PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech

bigbuc
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Hey guys just want to ask what you think of him? Dude is no joke big! Looks like he can run... Has big hands. He's raw. Do you guys think he comes out this year? Don't think it would help him to stay because of the O they run at Tech.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Either both he and Dwyer stay or both go. I think if they win out they will definitely leave, but if they say lose in the ACC championship or get crushed in a BCS bowl game I can see both staying to go for a title run next year. You are right to say he won't benefit from staying. Really I can't see him matching his output from this season. His production is astonishing considering he only gets 2-5 targets a game. Based on raw tools purely I'd take him in the top 20 picks. Guys with his size and athletic ability just don't come around often. He's probably the #1 jump ball guy in America. If you throw it anywhere within 10 yards of him he will come down with it. Guys his size usually aren't vertical threats. The problem though is there is no basis on his route running. He runs one route. Still though the fact that he's so big, can run, has strong hands, and is the best blocking WR in the draft is enough for me to overlook the issues of him playing in the spread option offense. I just see his skills translating to the NFL. I think he is much likelier to end up an impact NFL player than Dwyer.

SuperKevin
11-16-2009, 03:06 PM
There are a few issues with Thomas. One, he's not expected to have strong timed speed. I'm reading he's no faster than a 4.6 guy. He looks a lot faster on TV but that's because with 8 men up in the box to stop the option he's usually a good 15 yards down field before the defense knows it's a pass. Also with the 8 men up in the box, he's very rarely covered in man to man as a lot of defenses play a zone defense with their deep men against Tech. People are going to have serious questions about his ability to gain separation and his ability to make catches in traffic.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
He's a long strider though. Vertical speed I think is a non issue. I think his biggest test will be how he performs in agility tests and how he looks running routes. The success of someone like Vincent Jackson though I think definitely makes him an in demand commodity. You can draft a 5-10" dynamo in the mid rounds, but someone with his size and ability is just not common to every draft. I'm jmuch higher on him than most people, and yes I do recognize the issues surrounding him.

SuperKevin
11-16-2009, 03:09 PM
He's a long strider though. Vertical speed I think is a non issue. I think his biggest test will be how he performs in agility tests and how he looks running routes. The success of someone like Vincent Jackson though I think definitely makes him an in demand commodity. You can draft a 5-10" dynamo in the mid rounds, but someone with his size and ability is just not common to every draft. I'm jmuch higher on him than most people, and yes I do recognize the issues surrounding him.

I like him a lot too mainly because a value downfield blocking at WR more than most people do.

hagy34
11-16-2009, 03:31 PM
From what I've seen he's pretty darn good. He's actually my favorite WR prospect, as I think he'd be a complete monster in a different offense. He just makes plays. If you've seen him play, you see time and time again that he goes up and snatches the football. Great hands. Big body. He seems fast enough to me.

Brandon Marshall doesn't have great timed speed either....

I think he'll go in round one.

DiG
11-16-2009, 03:34 PM
demaryius is a stud. hell get drafted ahead of dwyer and he should. he may not be the fastest wr but he makes plays. he knows how to go up and get the ball and hes very difficult to defend. late first or early second would be my guess and deservingly.

DeadEagle
11-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Because he only runs one route at GT..... I wanna see if he can make a cut before I decide where he should go.

Cicero
11-16-2009, 05:40 PM
There are a few issues with Thomas. One, he's not expected to have strong timed speed. I'm reading he's no faster than a 4.6 guy. He looks a lot faster on TV but that's because with 8 men up in the box to stop the option he's usually a good 15 yards down field before the defense knows it's a pass. Also with the 8 men up in the box, he's very rarely covered in man to man as a lot of defenses play a zone defense with their deep men against Tech. People are going to have serious questions about his ability to gain separation and his ability to make catches in traffic.

Did you see his TD grab last weekend? He put distance on Duke's corner both on the route and then after the catch as well, and that guys is supposed to have 4.45 speed. There is no way Thomas only runs a 4.6.

thenewfeature06
11-16-2009, 05:46 PM
He is a boss, he leads the ACC in recieving yards by 200 ..in an OPTION OFFENSE. very physical and bigger wideouts seem to benefit in the NFL ala
Marshall, Vincent, Boldin..who i think resembles him the most

BuddyCHRIST
11-16-2009, 06:01 PM
I think he's a top 2 rounder but I agree that I think he'll make an impact in the NFL. He'll probably hinge alot on workouts and what not, as his 40 time and how he looks in drills will probably do alot for him. If he runs a sub 4.5 he'll shoot up.

