PDA

View Full Version : Packers-49ers, Week 11

jackalope
11-18-2009, 09:28 PM
I'll be going to the game this weekend (1-2 record while attending). Coming off a good win vs Dallas, it's a game we definitely should win if we're going to make the playoffs. Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers storyline. Finley should be back.

cvv84
11-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Should be a good game. I expect the Packers to win but it won't be easy. The 49ers have built a pretty good front 7 but they're starting some young and inexperienced CBs. We should shut down Alex Smith but you never know. Crabtree might have a big game but I don't expect Vernon Davis too.

Packers 24
49ers 16

Whistler6
11-18-2009, 11:48 PM
The 49ers do not have a good offense. And for the first time in a while, I am confident in saying Green Bay has a good run defense. If they can contain Gore and keep VD (not venereal disease) in check, they should pull this one out at HOME.

Hopefully they build off of last week and get some consistency going...fewer penalties, less sacks, the same O-line rotation, etc.

Favre4ever
11-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Game plan is simple; load the box, stop the run and make Alex Smith beat you.

drowe
11-19-2009, 01:51 PM
This is the kind of game we HAVE TO win if we're gonna talk about the Playoffs. Anything less than 7-4 a week from now and it's over.

TitleTown088
11-19-2009, 07:23 PM
This is the kind of game we HAVE TO win if we're gonna talk about the Playoffs. Anything less than 7-4 a week from now and it's over.

This game would be a real nice win, but I don't think the season is over if the Packers lose.

umphrey
11-20-2009, 12:12 AM
I think we should win this game but we have to do it with defense. That means covering VD, Crabs and Josh Morgan. Too bad we only have 1 Charles Woodson, at least we have Alex Smith on our side.

Whistler6
11-21-2009, 09:03 AM
This game is season-defining. It will tell all us 1 of 2 things. Either the loss against Tampa was a fluke, or the beat down of Dallas was a fluke. With a win tomorrow, and at 6-4, they are in the middle of the playoff race.

Too soon to look down the road yeah. But I definitely don't think it's too soon to say if they lose...They might as well kiss the playoffs goodbye.

TitleTown088
11-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Wells and his back up deitrich-smith are both listed as Questionable... Could technically be starting a 4th string center.

jackalope
11-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Wells and his back up deitrich-smith are both listed as Questionable... Could technically be starting a 4th string center.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wells is expected to start.

http://packers.com/news/stories/2009/11/20/4/

TitleTown088
11-21-2009, 01:59 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. Wells is expected to start.

http://packers.com/news/stories/2009/11/20/4/
Good news, but you still gotta be cautious about concussions. We're still short on the Oline... Time to think about having ol' Havner make a start on the Oline?

umphrey
11-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Maybe my opinion is bleak, but in this situation you might see either Wells or D-S active or playing on a day that they shouldn't be...but the franchise's options are very limited. To be honest though the Packers seem to be pretty good about putting health over winning, relatively speaking.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 12:11 PM
They do. They didn't rush Kampman back, even though they didn't need to. Still as weak as they are at O-line, you gotta hope they aren't putting hurt players out there when they aren't quite ready to do. Players have more say than they should though...

Did I see that right? Green Bay outscores opponents 61-28 in the 1st quarter. It seems like the Packers always go 3 and out in the early going. Solid first drive though.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 12:29 PM
No Nate Clemens, Takeo Spikes, or Joe Staley for the 49ers. That should change the game big time.

Mr.Regular
11-22-2009, 12:32 PM
wow redzone offense, wtf. punch it in.

umphrey
11-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I like seeing us moving the ball and protecting ARodg though. I thought we were going to have to win this game with defense anyway, so with the offense rolling we could take control early.

umphrey
11-22-2009, 12:48 PM
Grant is running well today. He's getting more blocks but I'm seeing some wiggle, some positive moves from him when I was starting to think he sucked in that area. Hopefully he is just a 2nd half of the season player and like the last 2 years will finish looking like that workhorse back that we see some days and not others.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 01:07 PM
FINALLY Jennings breaks loose! Thats why we need to get the ball in his hands and let his shiftyness take over.

