PDA

View Full Version : Do we have any chance of catching the Pats?

Vilma the Animal
03-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Something that's really frustrating is that, as soon as the Pats start to regress and the Jets start to catch up with a young, rising team, the Patriots have a monster offseason. Adalius will really help their D and theyve really given Brady some targets with Welker and Stallworth. All that is really really scaring me. So do you think we could catch up to the Patriots in the near future? I'd like to say yes, but I really don't think its realistic (at least for next season), although I still feel we're a playoff team. Discuss...

Crickett
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Certainly doesn't seem like it this year. :(

BroadwayJoe10
03-11-2007, 11:53 AM
i see absolutely no reason that we can't...because they are the pats everyone sees their high spending as being aggressive and having a game plan and going after what they want...well san fran did that, they got a younger top notch defensive player (which isn't an 80 million dollar contract its a 64 ish million still alot but i digress) they sign tully banta cain and a few other players, but to everyone else it seems as tho there just throwing money around, if they had won 3 superbowls people would be saying that they were brilliant and being aggressive...i agree that thomas was a great pickup for them and welker and stallworth will add to bradys recieving corp..but they shelled out some pretty big money for them..especially for a stallworth whos never caught for 1000 yards, nagged by injuries his entire career and is in the substance abuse program..granted they could turn into an elite reciving corp with brady at the helm and welker is a perfect slot reciever, but they also lost graham...before the draft i still feel now our recieving corp is better, our safeties are only going to get better, our running game i have a feeling will be better now with thomas and barnes and a year under leons belt (also they have a huge loss without corey dillon, they wont be able to eat the clock up like they did with the lead in the 4th quarter..assuming they have it this year haha i still feel that we match up pretty well and aren't as far back as everyone thinks...plus i think brian schoettenheimer is a genius and im excited to see what hes gonna do with TJ and leon in the backfield.....maybe im being to optomistic but i see no reason we should go into the season feeling were so undermatched, right now everyone is 0-0

hcbrad08
03-11-2007, 11:59 AM
as denny green would say...If you wanna crown 'em then crown their ass!

Crickett
03-11-2007, 12:03 PM
as denny green would say...If you wanna crown 'em then crown their ass!

The problem is, they were who we thought they were. :(

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 12:23 PM
The problem is, they were who we thought they were. :(

WELL THAT'S WHY WE TAKE THE DAMN FIELD.

Now that we have solidified our running game, it will open up the passing game a little more. Not only have we caught up to them, but we have surpassed them.

Naked Jehuty
03-11-2007, 12:30 PM
WELL THAT'S WHY WE TAKE THE DAMN FIELD.

Now that we have solidified our running game, it will open up the passing game a little more. Not only have we caught up to them, but we have surpassed them.

I wouldn't go as far to say we surpassed them but we have definetley improved our backfield. Sadly, thats about it. We've added other signings but I don't think any will make as much as an impact as the Pats signings. My thinking is, if the Pats were better than us this season and had a better offseason (still up for debate, especially with the draft) than they will have an overall better team than us. Of course I'm still optimistic that when it's all said and done we'll be 2-0 in the series and have a better record.

hugepunch
03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
guys, never say never. any team can win on a sunday.

derza222
03-11-2007, 02:18 PM
If you think about it, our team last year was not very talented and we were adjusting to a new defensive scheme. Our defense really improved as the year went on, and we have a pretty young team that will continue to improve. We have a good coach and a good GM as well, we can really only improve (I could see us taking a small step back this year and really moving forwards after that). Plus, the Pats seem to be avoiding their strategy of not putting up big dollars and focusing on character players, which is why they've had the offseason they've had. I think eventually that could come back to bite them and that they will lose the environment they've had there that has helped them so much over the years. I think we definitely will catch up to the Patriots, maybe not this year but a few years (3-4) down the road, if not earlier. Plus as jetsfan3 said, Thomas Jones will have a tremendous impact on the offense and the team in general. He'll obviously improve the run game (which will improve anyway as D'Brick and Mangold get experience) which will open up the pass game AND keep the defense off the field and fresh.

vilma
03-11-2007, 02:40 PM
I have been saying since the beginging of last season that we are 2 offseasons and drafts away from being a superbowl team. i also expected 6-10 last season. I think we will be a good team this year, win 10 games and be a wildcard team, maybe upset someone in the payoffs. But 2008 is the year of the Jets. This team needs its young players (mangold, ferguson) to reach their potential (which I think each will b pro-bowl calibar players in year 3) and get a treu nose tackle, another pass rusher from the OLB spot, and shore up the secondary. This team is going to be very good for very long time but were not there yet. But were 50 steps ahead of where we were last yr.

Non_Sequitur
03-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Something that's really frustrating is that, as soon as the Pats start to regress and the Jets start to catch up with a young, rising team, the Patriots have a monster offseason. Adalius will really help their D and theyve really given Brady some targets with Welker and Stallworth. All that is really really scaring me. So do you think we could catch up to the Patriots in the near future? I'd like to say yes, but I really don't think its realistic (at least for next season), although I still feel we're a playoff team. Discuss...

