PDA

View Full Version : Week 9 Write Up

BlindSite
11-08-2009, 10:47 PM
And then there were two
The New Orleans Saints and the Indianapolis Colts still stand alone atop the NFL as the only two undefeated teams in the league. Both continued their runs by squeaking out a win in tough fashion this week.

New Orleans struggled early against Carolina and the Panthers but for two blown coverages and some bad hands at the goal line looked like beating New Orleans for much of the game. Credit has to go to Drew Brees and the Saints defense who kept their composure through all four quarters and clearly buy into the guys around them and their head coaches plan to keep plugging away. The Saints are clearly the class of the NFC at this point, but the question has to be asked, just how long can their offense overcome such a porous run defense?

Indianapolis continued their roll of dominance during a tough contest with the Houston Texans. Dallas Clarke deserves much of the credit in this win as his 14 catches, many through traffic and in pivotal down and distance situations helped set the tone for the Colts offense. Looking ahead the Colts face New England, Baltimore and Houston over the next three weeks and these games should provide a realistic gauge of just how good this Indianapolis unit is and just might show us a preview of what we’ll see in the playoffs.

Raheem Morris and Josh Freeman
For weeks now Raheem Morris has been under criticism for not only his team’s performance but also his approach to preparing and coaching his team. Questions were raised almost weekly on the team’s decision to draft Josh Freeman in the first round. It wasn’t always efficient and it certainly wasn’t always pretty, but Freeman showed some definite poise, confidence and leadership ability especially when he lead his team downfield for the game winning score late in the fourth quarter.

Raheem Morris might not be the coach to build around for the Buccaneers future, but if Freeman continues down this path he’s began, he’ll certainly be the quarterback to build around.

Success in the NFL is not about passing, it’s about balance
During the offseason many prognosticators made airy statistical references and correlations to success no longer coming from running the ball, but instead through the passing game. It would appear however, that as it always has been for a team to be truly successful they must strike a balance of success between both the ground and aerial methods of moving the ball.

Much of the Saints success has been attributed to the running game and this week when they needed a strong, dominant drive in the fourth quarter much of the success game through Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas. Though the game tying score and field goal came on passes, the framework of the drives were all the running game.

Arizona turned in possibly their game of the season thus far and this was largely on the back of dominant performances from Hightower and Beanie Wells.

Jacksonville, Atlanta and Tennessee all found their rhythm running the ball and used a balanced attack to put points on the board. Sure the success of New England in 07 and the Saints lofty offensive numbers over the past few years have all come through the air, but the last successful franchises in terms of winning super bowls have come through balanced offensive attacks and based on the inability of teams that are one dimensional offensively to win games and win in the playoffs it’s a trend GMs and offensive coaches would do well to keep in mind.

DeAngelo Hall
I always thought DeAngelo Hall was classless back when he was in Altanta and never believed him to be the “shutdown” corner Atlanta fans constantly dribbled about. Lo and behold little over a season after his trade to Oakland he can barely get into the Redskins starting line up and appears more interested in righting imaginary wrongs against him. LaRon Landry’s hit was cheap, late and he deserved the reaction he got from the Atlanta sideline, but Hall had no business being involved. He rushed into the scene, and when the dust cleared he acted like the victim. You would think a guy who got traded for being a dumbass, who then got cut for being useless who then got trucked by Jake Delhomme on a key third down conversion, on a team coming last in their division, where his play has been largely ineffective would be a little more humble about running his mouth, I guess that’s DeAngelo Hall.

It all starts in the trenches
Today we saw two of the NFLs most promising young quarterbacks unable to keep their offense properly in the game through absolutely no fault of their own. Aaron Rogers just might be the best player regardless of position aged 25 or under, but twice in two weeks he’s been unable to stay upright. There are literally no flaws in his game, he’s accurate short, deep, and on intermediate routes, he’s more than sufficiently mobile, definitely tough and without a doubt is the unquestioned leader of his team, but if Green bay are going to keep him alive, let alone playing they have to find a way to protect him.

Aaron Rogers has been sacked 37 times this year, 12 of those sacks coming in just two weeks. In fact, as of writing this (before the Sunday night kick off) Aaron Rogers has been sacked just two less times in two weeks, than Donovan McNabb all year, yet Rogers still has a better quarterback rating. Teams need to build through the trenches, more than a running back, or a dominant set of receivers, offensive lines are key to a quarterback’s development and right now Green bay are failing in that area.

