PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs cutting Larry Johnson

vidae
11-09-2009, 09:34 AM
As per the KCChiefs website and PFT, Larry Johnson has been cut.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/09/chiefs-will-be-cutting-larry-johnson/

But since the Chiefs can't send him home with pay for the rest of the year, they're planning to simply send him home.

Per a league source, the Chiefs will be cutting Johnson today.

Todd Haley and Scott Pioli will be holding a press conference at 3:30 today.

I knew today was going to be a good day.

Splat
11-09-2009, 09:35 AM
Best Day Ever!!!

vidae
11-09-2009, 09:38 AM
This is AMAZING news. He won't break the record either. :D

T-RICH49
11-09-2009, 09:42 AM
wow this is the best I've felt after a L :D

FuzzyGopher
11-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Dan Snyder will give him 200 million to come to D.C.

Wow I didn't realize he is going to be 30 this month, he should of kept his mouth shut and collected those big ass checks while he could.

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
It was inevitable.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 10:19 AM
No surprise here. Real question is: Does New England sign him?

2 Live Crew
11-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Damn...way to grow a pair KC...I respect that

Splat
11-09-2009, 10:57 AM
If NE wants his 2.7 YAC more power to them.

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 10:59 AM
I can't help but think that with a different team, he can do well again.

For a year at least, before his diva attitude does him in.

The guy can still run, he just has no holes to run through. He's still over the hill though.

He won't ever be the old LJ. But he can still be solid. This was a necessary move by KC. They need to weed out the garbage.

Splat
11-09-2009, 11:02 AM
I can't help but think that with a different team, he can do well again.

http://i33.tinypic.com/9awlxk.jpg

bigbluedefense
11-09-2009, 11:08 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/9awlxk.jpg

i don't see whats so crazy about that. i've seen him play. he still has the vision and power.

he just needs holes.

he's terrible in pass protection and catching the ball, but he's always been terrible at that.

im not saying he's going to be Peterson on a different team, but i do think he'll do a lot better than 2.7 ypc.

Nobody you throw back there will do good. You've seen that already. You saw it yesterday.

vidae
11-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Jamaal Charles and Kolby Smith were a hell of a lot more impressive yesterday, especially since Smith hadn't played for a year after a serious knee injury. Larry might be an okay back on a team with a very good OL and some serious receiving weapons, but realistically he is garbage and has been for years.

It isn't all our OLs fault, though they can shoulder some of the blame, but when he doesn't try and gives no effort it shows, and it shows in his 2.7 average.

Splat
11-09-2009, 11:16 AM
If I had a dollar for every time LJ just ran in to the back of his OL and fell down I would be a rich man.

The Chiefs do have the worst OL in the NFL but Jamaal Charles has had 5 YPC behing that same line.

They did move the ball on the ground yesterday when they actually tried but since Todd Haley hates the running game JC only got the ball 6 times.

T-RICH49
11-09-2009, 11:20 AM
They did move the ball on the ground yesterday when they actually tried but since Todd Haley hates the running game JC only got the ball 6 times.

this this and more this

AJHawk50
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Woooooooooo!!!

CC.SD
11-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Woooooooooo!!!

Your avi is weirding me out a little bit.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 11:58 AM
The Chiefs do have the worst OL

Packers say what's up.

Brent
11-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Packers say what's up.
then you havent watched a Niners game

General Zod
11-09-2009, 12:36 PM
C.J. Spiller to KC in the first round?

T-RICH49
11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
C.J. Spiller to KC in the first round?

doubtful.maybe a guy like Jon Dwyer in the 2nd.I'd go Okung or Berry

vidae
11-09-2009, 12:41 PM
doubtful.maybe a guy like Jon Dwyer in the 2nd.I'd go Okung or Berry

This. We'll have a top 5 pick. I don't see a RB worthy of that. Dwyer in the 2nd I could see easily.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 12:56 PM
then you havent watched a Niners game

Not in it's entirety but I've watched 8 Packers games and find it hard to believe that any other line is worse. I'll take your word for it, though. I can settle for 31st best offensive line.

Splat
11-09-2009, 01:23 PM
Even with two second round picks I don't see RB being that big of a need to use one of those picks on a RB.

That said if a guy we had rated as a first round pick falls ok but I don't want to see any reaching.

JRTPlaya21
11-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Dan Snyder will give him 200 million to come to D.C.

