PDA

View Full Version : QB Andrew Luck

foozball
11-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Wow. This kid is good. Seems like he has all the raw tools to be a 1st rounder. Size at 6'4 235lbs and a very good arm. He's shown he can squeeze the ball into small windows and he's got scary good accuracy for a freshman QB. Everyone talks about how good Barkley is at USC, but I think Luck is the better prospect.

SuperKevin
11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
WAY too early to be talking about this kid's draft potential

Babylon
11-14-2009, 05:18 PM
I dont think he's on Barkley's level yet but he's going to be a good one, Gabbert would be somewhere in that Freshmen discussion i would think.

tjsunstein
11-14-2009, 05:26 PM
He's good for his age but not in the same tier as Barkley.

Saints-Tigers
11-14-2009, 06:08 PM
I guess Luck's better play in the last game, and on the season is due to the caliber of teammate he has at Stanford. I feel sorry for Barkley, USC try putting some talent around him.

Put Barkley in the same conference as Luck, and this wouldn't be a discussion.

Babylon
11-14-2009, 06:37 PM
I guess Luck's better play in the last game, and on the season is due to the caliber of teammate he has at Stanford. I feel sorry for Barkley, USC try putting some talent around him.

Translated we shouldnt be having a discussion?

d34ng3l021
11-14-2009, 07:17 PM
I definitely agree. After watching him against Oregon, I was very impressed with his accuracy. I think he is going to become a good prospect down the line if he can improve his decision making and defense reading ability. His accuracy is uncanny for a freshman.

SuperKevin
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM

Ummm. They both play in the Pac 10. Last I checked that IS the same conference

Babylon
11-14-2009, 07:35 PM

I thought it was just me, i've had so many beers since the Huskies got their clocks cleaned i wasnt sure what i was reading.

Shane P. Hallam
11-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Sure, but USC has to play like Cal, and Oregon and UCLA and stuff. Not like Stanford ever has to face them.

Saints-Tigers
11-14-2009, 09:13 PM
LOL, and I really believe that Stanford has more talent than USC.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. Point is, Luck plays for a less talented team, in the same conference, and his numbers look a lot more impressive, and he's probably more physically talented.

Not that barkley has been bad, but "he's not on Barkley's tier" is ridiculous, and backed by nothing but high school recruiting rankings.

But he is a redshirt and not a true freshman, that's the argument I see now.

P-L
11-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Andrew Luck was no slouch in High School. Rivals had him rated as the #68 overall player in the country.

FUNBUNCHER
11-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Luck looks like he's tracking towards the first round in 2013. I think the comparison to Barkley is a fair, valid and natural one, except that Luck has been in the Stanford program a year longer than Barkley has been at USC, however this is the first year starting for both.

People may have to accept the fact that Barkley may never be quite as good as advertised as a college QB.
What I do know is that after watching that game, if I had to pick either QB to build my college program around, I'd choose Luck over Barkley

GoBroncos
11-14-2009, 09:47 PM
He was a BEAST tonight. I like what I saw.

Staubach12
11-14-2009, 10:02 PM
I really like Luck. Good size, good arm, and what accuracy! It's waaay early, but he looks like he'll be a great prospect.

ElectricEye
11-14-2009, 10:09 PM
Luck looks like he's tracking towards the first round in 2013. I think the comparison to Barkley is a fair, valid and natural one, except that Luck has been in the Stanford program a year longer than Barkley has been at USC, however this is the first year starting for both.

People may have to accept the fact that Barkley may never be quite as good as advertised as a college QB.
What I do know is that after watching that game, if I had to pick either QB to build my college program around, I'd choose Luck over Barkley

Oh my god. This is just. Stop it. Please. Barkley has played nine games in his career. Lay off. Seriously? We're talking about freshmen discerningly now? That's just...wrong. On so many levels. At this rate we're going to be like the basketball people and talking about 8th graders with a straight face.

FUNBUNCHER
11-14-2009, 10:16 PM
What's the big deal, ElectricEye? Both QBs are first year starters, and the fact that Barkley was hyped as God's second son from the minute he declared to USC, I think it's fair to compare him to a RS frosh QB playing for Stanford.

I'm just saying, all-world HS prospects don't always become #1 overall picks.
I live in Virginia and remember the hype surrounding Ronald Curry coming out of Hampton HS. Some people called him the greatest HS QB prospect EVER and guaranteed the kid was a 1st round lock before he ever took a snap for the Tarheels.

My only point was it doesn't always work out that way.

IMO Luck so far looks better than Barkley with less talent around him, take it for what you will.

djp
11-14-2009, 10:20 PM
Let's not forget that Luck has arguably the best back in the country helping him out.

