PDA

View Full Version : Raiders Bench QB JaMarcus Russell Permanently

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/11/raiders-bench-jamarcus-russell-permanently-name-bruce-gradkowski-starter/1

Raiders coach Tom Cable said Wednesday he is removing JaMarcus Russell as the team's starting quarterback.

Bruce Gradkowski will take over as the team's starter. Coach Tom Cable called the move an "easy decision." (Via RaiderBeat.com.)

Russell has led the Raiders to a 2-7 start, and Cable has remained patient and publicly confident in the 2007 No. 1 overall draft pick until now. Gradkowski relieved Russell in last Sunday's 16-10 loss to the Chiefs.

JaWalrus might be finished finally in Oakland!

wicket
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
raiders pick a qb in first round next year or will they trade for one?

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
Only QB Id want is Clausen, maybe sign a QB like Kellen Clemens, Davis Carr...

Babylon
11-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Russell might be a lame duck there but Cable is probably a lamer duck. The new guy will look around and wont see anything better than JaMarcus and figure he can get the guy to produce (they always do). Probably dont see them pulling the trigger on a QB in round 1 this time around.

Don Vito
11-18-2009, 06:05 PM
Russell to the Raiders first overall was pretty much doomed from the moment the pick happened.

Splat
11-18-2009, 06:06 PM
The only person shocked by this move is JaMarcus Russell.

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 06:17 PM

True dat. I love his recent quotes from games this season. Saying it was his fault they lost when he goes like 7 for 25. Last game I admit the WR's dropped passes. But the games before he could even hit the WRs

soybean
11-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Russell to the Raiders first overall was pretty much doomed from the moment the pick happened.

if russell had a cutler/rivers attitude to go along with his poor play, how could he not challenge ryan leaf as one of the biggest bust of all time.

I guess Leaf had a much bigger following than Jamarcus. I don't remember anyone specifically that thought Jamarcus would turn out all-bowl status.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Well, him and Al Davis....

PoopSandwich
11-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Quinn for Russell in the offseason! Worlds most worthless trade.

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 06:48 PM

Id do it...

Philliez01
11-18-2009, 06:53 PM

I do remember, maybe a day before the NFL Draft, some guy posted that Al Davis signed Brady Quinn to a contract and cited some local article as evidence.

Just popped into my cranium.

CC.SD
11-18-2009, 06:56 PM
if russell had a cutler/rivers attitude to go along with his poor play, how could he not challenge ryan leaf as one of the biggest bust of all time.

I guess Leaf had a much bigger following than Jamarcus. I don't remember anyone specifically that thought Jamarcus would turn out all-bowl status.

I think there is an absolute zero where guys like Ryan, Russell, Couch etc. all reside...guys who for whatever reason ultimately contributed absolutely nothing.

Worth pointing out that for all the 'zomg biggest bust ever' talk, Leaf wasn't drafted #1 like turdbucket here.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Let Jamarcus play at his natural weight as a nose tackle. 400lbs nose tackle? Whats not to love

FUNBUNCHER
11-18-2009, 07:17 PM
Just embarrassing for JaMarcus. I have no idea where his career is headed, if there's even an upside for him to strive for.

How can a guy considered a consensus top 3 pick be so AWFUL?? Not bad or inconsistent, but look like someone who hasn't played QB since HS??

tjsunstein
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
He must've read Aaron Schatz's column in the new ESPN magazine. Pages 9-10 for those looking for it.

Yeah, I made a joke and a promo for ESPN Mag all in the same post.

EvilNixon
11-18-2009, 07:30 PM
At this point, our season is done. We might as well leave the guy in there. Although he's been terrible so far,he hasn't had the benefit of an adequate offensive line or a running game to protect him.

CJSchneider
11-18-2009, 07:44 PM
Let Jamarcus play at his natural weight as a nose tackle. 400lbs nose tackle? Whats not to love

If anyone suggests he be turned into a situational pass rusher as well, I swear I will scream.

