PDA

View Full Version : Rank the NFC East and their likely records next season.

GiantRutgersFan
03-11-2007, 12:59 AM
I know the draft is still ahead, as well as free agency, but still do it just for fun.

Also I think a good idea for a forum would be to have a divisional forum, like what we have for team forums.

Anyways heres what I think and why

Giants (11-5)- I think the G-Men, when healthy, are a great football team. Last year we had the most difficult schedule in the league. This year is a cakewalk in comparasion. Plus i predict a breakout season for Eli

Eagles (10-6)- Not too much has changed for the Eagles. This is assuming that Mcnabb doesnt suffer a hangover from that injury, or suffer another one... In a way this is a make or break season for Mcnabb. If he struggles or doesnt finish the season out, theres gonna be a lot of talk about him. But I think the Eagles are gonna be about the same as they were last year. They got a solid team and should make the Playoffs as a wildcard.

Cowboys (9-7)- I really dont know what they lack on offense. They have 2 great recievers, a good running attack, a good TE, and a top 10 offensive line. However, I think that Romo is more of a flash in the pan, rather then a great QB. Not that I think he will suck, but I think that he will be a pretty average QB next year. Plus theres some question marks on D.

Redskins (5-11)- they made some offseason moves, but they always do. I think that they are gonna regress this season. There complete lack of a draft (minus #6 overall) is gonna come back to hurt them imo. Plus they have an inexpeirenced QB

tEk
03-11-2007, 01:11 AM
is it me or do you start an ungodly amount of threads?

anyways the east of the national conference

New York Giants 11-5

Philadelphia Eagles 10-6

Washington Redskins 8-8

Dallas Cowboys 7-9

FLORIDA PACKER
03-11-2007, 01:20 AM
IMO 2nd toughest division in the NFL, the first being the AFC North.

1. Eagles 11-5

2. Dallas 10-6

3. Giants 10-6

4. Redskins 7-9

tEk
03-11-2007, 01:22 AM
IMO 2nd toughest division in the NFL, the first being the AFC North.

1. Eagles 11-5

2. Dallas 10-6

3. Giants 10-6

4. Redskins 7-9
so you think that the skins win almost all of their non conference games?

DMWSackMachine
03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
Lol @ the thread....but anyway...

Dallas (12-4)
Philly (11-5)
NYG (7-9)
Wash (4-12)

Number 10
03-11-2007, 01:35 AM
Way too early for this but as of right now-

Eagles (11-5)

Cowboys (10-6)

Giants (10-6)

Redskins (5-11)

Shiver
03-11-2007, 01:40 AM
I am so sick of the NFC East. That one division dominates this whole forum. You will not see a cornucopia of threads specifically about any other division. It simply does not happen.

49ersfan_87
03-11-2007, 01:44 AM
I am so sick of the NFC East. That one division dominates this whole forum. You will not see a cornucopia of threads specifically about any other division. It simply does not happen.

I know, im sick of it too.

BTW, OT, that reminds me. Are you guys going to be doing those division roundups? I think you did one for NFC North and AFC North too

Shiver
03-11-2007, 01:49 AM
Interest really died down. So I don't know what the plan is.

49ersfan_87
03-11-2007, 01:52 AM
Interest really died down. So I don't know what the plan is.

Ah. Thats a shame, i enjoyed them.

elway777
03-11-2007, 01:52 AM
I agree Shiver, NFC East and the Big10 dominate this forum.

Shiver
03-11-2007, 01:59 AM
I agree Shiver, NFC East and the Big10 dominate this forum.

Not only does it dominate the threads, in terms of percentages. Homers are much more plentiful. It's painful to read most of it.

D-Unit
03-11-2007, 03:19 AM
Eagles (9-7) - Depth should be a concern
Cowboys (9-7) - New coach, new system = adjustment year
Giants (8-8) - Tiki's loss will be worse than expected
Redskins (7-9) - Gibbs will not coach after this

Geo
03-11-2007, 04:01 AM
It's not even April yet, and we're already knee-deep in threads about this overrated division. Asininity at its best.

Modano
03-11-2007, 04:28 AM
Plus theres some question marks on D.

I don't know who's gonna win the division and I really don't know who is the better team, but how can you say the Cowboys will have a worst record than the Giants in part because they have some question marks on D?
If there's a team with some problems on defense this team is New York. You lost both your starting OLBs, youe DTs are still so and so, Strahan is getting old, and your CBs, wow they're ugly. Will Demps is not good and I don't know if Gibril Wilson could bounce back afther last season.
The Cowboys have problems on defense (they will find a truce centerfield? they will put some pressure? the new scheme can help them with coverage issues?), and they have some questions on offense (will Davis perform well? will Romo bounce back? will Glenn and Owens have an injury-free season? will Garrett be a good OC? Was Colombo a one year wonder? Can Flozell play solid?), but the Giants' defense is pretty ugly.

omecool20
03-11-2007, 07:04 AM
1-Redskins
2-Eagles
3- Cowboys
4- Giants

I am basing that on how the Skins n the Eagles have been relatively stable in the FA market. Boys n Giants have some holes n new personnel integration stuff to deal with.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 07:24 AM
This easy:

1. Cowboys 13-3
2. Eagles 10-6
3. Redskins 8-8
4. Giants 6-10

GiantsRutgersFan, are you serious? The Giants are easily the worst team in the East right now. You have no secondary, no linebackers besides peirce, Strahan is average now, and Osi gets hurt all the time. ANd offense, you lost tiki. And we have question, the only whole on the Cowboys entire team is FS.

The giants are lucky to pick out of the top 10 in next years draft.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 08:31 AM
This is a bit ridiculous to get it going at such an early stage on discussions on specific records. Heck, even discussing order is early. But I'll do it anyways. Based on current rosters and forecasting ...

1. Dallas Cowboys - Of course, it depends on if Tony Romo can develop, beacuse, well, they need him to develop. It also depends on if Jason Garrett is ready to call plays. Those are two huge unknowns. But a healthy Anthony Henry should provide much better secondary play, they should be adding a DB piece this offseason, and the OL is a bit better. By no means are the Cowboys a great team on paper as of now, and I'd guess anywhere from 7-10 wins.

2. Washington Redskins - 2-headed monster at RB should help protect Jason Campbell, but like the Cowboys, the development of the young QB here will be huge. Will Al Saunders and Joe Gibbs be in sync? Will Saunders and Gregg Williams be in sync? Offensive line needs to add a piece in there. Offseason has helped address some depth issues, as London Fletcher-Baker creates depth at LB (as McIntosh likely beomes a bench guy), Fred Smoot/Travis Fisher give key depth at CB, and Ross Tucker helps on the line. More line depth is needed on both sides, as one DT and one DE would be ideal, and adding another safety to the mix to challenge is probably worth it, unless Archuleta suddenly earns his keep (if he's even around ... still some speculation he might get cut). A bigger receiver would help. I'd guess, as of now, anywhere from 6-9 wins.

3. Philadelphia Eagles - The concern here is the defense. Will their young pieces improve, and will Jevon Kearse stay healthy enough to have a significant impact? The struggles at the POA exposed much of the defense last year. This isn't a defense that, if their DL struggles at the POA, can hold up consistently. Offensively, I still wonder if they can committ to the run game with McNabb back, and if Donovan gets hurt, there's no Jeff Garcia around anymore, and the jury is still out on how capable AJ Feeley is coming on in relief. The WR loss of Stallworth won't hurt as much as it sounds, but it will hurt nonetheless, as he offered some vertical speed. Integrating WR's into the system has always been a concern, so it'll be interesting to track what happens at the position. Still, should be a solid all around team, and expectations as of now is 6-9 wins.

