PDA

View Full Version : Michael Jackson: This is it

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 07:35 PM
http://memories.michaeljackson.com/ex-images/michael-jackson-this-is-it-movie-poster.jpg

Did anyone go out and see it? I came away totally blown away. He's a much different person than the criminal that the American media built him up to be. Thought it was an inspiring movie and I've come to respect him a lot. He was a gift to the world. I've come to believe that he had to go out the way he did in order to have the impact on the world, that his life's purpose had intended for him to fulfill.

DoughBoy
11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
I'm going to see it because I have heard it is really good. As far as MJ, I don't think he was a bad guy. I felt sorry for him after that time they followed him around Neverland.

tjsunstein
11-09-2009, 07:56 PM
He definitely was a great person but the media did their voodoo magic and made his an easy target. I want to see this.

A Perfect Score
11-09-2009, 08:18 PM
He definitely was a great person but the media did their voodoo magic and made his an easy target. I want to see this.

Keep it in perspective that there are two sides to every story. Im sure that the people who made "This Is It" didn't come in with the idea to make him out to look like a criminal. I understand that the media has an influence in what we do, but a piece of work like "This Is It" is simply another form of media that paints a different picture.

I haven't seen the movie, but the picture that it paints is undoubtedly one that is in stark opposition to the one the media portrayed for Jackson. Im sure this thread isnt a proper place to discuss the subjectivity of media, but I think its important to keep a bit of cynicism in regards to something like this.

Brent
11-09-2009, 08:24 PM
This "documentary" was made with the intent to be a positive portrayal of MJ in the lead up to the tour he was to do, prior to his death. Does it really need its own thread?

princefielder28
11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I loved it. I saw about a week and a half ago and was blown away by everything he did, was certainly worth the $6 I paid to see it.

niel89
11-09-2009, 09:20 PM
This is it?

smittyjs
11-09-2009, 09:24 PM
I'm going to see it because I have heard it is really good. As far as MJ, I don't think he was a bad guy. I felt sorry for him after that time they followed him around Neverland.
Seen it the first day it came out, it was really good, it was to sad that MJ, never was able to do the concert live, it would have been mind blowing

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Keep it in perspective that there are two sides to every story. Im sure that the people who made "This Is It" didn't come in with the idea to make him out to look like a criminal. I understand that the media has an influence in what we do, but a piece of work like "This Is It" is simply another form of media that paints a different picture.

I haven't seen the movie, but the picture that it paints is undoubtedly one that is in stark opposition to the one the media portrayed for Jackson. Im sure this thread isnt a proper place to discuss the subjectivity of media, but I think its important to keep a bit of cynicism in regards to something like this.
Most of it was raw. It was real life MJ in action. There really was no "spin" on it. He's a pure genius. A master of the art. He was a gift to the world that most people misunderstood. If we were all like him, the world would be a better place. He had all the money in the world. He could've been corrupt as hell. Yet he chose a different life. A pure innocent life. I don't think he was a child molester at all. I think it was all a spin by the media or someone trying to get rich off of him.

He really tried to send a positive message to the world. Heal the World. Doesn't matter if it's black or white. We are the world. Man in the mirror. Earth Song. On and on and on... So different from the rest of the musical artists out there. He could've written about anything...

cLo1oEs_mxM

Whistler6
11-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Possibly greatest performer of all time? Yeah. Still, when he was alive he was the creepest guy out there who everyone spoofed. Now, he was the best father/brother/son/human every born on this Earth.

I am not passing judgement either way, but it's just hard to watch so many people pull a 180 on their views of him and accept it.

Apparently he liked to pee in front of people at random times now too?

yo123
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Possibly greatest performer of all time? Yeah. Still, when he was alive he was the creepest guy out there who everyone spoofed. Now, he was the best father/brother/son/human every born on this Earth.

I am not passing judgement either way, but it's just hard to watch so many people pull a 180 on their views of him and accept it.

Apparently he liked to pee in front of people at random times now too?

This. Michael Jackson was not a good person. Wow how quickly perceptions change.

diabsoule
11-09-2009, 10:01 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11572

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11572

MJ deserves his own thread.

BlindSite
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
This. Michael Jackson was not a good person. Wow how quickly perceptions change.

It's funny how inspirational and amazing people become once they take a bite of the big **** sandwich.

