PDA

View Full Version : Veterans' Day

CJSchneider
11-10-2009, 07:22 PM
First off, let me just say thanks to SK, seniormysterioso and ironman for there current service. If I missed anyone, please bring this to my attention. I DO want to thank you for your service, past or present, as well.

Of the four veterans who work at my school, I was asked to make a short speech at a Veterans' Day activity we are holding tomorrow. I must admit that at first I was somewhat hesitant to do so. Seeking the spotlight is not in character for me in real life. Reluctantly I sat out this evening to write a speech that would hopefully inspire and not bore an auditorium full of middle school children. I had considered discussing the history of Veterans' Day - no, too borining. I pondered telling some of the events that I was a part of during my time in the Army. Sadly, those I can talk about at a middle school event are , again, pretty boring and those I can't talk about, well I can't talk about them for various reasons.

As I began putting some notes together, I thought back to the 'kid' I was all those years and how much I have changed into the man I am today. I would have never guessed all those years ago, I would become an English teacher. As I continued jotting down some ideas it suddenly struck me - well, let's say it struck the "English teacher" inside of me that I didn't know the proper punctuation of "Veterans' Day". Was it "Veteran's Day" -singular- or was it "Veterans' Day" -plural-. Obviously plural I thought, but I decided look ahead regardless. After a few moments of looking I was astonished to find neither was correct. I found that the proper punctuation was merely "Veterans Day" - no apostrophe at all. Bearing in mind that I am an English teacher, I knew what this meant.

The lack of the apostrophe made the word an 'attributive noun' and not a 'possessive noun'. The word Veteran had became an adjective, describing the day. Well, in light of recent events, that was unthinkable to me. This year, there needed to be an apostrophe. This year, this day would belong to thirteen very special veterans. These Army soldiers lost their lives on November 5th at Ft. Hood, Texas when a fellow soldier, deeply troubled over the political and religious implications of his service became too much to bear. In a single, terrible act, he took the lives of these thirteen when he fired on them unsuspectingly as they were preparing to deploy overseas.

In addition to the countless numbers of American servicemen and women, this year, Veterans' Day belongs to:

PFC Micheal Pearson
PFC Aaron Thomas
SPC Jason Dean Hunt
SGT Amy Krueger
PVT Franceshka Valez
CW1 retired Micheal Cahill
PPFC Kham Xiong
CPT John Gaffeney
SSG Justin DeCrow
SPC Frederick Greene
LTC Wuanita Wayman
MAJ Labardo Caraveo
CPT Russel Seager

Vikes99ej
11-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Thank you guys so much for what you have done for our country. I am going to make it a priority to thank any man or woman in uniform I see from now on. These people dedicate their lives to our country. It is a tragedy what happened to some (or most) of our vets after Vietnam, and we should always respect and remember what these people do for us. God bless you all.

diabsoule
11-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I can't endorse this thread enough. Thank you SK, seniormysterioso and ironman for your current service and CJ for your former service.

senormysterioso
11-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Thanks for the shout outs guys...It's really my pleasure I'm happy to do it, i love doing it. CJ, SK, and ironman, thanks for your service and I'm proud to call you all brothers in arms.

CashmoneyDrew
11-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks to all of you. Forever in your debt.

SuperKevin
11-10-2009, 09:48 PM
I'll accept thanks in the form of 10 dollar paypal donations.

CashmoneyDrew
11-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I'll accept thanks in the form of 10 dollar paypal donations.

Thanks to all of you. Forever in your debt.

Forever means forever SK. ;)

Notredameleo
11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all of our veterans.

fischbowl
11-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Thanks to all veterans from all nations currently engaged or not currently engaged in battle.

Even the Coast Guard, pat yourself on the back today Coast Guard, you deserve it!