Sniper
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I think there is an absolute zero where guys like Ryan, Russell, Couch etc. all reside...guys who for whatever reason ultimately contributed absolutely nothing.

Worth pointing out that for all the 'zomg biggest bust ever' talk, Leaf wasn't drafted #1 like turdbucket here.

Russell wasn't in the draft with Peyton Manning.

vikes_28
11-18-2009, 07:50 PM
I think Russel will get a second chance elsewhere. If he sucks there, then we can label him a bust.

LonghornsLegend
11-18-2009, 07:54 PM
It's really pitiful to watch DHB play, yea Russell sucks but come on, your really asking him to suceed with a well below average O-line, and his starting WR's Louis Murphy and DHB? Who has ever had a WR core that pitiful as your top 2 guys? I actually love Murphy's long term potential but he's coming from a spread gimmick offense and your throwing him out there from day one.

DHB has no tools what so ever to play WR yet, he runs one route all game, and he looks so uncomfortable trying to catch the deep pass. It baffles me that a fast 40 made them take him over Crabtree, who missed all of mini camps, TC, pre-season, and months of the regular season and stepped in poised, and if I'm not mistaken had more production in one game then DHB had the entire season thus far.

Situations like those are why you shouldn't expect ANY QB in Oakland to suceed, now watch them draft Ryan Mallett way too high and the same thing happen all over again. It's really sad that Al Davis can have control over the team and not even use a scouting report.

He just has a sheet printed out with all the 40 times and checks off the names as their drafted, nobody really understood the DHB pick at the time but after watching him and Crabtree, and considering you needed a WR to start it baffles me they picked the guy who was a track star instead of the real football player.

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 07:54 PM

But was in the draft with Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin to name a few....

Sniper
11-18-2009, 07:55 PM
But was in the draft with Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Joe Thomas, Ryan Clady, Patrick Willis, Darrelle Revis, Michael Griffin to name a few....

Right, but the next best QB was Brady Quinn. All of those guys are good to great, but they're not QBs.

NOLAFan
11-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Russel may be terrible but he plays for the damn Raiders. If they had a competent coach and owner, i actually do think that Russel would better that he is. Now mind you i'm not talking all-pro, pro bowler **** but good enough to manage and make throws when necessary.

Russel will catch on as a backup for a team when he leaves the Shithole. Maybe someone will make him decent

diabsoule
11-18-2009, 08:10 PM
I think Russel will get a second chance elsewhere. If he sucks there, then we can label him a bust.

There's no need. He sucks and can be labeled a bust now.

vikes_28
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
There's no need. He sucks and can be labeled a bust now.

Even if you think there is no need, he will still get a second chance. Maybe in a place where his "weapons" will be better than DHB. Epic fail on Al Davis's part.

Stash
11-18-2009, 08:29 PM
He will get another chance somewhere, just about everyone who had potential at one point will be given a second chance by some fool. He will fail miserably, but it will still happen.

soybean
11-18-2009, 08:40 PM
Why does everyone think that a change of scenery is all it takes for a qb to be successful?

LonghornsLegend
11-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Why does everyone think that a change of scenery is all it takes for a qb to be successful?

I don't think anyone said that's all it takes, but it would certainly help if he had a better coach, offensive line, WR's, offensive coordinator, etc etc. Same could be said for any QB really, but I'm willing to give anybody who played for Oakland recently a change of scenery before labeling them a bust.

Brown Leader
11-18-2009, 08:45 PM
It's really pitiful to watch DHB play,
So true

TJack to Oakland next year.

San Diego Chicken
11-18-2009, 08:57 PM
This has to be one of the most predictable busts ever in NFL draft history. Raw QB with no work ethic and no intelligence, meet disfunctional organization with poor leadership, no foundation and no direction.

Lesson learned - forget about raw physical skills when you're drafting #1. Don't even ask how far a guy can throw the football until you are 100% sure that he works hard, is a fantastic leader, and has the mental capacity to learn every last detail of an NFL playbook.

bigbluedefense
11-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Not surprising to me at all. I thought he sucked and would bust for any team before the draft, let alone the Raiders.