I saw this doco, it's not as "raw" as portrayed and it's definitely extremely heavily slanted.

Whistler6
11-09-2009, 10:11 PM
I apologize in advance, but I refuse to have a love fest for how great he was. He was involved in many, many "wrong" doings. Okay the many were dropped or never proved... He was amazing, simply amazing. Voice, dancing, songs, the list is endless. But celebrity doesn't erase his past.

Steve McNair is a similar story. Sad, but still relevant to my perception to how I will remember him now.

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
I apologize in advance, but I refuse to have a love fest for how great he was. He was involved in many, many "wrong" doings. Okay the many were dropped or never proved... He was amazing, simply amazing. Voice, dancing, songs, the list is endless. But celebrity doesn't erase his past.

Steve McNair is a similar story. Sad, but still relevant to my perception to how I will remember him now.

How do you know he did any "wrong" doing? If you did I would guess that you would have gone to the trial as a witness.

yo123
11-09-2009, 10:14 PM
OJ Simpson didn't have to be convicted for me to know he did it. Obviously it's not that extreme of a case but come on.

Whistler6
11-09-2009, 10:16 PM
How do you know he did any "wrong" doing? If you did I would guess that you would have gone to the trial as a witness.

If you read carefully you can see I said none of them were ever proved. Clearly I don't KNOW he did anything wrong. He wasn't viewed as a saint while he was alive, but now in death he was perfect...?

You can pass your own judgement based on his life, and I'll have mine. No worries.

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:19 PM
OJ Simpson didn't have to be convicted for me to know he did it. Obviously it's not that extreme of a case but come on.

Did you ever see the evidence or witnessed it happen? The US goes with something called "innocent until proven guilty." I wont go into politics though.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM
If you read carefully you can see I said none of them were ever proved. Clearly I don't KNOW he did anything wrong. He wasn't viewed as a saint while he was alive, but now in death he was perfect...?

You can pass your own judgement based on his life, and I'll have mine. No worries.
The thing is his own... Americans hated him, disrespected him, looked down upon him as a freak... while the rest of the world adored him.

The dude was misunderstood. He used parts of his brain that most humans don't. Like seriously.

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:20 PM

I see what you are saying, but I have seen more posts hating on him and calling him a child abuser even when he is dead than I have seen people talking about how talented he was.

yo123
11-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Did you ever see the evidence or witnessed it happen? The US goes with something called "innocent until proven guilty." I wont go into politics though.

No, but I feel like I know enough about the situation to make my own decision as to how I feel about the guy.

jayceheathman
11-09-2009, 10:32 PM
No, but I feel like I know enough about the situation to make my own decision as to how I feel about the guy.

I wasnt there when it all took place so I will side with the people that listened to the witnesses, saw the evidence, and debated forever on whether it was beyond a reasonable doubt to convict him.

Back to the movie so I dont get this locked for politics.....I havent seen it yet but I have been wanting to. I may go see it later this week.

yo123
11-09-2009, 10:34 PM
The fact is that a lot of celebrities get accused of crimes. Not a lot of them get convicted. I'm not just going to blindly take his not getting convicted as an undeniable fact.

PackerLegend
11-09-2009, 10:52 PM
In my mind MJ was pretty messed up and if there was never any controversy surrounding him i'd still feel the same. Of course the movie isnt going to add anything bad when basically its a tribute to him.

kwilk103
11-09-2009, 11:22 PM

he was found "not guilty"

Borat
11-09-2009, 11:25 PM
I haven't seen this movie yet, but I heard Sammy Sosa gives a killer performance.

vikes_28
11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Michael Jackson isn't really dead. He will come out of hiding any time now and put a concert where the whole world watches. Tickets will cost 1000000 each. JK. I saw the movie. I may not be old enough to understand why he is so great. But this movie sure helped. Great show. I will def. buy this when it comes out.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 11:30 PM
You people don't even seem to understand what the movie is about. It's not a tribute movie. It's just a documentation of the practices that he was doing in preparation for his concerts coming up. Showed how he acted, thought and performed. I guess one thing will remain the same... and that he will forever be misunderstood. For those who did or do watch it. Let me know if it changes your perspective on him or what.

Whistler6
11-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Is there any meaning behind naming his child Blanket?

yo123
11-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Yeah, naming his kid Blanket is enough for me to think he was a bad person. That's just so cruel.

