. For once they have legit weapons on offense now and even for those who aren't sold that VY is the QB of the future he's at least bought himself another year to add pieces around him to see what he can do.

Besides that, Britt is a better and more complete WR then Braylon right now anyway, he does nothing for them Nate Washington doesn't already do. Ringer is going to be a great back to spell CJ and I think the O-line will stay intact, if they can manage to get at least a few impact players on defense they have a core who should be definately be able to make a playoff run.

TitanHope
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Ummm Nate Washington and Kenny Britt is going to be a very good 1-2 punch next year. This team isn't the Saints and never will be so they don't need that type of personnel. I think Kenny Britt is a #1 WR and is showing signs right now, year 2 I expect even bigger strides, that's why they drafted him. Nate Washington is an awesome #2 WR to have and an even better compliment, he can stretch the defense and make big plays, add in Jared Cook who is basically a WR playing TE with the way he can move and catch and that's more then enough.

Adding another QB or WR would be pointless and stupid for them to do imo, strengthening that defense up should be a priority. For once they have legit weapons on offense now and even for those who aren't sold that VY is the QB of the future he's at least bought himself another year to add pieces around him to see what he can do.

Besides that, Britt is a better and more complete WR then Braylon right now anyway, he does nothing for them Nate Washington doesn't already do. Ringer is going to be a great back to spell CJ and I think the O-line will stay intact, if they can manage to get at least a few impact players on defense they have a core who should be definately be able to make a playoff run.

Not to mention, he is a monster run blocker. Actually, all the Titans WR's have been great blocking, and it's helped CJ break off all these long runs.

Raider_fan_Canada
12-02-2009, 05:15 PM
Vince Young is making throws and plays I never thought I would see from him. At the same time he uses his mobility and still remains alive as a passer when he can. Oh and he still has a knack for winning too!

Huge props to a guy that dedicated himself to his profession.

Gay Ork Wang
12-03-2009, 02:01 PM
i just looked at Anatomy of a Play and whereas it was a great play by Young, it seems like the Titans got away with a huge holding call

Shiver
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
My two cents on this topic:

I really hope Mike Singletary sticks with the spread passing attack; Alex Smith is actually playing really well in that formation and since Michael Crabtree excelled at TTU in that offense it only makes sense to stick with it. How are you, as a defense, going to stop Crabtree and Davis? I would have nightmares as an OC. Unfortunately I think Singletary's run-first play defense philosophy might win out in the end, even if it is detrimental to the success of his team. I have always liked Alex Smith, I think his relationship with Mike Nolan soured and that cost his on the field. He is smart, has all the tools and is still young. I am glad they gave him another shot.

I am amazed at how Vince Young has responded to his benching last year. He has displayed a mixture of dedication to his craft and mental toughness. He is looking to run as a last resort, which is exactly what he needs to do to be successful as a QB in this league. I also like the relationship he has developed with Kenny Britt. If I was a Titans' fan I would be enthralled that our "QB of the future" has become the QB of the present.

vikes_28
12-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Matt Lineart just looks lost. Maybe he could succeed with another team? I would imagine he will get another chance with the Cards. But when Warner leaves, the Cardinals won't have much. I do not think that he is the QB of the future in Arizona.

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Matt Lineart just looks lost. Maybe he could succeed with another team? I would imagine he will get another chance with the Cards. But when Warner leaves, the Cardinals won't have much. I do not think that he is the QB of the future in Arizona.

He needs to be a Panther and conduct the Williams&Stewart Express.

Saints-Tigers
12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
I just don't see how you can expect a QB to succeed anywhere if he can't look good with Fitzgerald, Boldin and company.

Stranger
12-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Meh he is not as terrible as people make him out to be. He actually performed pretty well in the second half (and he didn't really get any first team reps during the week since the team thought Warner was likely to start). That said I don't think he is the type of QB that can carry a team and is more suited to a run first team that needs a game manager who can make a few plays on 3rd down. It seems to me that he does a good job of the mental apects, reading defenses, making pre snap adjustments etc but his arm strength is lacking and he really throws up ducks if the pressure stops him from properly stepping into his throws.

Just a thought on Alex Smith. Blah cant get the chart to look nice but you get the picture.

The 49ers' Alex Smith has put up better numbers in the shotgun formation than from under center, according to ESPN Stats & Information.
Formation Comp. Att. Pct. Yards TD INT Rating
Shotgun 58 92 63.0 641 7 3 95.1
Under center 37 63 58.7 394 2 4 61.2
Totals 95 155 61.3 1,035 9 7 81.5

This is from Sando from ESPN.