QB: Patriots
RB: Jets
WR: Jets
TE: Patriots
OL: Jets
DL: Patriots
LB: Patriots
DB: Patriots
KR: Jets
KC: Jets

We're not that far behind.

nyjets5125
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
the pats have had an amazing offseason, they had 3 major concerns heading into it

1. WR position-that was addressed when adding stallworth and welker, now they have those 2 plus chad jackson (if he recovers from his injury which i think was an ACL injury) and gaffney who had a strong year and caldwell who had a strong year but bad postseason, that is a deep and impressive WR corps.....even though ours can be better if we get rid of mccareins and get a #3 option
2. aging and declinging LB-they added a great pass rushing OLB in adalius thomas who is old but still hes an amazing player, and now there reportedly highly interested in ed hartwell
3. CB position- they resinged asante, now they could use another CB but there still set in the secondary

and plus they still have 2 first round picks....im kinda worried

josh07039
03-11-2007, 04:14 PM
My first bold prediction of the year. I'm not saying we can, I'm saying we will catch the Patriots.

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 04:47 PM
the pats have had an amazing offseason, they had 3 major concerns heading into it

1. WR position-that was addressed when adding stallworth and welker, now they have those 2 plus chad jackson (if he recovers from his injury which i think was an ACL injury) and gaffney who had a strong year and caldwell who had a strong year but bad postseason, that is a deep and impressive WR corps.....even though ours can be better if we get rid of mccareins and get a #3 option
2. aging and declinging LB-they added a great pass rushing OLB in adalius thomas who is old but still hes an amazing player, and now there reportedly highly interested in ed hartwell
3. CB position- they resinged asante, now they could use another CB but there still set in the secondary

and plus they still have 2 first round picks....im kinda worried

I know. They make all these great offsesaon moves and you would think they'd be in a bad draft situation. They aren't at all.

BroadwayJoe10
03-11-2007, 06:03 PM
my main annoyance about all this offseason talk is, and goes for everyone not just the pats...TJ looks like an amazing addition for us Kenyon Coleman looks kinda risky and for the pats Welker looks like the perfect slot player, stallworth looks like the perfect deep threat, and adalius thomas looks like the perfect "utility" do it all type of all pro player...however TJ could get hurt, Koleman could have a breakout year, stallworth could hurt his hamstring again or get stuck in detox lol the thing is we have no idea how these offseason moves are gonna pan out i still think we aren't so far behind and i beleive the loss of corey dillon is gonna hurt them more than people are letting on..but thats just what i think who knows whats gonna happen

Don Vito
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
You guys played us tough in the regular season last year, and you keep adding talent and drafting well. We'll see what happens in '07.

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 07:29 PM
You guys played us tough in the regular season last year, and you keep adding talent and drafting well. We'll see what happens in '07.

We were right in the playoff game up until that backwards pass.

Gang Green
03-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Patriots O-Line is so much better.

jetsfan3
03-11-2007, 07:36 PM

I agree, but ours will be very close to theirs in 3 years, especially if we draft a RT this year.

Young Nasty Man
03-11-2007, 08:33 PM

I also believe that because their O-line is better, Maroney has a slight edge over Thomas but hopefully im wrong

Johnny4
03-12-2007, 07:03 AM
The only things that can stop the Pats next year are injuries or if Brady has a few more baby mamma's. They are loaded.

frogstomp
03-12-2007, 12:32 PM
As of now? They are 2-3 wins better than us.

However, ask me again after the draft.

Jay
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM

Nice to see hopeless optimism run rampant in New York.

BroadwayJoe10
03-24-2007, 06:56 PM

its nice to see that as a pats fan, you still carry the same win-fed, overconfident attitude that 99% of you have shown since 2002...not only do you show zero class, which isn't much of a surprise, in coming to our forum and insulting the fans of our team but you dont offer a single constructive comment..if your gonna joins a man's conversation, leave the kiddie attitude for your own conversations..that having been said,if you took the time to take your head out of your ...well in keepin things civil, if you took the time to read some of the other posts than you would have noticed that not everyone merits the hopeless optimism that apparantly is running rampant in new york...great poster and our team leader frogstomp, comes out and says we are 2-3 wins behind you guys, gang green jetsfan3 and others all agreed that our O-line and running game, while improving, isn't as good as yours yet...not exactly a perfect portayal of that hopeless optimism you were so boastfully toating earlier huh..anyways all im saying is just make it constructive next time

and i will say don vito has always shown class in all the posts ive seen..so if anything bro he and the rest should be annoyed with you for ruining the teams reputation

El$anDollah
03-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Dude, BroadwayJoe just handed that guy his a**, and to comment Jets and the Pats aren'/ worlds apart.