Brent
11-09-2009, 11:56 PM
You people don't even seem to understand what the movie is about. It's not a tribute movie. It's just a documentation of the practices that he was doing in preparation for his concerts coming up. Showed how he acted, thought and performed. I guess one thing will remain the same... and that he will forever be misunderstood. For those who did or do watch it. Let me know if it changes your perspective on him or what.
No **** he prepared like crazy, his father used to beat him, and his brothers, for making mistakes when they were kids.

Shiver
11-10-2009, 12:24 AM
Quite possibly the strangest man who ever walked on this Earth. Undeniably great, but absolutely ****** crazy.

A Perfect Score
11-10-2009, 12:55 AM

In this statement, whether you realize it or not, you are proving what some of us are saying. It isn't a tribute movie, but you come away with a distinctly changed impression? I understand that you are a fan of his, and that's fine, I'm not attempting in any way to detract from Michael Jackson as a musical artist. I just think that this once again affirms the concept that once you die, all your previous misdoings are forgotten. We see it time and time again.

Rosebud
11-10-2009, 01:11 AM
We get it, he died, that's no reason to canonize a man.

Edit: **** I just realized I was agreeing with APS, man I must be a douche.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 01:25 AM
In this statement, whether you realize it or not, you are proving what some of us are saying. It isn't a tribute movie, but you come away with a distinctly changed impression? I understand that you are a fan of his, and that's fine, I'm not attempting in any way to detract from Michael Jackson as a musical artist. I just think that this once again affirms the concept that once you die, all your previous misdoings are forgotten. We see it time and time again.
Well, first off. No, I'm not forgiving him now that he's dead. I really don't know where you're going with that one. Where exactly do we see that over and over again? Jeffrey Domer will always be a masked murderer. blah, blah, blah. Besides, I wouldn't even need to forgive him. Forgive him for what? I was lead to believe that he was a pedaphile. All my life, all I know is that the American media painted that picture of him. But where are the facts? There are none. There are facts that people made money off of him by making him look bad. Now that's a fact.

He did things that were unorthodox. Things that normal people don't do. Criminal things? No. Different? Yes. Special? Most definitely. That's why he is unaccepted. He sticks out. Out of the norm.

I finally saw real footage of him. Not something altered. Not something made a story of. Not like that Indian reporter who acted like he was Michael's friend to get inside MJ's life style, only to turn his back on him and report a nasty spin on MJ in order to make a buck.

That's the difference between what I saw versus what I was shown. That's why I have a different feeling about him now than I used to. I saw the man in his true form. Unaltered. Finally.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 01:26 AM
We get it, he died, that's no reason to canonize a man.

Edit: **** I just realized I was agreeing with APS, man I must be a douche.
Completely missed the point. He was cannonized way before he died anyways.

Let his works speak for themselves. The world has lost a gift.

D-Unit
11-10-2009, 01:28 AM
No **** he prepared like crazy, his father used to beat him, and his brothers, for making mistakes when they were kids.
Through all the abuse, MJ spoke out loud and mentioned each name by name and said he loved them. He truly had an unforgiving heart. A pure heart.

A Perfect Score
11-10-2009, 01:55 AM
Well, first off. No, I'm not forgiving him now that he's dead. I really don't know where you're going with that one. Where exactly do we see that over and over again? Jeffrey Domer will always be a masked murderer. blah, blah, blah. Besides, I wouldn't even need to forgive him. Forgive him for what? I was lead to believe that he was a pedaphile. All my life, all I know is that the American media painted that picture of him. But where are the facts? There are none. There are facts that people made money off of him by making him look bad. Now that's a fact.

He did things that were unorthodox. Things that normal people don't do. Criminal things? No. Different? Yes. Special? Most definitely. That's why he is unaccepted. He sticks out. Out of the norm.

I finally saw real footage of him. Not something altered. Not something made a story of. Not like that Indian reporter who acted like he was Michael's friend to get inside MJ's life style, only to turn his back on him and report a nasty spin on MJ in order to make a buck.

