PDA

View Full Version : Dungy: Vick could end up with Bills

Starvsnr
11-09-2009, 02:03 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4636199

NEW YORK -- Tony Dungy says Michael Vick could potentially wind up in Buffalo, which he says previously discussed signing the quarterback.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alGXs4jf1IY&feature=related

It was snowing in that video....

brat316
11-09-2009, 02:07 AM
That was a cool nike commercial at the time....actually is still is pretty good.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 02:13 AM
I thought buffalo wanted to start winning games.

Rosebud
11-09-2009, 02:53 AM
I thought buffalo wanted to start winning games.

I think Vick's biggest contribution to the team would be pushing Edwards to forget about his concussion and stop checking down. The kid was looking like such a nice young quarterback before that concussion, I know he can still be a good QB, the question is how to get there and it might be easier just to start with a new guy but I think someone like Vick and the circus he would bring would really take the pressure off of Trent and let him get used to being a quarterback again.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 03:14 AM
I think Vick's biggest contribution to the team would be pushing Edwards to forget about his concussion and stop checking down. The kid was looking like such a nice young quarterback before that concussion, I know he can still be a good QB, the question is how to get there and it might be easier just to start with a new guy but I think someone like Vick and the circus he would bring would really take the pressure off of Trent and let him get used to being a quarterback again.

The Bills are weak from coach to assistants to personnel on both sides of the ball. IMO they need to be gutted and rebuilt, there's a decent nucleus at certain positions to build around, they just need a better coach and some better players at other positions.

Edwards needs coaching at this point imo, not really a veteran who isn't a good passer to "push" him. I think having Vick there would do something of stunting his development.

redbills
11-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Just like the T.O signing it will be to sell tickets.

Brothgar
11-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Why does anyone care about Mike Vick anymore? He's done diddley poo in Philly

redbills
11-09-2009, 09:57 AM
The Bills are weak from coach to assistants to personnel on both sides of the ball. IMO they need to be gutted and rebuilt, there's a decent nucleus at certain positions to build around, they just need a better coach and some better players at other positions.

Edwards needs coaching at this point imo, not really a veteran who isn't a good passer to "push" him. I think having Vick there would do something of stunting his development.

I think the DC Fewell and ST April (not doing to good this year though) are the only good coaches on the team, might throw in Bob Sanders too the DL coach.

You also need to add in everyone on the team gets hurt every year too. We are always the top team in guys on IR.

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I think Dungy has gone subtly insane, and no one has realized it.

DexterM
11-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Why does anyone care about Mike Vick anymore? He's done diddley poo in Philly

Uggh. They put him in on designed runs up the middle, or to throw the ball once every two games or so. Then when he isn't in a rhythm for OBVIOUS reasons, people say he isn't doing anything.

I'm not saying Vick is going to be great, but it's not like Philly has put him in any position to actually succeed when he goes in. For us to truly get any look of how he is, he would need to get 10-15 snaps a game in normal packages, which the eagles won't do.

I've never understood how people who like football enough to sign up on a forum, apparently STILL know nothing when it comes to football. It boggles my mind.

vidae
11-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Vick will not make this team better.

Brothgar
11-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Uggh. They put him in on designed runs up the middle, or to throw the ball once every two games or so. Then when he isn't in a rhythm for OBVIOUS reasons, people say he isn't doing anything.

I'm not saying Vick is going to be great, but it's not like Philly has put him in any position to actually succeed when he goes in. For us to truly get any look of how he is, he would need to get 10-15 snaps a game in normal packages, which the eagles won't do.

I've never understood how people who like football enough to sign up on a forum, apparently STILL know nothing when it comes to football. It boggles my mind.

UGGH. I wonder WHY Vick doesn't get 10-15 snaps a game with normal packages. Cuz you know he's good enough to get those snaps but there is some huge conspiracy against him. Must be it. I mean when I say he hasn't done anything I MUST be talking about his on field play as oppose to you know actually forcing the issue and doing things that would wanna make the team want to put him on the field more.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 10:17 AM
Vick will not make this team better.

I don't think he will make any team better. Actually, maybe the Browns.

DexterM
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
UGGH. I wonder WHY Vick doesn't get 10-15 snaps a game with normal packages. Cuz you know he's good enough to get those snaps but there is some huge conspiracy against him. Must be it. I mean when I say he hasn't done anything I MUST be talking about his on field play as oppose to you know actually forcing the issue and doing things that would wanna make the team want to put him on the field more.

Where did I say there was any conspiracy? He is playing behind a top 10 QB, and he is in his first year back. OBVIOUSLY they aren't going to give Vick many snaps at all. That would be ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as trying to make any judgement on Vick based on how he's played so far in packages that aren't conducive to his success.