Cigaro
11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Maybe it's already been asked or answer, but I've always wondered(well, always as in since the beginning of this season); why does his jersey read 'B. Thomas'?

You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1TMcNB_vA&feature=related

BigBanger
11-16-2009, 06:16 PM
Did you see his TD grab last weekend? He put distance on Duke's corner both on the route and then after the catch as well, and that guys is supposed to have 4.45 speed. There is no way Thomas only runs a 4.6.
Well, he very well could, but that means less than nothing. Quickness and ability to separate are the two things that can make a good WR. You add in his physical ability (Leaping ability, ball skills, ability to adjust to poorly thrown balls (and he's seen plenty of that), bodying and positioning, size, strength, length, ect), which are little things that give him that edge to get open... even when he's covered. Now, if he can't change directions and he's slow, then he's James Hardy.

At the end of the day, the guy is a specimen that runs fast in pads. All he has to do is show a good ability to change directions. Everyone knows he doesn't run more than 3 routes and he's incredibly raw, but the way he plays the game is something that is and should be coveted amongst WRs.

Maybe it's already been asked or answer, but I've always wondered(well, always as in since the beginning of this season); why does his jersey read 'B. Thomas'?

You can see it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1TMcNB_vA&feature=related
Nickname is Bebe (Don't know the spelling) or something like that.

tjsunstein
11-16-2009, 06:27 PM

Classic case of timed speed and game speed. It's not like they don't know it's going to Thomas when they decide to pass. He's caught 39/58 completions this year. I saw someone make the same point in the Chris Johnson thread about big plays. You can't discount them and look at his stats without them if they are coming every week. My guess is he runs around 4.5. Some team will take the chance on him in the early second. Make him into a little project and most likely put him behind some vets.

draftguru151
11-16-2009, 06:37 PM
From what I've seen he's pretty darn good. He's actually my favorite WR prospect, as I think he'd be a complete monster in a different offense. He just makes plays. If you've seen him play, you see time and time again that he goes up and snatches the football. Great hands. Big body. He seems fast enough to me.

Brandon Marshall doesn't have great timed speed either....

I think he'll go in round one.

And then drops the ball. Thomas' size/strength and ability to locate the ball are amazing but his hands are not good. I really like Thomas because I think he could be a bigger TO if he develops the things that he doesn't do in GTs offense but his hands need to get a lot better before I would take him in the first round.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 06:38 PM
He's a long strider. Maybe in a 40 yd dash he's a 4.6+, but if he ran a 60 he'd probably be in the top 10 for WR's.

hagy34
11-16-2009, 06:41 PM
I'm fairly confident that he will end up going in the 1st Round. I don't think the offense he plays in will have a big effect on where he actually ends up. We've seen plenty of guys who really lacked college production go very high in round one. He's shown plenty of flash from a WR standpoint and has way more upside than other WR's who will also be in the 1st round conversation.

P-L
11-16-2009, 07:32 PM
It's not like they don't know it's going to Thomas when they decide to pass.
Teams never know when they are going to pass, so he gets a lot of single coverage.

tjsunstein
11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Teams never know when they are going to pass, so he gets a lot of single coverage.

That's also true. And for someone who said they would like to see him run a different route; I hate to break it to you but Georgia Tech wouldn't do that. Their offense sets up perfectly for the go. A simple hesitation by the corner gives Thomas seperation. Why fix it if it's not broken?

SeanTaylorRIP
11-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I'm fairly confident that he will end up going in the 1st Round. I don't think the offense he plays in will have a big effect on where he actually ends up. We've seen plenty of guys who really lacked college production go very high in round one. He's shown plenty of flash from a WR standpoint and has way more upside than other WR's who will also be in the 1st round conversation.

No one's questioning his production. In fact his production is on par with a first round pick. In fact he has over 200 yards, and 2 TD's more than Damian Williams in the USC offense. Actually compared to other top guys in Benn and Dez's incomplete season Thomas is the most productive which is shocking considering the looks he gets. The problem isn't production,the problem is that all he runs is a fly. We don't get to see anything else from him in the offense. All we know about him right now is that he's big, fairly fast, is a monster at grabbing the ball out of the air, and is the top blocking WR in the draft. How he runs routes in workouts is what will eventually determine where he is drafted. IMO if he impresses enough running routes and runs anywhere in the 4.5 range I can easily see a team loving him and possibly taking him in the top 15 as the 2nd wideout after Dez considering Benn's lack of production. Hell if DHB can be drafted over Crabtree and Maclin, why can't a guy like Thomas be drafted in the top 10 with his rare physical abilities and blocking if he is able to impress in workouts.

