PDA

View Full Version : Jim Bates out as Bucs D coordinator

bigbuc
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
I got the info from PFT.com.... on my iPhone right now.... Morris will be putting back in the Tampa 2. It's not going to matter, but I'm still happy. Bates is washed up.

vikes_28
11-23-2009, 11:33 PM
This is a great topic...for your team's forum.

CC.SD
11-23-2009, 11:35 PM
It is worthy of the NFL forum because I believe now the Bucs have fired their O and D coordinators during the season, and that makes them an embarrassment to the entire NFL

bigbuc
11-23-2009, 11:38 PM
That's why I put in here... Don't you think it's a joke that a first year HC let's his OC and now DC go before the season is over.

wordofi
11-23-2009, 11:40 PM
That's why I put in here... Don't you think it's a joke that a first year HC let's his OC and now DC go before the season is over.

We all know the NFL stands for "Not For Long," and this is another example. Anyways, the Buccaneers need to go back to the tampa 2 because of their personnel.

CC.SD
11-23-2009, 11:42 PM
We all know the NFL stands for "Not For Long," and this is another example. Anyways, the Buccaneers need to go back to the tampa 2 because of their personnel.

No they need to update their personnel, and are kinda sorta on their way. I view shipping out Gaines Adams, a player who can develop into a perfect Tampa 2 DE, after only a year, and locking the doors on Derrick Brooks is a sign that they are on their way.

diabsoule
11-24-2009, 01:38 AM
I remember when I loved Jim Bates as Miami's DC years ago. Since then he has not landed in situations that are ideal for him.

BUC backer
11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
No they need to update their personnel, and are kinda sorta on their way. I view shipping out Gaines Adams, a player who can develop into a perfect Tampa 2 DE, after only a year, and locking the doors on Derrick Brooks is a sign that they are on their way.

Gaines was in his third year here. He was a supposed fit for the T2 and a supposed fit for Bates yet he underachieved and we were able to get good value for him. IMO that's why he's gone.

As far as this move goes I'm mixed. I never liked Bates and when people said that certain people didn't fit his scheme (Gerald McCoy) I questioned that he'd even be back.

That said he certainly didn't have the time or ammo to put his scheme in place, but one would hope that the scheme would be altered to fit the players.

nepg
11-24-2009, 12:34 PM
Bates will end up being a great consultant for someone. Definitely could see him landing in Buffalo if Shanny goes there as Shanny will likely bring Jeremy Bates along to be the OC and future HC.

Definitely would love for him to come to New England or KC in the role that Dom Capers had for the Pats.

Iamcanadian
11-24-2009, 03:26 PM

Why would it be a joke. The HC usually gets to pick his OC and DC, instead the GM probably decided for him but with their terrible start Morris just kept asking for his own choices. He obviously didn't get along with either so it shouldn't be surprising that they are gone. There has to be one coach who has real power over his coordinators, the final say in everything about the team, you cannot have coordinators and a HC who are pulling in different directions. Far better to make the changes now and create an atmosphere where everybody is on the same page long before next season rolls around.

Loggerhead
11-25-2009, 02:24 AM
It certainly shows a lack of foresight when both of your coordinators are canned before the end of your first year. If I am an offensive or defenisive coordinator I would certainly not want to come to Tampa when this coach doesn't even give people a fule year to implement their systems. The decision to go back to the Tampa 2 reeks of desperation on Morris's part. Why go through a offseason of transitioning to Jim Bates 2 gap scheme than scrap it in the middle of the season? That just does not make sense. It reminds me of Buffalo's decision to fire Turk Schonert before the start of the season. Their offense has averaged all of 15 points per game and not had 300 yards in 8 of their last 9. In my opinion you have to give your coordinators time to impliment time to implement their systems. To not do so reeks of stupidity.

bigbuc
11-25-2009, 03:06 PM
Why would it be a joke. The HC usually gets to pick his OC and DC, instead the GM probably decided for him but with their terrible start Morris just kept asking for his own choices. He obviously didn't get along with either so it shouldn't be surprising that they are gone. There has to be one coach who has real power over his coordinators, the final say in everything about the team, you cannot have coordinators and a HC who are pulling in different directions. Far better to make the changes now and create an atmosphere where everybody is on the same page long before next season rolls around.

It's a joke because the first year head coach ( Morris ) got to hand pick HIS guys. He picked JJ and Bates. Let one go ten days before the season and then let the other one go ten games into the season. You must not be a bucs fan because if you were you would know that Morris has said a lot that there going to stick to there "plan" and now he's making it up on the fly. I have never seen in all my years of watching football a head coach fire is OC and DC before the season is over. I'm happy that Morris did fire Bates because now it's on him. If the team looks better on D and shows some progress, great he's around for next year... but if they don't for the next six games. Morris will be with JJ and Bates in the unemployment line.

Gay Ork Wang
11-25-2009, 03:07 PM
the bucs have fired more Coordinators than they have wins