Brothgar
11-10-2009, 11:41 PM
**** veterans

And that's an order!

http://www.porterstahoe.com/uploaded_images/army-731435.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/SexiBree42/Hot%20chicks/army.jpg

Brent
11-10-2009, 11:47 PM
I called my grandpa. He was grippin' & sippin'... like always.

ironman4579
11-11-2009, 07:28 AM
Many (most?) of you probably know this poem. But it's always been one of my favorites.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

Cicero
11-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Thank you guys so much for what you have done for our country. I am going to make it a priority to thank any man or woman in uniform I see from now on. These people dedicate their lives to our country. It is a tragedy what happened to some (or most) of our vets after Vietnam, and we should always respect and remember what these people do for us. God bless you all.

I'll never forget this one... I was at work on Veterans Day and a Vietnam vet came in and I told him thank you and he said I was the first person to ever say that to him. What a shame.

Bills2083
11-11-2009, 09:15 AM
Thanks for starting this CJ.
I truly am thankful to all those who have served and currently do so.
Like Vikes, I'm planning on thanking all those I see in uniform.

The_Dude
11-11-2009, 10:03 AM
As always... thanks to the veterans out there.

CJ ~ Incredible idea for your speech. I forwarded it on to some of my co-workers/teachers who would also find it interesting. But..... the history of this date is NOT boring!!!!! :)

Also, while we are celebrating the end of the Great War on this date, I find it interesting and notable that, worldwide, we are down to only 3 veterans of WWI.

Frank Buckles: an American ambulance driver on the Western Front;

Claude Choules: a member of the Royal Navy during WWI & the Australian Navy during WWII;

Jack Babcock: Canadian Vet who enlisted & was trained, but never saw any action before the war was over.

LizardState
11-11-2009, 11:29 AM
As always... thanks to the veterans out there.

But..... the history of this date is NOT boring!!!!! :)

Also, while we are celebrating the end of the Great War on this date, I find it interesting and notable that, worldwide, we are down to only 3 veterans of WWI.

Frank Buckles: an American ambulance driver on the Western Front;

Claude Choules: a member of the Royal Navy during WWI & the Australian Navy during WWII;

Jack Babcock: Canadian Vet who enlisted & was trained, but never saw any action before the war was over.

Thanks to ironman for the Flanders Fields poem & the Abiding Dude for the above.

The only good thing about WWI was it ended romantic glorification of war forever. It blew away the patriotism, propaganda & grandiose ******** & revealed it for what it was: industrialized mass murder on a huge scale. That lesson should have been learned in the Civil War, but people are too soon to forget the horror of war.

Here's what the great Hemingway wrote about it & how the odds of surviving modern warfare are stacked heavily against the soldier. I read this aloud to a Literature class in grad school circa 1975 when Vietnam was still ongoing but thankfully ending. He had been a volunteer ambulance attendant in WW1 (like poet e.e. Cummings & Walt Disney btw) & they had to clean up the gruesome gore & deal with the nightmarish bloody mess, it made them all lifetime pacifists.

* War is no longer made by simply analyzed economic forces if it ever was. War is made or planned now by individual men, demagogues and dictators who play on the patriotism of their people to mislead them into a belief in the great fallacy of war when all their vaunted reforms have failed to satisfy the people they misrule.

* We in America should see that no man is ever given, no matter how gradually or how noble and excellent the man, the power to put this country into a war which is now being prepared and brought closer each day with all the pre-meditation of a long planned murder. For when you give power to an executive you do not know who will be filling that position when the time of crisis comes.

* They wrote in the old days that it is sweet and fitting to die for ones country. But in modern war there is nothing sweet nor fitting in your dying. You will die like a dog for no good reason.