4. New York Giants - Harsh to drop them to 4th, but it's a tough division, and more importantly, it's a competitively balanced division. It's a hard sell right now on the Giants, offensively and defensively. Sure, most of their offseason moves have made sense ... but they haven't added the upgrades yet. Trusting Diehl/Whimper at LT to protect Eli? Very iffy. Reuben Droughns seemed to lose a step and is an odd fit in terms of style with Brandon Jacobs, and Jacobs himself is a question mark. WR depth is still a concern, especially if the safety net of Amani Toomer gets hurt, as that had a significant impact on Eli. Secondary still needs an upgrade for them to likely play as aggressively as they would desire, and I'm still not a huge fan of that DT tandem inside. Do they have the linebacking support next to Antonio Pierce (although I do like Wilkinson)? I think watching the locker room will be interesting, as that's never been the most harmonious locker room, and any difficulties might impact things. At the end of the day, it all falls on the development of Eli Manning, and it's uncertain if he can take that step without an upgraded supporting cast. But a lot of time left this offseason. Guess for now is 5-8 wins.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 09:25 AM
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early for this.

And does it really matter? We base our predictions based on talented accumulated on the roster of each team.

Well, look at the NFC South.

The last 2 division winners were the Bucs and Saints. Two teams that nobody thought would win the division.

The NFC East, the past 2 division winners were the Giants and Eagles. Both teams were considered bottom tier the years they won the division.

The bottom line is in today's league of parity, its impossible to say who will win the division.

The 2 most important aspects of today's game are health/quality depth, and coaching. Staying healthy/deep and good coaching adjustments are the 2 most important keys to winning football games today.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 09:30 AM
And seriously, we haven't even finished FA yet and we have an inordinate amount of NFC East threads. To my fellow NFC East guys, let's keep it in moderation please. This is why we get a bad rap.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 09:37 AM
giants-16-0
eagles-0-16
cowgirls-0-16
redskins-0-16

lol

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 09:38 AM
giants-16-0
eagles-0-16
cowgirls-0-16
redskins-0-16

lol

That is a GREAT sig picture. Where did you find it? Leonard Marshall holds a special key to my heart....

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 09:44 AM
I do agree that it is way to early for this.

But talent wise, I think we will all agree that the Cowboys have the most talent, by a good amount.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 10:03 AM

But talent wise, I think we will all agree that the Cowboys have the most talent, by a good amount.why are you so annoying.. and you got DESTROYED last year when the giants were healthy.

hugegmenfan
03-11-2007, 10:06 AM
Lol @ the thread....but anyway...

Dallas (12-4)
Philly (11-5)
NYG (7-9)
Wash (4-12)

ya giantrutgers fan im not sure if we r an 11-5 team finishing 1st in the nfc east, as a giants fan i cant see it- we are in a rebuilding period and have holes all over our team

i agree with these records- id say the gmen go 8-8 again however

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 10:08 AM
First of all drew bledsoe played, it was romo's first ever serious playing time, so that should end the discussion right there. Second, the most talent doesn't always win, because you won, yet we had more talent. Look at the patriots for instance, they don't have alot of talent, yet they always win.

Plus you have no LBs, no secondary, and you lost tiki, plus strahan is average at best now. The giants are definitly the 4th best team in the East right now.

And I am pretty sure everyone would agree that the Coeboys are the MOST TALENTED, team in the east. That doesn't mean you always win, though.

Our only whole is FS, the least improtant position in football. That is how good our team is.

princefielder28
03-11-2007, 10:08 AM
Cowboys 10-6
Eagles 8-8
Giants 8-8
Redskins 7-9

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 10:09 AM
ya giantrutgers fan im not sure if we r an 11-5 team finishing 1st in the nfc east, as a giants fan i cant see it- we are in a rebuilding period and have holes all over our team

Thank you, and honest giants fan admits it. there you go hugepunch.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
First of all drew bledsoe played, it was romo's first ever serious playing time, so that should end the discussion right there. Second, the most talent doesn't always win, because you won, yet we had more talent. Look at the patriots for instance, they don't have alot of talent, yet they always win.

Plus you have no LBs, no secondary, and you lost tiki, plus strahan is average at best now. The giants are definitly the 4th best team in the East right now.

And I am pretty sure everyone would agree that the Coeboys are the MOST TALENTED, team in the east. That doesn't mean you always win, though.

Our only whole is FS, the least improtant position in football. That is how good our team is.you over rate your team tremendously tony romo is terrible. you rate the giants talent on what they did the second half of the season when 6-7 key players were out every game.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
The Patriots have ALOT of talent. Bruschi, Vrabel (the most underrated LB in the NFL), Colvin, they had a great LB core. They have the best front 3 in the NFL. They have a shutdown Corner and a great SS when healthy.

They have an underrated oline, a solid RB, they had a great 2 TE set, and the best qb in the NFL.

People underrate the Patriots tremendously. They have much more talent than Bill Bellichick will lead you to believe.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 10:21 AM
The Patriots have ALOT of talent. Bruschi, Vrabel (the most underrated LB in the NFL), Colvin, they had a great LB core. They have the best front 3 in the NFL. They have a shutdown Corner and a great SS when healthy.

They have an underrated oline, a solid RB, they had a great 2 TE set, and the best qb in the NFL.

People underrate the Patriots tremendously. They have much more talent than Bill Bellichick will lead you to believe.
yea wilfork is a beast hes so quick for a guy his size. the pats are going to be a very good team next year. was that stallworth signing true or just a rumor?

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
yea wilfork is a beast hes so quick for a guy his size. the pats are going to be a very good team next year. was that stallworth signing true or just a rumor?

It was true.

To be honest, Im actually opposed to the signings NE is doing. They are making desperation moves for one last run, which is out of character.

Their needs are Safety, WR, and LB. They couldve gotten all of them via the draft. This is a great year for safeties and WRs, and they have 2 1st rounders to use on both of those needs.

They couldve gotten a pass rusher DE like Abriamiri in the 2nd and moved Vrabel inside which would fix their "ILB" situation. They didn't need to throw the bank at these FAs. Thomas is old, and Stallworth is injury prone.

They can still do this of course, and get best of both worlds. It will be interesting to see their draft approach now.

neko4
03-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Skins 11-5:Campell has breakout year, Portis and betts combine for most yards. D is improved by having a #3 corner and it remains healthy.
Boys 9-7
G-Men 7-9
Eagles 5-11

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 10:29 AM
It was true.

To be honest, Im actually opposed to the signings NE is doing. They are making desperation moves for one last run, which is out of character.

Their needs are Safety, WR, and LB. They couldve gotten all of them via the draft. This is a great year for safeties and WRs, and they have 2 1st rounders to use on both of those needs.

They couldve gotten a pass rusher DE like Abriamiri in the 2nd and moved Vrabel inside which would fix their "ILB" situation. They didn't need to throw the bank at these FAs. Thomas is old, and Stallworth is injury prone.

They can still do this of course, and get best of both worlds. It will be interesting to see their draft approach now. i really like the thomas signing for them though hes so versatile and bill b knows how to use players like that. dont forget we have justin tuck on the giants, his cousin. i cant wait to see who they draft. maybe they trade up for reggie nelson.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 10:34 AM
How do the giants have more talent? we own you in talent. Just because you win doesn't mean you are more talented. Seattle is EVEN CLOSE to our talent level, yet they won. Although we were cursed last year.

And how does Romo suck? because he dropped a snap? that has nothing to do with QB buddy.

Giants lost Tiki, lost arrington, and strahan and toomer won't be half as good as they were before, and we were better than you before that anyway.

Name one position the giants have more talent in. Maybe shockey over witten, and Wilson over watkins, although they both suck, and Eli has more talent than ROmo, but he isn't better.

