PDA

View Full Version : What happend to Joe McKnight??

FUNBUNCHER
11-25-2009, 12:05 PM
He's draft eligible and I haven't heard anything about him returning for his senior year.
Nobody's talking about him, I mean, AT ALL!! No discussion about how McKnight has fallen short of expectations, comparisons between him and other similar prospects, no projections about his pro prospects.

SO where do you guys fall on McKnight's pro prospects??

Will he be a steal for someone, or an afterthought come draft day??

RaiderNation
11-25-2009, 12:27 PM
2nd-4th round pick. Should stay for senior season

tjsunstein
11-25-2009, 12:30 PM
Definitely should stay for senior season. I don't really think he's a 2nd rounder at this point. I'd say mid 3rd-early 5th.

D-Unit
11-25-2009, 12:34 PM
He's draft eligible and I haven't heard anything about him returning for his senior year.
Nobody's talking about him, I mean, AT ALL!! No discussion about how McKnight has fallen short of expectations, comparisons between him and other similar prospects, no projections about his pro prospects.

SO where do you guys fall on McKnight's pro prospects??

Will he be a steal for someone, or an afterthought come draft day??
A lot of people think he'll be better than Reggie Bush in the NFL. ...and that ain't bad. Anybody heard of him wanting to declare?

SuperKevin
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
I love Joe McKnight. I don't know if it's a result of a stronger OL but he runs better between the tackles than Reggie Bush did.

bigbuc
11-25-2009, 12:36 PM
If he comes out, he would be a great pick in the 3rd to 4th... like Leon Washington.

Day One Pick
11-25-2009, 12:38 PM
I've not seen him ranked anywhere as a 1st rounder, but I have seen him in the top 50 by a few people.

Babylon
11-25-2009, 01:16 PM
He needs to stay at Florida and actually accomplish something before he's viewed as an NFL player. Better question to me is what has happened to that stable of RBs at USC? McNight is gone, Stafon Johnson is hurt, Marc Tyler is MIA.....

soybean
11-25-2009, 01:42 PM
He needs to stay at Florida and actually accomplish something before he's viewed as an NFL player. Better question to me is what has happened to that stable of RBs at USC? McNight is gone, Stafon Johnson is hurt, Marc Tyler is MIA.....

are you talking about moody?

Hurricanes25
11-25-2009, 01:45 PM
I don't think he would be anything more than a situational back in the NFL so imo, he is a mid round pick. His speed will probabaly get him picked higher than he deserves but hey, speed kills.

FUNBUNCHER
11-25-2009, 01:58 PM
I keep reading McKnight isn't even 195 lbs. Although he has elite open field run skills, his pure speed is a big mystery to me.

Sometimes I think he's one of those guys who's more quick than fast, like former Seminole and Bengals WR Peter Warrick.

I'm a little skeptical if he's even capable of running a 4.45 or faster.

McKnight is having a decent year, he's just not the RB I thought he would be going to USC.

CC.SD
11-25-2009, 02:16 PM
He will probably come back. He would be a terrific 3rd round pickup right now though.

Babylon
11-25-2009, 02:33 PM
are you talking about moody?

My bad, i need Turkey

will99890
11-25-2009, 02:48 PM
My bad, i need Turkey

hahah wow, dont we all

FUNBUNCHER
11-25-2009, 03:27 PM
A lot of people think he'll be better than Reggie Bush in the NFL. ...and that ain't bad. Anybody heard of him wanting to declare?

I read somewhere that McKnight was wearing eye black tape during a game his frosh year that read, " I need $", which I took to be a HUGE clue he's gone after this season.
I know it's not lock solid evidence, but perceived uber talents like McKnight really see no reason to stay past their junior

D-Unit
11-25-2009, 04:00 PM
I keep reading McKnight isn't even 195 lbs. Although he has elite open field run skills, his pure speed is a big mystery to me.

Sometimes I think he's one of those guys who's more quick than fast, like former Seminole and Bengals WR Peter Warrick.

I'm a little skeptical if he's even capable of running a 4.45 or faster.