That's the difference between what I saw versus what I was shown. That's why I have a different feeling about him now than I used to. I saw the man in his true form. Unaltered. Finally.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it would seem to me you are going a bit overboard with it. I'm the first person to admit that I am very cynical, and equally skeptical of things like this. I do find it disturbing that before his death, Michael Jackson was the butt of thousands of jokes regarding pedophilia and circus like behaviour, yet now that he's dead, we have threads like this.

Why is what you saw on screen in this film so different then what you saw portrayed in the media? They are both portraying a side of a man, and whether you choose to believe this side or another, that duality is always going to be reflected in the subjectivity of the media we are consistently fed.

Like I said, you are more then entitled to your opinion, Im just confused as to why you think that this film is any less bias then the American media.

jayceheathman
11-10-2009, 12:57 PM
The fact is that a lot of celebrities get accused of crimes. Not a lot of them get convicted. I'm not just going to blindly take his not getting convicted as an undeniable fact.

One thing that makes me believe MJ more is that the parents of that one kid were willing to get paid off. If your kid got abused and much worse like people said happened to him then you arent going to agree to get paid off. You would want that person in jail forever so it couldnt happen to other kids.

El Peefs?????
11-10-2009, 01:12 PM
D-Unit I am disappointed in you. No, not because you like the lame MJ movie (though that doesnt hurt), but because youre setting a bad example for all the lil-NFLDC'ers everywhere.

Aren't you aware that everything on this forum has to be OFFICIAL. There is no OFFICIAL in this title, how can we have a non official post!? Its blowing my mind.

Has this whole world gone crazy? AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO GIVES AN ISH ABOUT THE RULES!? Mark it zero! ...sorry got carried away there.

dabears10
11-10-2009, 01:15 PM
D-Unit I am disappointed in you. No, not because you like the lame MJ movie (though that doesnt hurt), but because youre setting a bad example for all the lil-NFLDC'ers everywhere.

Aren't you aware that everything on this forum has to be OFFICIAL. There is no OFFICIAL in this title, how can we have a non official post!? Its blowing my mind.

Has this whole world gone crazy? AM I THE ONLY ONE AROUND HERE WHO GIVES AN ISH ABOUT THE RULES!? Mark it zero! ...sorry got carried away there.

MARK IT ZERO!

http://thebovinecomedy.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/walter_biglebowski2.jpg

Dr. Gonzo
11-10-2009, 06:29 PM
You are certainly entitled to your opinion, but it would seem to me you are going a bit overboard with it. I'm the first person to admit that I am very cynical, and equally skeptical of things like this. I do find it disturbing that before his death, Michael Jackson was the butt of thousands of jokes regarding pedophilia and circus like behaviour, yet now that he's dead, we have threads like this.

Why is what you saw on screen in this film so different then what you saw portrayed in the media? They are both portraying a side of a man, and whether you choose to believe this side or another, that duality is always going to be reflected in the subjectivity of the media we are consistently fed.

Like I said, you are more then entitled to your opinion, Im just confused as to why you think that this film is any less bias then the American media.

**** duality! There is either fear or love, you know this APS. Michael only raped out of fear. Now that we know this and he is dead he can love again. There is no grey area.

_puc8ojNctA

ccB
11-10-2009, 07:47 PM
I rape out of love

El Peefs?????
11-10-2009, 08:31 PM
Thats ignorant.

P-L
11-10-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, naming his kid Blanket is enough for me to think he was a bad person. That's just so cruel.
The kid's name isn't really Blanket, that just his nickname.

Whistler6
11-10-2009, 10:44 PM
The kid's name isn't really Blanket, that just his nickname.

What's blanket short for? Quilt, Shawl? Poor kid...

CJSchneider
11-10-2009, 10:51 PM
What's blanket short for? Quilt, Shawl? Poor kid...

Afghan

(10 char)

Brent
11-11-2009, 12:25 AM
Afghan

(10 char)
You knock that if you want, but my mother crochets afghans like a ******* sweat shop. She can make one in like 3 days. We have at least 20 in my house haha.

Whistler6
11-11-2009, 12:00 PM
You knock that if you want, but my mother crochets afghans like a ******* sweat shop. She can make one in like 3 days. We have at least 20 in my house haha.

You know it. My grandmother is the same way. She usually makes dinner, drinks her tea, watches soaps, and can maintain a conversation with me all while knitting a blanket.

I have a Green Bay Packer afghan covering my fouton from her right now. Love my Grammy.