Matt Cassel knows this feeling all too well, after missing the opening game, he’s already the second most sacked quarterback in the NFL. Against Jacksonville he tasted turf three times facing what has been known almost all season as a virtually non-existent pass rush.

Sure the chiefs have issues up and down their line up, but with such a young core of players, they have to focus on protecting their quarterback and must find an answer to opposing pass rushers.

Cassel has shown a lot of promise a year removed from his break out season in New England. No longer is he surrounded by the nfl’s best passing weapons and no longer is his tutelage coming from some of the best coaches in the NFL, but like Rogers he’s progressing, he’s improving and he’s putting his team in position to win games.

The question remains, just how good would either of these players be behind a competent offensive line?

SchizophrenicBatman
11-08-2009, 10:51 PM
I think we know how good Cassel was with an offensive line

and while Rodgers' line sucks, he's not exactly Peyton Manning at getting rid of the ball

Bengalsrocket
11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Both Rodgers and Cassel are good QB's (not equal though) behind terrible offensive lines. But before we go destroying the careers of the guys blocking for them, let's at least acknowledge that both seem to hold the ball longer than they should.

I like both of these QB's a lot, and I'm not trying to bash either one, but both have trouble getting the ball out quickly. Maybe it's a system thing, a receiver things or it's their own fault, but they both do it.

BlindSite
11-08-2009, 10:55 PM

and while Rodgers' line sucks, he's not exactly Peyton Manning at getting rid of the ball
http://www.nfl.com/players/aaronrodgers/profile?id=ROD339293
http://www.nfl.com/players/peytonmanning/profile?id=MAN515097

Statistics would disagree, their performances have been pretty similar the last two years.

Failing that, not exactly being Peyton Manning is like saying someone is elusive but not exactly barry sanders. It's not really any kind of a gauge except to say they're not the best in the NFL, probably one of the best ever.

yo123
11-08-2009, 11:00 PM

Statistics would disagree, their performances have been pretty similar the last two years.

Failing that, not exactly being Peyton Manning is like saying someone is elusive but not exactly barry sanders. It's not really any kind of a gauge except to say they're not the best in the NFL, probably one of the best ever.

How often has Rodgers come through late in games? How many unnecessary sacks has he taken? His stats don't really accurately show his effectiveness imo. Sure he's a good quarterback, but he's nowhere even close to Peyton Manning's level.

MetSox17
11-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Does anyone have video of that LaRon Landry hit? And what exactly did Hall do? Someone fill me in plz, didn't watch that game.

TitanHope
11-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Does anyone have video of that LaRon Landry hit? And what exactly did Hall do? Someone fill me in plz, didn't watch that game.

He laid out to hit Ryan as he was stepping out of bounds on a scramble, which sent Ryan 10 yards out of bounds on Atlanta's side. Needless to say, the Falcons bench didn't like that, and a crowd gathered around Landry to get in his face. Out of nowhere, MeAngelo comes running in yelling at the Atlanta guys and just goes off. He's going ballistic, and eventually Mike Smith came over to try to get Hall back onto the field. Hall pretty much had to be physically forced by Smith and others.

Landry's shot was cheap, but that's the kind of player he's becoming. DeAngelo has always been...well, many things. ;)

brat316
11-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Payton Manning = Greatest how can you compare Rodgers to greatness.

Rodgers compared to Warner how about taht?

Shiver
11-08-2009, 11:17 PM
He laid out to hit Ryan as he was stepping out of bounds on a scramble, which sent Ryan 10 yards out of bounds on Atlanta's side. Needless to say, the Falcons bench didn't like that, and a crowd gathered around Landry to get in his face. Out of nowhere, MeAngelo comes running in yelling at the Atlanta guys and just goes off. He's going ballistic, and eventually Mike Smith came over to try to get Hall back onto the field. Hall pretty much had to be physically forced by Smith and others.

Landry's shot was cheap, but that's the kind of player he's becoming. DeAngelo has always been...well, many things. ;)

http://stratfordcharter.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/burnt_toast-724090.jpg

Auron
11-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I think the run Defense for the Saints will improve if/when we can get Sedrick Ellis, and Scott Fujita back in the lineup... it won't be amazing but right now we're having to overcompensate for those losses by bringing extra Defenders down into the box.. and I'm still seeing guys take really poor angles towards the ball carrier. To be fair though the past 2 weeks they've faced 2 of the best rushing attacks in the NFL facing Turner, and DeAngelo Williams/Stewart. It's such a nightmare having those backs in your division.