SimonRath
03-24-2007, 08:57 PM
its nice to see that as a pats fan, you still carry the same win-fed, overconfident attitude that 99% of you have shown since 2002...not only do you show zero class, which isn't much of a surprise, in coming to our forum and insulting the fans of our team but you dont offer a single constructive comment..if your gonna joins a man's conversation, leave the kiddie attitude for your own conversations..that having been said,if you took the time to take your head out of your ...well in keepin things civil, if you took the time to read some of the other posts than you would have noticed that not everyone merits the hopeless optimism that apparantly is running rampant in new york...great poster and our team leader frogstomp, comes out and says we are 2-3 wins behind you guys, gang green jetsfan3 and others all agreed that our O-line and running game, while improving, isn't as good as yours yet...not exactly a perfect portayal of that hopeless optimism you were so boastfully toating earlier huh..anyways all im saying is just make it constructive next time

and i will say don vito has always shown class in all the posts ive seen..so if anything bro he and the rest should be annoyed with you for ruining the teams reputation

Dude you got balls... I gotta give you props

luckyjackaubrey
03-25-2007, 09:38 AM
Apologies to our rivals to the south. My brothren must not have had his morning coffee, he is usually quite civil. I cut my teeth on the Roughing the passer game of '76 so I know playoff heartache. My first in person game was a shutout loss to the Aints during the horrible McPherson years. I lived thru the Patriots sucking .

THat said I truly relish the Jets being a quality rival and look forward to the growth of your program. Mangini is a good coach and the best thing you have going for you is I don't think he is thinking " I gotta beat BIll", he is more concerned about long term improvement.

Keep the faith and here's to a spirited 2007.

frogstomp
03-25-2007, 09:08 PM

Seeing as you're using only one poster as your example, I suggest looking the word "rampant" up in the dictionary. Or else stop using words you don't know the meaning of.

Jay
03-25-2007, 10:32 PM

Aww, da poor babies!! Jets fans take pot shots at the Pats every chance they get, and when the tables turn, you cry? Come on now, surely you have thicker skin than that.

I would have loved to offer something more constructive, but why waste the words when I can sum it all up in one line? I look at that and I laugh. That's really all I can do. It's funny. I'll give you that Coles is the best WR out of the bunch, but that's about it. The TE's aren't even close. Let's pretend here, we'll say Coles is 1 and Cotchery is 3, Stallworth is 2 and the Pats easily have 4-7 (Watson, Welker, Caldwell)... actually, 8 Gaffney, shoot, I'd even put David Thomas ahead of anyone you have left on your roster.

Laurence Maroney was a better RB than Thomas Jones last year and there is no reason to believe he won't be the better back next year. I'd love to see that disputed. 4.3 yards per rush and 8.8 yards per catch vs. 4.1 and 4.3. 7 TD's vs. 6. And Maroney played in two less games. The rest of the guys are irrelevant. They wash out for all I care.

And no doubt, the Jets have some great, young lineman that will be some of the best for years to come, but the Pats have backups that could start for the Jets.

I'm not saying don't be confident about your team or that you have to be negative, because the Jets have clearly taken steps in the right direction. But the Pats are a significantly better team today than they were when they lost in the AFC Championship game by one dropped ball, and the Jets have basically improved one position since they lost 37-16 in the first round of the playoffs. On paper, which is what you guys are talking, let's be honest, that's not even close to enough. Because that is what the argument is, based on the teams both can field today, on paper, who is supposed to be better? Everything, across the board, points to the Patriots, and really, it's not that close in A LOT of areas. Maybe two years from now we can have a debate, but right now, there simply isn't one.

So is that meaty enough for you? Maybe you can put that on your forks and chew on it for a little while? Tastes like victory.

Jay
03-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Seeing as you're using only one poster as your example, I suggest looking the word "rampant" up in the dictionary. Or else stop using words you don't know the meaning of.

No, I used one poster in that response. There's a difference. If you would like me to quote everyone, I can.

hcbrad08
03-26-2007, 12:23 AM
Coles is 1 and Cotchery is 3, Stallworth is 2 and the Pats easily have 4-7 (Watson, Welker, Caldwell)...

IN 2006 Cotchery : 82 Rec 961 Yards Stallowrth: 38 Rec 725 Yards (Also injury prone and has character issues that have effected his play) so I don't think he's # 2 and name a play Stallworth has that could even compare to the catch Cotchery had against your Pats in Week 2. Also, Watson is a TE so in WR rankings he is the odd man out he' #1 in TE but can he pass block?

Laurence Maroney was a better RB than Thomas Jones last year and there is no reason to believe he won't be the better back next year. I'd love to see that disputed. 4.3 yards per rush and 8.8 yards per catch vs. 4.1 and 4.3. 7 TD's vs. 6. And Maroney played in two less games. The rest of the guys are irrelevant. They wash out for all I care.

Just so you know moron yard per rush wouldn't be affected if you missed any games and you want to see that argued, how about the fact that every team that playted the Bears last year keyed in and tried to stop Thomas Jones because Rex Grossman sucks. AND Maroney split time and still got hurt, are you worried about his durability? he's 5-11 220 he shouldn't go down that easily.

And no doubt, the Jets have some great, young lineman that will be some of the best for years to come, but the Pats have backups that could start for the Jets.