Wow I didn't realize he is going to be 30 this month, he should of kept his mouth shut and collected those big ass checks while he could.

I hope to God not lol.

vikes_28
11-09-2009, 02:04 PM
I want him on the Vikings.

niel89
11-09-2009, 04:31 PM
Why? the Vikings have two great backs already.

I also think that he could be a good runner on another team. Id maybe still take him over McGahee.

Saints-Tigers
11-09-2009, 05:08 PM
I hope to God not lol.

http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/14486/20091109/redskins_already_interested_in_larry_johnson/

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Why? the Vikings have two great backs already.

I also think that he could be a good runner on another team. Id maybe still take him over McGahee.

why would you do that especially with all the character issues that come with L.J. He has nothing of his old self. McGahee on the other hand started the season hot and the only reason his production has disappeared is because Ray Rice is a freaking STUD, and you still don't hear a peep of complaining or whining from McGahee. I think Harbaugh's really turned him around.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Personally, I think he's washed up. He may have a good game here or there, but he's not worth erasing the thought of needing to address the RB situation. ...if you know what I mean. In other words, I hope the team that gets him doesn't cross RB off their need list. They might pass up on someone who could infinitely better help their team.

Shiver
11-09-2009, 05:24 PM
The teams that needs him is New England, Green Bay, Houston (?). Put him on a winning team, with a decent O-Line, and watch him run with that power and anger.

Corey Dillon 2.0

SuperKevin
11-09-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks like a strong candidate for UFL rookie of the year in 2010

Paul
11-09-2009, 05:33 PM
http://football.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/14486/20091109/redskins_already_interested_in_larry_johnson/

Amazing news.

vidae
11-09-2009, 05:55 PM
The teams that needs him is New England, Green Bay, Houston (?). Put him on a winning team, with a decent O-Line, and watch him run with that power and anger.

Corey Dillon 2.0

He doesn't run with power or anger anymore. He barely shows up. The team that gets him also needs to have a strong coach to wade through all the ******** that is LJ. Good luck to whoever signs him.

Shiver
11-09-2009, 05:57 PM
He doesn't run with power or anger anymore. He barely shows up. The team that gets him also needs to have a strong coach to wade through all the ******** that is LJ. Good luck to whoever signs him.

That's because the Chiefs suck. The same things were said about Randy Moss when he was in Oakland.

Babylon
11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
Not in it's entirety but I've watched 8 Packers games and find it hard to believe that any other line is worse. I'll take your word for it, though. I can settle for 31st best offensive line.

Yours is worse trust me.

Splat
11-09-2009, 06:05 PM
That's because the Chiefs suck.

No its because he got paid and doesn't care any more.

diabsoule
11-09-2009, 06:06 PM
One of the lead stories on ESPN.com reads "Chiefs rid selves of troubled Johnson".

Hahahaha.

Staubach12
11-09-2009, 06:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lincolnshire/content/images/2006/02/21/skeg_whale_lakin3_470x352.jpg

TitanHope
11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
That's because the Chiefs suck. The same things were said about Randy Moss when he was in Oakland.

Incidents like Moss in New England are the exception, though.

I think LJ can be a solid back in this league, and could be successful in a tandem with another RB behind a good OL. But, he's a punk and unlike Moss, I don't think his talent is worth the gamble on possibly bringing that kind of attitude into the locker room.

Shane P. Hallam
11-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Bring him to Pittsburgh!

Splat
11-09-2009, 06:58 PM
Bring him to Pittsburgh!

Thats just what Big Ben needs another player that can't block.

Smooth Criminal
11-09-2009, 07:11 PM
Bring him to Pittsburgh!

I'm all for it. Esspecially when Parker is going to be gone next year. Mendenhall, Moore and Johnson would be a great group of backs. Not like we'll need him to be a blocker, we have a 3rd down back and Mendy has been great blocking. All we'd need him for is depth.

DoughBoy
11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
I miss Pacman's mouth. Any chance Larry can return punts?

Splat
11-09-2009, 07:21 PM
All we'd need him for is depth.

Except for the fact that LJ complains when used in the committee role.

ElectricEye
11-09-2009, 07:33 PM
Don't like him to come to New England after meditating on it. Just doesn't seem to be a good fit. If Maroney can't succeed in our offense, I doubt Johnson can. It's just not conducive to a between the tackles type runner. We don't run it enough to get anyone any kind of feel or rhythm. CJ Spiller is the type of guy who would be good here, Johnson is the exact opposite.