* Hit in the head you will die quickly and cleanly even sweetly and fittingly except for the white blinding flash that never stops, unless perhaps it is only the frontal bone or your optic nerve that is smashed, or your jaw carried away, or your nose and cheek bones gone so you can still think but you have no face to talk with. But if you are not hit in the head you will be hit in the chest, and choke in it, or in the lower belly, and feel it all slip and slide loosely as you open, to spill out when you try to get up, it's not supposed to be so painful but they always scream with it, it's the idea I suppose, or have the flash, the slamming clang of high explosive on a hard road and find your legs are gone above the knee, or maybe just a foot gone and watch the white bone sticking through your puttee, or watch them take a boot off with your foot a mush inside it, or feel an arm flop and learn how a bone feels grating, or you will burn, choke and vomit, or be blown to hell a dozen ways, without sweetness or fittingness: but none of this means anything. No catalogue of horrors ever kept men from war. Before the war you always think that it's not you that dies. But you will die, brother, if you go to it long enough.

Notes on the Next War: A Serious Topical Letter, first published in Esquire (September 1935)

It's 74 yrs. old but still true. I was there at the gravesides when they buried friends & family from Korea & Vietnam. Go see The Hurt Locker & you will know what I mean, all the logic & propaganda always gets lost in the fog of war & the end result yrs later is those rows of headstones.

SuperKevin
11-11-2009, 11:41 AM
Veterans eat free at Applebees today.

senormysterioso
11-11-2009, 12:13 PM
Veterans eat free at Applebees today.

Golden Coral too if you feel like having violent diarrhea

FlyingElvis
11-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Thank you to all our past & current service men & women.

Brent
11-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Someone on facebook just said, "veterans deserve better than a holiday on a Wednesday" I called them out for not knowing this is Armistice Day. History-ignorant fools.

T-RICH49
11-11-2009, 02:16 PM
Thank You SO SO SO MUCH to all the Vets out there for all you do

CJSchneider
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Golden Coral too if you feel like having violent diarrhea

As opposed to an M.R.E. where it takes you a week just to poop again.

Brent
11-11-2009, 02:51 PM
mmm, got to love that lack of fiber.

senormysterioso
11-11-2009, 03:05 PM

A few years ago at a drill we were in the field in the morning and had an MRE for lunch and then had Golden Coral for dinner...my digestive system collapsed into a singularity, it didn't know what was what.

Todd Bertuzzi
11-11-2009, 04:38 PM
Many (most?) of you probably know this poem. But it's always been one of my favorites.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

- John McCrae

Remembrance Day ftw!

P-L
11-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Yes, thank you all for your current or past service. What you do is greatly appreciated.

vikes_28
11-12-2009, 12:55 AM
Thanks Veterans. You guys are always in my prayers.

SuperKevin
11-12-2009, 01:15 AM

At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding

vikes_28
11-12-2009, 03:56 AM
At boot camp we have a 3 day event called the Crucible which is a giant culminating field exercise. All you eat is MREs. However when you finish you have a Warrior's Breakfast which is basically an All-You-Can Eat feast. I swear they do it as a cruel joke because the MREs prevent you from ******** for like 4 days afterwards but you feel so bloated from the breakfast. When I eventually did go I shat blood. No joke. I had literally stretched my intestines to the point where I had some bleeding

Thanks. I just lost my appetite for the next week.

CJSchneider
11-12-2009, 07:07 AM
I'm serious. You can't take a dump for a week, then when you finally do, you crap out a Louisville Slugger. You could build a bomb shelter with some of the turds I've put out after a month in the field.

ironman4579
11-12-2009, 07:24 AM
I took a crap after JRTC in 2003 that literally made my ass bleed and had me in tears.

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice. I will now forever equate Veterans Day with the painful, intestinal shredding passing of bombshelter grade materials.

Cheers!

Brothgar
11-12-2009, 09:26 AM

If I saw blood in my stool I would have shat bricks

LizardState
11-12-2009, 10:38 AM

Beware the roids, Kevin. They lurk in waiting & sprout like mushrooms after a Spring rain in constipated situations like that.

SuperKevin
11-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Beware the roids, Kevin. They lurk in waiting & sprout like mushrooms after a Spring rain in constipated situations like that.

Yeah. I know. I got some from boot camp and they never go aay