I like what I have seen from him but you would think that someone that's been in the league five years would have learnt how to be effective form under center.

CC.SD
12-03-2009, 06:10 PM
I just don't see how you can expect a QB to succeed anywhere if he can't look good with Fitzgerald, Boldin and company.

It's tough for young QBs to succeed with no running game, which is what the Cards have had for most of Leinart's tenure.

Ness
12-03-2009, 06:21 PM

I like what I have seen from him but you would think that someone that's been in the league five years would have learnt how to be effective form under center.

Well that is kind of a gray area. I mean he has had five different coordinators in the five years he has been in the NFL. Add that to not really have consistent playmakers around him...I'd say it isn't out of the question that he's still struggling. It would have been ideal if he had the same offensive coordinator for at least a couple of seasons.

I am amazed at how Vince Young has responded to his benching last year. He has displayed a mixture of dedication to his craft and mental toughness. He is looking to run as a last resort, which is exactly what he needs to do to be successful as a QB in this league. I also like the relationship he has developed with Kenny Britt. If I was a Titans' fan I would be enthralled that our "QB of the future" has become the QB of the present.

I'm also impressed myself. He's showing a lot more resolve now that he's gotten another chance. Last week he had a career high in passing yards. Looks like he is finally turning the corner. But it's only been a few games. We need to see this throughout an entire season. This week against the Colts will be a huge test to see what Young can do.

Stranger
12-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Well that is kind of a gray area. I mean he has had five different coordinators in the five years he has been in the NFL. Add that to not really have consistent playmakers around him...I'd say it isn't out of the question that he's still struggling. It would have been ideal if he had the same offensive coordinator for at least a couple of seasons.

I agree, his career has probably been a perfect illustration of how not to develop a young QB. At the same time I am sure all of the different OC's worked with him on taking snaps from under center and he is having success with the same playmakers out of the shotgun. That said I think he is showing enough at the moment that the 49ers should think of him as their QB of the future.

phlysac
12-03-2009, 08:39 PM

He may have been in the league for 5 years but he has been unable to practice for nearly 2 years.

I think the biggest comfort level in the shotgun is because he has consistently better time to make the reads. In the cases where he's had time from under center, he's looked good as well. It's just that the majority of the time from under-center, he's had a defender in his face as soon as he's finished his drop.

In fact, according to Sando, Alex Smith has been sacked at an UNDER 3 second AVERAGE! That's hideous.

sup3rdup3r
12-05-2009, 08:23 PM
Meh he is not as terrible as people make him out to be. He actually performed pretty well in the second half (and he didn't really get any first team reps during the week since the team thought Warner was likely to start). That said I don't think he is the type of QB that can carry a team and is more suited to a run first team that needs a game manager who can make a few plays on 3rd down. It seems to me that he does a good job of the mental apects, reading defenses, making pre snap adjustments etc but his arm strength is lacking and he really throws up ducks if the pressure stops him from properly stepping into his throws.

Just a thought on Alex Smith. Blah cant get the chart to look nice but you get the picture.

It's not so of not being comfortable under center as it is having time to throw from under center. The 49ers offensive line is complete crap and putting Smith in the shotgun is the only way to get him extra time right now. The disparity in the stats has to do with the fact that when he's under center, the rush gets to him before he finishes his drop back.

Whistler6
12-05-2009, 08:31 PM
First off, Vince Young has looked great the past 5 weeks. Last weeks 300+ yard passing game and 99 yard game winning drive aside, he has consistently been throwing for roughly 150 yards per game.

I think we need to chalk up VY's resurrection if you will to the AMAZING speed and big play capability of Chris Johnson. Yes Young has had a great turnaround, but 5 weeks is wayyyyyy too soon to say he's revitalized his career.

I like rooting for him though, so we'll see.

DoughBoy
12-05-2009, 08:37 PM
First off, Vince Young has looked great the past 5 weeks. Last weeks 300+ yard passing game and 99 yard game winning drive aside, he has consistently been throwing for roughly 150 yards per game.

I think we need to chalk up VY's resurrection if you will to the AMAZING speed and big play capability of Chris Johnson. Yes Young has had a great turnaround, but 5 weeks is wayyyyyy too soon to say he's revitalized his career.

