PDA

View Full Version : Riley Cooper....

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Here is an intriguing prospect that seems to be coming on at the right time, a player who has a ton of "upside". 6'3 215lbs...anywhere from sub 4.4 to low 4.5 times have been assigned to him (the combine will sort that out, I'm guessing low 4.4....how's 4.42 as my estimate) that type of speed with that size should, in a fair world, put him in the same breath as Arrelious Benn & Dez Bryant, both players who supposedly are projected to be low to mid 1st round picks even though neither one of them has the production to match the hype they both receive. Let's just look at the facts, he is big, fast, explosive (check out him running AWAY from the south carolina secondary on his 68 yard TD run this past weekend) with pretty good hands. In my opinion, I would take a Jordan Shipley or a Mardy Gillard before him, because they produced more on the field, even thou he is a better athlete then either of them. If this guy finishes the year strong, and blows up the combine like the Gator coaches are saying he will, should be a solid mid to late 2nd round pick, 3rd round at worst. So, my esteemed colleagues, would you care to venture an opinion on Mr. Cooper?

OneToughGame
11-18-2009, 05:36 PM
A White Florida Wide Receiver?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:rolleyes:

fenikz
11-18-2009, 05:40 PM
4.56, no way he runs a 4.42 or anything under a 4.5 imo

Sniper
11-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Arrelious Benn & Dez Bryant, both players who supposedly are projected to be low to mid 1st round picks even though neither one of them has the production to match the hype they both receive.

Benn has/had three awful QBs his whole career.

Dez put up 17 catches for 323 yards (19.0 per) and four touchdowns in three games this year. He also added a punt return for a TD and averaged 37 ypr. Last season, he was a Biletnikoff finalist with 87 catches, 1,480 yards (17.01 per) and 19 TD, and added two punt returns for TDs and averaged nearly 18 ypr.

Gee, I sure do wish Bryant had produced some in the college game. It's probably just a ploy to keep the white man down. How come you never answered to my post when I replied Wes Welker to your ludicrous claim that "any white player running slower than a 4.6" would be banned from the NFL"?

Todd Bertuzzi
11-18-2009, 05:44 PM
I would be fine using a mid round pick on him, but he's not a top round talent. He'll be a reliable NFL player and could be an asset to any team as a depth receiver who is a great blocker.

nhlkdog411
11-18-2009, 05:45 PM

Dez put up 17 catches for 323 yards (19.0 per) and four touchdowns in three games this year. He also added a punt return for a TD and averaged 37 ypr. Last season, he was a Biletnikoff finalist with 87 catches, 1,480 yards (17.01 per) and 19 TD, and added two punt returns for TDs and averaged nearly 18 ypr.

Gee, I sure do wish Bryant had produced some in the college game. It's probably just a ploy to keep the white man down. How come you never answered to my post when I replied Wes Welker to your ludicrous claim that "any white player running slower than a 4.6" would be banned from the NFL"?

I'm pretty sure you misunderstood his claim which I believe was that any white skill position player running faster than 4.6 would be blackballed.

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 05:47 PM

Well sir, despite a stellar college career, Mr. Welker went undrafted & got cut from the Chargers? I think we all would agree right now that Mr. Welker is a top 10 receiver in the league, would you not. I think Welker proves my point about the double standard when it comes to white skill position players, not the other way around.

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm pretty sure you misunderstood his claim which I believe was that any white skill position player running faster than 4.6 would be blackballed.

No I meant that any white skill position player running a 4.6 or higher time would be banned from the league, even thou for some reason, Aquion Boldin's mid 4.7 time seems to be a-ok for him, and I think, although they possess different skill sets, Welker is neck and neck for the better overall receiver.

Trivia
11-18-2009, 05:56 PM

You must be a negro.

Another negro doubting...

Quickness over speed.

Sniper
11-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Well sir, despite a stellar college career, Mr. Welker went undrafted & got cut from the Chargers?

Timmy Chang went undrafted despite a prolific career at Hawaii. Is the NFL opposed to Asians, too?

I think we all would agree right now that Mr. Welker is a top 10 receiver in the league, would you not.

No, I wouldn't. He's the best slot guy in the NFL, but he wouldn't have the numbers if it weren't for Moss. Guys off the top of my head that I'd take before Welker, in no order.

Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
DeSean Jackson
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Steve Smith
Roddy White
Donald Driver
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall

I'm surely forgetting a few.

I think Welker proves my point about the double standard when it comes to white skill position players, not the other way around.

He doesn't. Try again.

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 06:02 PM
Timmy Chang went undrafted despite a prolific career at Hawaii. Is the NFL opposed to Asians, too?

No, I wouldn't. He's the best slot guy in the NFL, but he wouldn't have the numbers if it weren't for Moss. Guys off the top of my head that I'd take before Welker, in no order.

Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
DeSean Jackson
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Steve Smith
Roddy White
Donald Driver
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall

He doesn't. Try again.

No sir, with all due respect, your a lost cause.

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Try to stay on topic, I know your attention span must be very short, so get off Welker.....and back on Cooper.....ok?

Trivia
11-18-2009, 06:03 PM

Randy Moss
Larry Fitzgerald
Calvin Johnson
DeSean Jackson
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Vincent Jackson
Steve Smith
Roddy White
Donald Driver
Marques Colston
Greg Jennings
Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall

He doesn't. Try again.

The thing is that Toby Gerhart was barely even a RB. They wouldn't offer him a scholarship as an RB probably because he was white. Only one school did i think, Welker is a great player and Randy Moss does take the pressure off him, but that doesn't mean he sucks. He's still one of the top Receivers.

FUNBUNCHER
11-18-2009, 06:12 PM
It's about more than measurables, danzing. Riley Cooper had a really hard time cracking the lineup at UF. Besides, he doesn't look 6'3 to me at all. And if he runs a sub 4.45, I'd be smacked in the face.

Also, you gotta have production on the field that supports your pre-draft test numbers. Not saying he can't play, but it has nothing to do with his paint job.

EDIT: Apparently the kid is a superior athlete, but I don't think he originally came to UF as a WR. Anyway, why not judge a prospect on his merits instead of making it an issue about color?

Trust me, if you're white, 6'3, 215#, run a 4.3-4.4 and put up big numbers as a WR, the NFL could care less what color you are.

Trivia
11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
It's about more than measurables, danzing. Riley Cooper had a really hard time cracking the lineup at UF. Besides, he doesn't look 6'3 to me at all. And if he runs a sub 4.45, I'd be smacked in the face.

Also, you gotta have production on the field that supports your pre-draft test numbers. Not saying he can't play, but it has nothing to do with his paint job.

EDIT: Apparently the kid is a superior athlete, but I don't think he originally came to UF as a WR. Anyway, why not judge a prospect on his merits instead of making it an issue about color?

Trust me, if you're white, 6'3, 215#, run a 4.3-4.4 and put up big numbers as a WR, the NFL could care less what color you are.

Unless you are indian...

FUNBUNCHER
11-18-2009, 06:16 PM
The thing is that Toby Gerhart was barely even a RB. They wouldn't offer him a scholarship as an RB probably because he was white. Only one school did i think, Welker is a great player and Randy Moss does take the pressure off him, but that doesn't mean he sucks. He's still one of the top Receivers.

Huh? Are you talking about Welker??

Babylon
11-18-2009, 06:18 PM

Not sure if that is total tongue in cheek or not because he was running 4.35 out of highschool and runs away from SECzzzz guys on a quite regular basis.

One of the things that actually hurts Coop that the OP fails to mention is he was a baseball/football guy who couldnt make up his mind with whom to play his spring ball. Add to that he is actually hindered by submarine thrower Tim Tebow who isnt able to stretch the defense and you probably have an underrated WR going into the combine. If he can run under 4.4 at the combine, like i think he will, at 6-3 215 he may get a second round look. Dont think he can get into the 1st round but Matt Jones did and he was less polished as a WR out of college.

RaiderNation
11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Omgzzzz A Tim Tebowzzz Wr!!!! Draft Cooperzzzz And Shipeyzzzz!!! Championshipzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Trivia
11-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Huh? Are you talking about Welker??

No, white players.

danzing1488
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM

Not true, Jordy Nelson put up Braylan Edwards type production in college, Brayen Edwards type athleticism at the combine (Nelson ran a 4.48 and Edwards ran a 4.45 at his pro day) has better hands then Edwards, but for some strangeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee reason, Edwards goes 3rd in the draft, and Nelson goes 36th.....u do the math

OneToughGame
11-18-2009, 06:26 PM
No sir, with all due respect, your a lost cause.

Irony.....

Babylon
11-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Prepared to be smacked in the face come combine time

I think the production will have an effect on his draft status but i also think 17 ypc shows he's got some giddyup.

He did come to the Gators as a WR and outfielder and i'm really trying to judge him based on his ability

Totally agree

Sniper
11-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Not true, Jordy Nelson put up Braylan Edwards type production in college, Brayen Edwards type athleticism at the combine (Nelson ran a 4.48 and Edwards ran a 4.45 at his pro day) has better hands then Edwards, but for some strangeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee reason, Edwards goes 3rd in the draft, and Nelson goes 36th.....u do the math

I mean, if you're going to make ridiculously dumb statements, please make sure there's not a huge homer for that player in the thread.