The bigger concern for me as a Saints fan is Offensively we're Turning the ball over way too much. I believe now we have 10 turnovers in the past 3 games? We are extremely fortunate to be able to battle back after committing that many turnovers. At times I love Payton and Brees' aggressive nature but you have to able to put it within the smart context of the game lately Drew Brees has been a little too cavalier, and he's audibling into more aggressive plays, and trying to make some throws into really tight windows. I think overall we have to be a little more patient, and sometimes take what is given.

So in short if we keep turning the football over, and putting the Defense in tough situations it will come back to bite us.

MetSox17
11-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Lulz, and the Redskins gave him 20 mil guaranteed.

RaiderNation
11-08-2009, 11:49 PM
DeAngelo is one of the most overrated CBs ever

NOLAFan
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
I think the run Defense for the Saints will improve if/when we can get Sedrick Ellis, and Scott Fujita back in the lineup... it won't be amazing but right now we're having to overcompensate for those losses by bringing extra Defenders down into the box.. and I'm still seeing guys take really poor angles towards the ball carrier. To be fair though the past 2 weeks they've faced 2 of the best rushing attacks in the NFL facing Turner, and DeAngelo Williams/Stewart. It's such a nightmare having those backs in your division.

The bigger concern for me as a Saints fan is Offensively we're Turning the ball over way too much. I believe now we have 10 turnovers in the past 3 games? We are extremely fortunate to be able to battle back after committing that many turnovers. At times I love Payton and Brees' aggressive nature but you have to able to put it within the smart context of the game lately Drew Brees has been a little too cavalier, and he's audibling into more aggressive plays, and trying to make some throws into really tight windows. I think overall we have to be a little more patient, and sometimes take what is given.

So in short if we keep turning the football over, and putting the Defense in tough situations it will come back to bite us.

This is beautiful. It sums up what is going on with the Saints. The defense is missing key pieces in Ellis and Fujita and the Saints offensive turnovers are definitely becoming a consistant presence on the field. Against a better team those turnover could be be devastating.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-09-2009, 12:08 AM

I was referring to getting rid of the ball quickly, something Manning is known for

I couldve used Tony Romo or any of a number of other QBs, I suppose

niel89
11-09-2009, 12:29 AM

BI0uJZqr9Us

I completely understand why the Falcon bench was upset. That was late and it was on their franchise qb.

Shiver
11-09-2009, 12:35 AM
BI0uJZqr9Us

I completely understand why the Falcon bench was upset. That was late and it was on their franchise qb.

The funny thing is Ryan and Landry just walked out like nothing happened, then three seconds later DeAngelo Hall runs in there for no reason.

vikes_28
11-09-2009, 12:51 AM
If the Packers had a franchise Tackle they would be destined for the NFCCG. Yes I said it.

yo123
11-09-2009, 12:57 AM
I disagree. Coming into the season I thought the Packers were going to give us a lot of trouble in the divisional race, but we need to stop pretending like they're good. They are more than one player away and haven't beat a good team all year.

Flyboy
11-09-2009, 01:33 AM
Why does Auron always still exactly what I'm thinking yet says it better than I do? He's a damn bastard.

SaintsMan
11-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Why does Auron always still exactly what I'm thinking yet says it better than I do? He's a damn bastard.

Yeah, I was about to type that until I saw his post. Lame.

Hopefully we get Ellis and Fujita back soon.

MidwayMonster31
11-09-2009, 01:51 AM
The Packers had their chances against the Vikings in Green Bay, but the Vikings mistakes were probably a bigger factor than the Packers executing. I don't think that the Packers are better than Dallas, Arizona, Philadelphia or Atlanta.
Even though Rodgers has been the highest rated passer in the league, sacks matter too. They set up 3rd and long, or put you out of field goal range. Lang has done a good job since being inserted into left tackle, but they need one more guy on the right side. Their defense is also transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4. I think that with offseason moves, they could be the favorite in the North next year (assuming Favres retires again).

Bengalsrocket
11-09-2009, 01:54 AM
DeAngelo is one of the most overrated CBs ever

who even rates DeAngelo anymore? I don't think anyone is giving this guy any respect, and rightfully so. He's not underrated or overrated, he's just bad and everyone knows it.