Britt, Bubin, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Yates, and O'Callaghan were those the names you forgot to mention..none could start on the Jets...Brick is better than Light and Kaczur (Jason taylor had 2 FF against the Pats and none against the Jets)...Pete Kendall is more experienced than any OG you have and would start on the Pats...Mangold is a beast and there is no argument that he would f@#$ Dan Koppen up...Moore is a strong OG and is getting better every year. Clement is HUGE but is the weak point in our line then Moore. Overall your Offense was more well rounded last year and kept teams from keying in on one aspect of your line, now we wont have that problem bc of Jones...Also I'm willing to bet that when you said there are backups on the Pats who could play for the Jets you didn't even know all 5 of our starters or all of your backups.

The Pats are a significantly better team today than they were when they lost in the AFC Championship game by one dropped ball,

Stop whining I thought you'd have thicker skin than that...That's why you play the game you guys blew that lead so badly and deserved to lose that game the 2 dropped passes aside.

The Jets have basically improved one position since they lost 37-16 in the first round of the playoffs.

That game was much closer than the score you pointed out...if we scored on that botched lateral drive we could have won... We had no running game (now we do) to stop them from jumping the screen pass(which was essentially our running game)and at the end we were pressing and the Pats padded the score in garbage time...We lost and will see you next year AND I guarantee you wont get something that easy ever again from us...

On paper, which is what you guys are talking, let's be honest, that's not even close to enough. Because that is what the argument is, based on the teams both can field today, on paper, who is supposed to be better? Everything, across the board, points to the Patriots, and really, it's not that close in A LOT of areas.

ON PAPER your overall team is old as hell and needs a lot of help for the future (except your DL) Wait for the draft and then make your judgments... Also if I were you "Jay" I would look at the signs and have some foresight.. Belichick is spending money he never spent before to try and win now...Next year his dream job The NY Giants HC position will be open and they will give him GM control....Belichick will leave you like his mentor Bill parcells left every franchise he coached with a cap problem and OLD players (with honorable exception to the Pats DL: however no way they keep them with FA and the money they'll command without Belichick) The Jets are in it for the long haul and the Pats are overpaying for 30 year old FA LBs with 5 year contracts with 20 million dollars in guarantees...

So is that meaty enough for you? Maybe you can put that on your forks and chew on it for a little while? Tastes like victory.

Chew on what? A game hasn't been played yet...The front office of the Pats is classless ie Belichick and so are Pats fans you are sore winners and worse losers you come into our forum and try to rub the past few years in our face well it just proves my point that Boston that extends to all of MA just has that huge inferiority complex in relation to NY. Be careful Pats fan, in the Jets Forum all are acoutable for their words even messengers, just like in Sparta...Go back to your own forum and suck a d!ck no ****.

frogstomp
03-26-2007, 12:26 AM
No, I used one poster in that response. There's a difference. If you would like me to quote everyone, I can.

Seeing as people who think we will be even with the Pats next year are in the *extreme* minority, you still misused the word. Jackass.

Oh, keep negative repping me, you took me down... what... maybe 1 point? Ha.

*Edit

Oh, and a lot of your arguments are bull. You bring up YPC when you're arguing for a change of pace back vs a full time back? And considering one plays on a team with Brady, and the other played on a team with Grossman...

As for the playoffs, it was a) one game, and b) close until a crap play. Why don't we bring up the game you lost to us? Oh wait, then you'll say it was "one game" and "lucky."

Jay
03-26-2007, 08:04 AM
IN 2006 Cotchery : 82 Rec 961 Yards Stallowrth: 38 Rec 725 Yards (Also injury prone and has character issues that have effected his play) so I don't think he's # 2 and name a play Stallworth has that could even compare to the catch Cotchery had against your Pats in Week 2. Also, Watson is a TE so in WR rankings he is the odd man out he' #1 in TE but can he pass block?

But we're talking about on paper right? Thomas Jones can choke on a hambone and die tomorrow. Big deal. On paper, Donte Stallworth is very clearly better than Jericho Cotchery. If you project out the stats Stallworth could have had for the four games he missed, he'd have more TD's and more yards in less catches, the definition of being better. And now, he gets to catch the ball from Tom Brady instead of Jeff Garcia.

And last time I checked, Ben Watson catches the ball. So amongst the receivers, he's better then everyone after your top two.

Just so you know moron yard per rush wouldn't be affected if you missed any games and you want to see that argued,

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!

Where did I say it would again?

how about the fact that every team that playted the Bears last year keyed in and tried to stop Thomas Jones because Rex Grossman sucks. AND Maroney split time and still got hurt, are you worried about his durability? he's 5-11 220 he shouldn't go down that easily.

No, I am not worried about his durability. Not in the slightest. He could have played. That was just Belichick being Belichick. He could have been used much more too. But he wasn't. Because he didn't need to be. We were THAT damn good.

Britt, Bubin, Hochstein, Mruczkowski, Yates, and O'Callaghan were those the names you forgot to mention..none could start on the Jets...[/QUOTE]

No, just Hochstein and O'Callahan, and yes, both could start on the Jets.