Shiver
11-09-2009, 07:36 PM
I think Houston should go for him. The last Chiefs outcast they got turned out pretty well for them and they need a big back.

Shane P. Hallam
11-09-2009, 07:41 PM
Except for the fact that LJ complains when used in the committee role.

I think he realizes he won't be a feature back anymore. If not, then he won't get signed anywhere. Probably wouldn't be overly expensive, back to PA, and he'll have his chances.

bored of education
11-09-2009, 08:11 PM
He could do something somewhere but his time too shine was the years Trent Green was passing for 4000 yards and having a line of Waters, Wiegmann, Shields and Roaf. Since he got his paper he has been ****. I dont care if his lines have sucked since he falls at the line of scrimmage if he is touched by Merton Hanks.

sweetness34
11-09-2009, 08:36 PM
No its because he got paid and doesn't care any more.

He'd care if he had something to play for, like a winning season or a championship. Put him on a team with a coach that will make him accountable and he could be a very good pickup for a team looking for another back.

It's amazing what a change of scenery can do for a disgruntled player, although LJ comes with a lot of baggage.

vidae
11-09-2009, 08:37 PM
He'd care if he had something to play for, like a winning season or a championship. Put him on a team with a coach that will make him accountable and he could be a very good pickup for a team looking for another back.

It's amazing what a change of scenery can do for a disgruntled player, although LJ comes with a lot of baggage.

We have a coach now who was holding him accountable and he still bitched and moaned. Why would another coach be different?

You people keep making excuses for him but he's garbage and he has been for years.

Splat
11-09-2009, 08:48 PM
Kills me how fans always think their team has a magic wand and can deal with any player.

Its never the players fault it was always his ex team didn't know how to use,coach or control him.

diabsoule
11-09-2009, 09:53 PM
Kills me how fans always think their team has a magic wand and can deal with any player.

Its never the players fault it was always his ex team didn't know how to use,coach or control him.

Using that logic DeAngelo Hall should have turned into the greatest cornerback of all time.

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
If he can hold onto the ball then I dont care what his YPC is I would still love him as a Texan.

yo123
11-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Edit- Wrong thread.

gpngc
11-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Delusional Tim Ruskell will sign Johnson for the "playoff push." Then he'll get fired.

Brent
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
he falls at the line of scrimmage if he is touched by Merton Hanks.
watchu know 'bout that neck?

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7184/mertonhanksyp1.gif

Mr. Goosemahn
11-10-2009, 01:17 AM
Adam Schefter reports on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown that Larry Johnson has stated he wishes to clear waivers and sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/09/schefter-larry-johnson-wants-to-play-for-the-steelers/

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NfL&id=1315

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/11/9/1123648/schefter-larry-johnson-wants-to

As a Steelers fan, I'm all for it, I think he could be useful. We already have a franchise back in Rashard Mendenhall, a third-down back in Mewelde Moore, and Larry Johnson could find a role in between. Willie Parker honestly hasn't done anything for the past two games, though he might still be injured though.

The guy wants to play here (ever since the 2003 draft, when he was disappointed the Steelers didn't draft him) and would probably not be as problematic as he was with Kansas City.

If he wants to sign with the Steelers, he has to know he's no longer the feature back. A committee of Mendenhall, Johnson, Moore, and Parker could be very productive.

What do you guys think?

vidae
11-10-2009, 01:26 AM
Adam Schefter reports on ESPN's Monday Night Countdown that Larry Johnson has stated he wishes to clear waivers and sign with the Pittsburgh Steelers:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/09/schefter-larry-johnson-wants-to-play-for-the-steelers/

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NfL&id=1315

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2009/11/9/1123648/schefter-larry-johnson-wants-to

As a Steelers fan, I'm all for it, I think he could be useful. We already have a franchise back in Rashard Mendenhall, a third-down back in Mewelde Moore, and Larry Johnson could find a role in between. Willie Parker honestly hasn't done anything for the past two games, though he might still be injured though.

The guy wants to play here (ever since the 2003 draft, when he was disappointed the Steelers didn't draft him) and would probably not be as problematic as he was with Kansas City.

If he wants to sign with the Steelers, he has to know he's no longer the feature back. A committee of Mendenhall, Johnson, Moore, and Parker could be very productive.

What do you guys think?