This is talent wise, not playing wise:

Eli>Romo
Julius and Marion Barber>>>>Jacobs
T.O.>>>Plax
Terry Glenn>>>>Toomer
Shockey> witten (just barely, but shockey is more talented)
Our o-line easily now after our signings, if you don't think leonard davis is talented you should just stop watching football, so our o-line>>>you o-line

Can't really compare d-line or linebackers because we run a 3-4, you run a 4-3, but I would give LBs to the cowboys easily, and d-line is close because Spears and canty are really talented, they just played crappy last year, and your DTs are below average, strahan is a shell of his former self, and Osi had 1 amazing year, so the jury is still out on him.

Newman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Madison
Henry>>>>>>>>Webster or McQuaters
Roy Williams>>>>>>>>Wil Demps
Gibril Wilson>>>Pat watkins.

So as you can see, we easily have more TALENT. Key word, TALENT.

jblaze66
03-11-2007, 10:40 AM
Skins 11-5:Campell has breakout year, Portis and betts combine for most yards. D is improved by having a #3 corner and it remains healthy.
Boys 9-7
G-Men 7-9
Eagles 5-11
This is hilarious, I love it when everyone picks the skins every year because I know it means they will tank again. But seriously, the Redskins are a ways off of becoming the #1 team in the East. I believe the Eagles and Cowboys are very close talent-wise, then the Redskins and then the Giants. I also agree with most everyone that this is way to early to have a serious discussion about the likely records but I will take a stab at it.

Eagles (10-6) - Not much turnaround although thats not always such a bad thing.
Cowboys (9-7) - New staff means transition but their overall talent will keep them afloat.
Giants (7-9) - Very little depth, Big questions in secondary and at OT plus the loss of Tiki is huge.
Redskins (6-10) - This is a team that must start building through the draft and develop chemsitry.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
How do the giants have more talent? we own you in talent. Just because you win doesn't mean you are more talented. Seattle is EVEN CLOSE to our talent level, yet they won. Although we were cursed last year.

And how does Romo suck? because he dropped a snap? that has nothing to do with QB buddy.

Giants lost Tiki, lost arrington, and strahan and toomer won't be half as good as they were before, and we were better than you before that anyway.

Name one position the giants have more talent in. Maybe shockey over witten, and Wilson over watkins, although they both suck, and Eli has more talent than ROmo, but he isn't better.

This is talent wise, not playing wise:

Eli>Romo
Julius and Marion Barber>>>>Jacobs
T.O.>>>Plax
Terry Glenn>>>>Toomer
Shockey> witten (just barely, but shockey is more talented)
Our o-line easily now after our signings, if you don't think leonard davis is talented you should just stop watching football, so our o-line>>>you o-line

Can't really compare d-line or linebackers because we run a 3-4, you run a 4-3, but I would give LBs to the cowboys easily, and d-line is close because Spears and canty are really talented, they just played crappy last year, and your DTs are below average, strahan is a shell of his former self, and Osi had 1 amazing year, so the jury is still out on him.

Newman>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Madison
Henry>>>>>>>>Webster or McQuaters
Roy Williams>>>>>>>>Wil Demps
Gibril Wilson>>>Pat watkins.

So as you can see, we easily have more TALENT. Key word, TALENT.

im not going to argue with you because it would never end.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 10:48 AM
This is hilarious, I love it when everyone picks the skins every year because I know it means they will tank again. But seriously, the Redskins are a ways off of becoming the #1 team in the East. I believe the Eagles and Cowboys are very close talent-wise, then the Redskins and then the Giants. I also agree with most everyone that this is way to early to have a serious discussion about the likely records but I will take a stab at it.

Eagles (10-6) - Not much turnaround although thats not always such a bad thing.
Cowboys (9-7) - New staff means transition but their overall talent will keep them afloat.
Giants (7-9) - Very little depth, Big questions in secondary and at OT plus the loss of Tiki is huge
Redskins (6-10) - This is a team that must start building through the draft and develop chemsitry.

Although I think we will win the division, not the eagles, even an eagles fan agrees with me that we have a ton of talent.

And hugepunch, you just aren't argueing because you knwo I am right. I just posted true rankings, so you can't say anything. I even said Eli was better than Romo, talent wise.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 10:55 AM

But talent wise, I think we will all agree that the Cowboys have the most talent, by a good amount.

By a good amount? C'mon now. Let's not get ridiculous.

QB - A healthy McNabb gets the nod over Romo for now.

RB - Westbrook probably gets the nod. Overall running game? I'd give it to the Skins, who, on paper have Betts and Portis.

WR - Cowboys get the nod here.

TE - Shockey has the most talent. But the NFC East has such a deep grouping here. I'd rank it Shockey/Cooley/Witten/Smith, but a case could be made for different iterations.

OL - Tough call here. I'd probably take the Redskins grouping, but it does somewhat depend on who they get to replace Derrick Dockery inside.

DL - Not really fair to judge due to differing schemes, but no group in the NFC East is all that good. A healthy Strahan/Umenyiora tandem might still give the Giants a nod, but this is a huge toss up for me.

LB - Eh, not that pretty unit wise in the NFC East either. Maybe a slight edge to the Cowboys, but not as big as you might think, if at all. If the Giants can add another good piece to the cerebral and tough Antonio Pierce, then they could challenge. Washington has a very solid unit, and same with Philadelphia, although neither stand out.

DB - I'll take the Eagles secondary overall, because, despite the signs of a decline, Dawkins still provides good support and Sheppard and Brown are probably the best two tandem.

Sure, this isn't the most effective way to judge overall talent, and I could see a case for the Cowboys ... but to say by a good amount is by a reach, IMO.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
It was true.

They can still do this of course, and get best of both worlds. It will be interesting to see their draft approach now.

I actually think the moves are quite shrewd. They had the cap room this offseason, they signed guys that fit the system. They, though, didn't blow up their future in that, they still have 2 first rounders, and I would not be the least bit surprised if they ended up dealing down and accumulating future picks like they did a couple years ago. In short, they gear themselves up for a run, and potentially could have extra picks in the future when some of the guys are going to be shown the door.

Of course, we'll have to see what exactly happens.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I know, I was overrexagerating by saying a good amount, but they do have the most talent.

And no way the eagles DBs have more talent than Newman and Roy, they have more talent alone. Plus, Watkins is very talented, as BBD. If you are 6'5'', and ru a 4.42, and your name isn't calvin johnson, your pretty talented.

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 11:06 AM
If you are talking pure physical talent, sure, maybe you give the Cowboys the secondary edge. But what would be the purpose of pure physical talent in any NFL discussion? I want to know football talent, not pure physical talent, and I'd take Sheppard/Brown over Newman/Henry but a tiny margin, but the difference comes down to that I'd take Dawkins/Considine over ?/Williams in a close margin as well.

Sure, if you are talking pure athleticism, yeah, the Cowboys probably have an edge. Heck, if you are talking about pure athleticism, the Redskins could easily challenge the Cowboys there, with Sean Taylor as a freak of nature, Adam Archuleta (still on the roster ... I mean, we are just talking on individual talent here and not whether or not they'd start ... ) as a workout freak, Carlos Rogers as a very well rounded physical talent, and Shawn Springs, if healthy, still as a quality talent. But it makes little sense, to me, to discuss solely physical talent, irrelevant of football talent. People know that Archuleta is on the outs and will still be a surprise to me if he is on the roster next year (IMO, the reason he's still on is that he's not going to give up all the money he is in line to get by voluntarily agreeing to something, whereas the Skins would probably like a buyout). Sean Taylor struggled last year when he was asked to handle too much and make too many reads ... in short, not letting him trust his instinct. Rogers had an inconsistent year, although part of that was scheme and team oriented, and Springs was injured.