Brick is better than Light and Kaczur (Jason taylor had 2 FF against the Pats and none against the Jets)...Pete Kendall is more experienced than any OG you have and would start on the Pats...Mangold is a beast and there is no argument that he would f@#$ Dan Koppen up...Moore is a strong OG and is getting better every year. Clement is HUGE but is the weak point in our line then Moore. Overall your Offense was more well rounded last year and kept teams from keying in on one aspect of your line, now we wont have that problem bc of Jones...Also I'm willing to bet that when you said there are backups on the Pats who could play for the Jets you didn't even know all 5 of our starters or all of your backups.

Oh really? That's not what the stats say. (http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol2006.php)

Pats sacks allowed: 36
Jets sacks allowed: 49

Pass Block Rankings:

Pats #13
Jets #17

Run Block rankings:

Pats #11
Jets #25

But I concur.

Stop whining I thought you'd have thicker skin than that...That's why you play the game you guys blew that lead so badly and deserved to lose that game the 2 dropped passes aside.

That shows how much you know about football. Let's see, the Pats scored to go up 21-3, then the Colts closed out the half with a score to make it 20-6. Then, since the Pats got the kickoff to start the game, by NFL rule, the other team gets to start the half with the ball, not sure if you knew that, but anyway, so the Colts got the ball and scored a TD. 21-13. So yeah, we REALLY blew that one. Didn't even have a chance to touch the ball, so we clearly blew it. I mean, blowing a one TD game to the Colts is BRUTAL. But again, if Reche Caldwell catches one simple, easy ball, we're talking about the game the Patriots played in the Super Bowl. That simple.

That game was much closer than the score you pointed out...if we scored on that botched lateral drive we could have won... We had no running game (now we do) to stop them from jumping the screen pass(which was essentially our running game)and at the end we were pressing and the Pats padded the score in garbage time...We lost and will see you next year AND I guarantee you wont get something that easy ever again from us...

Waaah. Could have, would have, should have. It's funny how you pull the "Game was closer than the score" card, and then make the comment you made above. But hey, that's just the way you people operate in these parts I guess.

But yeah, considering the only game the Jets have won against the Pats in the last four years (1-8, 3-10 all the way back to 2001) was determined by a guy fumbling the football in his last play in a Patriots uniform, you can go ahead and act cocky all you want.

ON PAPER your overall team is old as hell and needs a lot of help for the future (except your DL) Wait for the draft and then make your judgments...

Oh really?!?!?!? Hahahaha. Do some more research on that one and get back to me. Hahahahaha...

Also if I were you "Jay" I would look at the signs and have some foresight.. Belichick is spending money he never spent before to try and win now...

HE IS?!?! Belichick is spending all that money??? Shoot, all this time I thought Scott Pioli handled all that. Thanks for filling me in dude!

Next year his dream job The NY Giants HC position will be open and they will give him GM control....Belichick will leave you like his mentor Bill parcells left every franchise he coached

Did he tell you that? Because that sounds like speculation to me. Unless your name is Yoda and sense the future you can, I don't really think you're qualified to make that assessment.

with a cap problem and OLD players (with honorable exception to the Pats DL: however no way they keep them with FA and the money they'll command without Belichick) The Jets are in it for the long haul and the Pats are overpaying for 30 year old FA LBs with 5 year contracts with 20 million dollars in guarantees...

Haha, showing your ass yet again. The Pats overpayed for NOOOOO ONEEEE this offseason. Do some research. Donte Stallworth, essentially, one year contract. Kelley Washington, same thing. Wes Welker, due to the trade, very cheap contract instead of having to pay him more so the Dolphins wouldn't match. Adalius Thomas... got offered MORE to play for the 49ers, and look at his base salaries, very easy to get rid of that contract at minimal damage.

Oh and speaking of the long haul, you might want to check in on your ages again. The Pats have 40 guys on the roster born in the 80's, the Jets have 42. The Pats also have 17 guys born 77-79, making them under 30, and the Jets have 15. Yeah, looks pretty close to me. So I really don't see where you're going with that...

Chew on what? A game hasn't been played yet...The front office of the Pats is classless ie Belichick and so are Pats fans you are sore winners and worse losers you come into our forum and try to rub the past few years in our face well it just proves my point that Boston that extends to all of MA just has that huge inferiority complex in relation to NY. Be careful Pats fan, in the Jets Forum all are acoutable for their words even messengers, just like in Sparta...Go back to your own forum and suck a d!ck no ****.

You talk about classlessness, and then say something like "suck a d!ck no ****." Because clearly, you blowing up with your diarrhea of the mouth over what is nothing more than the reality of the situation was clearly warranted. Way to go hotshot!!

And no, I am not trying to rub anything in your face. I am just speaking in terms of reality. It was OK for you and your butt boys to go "yee haw, we done gone got em now!! We gots erselves a real running back now!" and act like all of a sudden that's going to make up two games in the loss column when the Patriots clearly improved several positions and were already better than you. Clearly better. Look, I wouldn't have said anything if the tone of this thread was optimism and not yahooism, because really, the preseason is a time of hope and want for the rest of the AFC East, and I don't want to ruin that for you. But give me a break. You guys talked **** the entire week leading up to the playoff game and then said nothing when it was over. Boo hoo.

