PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo signs Brian Brohm away from Green Bay

RochesterRox19
11-19-2009, 03:30 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/bills-bring-in-brian-brohm/

This is interesting to me.

Just one year ago, he was considered by Scott as the #2 QB in the entire draft. I felt the same way. Then he was picked up by Green Bay, who had ZERO need for a QB, and struggled in his rookie camp and preseason.

Then there was the strange placement of him on their practice squad. Apparently, Green Bay offered him an active roster spot and matched Buffalo's offer when they heard of the Bills interest.

In the end, he chose to leave the Packers for the Bills.

Interesting.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 03:32 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/19/bills-bring-in-brian-brohm/

This is interesting to me.

Just one year ago, he was considered by Scott as the #2 QB in the entire draft. I felt the same way. Then he was picked up by Green Bay, who had ZERO need for a QB, and struggled in his rookie camp and preseason.

Then there was the strange placement of him on their practice squad. Apparently, Green Bay offered him an active roster spot and matched Buffalo's offer when they heard of the Bills interest.

In the end, he chose to leave the Packers for the Bills.

Interesting.

Obviously the Pack is committed to Rodgers, he'd have to be nuts to turn down Buffalo. Good pickup considering it costs them nothing.

Splat
11-19-2009, 03:38 PM
To be fair Rodgers had not broke out at the time they drafted BB so saying they had zero need for a QB is a little much.

MetSox17
11-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah, that was the off-season right before Rodgers was officially the GB starter. What a waste of a second round pick though.

Splat
11-19-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that was the off-season right before Rodgers was officially the GB starter. What a waste of a second round pick though.

Easy to say that now but at the time I think it was a smart move on paper.

SuperKevin
11-19-2009, 03:44 PM
I like the pickup for Buffalo. Now I just wish we had a QB coach that could develop a quarterback :(

MetSox17
11-19-2009, 03:46 PM

Not really. That pick caught everyone by surprise. They had invested a first round pick already in Rodgers a few years earlier, and they drafted another QB very high in the draft before even giving the previous one a chance.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM

Why, they had Rodgers and spent some time with zero veteran QBs, and now he is gone.

SuperKevin
11-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Not really. That pick caught everyone by surprise. They had invested a first round pick already in Rodgers a few years earlier, and they drafted another QB very high in the draft before even giving the previous one a chance.

Then how come everyone seems so keen on the idea of Cleveland drafting a QB in the 1st round this year?

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Then how come everyone seems so keen on the idea of Cleveland drafting a QB in the 1st round this year?

I personally am not, but the people who are have decided Quinn is teh ***. The pick only makes sense if the organization considers the former 1st round teh ***.

Splat
11-19-2009, 03:50 PM
They had no real idea what they had in AR they were high on him but I don't see what is wrong with having a plan B its not like he was making top five money.

Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Did people ***** this much in the 90s when Ron Wolf drafted or signed Ty Detmer, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, or Aaron Brooks despite having Favre?

PackerLegend
11-19-2009, 04:01 PM
The Bills can have him and good luck! He is awful, plain old just sucks. Didnt like drafting him at all even if he turned out decent, and now we wasted a 2nd.

tjsunstein
11-19-2009, 04:02 PM
Best of luck to Brohm.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
Did people ***** this much in the 90s when Ron Wolf drafted or signed Ty Detmer, Kurt Warner, Mark Brunell, Matt Hasselbeck, or Aaron Brooks despite having Favre?

2nd rounders are valuable mayne...people are just commenting.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 04:04 PM
How many of those were taken in the 2nd round?

None? Oh..

Mr.Regular
11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
The pick wasn't awful at the time... Remember he had great value at where he was picked, and the team had only one QB on the roster at the time...with 0 starts in his lifetime...and at the time he was perceived to be injury prone..... so yeah QB in that draft was a need.
2nd round need? probably not, but I guess the value fit.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
I don't buy the "he had great value" argument.

If he had great value, why didn't someone else take him sooner? Someone brought up Scott's board. I would hope and pray that every NFL front office, whch are staffed by dozens of people, has a better grasp on draft value than someone who doesn't work in the league.

It was a bad pick with bad value. It's ok to be wrong sometimes and just admit it.

Splat
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
The pick wasn't awful at the time... Remember he had great value at where he was picked, and the team had only one QB on the roster at the time...with 0 starts in his lifetime...and at the time he was perceived to be injury prone..... so yeah QB in that draft was a need.
2nd round need? probably not, but I guess the value fit.

This.

I don't think GB went in to the draft thinking they were going to take a QB in the 2nd round but when BB was sitting there who some had as first round talent they pulled the trigger.