It's way too early. Let's not forget the Rudy Carpenter love on here after he took over for Andrew Walter...

cdmPSU17
11-14-2009, 10:48 PM
FWIW McShay said he thought Luck was a better pro prospect than Barkley this past Thursday on SportsCenter. Pretty high praise. Should be really fun watching these two battle it out the next 2-3 seasons.

MiWolves
11-14-2009, 10:49 PM
What's the big deal, ElectricEye? Both QBs are first year starters, and the fact that Barkley was hyped as God's second son from the minute he declared to USC, I think it's fair to compare him to a RS frosh QB playing for Stanford.

I live in Virginia and remember the hype surrounding Ronald Curry coming out of Hampton HS. Some people called him the greatest HS QB prospect EVER and guaranteed the kid was a 1st round lock before he ever took a snap for the Tarheels.

IMO Luck so far looks better than Barkley with less talent around him, take it for what you will.

Keep in mind that Luck had one more year to learn the playbook then Barkley and he also probably have more chemistry with his teammates also.

FUNBUNCHER
11-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I know that MiWolves, but by next season if Barkley fans lean on the excuse that Luck was at Stanford a year longer than Barkley and that's why theoretically Luck outperforms Barkley in the future, it won't carry much credibility.
If in 3 years Luck is considered the superior pro prospect, going back to the rationale that one player is a RS and the other is not won't count for much.

There isn't a huge difference between the two in terms of performance this year, just that Luck has played a little better than Barkley thus far.

The real issue with USC this season isn't their frosh QB, it's what the heck happened to their D??

Little more leadership there, Mr. Mays.

Get those mofos in check!! Regulate!!!

ElectricEye
11-14-2009, 11:07 PM

What's wrong is that both quarterbacks are in there first year starting. They aren't NFL prospects and shouldn't be looked at like someone who's declaring. Both of them are still learning the game at the college level. It's not "fair" to compare any freshman to freshman. The Rudy Carpenter's and Charlie Whitehurst's or the world are testament to that.

It's obvious that big time high school players don't always pan out. Everybody knows that. Rivals isn't an NFL prospect site. But that's a two way street. You can't say a guy "just isn't going to be what people thought he would" like he's played three damned seasons in college after nine games and less than a year in a complicated, pro style offense. It's just as wrong to erupt in praise after a little early success for someone too. Football is more like baseball than it is basketball. You can't judge a guy by his early struggles or lack of success out of the shoot. It just doesn't work that way.

romo4prez415
11-15-2009, 01:05 AM
LOL, and I really believe that Stanford has more talent than USC.

Sarcasm doesn't translate well over the internet. Point is, Luck plays for a less talented team, in the same conference, and his numbers look a lot more impressive, and he's probably more physically talented.

Not that barkley has been bad, but "he's not on Barkley's tier" is ridiculous, and backed by nothing but high school recruiting rankings.

But he is a redshirt and not a true freshman, that's the argument I see now.

Keep preaching. Right on the money. Luck looks to be in the Troy Aikman and Carson Palmer type of mold. He has all the attributes needed to be a franchise qb and if he continues to improve he could be the best qb prospect since Peyton Manning.

romo4prez415
11-15-2009, 01:08 AM
Let's not forget that Luck has arguably the best back in the country helping him out.

It's way too early. Let's not forget the Rudy Carpenter love on here after he took over for Andrew Walter...

When Rudy Carpenter is ever as physically gifted as Luck let me know.

JFLO
11-15-2009, 07:57 AM
I realize it's early and everything but I believe that Luck and Barkley are the two quarterbacks to watch throughout their college career because both definitely have the potential to be a high first round pick in 2012/2013.

I definitely like Barkley more at this point. He has such a mature game for his age and he is only going to get better.

Another player to watch is Rutgers QB Tom Savage. He's been starting nearly all season long as a freshman as well and he should be an interesting player to watch as well. Prototypical height and arm.

djp
11-15-2009, 08:59 AM
When Rudy Carpenter is ever as physically gifted as Luck let me know.

That's not the point. I am just saying, Rudy Carpenter and Whitehurst (good mention by somebody earlier) got a crapload of hype after hot starts to their careers and ended up faltering.

Let's not start the hype machine this quickly.. there is a thing called body of work that should be established for any prospect, especially a quarterback. He clearly has some great tools to work with, but I just feel this is premature.

ElectricEye
11-15-2009, 09:15 AM
For the record, I like both Luck and Barkley a lot. I've always been very high on Luck and I COULD see him developing into a better player down the line, but it's just absolutely silly to be talking about freshmen like they're coming out. Like djp said, no body of work for either of these guys yet.

DiG
11-15-2009, 11:00 AM
ive been saying it for weeks. andrew luck is the best qb and best nfl qb prospect in college football. when its said and done he will be the best prospect in the last 6-8 years at the position. the kid is the real deal.