A lot of people here have this "feeling" that a new change of scenery or a new coaching staff or a new offensive line and he will be different.

He had three coaches in Kansas City and they hit every possible range on the meter. Vermeil was looked at as if he coddled his players too much, Haley is looked at like a super dick who gives them no freedom, and then you have Herm in between. He had problems with every. single. one. of. them. It will be no different with Tomlin.

We can forget for a minute that he's the kind of runner you generally don't like going into their 30s because of the wear on him and the way he runs and we can forget that he has always placed the blame at someone else.

But, when a player calls out your coaching staff publically, you have a problem. When a player calls members of the media derogatory slurs, you have a problem. When a player is out all night drinking the night before a game and acts like he doesn't care, you have a problem. And lastly, and this has to be my favorite, when a player spits on women in night clubs, you have a problem.

These are not things he magically picked up in Kansas City. These are major character flaws. This is who he is. Nothing will change these no matter where he lives or the guys blocking for him. He will be the same person in Pittsburgh that he is in Kansas City right now.

CC.SD
11-10-2009, 01:34 AM
LJ over the last little while is just not running very hard, I've seen him go down on first contact wayyyyy too often. That could be a result of either being burned out or more likely not giving a crap. I had him pegged as a potential sleeper this year but ultimately a lot of things factored into zero production. I'm sure he might be somewhat productive in the right situation, but any team that brings him in at this point is probably asking for trouble. Steelers don't need him btw.

Splat
11-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Larry Johnson insists he has no anger issues (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/10/larry-johnson-insists-he-has-no-anger-issues/)

"No, it's not an anger issue," Johnson said. "I have a competitive issue. I like to put myself in situations where I always want to win, no matter what it is. I think sometimes that gets the best of me and I become overly competitive and try to control every little thing I can to make sure I'm winning everything and everyone around me is going to win, and sometimes I lose myself in that."

:rolleyes:

"I'm still going to try to run hard on every play," Johnson said.

:confused:

"I was -- and still am -- the biggest Todd Haley fan," Johnson said. "I am a big Todd Haley fan and I'm a Scott Pioli fan."

:eek:

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
RT @Adam_Schefter: Filed to ESPN: No team claimed running back Larry Johnson, which means he now is free to sign with any team.

Mr. Goosemahn
11-10-2009, 04:43 PM
Per Adam Schefter's twitter page:

And now we start eliminating LJ landing spots: No more Houston - Gary Kubiak's team sticking with its backs.

http://twitter.com/Adam_Schefter

Splat
11-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Good move by Houston they have things going in the right direction some one like LJ could blow the whole thing.

Matthew Jones
11-10-2009, 07:48 PM
The teams I feel have a shot of signing Larry Johnson:

Chargers - The Chargers are having a ton of trouble running the ball this year, and I don't think LaDainian Tomlinson's future prospects with the team are looking very good, so I doubt they'd really be afraid of upsetting him by bringing in some competition. They've also seen first-hand what kind of games Johnson can have, and I don't think much would motivate him more than getting a shot against the Chiefs later on this year. He'd get to play a lot of pretty easy run defenses over the rest of the year.

Eagles - Brian Westbrook has been missing games and if they took a chance on Vick, I could see them taking a chance on Larry Johnson as well. Johnson would have a role similar to what Buckhalter had before. However, Weaver has been playing pretty well and the Eagles could be happy with what they've got. For what it's worth, he went to Penn State, so he might have some fans there.

Patriots - Most people look at the Patriots deal for Corey Dillon, although I think the main thing is that Dillon was still effective and the Patriots were getting pretty desperate for a back. I could still kind of see it (and for some sick reason I'd be a little bit excited), but I think in order for it to happen the Patriots would need to put Taylor on I.R. Belichick didn't completely rule it out earlier and said they'd talk about it.

Redskins - Clinton Portis went down with a concussion, so it makes some sense that the Redskins would want Larry Johnson. Still, I doubt he'd really play very much once Portis gets back, and I don't know if he wants to go to a team this bad. LJ's best shot at a payday is performing in the postseason, and he won't get that shot in Washington. If he doesn't have a few suitors, this might be his fourth or fifth choice.

Steelers - LJ said he wants to play here. Who wouldn't? That doesn't mean the Steelers would sign him, though. They took a chance on Bettis once, and so it's certainly possible. I don't think he's up to the Rooney family's standards, though. Also, it doesn't really seem like the Steelers need him much - Mendenhall hasn't been the most durable, but right now he's playing lights-out and it'd be hard to justify taking enough carries away from him to make Johnson worth it.