MetSox17
11-19-2009, 04:18 PM

Because Brady Quinn sucks balls? Rodgers had a few snaps in blowouts, and that one game in Dallas where Favre got hurt (and he played really well) to show what he had. While Quinn hasn't exactly been given the best opportunity to excel in, he doesn't really look like an NFL quarterback. Not nearly as similar a situation as the Green Bay one.

jackalope
11-19-2009, 04:23 PM
There are very few moves by Thompson that I've really thought were bad moves at the time, but I hated the Brohm pick immediately. Not because of Brohm himself, but because spending a second round pick on a guy to be a backup QB/insurance policy isn't worth it. Best case scenario for us was we end up trading him in a few years for barely more than we spent to draft him. Buffalo signing him doesn't really make much of a difference, because if we'd gotten to the point that we need to use him, we'd have been much better off bringing in a veteran anyway.

Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
How many of those were taken in the 2nd round?

None? Oh..

Did I say they were picked in the 2nd round??

Having more than one solid quarterback is a good problem to have. I remember that some people were upset that we picked Rodgers, and look at him now. He was great value at the time, as was Brohm. Thompson has been steadfast on picking BPA.

Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:29 PM

If he had great value, why didn't someone else take him sooner? Someone brought up Scott's board. I would hope and pray that every NFL front office, whch are staffed by dozens of people, has a better grasp on draft value than someone who doesn't work in the league.

It was a bad pick with bad value. It's ok to be wrong sometimes and just admit it.

Because there are always the Flaccos and Freemans that shoot up the board in the recent months coming up to the draft and potential always outshines production.

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:30 PM

Having more than one solid quarterback is a good problem to have. I remember that some people were upset that we picked Rodgers, and look at him now. He was great value at the time, as was Brohm. Thompson has been steadfast on picking BPA.

You can only play one quarterback at a time, that's why it makes no sense. Spending a 2nd round pick on someone who will probably never be your starter isn't a good move.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 04:31 PM
Because there are always the Flaccos and Freemans that shoot up the board in the recent months coming up to the draft and potential always outshines production.
So you're saying that you still think Brohm is a good quarterback? There is a reason college production doesn't mean that much when it comes to the draft, it doesn't predict anything.

To answer your other post, the reason why someone like Hassleback was a good pick was that they took a 6th round pick and turned it into something better. The Packers, as someone else pointed out, were never going to get a a better pick in return for Brohm than the one they spent to get him. As it turns out, they got absolutely nothing.

Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:34 PM
You can only play one quarterback at a time, that's why it makes no sense. Spending a 2nd round pick on someone who will probably never be your starter isn't a good move.

How did they know he wasn't going to be their starter? Rodgers had earned the reputation for being fragile after being injured in the only two previous games he received PT. Brohm didn't pan out as expected, but it was an insurance plan for a team that was trying to make a SB run.

NOLAFan
11-19-2009, 04:36 PM
The guy couldn't beat out Matt Flynn for the backup job... I mean that has to say something about this guy.

Maybe Buffalo can do something with him idk.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
How did they know he wasn't going to be their starter? Rodgers had earned the reputation for being fragile after being injured in the only two previous games he received PT. Brohm didn't pan out as expected, but it was an insurance plan for a team that was trying to make a SB run.
So they were wrong:

-in their evaluation of Rodgers.

-in their evaluation of Brohm.

-in the overall evaluation of their team.

But this isn't a bad pick?

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
Meanwhile does anyone want Charlie Whitehurst...I can get him cut for you for some sweet potato fries or something.

brat316
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Is Brohm gonna start the next game?

tjsunstein
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Meanwhile does anyone want Charlie Whitehurst...I can get him cut for you for some sweet potato fries or something.

Um, no. I will enjoy my sweet potato fries. Thanks, though.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Um, no. I will enjoy my sweet potato fries. Thanks, though.

Come on man...Charlie's hair is awesome, and I could really ******* use those fries.

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Is Brohm gonna start the next game?

He's their third quarterback.

tjsunstein
11-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Come on man...Charlie's hair is awesome, and I could really ******* use those fries.

I'll give you half. It's the best I can do. They're delicious.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to make some sweet potato fries right now.
(Move post to Food Thread)

Hawk
11-19-2009, 04:57 PM
So they were wrong:

-in their evaluation of Rodgers.

-in their evaluation of Brohm.

-in the overall evaluation of their team.

But this isn't a bad pick?

Ok SWDCstrodamus, why don't you enlighten us more on some of your knowledge?

You knew that Rodgers wasn't injury prone? And Brohm was a bust? And the Packers weren't SB contenders despite being one play away from it in 2007?

Why don't you work for a team?