In short, don't see a big need to discuss physical talent. Football talent is what makes the difference, and relative to football talent, I'd take the Eagles secondary still ... although how good Dawkins can be is a fair question as he ages, and something to watch, as any significant decline in Dawkins would shift responsibility to his partner. Of course, if they get better POA play at the line, the entire secondary can "look" better.

ricky bobby
03-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Way too early. I'd wait until the draft, but here it is anyway.

1. Eagles (10-6) - McNabb will be back.
2. Giants (10-6) - Eli will break out. Jacobs will demolish defenses.
3. Cowboys (8-8) - Owens will destroy that team and the new coach won't succeed.
4. Redskins (5-11) - More of the same for the poor Redskins.

Off topic - I'm going to come out right now and say that the Patriots will be the Superbowl Champs next year. They are finally giving a genius coach good talent to work with.

Eaglez.Fan
03-11-2007, 11:23 AM
I really disagree with Toonster on the eagles, it doesn't really matter if Kearse will come back, Juqua Thomas and Trent Cole played great coming in. Kearse might make an impact but more me if he does it's just a bonus.

Okay my non-biased rankings

1. Eagles 12-4
2. Cowboys 11-5
3. Giants 8-8
4. Redskins 6-10

IMO when you have no doubt the best QB in teh division and probably in the conferance you have a very good chance at winning it all. I have us 4 losses because sometimes games don't get decided on QB's. Giants will strugle to run the ball with two power backs. Cowgirls will play well on defense and offense but no superb to take them past the eagles. Redskins will have a better season than last year stats and play wise but they have 3 very good teams that they have to play 2ice each

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 11:34 AM
It's definitely early. My 3 big concerns with the Eagles right now are:

1. Will they consistently run the ball again? First off, it seems that, with McNabb, they get pass happy. Now, granted, another big change happened with Mornhinweg taking over the playcalling duties, so that is another facet to consider. That said, one small aspect to consider is who eats the carries up behind Westbrook, because he'll need to be spelled. He only had 240 attempts last year, and while he can handle more, someone else will have to step it up. Other small concerns would tie into the OL, as Thomas/Runyan are aging, and while they could beat the odds and both play 16 games again, the risk does increase that they might miss a game or two here, and consistency with the OL is what often keys and determines success.

2. With Stallworth gone, who steps up in the passing game? Sure, the scheme design of Andy Reid will help facilitate the passing game. Sure, Stallworth wasn't much, but in past years, there's been the Stallworth and Pinkston's, both of whom had very big warts, to help stretch the passing game vertically, and open things up underneath. Baskett showed some deep play potentially, but he's more of a downfield physical type than he is a stretch the field type. Even if they ascertain that a stretcher isn't needed, they do need additional WR talent and the record has always been that learning the system takes time, albeit, there are cases of Baskett and Brown, both guys picking it up fairly quickly.

3. The play of the defensive line. It has to get stronger at the point of attack, because otherwise, the entire team is weakened. This isn't an organization that's likely to change character soon and go with bigger LB's consistently and what not. So the front 4 needs to not only consistently bring pressure, they also need to consistently play strong enough that the back 7 can be aggressive without having to look around. The keyword here is probably consistency.

If you note, though, I predicted the same win range for basically all 4 teams (Cowboys - 7-10, Redskins/Eagles - 6-9, Giants 5-8).

GiantRutgersFan
03-11-2007, 12:08 PM

pssshhhh what kind of fan are you? I bet a Mets fan. hahaha

But we got an easy schedule. 3rd place schedule. Plus I think we will be alrite with new coaching of Defense. I hate fans who dont believe in their team btw

8-8 is a joke and not gonna happen.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
Way too early. I'd wait until the draft, but here it is anyway.

1. Eagles (10-6) - McNabb will be back.
2. Giants (10-6) - Eli will break out. Jacobs will demolish defenses.
3. Cowboys (8-8) - Owens will destroy that team and the new coach won't succeed.
4. Redskins (5-11) - More of the same for the poor Redskins.

Off topic - I'm going to come out right now and say that the Patriots will be the Superbowl Champs next year. They are finally giving a genius coach good talent to work with.

are you serious? first of all, McNabb will be hurt again, second of all, the gianst are gonna be 8-8 at best. Eli and Jacobs? lol.

As for overall Talent, Newman is the most talented DB in the East, very close to him is sean taylor though.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Toonster made a great point about the Eagles. Their fate will depend on their commitment to the run game. Ive also noticed that they abandon the run way too much when McNabb is healthy. For some reason, they only feed the rock to Westbrook and increase his role when McNabb goes down.

Their fate will depend on this factor. If they continue to feed it to Westbrook, they will be great again next year. If they go back to the pass happy nature of Reid, they will suffer a little.

One thing about Philly, their dominance in the trenches. Philly has always been a good team because they win at the point of attack. And they draft so well, that they draft one year ahead. You didn't see much impact by Justice or Bunkley this year, but next year they will make their impact. Thats how Philly drafts, one year ahead of schedule. Thats why they never miss a beat.

Alot of times we evaluate the skill position players and say this team is better than that team because of the matchups. But we always overlook the importance of the line plays on both sides. Disruption up front is the most important phase of the game, and it masks alot of weaknesses in other areas. The teams who consistently play well up front are always contenders. You can't be average on the line of scrimmage and be a good team. No matter what you have at the skill positions.

I said before that the 2 most important keys to winning football games is staying healthy/deep, and good coaching adjustments. Add another to that list, and thats quality play in the trenches.

If you have a solid oline and dline, regardless of what you have at the skill positions, you have a chance to go 8-8 on the season. Throw in some guys around those lines, and with good health and a little luck you can go 10-6. Throw in a top tier qb, and you can win the division. Skill position players are overrated.

Especially wide receivers.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 12:43 PM
pssshhhh what kind of fan are you? I bet a Mets fan. hahaha

But we got an easy schedule. 3rd place schedule. Plus I think we will be alrite with new coaching of Defense. I hate fans who dont believe in their team btw

8-8 is a joke and not gonna happen.

8-8 is a joke? yea maybe a good joke. If the giants go over 8-8 it will be a MIRACLE.

Eaglez.Fan
03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
TNewFan can you please go away you have no clue what your talking about

And nice posts Toon and BBD, interesting to see how Philly does with the mixed opinions

CW99
03-11-2007, 12:52 PM
1)Eagles 11-5
2)Giants9-7
3)Redskins 6-10
4)Dallas 3-13

703SKINS202
03-11-2007, 12:56 PM
how bout, who cares, this is all menusha anyways.... skins could go 12-4 dalls could go 13-3 skins could go 4-12 eagles could go 6-10..... no one knows and no one should care right now

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Oh and Toon, to answer some of your concerns

1. The age of Runyan and their LT won't be an issue. They have Justice waiting in the wings in case one of them goes down. Justice played great at LT in the PS, and is a natural RT. If Runyan goes down, Justice can spell him at RT, and they wouldn't miss a beat at all. I'll go as far as saying that Justice has PB potential at RT if he started today. So theyre fine in this regard.

2. Reid will find his Stallworth replacement in the draft. Thats most likely why they let go of Stallworth. When healthy, he provided a spark to the pass game, but with the crop of WR talent being so deep this year, Reid can probably find a replacement in the 2nd, maybe even 3rd round of this draft. I wouldn't be suprised to see Anthony Gonzalez in an Eagles uniform. He's an Andy Reid type of guy.

Vikes99ej
03-11-2007, 01:08 PM
1. Eagles
2. Cowboys
3. Redskins
4. Giants

toonsterwu
03-11-2007, 01:13 PM
bbd -

this is based on the assumption that Justice is ready. While preseason is intriguing and helpful, I don't read that much into it due to the vanilla packages often used. I wasn't actually a big fan of Justice coming out (there were those on this board last year that thought he was better than Brick).