Texas Homer
11-15-2009, 11:21 AM
I think Luck is better than Barkley(no offense to Barkley). I also think Luck will end up being a top 3 pick in the draft whenever he comes out.

Babylon
11-15-2009, 11:34 AM
ive been saying it for weeks. andrew luck is the best qb and best nfl qb prospect in college football. when its said and done he will be the best prospect in the last 6-8 years at the position. the kid is the real deal.

First off he isnt close to the best QB in college ball and he's a RS freshman so he has a ways to go as a prospect. As of now i'd have him behind Gabbert and Barkley in the freshman class. Obviously you like him.

foozball
11-15-2009, 02:35 PM
First off he isnt close to the best QB in college ball and he's a RS freshman so he has a ways to go as a prospect. As of now i'd have him behind Gabbert and Barkley in the freshman class. Obviously you like him.

Isn't Gabbert a soph?

Babylon
11-15-2009, 02:38 PM
Isn't Gabbert a soph?

I think you're correct.

kwilk103
11-16-2009, 01:14 AM
fwiw, luck's dad is oliver luck; former wvu qb and a 2nd round pick; hes currently the gm of the houston mls team and is on wvu board of governors

niel89
11-16-2009, 01:58 AM
I get to watch Luck every week and he is very good for a for his first year starting. He is very accurate, some of the Oregon game throws made my jaw drop. They were on the money completely. He is pretty mobile and can make some good plays with his feet. He has good size and the measureables that you look for in a QB. He benefits greatly from a great running game (at least 8 in the box all the time) and especially outstanding playcalling. Stanford has been calling great plays the past 2 weeks. They know when to take shots and when to run draws and what Luck is capable of doing. They make sure that he is not given too much at one time.. The passing game is thriving off of the play action, and they often utilize rollouts to allow him to use his legs. Its gonna be fun to see him and deep threat Chris Owusu develop together over the next few years.

I would have to say wait till next year to try to judge these two. They will have one year of starting each and will have been through a full season.

baronzeus
11-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Just a thought from watching Luck in every game this season.

1) He plays behind an awesome line and in front of a great RB/FB.

That said...

2) His wide receivers are nothing impressive. None of them will play WR in the next level.

3) His RB/TE aren't great pass catchers either.

4) His accuracy is IMPECCABLE -- outside of one game against a very impressive Cal secondary -- and he makes generally good decisions.

5) He's a freshman and will hopefully improve over the coming 2 years.

6) He's certainly the best freshman QB I've seen in the past 10 years. If he continues his trajectory he will easily be a first round pick.

d34ng3l021
11-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Yeah. I watched his game against Oregon and as much as Gerhart amazed me, Luck was much more intriguing as a prospect. The accuracy he showed was ridiculous; you can coach accuracy to a point, but him showing that much accuracy as a freshman is very impressive. He definitely has the potential to be special. Seeing as he is a local QB, I think I am going to pimp him for the next few years.

Babylon
11-28-2009, 11:03 AM

That said...

2) His wide receivers are nothing impressive. None of them will play WR in the next level.

4) His accuracy is IMPECCABLE -- outside of one game against a very impressive Cal secondary -- and he makes generally good decisions.

6) He's certainly the best freshman QB I've seen in the past 10 years. If he continues his trajectory he will easily be a first round pick.

He's been great for a RS freshman but struggled under pressure against Cal. Not sure if i'd take him over Barkley who i think has a better arm and can really see the field, it wll be interesting to see them two dook it out for the next couple of years.

SuperKevin
11-28-2009, 11:05 AM

That said...

Umm. Chris Owusu is a pretty solid WR for Stanford

baronzeus
11-28-2009, 04:07 PM
Umm. Chris Owusu is a pretty solid WR for Stanford

I wish I could express my disappointment in Owusu. He's got outstanding speed and vision, but runs poor routes and drops too many balls.

Oregon State game, they plan all week to throw him deep on the first play...he breaks out, Luck puts it in his hands 40 yards down the field, and he bobbles it. Stanford ends up losing the game.

Owusu is an outstanding special teams player but NOT a good WR and certainly won't play WR at the next level unless he greatly improves his hands.

baronzeus
11-28-2009, 04:09 PM
He's been great for a RS freshman but struggled under pressure against Cal. Not sure if i'd take him over Barkley who i think has a better arm and can really see the field, it wll be interesting to see them two dook it out for the next couple of years.

I think Barkley is too inconsistent to be considered a great prospect right now. Luck is better right now, but I don't think that means that Barkley isn't going to be better in a few years.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
FWIW McShay said he thought Luck was a better pro prospect than Barkley this past Thursday on SportsCenter. Pretty high praise. Should be really fun watching these two battle it out the next 2-3 seasons.

And Mel Kiper also said earlier this year that when Barkley decides to come out, he will be the number 1 pick of the draft....FWIW