Flyboy
11-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I was about to type that until I saw his post. Lame.

Hopefully we get Ellis and Fujita back soon.

You do realize that we have the exact same avatar, right?

wicket
11-09-2009, 02:33 AM
BI0uJZqr9Us

impressive power, moving the pile by haynesworth, other than that, Hall is just an idiot.

Rosebud
11-09-2009, 02:47 AM

I think he's your guys' bbd which both sucks and is awesome.

Flyboy
11-09-2009, 02:48 AM
I think he's your guys' bbd which both sucks and is awesome.

I would say that that is fair and accurate description.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 03:12 AM
I was referring to getting rid of the ball quickly, something Manning is known for

I couldve used Tony Romo or any of a number of other QBs, I suppose

Fair enough, but that strikes me as a play calling issue, on consideration, something that's likely as big an issue as the line itself.

Stranger
11-09-2009, 03:44 AM
Fair enough, but that strikes me as a play calling issue, on consideration, something that's likely as big an issue as the line itself.

It seems as if the Packers passing game has changed quite a bit under Rodgers. What I remember with the last couple of years of Favre was quick passes and then lots of YAC. With Rodgers it seems like alot of it is looking for the intermediate and deep routes. That being said I do think Rodgers does hold onto the ball too long regardless of Oline struggles and play calls. I think alot of it comes down to making quick reads/decisions and a willingness to put the ball into tight windows rather than waiting for the recievers to get open.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 05:09 AM
It seems as if the Packers passing game has changed quite a bit under Rodgers. What I remember with the last couple of years of Favre was quick passes and then lots of YAC. With Rodgers it seems like alot of it is looking for the intermediate and deep routes. That being said I do think Rodgers does hold onto the ball too long regardless of Oline struggles and play calls. I think alot of it comes down to making quick reads/decisions and a willingness to put the ball into tight windows rather than waiting for the recievers to get open.

He is only like 24 games into his career, the foibles with the running game can't be helping either. Either way, what ever it's through, he needs to be better protected, regardless of his issues holding on to the ball. Roethlisberger has admitted openly he holds it too long and his sack number is 20 this year, 17 sacks is a huge difference.

Gay Ork Wang
11-09-2009, 07:13 AM
Bears suck.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-09-2009, 07:20 AM
BI0uJZqr9Us

Coach Smith is the man! He is the nicest guy you will ever meet. But wow, he flipped out, and rightly so!

diabsoule
11-09-2009, 08:19 AM

Party foul!

Dirk360
11-09-2009, 08:39 AM
cassel is exactly what i thought he was. a decent qb who needs a good offensive line.

Splat
11-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Bears suck.

As do the Chiefs.

T-RICH49
11-09-2009, 08:49 AM
cassel is exactly what i thought he was. a decent qb who needs a good offensive line.

Dennis Green?

nepg
11-09-2009, 09:10 AM

New England's line was **** last year.

Gay Ork Wang
11-09-2009, 09:19 AM
As do the Chiefs.
we suck more, never had a chance in the game

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 09:25 AM
someone rep blindsite for me.

Splat
11-09-2009, 09:27 AM
someone rep blindsite for me.

Done......

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I'm personally speechless about the Giants.

I felt like we gave that game away. We're finding ways to lose. We're a work in progress, but at 5-4, you can't be a work in progress.

It either has to come together now, or the season is over.

I am thoroughly impressed with SD's weapons on offense. The guys are so big and tall, even when theyre covered, theyre open. The Giants played that pass attack almost flawlessly, getting to Rivers and covering their guys. But their targets are just so big, Rivers just throws it up to them and they get it.

That passing game is deadly. Vincent Jackson is the new Plaxico Burress. Maybe better. He's a complete stud.

Just imagine if they get a run game going. That offense could be dynamic.

brat316
11-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Whats up with the Giants D line, they don't seem to play with the same intensity they did last year. Did loosing Steve Spags affect them that much?

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Whats up with the Giants D line, they don't seem to play with the same intensity they did last year. Did loosing Steve Spags affect them that much?

Well...

Yes, and no.

Yes, because Steve does a much better job at blitzing than Sheridan does, and did a much better job with line stunts, and moving guys around on the line to create matchup problems with the opposition's protections.

No, because Osi is not completely back yet (you can see it everytime he tries to rush inside and can't bullrush for crap and just stands there), Tuck still has that shoulder, and I think this week was the first time in awhile we had quality DT play.