He was terribly overrated coming into the draft. Everyone forgets how he was pegged as a 2nd round pick before his Bowl game vs Notre Dame, and how he was pushed up draft boards bc he beat up on a terrible college defense.

He never had any business being the #1 overall pick.

He had poor work ethic, lacked passion, was out of shape, raw, etc.

But he was big and had a big arm.

And that went #1 overall. Ridiculous.

Brent
11-18-2009, 09:43 PM
somewhere Jeff Garcia is laughing while banging his insanely hot wife

Scotty D
11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I wonder where Jamarcus would have gone if Oakland wouldn't have drafted him. Detroit? : /

I still like him as a prospect. Give him a new environment. I mean he did have two rookie WRs to start out there year.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-18-2009, 09:46 PM
I feel like I'm watching Space Jam. Neither Jamarcus nor Quinn looks like a struggling young QB to me. They just look like BAD QBs. Struggling young QBs with potential make mistakes, but usually put the ball in a good spot. BAD QBs miss throws, often compounded with bad decisions leading to disaster. Russell and Quinn are BAD QBs. I myself liked Russell coming out, he was accurate, great sense of moving around the pocket, rocket of an arm. I thought he'd be like Big Ben. Quinn I wasn't so high on. He struggled under pressure and his mechanics broke down. But I won't deny he was a good QB and prospect. Both these guys lost their accuracy completely, Quinn has lost his mojo.

Ladies and gentlemen, a group of aliens have robbed both of these kids of all their talent. They are planning to take over the world and it's up to the Looney Tunes and a recently retired Brett Favre to stop them(After they succeed, Favre will unretire).

The Unseen
11-18-2009, 09:52 PM
somewhere Jeff Garcia is laughing while banging his insanely hot wife

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a0A7ilfqlTs/SPoYmMiEmeI/AAAAAAAAAhI/BPAdyWr_y84/s400/Carmella+Decesare.JPG

oh hai guyz

Splat
11-18-2009, 09:56 PM
You know how in pretty much any game the camera shows a QB looking at pictures after their teams drive to see how the D is playing them?

Well the other day they showed JR doing that and he flipped threw them all fast like and then handed them to a coach he didn't even care.

I was watching the Colts play and they showed Peyton doing the same thing only he was studying them like he was still a rookie soaking up the info.

That is pretty much all you need to know the guy has talent you don't get drafted with the first pick with out it but you can't teach desire.

niel89
11-18-2009, 10:26 PM
His desire is honestly the biggest thing holding him back. He just doesn't seem to care enough to really work hard to be a good QB. Yeah he is a bad situation, but the guy doesn't even seem to care. They should just cut him at this point.

vikes_28
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
So true

Lol, that's just as much of a fail.

yo123
11-18-2009, 10:39 PM
So true

Please!! Do this Al Davis. T-Jack has a super strong arm and can run fast! You know you want him.

CC.SD
11-18-2009, 10:57 PM

haha just Adrian Peterson!

11-18-2009, 10:59 PM
haha just Adrian Peterson!

And Orlando Clady.

General Zod
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
So true

lol, arent him and J Russel the same player?

General Zod
11-18-2009, 11:03 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_a0A7ilfqlTs/SPoYmMiEmeI/AAAAAAAAAhI/BPAdyWr_y84/s400/Carmella+Decesare.JPG

oh hai guyz

Thank you for posting this.

Shiver
11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
The funniest thing about Jamarcus Russell is his confidence in himself. It is self-esteem gone awry.

I really can't explain it. (the benching) I really don't know what to say about it, but that was (coach Tom Cable's) decision, and just move on.

I did a pretty good job

He said that of his 109 yard, 1 fumble, 5 sack, 1 INT, sub-5 ypa performance against San Diego.

I don't think it's me personally, I really don't. Do you?

Yes Jamarcus, we do.

