PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Vikings fans

MetSox17
11-19-2009, 04:06 PM
Brad Childress has been offered a contract extension. Ouch.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10399162/Childress-mulling-multiyear-extension-from-Vikings

Saints-Tigers
11-19-2009, 04:07 PM
Hahahha, and he's "mulling over it" as if he's in high demand.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Further apologies to the little children in the Minnesota area. The bad man is here to stay.

Jvig43
11-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Didnt he already sign a contract extension?

HawkeyeFan
11-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Why the heck does everyone want him gone?

bearsfan_51
11-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Hahahha, and he's "mulling over it" as if he's in high demand.
People with beards are constantly mulling things. It's one of the best reasons to have a beard.

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:24 PM

Obviously you haven't seen many Vikings games....

And he's already agreed to it. It's all but done. **** my ************* life.

JFLO
11-19-2009, 04:26 PM
I've posted this video on this topic once before and I'll post it again...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTr-Nui1tDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lTr-Nui1tDg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

P-L
11-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Because he's a terrible coach. The Vikings are winning in spite of him, not because of him.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:35 PM
Because he's a terrible coach. The Vikings are winning in spite of him, not because of him.

To be fair he was the driving force behind the addition of Favre.

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:37 PM
To be fair he was the driving force behind the addition of Favre.

Well that wasn't exactly rocket science. Brett was thinking about coming back and our quarterback was Tarvaris Jackson.

Besides, it's the in game coaching where he really sucks. There is no worse in game coach in the NFL.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:38 PM
Well that wasn't exactly rocket science. Brett was thinking about coming back and our quarterback was Tarvaris Jackson.

Besides, it's the in game coaching where he really sucks. There is no worse in game coach in the NFL.

Yah but Childress also runs Favre's offense, which is why the transition was seamless. I'm not saying he's a great coach, but he is the reason they are where they're at.

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:41 PM
Yah but Childress also runs Favre's offense, which is why the transition was seamless. I'm not saying he's a great coach, but he is the reason they are where they're at.

He is literally the worst play caller in the NFL. He runs the basic offense that Favre likes but he has absolutely no clue how to call plays according to the situation we are in. Just last week we were moving the ball down the field without any resistance from the Lions and he decides to run a reverse at the 15 yard line and we turn it over. Favre was mic'd up for that game and even he was talking about how it was a bad playcall.

He's just completely pathetic.

EvilNixon
11-19-2009, 04:42 PM
lol. Vike fans really hate the guy.

tjsunstein
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM

Awful lot of money to give the guy. I think almost anyone could win with the team that he has right now with Favre being the key component. Take Favre away and then what do you have?

yo123
11-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Awful lot of money to give the guy. I think almost anyone could win with the team that he has right now with Favre being the key component. Take Favre away and then what do you have?

Well, still a solid team as was shown last year.

But yeah, Dick fricken Jauron could do the same thing Childress is doing right now.

CC.SD
11-19-2009, 04:56 PM

Hm well I trust the Vikings fans but generally it looks to me like Childress played a decent role in shaping the team...better believe he signed off on drafting Peterson too (not hard in retrospect, but 6 teams did pass), Favre, Harvin, etc.

yo123
11-19-2009, 05:01 PM
Hm well I trust the Vikings fans but generally it looks to me like Childress played a decent role in shaping the team...better believe he signed off on drafting Peterson too (not hard in retrospect, but 6 teams did pass), Favre, Harvin, etc.

He's really not a bad personnel guy at all. It's his borderline ******** playcalls and in game decisions that are just really frustrating.

I'm sure Titans fans remember last year when we punted on 4th down, down by two scores with no timeouts and 2 minutes left.

marshallb
11-19-2009, 05:19 PM

I don't know how much of that is actually him or if it is Rick Spielman and the others in the front office though, but no, he's a good personnel guy if even some of that is him. It's his coaching that blows. He is one of the absolute worst game managers, with Romeo gone, now it's between him and Reid, and the playcalling is horrendous at times.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-19-2009, 05:35 PM
I can understand why Viking fans are upset over this, his playcalling is terrible and very scary. When they played Baltimore they were up 31-17 in the 4th quarter with like 7:00min to go and his playcalling was VERY questionable, it was definitely the reason why Baltimore had a chance to win.