Canty has made a HUGE different in our DT duo.

Not to mention, our DTs are worse now than they ever were before, minus Canty. With Canty now, I think our dline should improve tremendously. Which it did.

The entire defense played fine (minus CWeb surprisingly), its just that SD's targets are sooo big, you can defend them perfectly and still give up the big play bc they just have to throw it up there on single coverage.

Most of the time, bc their targets are so big, as long as you throw it up, they'll get it.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-09-2009, 09:53 AM
Believe me I think Landry has been an utter bust so far in his career, but I don't think the hit was as dirty as people say. It was a 3rd and 3, Landry was sprinting to stop Ryan who was near the marker and he hit him. It's not nearly as dirty as people perceive. If that's Josh Johnson no one gives a crap. What I don't understand though is why the hell Deangelo was in there. He said he went in there to pull out Landry but Landry left right away along with Ryan and no one confronted Landry. Landry and Ryan seemed to be cool with each other, because again it wasn't that dirty of a play if you are playing football and don't consider who it is being hit. Deangelo is a pssy who can't play football and I wish Mike Smith would have ripped his head off. Funny thing though is that I'm pretty sure Smith thought Deangelo was the one who hit Ryan.

Ravens1991
11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
The Ravens are pissing me off! No intensity at all on D we wont make the playoffs unless we get our act together. I doubt it happens

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Well...

Yes, and no.

Yes, because Steve does a much better job at blitzing than Sheridan does, and did a much better job with line stunts, and moving guys around on the line to create matchup problems with the opposition's protections.

No, because Osi is not completely back yet (you can see it everytime he tries to rush inside and can't bullrush for crap and just stands there), Tuck still has that shoulder, and I think this week was the first time in awhile we had quality DT play.

Canty has made a HUGE different in our DT duo.

Not to mention, our DTs are worse now than they ever were before, minus Canty. With Canty now, I think our dline should improve tremendously. Which it did.

The entire defense played fine (minus CWeb surprisingly), its just that SD's targets are sooo big, you can defend them perfectly and still give up the big play bc they just have to throw it up there on single coverage.

Most of the time, bc their targets are so big, as long as you throw it up, they'll get it.

I agree with this in general, but it must be said; don't confuse quality DT play with what you see when playing the Chargers. Our run blocking is literally nonexistent.

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 10:08 AM
I agree with this in general, but it must be said; don't confuse quality DT play with what you see when playing the Chargers. Our run blocking is literally nonexistent.

i'm very impressed with your weapons on offense. the makeup of that passing attack is deadly.

you guys just need to get that run game in order.

LizardState
11-09-2009, 11:31 AM
I thought the bench-emptying brawl at the Atlanta bench after the late hit by Landry was the big story of Wk. 8.
I always thought DeAngelo Hall was classless back when he was in Atlanta and never believed him to be the “shutdown” corner Atlanta fans constantly dribbled about. Lo and behold little over a season after his trade to Oakland he can barely get into the Redskins starting line up and appears more interested in righting imaginary wrongs against him. LaRon Landry’s hit was cheap, late and he deserved the reaction he got from the Atlanta sideline, but Hall had no business being involved. He rushed into the scene, and when the dust cleared he acted like the victim. You would think a guy who got traded for being a dumbass, who then got cut for being useless who then got trucked by Jake Delhomme on a key third down conversion, on a team coming last in their division, where his play has been largely ineffective would be a little more humble about running his mouth, I guess that’s DeAngelo Hall.

Yeah that's DeAngelo. I had to LOL at the iso on Haynesworth half-heartedly trying to get into the brawl, talking trash, all bluster & no action, unless there's a sucker punch opportunity. Now there's a dumbass who had no business being involved, especially with his history, last yr a dominant DT Pro Bowler clowning in Hawaii about wanting to be a high-priced FA (remember Manning throwing him that Colts helmet for the cameras? really bad theater), this yr both overrated & a fool. No Pro Bowl for you this yr. He isnt the 1st & won't be the last overrated player to take Snyder's millions & retire on the job. HC Smith looked like he lost it & went ballistic belligerent, but he saw last yr's RotYr take a cheap shot out of bounds right in front of him & his investment in his up & coming contender team jeopardized, I can't blame him. Did Landry get ejected? bet he gets fined bigtime -- I can't believe there werent more ejections.