/sarcasm

Please, I can't come in here and say my opinion without you coming in all high and mighty? Everyone knows your older and have 4948594 more posts. Am I saying Brohm is good now? Absolutely not. I'm just saying I understand why they picked him at that spot. He was BPA in the eyes of the GM. He probably wasn't the BPA on my board, but he was up there.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Ok SWDCstrodamus, why don't you enlighten us more on some of your knowledge?

You knew that Rodgers wasn't injury prone? And Brohm was a bust? And the Packers weren't SB contenders despite being one play away from it in 2007?

Why don't you work for a team?

/sarcasm

Please, I can't come in here and say my opinion without you coming in all high and mighty? Everyone knows your older and have 4948594 more posts. Am I saying Brohm is good now? Absolutely not. I'm just saying I understand why they picked him at that spot. He was BPA in the eyes of the GM. He probably wasn't the BPA on my board, but he was up there.
I don't work in the NFL, but I do expect those that work in the NFL to make good decisions, since that is there job.

Also, that's not all you were saying. You started off by being a smart ass and acting like you knew more than everyone else. You didn't subsequently like the direction of the conversation so you tried to make it personal (rather lamely I might add. Ooooh...I have lots of posts, I get it!)

As the great Dusty Rhodes would say, "You need to look at yo' self in da' mirror!!"

http://www.ugo.com/games/legends-of-wrestlemania/images/dusty-rhodes.jpg

SuperKevin
11-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Wow. Lot of buzz for a 3rd string QB signed off of a practice squad

vidae
11-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I personally like the signing. Honestly, what Bills fan is still a believer in Trent Edwards? I don't think there are many of those around anymore. Brohm is at least something to get (a little) excited about.

MidwayMonster31
11-19-2009, 05:18 PM
Good signing for Buffalo. They can just throw **** against the wall, and see if it sticks.
I don't what the hell happened with Brohm. He seemed like a good fit for Green Bay's offense, but he dropped for a reason. I don't know what that reason is, but it's there.
At the time, I didn't like the pick since Rodgers didn't have a single start in the NFL. If injury was a problem, why couldn't they trade for or sign a vet. They didn't have to spend a second round pick at the time. That pick said that they didn't want to win in 2008, after making the NFC Championship game the year before. That pick also said that they didn't have any faith in Rodgers.

Matthew Jones
11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
The worst part of this whole thing is that the Punjabi Passer is now out of a job. White man always holding the red man down. But seriously, not a bad pickup for the Bills. I think Brohm could be a serviceable backup. It's not like they have much at QB anyways.

LonghornsLegend
11-19-2009, 07:16 PM

You act like the only way you guys could get a 2nd solid QB is spending a 2nd rounder, sorry but that was a bad pick before and after the fact. If you want to go that route sign a veteran QB in FA that is solid, it made zero sense to draft Rodgers in the 1st, sit him for all that time, then as soon as he gets a chance to start take someone in the 2nd round.

Didn't you guys end up with Flynn later that draft too? Maybe I'm getting the names confused, but he ended up beating out Brohm anyway. It was really pointless to take another QB in the 2nd just as a "back up". Sorry, but you don't just spend 2nd round picks on "insurance policies" as you called it, that makes it sound even worse then it already does.

I like it for Buffalo, he hasn't done very much but at least he's competition for a team who needs a QB.

TitleTown088
11-19-2009, 07:21 PM
The guy couldn't beat out Matt Flynn for the backup job... I mean that has to say something about this guy.

Maybe Buffalo can do something with him idk.

Or it says something about Flynn. Flynn is has looked like a real solid backup this season.

Brohm sucks. Plain and simple.He looks like a highschool QB trying to play out there. He's not going to amount to anything.

And BF51 is right it was a waste of a 2nd rounder, but at leased we didn't watse two first rounders on a crap QB. ;)

Brodeur
11-19-2009, 07:26 PM
He's their third quarterback.

What about Hamdan? This is ********, Hamdan deserves playing time.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-19-2009, 07:33 PM
http://www.xflboard.com/photos/mdg/bryan-eggars-xfl-football-com/tommy-maddox.jpg

This guy was drafted by Denver when Elway was only 32. In the FIRST round, no less.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 07:39 PM
And BF51 is right it was a waste of a 2nd rounder, but at leased we didn't watse two first rounders on a crap QB. ;)
Even Joshua the Teacher of Righteousness had his early struggles.

I have no doubt that Cutler will take his eventual place at the right hand of the father (Coach Ditka), judging the living and the dead.

11-19-2009, 07:42 PM

I have no doubt that Cutler will take his eventual place at the right hand of the father (Coach Ditka), judging the living and the dead.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/object/1781/43/n2225178837_38448.jpg

TitleTown088
11-19-2009, 08:02 PM

What kind of chosen one can't drink regular coke?