I think an in-house promotion should have been given to Leslie Frazier and let Childress go, Vikings are winning because of all the talent they have on both sides of the ball and with how well their defense plays, not because of Childress. Imagine where they would be w/o Favre?

yodabear
11-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Maybe Packer fans can forgive Favre now. He got Childress 4 more years in Minnesota. Favre will only be there this year, maybe the next. That is still 2 or 3 more years with Childress and no Favre to save his butt. Maybe Packer fans can once again say thank u Brett.

marshallb
11-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I can understand why Viking fans are upset over this, his playcalling is terrible and very scary. When they played Baltimore they were up 31-17 in the 4th quarter with like 7:00min to go and his playcalling was VERY questionable, it was definitely the reason why Baltimore had a chance to win.

I'm not all that upset that he got the extension, it's when. Why not wait until the end of the season? If we lose in the first round or first game if we have a bye, then it means nothing and he should be fired. To me, it's NFCCG or he should be fired, but now that's not going to happen.

I've tried telling that to other non-Vikings fans about that game, most being Packers fans, and they all tell me that it doesn't matter and that we should have lost but Hauschka can't kick, and blah blah.

LonghornsLegend
11-19-2009, 07:26 PM

Yea, but I think you have to give him alot more credit then that.

He was also the driving force behind Percy Harvin. Didn't he fly all the way over to meet him in person and give him an evaluation? I'm pretty sure he was the one who decided they needed to have him while everyone else was talking about him failing a drug test and coming from a gimmick offense.

Also with the Favre thing everyone forgets that people were trying to move on, talking about how unfair it would be to Rosenfels or Jackson to still bring in Favre etc etc. I'm not saying he's the greatest coach but he deserves alot of credit for some of the personnel moves he was behind that turned out great.

Also he's gotten better record wise each year in Minny and they are off to a blazing start this year, did you expect him to get fired for doing all of that?

TitleTown088
11-19-2009, 07:37 PM
He's a great football mind.

wogitalia
11-19-2009, 08:40 PM
He would be fine if he could actually coach. His personnel moves have been fine, even good, but his coaching is just hurtful it is that bad.

Mr. Goosemahn
11-19-2009, 08:50 PM
Lol, I remember in the Vikings Steelers game he challenged an 8 yard pass completion for a first down on the Steelers side of the field.

Ben threw to Wallace, who caught the ball, and got the first down, and it wasn't even an important call.

Needless to say, he lost the call, announcers were dumbfounded, they lost a timeout, and he quite frankly looked like a dumbass.

Sorry, Viking fans.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I love fans who complain about a HC who has an 8-1 record and made the playoffs last year with junk at QB. Some people are never satisfied.
I guess the owner and the GM haven't seen what the fans see and they realize that winning in the NFL is tough. Let's see, how many teams in the NFL make it to the playoffs consistently without a franchise QB = zero, how many teams with a franchise QB make it to the playoffs on a very consistent basis, almost all of them. How long has Childress had a franchise QB = 1 year, and are they going back to the playoffs again this year, yes.
Last year, he beat Arizona and the Giants, 2 teams that have made it to the SB the last 2 years. Gee I don't think he can coach.
Reminds me of the Washington fans who complained that Joe Gibbs was washed up and behind the times even though he took them to the playoffs twice within a few years, and look what happened when he resigned and they hired a new HC, Jim Zorn.
Some people always think the other side of the mountain is greener. I'd say, sorry NFL North, you'll be looking at the Viking behind for a few more years.

Gay Ork Wang
11-19-2009, 08:58 PM
thing is it wasnt him that won it...

also: sucks to be TJ Housh

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 09:02 PM

Your right, I mean why even hire a HC, they are so unimportant. I guess the owner should just send his son down to be HC and allow the players to do what they want afterall, they win in spite of Childress.

PoopSandwich
11-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Cleveland Browns coaching staff with 8.7 points per game says hi.

The_Dude
11-19-2009, 09:51 PM
I'm not all that upset that he got the extension, it's when. Why not wait until the end of the season? If we lose in the first round or first game if we have a bye, then it means nothing and he should be fired. To me, it's NFCCG or he should be fired, but now that's not going to happen.

I've tried telling that to other non-Vikings fans about that game, most being Packers fans, and they all tell me that it doesn't matter and that we should have lost but Hauschka can't kick, and blah blah.

Ditto 100%.