While they are likely to add a WR in the draft, the track record of young WR's learning the system is a bit spottier than recent trends would suggest. It's a fairly difficult system to learn for WR's, with many variable nuances. Certainly, they've done a better job in recent years of identifying WR's, but there's a hit or miss factor out there.

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 01:18 PM
bbd -

this is based on the assumption that Justice is ready. While preseason is intriguing and helpful, I don't read that much into it due to the vanilla packages often used. I wasn't actually a big fan of Justice coming out (there were those on this board last year that thought he was better than Brick).

While they are likely to add a WR in the draft, the track record of young WR's learning the system is a bit spottier than recent trends would suggest. It's a fairly difficult system to learn for WR's, with many variable nuances. Certainly, they've done a better job in recent years of identifying WR's, but there's a hit or miss factor out there.

Both true. Every team has X factors. Some more than others. We really don't know what will happen because we can never accurately predict how these x factors will unfold during the season. Im assuming Justice is ready, at least at RT anyways, but I could be wrong.

And the thing with WRs that should scare Eagles fans, as you eluded to, is that its difficult for a WR to make immediate impact. Usually, they have much better sophomore years compared to their rookie season. So I definately get what youre saying.

So yeah, its all a crapshoot right now. Its always fun to have intelligent banter about it though.

etk
03-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Is the NFC East the only division in the NFL or something?

bigbluedefense
03-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Is the NFC East the only division in the NFL or something?

No...but we are the coolest

:cool:

http://www.guyweb.co.uk/images/fonz.jpg

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 01:38 PM
I'm going to put this in even though it is way too early. I will try to be unbiased.
1. Eagles: 11-5 or 12-4 (You have no idea how much I want to put 16-0 just to piss TNew off)
2. Cowboys: 10-6 or 11-5 All depends on Romo and the defense.
3. Giants: 7-9 or 8-8 Once again, depends on Qb and defense. The loss of Tiki will hurt them though.
4. Redskins: 6-10 or 7-9 Another situation that depends on the QB and defense. Basically the whole NFC East has to concentrate on those this off-season.

There are a lot of questions in the NFC East going into the upcoming season. The return of Donovan and Kearse next season are vital. From what I here, there have been no major setbacks, and there are even rumors that Kearse could have been back in tim for the playoffs, but I doubt those rumors are true. The D-line of the Eagles needs to do better at the POA, thus improving their whole run defense. Our O-line is set for years adn we have our future starters already pencilled in. Herremans is more of a tackle, and will take over for Runyan when he is gone. Justice will take over for Thomas, and Jean-Gilles will give us one of the biggest inside three O-linemen (along with Andrews and Jackson) in the whole NFL. I see very little hole in our O-line. We have one of the most talented RBs in the NFL in Westbrook, all we need is a power RB to go with him. And one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL when he is healthy. I must say I strongly disagree with toonster that Dawkins declined this year. I could see it happening in the next two years though.

Cowboys have to develop Romo so he can become a more effective QB. Dallas has a good O-line, but I don't see it as top 10. They have two good RBs but there is a question over who should be the starter. Personally, I am a fan of Marion Barber. Pat Watkins could develop into a good FS, if the Cowboys fans would just give him a chance. And Roy Williams is a very good SS. He is one of the best safeties in the whole league against the run, and a player I really like as well, but he is not so good in coverage. Their LB corp seems OK, but maybe some more improvements there. I think they could benefit if they could get some more playing time out of Carpenter. (I think thats what his name is) Ware is the Cowboys one good D-linemen, but otherwise need to improve that area as well. I'm not even going to touch the CBs, I don't want TNew to pop an artery. One thing I would like to say, FS is a very important part of the defense TNew.
Redskins: I like what I have seen out of Campbell so far and it worries me a little. They have a very good 1-2 punch at RB and that will help Campbell out immensely. They have a very good TE in Cooley, another player I am a fan of. But their O-line is not all that good, especially with the loss of Dochery, they will need to find ways to improve that as well. They need tons of help at the D-line and I think they will go with it at pick #6, whether it be DT or DE help is needed at both of those spots. The LB corp is so-so, about the same as the Eagles,maybe a little bit better, but the Eagles have young talent that may jump them ahead. They have a good secondary and Smoot will definitely help them out.

The Giants could have either a really good or really bad season this year. It all hinges on Eli. In my opinion, Eli needs to step it up big to fill the void left by Tiki. They have a good thunder and thunder backfeild, but it is hard to see how that will work out. I am a real big fan of Brandon Jacobs, one of the few guys in the league who I would want to be with the Eagles behind Westbrook. They have one of the best TE's in the league in Shockey, who I am a fan of as well, especially after the play against the Eagles where he lost his helmet, but proceeded to drag two of our defenders for a few yards. There O-line is something that will need to be addressed, along with the now gaping holes in LB and secondary. They have a very good set of DEs in Strahan (another player who I am a fan of)and Umeniora (probably spelled that wrong), but they need more help at DT. An underrated need for the Giants now is Kicker, because we know how close and hard fought the NFC East games can be sometimes, and a Kicker who is able to be consistent is very important in the NFL. This is a position the Redskins should be looking at as well.
But to end this post, I would like to say how great it is that TNew can predict the future, saying that Donovan will be hurt again next year and how all of the other things he has happening. I have one thing to say about all of that stuff... Anyone smell that? Its a big steamy pile of B.S. and it is coming right from the mind of TNewFan41.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Both true. Every team has X factors. Some more than others. We really don't know what will happen because we can never accurately predict how these x factors will unfold during the season. Im assuming Justice is ready, at least at RT anyways, but I could be wrong.

And the thing with WRs that should scare Eagles fans, as you eluded to, is that its difficult for a WR to make immediate impact. Usually, they have much better sophomore years compared to their rookie season. So I definately get what youre saying.

So yeah, its all a crapshoot right now. Its always fun to have intelligent banter about it though.

It seems very likely that we are bringing in Kevin Curtis to be our #2 receiver, but though Justice is an unknown, I have heard nothing but spectacular news on Justice. Not only does the coaching staff think he will be a great LT, but there have been no reports of him being in trouble, which was the main reason he fell to the second round. We have a lot of other X-factors though. Chris Gocong is supposed to be our SAM but there has been very little to report about him, so I don't know how that is going. He is from Cal-poly and is a very intelligent guy, so I expect a "bright" (haha) future form him. Jeremy Bloom needs to get in football shape, because we don't want to have Mahe returning kicks again.

neko4
03-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Is andy reid even coming back this year

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:52 PM
Is andy reid even coming back this year

Of course he is. He is fixing the situation with his sons. As a matter of fact, on Friday, he came to the Eagles NovaCare complex and talked to Kevin Curtis and called Mike Doss to try to convince him to consider playing with the Eagles. I think the situation is dying down a little bit, though the road ahead is still bumpy. He will probably be back sometime around the draft, if I had to guess, but it may be sooner or later, that is just my guess. Tony Dungy didn't miss a single game with the tragic situation with his son, so I find it very unlikely (practically imposssible) AR misses next season.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm going to put this in even though it is way too early. I will try to be unbiased.
1. Eagles: 11-5 or 12-4 (You have no idea how much I want to put 16-0 just to piss TNew off)
2. Cowboys: 10-6 or 11-5 All depends on Romo and the defense.
3. Giants: 7-9 or 8-8 Once again, depends on Qb and defense. The loss of Tiki will hurt them though.
4. Redskins: 6-10 or 7-9 Another situation that depends on the QB and defense. Basically the whole NFC East has to concentrate on those this off-season.