JFLO
11-16-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm not the biggest fan of Thomas'. He is going to enter the NFL extremely raw and will need some time to improve his route running abilities. He isn't going to be able to run the fly/streak route like he is at Tech because he isn't fast enough to do that at the next level.

I don't think I would take him until the late 2nd/late 3rd.

draftguru151
11-16-2009, 09:16 PM
That's also true. And for someone who said they would like to see him run a different route; I hate to break it to you but Georgia Tech wouldn't do that. Their offense sets up perfectly for the go. A simple hesitation by the corner gives Thomas seperation. Why fix it if it's not broken?

Because that's now what's going to happen in the pros? I don't think anyone expects GT to change their offense, it's just a fact that it's an unknown about Thomas at this point.

tjsunstein
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Because that's now what's going to happen in the pros? I don't think anyone expects GT to change their offense, it's just a fact that it's an unknown about Thomas at this point.

Oh no, that isn't what's going to happen in the pros. I never intended to imply that. Simply, you won't see him successfully run another route at GT.

BamaFalcon59
11-16-2009, 10:37 PM
A stouter Marcus Colston with less route running ability IMO.

Ravens1991
11-16-2009, 11:42 PM
He was born on christmas day, that would be a good luck charm

TitansCJftw
11-17-2009, 01:39 AM
i'm not really sure what all the hype about this guy is... he's 6'3" 220 something and he does nothing except run deep one on one vs 5'10" corners and catch jump balls and his seperation from the corners is predicated on the triple option that will fail when paul johnson loses chan gailey's D1 talent, i see so many calling him a first round pick but i don't see it at all and you can quote me that it wont happen there's not a chance... almost the same goes for dwyer, do i think he can produce in the nfl... absolutely its a possibility but to me any team going for him in the early rounds is reaching badly

BamaFalcon59
11-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Dwyer is 6'0" 235 with speed.

He is going in the early rounds.

JDR2882
11-17-2009, 11:49 PM
Agree on Jon Dwyer. Have seen a couple of his games this year and his size/speed combo is very intriguing. I like his power (even if it is inconsistent) and his ability to break arm tackles.

hagy34
11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Dwyer is 6'0" 235 with speed.

He is going in the early rounds.

Dwyer is going in the 1st round. I know people have questions about him but he will be a 1st rounder.

SenorGato
11-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Dwyer is going in the 1st round. I know people have questions about him but he will be a 1st rounder.

Yep. He's the most physically talented feature back in this class. If he goes outside of the first it's a huge steal, and that's not something I usually say about RBs.

He's probably the only RB I'd use a first round pick on. No clue what he's done to generate hate as a prospect.

BamaFalcon59
11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
Yea.

Not to mention he is my friends cousin!

Ha.. I remember him telling me he was going to start as a true freshman, and I was like nahhhh Tashard Choice is a beast.

I mean, I was right. But still lol.

LonghornsLegend
12-06-2009, 09:35 AM
I really didn't read through this entire thread, but am I the only one that sees alot of Anquan Boldin with him? He seems like he'll be a great YAC guy at the next level, great hands, strength, I don't care if he can run a 4.4 or not he seems like he has an NFL future and should be able to out muscle most NFL DB's.

I came away impressed the few times I've seen him.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-06-2009, 07:29 PM
Top 3 WR in this draft along with Bryant and Gilyard.

Nalej
12-06-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm hoping the Pats nab him in the 2nd. Him along with B. Tate would set the WR group of the future.
He can learn under R. Moss.... scary

Hines
12-06-2009, 08:56 PM
I really didn't read through this entire thread, but am I the only one that sees alot of Anquan Boldin with him? He seems like he'll be a great YAC guy at the next level, great hands, strength, I don't care if he can run a 4.4 or not he seems like he has an NFL future and should be able to out muscle most NFL DB's.

I agree on the Q comparison. I was going to compare him to Boldin untill I saw you do it.

adamprez2003
12-08-2009, 03:25 PM
i think demaryius would be a great pickup in the 3rd round. if you spend a 2nd its an average pick and if you spend a 1st its a horrible pick. 3rd round gives you the couple of years you'll need to teach him technique and it also compensates for the huge bust factor he carries. having said that this guy could be great if he can put it together at the next level. he's the carlos dunlap of receivers. really depends on how much of a gambler you have in you

murdamal86
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Top WR in this draft .