If he could win one of those big games, he would cost more money... but that is no big deal. Now, if he loses one of the big games, and there is a great chance that his play calling/decision making would lose a game, we won't be firing him.

Dumb move by the Vikings F.O.

Bengalsrocket
11-19-2009, 09:59 PM

What happened to Housh?

Iamcanadian
11-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Ditto 100%.

If he could win one of those big games, he would cost more money... but that is no big deal. Now, if he loses one of the big games, and there is a great chance that his play calling/decision making would lose a game, we won't be firing him.

Dumb move by the Vikings F.O.

Yeah, about 3x as much. They simply don't want to start over which could set the franchise back for years and they don't want to take the risk of having to pay him 3x as much money. Then they couldn't afford his services especially if he makes it quite far into the playoffs.
Very sound financial and team decision by the Vikings. The alternate could easily turnout to be a disaster.

Crazy_Chris
11-19-2009, 10:52 PM
I love fans who complain about a HC who has an 8-1 record and made the playoffs last year with junk at QB. Some people are never satisfied.
I guess the owner and the GM haven't seen what the fans see and they realize that winning in the NFL is tough. Let's see, how many teams in the NFL make it to the playoffs consistently without a franchise QB = zero, how many teams with a franchise QB make it to the playoffs on a very consistent basis, almost all of them. How long has Childress had a franchise QB = 1 year, and are they going back to the playoffs again this year, yes.
Last year, he beat Arizona and the Giants, 2 teams that have made it to the SB the last 2 years. Gee I don't think he can coach.
Reminds me of the Washington fans who complained that Joe Gibbs was washed up and behind the times even though he took them to the playoffs twice within a few years, and look what happened when he resigned and they hired a new HC, Jim Zorn.
Some people always think the other side of the mountain is greener. I'd say, sorry NFL North, you'll be looking at the Viking behind for a few more years.

This is a good post... I will be the first to admit that at times Childress can drive me nuts with some of his decisions in the game like a double reverse in the red zone against the lions. However he still deserves more credit than some are giving him. You can't sit here and blame the head coach for absolutly everything bad that happens, but when something good happens he just can't of had anything to do with that either. :|

Fact is the guy has had a pretty big part in putting together a talented team that has improved record wise every year under him.

BleedBurgundy96
11-19-2009, 10:56 PM

I agree with this 100%.

wogitalia
11-20-2009, 12:45 AM
The general consensus from what I can gather is that a head coach has about a 10% influence on whether a team wins or loses.

The Vikings are very much a team that wins despite our HC, Childress has done a good job from a personnel side of things(The whole Cook at RT debacle aside) but he also has one of the most talented teams in the league.

His problem is he is ultra conservative to the point of being predictable, this year the offense has opened up a lot but that has more to do with Favre actually being allowed to audible and changing plays, the playcalling in general is still just as bad as ever.

Look at the defense he has to work with, throw in Hutch, Birk(up to this year), AP and Berrian and the offense has enough that it should be pretty solid.

LonghornsLegend
11-20-2009, 01:11 AM
Look at the defense he has to work with, throw in Hutch, Birk(up to this year), AP and Berrian and the offense has enough that it should be pretty solid.

What I don't understand is the people who keep saying "well look what he has on the team coach A or B could do just as well with that team" as if he had no influence on the moves the team made.

Do you think he had nothing to do with trading for Jared Allen who obviously is a big reason that defense took the next step. Nobody knows if he was 100% behind all of those moves or not, but alot of the talent on that team was acquired while he was the HC, why should he just get none of the credit?

wogitalia
11-20-2009, 02:03 AM
What I don't understand is the people who keep saying "well look what he has on the team coach A or B could do just as well with that team" as if he had no influence on the moves the team made.

Do you think he had nothing to do with trading for Jared Allen who obviously is a big reason that defense took the next step. Nobody knows if he was 100% behind all of those moves or not, but alot of the talent on that team was acquired while he was the HC, why should he just get none of the credit?