There are a lot of questions in the NFC East going into the upcoming season. The return of Donovan and Kearse next season are vital. From what I here, there have been no major setbacks, and there are even rumors that Kearse could have been back in tim for the playoffs, but I doubt those rumors are true. The D-line of the Eagles needs to do better at the POA, thus improving their whole run defense. Our O-line is set for years adn we have our future starters already pencilled in. Herremans is more of a tackle, and will take over for Runyan when he is gone. Justice will take over for Thomas, and Jean-Gilles will give us one of the biggest inside three O-linemen (along with Andrews and Jackson) in the whole NFL. I see very little hole in our O-line. We have one of the most talented RBs in the NFL in Westbrook, all we need is a power RB to go with him. And one of the top 4 QBs in the NFL when he is healthy. I must say I strongly disagree with toonster that Dawkins declined this year. I could see it happening in the next two years though.

Cowboys have to develop Romo so he can become a more effective QB. Dallas has a good O-line, but I don't see it as top 10. They have two good RBs but there is a question over who should be the starter. Personally, I am a fan of Marion Barber. Pat Watkins could develop into a good FS, if the Cowboys fans would just give him a chance. And Roy Williams is a very good SS. He is one of the best safeties in the whole league against the run, and a player I really like as well, but he is not so good in coverage. Their LB corp seems OK, but maybe some more improvements there. I think they could benefit if they could get some more playing time out of Carpenter. (I think thats what his name is) Ware is the Cowboys one good D-linemen, but otherwise need to improve that area as well. I'm not even going to touch the CBs, I don't want TNew to pop an artery. One thing I would like to say, FS is a very important part of the defense TNew.
Redskins: I like what I have seen out of Campbell so far and it worries me a little. They have a very good 1-2 punch at RB and that will help Campbell out immensely. They have a very good TE in Cooley, another player I am a fan of. But their O-line is not all that good, especially with the loss of Dochery, they will need to find ways to improve that as well. They need tons of help at the D-line and I think they will go with it at pick #6, whether it be DT or DE help is needed at both of those spots. The LB corp is so-so, about the same as the Eagles,maybe a little bit better, but the Eagles have young talent that may jump them ahead. They have a good secondary and Smoot will definitely help them out.

The Giants could have either a really good or really bad season this year. It all hinges on Eli. In my opinion, Eli needs to step it up big to fill the void left by Tiki. They have a good thunder and thunder backfeild, but it is hard to see how that will work out. I am a real big fan of Brandon Jacobs, one of the few guys in the league who I would want to be with the Eagles behind Westbrook. They have one of the best TE's in the league in Shockey, who I am a fan of as well, especially after the play against the Eagles where he lost his helmet, but proceeded to drag two of our defenders for a few yards. There O-line is something that will need to be addressed, along with the now gaping holes in LB and secondary. They have a very good set of DEs in Strahan (another player who I am a fan of)and Umeniora (probably spelled that wrong), but they need more help at DT. An underrated need for the Giants now is Kicker, because we know how close and hard fought the NFC East games can be sometimes, and a Kicker who is able to be consistent is very important in the NFL. This is a position the Redskins should be looking at as well.
But to end this post, I would like to say how great it is that TNew can predict the future, saying that Donovan will be hurt again next year and how all of the other things he has happening. I have one thing to say about all of that stuff... Anyone smell that? Its a big steamy pile of B.S. and it is coming right from the mind of TNewFan41.

That is a great post, good analysis. I expect the cowboys and eagles to fight more the NFC East crown, and anything can happen. Dallas does have more talent, but I expect it to be a dogfight. The Redskins could shock some people as well.

Oh and Justice is a great player, I was wishing the cowboys got him last year. THis is why the eagles are always in the hunt every year, they always have good O and D lines. That is why I want for o-lineman on the cowboys, we don't need any starters, but we do need depth.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 02:58 PM
Trying to suck up now?

Eaglez.Fan
03-11-2007, 02:59 PM
It seems very likely that we are bringing in Kevin Curtis to be our #2 receiver, but though Justice is an unknown, I have heard nothing but spectacular news on Justice. Not only does the coaching staff think he will be a great LT, but there have been no reports of him being in trouble, which was the main reason he fell to the second round. We have a lot of other X-factors though. Chris Gocong is supposed to be our SAM but there has been very little to report about him, so I don't know how that is going. He is from Cal-poly and is a very intelligent guy, so I expect a "bright" (haha) future form him. Jeremy Bloom needs to get in football shape, because we don't want to have Mahe returning kicks again.

Curtis shouldn't start. I'd rather have Greg Lewis or if we draft Robert Meachem (I know he'd be a rookie but he is very similar to Donte Stallworth). Kevin Curtis would be in the slot were IMO he plays best and is the biggest threat. As for Justice, I have no worries, Reid is a former o-linemen and has been good at developping them and we have probably the best or top 3 o-line coaches in the league. I feel pretty good about our offense, 2nd-7th round picks I want defense all the way. Just maybe a Rb like Hunt in the 3rd, or Pittman in the 4th though. Just for more balance

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
Trying to suck up now?

Nope, it actually was a good post. You made some great points. I don't feel like getting jumped on by everyone, so I am going to stop being a serious homer. But, the Cowboys do have the most talent in the East, and Newman is the best CB, I won't change my mind on that. I do expect the east to come down to the Cowboys and Eagles though. But as of right now, and you can go look up any major site or wait for NFL magazine's to come out, the Cowboys are the favorites. However, that by no means, means they will win it.

Shiver
03-11-2007, 03:08 PM
I really like Washington this year. I think they are better by default, just by getting Portis back, while Campbell improves through experience. Not to mention the entire offense will have a better grasp of the Al Saunders offense. Not to mention adding Smoot and Fletcher-Baker helps that defense. All that is left is improving their D-Line via the draft. I really, really like the Redskins next year.

While New York takes a step backwards, in my estimation. Barber was the offense last year. They also need to completely overhaul the Defensive Backfield and Outside Linebackers. Also, Eli Manning stepping up his individual game would surely help. Though not as much as the media would lead any of us to believe.

Philadelphia has some age issues I would be concerned about, maybe McNabb's durability. Other than that I like their chances. Under Reid they have been marvelously consistent. I do want to see them address Linebacker, and add a power RB to compliment Westbrook.

Dallas has some question marks that are unknown at this point. Romo's development, Garrett's play-calling on offense. As for the Defense, I just don't think they will be able to magically improve Roy Williams' ability to cover. He's always going to be a liability, and in Phillips' defense, he will be forced into coverage more than ever.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 03:10 PM
No he won't. In Wade's defense, he is going to be in the box more, sir.

Go_Eagles77
03-11-2007, 03:12 PM
Eagles- 11-5
Cowboys- 9-7
Giants- 8-8
Redskins- 7-9

Eaglez.Fan
03-11-2007, 03:12 PM
It actually doesn't matter, if he's in the box there's one less guy to cover back. If he's back there, then theres one less guy to cover back ;)

Shiver
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I guarantee you I have seen more of Wade Phillips' defense than you have. I live in AFC West country. Meanwhile you only watch the Cowboys. Phillips is a relentless blitz caller. His OLBs rush the passer most of the time. They don't drop into coverage nearly as often as Bill Parcells' variation.

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 03:14 PM
He is using alittle different schemes now as well. He said in his press conference Roy will be in the box A LOT more.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 03:17 PM
But that means there is still a liability in coverage for the whole defense.

Shiver
03-11-2007, 03:19 PM
He is using alittle different schemes now as well. He said in his press conference Roy will be in the box A LOT more.