You're absolutely right, anything can happen on the field next year. A 757 could crash on top of Tom Brady's house for all we know. Then, yeah, you guys would have a real legit chance of passing the Pats! I agree. But since your games haven't been played, and our games haven't been played, we're going to have to base everything on the teams on paper. And the team the Pats have on paper, right now, for next year, is much better, across the board, than the Jets. Just to play along, we'll say that at worst, the two teams are even at RB and WR and I'll even do you a solid and say you're not that far off on the OLine, because the stats clearly show you're not better. You still don't stack up anywhere else. Unless you count punter. Your punter may be better.

But I digress.

Jay
03-26-2007, 08:14 AM
Seeing as people who think we will be even with the Pats next year are in the *extreme* minority, you still misused the word. Jackass.

Not really, it looks about even to me. It's still enough. But really, you're arguing about a word being used. I mean, that's pretty pathetic.

Oh, keep negative repping me, you took me down... what... maybe 1 point? Ha.

Like I give a crap. I'd bring up you doing the same if popularity contests meant anything to me. But they don't. So I could care less if your little buddies give you a pat on the head and tell you good job every time you make a five word reply.

Oh, and a lot of your arguments are bull. You bring up YPC when you're arguing for a change of pace back vs a full time back? And considering one plays on a team with Brady, and the other played on a team with Grossman...

Thomas Jones was hardly a full time back. Cedric Benson had 157 carries. Both Pats RB's only had 199 and 157. That offense was clearly centered around the run. And Laurence Maroney only had 22 less carries than Corey Dillon, and missed two games. He wasn't a change of pace, he were evenly used.

As for the playoffs, it was a) one game, and b) close until a crap play. Why don't we bring up the game you lost to us? Oh wait, then you'll say it was "one game" and "lucky."

The game we lost to you is one of the last nine and was the first time the Jets beat the Patriots in like, four years. So it clearly is better construed as "lucky" and "one game." Doug Gabriel has the ball inside the 20 and nonchalantly drops it on the ground instead of taking one more step out of bounds and the Jets recover. At worst, we kick a field goal there and the score ends up 17-17 and we go from there. But hey, it happened, and in the grand scheme of things, I guess this just means we can't go 6-0 against the AFC east every year. Oh well. The difference between that game for me and you is that for you, it's a signature win, for me, it's a blip on the radar screen.

Oh well...

frogstomp
03-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Not really, it looks about even to me. It's still enough. But really, you're arguing about a word being used. I mean, that's pretty pathetic.

Like I give a crap. I'd bring up you doing the same if popularity contests meant anything to me. But they don't. So I could care less if your little buddies give you a pat on the head and tell you good job every time you make a five word reply.

Thomas Jones was hardly a full time back. Cedric Benson had 157 carries. Both Pats RB's only had 199 and 157. That offense was clearly centered around the run. And Laurence Maroney only had 22 less carries than Corey Dillon, and missed two games. He wasn't a change of pace, he were evenly used.

The game we lost to you is one of the last nine and was the first time the Jets beat the Patriots in like, four years. So it clearly is better construed as "lucky" and "one game." Doug Gabriel has the ball inside the 20 and nonchalantly drops it on the ground instead of taking one more step out of bounds and the Jets recover. At worst, we kick a field goal there and the score ends up 17-17 and we go from there. But hey, it happened, and in the grand scheme of things, I guess this just means we can't go 6-0 against the AFC east every year. Oh well. The difference between that game for me and you is that for you, it's a signature win, for me, it's a blip on the radar screen.

Oh well...

How does it look like it's even? I've seen maybe two posters that think we will be even with you. You also seem to make a trend of using "big" words incorrectly, as you did with "concur" in your post before this one.

They don't mean anything to you... but you took the time to -rep me back... hmm...

Jones had 296 carries. That's over 100 more carries than Maroney. You're a complete idiot.

Wow, we played you 9 times last year? Wait, it was only 3 times, so the other 6 games are completely irrelevant... and both of the regular season games were close. I could make an argument about us winning the first just as you could make one about you winning the second. You're a naive jackass if you didn't think that both games could easily go either way... which means we are, in fact, good competition and closer to the Pats than you would think.

If it's a blip on your radar screen and a signature win for me, then why do you seem to remember the game in more detail than I do?

Jay
03-26-2007, 11:26 AM
Jones had 296 carries. That's over 100 more carries than Maroney. You're a complete idiot.

Where is the relevance or correlation? You implied that Maroney was a "change of pace" back when he only had about 20 less carries than the "starter," while saying that Jones was this clear cut #1. But the truth of the matter is that Maroney was every bit a feature back as Dillon, and Jones split the load about 60/40 with Benson. 50/50 vs. 60/40. Big-f'ing-deal.

Wow, we played you 9 times last year? Wait, it was only 3 times, so the other 6 games are completely irrelevant... and both of the regular season games were close. I could make an argument about us winning the first just as you could make one about you winning the second. You're a naive jackass if you didn't think that both games could easily go either way... which means we are, in fact, good competition and closer to the Pats than you would think.