Braylon Edwards' college stats- 252 catches, 3,541 yards, 14.05 ypc, 39 TD out of a pro-style offense, won the Biletnikoff
Jordy Nelson's college stats- 206 catches 2,822 yards, 13.69 ypc, 20 TD out of a spread offense

FUNBUNCHER
11-18-2009, 06:53 PM

I watched a lot Michigan games during Edwards last season, not so much for Nelson. Edwards punked the entire Big Ten and established almost every major receiving record at UM and also set the conference record for TDs. He also had 3 years of 1000 yard receiving at UM.

Jordy Nelson had a monster senior year at K-State, but IMO he wasn't dominant in the same way the Edwards was for 4 years at Michigan.

I think both their careers thus far in the pros support their draft positions; Edwards was a pro bowler on a horrible Browns team, Jordy I believe is the 2nd/3rd WR for Green Bay.

Again, it's not an issue about color; Nelson has nice athleticism and size, but I don't believe he's the caliber of WR, ( yet) of a Braylon Edwards.

I don't know how you manage to watch pro football if you see everything as a Black/White issue.:rolleyes:

dex
11-18-2009, 07:14 PM
He has actually be timed as a 4.3 guy. He was one of the names on the Florida Gators plaque i saw near the Gators workout room. There was a list of guys of 40 times, 20 times and other workout times.

Maybe they were hand times i do not know. If he did go to the combine i think he could run a 4.4.

Also i think he is easily the best blocker at the WR position in this years class. I've seen more than 5 pancakes this year from him. He is a beast of a blocker for a WR.

Not a very good route runner but he is tough as they come. 2 times this year i saw him go all out and run to the sidelines to throwup because of the flu stuff that went around.

If he didn't get drafted into the MLB he would have a future in the NFL.

Malaka
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
There's no way he's a better blocker than Demaryius Thomas that guy is nasty.

niel89
11-18-2009, 07:23 PM
You do this to every good white player. You hype them up and claim that they are getting held down. Your over-hyping leads to other people on here to have to tear the prospect back down to reasonable level or down to a lower view then the prospect should be viewed at. You are holding down how people view the white players through your actions.

Stop it.

Babylon
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
He has actually be timed as a 4.3 guy. He was one of the names on the Florida Gators plaque i saw near the Gators workout room. There was a list of guys of 40 times, 20 times and other workout times.

Maybe they were hand times i do not know. If he did go to the combine i think he could run a 4.4.

Also i think he is easily the best blocker at the WR position in this years class. I've seen more than 5 pancakes this year from him. He is a beast of a blocker for a WR.

Not a very good route runner but he is tough as they come. 2 times this year i saw him go all out and run to the sidelines to throwup because of the flu stuff that went around.

If he didn't get drafted into the MLB he would have a future in the NFL.

He was drafted by the Texas Rangers in the 25th round, not sure if he signed a contract, which doesnt mean that much if he did. Jake Locker signed a deal with the Angels but he is committed to playing football. Knowing Jake he'll give that money back when he signs an NFL deal (speculation there)

A lof of guys think they can play baseball and they really cant, John Elway couldnt, nor did Danny Ainge, Josh Booty and i'll predict Jeff Smardzija in the long run. Word was Cooper couldnt hit the breaking ball which for any baseball fan spells failure in that sport. That and his having a breakout type season which has seen his stock soar makes me think he'll play football.

RedVision
11-18-2009, 08:27 PM
You do this to every good white player. You hype them up and claim that they are getting held down. Your over-hyping leads to other people on here to have to tear the prospect back down to reasonable level or down to a lower view then the prospect should be viewed at. You are holding down how people view the white players through your actions.

Stop it.

Great post, i'd +rep you if I could.

murdamal86
11-18-2009, 10:42 PM
He's a mid round guy at best if he was fully committed to football but his future is in baseball.

TT Gator
11-21-2009, 12:13 AM
Cooper has definatly got potential but with only one year starting and what will no doubt be modest stats thanks to Florida's run-heavy offence I think he's looking at the 3rd round right now. But with a great Senior Bowl and Combine he could move up alot during the offseason process like Brian Robeskie did last year. I'm not so sure he runs a 4.4 40 but he'd easily run a 4.5 and that's not bad for his size. Teams like the Rams, Browns, and Buccs who have a bunch of issues, WR among them, would definatly have to look at him in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I could see him being the Johnny Knox of the 2010 Draft.

49ers1984
11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
I would suprised he would be drafted though I guess I could someone taking a chance on him late round. He really does nothing great and really has not set himself apart from other wide recievers other then being on a great team. I just do not think players should be drafted because they play some on a great team and that what would happen if Riley Copper was drafted.

Babylon
11-23-2009, 03:31 PM
I would suprised he would be drafted though I guess I could someone taking a chance on him late round. He really does nothing great and really has not set himself apart from other wide recievers other then being on a great team. I just do not think players should be drafted because they play some on a great team and that what would happen if Riley Copper was drafted.