This guy never had the work ethic to make it work as a pro-QB, which is more about the mental game than the physical one.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-19-2009, 02:56 AM
I honestly just think Russell never cared enough. He's a great example of a pay day that size having the worst possible effect.

Either way, it looks like we're headed for an uncapped free agency. There's no way Russell rides the bench without Al Davis' consent, so this could actually be Russell's last year on the Raiders. Good riddance, as far as I'm concerned. I will always wish we took Calvin Johnson.

vidae
11-19-2009, 03:18 AM
I watch the local pre-game shows and there was a story of the coaching staff giving Jamarcus Russell a dvd of the plays to take home to study and when he came in the next day and was asked how it was, he said it was good and he understood what he had to do. The only thing was, the dvd they sent home with him was blank so it really called into question whether or not he cared at all anymore.

I think he potentially could have been a good QB if he went to the right situation and learned for a few years behind someone, but that didn't happen. Also, honestly, when will you ever need a QB to throw 60 yards on his knees?

Raider_fan_Canada
11-19-2009, 06:24 AM
I watch the local pre-game shows and there was a story of the coaching staff giving Jamarcus Russell a dvd of the plays to take home to study and when he came in the next day and was asked how it was, he said it was good and he understood what he had to do. The only thing was, the dvd they sent home with him was blank so it really called into question whether or not he cared at all anymore.

I think he potentially could have been a good QB if he went to the right situation and learned for a few years behind someone, but that didn't happen. Also, honestly, when will you ever need a QB to throw 60 yards on his knees?

wow this is awesome. I dont have any touble believing that. Even if it wasnt true it doesnt change much of anything.

Thanks to the people who are well thought enough to realize this is more about Russell's lack of everything then the Raiders lack of structure or talent.

I wonder if Al Davis will have the gutts to cut him and take advantage of the uncaped year, then draft a QB in the 1st round if he has a chance to get the right person. What this team is lacking the most is a true quaterback and leader. Yes we could use a couple better lineman on both sides or a LB, just like every other team. They need someone that can play the most important position and be commited to turning things around, someone to believe in. Also dont forget the Raiders dont have a 1st round pick in 2011 because of the Seymour trade.

bernbabybern820
11-19-2009, 06:43 AM
wow this is awesome. I dont have any touble believing that. Even if it wasnt true it doesnt change much of anything.

Thanks to the people who are well thought enough to realize this is more about Russell's lack of everything then the Raiders lack of structure or talent.

I wonder if Al Davis will have the gutts to cut him and take advantage of the uncaped year, then draft a QB in the 1st round if he has a chance to get the right person. What this team is lacking the most is a true quaterback and leader. Yes we could use a couple better lineman on both sides or a LB, just like every other team. They need someone that can play the most important position and be commited to turning things around, someone to believe in. Also dont forget the Raiders dont have a 1st round pick in 2011 because of the Seymour trade.

This is what makes it so interesting.

Draft a QB next draft or wait until the 2012 draft?

Use your first rounder on a QB or use your 2nd/3rd/4th rounder on a QB?

Jvig43
11-19-2009, 08:04 AM

That is just awesome. Seriously, if I was a coach and the same thing happened that guy would never get a starting job, ever.

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 08:24 AM
While our QB situation is dire,the talent around it needs serious work,especially the offensive line. I'd take Suh,McCoy,or Okung,in the first and grab a stop gap solution like Kellen Clemens.

FuzzyGopher
11-19-2009, 09:04 AM

He's gonna have to be good on his knees to get a job anywhere else.

Raider_fan_Canada
11-19-2009, 09:12 AM
This is what makes it so interesting.

Draft a QB next draft or wait until the 2012 draft?

Use your first rounder on a QB or use your 2nd/3rd/4th rounder on a QB?

In wich purpose?? Do you really count on the Raiders (and lets be fair, it would be true with any team), to develop a franchise QB out of the later rounds?