I like rooting for him though, so we'll see.

I know what your trying to say but stats will never tell you the whole story with a QB like VY.

Ness
12-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I agree, his career has probably been a perfect illustration of how not to develop a young QB. At the same time I am sure all of the different OC's worked with him on taking snaps from under center and he is having success with the same playmakers out of the shotgun. That said I think he is showing enough at the moment that the 49ers should think of him as their QB of the future.
Well he still needs to take the momentum he's acquired and take it into next season. Can't have everyone be fooled. Even if he finished out the season strong, I would be pissed if the 49ers gave him an extension. He has another year on his contract, and if he does well during next season he'll most likely be offered an extension. But you have too many guys like Rex Grossman who have had a string of good games and just flame out and look like a different, much worse player. Can't have Alex Smith playing well enough just to save his job.

Whistler6
12-05-2009, 08:56 PM
I know what your trying to say but stats will never tell you the whole story with a QB like VY.

Oh I absolutely agree, especially with VY. I watched the entire game. Every 3rd down that would break down, Young would scramble for a 7 yard game and the defense was completely helpless each time.

If he can avoid INT's and costly fumbles, he has a great oppurtunity to succeed with Chris Johnson in his backfield.

12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Fox Sports wants Quinn to succeed. Came across the ticker on the pre-game show with his numbers as 16/19 with 90 yards last week. Lolllllllll.

TitanHope
12-22-2009, 10:17 AM
Whabam!

http://i48.tinypic.com/1zn5vkp.gif

http://i46.tinypic.com/15yq86.gif

MetSox17
12-22-2009, 11:44 AM
He just winz teh gamez.

vikes_28
12-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I think at this point, its a toss up between Smith and Young. Both are playing fantastic football right now.

MetSox17
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I think at this point, its a toss up between Smith and Young. Both are playing fantastic football right now.

Smith really can't touch Vince right now. Aside from the obvious (W-L), Smith is throwing way too many INTs. If you put his average right now (12 ints in 9 games) over a full season, he'd be on pace to throw 21. That's Favre-esque.

vikes_28
12-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Smith really can't touch Vince right now. Aside from the obvious (W-L), Smith is throwing way too many INTs. If you put his average right now (12 ints in 9 games) over a full season, he'd be on pace to throw 21. That's Favre-esque.

But Smith is winning games. And if you find a way to win after throwing 3 int's, then I would say that's pretty good.

MetSox17
12-22-2009, 12:40 PM
But Smith is winning games. And if you find a way to win after throwing 3 int's, then I would say that's pretty good.

What games exactly, is he winning? He's 3-6 as a starter...

LonghornsLegend
12-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I was finally starting to like what I saw from Quinn, but I'm starting to question if he can finish a 16 game season though.

BigDawg819
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Just my opinion, but out of the lot I would take Matt Leinart everyday of the week. Yes he's had a lot of downs in Arizona, but frankly both parties are at fault there. He was not ready for the NFL coming out of the draft which is a damn shame on his part, but he was a legend at USC and coming to an at the time struggling team probably didn't help. Add in the mancrush they had on Warner once he got there, its almost like they wanted him to fail to serve as a warning.

The man just won at SoCal and had a great resume, and frankly I don't think it was sham. He needs an honest shot at running the team or another and I truly believe he will succeed. Give him a running game to lean on and cause play action and Matt will put points on the board.

Maybe I'm just blinded by my own mancrush on Leinart but hey I still think he can do it.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 01:01 PM
Just my opinion, but out of the lot I would take Matt Leinart everyday of the week. Yes he's had a lot of downs in Arizona, but frankly both parties are at fault there. He was not ready for the NFL coming out of the draft which is a damn shame on his part, but he was a legend at USC and coming to an at the time struggling team probably didn't help. Add in the mancrush they had on Warner once he got there, its almost like they wanted him to fail to serve as a warning.

The man just won at SoCal and had a great resume, and frankly I don't think it was sham. He needs an honest shot at running the team or another and I truly believe he will succeed. Give him a running game to lean on and cause play action and Matt will put points on the board.

Maybe I'm just blinded by my own mancrush on Leinart but hey I still think he can do it.

I have been pimping the idea of Matty running another team for a while (Carolina being my first choice) but bottom line is that Young is getting it done on the field right now, and even Smith has showed more than him.

BigDawg819
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I have been pimping the idea of Matty running another team for a while (Carolina being my first choice) but bottom line is that Young is getting it done on the field right now, and even Smith has showed more than him.