I think 6-3 215lbs with 4.4 speed and 17ypc separates him from a lot of people.

murdamal86
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM

I don't think we are saying that he's going to challenge Dez Bryant for the top WR spot, but he's a pretty darn good receiver in his own right. His catch and run against SC was solid, he had a spectacular grab against UGA a few weeks ago, and he had two huge catches against Bama last year.

Now in your opinion, why won't NO team bother drafting him when it comes to him as a prospect?

49ers1984
11-25-2009, 06:51 PM
I don't think we are saying that he's going to challenge Dez Bryant for the top WR spot, but he's a pretty darn good receiver in his own right. His catch and run against SC was solid, he had a spectacular grab against UGA a few weeks ago, and he had two huge catches against Bama last year.

Now in your opinion, why won't NO team bother drafting him when it comes to him as a prospect?

He does not do one thing great though and if you are not a great overall reciever you need to do one thing great. He is an average at blocking route running, catching ball thrown in the air. Just because you are a starter on a top team in the NCCA team does not mean you are a NFL player.

FUNBUNCHER
11-25-2009, 07:21 PM
His physical tools will earn him a look from some team, especially if he blows up his 40 time.

It's really hard to gauge the pro potential of any WR playing in Meyer's spread option offense.

If Riley is capable of busting a 4.45 or better, he'll remind of Colorado WR Michael Westbrook; raw talent with excellent measurables but a 10 cent head.

murdamal86
11-25-2009, 08:36 PM
He does not do one thing great though and if you are not a great overall reciever you need to do one thing great. He is an average at blocking route running, catching ball thrown in the air. Just because you are a starter on a top team in the NCCA team does not mean you are a NFL player.

He may not be an accomplished route runner but catching the ball and blocking AREN'T things he has to work on. He may have trouble getting separation from a number 1 CB in the NFL but I have no doubts that he'd be able to beat a nickel back or number 2 CB. I just think it's a bit much to say he won't be drafted (if he decides to fully invest time into football)

Babylon
11-25-2009, 08:46 PM
He may not be an accomplished route runner but catching the ball and blocking AREN'T things he has to work on. He may have trouble getting separation from a number 1 CB in the NFL but I have no doubts that he'd be able to beat a nickel back or number 2 CB. I just think it's a bit much to say he won't be drafted (if he decides to fully invest time into football)

I agree, he is a physical player so i dont think getting of jams at 6-3 215 is going to be a problem. Outstanding speed and outstanding blocker. Not sure how many outstandings some people need to be convinced.

Day One Pick
11-26-2009, 05:44 AM
Here's my WR rankings. I have Cooper 19th and can't really see myself moving him ahead of anyone. That would put Cooper into the 6th round to UDFA range. But there are some underclassmen that will probably return to school, so that will move him up some.

1 Dez Bryant, 6-2, 210, Oklahoma State*
2 Golden Tate, 5-11, 195, Notre Dame*
3 Damien Williams, 6-1, 190, Southern California*
4 Brandon LaFell, 6-3, 194, Louisiana State
5 Mardy Gilyard, 6-1, 185, Cincinnati
6 Arrelious Benn, 6-2, 215, Illinois*
7 DeMaryius Thomas, 6-3, 228, Georgia Tech*
8 Jordan Shipley, 6-0, 190, Texas
9 Danario Alexander, 6-5, 210, Missouri*
10 Dezmon Briscoe, 6-3, 200, Kansas*
11 Mike Williams, 6-2, 205, Syracuse
12 Armon Binns, 6-4, 200, Cincinnati*
13 Jeremy Williams, 6-1, 205, Tulane
14 Jacoby Ford, 5-10, 185, Clemson
15 Austin Pettis, 6-3, 202, Boise State*
16 Terrance Tolliver, 6-4, 206, Louisiana State*
17 Eric Decker, 6-2, 215, Minnesota
18 David Gilreath, 5-11, 170, Wisconsin*
19 Riley Cooper, 6-3, 215, Florida
20 Blair White, 6-2, 200, Michigan State
21 Freddie Barnes, 6-0, 209, Bowling Green
22 Chris McGaha, 6-1, 199, Arizona State
23 Stephen Williams, 6-5, 200, Toledo
24 Naaman Roosevelt, 6-0, 187, Buffalo
25 Greg Salas, 6-2, 200, Hawaii
26 Antonio Brown, 5-10, 185, Central Michigan*
27 Tim Brown, 5-8, 165, Rutgers
28 Preston Parker, 5-11, 195, North Alabama
29 Alric Arnett, 6-2, 189, West Virginia
30 Mark Dell, 6-2, 190, Michigan State*

nepg
11-26-2009, 07:02 AM
No I meant that any white skill position player running a 4.6 or higher time would be banned from the league, even thou for some reason, Aquion Boldin's mid 4.7 time seems to be a-ok for him, and I think, although they possess different skill sets, Welker is neck and neck for the better overall receiver.
What other Texas Tech WR before Crabtree was drafted with a decent pick?