I think you bite the bullet and do the classic move of the high risk/high reward 1st rounder again and hope for the best. Only this time maybe you dont take the guy that has the highest bust potential in the draft!

jag
11-19-2009, 10:03 AM
I honestly believe he could actually be a decent QB if he signs with the Vikings next year.

He'll have AD taking off a lot of the pressure, as well as a strong young WR core. He really wouldn't have to do much to succeed there, plus being around someone who trains as hard as AD would more than likely rub off on him.

killxswitch
11-19-2009, 10:17 AM
If he won't even watch a DVD at home with some plays on it or really look at photos on the sidelines, I doubt he'll ever do anything at QB in the NFL regardless of how good of a situation he goes to. With all that talent the idea of waiting for him to clear waivers and then having him learn from Manning for a few years is attractive, but one session with Manning would melt his brain.

Gay Ork Wang
11-19-2009, 11:13 AM
then again, the same could have been said for Cedric Benson. Some people just need to grow up

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 11:21 AM
If Ryan Mallett comes out this year.... we might take him in the 2nd, or reach from the top 6 in the draft and get him. Hopefully this season is a wake up call for Davis, we need to go back to the Gruden west coast offence. Draft Clausen, Bradford or sign a vet. Id really be happy to have Suh though

Matthew Jones
11-19-2009, 11:53 AM

I agree completely with this. I think JaMarcus may have failed anyways because of how lazy he's shown himself to be (it seems like he doesn't mind being the butt of all quarterback jokes), but it's the Raiders. They didn't give him a chance. They fired and hired coaches repeatedly, gave him way too many new offenses to learn, didn't take advantage of his skills, and weren't able to put a very solid group of linemen or wide receivers there for him. It didn't matter which QB they took #1, they would have failed.

Splat
11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
I honestly believe he could actually be a decent QB if he signs with the Vikings next year.

He'll have AD taking off a lot of the pressure, as well as a strong young WR core. He really wouldn't have to do much to succeed there, plus being around someone who trains as hard as AD would more than likely rub off on him.

You don't see Brett Favre coming back next season?

I do.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 12:13 PM
Sure the firing of coaches can be blamed or lack of talent, but nothing can be said about his lack of passion for the game. Its pretty clear that he is all about the money, not being a winner. All th reports have been negative about him working out, coming into camp out of shape. Maybe he pulls a Cedric Benson type of turn around if he gets a chance too. He has the talent, lacks the desire to be a NFL QB

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, a group of aliens have robbed both of these kids of all their talent. They are planning to take over the world and it's up to the Looney Tunes and a recently retired Brett Favre to stop them(After they succeed, Favre will unretire).
"I believe I can touch the sky..."

General Zod
11-19-2009, 12:47 PM
"I believe I can touch the sky..."

Just as long as you dont involve Wayne Knight.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 12:56 PM
If Ryan Mallett comes out this year.... we might take him in the 2nd, or reach from the top 6 in the draft and get him. Hopefully this season is a wake up call for Davis, we need to go back to the Gruden west coast offence. Draft Clausen, Bradford or sign a vet. Id really be happy to have Suh though

Ryan Mallett...why not just stick with Russell? I really hope Al can't pronounce Suh's first name and just dismisses him outright. I feel like that's a real possibility.

Saints-Tigers
11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Cutting Russell or drafting a QB there isn't going to accomplish anything. There isn't a QB alive that can succeed there.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 01:14 PM
Cutting Russell or drafting a QB there isn't going to accomplish anything. There isn't a QB alive that can succeed there.

IMO they should spend every draft pick building a decent O-line and mash with D-Mac, Bush and Fargas with some play action thrown in. pick up a game manager somewhere and forget this vertical game ridiculousness.

Shiver
11-19-2009, 01:28 PM
IMO they should spend every draft pick building a decent O-line and mash with D-Mac, Bush and Fargas with some play action thrown in. pick up a game manager somewhere and forget this vertical game ridiculousness.

If every there was a team that should use the wildhog it is the Oakland Raiders. Use McFadden as a QB, with Bush and Fargas. It isn't like they would miss their passing attack.