I'm not knocking VY or Alex at all, in fact I'm happy for both of them. Jeff Fischer better thank VY immensely for saving his job because he'd be unemployed without him. Alex finally seems to have a grasp on things and has a couple of weapons surrounding him.

I'm just stating my support for Leinart, and willing said I may be overzealous with that statement. If someone gears a team to suite him, I still think he'd be the star people thought he would be.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
I'm not knocking VY or Alex at all, in fact I'm happy for both of them. Jeff Fischer better thank VY immensely for saving his job because he'd be unemployed without him. Alex finally seems to have a grasp on things and has a couple of weapons surrounding him.

I'm just stating my support for Leinart, and willing said I may be overzealous with that statement. If someone gears a team to suite him, I still think he'd be the star people thought he would be.

I hope so too, if only because this image of him as a So Cal party boy has become too proliferated. He really is a leader and football player...somewhere. Probably not in Arizona though.

Xonraider
12-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Broncos play the Raiders and the Chiefs twice.

LOLLLLLLLLLLLL

TitanHope
12-22-2009, 02:49 PM
He just winz teh gamez.

And makes teh tacklez.

The funny thing is, the INT wasn't even his fault. It bounced off Scaife's hands, pinballed between him and a defender, and then Vontae Davis came in and caught it. Then VY laid him out, lol.

That couldn't be more false. Jeff Fisher owes Vince Young nothing. Last year, VY was a different player. He didn't put in the effort. He didn't put in the film study. He didn't commit to the offseason. He didn't commit to the team. His work ethic, discipline, and all around mental maturity wasn't there yet, and that became apparent when he got overwhelmed in the Jags game and refused to go back in when the coaches told him to. The events after that game are blown out of proportion, but during the game, VY showed that he wasn't ready to be the leader and QB of the football team.

After that stunt, VY had to earn his way back - and he's done so. Even VY himself has said that he's now working harder to develop his passing, master the playbook, watch film, and is taking his work home with him in order to master his craft. But even then, Fisher and the coaching staff weren't going to just give him the reigns again. Fortunately, Kerry Collins played poorly and the injury bug hit the defense. By the time the Bye week came around, the Titans were 0-6, and even though Bud Adams went public to voice his desire to start Vince Young, there was already communication between OC Mike Heimerdinger and Fisher to start VY. The defense got healthy, and VY got the start. He's been amazing ever since.

VY didn't save Fisher's job. If anything, he saved his own job. I said all VY needed to do was go 5-5 and he'd be the Titans QB of the future. Little did I know that he'd be 7-1 and actually have the Titans in the Playoff picture, although a faint picture. Fisher's job was safe. He's got a great standing with Bud Adams, and terminating Fisher's contract would've cost millions. Then, you have to find a new HC that could be an upgrade over Fisher, and that left few candidates - and all would require jumbo contracts. He wasn't goin' anywhere.

All in all, VY has done a tremendous job. But in the Titans's view, he's just making up for things. If the Titans had this VY last season, and not the one that broke down, instead of Kerry Collins, who knows what could have happened? They didn't invest a 3rd overall pick in him so that we'd get a late bloomer 4 years later. I'm just glad to have the real VY back.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
And makes teh tacklez.

The funny thing is, the INT wasn't even his fault. It bounced off Scaife's hands, pinballed between him and a defender, and then Vontae Davis came in and caught it. Then VY laid him out, lol.

That couldn't be more false. Jeff Fisher owes Vince Young nothing. Last year, VY was a different player. He didn't put in the effort. He didn't put in the film study. He didn't commit to the offseason. He didn't commit to the team. His work ethic, discipline, and all around mental maturity wasn't there yet, and that became apparent when he got overwhelmed in the Jags game and refused to go back in when the coaches told him to. The events after that game are blown out of proportion, but during the game, VY showed that he wasn't ready to be the leader and QB of the football team.

After that stunt, VY had to earn his way back - and he's done so. Even VY himself has said that he's now working harder to develop his passing, master the playbook, watch film, and is taking his work home with him in order to master his craft. But even then, Fisher and the coaching staff weren't going to just give him the reigns again. Fortunately, Kerry Collins played poorly and the injury bug hit the defense. By the time the Bye week came around, the Titans were 0-6, and even though Bud Adams went public to voice his desire to start Vince Young, there was already communication between OC Mike Heimerdinger and Fisher to start VY. The defense got healthy, and VY got the start. He's been amazing ever since.