I love how people with no argument create random banter to try and simply change the subject.

Brothgar
11-09-2009, 10:26 AM
Where did I say there was any conspiracy? He is playing behind a top 10 QB, and he is in his first year back. OBVIOUSLY they aren't going to give Vick many snaps at all. That would be ridiculous.

Almost as ridiculous as trying to make any judgement on Vick based on how he's played so far in packages that aren't conducive to his success.

I love how people with no argument create random banter to try and simply change the subject.

Firstly then what I said was true then wasn't it? He hasn't done anything has he? Not to mention he wasn't that good BEFORE he went to jail. So, what gives you any faith at all that he is going to be any good now?

DiG
11-09-2009, 10:43 AM
considering that lack of decent free agent qbs this upcoming offseason he could be move valued than most people think. with penningtons age and injury concerns hes almost as much a risk as vick and vick obviously has more upside. the only other decent options out there are campbell and culpepper. campbell is the only one that will require a decent contract.

based on the skins situation on the offensive line, a mobile qb like vick would be better off than a strictly pocket passer and would allow the team to focus on drafting olineman this year.

Brothgar
11-09-2009, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry I didn't fully address your point. You didn't say it was a conspiracy But what you are saying is that they are putting him out there in situations that are not geared towards him having any success then why put him out there in the first place AND why not put him in a situation for him to do anything. Which makes me conclude he hasn't done anything in practice or during a game which is why I made my first statement. He also didn't play when this 'Top 10 QB' was injured just saying. Maybe we can't judge on what he did this season but he was never that great to begin with.

Go_Eagles77
11-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Good luck with that. I love how Vick hints at the fact that he should be getting more touches, but has done absolutely nothing to show why he deserves it. I actually think the eagles feel obligated to give him a couple snaps a game, even though snapping it directly to DeSean Jackson would both be more effective and scarier to opposing defenses.

BufFan71
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM

no, trent has ALWAYS been a checkdown QB...

Bills fans just never cared because he wasnt JP Losman at the time. Back then Bills fans would love any QB thats name wasnt Losman. Now that he hasnt improved at all in his 3 year career, people NOW are tired of his scared play, and his inabilites to make plays...

SuperKevin
11-09-2009, 12:19 PM
I will give the Bills my season ticket money to NOT sign Mike Vick.

Brent
11-09-2009, 12:22 PM
I will give the Bills my season ticket money to NOT sign Mike Vick.
at least the Sabers arent bad?

SuperKevin
11-09-2009, 12:23 PM
at least the Sabers arent bad?

I don't like hockey but if I did I'd be a Caps fan.

Rosebud
11-09-2009, 01:29 PM

They've got a few good coaches but you're right, the guys at the top are terrible and that trickles down. I thought they should've replaced Jauron either of the past two offseasons.

no, trent has ALWAYS been a checkdown QB...

Bills fans just never cared because he wasnt JP Losman at the time. Back then Bills fans would love any QB thats name wasnt Losman. Now that he hasnt improved at all in his 3 year career, people NOW are tired of his scared play, and his inabilites to make plays...

That's just not true though, he didn't have the "**** it I'm going deep to Evans" mentality Losman had, but that didn't mean he was captain checkdown. The kid moved the ball and made good throws and reads, he just didn't go deep very often because he doesn't have a big arm and is more accurate working short to intermediate routes. And he was improving steadily until that concussion, he's stagnated at that point and become more scared out there. He needs to shake that and rebuild his confidence and he'll start progressing again. But hey, if the bills want to cut him the giants are going to need someone to replace Carr soon and I wouldn't mind our staff making Trent their next reclamation project.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM
Vick sucks. He has lost his explosiveness.

BufFan71
11-09-2009, 02:47 PM
That's just not true though, he didn't have the "**** it I'm going deep to Evans" mentality Losman had, but that didn't mean he was captain checkdown. The kid moved the ball and made good throws and reads, he just didn't go deep very often because he doesn't have a big arm and is more accurate working short to intermediate routes. And he was improving steadily until that concussion, he's stagnated at that point and become more scared out there. He needs to shake that and rebuild his confidence and he'll start progressing again. But hey, if the bills want to cut him the giants are going to need someone to replace Carr soon and I wouldn't mind our staff making Trent their next reclamation project.

I've watched every Bills game since (i believe 2003)

trent has always had the same mentality.. he just looks worst now because he isnt getting 5-6 seconds in the pocket like he was his rookie year

Babylon
11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Has Tony Dungy adopted this guy or what? Hey Tony nobody seems to want to give Matt Jones another chance why not take him under your wing?