OK, then by that logic, I never want to hear the 26 > 6 logic from a Yankee fan. If all that matters is the here and now. Get real.

But you are right, the Jets are good competition for the Pats. I've never denied that. But in your own words, the Jets are still 2-3 games behind the Pats. And I concur. (oh my, note the obvious sarcasm since you couldn't the first time around)

If it's a blip on your radar screen and a signature win for me, then why do you seem to remember the game in more detail than I do?

Fact of the matter is, in the last nine games played, you've won just once. So yes, it is a blip on my radar screen. And if remembering one play means I remember more detail than you do, then it sounds like you've got some problems there buddy.

frogstomp
03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
Where is the relevance or correlation? You implied that Maroney was a "change of pace" back when he only had about 20 less carries than the "starter," while saying that Jones was this clear cut #1. But the truth of the matter is that Maroney was every bit a feature back as Dillon, and Jones split the load about 60/40 with Benson. 50/50 vs. 60/40. Big-f'ing-deal.

OK, then by that logic, I never want to hear the 26 > 6 logic from a Yankee fan. If all that matters is the here and now. Get real.

But you are right, the Jets are good competition for the Pats. I've never denied that. But in your own words, the Jets are still 2-3 games behind the Pats. And I concur. (oh my, note the obvious sarcasm since you couldn't the first time around)

Fact of the matter is, in the last nine games played, you've won just once. So yes, it is a blip on my radar screen. And if remembering one play means I remember more detail than you do, then it sounds like you've got some problems there buddy.

How the hell can you not see that Thomas Jones was much more of a "feature back" than Maroney? He had *140* more carries than Benson. Hell, he had almost as many more carries than Benson as Maroney had total carries. Stop simply spewing out incorrect facts, and then trying to base arguments off of them.

How does the Jets team from two years ago, with 3rd and 4th string QB's starting for them have anything to do with the Jets this year? I don't care how many games you won against us 3 seasons ago, it's completely irrelevant to the upcoming season. It isn't that hard to understand.

I never argued the Jets were better than the Pats. I simply said most of your arguments for the Pats are idiotic. I also disagreed with the fact that "hopeless optimism runs rampant" through Jets fans... especially when only one or two think we are even with you.

I have problems because I don't apparently vividly remember things that don't matter to me? My god, you most be one of those idiot savants. What did you have for breakfast 3 years ago to this day?

Anyways, I was just actually looking over your O-Line stats, and if Maroney is as good as you say he is, then of course their O-line should look better for run-blocking, seeing as we had a change of pace back starting. As for sacks, Brady is one of the toughest QB's in the NFL to sack, according to JT, anyways. I love Penny, but he holds on to the ball.

jetsfan3
03-26-2007, 02:15 PM
they lost in the AFC Championship game by one dropped ball

Don't forget how they got there.

Jay
03-26-2007, 03:13 PM
How the hell can you not see that Thomas Jones was much more of a "feature back" than Maroney? He had *140* more carries than Benson. Hell, he had almost as many more carries than Benson as Maroney had total carries. Stop simply spewing out incorrect facts, and then trying to base arguments off of them.

Who cares if he was "more of a feature back." You called Laurence Maroney a "change of pace" back. My argument was that he wasn't, and that Thomas Jones was hardly a "feature back."

How does the Jets team from two years ago, with 3rd and 4th string QB's starting for them have anything to do with the Jets this year? I don't care how many games you won against us 3 seasons ago, it's completely irrelevant to the upcoming season. It isn't that hard to understand. Ladanian Tomlinson was a feature back, with 348 carries and to Turners 80. Larry Johnson was a feature back with 416 carries vs. Bennetts 36.

296 to 157 is pretty much 60/40. Thomas Jones was the starter, Cedric Benson was the relief. Let's just pretend here, Laurence Maroney doesn't miss two games, the Pats do everything the same, and all he does is run the ball five times in each game, thus taking five carries away from Corey Dillon. That puts it at 189 vs 184. So realistically, you're assbackwards calling Maroney a "change of pace," because even if you were using the term correctly, Dillon would have been the "change of pace." And Maroney handled kickoffs too (second in the NFL in YPR).

And not only that, but Maroney scored more TD's then your "featured back" as a "change of pace."

So I stand by my statement that I believe Maroney was a better player last year and will be the better player next year. And I also stand by saying that it's close.

I never argued the Jets were better than the Pats. I simply said most of your arguments for the Pats are idiotic. I also disagreed with the fact that "hopeless optimism runs rampant" through Jets fans... especially when only one or two think we are even with you.

Your math is a little off. My very quick count says 5, which is about half the Jets posters in this thread. But now we're just going to argue semantics and who really meant what, which I really don't care about any more to be honest, so I digress...

I have problems because I don't apparently vividly remember things that don't matter to me? My god, you most be one of those idiot savants. What did you have for breakfast 3 years ago to this day?

Yeah, I'm going to go with nice try. Because this is what I said to prompt this response:

And if remembering one play means I remember more detail than you do, then it sounds like you've got some problems there buddy

So save the dramatics. I know you just wanted to get your "idiot savant" slam in, so more power to you for that. Way to stick it to me with all the name calling.

