PDA

View Full Version : How do I get a recruit recruited?

mat33
11-14-2009, 11:27 AM
My friend is a 6'4, 190lbs Sophmore QB with a big arm, how do I get schools to pay attention to him? We live in Canada and we don't often get players go to the States, but I honestly believe that he could play for a major program, in the provincial championship he scored 7 TDs(5 pass, 2 run) with no turnovers. He has not been proactive in getting recruiting and I was wondering what can I do to help him?

dabears10
11-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Post a video of his forty time comparing to Reggie Bush.

sbh15
11-14-2009, 02:07 PM
I am a failure. Wow.

Meant for that to go in the recruiting thread. Sorry.

jballa838
11-14-2009, 03:25 PM
IIRC, Sophomores can't really be recruited that heavily until their Junior seasons. Questionnaires are his best friend though.

BufFan71
11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
his best interest is too look into schools, and fill out those recruiter questionnares..

then he should have his coach send game film to recruiters..

but he should start off by sending them to d3, d2, d1aa schools

wicket
11-15-2009, 05:03 AM
get game film and send it to recruiting services. Scout & Rivals general forums will have someone who will help you further though. but make sure you have film, its vital

the_legend_killer
11-15-2009, 06:15 AM
Tell people he knows Jordy Nelson.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Honestly, he needs to go to camps in the states. Going to college camps is a great way to get noticed and see how he stacks up to other QBs.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-15-2009, 11:02 AM
Honestly, he needs to go to camps in the states. Going to college camps is a great way to get noticed and see how he stacks up to other QBs.

Exactly. One of my buddies went to camp after camp and he was getting noticed by his junior year by BCS schools. Also send out game film early in the process, my buddy waited way too long to do it, and by then most schools had all their slots filled up. And he was told by some other BCS schools that he would have been their top LB recruit but he had to wait till next year to get an offer, but he managed to find a d1 school with an opening and now he's at Utah State.

mat33
11-15-2009, 12:00 PM
I told him to get a highlight film ready, and that he should go to camps this summer, but I've never heard of questionaires. How would he get one, just email the football program?

jballa838
11-15-2009, 12:10 PM
most college's team's sites have a prospective student athlete questionnaire.

mat33
11-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Should he be filling those out for major programs, or d2, d3 teams? Or should he just fill out as many as he can?

jballa838
11-15-2009, 12:49 PM
have him just fill out as many as possible, and have him send his stuff to rivals and scout and all that to be evaluated. If he's good, someone will get him.

Prophet
12-07-2009, 01:36 PM
My friend is a 6'4, 190lbs Sophmore QB with a big arm, how do I get schools to pay attention to him? We live in Canada and we don't often get players go to the States, but I honestly believe that he could play for a major program, in the provincial championship he scored 7 TDs(5 pass, 2 run) with no turnovers. He has not been proactive in getting recruiting and I was wondering what can I do to help him?

Never gunna happen. Sorry to come out and say it.

The only recruits to come out of Canada on a consistant basis are O-Linemen. Not often will skill position guys make it down here and never has a QB ever done it. Just look at the CFL.. its Canada's own league and there are no Canadian QB's in it.
The best your friend may be able to hope for is CIS or NAIA. If he truly displays that he has an absolute canon at an American camp that may get him a perfered walk-on offer from a NCAA school, but then again i doubt it... there are too many strong armed kids already down here.

YAYareaRB
12-22-2009, 08:08 PM
No Harm in filling out questionares. Just to get his name in the databases. Get him a Rivals and Scout profile. Attend some camps in the US this summer. Call around. Most of the people that you see going to D1 Programs didn't do it by sitting around and praying. Get a highlight tape on the internet

superman8456
12-22-2009, 08:14 PM
No Harm in filling out questionares. Just to get his name in the databases. Get him a Rivals and Scout profile. Attend some camps in the US this summer. Call around. Most of the people that you see going to D1 Programs didn't do it by sitting around and praying. Get a highlight tape on the internet

How exactly do you get someone on rivals/scout if they have good game film?

brat316
12-22-2009, 08:23 PM
i wanna see, post youtube video.