SuperKevin
11-09-2009, 03:39 PM
Has Tony Dungy adopted this guy or what? Hey Tony nobody seems to want to give Matt Jones another chance why not take him under your wing?

Don't give danzing anything else to talk about

Babylon
11-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Don't give danzing anything else to talk about

That's why i hid it over here.:)

Vox Populi
11-09-2009, 03:53 PM

trent has always had the same mentality.. he just looks worst now because he isnt getting 5-6 seconds in the pocket like he was his rookie year

From another Bills fan, you've got a revisionist view on Edwards' history as a passer. He was making good throws that were behind the first down line before that concussion. His passes weren't 30+ yard bombs, but he had a lot more 10-20 yard completions from the start of last year than he has since and the offensive line wasn't even that great at the time other than the Seahawks game. For those weeks we were all wanting to put Peters' head on a stake because of his terrible pass pro. Our line was good at run blocking though. Trent was fine until the concussion, and he really turned into captain checkdown after the 1st quarter of the Monday night game last year when we played the Browns. Thats when it first got BAD. I was at that game, he through 3 INT's in the first quarter and then from then on, every pass was a check down to Lynch or someone else short other than a couple of passes about 20-25 yards down the middle to Stevie Johnson.

So, he was fine until Adrian Wilson lit him up and caused that concussion, started playing with no confidence after that, through 3 INT's against the Browns and then lost all of his swagger and turned into captain check down. Hes been the same ever since, and I actually think he would be better at not checking down if we didn't have Owens on the team this year because he has gone deep to Owens at least 3 times where its been a nearly perfect throw that Owens just completely dropped. Edwards seems to still have a decent deep ball when he throws it from the Bills end of the field, but when the field gets shorter, and he goes deeper towards the goal line it seems to get picked off most of the time.

For the Bills, I'd rather them fix up the rest of the roster before picking up a legit franchise quarterback and if the team wants to pick up Vick to bring some excitement and sell some tickets while they rebuild the foundation of the roster, I'd be fine with that as a fan.

Rosebud
11-09-2009, 04:46 PM

And I've watched each of Trent's starts until this season. Sure he's never focused on attack teams deep, but he threw in the 10-20 yard range fairly consistently and pretty well. He doesn't even do that any more and just seems scared since being hurt and having a ****** OL.

Edit: Vox writing the same thing in greater depth and detail.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 06:10 PM
And I've watched each of Trent's starts until this season. Sure he's never focused on attack teams deep, but he threw in the 10-20 yard range fairly consistently and pretty well. He doesn't even do that any more and just seems scared since being hurt and having a ****** OL.

Edit: Vox writing the same thing in greater depth and detail.

I still think that's more of a coaching issue that necessarily his issue. He's been conditioned to panic when no one is open, or to look for the easy completion.

Statistically it's more likely to achieve third down success than throwing it past the down marker anyway, so it could be the result of some stupid offensive assistant designing plays for shorter routes trying to get the WRs and Backs in space.

I don't know, but Vick certainly would not be an upgrade. You'd get a downgrade as a passer.

PoopSandwich
11-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't think he will make any team better. Actually, maybe the Browns.

this would be awesome, it would at least be more exciting than what we have, and at the same time, everyone would flip out about Vick playing in front of the dawg pound.

Bucs_Rule
11-09-2009, 06:39 PM
Vick is a running QB who's getting up in years. Vick hasn't shown the same burst this season, but that could just be due to rust. Even if its not his explosiveness should start dropping off at his age.

I cant see Vick leading a team to the SuperBowl and with each passing year his running ability will keep declining. I could see him being a decent stop-gag QB for a team like Washington until they draft a QB of the future.

Nalej
11-09-2009, 06:43 PM
everyone would flip out about Vick playing in front of the dawg pound.

hahahahahaha

Shiver
11-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Finally Lee Evans would have someone who could hit him in stride.

BufFan71
11-09-2009, 08:49 PM
From another Bills fan, you've got a revisionist view on Edwards' history as a passer. He was making good throws that were behind the first down line before that concussion. His passes weren't 30+ yard bombs, but he had a lot more 10-20 yard completions from the start of last year than he has since and the offensive line wasn't even that great at the time other than the Seahawks game. For those weeks we were all wanting to put Peters' head on a stake because of his terrible pass pro. Our line was good at run blocking though. Trent was fine until the concussion, and he really turned into captain checkdown after the 1st quarter of the Monday night game last year when we played the Browns. Thats when it first got BAD. I was at that game, he through 3 INT's in the first quarter and then from then on, every pass was a check down to Lynch or someone else short other than a couple of passes about 20-25 yards down the middle to Stevie Johnson.

