PDA

View Full Version : No Fun League strikes again

redbills
11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-celekpose111209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

If I was a player I'd do it next week since they ban it. F them let them fine me I wouldn't pay it.

Don Vito
11-12-2009, 02:16 PM
Captain Morgan executives probably blew their loads when Celek did that, they should give Celek a call and make a commercial.

CC.SD
11-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Well that's just awesome.

WMD
11-12-2009, 02:35 PM
I think the NFL is gonna ban touchdowns soon..

CC.SD
11-12-2009, 02:36 PM
I think the NFL is gonna ban touchdowns soon..

No, you just have to be standing straight up and saluting as you cross the goal line.

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 02:43 PM
The No Fun League's BS stance on TD celebrations is absurd.

This, however, is completely understandable. It's a direct attempt at promoting a specific product during NFL games.

CC.SD
11-12-2009, 02:44 PM
The No Fun League's BS stance on TD celebrations is absurd.

This, however, is completely understandable. It's a direct attempt at promoting a specific product during NFL games.

Yeah but the product is exceptional.

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Indeed!

umphrey
11-12-2009, 02:47 PM
I can see why they did it...if it kept going down that road we could get players doing stupid advertisements after every single play. But taking money out of the hands of a charity is pretty cruel...

Go_Eagles77
11-12-2009, 02:58 PM
The funny thing is it's not like Captain Morgan paid Celek to do that, his wife works for the company. He also did it the week before and didn't get a penalty/fine.

Edit: Should've read the article first, I wasn't aware of the campaign. I'm not sure if the wife thing it true or not. Still it's stupid.

Jvig43
11-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Glad to see the NFL is continuing to work hard at helping its retired players. I mean I get it but thats alot of donated money for a simple pose, going to a good cause.

kalbears13
11-12-2009, 03:02 PM
The funny thing is, Captain Morgan is getting more publicity from this ordeal without having to pay any money.

BlindSite
11-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Glad to see the NFL is continuing to work hard at helping its retired players. I mean I get it but thats alot of donated money for a simple pose, going to a good cause.

I know the oldschool need and deserve help, but anyone out of money in the last 20 years who needs help financially shouldn't be given handouts from the NFL.

Fact is, even no bodies get upwards of a million dollars most year in the NFL, if you cannot plan your life properly and accordingly look after your money, with all the services agencies and teams now provide it's your own fault.

Stop with the "millionaires can't feed their family" crap.

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
The Captain will find a way to make a substantial donation anyway. He's just that cool.

Jvig43
11-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I wasnt saying they cant feed their families or anything, or that the NFL should be giving hand outs, which the article isnt even about. Morgans company was doing this for charity, for a simple pose, no harm done. I get that if this continued it would get a bit ridiculous but it was a great gesture, as well as something fun to see and be entertained by, which is why we all watch the game, to be entertained no?

Jvig43
11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
The Captain will find a way to make a substantial donation anyway. He's just that cool.

Captain loophole, always manages to figure it out!

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 03:11 PM
I know the oldschool need and deserve help, but anyone out of money in the last 20 years who needs help financially shouldn't be given handouts from the NFL.

Fact is, even no bodies get upwards of a million dollars most year in the NFL, if you cannot plan your life properly and accordingly look after your money, with all the services agencies and teams now provide it's your own fault.

Um, what? Not even current "no bodies" get a mill a year. 1/2 mill, maybe. And the guys out of the league for a decade or two are realizing they can be pretty messed up physically from years of abuse.

It's not like they're talking about paying for a doctor office call fee. It's chronic problems that require intensive treatments and surgeries. That adds up fast.

senormysterioso
11-12-2009, 03:16 PM
No, you just have to be standing straight up and saluting as you cross the goal line.

Terrell Davis would sue for infringement real fast

http://www.todofutbolamericano.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/terrell-davis.jpg

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-12-2009, 03:23 PM

I agree with this. I don't understand how you can make all that money and not have anything to show for it. I mean open some businesses or invest in something. There are a million ways to secure your future when you have access to all that money. Dumb ass people spend it all on dumb **** and end up broke.

FlyingElvis
11-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I agree with this. I don't understand how you can make all that money and not have anything to show for it. I mean open some businesses or invest in something. There are a million ways to secure your future when you have access to all that money. Dumb ass people spend it all on dumb **** and end up broke.