Saints-Tigers
11-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Wasn't Bush a QB in high school, and recruited as a QB before Brohm broke out?

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 01:32 PM
If every there was a team that should use the wildhog it is the Oakland Raiders. Use McFadden as a QB, with Bush and Fargas. It isn't like they would miss their passing attack.

It would probably improve. was just talking with a Raider fan, saying they should stick with Russell til the end of the year to improve their draft spot/see for sure if he is a complete zero for them. His thought was that by benching him they find out just how much of the wretchedness was Jamarcus based, which should help them make more qualified decisions in the offseason. He's probably right.

HawkeyeFan
11-19-2009, 01:35 PM
Jamarcus Russell reminds me of a player who just floats along, doesn't do anything to improve his game and just goes onto the field only to get paid.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 01:37 PM
Jamarcus Russell reminds me of a player who just floats along, doesn't do anything to improve his game and just goes onto the field only to get paid.

You know you're in trouble when there are articles written about the times you show up to work early.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 01:58 PM
Ryan Mallett...why not just stick with Russell? I really hope Al can't pronounce Suh's first name and just dismisses him outright. I feel like that's a real possibility.

I dont want Mallett, but wouldnt be surprised if we draft him. Al drafted Nnamdi Asomugha... he should know how to pernounce Ndamukong Suh

Splat
11-19-2009, 02:03 PM
I think the whole "Russell doesn't have any thing around him" argument is getting blown out of proportion.

The Raiders are a bad football team I get it but to me Russell's bad play has more to do with him then the players around him.

P-L
11-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't understand this move. Bruce Gradkowski is pretty terrible himself, is older, and has been in the league longer. Stick with the younger guy that has higher upside and hope the light just turns on in one of the final few games. If it doesn't, then look to sign a vet in the offseason or take one in the draft. Trust me, the Raiders aren't going to win any more games with Gadkowski than they are with Russell.

Shiver
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
I think the whole "Russell doesn't have any thing around him" argument is getting blown out of proportion.

The Raiders are a bad football team I get it but to me Russell's bad play has more to do with him then the players around him.

I wonder, if I put Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in his place, would they succeed there? I think they would do just fine.

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 02:17 PM
The Raiders have a lot of talent,but not enough in the trenches and at QB.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 02:46 PM
I wonder, if I put Drew Brees, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning in his place, would they succeed there? I think they would do just fine.

I serious think we would be decent. We have a very young offence with potential. The oline isnt great, but you can win some games with it. We need another OT and maybe a upgrade at RG. We have 3 RBs that you can win with, a top 10 TE IMO and 3 young WRs(Schilens, DHB and Murphy) that with the right coaching can be a nice group.

Im pretty sure if you put Peyton Brady or Brees anywhere they will be fine.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 02:58 PM
I dont want Mallett, but wouldnt be surprised if we draft him. Al drafted Nnamdi Asomugha... he should know how to pernounce Ndamukong Suh

Hm, pretty good point. Can't discount the possibility that Al just heard it on the radio during a Cal game tho.

Babylon
11-19-2009, 03:17 PM

I'm surprised McFadden doesnt catch more flack for their woes there, DHB too. Come to think of it i'm seeing a pattern there.

P-L
11-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey looks abysmal. It is still really early, but I've never seen a 1st Round pick contribute so little (excluding injured players). Six catches in nine games is just pathetic.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I'm surprised McFadden doesnt catch more flack for their woes there, DHB too. Come to think of it i'm seeing a pattern there.

It's okay that pattern will end in 2011.

11-19-2009, 03:29 PM
I miss Lane Kiffin. He was a pretty damn good recruiting coordinator during his time at USC, and the two drafts he was a part of with Oakland turned out alright, aside from Russell who he didn't want to draft in the first place. No one really knows how much of an input he had in those drafts, though. McFadden had his best game to date under Kiffin, and Russell looked good in his few starts while Kiffin was here. So in saying that, the current coaching staff and their utilization of those said players are as much to do with the problem as anything else. I absolutely can't wait until Cable is fired, and we hire a real NFL-qualifed HC (which won't happen under Al, of course).