McKnight is having a decent year, he's just not the RB I thought he would be going to USC.
So you created this thread not to guage opinions on a guy who hasn't even declared yet, but rather tell everyone how much of a bust you think he'll be... mmk. *shrug*

D-Unit
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I read somewhere that McKnight was wearing eye black tape during a game his frosh year that read, " I need $", which I took to be a HUGE clue he's gone after this season.
I know it's not lock solid evidence, but perceived uber talents like McKnight really see no reason to stay past their junior
Fact is, he's not perceived to be an uber talent... unless you throw that word around lightly. Just because he was ranked the #1 HS recruit doesn't mean much when you're talking about NFL prospects. If that's the basis for your case then you need to reanalyze your logic.

FUNBUNCHER
11-25-2009, 04:33 PM
D-Unit, if I thought McKnight was a bust, (which based on expectations as a collegian, he has yet to meet that high bar), I would call him so.

I've seen the Trojans play 3 times this year, so McKnight is really a big question mark for me.

I'm not down on him, but when you explore threads on SWDC, he's a player whose name I rarely see in any discussions about potential pro prospects at RB.
I acknowledged he's having a decent year running the ball, (over 900 yards rushing and over 5 yards/carry), I just wonder why when guys like Spiller and Devine have their own threads leading up to the draft, few people have done the same for McKnight.

All I wanted to find out is if he's considered overrated or underrated, and if anyone has a more detailed opinion about him??

GhostDeini
11-25-2009, 04:44 PM
McKnight is not built like a RB. He would've been a WR anywhere else if he didn't get brainwashed into thinking he'd be the next Reggie Bust for USC.

And somebody brought up all those 5 star players they have brought in over the years but where are they ?????? I don't see them anywhere.

USC alone is making Rivals.com look like they don't know what the hell they're doing over there.

soybean
11-25-2009, 08:33 PM
My bad, i need Turkey

Moody was actually my favorite runningback of the bunch. He ran with power, elusiveness and had decent speed. He always seemed to break off a long run at least once a game. He wasn't afraid to truck defenders either though.

The main problem with him was he had a fumbling and ball security problem.

I think he was a decent prospect, though. SHould have chose somewhere else to play and not let people brainwash him.

soybean
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM
McKnight is not built like a RB. He would've been a WR anywhere else if he didn't get brainwashed into thinking he'd be the next Reggie Bust for USC.

And somebody brought up all those 5 star players they have brought in over the years but where are they ?????? I don't see them anywhere.

USC alone is making Rivals.com look like they don't know what the hell they're doing over there.

Starting Guard for the Cardinals
Starting Linebacker for the Bengals
Second String Tightend for the Redskins
Starting LB for the Bengals
Starting QB for the Jets

I don't think that's too bad. The rest are in school.

Some are struggling or out of the league but it's too be expected, can't hit on all of them.

Sniper
11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
Starting Guard for the Cardinals
Starting Linebacker for the Bengals
Second String Tightend for the Redskins
Starting LB for the Bengals
Starting QB for the Jets

I don't think that's too bad. The rest are in school.

Some are struggling or out of the league but it's too be expected, can't hit on all of them.

Brian Cushing's doing pretty well, too.

D-Unit
11-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Brian Cushing's doing pretty well, too.
Yeah Clay Matthews says Hi.

Kevin Ellison starts for the Chargers. Kaluka Maiava starts for the Browns. Fili Moala plays for the Colts.

Man... USC really just sends busts to the NFL. :rolleyes:

Sniper
11-25-2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah Clay Matthews says Hi.

Kevin Ellison starts for the Chargers. Kaluka Maiava starts for the Browns. Fili Moala plays for the Colts.

Man... USC really just sends busts to the NFL. :rolleyes:

You can't really take anything that GD says about USC seriously. Every time he sees anyone praising or, hell, not bashing a USC player, he throws a **** fit about how overrated the player and USC both are and how Miami is the greatest thing ever.

soybean
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
well ghostdehlini was just talkin about the 5 stars. If we factor in the 4 stars you can't exactly claim usc produces busts...