11-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Jesus never drank Coke in his life. So there ya go.

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 08:10 PM
Orton is naturally Satan, which is why he likes Jack with his coke.

TitleTown088
11-19-2009, 08:12 PM
Jesus never drank Coke in his life. So there ya go.

Jesus was crucified a couple years before Coke was around though.

11-19-2009, 08:17 PM
Jesus was crucified a couple years before Coke was around though.

If he thought Coke was so great, he'd have told his disciples how to make it.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Brohn completely stunk in the pre season and when he was cut, any of 31 other teams could have claimed him, they didn't, for good reason.
Buffalo is just desperate with their fan base getting ready to desert the team, so they fired their HC because you cannot get rid of a bad owner. Buffalo has been absolutely terrible since the FA era began, with Wilson refusing to put up enough resources to produce a winner. Brohn isn't the answer either but at least the fans may buy another ticket or 2 to find out.

Bills2083
11-19-2009, 09:06 PM
Brohn completely stunk in the pre season and when he was cut, any of 31 other teams could have claimed him, they didn't, for good reason.
Buffalo is just desperate with their fan base getting ready to desert the team, so they fired their HC because you cannot get rid of a bad owner. Buffalo has been absolutely terrible since the FA era began, with Wilson refusing to put up enough resources to produce a winner. Brohn isn't the answer either but at least the fans may buy another ticket or 2 to find out.

I certainly hope that this signing does not convince fans to buy tickets.
If people do indeed buy ticket because of this, I have overestimated the average intelligence of Bills fans.

NIN1984
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I was a HUGE Brohm fan, hopefully he can get a chance to compete in Buffalo.

CC.SD
11-20-2009, 02:47 AM
If he thought Coke was so great, he'd have told his disciples how to make it.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_-43iair00Wc/SJVuw1DLM6I/AAAAAAAAAF0/0G7ZyxvPMD4/s400/Mind+Blown.jpg

vikes_28
11-20-2009, 03:14 AM
I like the pick up. Obviously Trent Edwards is not the answer.

FUNBUNCHER
11-20-2009, 06:57 AM
I was a HUGE Brohm fan, hopefully he can get a chance to compete in Buffalo.

Wow, some of you are so quick to write off a 2nd year QB because he looked awful as a rookie!!
I thought he was a stud prospect coming out of Louisville with a sick deep ball. Sorry, but I have to see him in an NFL program for more than one year of coaching before I write the guy completely off.
Brohm is not going to Buffalo to start anyway, he's competing strictly for the 3rd string spot, IMO.

Raider_fan_Canada
11-20-2009, 08:49 AM
Even if Aaron Rodgers had not proven himself at that point, they would still have let him start the whole year, barring a major faceplant that wasnt probable. Picking a QB in round 2 could have waited one more year.

tjsunstein
11-20-2009, 08:55 AM
A lot of hindsight geniuses here. Who would have thought? I didn't love the pick when it happened but understood where it came from.

PACKmanN
11-20-2009, 09:05 AM
what's the difference in signing a qb from FA and drafting one? the team felt like Brohm was a better option then what we could have signed and took him. We wanted to get better, not settle.

tjsunstein
11-20-2009, 10:44 AM

You say that now. The search button is a friendly tool to have. Here's what I came up with. You did a couple mocks in '07 leading up the draft. Months ahead but nonetheless.

You had Brohm going number 9, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14806&highlight=Brian+Brohm

Number 16, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14417&highlight=Brian+Brohm

Number 4, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13869&highlight=Brian+Brohm

And number 15, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14055&highlight=Brian+Brohm

Number 7, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13677

Number 5, here.
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13470

And you say he wasn't good value in the second round to put behind a guy that never started a game and was injury prone?

bearsfan_51
11-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Dude. I am NOT an NFL GM. I know hardly more about college scouting than your mother. That's my whole point.

WE DON'T DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS. SCOTT DOESN'T DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS. NFL GM'S DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS BECAUSE THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS AND IT IS THERE JOB.

You just wasted a lot of time for nothing.

If you want me to explain the benefits of a scorched earth policy by the Romans in the Punic War, or why societies gradually shifted towards monotheistic, non-athropomorphic gods as they became more sedentary, by all means.

NIN1984
11-20-2009, 11:04 AM
I had Brohm going #2 one time, haha...

CC.SD
11-20-2009, 11:27 AM
I had Brohm going #2 one time, haha...

Way TMI dude.