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 03:52 PM
I miss Lane Kiffin. He was a pretty damn good recruiting coordinator during his time at USC, and the two drafts he was a part of with Oakland turned out alright, aside from Russell who he didn't want to draft in the first place. No one really knows how much of an input he had in those drafts, though. McFadden had his best game to date under Kiffin, and Russell looked good in his few starts while Kiffin was here. So in saying that, the current coaching staff and their utilization of those said players are as much to do with the problem as anything else. I absolutely can't wait until Cable is fired, and we hire a real NFL-qualifed HC (which won't happen under Al, of course).

I'd love to see a movie about a Raider fan who discovers that Al Davis really has made a deal with the devil, and heads down to hell in an attempt to get the devil to collect what he's owed. Action, suspense, intense Raider mockery...not much more to ask for.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 03:56 PM

DMC isnt being used right. He isnt a guy you run up the middle, he needs to get out in space. Our running offence is to simple, we rarely pull a guard or do counters. Its pretty much dive to left or right or a toss. I thought we would be using the wildcat alot more since the success Miami has had with it. Used it a little against KC last week, but went away from it

EDIT

Also as to DHB, I knew he wasnt going to come in and be good, he is the type of player you cant label a bust for a few years. Hopefully he can turn into our #2 WR/deep threat.

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
DHB has so much potential. I willing to be patient until he receives some quality NFL coaching and a consistent QB,before judging him.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
DHB has so much potential. I willing to be patient until he receives some quality NFL coaching and a consistent QB,before judging him.

Well man I think you are going to have to be pretty darn patient if you are willing to wait for those things in Oakland before rendering a verdict on Slippy.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starfox/images/thumb/d/df/Slippy.jpg/250px-Slippy.jpg
"Why am I being compared to DHB???"

Shut up Slippy. Do a barrel roll.

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Well man I think you are going to have to be pretty darn patient if you are willing to wait for those things in Oakland before rendering a verdict on Slippy.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/starfox/images/thumb/d/df/Slippy.jpg/250px-Slippy.jpg
"Why am I being compared to DHB???"

Shut up Slippy. Do a barrel roll.

lol. That frog looks wild h0mo

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 05:00 PM
lol. That frog looks wild h0mo

Oh he definitely is.

11-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I'd just like to point this out for anyone who doesn't look to the left when they read the forums.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/customavatars/avatar9065_6.gif

That's RaiderNation's avatar. It's also Jamarcus......

I knew he wasn't a beefcake, but wow, he looks like he eats beef cake.

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
I'd just like to point this out for anyone who doesn't look to the left when they read the forums.

http://www.raiderfans.net/forum/customavatars/avatar9065_6.gif

That's RaiderNation's avatar. It's also Jamarcus......

I knew he wasn't a beefcake, but wow, he looks like he eats beef cake.

Ya.... thats our franchise QB!!!

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 05:46 PM
http://watelevision.com/site/upfiles/Hippo.gif

Shiver
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Also as to DHB, I knew he wasnt going to come in and be good, he is the type of player you cant label a bust for a few years. Hopefully he can turn into our #2 WR/deep threat.

He could turn into a Sidney Rice type player, who did nothing for a long time, but has now come alive.

11-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Hey if you google Jamarcus Russell back fat, this thread is the 3rd result!

RaiderNation
11-19-2009, 05:53 PM
He could turn into a Sidney Rice type player, who did nothing for a long time, but has now come alive.

Thats what Im thinking he will do, he is going to be a nonfactor for us for a few years, then break out

Xonraider
11-19-2009, 06:23 PM
Jamarcus looks like a pancake on your picture RaiderN!!

