PDA

View Full Version : TNF: Dolphins late decision....

Raider_fan_Canada
11-20-2009, 08:38 AM
For those who watched the game last night, I have a question.

With 44 secondes left, up 24-17, the Dolphins had 4th and 3 at the Panthers 28. The Panthers had no timeouts left. Then Greg Pappa says "so what do you do here, your not going to kick the FG...". So they run it up the middle for 1 yard and turn it over.

As a result Jake Delhomme and his offense had 40 seconds left, no TOs, to drive the field and score a tying TD. They felt short but got in position on the last play from the Dolphins 26.

So my question is, why not kick the FG!? Thats 46 yards, to go up 2 scores and assure the win. Dan Carpenter is 6 for 7 40-49 yards and 16 for 17 overall this year. If you miss it you still give back the ball at the same spot. Sure it could be returned if it was really short or on a fumble, but the same risk exists with a run. The run doesnt burn any time because its a change of possession play.

I mean Bill Belichick caught a lot of flak for fearing Peyton Manning on SNF, why is nobody talking about Tony Sparano who didnt trust his ST and gave the Panthers a chance to drive back and tie the game? Sure he won, but I think that decision was worst then the one to go for it on 4th and 2.

tjsunstein
11-20-2009, 08:51 AM
Should definitely kick the FG.

But, Miami won and New England lost which is why Belichick is getting more publicity. And that beside the fact that Thursday's game really wasn't the most appealing match up so I doubt a lot of people cared.

draftguru151
11-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Yea that was awful. No idea what was with that call.

killxswitch
11-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Plus when Tony Sparano screws up at the end of a game (even if they had lost) it isn't a big headline. When the "genius" Bill Belichick messes up in crunch time it is a real shocker.

Still, it was a dumb move. No good reason not to kick there.

Raider_fan_Canada
11-20-2009, 09:30 AM
thanks, I felt like I was the only one that saw a problem there!

Whats funny is that I kind of started to sleep during the last minutes, then I woke up again to see that and Im shocked Carolina still has a chance to tie the game after the Ricky Williams TD and the failed onside kick!

Da-Phins
11-20-2009, 11:19 AM
Carpenter would've nailed it if gotten the chance. But Sparano said the reason why he didnt kick is cause all the injuries by the lineman in the game. Saying there wouldve been guys that havent work with the st's being in there and didnt want there to be any miscommunication which could lead to a block FG. And also running that 4th down play would run some time off the clock.

Brent
11-20-2009, 11:51 AM
could've been worse. denver probably would've punted.
if Mike Nolan was your coach, you undoubtedly would have.

Giantsfan1080
11-20-2009, 11:59 AM
By the way it's Bob Papa not Greg Pappa unless Greg Pappa is a radio guy I don't know about.

Raider_fan_Canada
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Carpenter would've nailed it if gotten the chance. But Sparano said the reason why he didnt kick is cause all the injuries by the lineman in the game. Saying there wouldve been guys that havent work with the st's being in there and didnt want there to be any miscommunication which could lead to a block FG. And also running that 4th down play would run some time off the clock.

Thanks, at least now we have an explanation. Still not sure about it, taking in acount the % of blocked FGs and even lower % of blocked FGs returned for TDs in the NFL.

By the way it's Bob Papa not Greg Pappa unless Greg Pappa is a radio guy I don't know about.

Oh my bad. Greg Papa is the radio play-by-play caller of the Raiders!

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
could've been worse. denver probably would've punted.

If we still had Kern, we'd have won anyway.

terribletowel39
11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
i ******* hate mitch berger.
He really is one of the worst punters ever. So glad Sepulveda has healed.

jth1331
11-20-2009, 01:45 PM
If they get the 1st down, the game is over. I see the reason for going for it. I also see the reason for kicking the field goal.
My view, you have more probability for success kicking the field goal than going for it though.

nrk
11-20-2009, 02:10 PM

He also said he didn't want Miami to return it if it wasn't long enough. I'm pretty sure he said that after the game.

CC.SD
11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Made no sense, afraid of the block/return? That's terrible reasoning. Would they have gone for two if they had scored a TD instead of kicking the extra point? :D

Raider_fan_Canada
11-20-2009, 02:48 PM
There is something wrong with Dan Carpenter if he's short on a 46 yards attempt!

All these reasons make the decision look like one not to lose opposed then one to win. It nearly costed them in the end.

dolphinfan2k5
11-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Anyone see the opening kickoff? Stuff like that is why you don't risk it. The field was awful last night, players on both teams were falling down on cuts constantly. Our defense played well all night, especially against the pass. No reason to give them the chance to block a field goal and score that way. Especially with our offensive line missing about three guys. Plus if you miss the field goal, it's the same result, except you give them an extra seven yards. It was the right call given the context. I would have rather the play been a play-action rollout though. Didn't like that aspect at all.

This is not even close to being like Belichick's call.

vikes_28
11-20-2009, 04:27 PM
i ******* hate mitch berger.

He wasn't all too terrible on the Vikings back in the day. I think he had a passing TD.

Finz99
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't hate the playcall at all. They were already getting close on our only field goal attempt, and we had so many injuries to many of our special teams players that I would say there was a high percentage of a horrible snap/blocked kick. Good choice in my opinion.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Ugh, he's Canadian, too. Way to represent our country, asshole.

The Unseen
11-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Ugh, he's Canadian, too. Way to represent our country, asshole.

A lot of asshole Americans exist. I don't blame them for much.

BleedBurgundy96
11-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Should definitely kick the FG.

But, Miami won and New England lost which is why Belichick is getting more publicity. And that beside the fact that Thursday's game really wasn't the most appealing match up so I doubt a lot of people cared.

The Dolphins should of kicked the FG IMO I agree.

The reason why Belichick is getting more pub is because he went for it from HIS OWN 28 YARD LINE and not the Colts 28 yard line. Even if the Patriots had gotten the first alot of people would of said it was a stupid decision. I would of been one of them.

BlindSite
11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
I'm more pissed off that the ref wouldn't let carolina snap the ball on the interception play, carolina went no huddle, no subs and they allowed miami to sub players, which isn't in the rules, if carolina subbed players fair enough, but they didn't.

It allowed miami to bring in different guys, carolina would have had a free play, instead the ref's ****** up the call and it was a pick in the redzone.

dolphinfan2k5
11-21-2009, 04:35 PM
I'm more pissed off that the ref wouldn't let carolina snap the ball on the interception play, carolina went no huddle, no subs and they allowed miami to sub players, which isn't in the rules, if carolina subbed players fair enough, but they didn't.

It allowed miami to bring in different guys, carolina would have had a free play, instead the ref's ****** up the call and it was a pick in the redzone.

It would have just been a five yard penalty. I just assumed they subbed, didn't know for sure. Are you sure they didn't? Anyway if you want to debate penalties, how about Cameron Wake being held every time he was in the game? If you don't believe me, just go watch the last play again.