Iamcanadian
11-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Wow, some of you are so quick to write off a 2nd year QB because he looked awful as a rookie!!
I thought he was a stud prospect coming out of Louisville with a sick deep ball. Sorry, but I have to see him in an NFL program for more than one year of coaching before I write the guy completely off.
Brohm is not going to Buffalo to start anyway, he's competing strictly for the 3rd string spot, IMO.

We wrote him off simply because Green Bay didn't think enough of him to even keep him on their roster for development. They exposed him to waivers to put him on their training roster but any of 31 other GM's could have claimed him but none of them did which IMO speaks volumes about his potential after they witnessed him in pre season games where he completely stunk. It is extremely rare that all 32 GM's think he has no real talent and wouldn't even give a second round pick a look by claiming him off waivers before the season started.

Brent
11-20-2009, 12:05 PM
why societies gradually shifted towards monotheistic, non-athropomorphic gods as they became more sedentary
This I actually do want to hear. Honestly, it sounds like an interesting lecture.

Giantsfan1080
11-20-2009, 12:10 PM
This I actually do want to hear. Honestly, it sounds like an interesting lecture.

I agree. As a history major myself I'd sign up for that one.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2009, 01:48 PM
In a nutshell, as societies shifted away from nomadic lifestyles, cosmologies likewise shifted away from beief systems based on nature. This also leads to a gradual shift from polytheistic beliefs as well, although not in quite as linear of a fashion.

The biggest reason is that if you don't travel with sheep, sacrificing a sheep to God is much more burdensome and illogical. At one point, Buddhists, Hindus, and Jews all practiced animal sacrifice, but changed their beliefs to appeal to the mercantile and urban classes which were growing as a result of increased agricultural production and trade. Likewise, Jesus' literal death marked an end of animal sacrifices as he took on all physical punishment for the forgiveness of sin.

The new form of sacrifice came to be internal. Not by destroying what one owned, but by restricting ones actions (diet, sex, etc) as a means of showing both loyalty and submission. As societies became more literate, standards of social morality were easier to enforce and explain, while non-animalistic dieties became more easier to conceptualize when people could more easily conceptualize the metaphysical.

In a nutshell.

Bengalsrocket
11-20-2009, 01:52 PM
why societies gradually shifted towards monotheistic, non-athropomorphic gods as they became more sedentary

I know nothing on the subject, but I'm going to assume that as humans became more sedentary they also started to develop agriculture, which lead to less worshiping of animals.

That's assuming you meant non-anthropomorphic gods. Anyways, am I close?!?!?

Babylon
11-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Using that logic JaMarcus Russell will be in Oakland for some time.

TitleTown088
11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
In a nutshell, as societies shifted away from nomadic lifestyles, cosmologies likewise shifted away from beief systems based on nature.

I don't disagree with this or anything and I see your point that the religion became less "based on nature" but nature still played an important role in early monotheistic (Christianity from what I've read) and well into the era of guys like Francis Bacon,who was a Christian as well. Again, not trying to contradict, just worth noting.

Hawk
11-20-2009, 02:56 PM
You say that now. The search button is a friendly tool to have. Here's what I came up with. You did a couple mocks in '07 leading up the draft. Months ahead but nonetheless.

Number 16, here.

Number 4, here.

And number 15, here.

Number 7, here.

Number 5, here.

And you say he wasn't good value in the second round to put behind a guy that never started a game and was injury prone?

I figured this was on the boards somewhere, but I just didn't have the time or the care to look it up. Thanks tj.

Its easy to Monday Morning Quarterback.

11-20-2009, 03:03 PM
Dude. I am NOT an NFL GM. I know hardly more about college scouting than your mother. That's my whole point.

WE DON'T DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS. SCOTT DOESN'T DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS. NFL GM'S DECIDE WHAT VALUE IS BECAUSE THEY ARE PROFESSIONALS AND IT IS THERE JOB.

You just wasted a lot of time for nothing.

AKA the Brady Quinn dilemma.

jackalope
11-20-2009, 06:23 PM
what's the difference in signing a qb from FA and drafting one? the team felt like Brohm was a better option then what we could have signed and took him. We wanted to get better, not settle.

There's a major difference. Sign a veteran QB and you get to keep your second round pick.

Gay Ork Wang
11-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I figured this was on the boards somewhere, but I just didn't have the time or the care to look it up. Thanks tj.

Its easy to Monday Morning Quarterback.
how is that from any importance? it was a bad pick, besides, those mocks were like 2 months from the draft so how is that relevant

tjsunstein
11-20-2009, 07:11 PM
how is that from any importance? it was a bad pick, besides, those mocks were like 2 months from the draft so how is that relevant

He said that Brohm was bad value but he had him going early to mid first in his mocks.

LonghornsLegend
11-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Number 16, here.

Number 4, here.

And number 15, here.

Number 7, here.