Paranoidmoonduck
11-19-2009, 06:43 PM

I wouldn't discount it, although Rice had a better feel for the position coming out of South Carolina than Heyward-Bey has right now. I'm not really sure why everyone is suprised by DHB. We all knew he was raw (much more so than Maclin or Crabtree). He didn't run any real variance of routes in Maryland and had never had particularly good hands.

Still, I won't write him off. I expected him to suck his rookie year (granted, I didn't expect him to suck quite this much). He is managing to get open pretty consistently, but he's totally psyched himself out when the ball is coming his way and considering that the guys throwing him the ball aren't very good, it hasn't worked out at all. I still wish we had at least taken Maclin instead, but Heyward-Bey isn't a total lost cause (nor is McFadden).

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Hey if you google Jamarcus Russell back fat, this thread is the 3rd result!

Scott should put that on his resume

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 07:34 PM
The thing with DHB isn't separation,which is why I'm so optimistic about him. He blew by Revis 4 times I counted in the Jets game,but he just doesn't consistently concentrate enough to make the catches when JaWalrus hits em in the hands.

Jvig43
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Or he catches it out of bounds.... or not at all.

P-L
11-19-2009, 07:51 PM
and had never had particularly good hands.
Well, all the Maryland fans told us he had great hands and caught everything.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Well, all the Maryland fans told us he had great hands and caught everything.

Well then, they were full of crap then, weren't they? I rarely ever watched Maryland and even I knew that Heyward-Bey let way too many balls get into his body. He can be a good hand catcher, but he's never been forced to be and he's not very practiced at it.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 08:04 PM
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/11/raiders-bench-jamarcus-russell-permanently-name-bruce-gradkowski-starter/1

JaWalrus might be finished finally in Oakland!

I doubt it is permanently and I doubt Cable had any say in it. He just follows the bosses orders. Gradowski is not an NFL starting QB but he cannot be any worse than Russell. I think they are just trying to light a fire under Russell to see how he responds. Face it, no rookie QB can succeed in a dysfunctional organization like Oakland's with Al Davis calling all the shots. Al will be looking for a veteran QB for next year. I don't think he will draft one too high.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM

I'm certainly not a 100% sure he will ever be successful but there will be 31 teams lining up to give it a try, all believing Al Davis screwed any chance he coud succeed in Oakland. The franchise is a total mess and young players are lost on that team. The HC is below bad, just a 'yes man' to Al Davis and the players know it.

Bengalsrocket
11-19-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm certainly not a 100% sure he will ever be successful but there will be 31 teams lining up to give it a try, all believing Al Davis screwed any chance he coud succeed in Oakland. The franchise is a total mess and young players are lost on that team. The HC is below bad, just a 'yes man' to Al Davis and the players know it.

There will not be 31 teams lining up to give Jamarcus Russel a try, sorry.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 10:28 PM
There will not be 31 teams lining up to give Jamarcus Russel a try, sorry.

I disagree. Almost every GM will figure that Russell had zero chance to develop in Al Davis's excuse for an organization. They will all wonder what Russell could accomplish if he landed with a team that had a sound organization and a solid HC. They would want to see if their HC and the veterans on their team could inspire Russell to work his butt off. With his arm, every team will want a shot at his services even if he turns out to be a flop. If Oakland allows him to enter FA, it will cost peanuts to give him another shot with the financial risk minimal for the potential reward.
Oakland is a dead franchise waiting for Al Davis's demise. As long as he owns the team, they won't see daylight even if they drafted another Peyton. Nobody can be really successful in that mess and most would love to get out of Oakland and go to another team.

Splat
11-19-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm pretty sure JR will get another chance but his market will be small.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure JR will get another chance but his market will be small.

Again I disagree. That arm is going to make practically every GM drool at the potential if they can modivate this kid and as I said previously, the cost will be peanuts to give it a try. QB hungrey teams will line up for sure and even top teams will sit him for a year or 2 to see if they can develop him. See David Carr with the Giants.

Staubach12
11-20-2009, 01:10 AM
I hope Russell moves on to a team with some more talent soon. I'm just not quite ready to write him off, Oakland is a screwed up place.