More Wk. 8 rants:

Speaking of ejections, I think Tommie Harris punching a helpless Cardinal was like the Skins brawl, a product of frustration. Harris' is the frustration of realizing he is nowhere near the same Pro Bowl-quality player before his leg injury, & he can no longer live up to his hype.

Who's the best player now who was cut in the final release in September? How about Bernard Pollard for the Texans? 2 picks vs. Indy, one on Manning & one from Wayne on that HB/WR pass they love to run & used to beat the 9ers in wk.7. KC is absolutely awful, releasing a troubled & pissed off RB Larry Johnson, looking at drafting in the top 3-5 next April, I think they regret releasing Pollard, they could use him now.

Did anyone else think it ironic that Tampa Bay broke their winless streak while wearing those tangerine dreamsicle throwback unis? Those are the ones they wore when they were the 1st NFL team in the modern era to go winless in the 70s.

Everybody chuckled at Whisenhunt's "We didnt let them off the hook" parting shot at Denny Green in his postgame conference after pummeling Chicago & heating up the seat underneath Lovie Smith. Lots of pundits (me included) drank the Bears koolaid when they got Cutler, hasn't worked out well has it? We all thought they would own their division, but things happened, Cedric Benson, the RB they released, is thumbing his nose at them on his way to the Pro Bowl with Cincy, his replacement Forte isn't repeating his miraculous rookie yr, & their best d-lineman Tommie Harris isn't the same player after his injury that kept him from their SB loss & was booted from the Zona game early after punching a Cardinal in the face, cost him his gamecheck.

Best performance by a coaching staff for a W: The Dallas Cowboys staff & their much maligned playcalling. Romo, who threw for over 300 yds vs a very good Eagles defense, baited their corners with pump fakes & with their many WR screens earlier in the game. Those allowed the one Miles Austin catch for the difference-maker TD after the Philly corner jumped what he thought was a comeback route, & allowed the delay draw to Barber for their ball control game that ate the clock & sealed the win. Philly paid the price for being too predictable on defense & Dallas now owns the NFC East.

Pretty good for post #1000.

Dirk360
11-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Dennis Green?

just a black guy who likes football.

Dirk360
11-09-2009, 11:44 AM
New England's line was **** last year.

da heck? it wasnt crap, average but not crap. heck, its average this year but you got the qb back who redirects the protection and gets rid of the ball at an elite level.

d34ng3l021
11-09-2009, 12:26 PM
I can't believe I made my username dedicated to DeAngelo Hall. How pathetic (speaking of which, i need to get it changed). He had all the talent in the world but was unable to fully utilize it to be a great CB. I always thought he was going to mature because he came into the league at the age of 20/21, but it never happened with the Falcons. He seems to have become more of a consistent cover CB with the Redskins, but those emotional problems are still there. He had no reason to run to the Falcons sideline, especially when it was his teammate doing the late hitting. Not only did he do that, but he intends on complaining to the league (commish?) about Mike Smith putting his hand on him in a 'harmful' manner. What. A. Little. *****. That is all he is now.

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2009, 01:09 PM
How often has Rodgers come through late in games? How many unnecessary sacks has he taken? His stats don't really accurately show his effectiveness imo. Sure he's a good quarterback, but he's nowhere even close to Peyton Manning's level.

The dude hasn't even started for two full seasons yet... Yea he may not be Payton but give the guy some credit. He doesn't have the monster O-Line that you have... nor the best running back in the league but i could guarantee that if he was put in Favre's shoes now he would be doing just as well if not better.

Rosebud
11-09-2009, 01:41 PM

This comment is so funny. "who needs a good offensive line" that's just gold, especially because you say it as though every QB who isn't peyton or brady doesn't also need a good offensive line, I mean it's not like the packers haven't fallen out of contention in their division because their ol is terrible, or the bears haven't been completely incapable of running the ball because of how shoddy their OL is, or Big Ben hasn't racked up sacks for his career because of a weak OL, or Matt Schaub gotten flattened because his line in houston has been atrocious for much of his tenure.

Borat
11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
I can't believe I made my username dedicated to DeAngelo Hall. How pathetic (speaking of which, i need to get it changed).

m4tty1c3.

Done.

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 03:25 PM
m4tty1c3.

Done.

Bam! johnny on the spot.