Number 5, here.

Man, that stuff is from like October and November, you realize how many guys look like 1st rounders at that point? I remember when Adarius Bowman was a top 10 pick in everyones mock as soon as the CFB season started, that really doesn't mean anything as far as what someone's real value was when the actual draft happened.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2009, 07:13 PM
I think everyone is missing the bigger picture, which is that none of us really know what the **** we're talking about, and comparing someone's mock to an actual decision made by an NFL front office is ridiculous.

"Well.....every other GM has passed on Brohm so far, but Bearsfan_51 had him in the 1st round in his mock a few months ago, so he must be a steal here!!"
-Ted Thompson

Hawk
11-20-2009, 08:46 PM
I think everyone is missing the bigger picture, which is that none of us really know what the **** we're talking about, and comparing someone's mock to an actual decision made by an NFL front office is ridiculous.

"Well.....every other GM has passed on Brohm so far, but Bearsfan_51 had him in the 1st round in his mock a few months ago, so he must be a steal here!!"
-Ted Thompson

Except you weren't the only one. Brohm was widely considered the top QB in that class for awhile.

CC.SD
11-20-2009, 08:47 PM
-Ted Thompson

Hey, you weren't in the room, never know.

bearsfan_51
11-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Except you weren't the only one. Brohm was widely considered the top QB in that class for awhile.
By who? People that actually make those decisions, or dorks on the internet and media people who don't know their head from their ass?

SuperKevin
11-20-2009, 08:59 PM
I still can't believe there's this much conversation about a practice squad QB

Hawk
11-20-2009, 09:25 PM
By who? People that actually make those decisions, or dorks on the internet and media people who don't know their head from their ass?

Obviously the latter. But isn't that what we base our opinions on? Media, and people like Scott, Kiper, McShay. And I wouldn't consider these "draft experts" as people who don't know their head from their ass, there is a reason he's kept his kept his job. I don't know how to access Kiper's archives but I guarantee you Brohm spent a good amount of time in his top 25.

Ok I stumbled across this video, albeit helping both of our cases, I think it will make you laugh more than anything.

he0BIKmoq0s

They thought it was a good pick, but obviously not for the same reason I thought it was. They believed him to be the starter, and I thought it was a great backup plan. However they also thought Brohm would be starting by now :roll:

Regardless I agreed with the pick then and I agree with it now. QB was a need at the time because Rodgers was the only QB on the roster. Favre retired and Nall was either a FA or traded if I recall. That explains them drafting 2 QB's. Thompson has never been big on FA.

jackalope
11-20-2009, 09:44 PM
That video is pretty funny in retrospect. Brohm said American Cheese was his favorite cheese, so he didn't deserve to succeed anyway.

11-21-2009, 12:19 AM

-Ted Thompson

Don't pretend you don't hold that much sway 51.

Shiver
11-21-2009, 12:40 AM
Brian Brohm may have been unduly hyped by the NFLDC think-tank, compared to this man though....

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1212/ncf_a_woodson_300.jpg

NFLDC is, as a whole, dead-on about the RB position; but we suck at evaluating quarterbacks.

CC.SD
11-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Brian Brohm may have been unduly hyped by the NFLDC think-tank, compared to this man though....

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2007/1212/ncf_a_woodson_300.jpg

NFLDC is, as a whole, dead-on about the RB position; but we suck at evaluating quarterbacks.

At least everybody knew Russell the Raider was a giant fuckup.

jsa230
11-21-2009, 01:21 AM

I'll tell you who, Mel F***ing Kiper. The best draft analyst espn has to offer. http://www.brianbrohmonline.com/BrianBrohmNews--20070611.php

please note sarcasm^

bearsfan_51
11-21-2009, 01:28 AM
It's funny to me how much people hate on Merril Hoge, because his % of being right vs. wrong has to be so much better than almost everyone else. Vince Young, Mike Williams, etc.

Bills2083
11-21-2009, 10:22 AM

If this is a case then we should offer our services to a team as RB scouts! :cool:

bored of education
11-21-2009, 10:24 AM
Brohm > Brady in 2011!

Cicero
11-21-2009, 10:36 AM
I still can't believe there's this much conversation about a practice squad QB

Seriously. Four pages on someone who 31 teams passed on at let go to the practice squad?

CC.SD
11-21-2009, 11:14 AM
It's funny to me how much people hate on Merril Hoge, because his % of being right vs. wrong has to be so much better than almost everyone else. Vince Young, Mike Williams, etc.

He will always get props for being so ridiculously right on Mike Williams while Kiper had him in the hall of fame, literally.

