PDA

View Full Version : Redskins.com: Portis Ruled Out For Cowboys Game

BleedBurgundy96
11-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Clinton Portis will sit out this Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys, head coach Jim Zorn said.

Portis continues to recover from the concussion he suffered on Nov. 8 in a game against the Atlanta Falcons.

Click here for the rest of the article....

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Portis_Ruled_Out_For_Cowboys_Game_79685.jsp

I hope Portis gets better but id rather have Betts starting this Sunday in Dallas. He played great last week and he looks like the 2006 Betts. If he gets a certain amount of carries he can make a steady impact on a football game.

critesy
11-19-2009, 10:37 PM
lol 2006 betts. you mean when our o line was dominant and i could of ran for the same amount of yards as him. betts has been running good this year so far but from history he hardly breaks tackles and just does nothing special. hes bad in pass pro, good hands and yeah. i would much rather have portis.

BleedBurgundy96
11-19-2009, 10:43 PM
lol 2006 betts. you mean when our o line was dominant and i could of ran for the same amount of yards as him. betts has been running good this year so far but from history he hardly breaks tackles and just does nothing special. hes bad in pass pro, good hands and yeah. i would much rather have portis.

The line played well when Betts was on the field in 2006 but alot of it was also the way Betts ran IMO. He took on defenders and got extra yards on almost every run.

I honestly have never been a big fan of Portis. From watching him play over the years I think he was really overrated. Now hes just going downhill. I know most Redskin fans love Portis. Hes a cool guy off the field but I dont like him on the field. Betts gave us something for the first time this year. A running game.

You have your own opinion. I do respect it but I just dont agree with it.

DiG
11-20-2009, 07:43 AM
if portis is healthy enough to practice than he should be the starter. he is a better and more versatile player than betts.

and dont try and give all the credit to betts for giving us a running game last week. chad rhineheart and levin jones gave us something we havent had all year, holes to run through.

2 Live Crew
11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
I don't think Betts is that great but Portis is pretty much hitting the wall in his career. I think he's hitting that "30" wall a little earlier because he's had extra mileage in his career.

I'd rather have the rotating tandem of Betts and Rock, than Portis getting 20 carries a game. He's slowing down.

DiG
11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
i dont disagree that Portis isnt the same back he once was but I still believe firmly hes better than Betts and Rock by a good bit. That said, I agree he needs to be splitting carries with someone more than he is. I just dont think that someone is someone we have on the roster right now.

Canadian_draft_fan
11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
I voted for Portis - even though he is not what he once was he is overall a better back than Betts. However, I think Betts has earned the right to get more carries than he has been getting.

2 Live Crew
11-20-2009, 10:02 AM
I like the guy, I just think his time has come. It happens. He should be sharing carries at the very least when he comes back. With that said, I hope he proves me wrong. But concussions need to be taken a lot more seriously.

Westbrook (who I love) should serve as an example...stuff happens :(

treyskins
11-20-2009, 11:47 AM
It just hasnt been happening for Portis this season,1 rushing T.D. in 8 games is not good enough for the money he makes.

You wont find a bigger Portis fan but i voted Betts because i want to see him finish out this season,will he still fumble?,can he do it week in week out behind this current line?

Portis had an easy camp,is the owners "pet" and doesnt seem in sync with his line.
Would love him to break Riggo's team rushing record but it wont happen this season,dont believe he has hit the wall yet but will need a monster off-season to justify staying on this team with a new coach coming in.

BleedBurgundy96
11-20-2009, 05:36 PM
and dont try and give all the credit to betts for giving us a running game last week. chad rhineheart and levin jones gave us something we havent had all year, holes to run through.

Levi Jones did make some really nice blocks to spring Betts last Sunday vs Denver. I noticed the line as a whole did play better as well. Before the game I had a feeling this group of starting lineman would be better than other weeks. Jones and Rinehart are upgrades at LT and RG.

I just think right now Betts is the better back and has shown once again that when given a chance he can be effective. Hopefully Portis comes back in a couple weeks and we can have a nice 2 headed monster at RB.

critesy
11-20-2009, 06:13 PM
portis just takes too much of a beating. like put portis in betts situation. let him basically have a year and some games off then put him in he is going to have a 150+ rushing game. now if they use a commitee with portis, betts and ganther (screw rock keep him for special teams and because i like ganther more) i think portis will be much more explosive and productive, obviously.

BleedBurgundy96
11-20-2009, 06:31 PM
portis just takes too much of a beating. like put portis in betts situation. let him basically have a year and some games off then put him in he is going to have a 150+ rushing game. now if they use a commitee with portis, betts and ganther (screw rock keep him for special teams and because i like ganther more) i think portis will be much more explosive and productive, obviously.

I think Portis would be better if the Skins used a dual threat of Portis and Betts. Portis does take a pounding. He is also better in space and its hard to find space with the Skins OLine over the last year or so. Betts style is better for running inside. For the last 3 seasons the Skins have talked about using Betts more to give Portis some rest. Maybe they finally will do it when Portis does return. I think Portis and Betts can feed off of each other and be a nice 1-2 tandem.

D-Unit
11-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I think the Skins just got a new quality poster added to the forum!

Welcome BleedBurgundy96!

BleedBurgundy96
11-20-2009, 08:41 PM
I think the Skins just got a new quality poster added to the forum!

Welcome BleedBurgundy96!

Thanks D-Unit. HTTR!