Texans - Adam Schefter ruled this out, so I'd be inclined to take his word for it, but let's just look - Steve Slaton had a fumbling problem and lost his job, and last game Ryan Moats put the ball on the ground. I don't think LJ is a great fit, and apparently Kubiak likes his guys, but if you take what Schefter said out of the equation, it looks like the Texans might be interested in another guy. LJ would be a great compliment to those quicker guys if he stepped up his play.

To be honest, I'm not sure any team should really sign him. He's a 30 year old back who is averaging 2.7 yards per carry and has some (in my opinion) pretty serious character issues. He sulked in Kansas City for the longest while because he wasn't getting enough carries, and it's hard to imagine a team making him a feature back right now. Since the Texans were pretty much ruled out earlier, I think the best-case scenario for Johnson would be New England - a playoff team where he'd get a pretty decent amount of carries. Still, he'd have to be willing to suck up his pride, shut up off the field, and take the veteran minimum. If he has his pick of all of these, I think he goes to Pittsburgh. The most likely? I'm gonna go out and say Philadelphia, but that's just me.

Shiver
11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Adam Schefter may have ruled it out, but NFL Network strongly suggests that the Texans are serious front-runners in the Larry Johnson sweepstakes.

DeathbyStat
11-10-2009, 08:16 PM
sign with the steelers larry

bored of education
11-10-2009, 08:22 PM
He is a waste. I dont care I dont think he will be anything from here on out. Its easy to say he will be something just to be that person who said it. But i wont be that guy to just be that guy

Mr.Regular
11-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Im surprised this is getting so much attention... I would have figured there would be almost no interest in the guy. He's up their in age, he hasn't been that productive lately, and he's an obvious team cancer. Whats the point?

bored of education
11-10-2009, 08:28 PM
Mister Reg, thank you. plus rep

Mr. Goosemahn
11-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Texans no longer pursuing free agent RB Larry Johnson.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/fb/texansfront/6714203.html

CC.SD
11-10-2009, 09:45 PM
LJ was very well spoken this morning with Dan Patrick, gave a very good mea culpa while still talking about the future very optimistically. DP gave him a very uncharacteristically hostile sendoff though, even going so far as to say he wasn't sure about having him on the show, and that he was making his agent (who supposedly represents good character types) look bad.

Shane P. Hallam
11-11-2009, 08:54 AM
RT @Adam_Schefter: Larry Johnson's agent Peter Schaffer said he's "talking with many teams and two you would never guess." I tried to guess, he wouldn't bite.

Splat
11-11-2009, 09:16 AM
Im surprised this is getting so much attention... I would have figured there would be almost no interest in the guy. He's up their in age, he hasn't been that productive lately, and he's an obvious team cancer. Whats the point?

I think the main reason is he is the biggest FA out there even with his drop in a play he is still a "name" player so it generates buzz.

senormysterioso
11-11-2009, 09:18 AM
Weren't the Saints and the Titans looking at guys like Edge and Shaun Alexander this off season? Maybe they'll kick the tires on him this week

Brothgar
11-11-2009, 09:31 AM
PFT and Jason LaCanfora of NFL network are saying that the Texans are front runners for LJ.

Splat
11-11-2009, 09:37 AM
LJ was very well spoken this morning with Dan Patrick, gave a very good mea culpa while still talking about the future very optimistically. DP gave him a very uncharacteristically hostile sendoff though, even going so far as to say he wasn't sure about having him on the show, and that he was making his agent (who supposedly represents good character types) look bad.

I'm not sure if this is the same interview but I heard a small bit of one on the radio and the biggest surprise was when he said that he would like to come back to the Chiefs at the end of his career.

Splat
11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
I think he just wants to come back and get those 70 yards he needs to become their all time leading rusher.

That boat has sailed...

vidae
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
RT @Adam_Schefter: Larry Johnson's agent Peter Schaffer said he's "talking with many teams and two you would never guess." I tried to guess, he wouldn't bite.

Who did you guess?

vidae
11-11-2009, 10:54 AM
does he think chiefs fans will have forgiven and forgotten in two years? or that they'll actually want a guy who, at that point, will be lucky to be averaging 2.5 ypc?

You're giving him a lot more credit than I am!