Brent
11-21-2009, 12:47 PM
I dont hate on him. I used to rock a quote of his in my sig: "Which ever team drafts Vince Young, will be out of a job in three years." You think that comes true if they dont bench him for Collins? Just sayin'...

The Unseen
11-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Fitzpatrick had a relatively good game, but that doesn't mean he's safe from Brohmzzz. The Jaguars are terrible against the pass, and were without Rashean Mathis, their best player. **** was gonna happen anyways.

BigDawg819
11-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Until they got to the F and R part of the QB list that year :D

Shane P. Hallam
12-22-2009, 12:52 PM
Per Rotoworld:

B. Brohm -QB -BUF: Brohm expected to start at Atlanta Sunday

vikes_28
12-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Per Rotoworld:

:/ 10 chars...

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Per Rotoworld:

I officially predict that this will instill a whole lot more debate into the Brohm situation. Atlanta's secondary is dreadful and T.O. will view this as yet another chance to show he can still help a team. Motivated Owens+no film on Brohm for ATL=a chance for Brohm to go into next year with a shot at starting.

cvv84
12-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I question Brohm's ability to pick up a pro style offense. He had no confidence when he was in Green Bay and he couldn't even move the ball in preseason with our 1st stringers. I still can't believe it when Ted Thompson said he was considering trading up in the 1st round to take Brohm.

On another note: I wish the Bills would trade Lee Evans

FUNBUNCHER
12-22-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know why, but some of us are too quick to throw a QB on the trash heap less than 5 years into their NFL career.

Brohm still has great tools and may yet develop into a solid NFL QB, especially if he hooks up with an OC who believes in his upside.

The recent early success of many young QBs has placed an artificial timeline on when a young QB is expected to emerge.

We're not talking about RBs. QB is by far the most difficult position in the NFL for a player to excel.

I believe in Brohm!!

Whistler6
12-22-2009, 01:23 PM
First Buffalo grabbed Nall from Green Bay now Brohm... (Giggle)

I was all over the Brohm as a 2nd round pick bandwagon, but he showed 0 potential on the field. Yeah I suppose it's way too early to throw him "on the trash heap", but there just didn't seem to be any growth or anything to get excited about.

cvv84
12-22-2009, 01:34 PM
First Buffalo grabbed Nall from Green Bay now Brohm... (Giggle)

I was all over the Brohm as a 2nd round pick bandwagon, but he showed 0 potential on the field. Yeah I suppose it's way too early to throw him "on the trash heap", but there just didn't seem to be any growth or anything to get excited about.

Thats just it. With Rodgers I remember when there was clamering for him to go to NFL Europe after his 1st year in the league. But when the 2nd year came he started to develop and show that potential.

With Brohm he never looked comfortable. Maybe a less complex offense will help but he was still sailing passes over the receivers head. He almost seems too technical and not playing with that 'feel' for the game.

BlindSite
12-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Preseason and TC performances shouldn't always be included, Jarrett looks like a probowler in TC and he's about to be cut and Moore looked abhorrent this year and he's 2-1 in delhomme's absence.

redbills
12-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Brohm will win the last 2 games and be so good the NFL will give us the #1 seed. Count on it.

SuperMcGee
12-22-2009, 03:07 PM
On another note: I wish the Bills would trade Lee Evans

With how we use Evans, he's pretty much as big a waste of a big contract as you'll find.
It sucks, because he's super good. We always do better when we throw to him. We just don't.
I pray that Brohm can at least do that.

But Evans can never leave, because I luvs him.

vikes_28
12-22-2009, 03:40 PM
With how we use Evans, he's pretty much as big a waste of a big contract as you'll find.
It sucks, because he's super good. We always do better when we throw to him. We just don't.

Lee Evans has been one of my favorite players since he was drafted.

nobodyinparticular
12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
Gosh darnit! I would think Brohm would be a better pickup for the Raiders than Bills' castoff Losman.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Gosh darnit! I would think Brohm would be a better pickup for the Raiders than Bills' castoff Losman.

JP can throw the longball. It was always going to end this way.

nobodyinparticular
12-22-2009, 04:35 PM
JP can throw the longball. It was always going to end this way.

But Gradkowski can't. And he started 4 games.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
But Gradkowski can't. And he started 4 games.

The fact that it took 9 games until they let Gradkowski start over Jamarcus freaking Russell is actually an argument in favor of their long ball fetish.

nobodyinparticular
12-22-2009, 06:05 PM
The fact that it took 9 games until they let Gradkowski start over Jamarcus freaking Russell is actually an argument in favor of their long ball fetish.

Or that they wanted to continue to give their #1 overall pick the opportunity to succeed.