Raji with his 1st career sack and Matthews looking pretty damn good again. Packers with 3 sacks already.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Jordy isn't flashy but with his size he's just abusing CBs and getting another 5-7 yard per catch. Its 20-3 and we're clicking on all phases today.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 01:34 PM
I think Mason Crosby is planning a thank you note to MM for not trotting him out there to boot 50 yard fg's today. He's thinking heyyy these 30 yarders are kinda nice.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Stopped bringing the blitz and Crabtree gets his 1st career TD. Grant running great this game, just keep feeding him the ball. 12 carries for 84 yards so far.

umphrey
11-22-2009, 02:29 PM
This is the most I've seen Brandon Jackson contribute to the team ever. He's had better stats and been a more focal point of the game plan before, but this is the most I've seen him actually help us in a real competitive game situation.

I wrote him off as a bust long, long ago. Not a complete bust, but have been really questioning whether he's worth a roster spot.

Boston
11-22-2009, 02:31 PM
I've seen Donald Lee drop more passes this year than I've seen him catch...

umphrey
11-22-2009, 02:46 PM
Al Harris and Aaron Kampman both got hurt this game. 2 years ago that would have been absolutely devastating, but honestly, I don't know if them missing time is gonna hurt the team at all.

This isn't the green/gold goggles talking: Jermichael Finley will be talked about as a top echelon TE as soon as he has a "track record" and is consistent and healthy.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Man we're getting beat badly in the seams today...

Boston
11-22-2009, 02:48 PM
I have no idea why Jarrett Bush is anywhere near Davis when it comes to coverage...or the field in general.

umphrey
11-22-2009, 03:17 PM
Another win closer to the playoffs. I think Quinn Johnson might be on his way (maybe already there) to our best lead blocker.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 03:41 PM
Another win closer to the playoffs. I think Quinn Johnson might be on his way (maybe already there) to our best lead blocker.

Korey Hall had some nice blocks today as well.

Closer game than I expected. The pressure wasn't as fierce on Smith in the 2nd half and we got beat badly in the middle today. I think we need to find a new SS to replace Bigby/Bush/Martin. I'd like to see more of Underwood and he might get that chance now that Al Harris went down with what looked like a pretty serious injury. If Kampman comes back too we need to reduce his role to nickel situations. Again he got a sack out with his hand on the ground today.

Also nice to see Grant and Jennings break loose today. Those 2 guys will be key if the Packers are to make a push for the playoffs.

TitleTown088
11-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Sounds like Harris will miss a lot of time if not the rest of the season. Kampman's injury doesn't sound well initially either. That blows.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I'll be going to the game this weekend (1-2 record while attending). Coming off a good win vs Dallas, it's a game we definitely should win if we're going to make the playoffs. Alex Smith vs Aaron Rodgers storyline. Finley should be back.

Back to .500 eh? Going to Lambeau is a win-win situation regardless of the outcome, but coming away with a victory just makes the 2 hours of being stuck in parking that much more tolerable. Hah.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
I have no idea why Jarrett Bush is anywhere near Davis when it comes to coverage...or the field in general.

Did you notice how Vernon Davis was silent while Woodson was stuck to his hip? As soon as Jarret Bush or a LBer showed up on him, he became a mismatch and made plays.

Jarrett Bush could make 10 INTS in the last 6 games this year and I will still be adament that he does not deserve to be on an NFL roster.
As soon as Harris went down, Green Bay's lack of DB depth really showed. Underwood, Bush, etc...did not play well late.

tjsunstein
11-22-2009, 05:53 PM
Did you notice how Vernon Davis was silent while Woodson was stuck to his hip? As soon as Jarret Bush or a LBer showed up on him, he became a mismatch and made plays.

Jarrett Bush could make 10 INTS in the last 6 games this year and I will still be adament that he does not deserve to be on an NFL roster.
As soon as Harris went down, Green Bay's lack of DB depth really showed. Underwood, Bush, etc...did not play well late.

We can mask the lack of depth with blitzes on Thursday but it's going to show in two weeks if Flacco continues to throw 35-40 times a game even though his primary target has been Mason and we have Woodson to stick him. I expect the Ravens to try to beat us with the run. Losing Kampman for that game wouldn't be good.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 06:03 PM
We can mask the lack of depth with blitzes on Thursday but it's going to show in two weeks if Flacco continues to throw 35-40 times a game even though his primary target has been Mason and we have Woodson to stick him. I expect the Ravens to try to beat us with the run. Losing Kampman for that game wouldn't be good.

Can we? Mathew Stafford lit up the sky today with 5 TDs? ...Shouldn't be an issue, but you never know.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
Al Harris and Aaron Kampman tore ACLs, done for the season.