Fixed for accuracy :-)

TitansCJftw
03-20-2010, 01:00 AM
i'm not really sure what all the hype about this guy is... he's 6'3" 220 something and he does nothing except run deep one on one vs 5'10" corners and catch jump balls and his seperation from the corners is predicated on the triple option that will fail when paul johnson loses chan gailey's D1 talent, i see so many calling him a first round pick but i don't see it at all and you can quote me that it wont happen there's not a chance... almost the same goes for dwyer, do i think he can produce in the nfl... absolutely its a possibility but to me any team going for him in the early rounds is reaching badly

just wanted to bump this and say that i stand by my comments

GoRavens
03-20-2010, 01:25 AM
Jonathan Dwyer is not a first rounder by any means.
Spiller, Matthews, Best, Gerhart, and Hardesty are all more talented than him, & I could see him slipping to the early third.

Buc Baller12
04-11-2010, 12:36 AM
What is the time frame for Thomas to make a full recovery for his foot? will he be able to go for those rookie OTA's right after the draft?

FrankGore
04-11-2010, 12:51 AM
Jonathan Dwyer is not a first rounder by any means.
Spiller, Matthews, Best, Gerhart, and Hardesty are all more talented than him, & I could see him slipping to the early third.

If Marion Barber can go in the 4th, Jon Dwyer can definitely go later than that.

katnip
04-11-2010, 01:07 AM

beat me to it. About to make a Boldin comparison comment

TACKLE
04-17-2010, 11:39 AM
There are talks that a lot of his stock is dependent on his 40 time but how much should Bay-Bay's forty time effect his draft stock? He is coming off a broken foot and has not been able to put the time in speed training that the other prospects have. To expect him to come back and the same times he ran before the injury would be unfair just because of circumstance. If he runs in the low 4.5's considering his situation, I'd still be impressed.

Babylon
04-17-2010, 11:56 AM
There are talks that a lot of his stock is dependent on his 40 time but how much should Bay-Bay's forty time effect his draft stock? He is coming off a broken foot and has not been able to put the time in speed training that the other prospects have. To expect him to come back and the same times he ran before the injury would be unfair just because of circumstance. If he runs in the low 4.5's considering his situation, I'd still be impressed.

Sort of what you're seeing with Eric Decker, they havent been able to run so you have to go off interviews and game film. I think the two situations will drop both of these guys a bit.

A Perfect Score
04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
If I were advising Thomas right now, I'd most likely tell him not to bother running. The rumors if him running a sub 4.4 at 6'3 230, combined with some apparently excellent interviews, were enough to substantiate a significant rise in his stock to where he is almost considered a surefire first rounder at this point, and hes almost certainly leapfrogged Tate and Benn as the #2 receiver in most schemes. I think that even after the foot injury if he runs a slow 40 it will hurt his stock at this point. If it isnt broken (or in this case, is), dont try and fix it. I think running will only hurt him, but we will see.

LonghornsLegend
04-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Exactly, running at this point is only going to hurt him. He's going in the 1st round as it is right now. Best thing Crabtree did last off-season was not run the 40 yard dash and not have people over analyze his straight line speed.

Mr.Regular
04-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Wooooah slow down there. Dwyer in the first round? I think he's a third rounder at best. Id be more shocked to see him go round 1 then I would be to see him go on day 3.

the_dark_knight
04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
These Dwyer comments are very old, yet still funny

Babylon
04-17-2010, 01:03 PM
From game film Thomas looks like a mid 4.5 guy to me which isnt bad for his size. Running now wouldnt be a wise move.

V.I.P
04-18-2010, 01:33 PM
From rotoworld

Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas (foot) is reportedly working out for Rams scouts on Sunday.

It appears Thomas will not hold a Pro Day-style workout as originally reported by ESPN's Chris Mortensen, but that he is healthy enough to go through drills. Thomas, who broke his foot before the Combine, may be on St. Louis' radar with the No. 33 overall pick should he fall out of the first round.

Babylon
04-18-2010, 01:49 PM
From rotoworld

He'd give Sam Bradford a nice big target to throw to, that would seem like a good place for him to go.

V.I.P
04-18-2010, 02:19 PM
He'd give Sam Bradford a nice big target to throw to, that would seem like a good place for him to go.

Yeah i see The Rams go WR at the top of the 2nd, only way they don't go WR is if a defensive player they have rated highly on their board slips out the 1st round.