And if Louis Murphy didn't get drafted high, neither will Cooper as he's just not as good.

nepg
11-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Everyone knew/knows Anquan had an injured leg when he ran that time. His 4.7 was a fluke.

Babylon
11-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Here's my WR rankings. I have Cooper 19th and can't really see myself moving him ahead of anyone. That would put Cooper into the 6th round to UDFA range. But there are some underclassmen that will probably return to school, so that will move him up some.

I'd probably have him around 6th on that list, not sure if i'd put him ahead of Shipley but i think i would. Lists right now dont amount to much. At a similar time of the year Matt Jones of Arkansas was on zero lists. Cooper will have to pull a Matt Jones and really turn heads at the combine. Can he match Jones' sub 4.4? My money says he will.

ironman4579
11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
I don't know why you guys even respond to his threads. Did you notice he always disappears out of every one of his own threads after some of his ******** "facts" get called out?

Stop feeding the stupid.

Babylon
11-26-2009, 11:41 AM
I don't know why you guys even respond to his threads. Did you notice he always disappears out of every one of his own threads after some of his ******** "facts" get called out?

Stop feeding the stupid.

Which one?

ironman4579
11-26-2009, 11:51 AM
Which one?

Well, danzig, but you have a point................

JhawkFitness
11-28-2009, 11:49 PM

No Kerry Meier?

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 12:32 AM
No Kerry Meier?

Maybe top 40 once some of the underclassmen are removed. I think 6 or 7 on this list return to school, or atleast should.

Meier looks like a UDFA to me.

BuffaloBillsFan
11-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Come on, look at all the success Gator receivers have had in the NFL lately, Cooper is a well rounded player. Very good blocker, good speed, soft hands, ideal slot guy, imho.

49ers1984
11-30-2009, 04:14 PM

He has had problems with drops lately though he made a nice catch versus Florida State. Having problems with separation is a big deal with getting drafted he struggles with that at the combine he may not be drafted.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Even if this guy runs a 4.4 i still would wait until the 5th round to take him. Hes just to unproven.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Even if this guy runs a 4.4 i still would wait until the 5th round to take him. Hes just to unproven.

40 yard dash doesn't mean a thing when referring to Riley Cooper, but it does for Toby Gerhart? I think you have it the other way around. On film, we can see how fast Gerhart is compared to competition, yet Cooper isn't usually in an open field scenario in which you can determine exactly how fast he is. A receiver has to often shift speeds, gear down and up again on the same play, and due to Florida's gimmicky spread offense we don't see him move vertically too often.

If Riley Cooper, at 6'3 205+, runs a sub 4.4, it's going to mean something because he does play fast, let's see how fast he is compared to other Junior and Senior receivers. I feel private workouts, his senior All-Star game, and the NFL Combine will be revealing for Cooper. He is a solid route runner, he gets separation, he is big, he is fast, and he's one of the best blocking WRs in this draft. His hands and concentration are a slight cause for concern, and he hasn't been asked to run a full route tree, but overall he's a good receiver prospect. Depending on how he performs from here, he could go as high as the 3rd Round.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 04:53 PM
He has had problems with drops lately though he made a nice catch versus Florida State. Having problems with separation is a big deal with getting drafted he struggles with that at the combine he may not be drafted.

He doesnt have problems with sepration, he's 6-3 215 and very physical.In all the games i've seen Florida play he gets off press coverage very well. I would say hands and route running would be areas of question not beating bump and run or speed. God i hope he isnt the next DHB.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
40 yard dash doesn't mean a thing when referring to Riley Cooper, but it does for Toby Gerhart? I think you have it the other way around. On film, we can see how fast Gerhart is compared to competition, yet Cooper isn't usually in an open field scenario in which you can determine exactly how fast he is. A receiver has to often shift speeds, gear down and up again on the same play, and due to Florida's gimmicky spread offense we don't see him move vertically too often.

If Riley Cooper, at 6'3 205+, runs a sub 4.4, it's going to mean something because he does play fast, let's see how fast he is compared to other Junior and Senior receivers. I feel private workouts, his senior All-Star game, and the NFL Combine will be revealing for Cooper. He is a solid route runner, he gets separation, he is big, he is fast, and he's one of the best blocking WRs in this draft. His hands and concentration are a slight cause for concern, and he hasn't been asked to run a full route tree, but overall he's a good receiver prospect. Depending on how he performs from here, he could go as high as the 3rd Round.