It's hilarious because I have yet to meet a Chiefs fan that is upset about him being cut. I find it hard to believe ANY Chiefs fan would want that pile of trash back in KC under any circumstances.

diabsoule
11-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Weren't the Saints and the Titans looking at guys like Edge and Shaun Alexander this off season? Maybe they'll kick the tires on him this week

I think this year has proven that PT can be the full time back with Mike Bell and Reggie performing admirably when he's off the field. We don't need LJ and his poor attitude infecting our locker room.

no bare feet
11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
The two teams I am guessing are Kansas City and New York.

Splat
11-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Redskins rule out Larry Johnson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/11/redskins-rule-out-larry-johnson/)

Ho0k Em'
11-11-2009, 01:44 PM
More no's for and to Larry Johnson: SF, Atlanta, Washington, Houston, Chicago.

per Shefter's twitter

Splat
11-11-2009, 01:48 PM
That pretty much leaves Pitt and NE of the teams rumored.

senormysterioso
11-11-2009, 03:07 PM
The Packers have been in the market for running backs but we just signed Ahman Green back, and he looked rejuvinated last week. We also once upon a time offered the Chiefs a first round pick for LJ

no bare feet
11-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I cannot read.

PalmerToCJ
11-16-2009, 12:19 PM
It's looking pretty likely that Larry Johnson will be a Bengal. I'm very blah on this. While I think he won't be a distraction given the situation he just got out of and how short of a time period he will be here this season.... He flat out sucked at KC.

I hope he's got some left in the tank, we do need someone to spell Benson and he did average 4.5 YPC last year I guess.

Ugh, I just don't see him being that productive, hope I'm wrong.

Shiver
11-16-2009, 12:20 PM
Larry Johnson is basically the same guy as Cedric Benson; it probably won't work as well obviously.

PalmerToCJ
11-16-2009, 12:24 PM
That's the theory I'm going with anyway. We mostly need a tough physical guy to steal 5-10 carries a game from Benson so he can be rested. Hopefully he's got some left in the tank.

vidae
11-16-2009, 12:48 PM
I think he could be okay with 5-10 carries a game but I wouldn't sign him to anything long term and I wouldn't go into this expecting anything great.

Kind of sucks, because I have some really good friends in Cinci so I find myself pulling for them whenever they play and now I'd have to root for a team with LJ on it after he finally got booted from KC! Nooo!

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 12:53 PM
I think he could be okay with 5-10 carries a game but I wouldn't sign him to anything long term and I wouldn't go into this expecting anything great.

Kind of sucks, because I have some really good friends in Cinci so I find myself pulling for them whenever they play and now I'd have to root for a team with LJ on it after he finally got booted from KC! Nooo!

I am not an LJ fan but I would have to give it up to the Bengals if they salvaged both him and Cedric Benson. honestly I have to give it up the Bengals anyway because I'm still on Carson's jock.

ThePudge
11-16-2009, 12:56 PM
I'm not sure Larry Johnson is quite the mentor you'd like to see for Bernard Scott, but he should be happy if he goes to Cincinnati, playing for a winning team, getting paid, and getting some carries behind a very good young back and behind a big, mauling offensive line.

It'd be a bold move by the Bengals front office and coaching staff. They've done a tremendous job lately managing character, but why throw another ego into the mix.? I could go either way on it.... We'll see what happens.

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 01:02 PM
Thinking about it I really like this move if LJ has anything left in the tank. The Bengal running game is built on a 'wear you down' type runner, so doubling up on that is really going to help them in 4th quarters. This obviously will help out with play action too. Anything to keep Cedric away from 370.

Bengalsrocket
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
LJ would fit nicely in Cinci and while I don't necessarily "want" him, I would welcome him. Benson can't keep taking this abuse forever. And while Bernard Scott looked look against a tough defense, he didn't look great.

What happens if we get to the play offs and Benson goes down? Are putting our entire offensive gameplan on the shoulders of Scott and Leonard?

I just think more bodies is good, despite my dislike for L.J.

Giantsfan1080
11-16-2009, 01:06 PM
It also depends on how bad Benson's injury is from yesterday. They might want to give him a game or two off so Johnson might fit in well.

senormysterioso
11-16-2009, 01:12 PM
the resurrected one rb's career, maybe lightning can strike twice

Splat
11-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Here is the link.