BBD our running attack is hopeless unfortunately. Mruckowski can't get a push, Vasquez is a stellar pass protector but hasn't figured out run blocking yet. I'm convinced Jeromey Clary is AJ's way of getting back at Rivers for holding out in 04. Dielman is not getting much push either. All in all a shakeup is needed, beyond just getting Hardwick back. They do get some good pass protection going most of the time though, so the playcalling needs to reflect it. Running this season has literally just been a waste of a down.

SaintsMan
11-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Yeah, I changed it right after the Miami game. I did check the Saints board and nobody else had it. I wanted to make sure before I made it my avatar.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-09-2009, 03:47 PM
He is only like 24 games into his career, the foibles with the running game can't be helping either. Either way, what ever it's through, he needs to be better protected, regardless of his issues holding on to the ball. Roethlisberger has admitted openly he holds it too long and his sack number is 20 this year, 17 sacks is a huge difference.

If there was a stat for sacks broken, it wouldn't surprise me if Ben led the league in that by a wide margin. When you're a giant who can move like him, you don't need to get rid of the ball the way a Manning or Brady does. How many times do you see a defender get their hand on Ben only to have him run through it? He's damn great at that. Rodgers, ehh not so much. The Packers OL is awful, but Rodgers does suck at avoiding sacks. He's absolutely phenomenal otherwise, but that's his weakness.

yo123
11-09-2009, 04:15 PM
The dude hasn't even started for two full seasons yet... Yea he may not be Payton but give the guy some credit. He doesn't have the monster O-Line that you have... nor the best running back in the league but i could guarantee that if he was put in Favre's shoes now he would be doing just as well if not better.

First of all when did I bring Favre or the Vikings into this? And I understand your line sucks, but there is no doubt that Rodgers has to take some of the blame for the sacks. You can't hold on to the ball for that long and expect the pressure not to get to you.

And I did give him credit, I said he was a good QB, I simply said he wasn't on Peyton's level which is clearly true. I don't understand how saying that he isn't as good as the best QB in the game is a slight to him at all.

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM
First of all when did I bring Favre or the Vikings into this? And I understand your line sucks, but there is no doubt that Rodgers has to take some of the blame for the sacks. You can't hold on to the ball for that long and expect the pressure not to get to you.

And I did give him credit, I said he was a good QB, I simply said he wasn't on Peyton's level which is clearly true. I don't understand how saying that he isn't as good as the best QB in the game is a slight to him at all.

Your right about the Favre thing i was just stating that... same with ever other QB that has a line. Maybe i was just a little bitter idk lol.

Well to say he isnt anywhere near Payton's level is an overstatement... i mean hes clearly not as good as Payton right now but hes still young and learning. Payton back in the day wasn't the Payton as we know him... or back then Brett Favre.

He does hold on to the ball a tad to long i give you that but i cant blame him 100% on that. The play calling this year hasn't been all that
great and it seems like were going for the home run play after play

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 06:08 PM

Come on now, this is getting ridiculous, the issue on Rogers part is that from time to time, when his receivers don't come open or are covered he has a tendency to hold on to the ball too long instead of looking for a check down or throwing it away and this causes the occasional sack.

That is his issue.

You're making it sound as if he holds on to the ball until he's sacked on every play which just isn't the case. There's more than enough times he's taken short routes, or the underneath stuff as well. It's not as if his holding the ball in some instances is causing the problems on the offense, because that simply isn't the case.

yo123
11-09-2009, 06:11 PM
Come on now, this is getting ridiculous, the issue on Rogers part is that from time to time, when his receivers don't come open or are covered he has a tendency to hold on to the ball too long instead of looking for a check down or throwing it away and this causes the occasional sack.

That is his issue.

You're making it sound as if he holds on to the ball until he's sacked on every play which just isn't the case. There's more than enough times he's taken short routes, or the underneath stuff as well. It's not as if his holding the ball in some instances is causing the problems on the offense, because that simply isn't the case.

I never said he does it on every play, or that he's entirely to blame. But he does do it a fair amount and he needs to learn to get the ball out quicker. The offensive line is more to blame, but some of the blame needs to go to Rodgers. I think even most Packer fans acknowledge this.

ImBrotherCain
11-09-2009, 06:30 PM
I never said he does it on every play, or that he's entirely to blame. But he does do it a fair amount and he needs to learn to get the ball out quicker. The offensive line is more to blame, but some of the blame needs to go to Rodgers. I think even most Packer fans acknowledge this.

Yea we do but as i stated earlier and Blindside touched on... better play calling would help greatly