I mentioned that from a personnel stand point he has been outstanding or at least very good. That said, just because he plays a part in getting them there does not mean he should get a pass if a team underachieves with that talent. He actually would be quite a good GM based on what he has achieved as part of the Vikings personnel team. The guy just can't coach, to his credit though, he has done a good job in finding and hiring defensive coordinators which he also deserves credit for.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if he is around a long time though, especially if we can actually get a good QB, this draft may end up helping with that if a lot of the juniors rush out for financial reasons(fear of rookie scale contracts). Favre actually looks like has a year left right now, could pick up a good junior like a Clausen or Locker to sit for a year, or even a guy like Quinn if he isn't held by the Browns.

yo123
11-20-2009, 02:29 AM

I think we have established that he's a good personnel guy, but then put him in the front office or something. I don't want this dumbass calling the plays in the NFCCG. Just the thought of that terrifies me. The fact that even some Vikings fans are somewhat defending him is shocking to me, although by the second quarter of the game Sunday I'm sure they'll remember how completely incompetent he is.

The people who don't consistently watch the Vikings and the atrocity that is Brad Childress, with all due respect, really can't comment on this with any knowledge of the situation. He's assembled a good team with some great talent (although it's unclear how much of that he actually had to do with.) That's not all a coach has to do.

We aren't giving him any credit as a coach for the good start because he doesn't deserve any. As a talent evaluator sure. But as an IN GAME coach, he is the worst I have ever seen.

CC.SD
11-20-2009, 02:44 AM
What happened to Housh?

The Vikings courted him big time, even had players talking to him. But he chose Seattle after he met with Tarvaris Jackson.

vikes_28
11-20-2009, 02:56 AM
I have a feeling that because of this the Vikings will embarrass themselves in the second round of the playoffs. I'm one of those skeptics who have no faith whatsoever in the vikings. Brad Childress's play calling is going to be their downfall. I see the Vikings as a SuperBowl team with a mediocre coach.

General Zod
11-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Seriously all, if there is any question, watch an entire Vikes game. You will have at least 3 or 4 WTF?! moments in offensive playcalling.

49ersfan_87
11-20-2009, 09:26 PM
I guess the Vikings will have a kick-ass offense for at least a little while longer.

yodabear
11-20-2009, 09:42 PM
I have a feeling that because of this the Vikings will embarrass themselves in the second round of the playoffs. I'm one of those skeptics who have no faith whatsoever in the vikings. Brad Childress's play calling is going to be their downfall. I see the Vikings as a SuperBowl team with a mediocre coach.

I will refer u to Titletown's signature, cuz it is kinda true.

vikes_28
11-20-2009, 11:44 PM
I will refer u to Titletown's signature, cuz it is kinda true.

Don't make me fight you.

Iamcanadian
11-21-2009, 01:48 AM
I mentioned that from a personnel stand point he has been outstanding or at least very good. That said, just because he plays a part in getting them there does not mean he should get a pass if a team underachieves with that talent. He actually would be quite a good GM based on what he has achieved as part of the Vikings personnel team. The guy just can't coach, to his credit though, he has done a good job in finding and hiring defensive coordinators which he also deserves credit for.

I actually wouldn't be shocked if he is around a long time though, especially if we can actually get a good QB, this draft may end up helping with that if a lot of the juniors rush out for financial reasons(fear of rookie scale contracts). Favre actually looks like has a year left right now, could pick up a good junior like a Clausen or Locker to sit for a year, or even a guy like Quinn if he isn't held by the Browns.

How has he under achieved, they are 8-1 in case you didn't notice. He made the playoffs last year with practically nothing at QB. If you call this under achieving, I question your reasoning.

Iamcanadian
11-21-2009, 01:53 AM
Seriously all, if there is any question, watch an entire Vikes game. You will have at least 3 or 4 WTF?! moments in offensive playcalling.

He's 8-1 so his play calling cannot be all that bad. I don't think a lot of Minny fans would even be satisfied if he was 9-0. His team has improved every year he has been there and now is one of the top teams in the NFC and they are still complaining???

yo123
11-21-2009, 02:00 AM
He's 8-1 so his play calling cannot be all that bad. I don't think a lot of Minny fans would even be satisfied if he was 9-0. His team has improved every year he has been there and now is one of the top teams in the NFC and they are still complaining???

Do you seriously not understand that a team can win even with bad coaching if the talent level is high enough? The Eagles have been winning regular season games for the better part of a decade with Andy Reid who sucks.

Gay Ork Wang
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Do you seriously not understand that a team can win even with bad coaching if the talent level is high enough? The Eagles have been winning regular season games for the better part of a decade with Andy Reid who sucks.
but he is 8-1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111