So, he was fine until Adrian Wilson lit him up and caused that concussion, started playing with no confidence after that, through 3 INT's against the Browns and then lost all of his swagger and turned into captain check down. Hes been the same ever since, and I actually think he would be better at not checking down if we didn't have Owens on the team this year because he has gone deep to Owens at least 3 times where its been a nearly perfect throw that Owens just completely dropped. Edwards seems to still have a decent deep ball when he throws it from the Bills end of the field, but when the field gets shorter, and he goes deeper towards the goal line it seems to get picked off most of the time.

For the Bills, I'd rather them fix up the rest of the roster before picking up a legit franchise quarterback and if the team wants to pick up Vick to bring some excitement and sell some tickets while they rebuild the foundation of the roster, I'd be fine with that as a fan.

during that 4-0 start he wasnt that impressive either

in those games they played
the seahawks
Jaguars (who we had to comeback and beat)
Raiders (had to comeback and beat)
The Rams (who we were losing to till the 4th quarter

lets look at the fact that he doesnt make any plays...

in his rookie year he threw 7tds in 10 games
4 tds came in 1 game agains the 1-15 dolphins
so he threw 3tds in 9games

last year he threw 10 tds in 14 games
he played dreadfully in the end of the season

this year hes throws 5 tds and 6 ints

he threw 4tds in two games... so that means hes throw 1 td and 5 ints in his last 4 starts..

the guy isnt a franchise QB... anytime u have to worry about yur QB playing scared, and not making plays.. hes not a franchise qb

vikes_28
11-09-2009, 11:34 PM
This will not make the Bills any better. Sorry Bills fans. Develop Edwards. Don't let him checkdown all the time. I was really hoping Edwards would take the Bills places.

Iamcanadian
11-09-2009, 11:36 PM

The Bills problems begin and end with the owner who simply isn't rich enough to provide the resources to have a competitive team. the Bills have basically stunk since FA was introduced by the NFL.
The Bills practically never retain their top FA's and their fans have to put up with an endless exodus of stars out of town as FA's.
Fans in Buffalo are getting bored with Wilson inability or unwillingness to build a winner because he won't spend a whole lot of money and Wilson is signing players like TO to keep fans buying tickets. If he signs Vick, it will be for the same purpose. He already has sold a # of home games to Toronto to add to his revenue but it hasn't provided enough.
As for the coaches and the management team, their is no HC or GM that could turn this franchise into a winner and blaming them for the team's failure is a complete waste of time. Do you really believe it was their decision to let their all pro LT go in a trade. How does anyone expect a QB to develop with an OL built on the cheap. Year after year, Buffalo is forced to use the draft to replace FA's who have walked instead of using it to improve the other weak areas on the team.
This is another dead franchise in the NFL along with Oakland, Detroit and Cleveland who all have little chance of ever being champion. They all have owners who appear incapable of winning much of anything.

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 11:40 PM
The last thing the Bills need at this point is Vick anyway. They should be getting back to Vegas, especially with a guy like Marshawn to pound the rock for a few years. Build the lines, develop a QB, and stay the hell away from sideshows like TO and Vick. That's the only way back to legitimacy.

Brent
11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
dear Tony Dungy,

We get it. You really like Michael Vick. That doesnt mean he is an NFL starter any more.

Thanks,
Brent

BufFan71
11-10-2009, 06:18 AM
The last thing the Bills need at this point is Vick anyway. They should be getting back to Vegas, especially with a guy like Marshawn to pound the rock for a few years. Build the lines, develop a QB, and stay the hell away from sideshows like TO and Vick. That's the only way back to legitimacy.

Build the lines--- we've got 3 rookies starting, and a 2nd year "rookie" at LT
we need another DT but Kyle Williams and Stroud are good enough

The BIlls need a legit QB in order to become a legit team.
we've tried trading for an up and comer (rob johnson)
we've tried trading for a vet (bledsoe)
We've tried drafting the project QB (losman)
and we've tried the late round player (Edwards)
time to give the Big time QB prospect a shot (trade up and get the best QB in the draft)

no QB will ever succeed as long as Dick Jauron is the Head coach. Ralph Wilson as of right now is a Joke of an Owner

Bucs_Rule
11-10-2009, 09:10 AM
I don't think Dungy should tell people if a team had interest in Vick. QBs can be fickle when it comes to confidence, knowing management considered bringing in someone else can hurt confidence and cause a distraction. Now all the players will get asked how they'd like it if they had a different QB.