I think you guys are both confused about the Gridiron Greats organization and the players they represent. Read up a bit - http://www.gridirongreats.org/

The players that are the biggest concern are the older generation of players - hence the name "Gridiron Greats." They are primarily working for health care and benefits for players from the Ditka/Sayers generation. These are guys who built the reputation of the game back in the day when athlete's weren't paid absurd amounts of money. Hell, Ditka and Sayers were higher paid guys who made a whopping $50,000 per year - if that. It's not always about squandering away money. Try paying for a knee or hip replacement when you have no earning power b/c you can barely walk.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
I think you guys are both confused about the Gridiron Greats organization and the players they represent. Read up a bit - http://www.gridirongreats.org/

The players that are the biggest concern are the older generation of players - hence the name "Gridiron Greats." They are primarily working for health care and benefits for players from the Ditka/Sayers generation. These are guys who built the reputation of the game back in the day when athlete's weren't paid absurd amounts of money. Hell, Ditka and Sayers were higher paid guys who made a whopping $50,000 per year - if that. It's not always about squandering away money. Try paying for a knee or hip replacement when you have no earning power b/c you can barely walk.

Yea I was just going off what Blind said. He was talking about people within the past 20 years or so.

killxswitch
11-12-2009, 03:47 PM
I understand the NFL cracking down in this situation. But the way they smack down anyone who dares have fun after scoring a TD is beyond stupid and really arbitrary. An undrafted rookie CB on the Colts Jacob Lacey got a pick 6 and, once he crossed the goal line, did a baseball slide, stood up, and made the "safe" motion. 15 yard penalty and a $10k fine. But a rich vet like Donald Driver can do dozens of Lambeau Leaps throughout his career and not get a single penalty or fine.

Shane P. Hallam
11-12-2009, 03:50 PM
Slippery Slope, this was necessary.

redbills
11-12-2009, 06:49 PM
What if someone does the 5 dollar footlong as a celebration?

CC.SD
11-12-2009, 06:54 PM

What about Larry Johnson's old hand signal for vagina?

Surely he was promoting vagina.

http://theplayersloungeonline.com/jpegs/roc2.jpg

wogitalia
11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Celebration penalties are just absurd, you normally get 4 or 5 TDs a game, let the players have some fun, obviously there are limits(I don't think product endorsement or props should be allowed) but the ball is fair game for me and genuinely let the guys have some fun.

The NBA did this whole sanitise the game thing and look where it is at right now, they had a good 10 years of the product going backwards which all began right around the time they started to take away the fun the players could have and stripped them of their personalities. NFL is on a slippery slope towards that.

soybean
11-12-2009, 08:02 PM

what if someone lifts up their shirt and has the words "drink pepsi" on them? where do you draw the line?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Darrell Green always pulled out a tootsie roll after he scored a touchdown.

Nalej
11-12-2009, 09:23 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlCGAfP9FRc

Job
11-12-2009, 09:32 PM
GlCGAfP9FRc

fixed it...

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Better than his hand signal for a dong.

11-12-2009, 09:59 PM
what if someone lifts up their shirt and has the words "drink pepsi" on them? where do you draw the line?

What if someone pulls their dick out and slaps a cheerleader with it?

Shiver
11-12-2009, 10:02 PM
There is a tremendous difference between honest, goodhearted fun and what Celek did. This is a cardinal rule that has been in existence ever since the NFL cracked down on Jim McMahon for having logos on his headband.

Job
11-12-2009, 10:29 PM
What if someone pulls their dick out and slaps a cheerleader with it?

I'd laugh. A lot.

vikes_28
11-13-2009, 01:33 AM
I understand why the NFL might have another reason to not let this happen. Its because there are children who look up to these athletes as "role models". Role models should not be celebrating a touchdown by demonstrating the Captain Morgan stance. Sure, its for a good cause, but its not something that you wanna see your 8 year old kid doing after a win at a pee-wee game.

Shiver
11-13-2009, 01:40 AM
I understand why the NFL might not want this to happen. Its because there are children who look up to these athletes as "role models". Role models should not be celebrating a touchdown by demonstrating the Captain Morgan stance. Sure, its for a good cause, but its not something that you wanna see your 8 year old kid doing after a win at a pee-wee game.

It has nothing to do with the children, it has everything to do with the fact that you cannot allow your players to use TD celebrations to advertise.

Flyboy
11-13-2009, 01:58 AM

You DO know that he was throwing up the ROC, right?

Jvig43
11-13-2009, 01:11 PM

No fun what so ever it the game of football, ever. Soon fans will start being fined for excessive celebrations in the stands, in the living rooms. NO FUN EVER.

Brent
11-13-2009, 05:36 PM
NO FUN EVER.
HEY! NO JOKES HERE! DONT YOU KNOW? NO FUN EVER!

Ever!

CC.SD
11-13-2009, 05:43 PM
You DO know that he was throwing up the ROC, right?

is ROC an abbreviation for genitalia that I don't know about?

11-13-2009, 05:47 PM
is ROC an abbreviation for genitalia that I don't know about?

Raunchy old ****.

Saints-Tigers
11-13-2009, 06:04 PM
To be fair, even Roger Goodell is down with the vag.

HawkeyeFan
11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Is this all Goodells rullings?

Sniper
11-14-2009, 12:01 PM
No fun what so ever it the game of football, ever.

Zero fun, sir!