VY didn't save Fisher's job. If anything, he saved his own job. I said all VY needed to do was go 5-5 and he'd be the Titans QB of the future. Little did I know that he'd be 7-1 and actually have the Titans in the Playoff picture, although a faint picture. Fisher's job was safe. He's got a great standing with Bud Adams, and terminating Fisher's contract would've cost millions. Then, you have to find a new HC that could be an upgrade over Fisher, and that left few candidates - and all would require jumbo contracts. He wasn't goin' anywhere.

All in all, VY has done a tremendous job. But in the Titans's view, he's just making up for things. If the Titans had this VY last season, and not the one that broke down, instead of Kerry Collins, who knows what could have happened? They didn't invest a 3rd overall pick in him so that we'd get a late bloomer 4 years later. I'm just glad to have the real VY back.

I definitely agree with this post and Young has done a terrific job but have a quirk with your last paragraph TH. Kerry Collins did a terrific job last year. After VY got injured/melted down the team could have gone into a 'woe is us' shell but somehow Kerry pulled out enough leadership and game to transform them into a strictly D/running and management team and the results were immediately apparent. #1 seed in the AFC, even though that seems like a while ago now. The playoff game was against a ferocious Baltimore team that could have beaten anybody on any given Sunday. Kerry deserves his props.

The Titans didn't expect to have a late bloomer 4 years later, but there's no doubting Young was a project when he was drafted. His RoY campaign set the bar high and frankly was a bit of a mirage: He employed natural talents, and relied on the parts around him, it didn't require a mastery of his position to go on that winning streak back in 06.

Now, he's had a setback, but ultimately if you showed me game tape of Vince Young today back in 06 and told me this is where he'd be at, I would say he's surpassed expectations if anything. Plus he's got a lot ahead of him. I give him a ton of props for saving his career and yes, probably saving Fisher's job too. No coach parades around in a rival's jersey saying he 'just wants to feel like a winner' unless he's not too enthusiastic about staying. Now? Better believe that Fisher is around for the long haul once more. That's patented Vince Young magic. I don't even like the guy but that's how it is IMO.

RealityCheck
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM
All four will. A-Smith is doing a pretty ok job this season, same with Young. Leinart will wait until Warner's retirement to strike and Quinn needs a better team overall.

descendency
12-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Alex Smith, easily.

If CJ breaks his leg, good bye VY.

Matt Leinart sucks and so does his work ethic. Brady Quinn just needs to get away from Cleveland.

abaddon41_80
12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Before this past Sunday I would have said that Smith was definitely outplaying Young but now it is not even close, with Young being much better this year.

TitanHope
12-22-2009, 03:28 PM
I definitely agree with this post and Young has done a terrific job but have a quirk with your last paragraph TH. Kerry Collins did a terrific job last year. After VY got injured/melted down the team could have gone into a 'woe is us' shell but somehow Kerry pulled out enough leadership and game to transform them into a strictly D/running and management team and the results were immediately apparent. #1 seed in the AFC, even though that seems like a while ago now. The playoff game was against a ferocious Baltimore team that could have beaten anybody on any given Sunday. Kerry deserves his props.

The Titans didn't expect to have a late bloomer 4 years later, but there's no doubting Young was a project when he was drafted. His RoY campaign set the bar high and frankly was a bit of a mirage: He employed natural talents, and relied on the parts around him, it didn't require a mastery of his position to go on that winning streak back in 06.

Now, he's had a setback, but ultimately if you showed me game tape of Vince Young today back in 06 and told me this is where he'd be at, I would say he's surpassed expectations if anything. Plus he's got a lot ahead of him. I give him a ton of props for saving his career and yes, probably saving Fisher's job too. No coach parades around in a rival's jersey saying he 'just wants to feel like a winner' unless he's not too enthusiastic about staying. Now? Better believe that Fisher is around for the long haul once more. That's patented Vince Young magic. I don't even like the guy but that's how it is IMO.

Not to mention, the FO never did any favors for VY regarding surrounding talent. He has an excellent OL, but that was it. In his rookie year, Travis Henry was the RB and he had a great season. The FO let him walk in the offseason, and LenDale White was the starter in '07. LenDale was overweight, and was no threat to break a long run. Just stick an extra man in the box occassionally, and force VY to throw. Who'd he have to throw to? His favorite target in '06 was Bobby Wade. The FO let him walk in FA too. VY's starting two WR's were Justin Gage and Eric Moulds. Roydell Williams and Brandon Jones were two midround youngsters who weren't difference makers. His TE was Bo Scaife, who wasn't anybody at that point.