Hurricanes25
11-25-2009, 09:18 PM
You can't really take anything that GD says about USC seriously. Every time he sees anyone praising or, hell, not bashing a USC player, he throws a **** fit about how overrated the player and USC both are and how Miami is the greatest thing ever.

He bashes Miami to. He never has anything good to say about anybody.

nyqua
11-26-2009, 12:04 AM
He sounds like he's going to be one of those "slash" players like Brad Smith or something. He'll be a RB/slot WR/PR/KR/Wildcat guy.

Or a career 3rd RB

GhostDeini
11-26-2009, 01:43 AM
Wow, you guys just ran off a list of unimpressive players. The only name that stood out was Brian Cushing but he just got ran over by Chris Johnson on national television.

Isn't Keith Rivers hurt again ?

Brent
11-26-2009, 01:44 AM
It is weird that we are talking about Moody. He was my RB when I was in high school haha.

soybean
11-26-2009, 02:07 AM
Wow, you guys just ran off a list of unimpressive players. The only name that stood out was Brian Cushing but he just got ran over by Chris Johnson on national television.

Isn't Keith Rivers hurt again ?

A lot of highly recruited players are even lucky to get drafted let alone play a large role on the team.

"the list of unimpressive players" we listed play a large role on the team regardless of how successful the team is.

tjsunstein
11-26-2009, 02:15 AM
I don't usually neg people but I tried to neg GhostDeini. Instead, I +repped him. FML.

kwilk103
11-26-2009, 11:03 PM
these are the 5* usc signed 2002-2007, according to rivals

2002---none

2003---reggie bush (rb), whitney lewis (ath)

2004---jeff byers (oc), fred davis (wr), thomas herring (ot), taitusi lutui (ot), ryan powdrell (lb), keith rivers (lb), jeff schweiger jr (de), scott ware (s)

2005---rey maualuga (lb), mark sanchez (qb), patrick turner (wr)

2006---allen bradford (lb), cj gable (ath), vidal hazelton (wr), stafon johnson (rb), taylor mays (ath)

2007---chris gallipo (lb), everson griffin (de), ronald johnson (wr), joe mcknight (rb), kristofer o'dowd (ol), marc tyler (rb)

rainbeaukid2
11-27-2009, 04:20 PM
mcknight has been a pretty big disappointment this year. although the offensive line he is running behind isn't exactly elite like it has been in the past, which leads to him getting hit behind the line on occasion, he still doesn't produce all that much. most of his production comes off of either sweeps or dump off passes, much like reggie bush did. overall though, most usc fans/students may tell you that allen bradford has done a better job at RB as he actually consistently produces yards

LonghornsLegend
11-27-2009, 05:38 PM
I don't know why this guy wouldn't be great value in the mid rounds for a team who needs a dual threat RB in their stable. For instance off the top of my head I'm not sure when Deangelo Williams contract is up but he would make a great pairing with a guy like Jonathan Stewart in Carolina.

He obviously won't be asked to do everything a feature back is, but he has showed me he has some great vision and the instincts to want to run inside to get tough hards, but you'll have to utilize him in space at the next level to get the most out of his abilities.

He also has excellent hands for a RB and if he's in an offense that passes the ball a ton he'll be extremely valuable but I don't see him as a 2nd rounder just yet.

Sniper
11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
The guy's still averaging 6.52 yards per carry. Pretty damn nice.

rainbeaukid2
11-28-2009, 02:04 PM
The guy's still averaging 6.52 yards per carry. Pretty damn nice.

its just a downer that because we are always losing that we have to stop using him and then he gets a lot of little carries that are negated average-wise by the occasional 60 something yarder

Borat
11-28-2009, 02:33 PM
I like him better than Glen Coffee, who went in the 3rd round last year. I think he'll be successful in the NFL though since he won't be required to tote the rock for more than 15 carries a game.

Sniper
11-28-2009, 02:42 PM
McKnight reminds me a bit of Brian Westbrook.