If Cooper runs a 4.4 all that would prove is that he is fast. Thats it. It will not mean he is a good WR. Like i said he is unproven while Gerhart has proven himself to be a very good player. DHB for the Raiders ran what a 4.3 and what has that gotten them? 9 Receptions for 124 yards and 1 TD in 12 games. Cooper is unproven and needs to be considered a Project at best.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
If Cooper runs a 4.4 all that would prove is that he is fast. Thats it. It will not mean he is a good WR. Like i said he is unproven while Gerhart has proven himself to be a very good player. DHB for the Raiders ran what a 4.3 and what has that gotten them? 9 Receptions for 124 yards and 1 TD in 12 games. Cooper is unproven and needs to be considered a Project at best.

You're bringing up DHB? Why? Bring up Louis Murphy. Same college, same route tree, same college QB. Murphy's developed favorably thus far, though he probably did less well compared to Cooper, who is at least a very good blocking WR. He's unproven in the sense that he's raw as a route-runner, and needs to show that he can concentrate consistently, every down, all the time. He's a well rounded player though and is a good football player. Like many receivers, his all-star game practices will be huge to see how far along he is as a player.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:34 PM
You're bringing up DHB? Why? Bring up Louis Murphy. Same college, same route tree, same college QB. Murphy's developed favorably thus far, though he probably did less well compared to Cooper, who is at least a very good blocking WR. He's unproven in the sense that he's raw as a route-runner, and needs to show that he can concentrate consistently, every down, all the time. He's a well rounded player though and is a good football player. Like many receivers, his all-star game practices will be huge to see how far along he is as a player.

Good God i didn't know my opinion was going to anger you so. Please All Mighty Pudge forgive me for i know not what i do. The guy is an unprove WR. In my personal opinion i would never draft a WR that has only been a full time starter for 1 season and in that 1 season has 41 receptions for 703 yards and 9 Tds. Yeah i know the system he plays in also accounts for his production but he isnt a polished player and if a player that plays the position of WR needs to be taught how to run proper routes (he needs to) and needs to learn to focus on every play then hes a Project and a Project is at the most a 5th round pick.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 05:36 PM

Coop was sort of down on the food chain there because of Harvin, Murphy and all but he's shown in big games (SEC title game 08) that he can be a good possession receiver. I think he'll show well at the combine, when you're that size at that speed you start to get the buzz like Matt Jones did. Not predicting that sort of draft position but Riley could make a heck of a 3rd receiver in some offense, you arent covering him with a safety or you're number 3 corner. Aint happening.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:43 PM
Coop was sort of down on the food chain there because of Harvin, Murphy and all but he's shown in big games (SEC title game 08) that he can be a good possession receiver. I think he'll show well at the combine, when you're that size at that speed you start to get the buzz like Matt Jones did. Not predicting that sort of draft position but Riley could make a heck of a 3rd receiver in some offense, you arent covering him with a safety or you're number 3 corner. Aint happening.

Yeah it took Jones what 4 seasons to make an impact. Then he was released and is now out of the league. Jones was 6'6" and ran a 4.37. He also never played WR in college and went out and impressed in the WR drills so he was viewed as a Project with huge upside.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 05:50 PM
Yeah it took Jones what 4 seasons to make an impact. Then he was released and is now out of the league. Jones was 6'6" and ran a 4.37. He also never played WR in college and went out and impressed in the WR drills so he was viewed as a Project with huge upside.

We're talking getting drafted and where. Jones got drafted where he did for the simple reason he wowed everyone at the combine. In hindsight it was a bad move but one the guy deserves another chance and two when he was playing people had trouble covering him.

Cooper has more game experience at the position and we'll see how he does at the combine. Riley Cooper is an athlete, we'll see if he's as good a receiver.

P-L
11-30-2009, 06:17 PM
I've been really impressed with Cooper this season. If he assured me that he was committed to football, I'd gamble on him in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
I've been really impressed with Cooper this season. If he assured me that he was committed to football, I'd gamble on him in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

He should be committed to football because from what i've heard he isnt a very good baseball player (MLB level). A lot of these guys star as baseball players in highschool then think they can just make the leap. Very few Kirk Gibsons or Dave Winfields out there.

nhlkdog411
11-30-2009, 06:36 PM
We're talking getting drafted and where. Jones got drafted where he did for the simple reason he wowed everyone at the combine. In hindsight it was a bad move but one the guy deserves another chance and two when he was playing people had trouble covering him.

Cooper has more game experience at the position and we'll see how he does at the combine. Riley Cooper is an athlete, we'll see if he's as good a receiver.

Speaking of matt jones, where the hell is he? The guy had 65 catches for like 760+ yards in only 12 games last year and its not like the Jag's recievers are tearing it up this year...how has no one picked him up?