He had nobody around him to make plays. Now, he's got CJ, who's instant offense. They drafted Kenny Britt in the 1st RD - FINALLY! A 1st RD WR. They added Nate Washington through FA, and brought in Alge Crumpler to pair with Scaife. They've also drafted Jared Cook, a receiving TE for the future. It's no longer all on VY, and I think that's helped him vastly.

I tell you what. I'm LOVIN' the 92.5 QB rating! :D

MetSox17
12-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Alex Smith, easily.

Matt Leinart sucks and so does his work ethic. Brady Quinn just needs to get away from Cleveland.

And who are the 9ers playing at RB these days?

Alex Smith is trash. Twelve interceptions in nine games. That's terrible.

abaddon41_80
12-22-2009, 05:56 PM
In his defense, Smith also has 16 touchdowns and a lot of his picks have been on tipped passes.

Stranger
12-22-2009, 07:37 PM

Pretty much everything I have heard about Leinart over the last few years is that he has worked very hard and handled being the back up quite well.

The only thing people ripped him for was when photos came out of him having a party during the offseason, which I always thought was overblown and ridiculous.

OzTitan
12-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Pretty much everything I have heard about Leinart over the last few years is that he has worked very hard and handled being the back up quite well.

The only thing people ripped him for was when photos came out of him having a party during the offseason, which I always thought was overblown and ridiculous.

Vince had the same perception until very recently (complete with party photo!). Obviously he didn't just start putting in the extra effort mid way through this season, it would have started some time ago after being benched. Leinart could be much the same, he just needs that opportunity to prove it.

Fans and evidently the media, as in Vince's case, don't *really* know what's going on behind the scenes. Both guys proved they initially weren't doing what was necessary to accelerate their development, but that shouldn't be held against them to this day after an event like being benched, where attitudes and efforts can change.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 07:50 PM
There are plenty of party photos of Kyle Orton but they have only expanded his rep.

LonghornsLegend
12-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I still can't get over how Leinart was inserted into a blowout game this year, and he couldn't even hold the league without throwing picks and getting pulled just to make sure he didn't blow the game.

At this point he still can't even handle a game with a huge lead, and Boldin and Fitz still playing? I don't know how that makes anyone confident about him.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 08:43 PM
I still can't get over how Leinart was inserted into a blowout game this year, and he couldn't even hold the league without throwing picks and getting pulled just to make sure he didn't blow the game.

At this point he still can't even handle a game with a huge lead, and Boldin and Fitz still playing? I don't know how that makes anyone confident about him.

He almost beat the undefeated Super Bowl bound Bears in 2006...stupid Hester...

They ended up being who we thought they were.

CashmoneyDrew
12-22-2009, 10:56 PM
Alex Smith, easily.

And Alex Smith wouldn't suffer a drop-off if Frank Gore got hurt?

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 10:58 PM

Don't even say that, he is playing the Lions this week in my championship game.

Ness
12-23-2009, 01:56 AM
Before this past Sunday I would have said that Smith was definitely outplaying Young but now it is not even close, with Young being much better this year.

So one game is going to change your opinion? Seriously? Vince Young hasn't really played against any powerhouses and won mind you.

abaddon41_80
12-23-2009, 07:21 AM
Don't get me wrong because I still like Smith but Young has been better overall this year.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-23-2009, 03:10 PM
Troy Smith if he gets the oppurtunity

RealityCheck
12-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I want to throw a name in this talk: Brodie Croyle. I do think he has starting potential if he works in his durability and gets the hell out of KC.

DoughBoy
12-23-2009, 05:00 PM
I want to throw a name in this talk: Brodie Croyle. I do think he has starting potential if he works in his durability and gets the hell out of KC.

All he'll ever be is a toothpick with a hot wife.

http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/Kelly%20Croyle.jpg

phlysac
12-23-2009, 07:12 PM

Interesting question...

In week 13 versus Seattle, Frank Gore had 25 rushing yards on 9 touches.

Take away the obvious drops (9), three of which were in the endzone, resulting in a total of 3 points...

Alex Smith would've been 36-45 350+ yards and 5 TDs.