YAYareaRB
12-22-2009, 10:20 PM
How exactly do you get someone on rivals/scout if they have good game film?

Rivals - http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/drawform.asp?form=334&SID=880

Fill it out. Some guy will call you asking additional questions and then you will be added to the database. Keep the number so if you have film you can get the details on how to upload it to your rivals profile.

Scout - I'm not totally sure how to get one of these. I had one but that was from attending numerous camps as a Junior and Senior in HS, then again in junior college.

KobeBryant833
05-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Send film to schools he's interested in and has the ability to play at. Then attend the summer camp. Call the coach first

fenikz
05-03-2010, 05:41 AM
2 options, switch to hockey or move to the US

KobeBryant833
05-03-2010, 10:57 AM
2 options, switch to hockey or move to the US

Call Boise State they take players from canada

yourfavestoner
05-03-2010, 11:09 AM
If I recall, there are scouting services you can contact who will put together a highlight tape for you and start getting your name out to colleges. They're essentially an agency service for high school kids.

I dunno what the cost is, though. I imagine it's not out-of-this-world but I could be wrong.

KobeBryant833
05-03-2010, 04:32 PM
If I recall, there are scouting services you can contact who will put together a highlight tape for you and start getting your name out to colleges. They're essentially an agency service for high school kids.

I dunno what the cost is, though. I imagine it's not out-of-this-world but I could be wrong.

At least $1000 or more, but if you do it on your own you can save hundreds of dollars and get to know the coaches personally.

tjsunstein
07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
He's 6'4 and 190. For schools to be seriously interested, he needs to get his weight up.

hoekd0250
08-26-2010, 11:42 AM
id be willing to help out if you could somehow get me some tape of the kid. Im currently trying to get my own recruiting service going.Although i am only 20 years old, I have three years experience coaching at the high school varsity level going onto my forth year. I currently coach linebackers and oline. I am also in charge of recruiting tapes for our team and help create the gameplans every week with our defensive coordinator, so breaking down the film and sending to colleges would not be a problem for me at all. let me know if you need any help Coach Derek Hoekstra email: hoekd0250@uwc.edu

mat33
09-21-2010, 05:16 PM
Finally got some tape on Youtube, here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg4TYNwSXeE

tjsunstein
09-21-2010, 05:19 PM
Send the tape to every school. Hope to hear back. Be persistent.

Vox Populi
09-25-2010, 12:12 AM
Never gunna happen. Sorry to come out and say it.

The only recruits to come out of Canada on a consistant basis are O-Linemen. Not often will skill position guys make it down here and never has a QB ever done it. Just look at the CFL.. its Canada's own league and there are no Canadian QB's in it.
The best your friend may be able to hope for is CIS or NAIA. If he truly displays that he has an absolute canon at an American camp that may get him a perfered walk-on offer from a NCAA school, but then again i doubt it... there are too many strong armed kids already down here.

Jesse Palmer is going to burn your house down.

Bosanac01
09-25-2010, 01:17 AM
your friend is only a sophomore so that's good, he has more time to get better. He's not gonna play for a major program. I suggest getting him in the weight room and getting him stronger. He really needs more zip on the ball... like a lot more, if he even want's to dream about a scholarship anywhere in the US.

He can only do so much, those things come naturally. It's good getting him out there though.

cajuncorey
12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Exactly. One of my buddies went to camp after camp and he was getting noticed by his junior year by BCS schools. Also send out game film early in the process, my buddy waited way too long to do it, and by then most schools had all their slots filled up. And he was told by some other BCS schools that he would have been their top LB recruit but he had to wait till next year to get an offer, but he managed to find a d1 school with an opening and now he's at Utah State.

that has to be connor williams