Larry Johnson: Set to Sign With Bengals (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-arryohnsonettoignith&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

Pat Sims 90
11-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Benson is banged up
Brian Leonard been banged up this year
Bernard Scott Banged up this year

I really like this move we are a running team if we lose Benson we are pretty much srewed now we have someone to come in and take the load if benson goes down

I know Johnson numbers have been down i think it is a benson type situation he was not motivated in KC and they dont have a OL

Hopefully he will be like Benson and relize this could be his last chance.

Plus we play KC this year wonder how that game will go for him?

Bucs_Rule
11-16-2009, 02:54 PM
The Bengals running game really struggled once Benson left in the Steelers game.

ThePudge
11-16-2009, 03:12 PM
The Bengals running game really struggled once Benson left in the Steelers game.

Not really. It was the Steelers rush defense that played real well. Bernard Scott grinded out some tough runs. They are a much better team with Benson in the lineup, but Scott's certainly capable of making plays.

terribletowel39
11-16-2009, 03:23 PM

Not really. It was the Steelers rush defense that played real well. Bernard Scott grinded out some tough runs. They are a much better team with Benson in the lineup, but Scott's certainly capable of making plays.
^^^This and the running game was struggling before Benson left the game. He had 33 yards on 13 carries. That is 2.5 yards a carry.

Not to brag on the Steelers rush defense but I was impressed with Scott. Any other team, and he would have had a really decent showing. He runs with authority and purpose. He wants to prove something. If he wasn't on the Bengals team, I would root for him the rest of the season.

Splat
11-16-2009, 03:36 PM
I think it would be an ok move on the field I just question it from a locker room stand point if it does happen.

PalmerToCJ
11-16-2009, 03:59 PM
I think it would be an ok move on the field I just question it from a locker room stand point if it does happen.

I just don't see it being an issue if it's only for this season. My beef with why anyone would sign him is the fact that he just wasn't producing at all. These locker room destroying players normally don't show themselves till at least the 2nd season, it doesn't bother me.

He has been told he will work with the scout team and special teams. Coming in he should know he's given nothing, he apparently wants to go to a winning team.

If he could come in, give us 5-10 carries a game and average about 4 a carry that would be huge for us. Also would provide a lot of insurance. I've been really pushing for a 1st round RB next year for the exact same kind of thing.

What I really like is the style of rusher he is. It fits our team and division very nicely.

I was also concerned about what it would mean for Brian Leonard however Marvin made it clear Johnson would be our 4th RB and it wouldn't impact either of the backups.

We needed insurance, he would provide that. Maybe he will pull kind of a Corey Dillon.

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 04:02 PM
Is any part of LJ's motivation here related to sticking it to Pittsburgh for passing on him again?

Mr. Goosemahn
11-16-2009, 04:04 PM
Heard that Larry Johnson is reconsidering after hearing Marvin Lewis' comments, but nothing official on this yet.

Marvin Lewis said that Johnson would only be active, not even play, if something happened to one of their guys. He said LJ would simply be "insurance" and that they plan on having him inactive for games barring an injury.

He'd be the 4th string RB.

http://twitter.com/CinBengalsNFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10380950/Bengals-interested-in-RB-Johnson-as-backup

Mr. Goosemahn
11-16-2009, 04:06 PM
Update:

Bengals impressed with his workout and are working out a deal right now.

http://twitter.com/Jay_Glazer/status/5776957831

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Heard that Larry Johnson is reconsidering after hearing Marvin Lewis' comments, but nothing official on this yet.

Marvin Lewis said that Johnson would only be active, not even play, if something happened to one of their guys. He said LJ would simply be "insurance" and that they plan on having him inactive for games barring an injury.

He'd be the 4th string RB.

http://twitter.com/CinBengalsNFL

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10380950/Bengals-interested-in-RB-Johnson-as-backup

This has got to be Marvin trying out an actual motivational tactic. Nonsensical otherwise.

NotRickJames
11-16-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm still waiting for Tatum Bell's return to the NFL, or Ryan Torain. Johnson sucks.

Splat
11-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Bell is in the UFL as we speak.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-16-2009, 06:56 PM
Tatum Bell has to be one of the best Madden players to ever suck in real life.

CC.SD
11-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Tatum Bell has to be one of the best Madden players to ever suck in real life.

Ernie Sims beasts.

NotRickJames
11-16-2009, 06:58 PM
He's never averaged less than 4.0 per carry.