PackerLegend
12-22-2009, 06:23 PM
I watched Brohm when he was with the Packers and he was about as bad as you could get. I saw 0 progress from him during his tenure.Its still early but if he can become a player on the Bills good for them. I just don't see it happening.

CC.SD
12-22-2009, 06:27 PM
Or that they wanted to continue to give their #1 overall pick the opportunity to succeed.

because he is a longball thrower.

I honestly believe the logic behind Jawalrus' drafting was 'ZOMG teh ARMMMM'

cvv84
12-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Funny that we're seeing Aaron Rodgers, Brian Brohm, and now Matt Flynn play today.

Bengals78
12-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Bengals will trade for Lee lol. We need a deep threat with Ocho.

descendency
12-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Obviously the Pack is committed to Rodgers, he'd have to be nuts to turn down Buffalo. Good pickup considering it costs them nothing.

You mean go to a team where the chances of getting released and never being heard from again is a good thing? Seriously, I think he'll be a training camp cut when the new coach tries to install "his guys" onto the team.

I mean, what do you do with someone else's 3rd QB.

At least as a packer he would sit on the bench collecting a check.

because he is a longball thrower.

I honestly believe the logic behind Jawalrus' drafting was 'ZOMG teh ARMMMM'
Because it's a 'ZOMG aww fence". You don't put Water-pistol Pennington into the Al Davis offense. You need that big arm to play in it. Obviously it's easy to look back and say that was stupid but maybe they thought he'd work hard when he got into the NFL.

I really don't know what he was like at LSU.

cvv84
12-28-2009, 10:14 AM
You mean go to a team where the chances of getting released and never being heard from again is a good thing? Seriously, I think he'll be a training camp cut when the new coach tries to install "his guys" onto the team.

Actually Brohm was on our practice squad so he's earning more being on the 53 man roster in Buffalo. The Packers also refused to match the $10k bonus that the Bills gave Brohm to sign him to their practice squad before they moved him up to their 53 man because of injuries to Fitzpatrick and Edwards. Not too mention its adding service time towards his NFL pension.

descendency
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
Actually Brohm was on our practice squad so he's earning more being on the 53 man roster in Buffalo.

I was under the impression he left because he had no hope behind aaron rodgers but that both teams wanted to move him into the active roster.

cvv84
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
I was under the impression he left because he had no hope behind aaron rodgers but that both teams wanted to move him into the active roster.

Nope we kept him on the roster his rookie season because we were hoping that he'd develop. That never happened so we cut him during the final cuts when we were going down to 53. He could've signed with a few other teams practice squads at that time but choose to stay in GB because he wanted to continue to learn the same offense. He left because the Packers didn't want to pay him the $10k bonus to stay on our practice squad. The Packers had no reason to move him to the active roster seeing Rodgers has stayed healthy and Matt Flynn is the better QB.

CC.SD
12-29-2009, 01:05 AM

Well if he had the kind of zero self confidence it would take to act like you've proposed he shouldn't be in the NFL anyway, he can get a real job.

Because it's a 'ZOMG aww fence". You don't put Water-pistol Pennington into the Al Davis offense. You need that big arm to play in it. Obviously it's easy to look back and say that was stupid but maybe they thought he'd work hard when he got into the NFL.

I really don't know what he was like at LSU.

When they drafted him the offense was run by a guy they brought off the street from running a bed and breakfast. It was easy to look at it and say it was stupid at the time. I obviously don't have a problem with a deep ball centered passing game but somewhere along the line someone needed to call BS on Jamarcus as a #1 pick. His accuracy is honestly hilarious. He was a late first or later prospect until facing the Notre Dame defense which was even more horrible than usual that year. As far as reading defenses, well we are 3 years down the line and he is still the worst in the NFL at it so you can imagine what he was like as a collegiate. The arm is absolutely the only reason he was drafted so high.

wogitalia
12-29-2009, 02:33 AM
His accuracy is honestly hilarious.

I may be way off base here, but I could have sworn that the accuracy he displayed in the SEC was a big reason people rated him higher than Quinn and that it had improved each season. I may be thinking of someone else, but I'm almost certain it was Russell.

The other thing I remember was people kept mentioning his mobility and that he was more mobile than Quinn despite the fact that there was absolutely nothing to support it, he was bigger, slower, had worse YPC averages, less rushing yards but I remember people arguing passionately he was mobile.

Of course, the work ethic thing is what has done him in, it was not any kind of lack of natural ability and really, that has been a consistent failure with players at the Raiders. See Randy Moss, Russell, Gallery, Woodson and Huff as recent guys who had all the talent in the world but never did anything at Oakland, Woodson and Moss so far have really shown it to be a symptom of being a Raider as much as anything. It seems to take the truly special guys to do anything there which is pretty much Aso over the last 5 years.