SickwithIt1010
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM

I can see that, as an Eagles fan and a big SC fan...they have a lot of similarities. The thing that will sell McKnight to a lot of teams is his ability to be a threat in the passing game as well.

Race for the Heisman
11-28-2009, 09:41 PM
I really did not like McKnight before this year, but I think his running style has matured a little bit and I am not as opposed to him as I was. I still think given the relative value of running backs he's a maybe a solid third round value to the right team, but that assumes you can get the most out of him including as a receiver and on special teams. Most teams won't be able to do that, and so for some his value should be lower, but to reiterate: third or fourth round varying a bit more widely depending on the team.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Just read that McKnight is being quoted for saying that he is leaning towards returning next year. It's only late November, but just thought I would share.

SchizophrenicBatman
11-29-2009, 06:07 PM
Fact is, he's not perceived to be an uber talent... unless you throw that word around lightly. Just because he was ranked the #1 HS recruit doesn't mean much when you're talking about NFL prospects. If that's the basis for your case then you need to reanalyze your logic.

I dont know, that seemed to be the only reason Derrick Williams got drafted

Sniper
11-29-2009, 06:08 PM
I dont know, that seemed to be the only reason Derrick Williams got drafted

McKnight is a better RB than Williams was a WR.

11-29-2009, 06:17 PM
McKnight is a better RB than Williams was a WR.

A better receiver also. ;)

Prophet
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM
SC fans dislike McKnight b/c in Carroll's eyes the guy can do no wrong. Pete is dead set on finding a second coming of Bush.
The heaviest he has come in at all season is 191. He cannot break his habbit of putting the ball on the ground (the same problem that got Gable benched) and his unsure hands got him snubbed from the punt return team.
He will be SC's feature back as long as he's there, if he were to come out this year he would be a mid round pick. In 3 years he has never been able to consistantly produce.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2009, 08:53 PM

How's he compare to LeSean McCoy to you? He was a 2nd rounder who danced around, but he has a much better frame and still hit the hole harder to me. Better vision also, but I can see some similiarities between the two.

hockey619
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
He reminds me of Derrick Williams from Penn State this past year. I know they played different positions sort of but they really are the same player. Similar size and hype comin into college, versatile, but nothing really to show for it IMO.

B-Dawk
11-30-2009, 09:26 PM
mccoy had far superior college production running the ball

SickwithIt1010
11-30-2009, 09:34 PM
How's he compare to LeSean McCoy to you? He was a 2nd rounder who danced around, but he has a much better frame and still hit the hole harder to me. Better vision also, but I can see some similiarities between the two.

I think that if McKnight came back for next season it would do wonders for him. McCoy and him have similarities in their game, just with the receiving ability and the way they run, but McCoy was much more productive when it came to being a pure runner. I think that is McKnight comes back, and continues to improve his ability to run between the tackles he could possibly be a 2nd round pick.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM
mccoy had far superior college production running the ball

I understand that but I wouldn't use that as a basis for comparing the two, if Mcknight went to Pitt don't you think he would be force fed the ball too? How many RB's get carries/touches at USC? Then compare that to Pitt and who would be in competition for carries there.

I'm not trying to discredit what McCoy did because I think his instincts as a natural RB were better which is why I felt McCoy would be the best RB from this past class, but there is no way Mcknight could go to USC with the RB stable they had and expect to even come close to what McCoy did as a feature back for Pitt due to no one even coming close to having the type of talent that he had.

SenorGato
12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Would be a nice day 2 steal if he went there, but he could go high due to the value guys like him can have lately.

I'd love him in the 4th if we don't bring back Washington. Maybe he lasts that long like Leon did.

SickwithIt1010
12-02-2009, 06:44 PM
Would be a nice day 2 steal if he went there, but he could go high due to the value guys like him can have lately.

I'd love him in the 4th if we don't bring back Washington. Maybe he lasts that long like Leon did.

I dont think he would get past the 3rd round. While his production isnt the greatest, he still has a ton of tools to bring to the table.