F'n real though, why do people still pay top dollar for running backs? They don't last long and it's all about the system. Through any scrub-deezy in the backfield in a good system (i.e. The Broncos) and expect success. Unless it's Walter Payton 2.0, no way would I pay top dollar for a running back

ThePudge
11-16-2009, 07:00 PM
It's looking like the Bengals and Larry Johnson have reached a one year deal, though I haven't heard it go official yet. I would welcome the signing as long as his head's in the right place. He'll be playing behind a much better offensive line here in Cincinnati, with the threat of a much scarier passing attack, and should be much more motivated playing for a playoff contender than for the Kansas City where he was unhappy.

I could see him looking like a much different player in Cincinnati. Or maybe he's washed up. We'll see.

vidae
11-16-2009, 07:13 PM
It's looking like the Bengals and Larry Johnson have reached a one year deal, though I haven't heard it go official yet. I would welcome the signing as long as his head's in the right place. He'll be playing behind a much better offensive line here in Cincinnati, with the threat of a much scarier passing attack, and should be much more motivated playing for a playoff contender than for the Kansas City where he was unhappy.

I could see him looking like a much different player in Cincinnati. Or maybe he's washed up. We'll see.

His head won't be in the right place because his head is never in the right place.

While I agree without a doubt you have a better oline and a better passing attack, that was never his problem. His problem was that he didn't try because he didn't care. If you want a player who only cares when you're in playoff contention, you've got your man.

senormysterioso
11-16-2009, 07:16 PM
His head won't be in the right place because his head is never in the right place.

While I agree without a doubt you have a better oline and a better passing attack, that was never his problem. His problem was that he didn't try because he didn't care. If you want a player who only cares when you're in playoff contention, you've got your man.

I understand it's apples and oranges, but if you would have asked a bears fan two years ago if the bengals would get anything out of Benson, what would they have told you?

NotRickJames
11-16-2009, 07:18 PM

I think he's a scrub either way, but if what you said is true....they've got their man.

He won't be a long term guy in Cincinnati. They're in playoff contention. They need another depth guy at running back. But I think they should've signed Edge or Tatum.

Bucs_Rule
11-16-2009, 07:22 PM
Bell is in the UFL as we speak.

I totally forgot that league existed.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Ernie Sims beasts.

Yeah, but I doubt Ernie Sims is gonna be out of the league anytime soon. And I doubt anyone can rack up the LB equivalent of a 3000 yard season by T-Bell which I totes did on Madden 2005.

PalmerToCJ
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM

This is exactly how I feel. Again, given him just recently being cut along with him not being here long at all... I am not all that concerned about him being an issue.

My main concern is if he's got any left in the tank. Last game of last year he had 10 rushes for 18 yards against us so that is my most recent impression.

bored of education
11-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Good luck Bengals.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Just when I think the Bengals had changed they go and do something like this. Being a Benson fantasy owner this I don't like this although LJ is useless. Speaking of Benson what's the news on his injury?

ThePudge
11-16-2009, 08:58 PM
It's just an abductor sprain. He should be good to go this weekend, and Marvin Lewis was positive when talking about a return. They may let him sit though as it is Oakland... maybe this is the week Andre Smith gets activated?

Splat
11-17-2009, 09:52 AM
I know it has been looking like a done deal for awhile but via ESPN its official now one year deal.

Source: Johnson signs with first-place Bengals (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4662947)

Splat
11-18-2009, 09:16 AM
Facing Chiefs would be "best Christmas gift" for L.J. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/18/facing-chiefs-would-be-best-christmas-gift-for-lj/)

Brent
11-18-2009, 11:23 AM
well, when that place is up your own ass, it's hard to get it any where else.

CC.SD
11-18-2009, 03:16 PM
well, when that place is up your own ass, it's hard to get it any where else.

So which is it LJ...do you want to return to the Chiefs and become their all time leading rusher, or is facing them your best Christmas gift?

Splat
11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Cedric Benson has "no feelings" about Larry Johnson's arrival (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/cedric-benson-has-no-feelings-about-larry-johnsons-arrival/)

"I didn't know I was supposed to be jumping out of my seat or anything (http://www.suntimes.com/sports/football/1892502,CST-SPT-nflnt19.article). I really have no feelings about it."

"They made a move they felt they needed to do, and that's fine with me," Benson added. "It's not going to affect me in any kind of way.''