Anyways, I was just actually looking over your O-Line stats, and if Maroney is as good as you say he is, then of course their O-line should look better for run-blocking, seeing as we had a change of pace back starting. As for sacks, Brady is one of the toughest QB's in the NFL to sack, according to JT, anyways. I love Penny, but he holds on to the ball.

It's always something isn't it?

frogstomp
03-26-2007, 04:07 PM
Who cares if he was "more of a feature back." You called Laurence Maroney a "change of pace" back. My argument was that he wasn't, and that Thomas Jones was hardly a "feature back."

How does the Jets team from two years ago, with 3rd and 4th string QB's starting for them have anything to do with the Jets this year? I don't care how many games you won against us 3 seasons ago, it's completely irrelevant to the upcoming season. It isn't that hard to understand. Ladanian Tomlinson was a feature back, with 348 carries and to Turners 80. Larry Johnson was a feature back with 416 carries vs. Bennetts 36.

296 to 157 is pretty much 60/40. Thomas Jones was the starter, Cedric Benson was the relief. Let's just pretend here, Laurence Maroney doesn't miss two games, the Pats do everything the same, and all he does is run the ball five times in each game, thus taking five carries away from Corey Dillon. That puts it at 189 vs 184. So realistically, you're assbackwards calling Maroney a "change of pace," because even if you were using the term correctly, Dillon would have been the "change of pace." And Maroney handled kickoffs too (second in the NFL in YPR).

And not only that, but Maroney scored more TD's then your "featured back" as a "change of pace."

So I stand by my statement that I believe Maroney was a better player last year and will be the better player next year. And I also stand by saying that it's close.

Your math is a little off. My very quick count says 5, which is about half the Jets posters in this thread. But now we're just going to argue semantics and who really meant what, which I really don't care about any more to be honest, so I digress...

Yeah, I'm going to go with nice try. Because this is what I said to prompt this response:

And if remembering one play means I remember more detail than you do, then it sounds like you've got some problems there buddy

So save the dramatics. I know you just wanted to get your "idiot savant" slam in, so more power to you for that. Way to stick it to me with all the name calling.

It's always something isn't it?

a) Thomas Jones: Let's say the Bears didn't run away with the NFC North title, then he would have actually played the last two games. Giving him another 30-40 carries, and Benson 30-40 carries less. Wait, that's arguing over crap that didn't happen, and is thereby complete speculation, and a waste of my time.

b) Maroney was on a better offense, and TJ wasn't really used at all on the goal line. TD's are such a hard stat to judge someone by, because anyone can be given goalline carries, and any moderately intelligent person knows that.

c) There were two people that said we're better than you, and one of those were from a "bold prediction", which is usually labelled a bold prediction because they know it has a high chance of turning out wrong.

d) I barely remember that game at all, as I was with about 10 of my buddies while I was watching it. I know we won, but couldn't really recall any single play. You, on the other hand, seem to remember the Gabriel play pretty well for something you have tried to say multiple times you "don't care about."

Anyways, this is pointless, thanks for ruining our thread.

hcbrad08
03-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Jay... I think your thoughts on Maroney's injury have been proven 100% wrong by Scouts.com amongst thousands of others...

"Maroney has "significant damage" according to the report that cites a league source.

The revelation doesn't bode well for New England's offense, which saw the release of veteran Corey Dillon in early March. Although the team acquired free agent Sammy Morris, re-signed fullback Heath Evans and still has Kevin Faulk on the roster, losing Maroney would be a big blow to the Patriots' hopes of establishing Maroney as their feature back."

you aren't worried about Maroney's ability to stay healthy? Well you know a lot then

1) go away
2) stop saying we think the Jets are better than the Pats
-bc while we will argue for the Jets being better than they were and are closing the gap they are not as good as the Pats who have the best coach in the lague and have signed some of the best FAs this year. (when I say we can beat you, i'm waiting for the day when the Pats go down)
3) your analysis is just annoying stop ruining a forum and go back to your own forum or should I say the planet Apatros.

gio
03-28-2007, 04:58 PM
i agree, i dont feel we are there yet with the pats, but 2 more years, maybe in 08, and we should have surpassed them...

El$anDollah
03-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Its easy to forget that the Jets are still rebuilding. The Pats and the Jets are in 2 different situations. The Pats should have gone to the SB and their in a "Win Now" state. The Jets, on paper, is a less talented team that won a few to many games. The Jets have to focus on getting the talent level high so they can compete with the Pats.

hcbrad08
03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
FROGSTOMP can we delete and re create this forum or just delete Darth Bane's posts please?

frogstomp
03-29-2007, 10:40 PM
FROGSTOMP can we delete and re create this forum or just delete Darth Bane's posts please?

Meh, he's not saying anything anymore, so we're good. If it really bothers you I can edit the argument out so it says nothing, but I don't think it really needs that.

Non_Sequitur
03-29-2007, 10:55 PM

Or you could just ignore him.

hcbrad08
03-30-2007, 04:02 PM
It doesn't bother me, I was just driving the point home...
Thanks for responding (what a Good GM does)