Then that means there is no 2-deep shell, which equally is a liability against pass offenses. Either way, when you have to design your scheme around someone who cannot cover, it hurts whether he is in coverage or not.

bored of education
03-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Redskins:9-7
Eagles: 9-7
Cowboys: 7-9
Giants: 6-10

Modano
03-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Then that means there is no 2-deep shell, which equally is a liability against pass offenses. Either way, when you have to design your scheme around someone who cannot cover, it hurts whether he is in coverage or not.

It's all about putting pressure on the QB. Look at the Colts-Cowboys game for example. In that game the Cowboys pressure on Manning was very very good and Roy had an amazing game. He suffered a TD by Dallas Clark, but there aren't many safeties in the NFL who can match-up one on one on Dallas Clark...
Roy is a liability in coverage but is a true playmaker.. If you give the opposite QB a lot of time to throw he can beat him everytime, but if you put pressure on the QB Roy is gonna make plays..

bearsfan_51
03-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I can promise you this, they won't win nearly as many games as most of you are forcasting. I would say, collectively, they'll win about 30-34 games. Most of you are predicting 36 wins or more. That's not gonna happen.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 03:44 PM
It's all about putting pressure on the QB. Look at the Colts-Cowboys game for example. In that game the Cowboys pressure on Manning was very very good and Roy had an amazing game. He suffered a TD by Dallas Clark, but there aren't many safeties in the NFL who can match-up one on one on Dallas Clark...
Roy is a liability in coverage but is a true playmaker.. If you give the opposite QB a lot of time to throw he can beat him everytime, but if you put pressure on the QB Roy is gonna make plays..

OK so there are 8 guys in the box, including Roy Williams. The opposing team puts out 4 receivers, (3 WRs and a TE or 2 WRs, TE, and a RB, etc...) I quick pass leaves one offensive guy open to catch the ball from the QB while the other receivers block. If those receivers do there job right, that play goes for six points. What about a screen play. If ROy Williams is in the box, the Eagles, who are a great screen team will audible a screen to Westbrook, your guys go tearing through the line... Westy catches the ball, picks up his blockers. There are only three guys ahead of him and he would have at least 5 blockers, that play would end up in a big gain any time. I'm just using the Eagles as an example, any team could do this. The point is, if you put Roy in the box, that leaves your CBs and a FS to make the play, on a majority of plays, there would be more blockers than defenders who can make a play. It would not benefit the Dallas D to have 8 in the box, leaving big play opportunities available.

eaglesalltheway
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I can promise you this, they won't win nearly as many games as most of you are forcasting. I would say, collectively, they'll win about 30-34 games. Most of you are predicting 36 wins or more. That's not gonna happen.

If you go by my scale, I have 34-38 wins in the division. There are a total of 64 games played for each division. Being slightly over .500 is very possible, especially considering the Division had three teams in the playoffs this past year. I think barely above .500 is reasonable. (I am not saying three teams in the playoffs will happen this year though.)

Shiver
03-11-2007, 04:52 PM

It isn't just about pressuring the Quarterback. San Diego, under Phillips, have struggled every year at stopping passing offenses. That has been the team's glaring weakness for a while now. Last year was their best season, in regards to pass defense, and they were still only average. Blitzing is high risk, high reward, as any reader of TMQ can attest to. You give up as many big plays as you make, for the most part. In this case, Roy Williams may make some plays, but he will certainly give up big plays when he's matched up with a TE in 1-on-1 coverage.

bearsfan_51
03-11-2007, 04:56 PM
If you go by my scale, I have 34-38 wins in the division. There are a total of 64 games played for each division. Being slightly over .500 is very possible, especially considering the Division had three teams in the playoffs this past year. I think barely above .500 is reasonable. (I am not saying three teams in the playoffs will happen this year though.)
38 wins is not barely above .500

That would mean.

1st place team= 11 wins
2nd place team= 10 wins
3rd place team= 10 wins
4th place team= 7 wins

That is not going to happen. It's not. I thought that last year would have hit the point home that the East isn't as good as everyone was yaking it up to be during the season. Yes three teams made the playoffs. None of them were very good though.

34 wins is possible. Maybe 35. Anything beyond that is far too unrealistic.

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Eagles 11-5

Cowboys 9-7

Giants 8-8

Redskins 3-13

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 05:02 PM
Putting pressure on the QB is pretty much makes your CBs. If you don't have good pressure you CBs will always look horrible.

I think Dallas has the potential to be 14-2, and e eagles have the potential to go 12-4, but it probably won't happen, because it is just potential.

This is my list:

Cowboys 12-4
Eagles 10-6
Skins 9-7
Giants 6-10

Modano
03-11-2007, 05:27 PM
It isn't just about pressuring the Quarterback. San Diego, under Phillips, have struggled every year at stopping passing offenses. That has been the team's glaring weakness for a while now. Last year was their best season, in regards to pass defense, and they were still only average. Blitzing is high risk, high reward, as any reader of TMQ can attest to. You give up as many big plays as you make, for the most part. In this case, Roy Williams may make some plays, but he will certainly give up big plays when he's matched up with a TE in 1-on-1 coverage.

Yes of course, but I think that even if Roy is gonna give up some big plays for the rest of his career we need a player like him. It's of course high risk, high reward, but he makes those type of plays that can change a game.
Again, against the Colts, they were in position to score on the 5. On second down Williams came across the line of scrimmage and tackled Addai for a 2 yards loss. On third down, he bumped Dallas Clark and came with a key interception...
We will still have problems stopping the pass (but a good FS could help big time, infact when Woody was still playing Roy wasn't such a liability in coverage) but I really like his playmaking abilities. He has "it".

Jensen
03-11-2007, 05:36 PM
1. Eagles (10-6)
2. Cowboys (9-7)
3. Giants (7-9)
4. Redskins (6-10)

LTgiants
03-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Giants: 10-6
Eagles: 10-6
Cowboys: 9-7
Redskins:7-9

cunningham06
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
Eagles- 10-6
Cowboys- 9-7
Redskins- 8-8
Giants- 6-10

TNewFan41
03-11-2007, 06:56 PM
The Giants are not winning the divison. Come on now.

Smooth Criminal
03-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Cowboys - 11-5
Eagles - 10-6
Redskins - 7-9
Giants - 6-10

KWill93
03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Eagles 11-5
Cowboys 10-6
Giants 8-8
Redskins 7-9

jsagan77
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Earth to all Giants fans. Your super star RB retired and you all will be crying at the end of the year because poor Sh-Eli will finally be a bust. The Eagles Cowboys and Skins will fight for the crown and a wild card spot and the Giants will be 6-10 at best.

cunningham06
03-12-2007, 12:27 AM
^ I agree to a point. The lack of Tiki will really hurt the franchise. Eli will have a lot more pressure on him to perform, and I don't think he will be able to carry the team.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
Offense is overrated. The real issue the Giants have is they have to somehow rebuild the entire LB'ers and Defensive Backfield, via the draft, while staying competitive. Because if they aren't, Coughlin will be gone, and the team will have to turn to a new coaching staff and likely another set of schematic changes. Yes, Tiki and Eli are going to command attention. That defense is what is disconcerting in my eye.

Crazy_Chris
03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
1.Eagles 11-5
2.Cowboys 9-7
3.Giants 7-9
4.Redskins 5-11

Geo
03-12-2007, 01:27 AM
Coughlin is gone from the Giants after this season, that's a given. The real question is who the Giants will hire afterwards.

Jughead10
03-12-2007, 07:59 AM
Coughlin is gone from the Giants after this season, that's a given. The real question is who the Giants will hire afterwards.