Babylon
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Speaking of matt jones, where the hell is he? The guy had 65 catches for like 760+ yards in only 12 games last year and its not like the Jag's recievers are tearing it up this year...how has no one picked him up?

When you find out let me know. I believe the Jags cut him loose. He screwed up but it's common in this country that people get a second chance. There are guys in the NFL with longer rap sheets than Jones. Surprised Tony Dungy hasnt got involved.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 06:50 PM

He had a tryout with the Titans and supposedly impressed them but then they didnt sign him. Then he had a tryout with the Bucs who opted to sign Yamon Figurs over him. So in short hes done. When a team signs Yamon Figurs over you then you know its over.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
He had a tryout with the Titans and supposedly impressed them but then they didnt sign him. Then he had a tryout with the Bucs who opted to sign Yamon Figurs over him. So in short hes done. When a team signs Yamon Figurs over you then you know its over.

isn't he facing a suspension as soon as he signs? Word is he's been impressive in all the workouts he's had for teams this season.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
isn't he facing a suspension as soon as he signs? Word is he's been impressive in all the workouts he's had for teams this season.

I thought he already served the suspension last year. There's probably about 150 wide receivers around the league, something tells me there arent 150 better than him.

He just may be a nut job and that might come out when he has dealings with these teams.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
I thought he already served the suspension last year. There's probably about 150 wide receivers around the league, something tells me there arent 150 better than him.

He just may be a nut job and that might come out when he has dealings with these teams.

Didn't he get arrested again this offseason for testing positive for alcohol? I thought thats why he was released.

Edit - google search, yep, he was arrested in March; http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965961

Babylon
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM
Didn't he get arrested again this offseason for testing positive for alcohol? I thought thats why he was released.

Edit - google search, yep, he was arrested in March; http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3965961

Not too bright but there's worse than him playing pro sports out there.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 07:02 PM

Yeah he violated his probation for drinking beer while golfing. The Jags then released him and the NFL announced that he would not be suspended for the violation.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Good God i didn't know my opinion was going to anger you so. Please All Mighty Pudge forgive me for i know not what i do. The guy is an unprove WR. In my personal opinion i would never draft a WR that has only been a full time starter for 1 season and in that 1 season has 41 receptions for 703 yards and 9 Tds. Yeah i know the system he plays in also accounts for his production but he isnt a polished player and if a player that plays the position of WR needs to be taught how to run proper routes (he needs to) and needs to learn to focus on every play then hes a Project and a Project is at the most a 5th round pick.

Not angry at all, this is all discussion and I acknowledge that. You think a project WR is at most a 5th Round pick, and I could rattle off names of 3rd Round project receivers (last year Derrick Williams, Brandon Tate, Mike Wallace) - (2007 Laurent Robinson, Paul Williams, Jacoby Jones) and then you have Matt Jones, with 0 experience at WR, a first round pick in 2005. Just because a WR isn't complete doesn't mean he can't go in the first four rounds.

I know you personally wouldn't take Cooper before Round 5, and that's fine. I wouldn't take Tim Tebow in the first round and a half or so, but I think he will likely end up there. Where you would draft him doesn't exactly say anything about where he'll be drafted and what I'm saying is he could be as high as a 2nd/3rd Round pick in April, and you're saying he's a 5th Rounder at best.

murdamal86
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Besides some drops, Coop had another good outing this past weekend

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I like Cooper, I'd say he goes in the 4th-5th.

dex
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Problem with Cooper is is route running. This is one area where he needs improvement.

He has good speed, he's a great blocker and a very hard worker. If he decides to go to the NFL he will have a bright future.

GatorsBullsFan
12-07-2009, 01:34 PM
Riley would have to work on his hands...he drops way too much passes. Sometimes it seems like he drops a lot of the easy ones and catches the hard ones.

Plus were really going to have to see whether he decides to go back to Baseball or continue with Football.

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Riley would have to work on his hands...he drops way too much passes. Sometimes it seems like he drops a lot of the easy ones and catches the hard ones.

Plus were really going to have to see whether he decides to go back to Baseball or continue with Football.
Yeah, I hope he doesn't go Samardzija here.

Babylon
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM
At least Smardzija could pitch a little, (he may not be done with football either) from what i hear Cooper isnt that good at baseball.

As for those that question Coops hands i think it's harder to catch a wounded duck as opposed to a tight spiral.

The Linebacker
12-08-2009, 02:22 AM
Wow, just wow. Do some research people. Cooper signed a MLB contract with a stipulation allowing him to play his senior year of football at UF.

Matt Jones on the other hand had no quickness, no work ethic and no reliability. He was arrested for cocaine use. The Jags gave him a second chance and he screwed up again. He knew that that sort of behavior was not going to be tolerated with the new Jags regime, yet he still messed up.