Boston
11-22-2009, 06:47 PM
Al Harris and Aaron Kampman tore ACLs, done for the season.

http://files.sharenator.com/car_fail_Fail-s461x404-10293-580.jpg

Wow, that sucks, but it's not going to kill us. Losing Harris hurts more than losing Kampman though, which last year would have sounded ridiculous.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Two veteran, stable, pro-bowl caliber players lost. Losing their knowledge and leadership will hurt more than anything. Brad Jones and other younger players may be more athletic, but their inexperience will give up extra big plays.

Really, really unfortunate...Mainly because they are good guys who have done everything right on and off the field (from what we see).

cvv84
11-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Two veteran, stable, pro-bowl caliber players lost. Losing their knowledge and leadership will hurt more than anything. Brad Jones and other younger players may be more athletic, but their inexperience will give up extra big plays.

Really, really unfortunate...Mainly because they are good guys who have done everything right on and off the field (from what we see).

On the bright side Trammon has some startng experience and we'll get a good look at if he's worthy of getting a contract extention. Brad Jones looked good against the Cowboys too and lets be realistic, what were the chances of Kampman returning next season anyways? Even a 35 year old Al Harris would've been iffy. So at least we'll get a 6 game assesment of our future needs.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 09:48 PM
On the bright side Trammon has some startng experience and we'll get a good look at if he's worthy of getting a contract extention. Brad Jones looked good against the Cowboys too and lets be realistic, what were the chances of Kampman returning next season anyways? Even a 35 year old Al Harris would've been iffy. So at least we'll get a 6 game assesment of our future needs.

Yeah I don't really give a **** about next year right now. Al Harris and Kampman are 2 stand up guys who I have grown to love over the past few years...I see no bight side on their injuries.

I like the optimism though.

Whistler6
11-22-2009, 09:49 PM
And you think someone is going to give up a valued draft pick or something else for a player coming off of a torn ACL? Tough call now.

Wait, Kampman's contract is up after the season? I didn't realize that.

cvv84
11-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Yeah I don't really give a **** about next year right now. Al Harris and Kampman are 2 stand up guys who I have grown to love over the past few years...I see no bight side on their injuries.

I like the optimism though.

I like both of them too but lets be realistic, Kampman hasn't exactally been tearing it up at OLB. With Jones we have a guy who fits the system and will help free up blockers on our best pass rusher Clay Matthews. Harris is a big loss but he's 34 years old. He was bound to break down at some point. Trammon is a capable guy. It sucks but its the NFL and injuries happen every year. Good teams find a way to win and we just had 2 big wins after a stunning loss.

TitleTown088
11-22-2009, 11:34 PM
Wait, Kampman's contract is up after the season? I didn't realize that. How did you just just realize that? It's been beaten like a dead horse by the media and others.

umphrey
11-23-2009, 12:15 AM
Al Harris's injury hurts just because the depth gets thinner, I don't mind seeing him on the bench at this point. I hope Brandon Underwood can step up. He has the body of a pro bowl corner but he clearly needs some coaching. I hope he learns what he needs to fast.

Losing Kampman sucks because he would have been great to have around on 4 man nickel fronts or any time we could have put him on the line and let him attack the QB, but I'm glad Brad Jones is the starting base OLB. It sucks too because he looked like crap til he got hurt and proved to every other team he can't play OLB, so to try to trade him we'd have to use the tag then try to find someone to give up decent compensation for an older player a year removed from the position you are highering him to play coming off his first major injury, that will likely hinder him (if he plays at all) during training camp. Two years ago I didn't think his value could drop this far this fast, but the pro bowler and former NFC sacks will probably walk as a free agent.

Hopefully we get a decent compensation pick from the FA contract he signs.

Whistler6
11-23-2009, 02:17 PM
How did you just just realize that? It's been beaten like a dead horse by the media and others.

I guess I just forgot and thought that if there was doubt he could be a long-term 3-4 LBer than they would have traded him rather than lose him completely after the season. Either way, it's a shame he went down.

Whistler6
11-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Expect teams with anything resembling a decent passing attack to really try to spread Green Bay out and get them in nickel packages.

Bush and Underwood are matchups any team would like to see and even Tramon Williams is susceptible to a blown play. Harris could be penciled in for a hands to the face penalty basically every game, but his coverage will be reallllllly missed.