People just assume Coughlin will be gone. He is a very good coach. We have dumb players. The loss of Tiki will hurt. I'm hoping not as much as most think. We will find out how great Tiki was this year. Find out if he was really that good or if Coughlin just made him that good. I don't think Tiki ever broke 1,300 yards before Coughlin got here. To me the Giants season comes down to #1 staying healthy, #2 defensing the pass, and #3 protecting the QB. Right now I'll say 9-7 and I'll admit that is being optimistic.

toonsterwu
03-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Just to note - I'm not saying that Brian Dawkins had a precipitous decline last year. All I'm saying is that I think he declined a bit compared to previous years and I think he lost a tiny step last year. Still one of the better safeties in the league, though (and hence why I still give the Eagles the edge as the best secondary unit in the NFC East).

bigbluedefense
03-12-2007, 10:08 AM

I have discussed this numerous times with Cowboy fans before. First and foremost, the scheme against Indy was a passive one, with alot of LB zones and man coverages on the edges.

They rushed 4 or 5 guys which is barely being aggressive. The difference of that game was the 5 man rush got there at a decent time compared to other games. In BP's scheme, the 2 gap front must hold their assignments. That was probably the only Cowboy game I saw where the DEs did the proper reads in their gap assignment.

Also, the two games I saw where the Cowboys implemented an aggressive scheme last year, was @ Philly and @ Detroit. Those 2 games they gave up more yards and points than any other game (I think discluding the Saints game). Roy Williams and Pat Watkins were extremely vulnerable when isolated.

This is what Cowboy fans don't understand. First and foremost, even when Dallas rushed alot of guys last year, the blitz simply didn't get there, and even when it did, their DBs got carved up for large gains. If you put Roy in the box, you have Pat Watkins as the lone safety back there. Cha Ching for the offense.

Now I feel that Watkins can develop into a good safety with practice, but I don't know if that will happen with Phillips at HC. Phillips is notorious for holding back the development of DB players. Im guessing Watkins would be no different.

And Cowboys fans underrate the abilities of SD's safeties. SD's safeties are infinitely better in coverage than Dallas's.

DeathbyStat
03-12-2007, 10:47 AM
Eagles 10-6
Cowboys 9-7
Giants 8-8
Redskins 5-11

Some said going into last last year this was the strongest division,,I didn't believe it then and this this year it maybe one of the weakest besides the NFC North.

With Dallas I think Wade Phillips will improve the defense improve but I don't feel Tony Romo is the savior that many people feel that he is.

The eagles have lost Stallworth and having an aging Defense. Plus Mcnabb may make it three years in a row with another injury that side lines him for some time.

The loss of Tiki Barber will be huge for the Giants and they haven't made an significant upgrades to a defense that wasn't wasn't all that great last year.

As long as the Redskins continue to poorly manage their franchise by signing high priced free agents and trading away draft picks I think they will be doomed to failure

hugepunch
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Earth to all Giants fans. Your super star RB retired and you all will be crying at the end of the year because poor Sh-Eli will finally be a bust. The Eagles Cowboys and Skins will fight for the crown and a wild card spot and the Giants will be 6-10 at best.
earth to all redskins fans you overpay for crap players every year and yuo go nowhere.

Geo
03-12-2007, 11:49 AM
Coughlin is a horrible head coach. He has no composure whatsoever which trickles down to his players, his decision-making and game management are poor at best, he can't handle his players deftly, he can't control his locker room, he can't improve the team any further (can't even get them to stop shooting themselves in the foot with penalties), etcetera.

hugepunch
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Coughlin is a horrible head coach. He has no composure whatsoever which trickles down to his players, his decision-making and game management are poor at best, he can't handle his players deftly, he can't control his locker room, he can't improve the team any further (can't even get them to stop shooting themselves in the foot with penalties), etcetera.
its alright we will sign bill cowher to coach us next year.

Jughead10
03-12-2007, 12:12 PM

Yet he has been to two AFC championships and have taken the Giants to the playoffs 2 out of 3 years here. Also the comment on penatlies, this is a pet peeve with me. People always throw out the old saying penalties are a direct reflection on your coach. That is just not true. For example, Luke Petitgout (the human false start as I call him), him jumping early all the time is by no means a reflection of coaching or Coughlin. More of a reflection of his health. Luke has a bad back and is awfully slow off the snap because of that (he is exactly fast without the back problem either), he always tried to get that extra jump to compensate for it. Which led to a lot of false starts. He was never a true fit at LT to match up against the most athletic pass rushers in the game.

Our three biggest offenders of so called "dumb" penalites, were Plax, Bob Whitfield, and Frank Walker. Two of who are no longer with the team because of it and the other is basically too talented to let go or we probably would. Bill Cowher who everyone loves do damn much wasn't really all the great at controlling Plax either.

eaglesalltheway
03-12-2007, 06:03 PM
its alright we will sign bill cowher to coach us next year.

You will have A LOT of competition, he may be more covetted next off-season than some of the players.

bigbluedefense
03-12-2007, 06:10 PM
You will have A LOT of competition, he may be more covetted next off-season than some of the players.

Bill Cowher has now become an overrated coach. I like the guy alot, but he was a horrible officiated game away from being nothing more than a younger/slightly more successful Marty Schottenheimer. People all forget this. He has a history of poor in game decision making and not so great playoff record. And if the officials didn't hand him the SB, he would be in the same boat as Marty.

Now he's considered the holy grail of coaches. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but he's officially become overrated, because people are praising him a little too much.

Shiver
03-12-2007, 06:13 PM
Bill Cowher has now become an overrated coach. I like the guy alot, but he was a horrible officiated game away from being nothing more than a younger/slightly more successful Marty Schottenheimer. People all forget this. He has a history of poor in game decision making and not so great playoff record. And if the officials didn't hand him the SB, he would be in the same boat as Marty.

Now he's considered the holy grail of coaches. He's a great coach, don't get me wrong, but he's officially become overrated, because people are praising him a little too much.

He'd bring your holy grail - the 3-4 - back..

Geo
03-12-2007, 06:33 PM
That's where Romeo Crennel comes in, actually. Chances are he'll get the axe when Cleveland doesn't improve enough this season, despite being a very good coach who suffered for not having had a quarterback to win with - rookie Jamarcus Russell won't be enough for him this season, I'm afraid.

The Giants will pick Crennel up immediately, and the 3-4 defense returns to Big Blue, as it should.

(Yes, I ponder such things in my free time.)

703SKINS202
03-12-2007, 06:38 PM
can someone close this

jsagan77
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM
earth to all redskins fans you overpay for crap players every year and yuo go nowhere.

Funny that you care. Obviously if we do stuff that is so dumb then there should be no reason to critique. You should be happy with us doing what we do but the reality is that you guys are going to be worse off than us this year.

Jughead10
03-12-2007, 07:51 PM
That's where Romeo Crennel comes in, actually. Chances are he'll get the axe when Cleveland doesn't improve enough this season, despite being a very good coach who suffered for not having had a quarterback to win with - rookie Jamarcus Russell won't be enough for him this season, I'm afraid.

The Giants will pick Crennel up immediately, and the 3-4 defense returns to Big Blue, as it should.

(Yes, I ponder such things in my free time.)

I doubt Romeo Crennel ever gets another head coach job. He is up there in age already. I believe he is already older than Coughlin.

jblaze66
03-12-2007, 10:56 PM
can someone close this
Yea because noone cares right?? Thats why this thread is 5 pages long right??

bigbluedefense
03-13-2007, 08:15 AM
He'd bring your holy grail - the 3-4 - back..

The key to my heart lies in the 3-4.....

Ive been saying forever that we should convert to a 3-4 defense. We have 2 very good MIKEs in Pierce and Blackburn, we have 2 rushbackers in Kiwi and Osi, and we have Strahan and Coffield to man the DE spots. All we need is a NT.

Thats where Pittsburgh comes in. We trade our 1st and 3rd to Pitt for Casey Hampton. Then our front 7 would go from what seems to have many holes from an outside perspective, to a very solid front in a matter of one move.