Seriously, do some research. The Jaguars receivers have played very well this year, with 4 rookies no less. Ever heard of Mike Sims-Walker or Torry Holt?

descendency
12-08-2009, 02:35 AM
with 4 rookies no less. Ever heard of Mike Sims-Walker or Torry Holt?

Please tell me you didn't just call Torry Holt a rookie or an unheard of player? Please... especially after ranting about doing research...

descendency
12-08-2009, 02:43 AM
As for those that question Coops hands i think it's harder to catch a wounded duck as opposed to a tight spiral.

Yes, don't forget his QB is Tim Tebow, the guy who is at best an extremely raw prospect.

RealityCheck
12-08-2009, 08:53 AM
At least Smardzija could pitch a little, (he may not be done with football either) from what i hear Cooper isnt that good at baseball.

I'm pretty sure Samardzija just had his first MLB start.
And Cooper is an outfielder, I guess. Don't know about his skills, though.

Babylon
12-08-2009, 10:54 AM
Wow, just wow. Do some research people. Cooper signed a MLB contract with a stipulation allowing him to play his senior year of football at UF.

Matt Jones on the other hand had no quickness, no work ethic and no reliability. He was arrested for cocaine use. The Jags gave him a second chance and he screwed up again. He knew that that sort of behavior was not going to be tolerated with the new Jags regime, yet he still messed up.

Seriously, do some research. The Jaguars receivers have played very well this year, with 4 rookies no less. Ever heard of Mike Sims-Walker or Torry Holt?

Baseball contracts mean nothing when talking a differant sport. Locker just signed one back in the summer with the Angels and besides some PR he'll most likely never play there. Cooper would be wise to stick with football either for a fulltime job or for something to fall back on because everything i read (research) he isnt very good with the little ball.

Rosebud
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I wonder if the op knows why they have prospects run the shuttle or cone drills. I've only ever seen him talk about size and 40 times to prove that white prospects are being discriminated against.

The Linebacker
12-08-2009, 01:34 PM
Please tell me you didn't just call Torry Holt a rookie or an unheard of player? Please... especially after ranting about doing research...

*sigh* Of course not. I was responding to a misinformed post about the Jaguars. Use some common sense.

Also, a contract is a contract. He can get drafted and a team can have his rights, but if he has a duty to perform with a MLB team, he would be generally held to that contract. I'd have to see the language of it to verify. Maybe they just signed his rights.

Regardless, even if he stays in the MLB (if you are right about his baseball talent), he could easily be mired in the minors for a long time.

descendency
12-08-2009, 01:47 PM
Regardless, even if he stays in the MLB (if you are right about his baseball talent), he could easily be mired in the minors for a long time.

I read somewhere that the MLB has the highest bust rate of any sport. I can't remember where though. Mainly because of just that. Players get into the minors and never advance.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-08-2009, 02:00 PM
*sigh* Of course not. I was responding to a misinformed post about the Jaguars. Use some common sense.

Also, a contract is a contract. He can get drafted and a team can have his rights, but if he has a duty to perform with a MLB team, he would be generally held to that contract. I'd have to see the language of it to verify. Maybe they just signed his rights.

That doesnt make sense, so Im going to keep thinking that you dont know who Torry Holt is.

Babylon
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I read somewhere that the MLB has the highest bust rate of any sport. I can't remember where though. Mainly because of just that. Players get into the minors and never advance.

Of players drafted it most certainly has the biggest bust rate. Remember too that there is like 40 rounds to the MLB draft.

A lot of these guys get signing bonuses from MLB teams (Jake Locker) and there is no obligation to pay it back if they dont sign some sort of minor league contract.

My guess is if Cooper gets a chance at the combine and gets what realistically is a 3rd-4th round grade he'll say adios to baseball.

descendency
12-08-2009, 02:03 PM
That doesnt make sense, so Im going to keep thinking that you dont know who Torry Holt is.

Either you are being sarcastic or you are not following. The first paragraph is a response to me being a bit asinine about the way he worded his sentence. The second and third paragraphs are about Riley Cooper.

JhawkFitness
12-08-2009, 02:04 PM

Baseball EASILY has the highest rate of 1st round "busts". Aside from being exposed in the minors by better competition something you'll see is, due to politics (i.e we have to prove that our scouting dept is doing their job) a lot of picks are shuttled through the system and into the majors only to fall on their faces and never recover. Wikipedia has a blurb stating that only 13 out of 53 1st round picks from the 1997 draft had played in 100 MLB games or more by 2009 (the MLB season has 162).

Not to mention it is much much easier to return to baseball, hell, my former affiliate played against former Indiana WR Andrew Means this past season after he failed to get selected during the 2009 NFL Draft. He just called up his baseball scout and said "I'll sign".