PDA

View Full Version : Do you think the Lions/Cowboys should still have Thanksgiving Day games?

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 03:46 PM
This has probably been brought up before but id like to see how the numbers stack up on this board. I also know the odds of the NFL doing this are very slim.

This year the 2-8 Lions host the 6-4 Packers while the 7-3 Cowboys host the 3-7 Raiders. Do you think its time for the NFL to get rid of annual Lions and Cowboys games on Thanksgiving and mix it up with different teams?

While I understand and at one time agreed these teams should have these games b/c of tradition I have decided over the last couple years that this isnt the best thing for NFL fans as a whole.

As a Redskin fan I do like seeing the Cowboys play on turkey day b/c its always nice watching a rival and seeing how they play (hopefully they lose). For most fans of teams other than the Lions and Cowboys these games suck though.

The addition of a third Thanksgiving Day game is nice but I dont see why NFL fans have to watch terrible day games like the Lion and Cowboy matchups. I dont think anyone would pick the Lions or Raiders to win tomorrow.

Lets look at some past games over the last 5 seasons for the Lions and Cowboys and see what the matchups/results were on Thanksgiving Day.

The 10-1 Titans win 47-10 over the 0-11 Lions
The 7-4 Cowboys win 34-9 over the 2-9 Seahawks

The 9-1 Packers win 37-26 over the 6-4 Lions
The 9-1 Cowboys win 34-3 over the 2-8 Jets

The 4-6 Dolphins win 27-10 over the 2-8 Lions
The 6-4 Cowboys win 38-10 over the 3-7 Bucs

The 6-4 Falcons win 27-7 over the 4-6 Lions
The 8-2 Broncos win 24-21 over the 7-3 Cowboys

The 7-3 Colts win 41-9 over the 4-6 Lions
The 3-7 Cowboys win 21-7 over the 4-6 Bears

The only game over the last 5 seasons that was any good was the 2005 Broncos/Cowboys game.

The average score in the last five Lions and Cowboys Thanksgiving Day games have been....

Opponent 36 Lions 12
Cowboys 30 Opponent 11

So what do you guys think? Should the NFL get rid of Lion and Cowboy Thanksgiving Day games?

Splat
11-25-2009, 03:49 PM
No, id rather watch different teams and better matchups.

Copy and paste.

Babylon
11-25-2009, 03:55 PM
I always enjoyed Detroit vs Green Bay. Even back in the day the Packers would come in there and an inferior Detroit would give them a game or win. No real opinion on Dallas, by that time of the day it's family stuff around the ranch.

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Even back in the day the Packers would come in there and an inferior Detroit would give them a game or win.

Back in the day the Lions use to give teams a game on Thanksgiving regardless of Detroits record. Feels like a long time ago though.

Shane P. Hallam
11-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Yes, of course. Keep it the same. They added a 3rd game for this reason, and it is never guaranteed to be a good match-up. We don't know which teams will be good or bad each season, keep the tradition.

fenikz
11-25-2009, 04:29 PM
please may the cardinals never play on thanksgiving agian

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, of course. Keep it the same. They added a 3rd game for this reason, and it is never guaranteed to be a good match-up. We don't know which teams will be good or bad each season, keep the tradition.

Its never guaranteed to be a good matchup. At the sametime I think the schedule makers could project and get better games on Thanksgiving than what the Lions and Cowboys have produced over recent years.

Paul
11-25-2009, 04:36 PM
If someone takes the Cowboys away from me during Thanksgiving, so help me god I will make souls suffer.

Hurricanes25
11-25-2009, 04:49 PM
Thanksgiving is a holiday built around tradition so I say just keep it the way it is.

Matthew Jones
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Copy and paste.

I agree with this as well. The Lions and Cowboys Thanksgiving games aren't very exciting to me, and I don't expect that to change this week either. It seems like we always get bad Thanksgiving day matchups - when's the last time a non-Lions fan was excited about watching the Lions play, aside from people whose team gets to play them? 2000? They don't even make close matchups lately on Thanksgiving - there's no way the people who made the schedules thought the Lions or Raiders had a chance this year. You'd have to be insane to bet on either team. Needs to change in my opinion.

P-L
11-25-2009, 04:54 PM
People that aren't Lions or Cowboys fans just don't understand. As a Lions fan, it's a tradition that' been around for as long as I've been alive. Thanksgiving for most Michigan residents (I'm sure this applies to Dallas as well) is not Thanksgiving without Lions football.

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 04:59 PM
People that aren't Lions or Cowboys fans just don't understand. As a Lions fan, it's a tradition that' been around for as long as I've been alive. Thanksgiving for most Michigan residents (I'm sure this applies to Dallas as well) is not Thanksgiving without Lions football.

I understand and for a long time I have agreed with this. Now though after going through year after year of terrible games just b/c certain teams are guaranteed to play on Thanksgiving has really been driving me nuts.

Ill watch the games b/c turkey and football go hand and hand but I already know both games will be blowouts. I knew both games would be blowouts back in April when the schedule came out.

I still cant figure out why the **** the NFL put the Raiders on Thanksgiving.

Shane P. Hallam
11-25-2009, 05:15 PM
If it weren't for the Lions, we wouldn't even have this tradition:

The Detroit Lions are the reason there's football on Thanksgiving. The Detroit Lions are also the reason a lot of other teams have gotten easy wins on Thanksgiving.

Anyhoo, the NFL games that are now an indispensable part of Thanksgiving started back in 1934. That year, a guy named G.A. Richards bought the franchise... which, at the time, was called the Portsmouth (Ohio) Spartans... and moved it to Detroit. In order to compete with the Tigers for a market share of Detroit's sports fans, he had to get creative.

So he decided to schedule one of their games that season for Thanksgiving, against the defending world champion Chicago Bears. The game sold out, it was broadcast nationwide on NBC radio, it was a huge success... and the tradition stuck.

The Lions have played 68 home games on Thanksgivings and are 33-33-2. The only years off were six years during World War Two.

dex
11-25-2009, 05:23 PM
Come on. You can't take the one thing the Lions have.

It is tradition. Can't take away the tradition.

The lions have very little going for them, can't take away what little they have going for them.

Granted, this year it is going to suck big time with their 2 best players not playing in Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

Even if Calvin plays he won't be 100% and he will be playing with the terrible Culpepper.

WMD
11-25-2009, 05:49 PM
Ill watch the games b/c turkey and football go hand and hand but I already know both games will be blowouts.
That's why the Lions and Cowboys still have Thanksgiving games. People are gonna watch Football no matter what.

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
If it weren't for the Lions, we wouldn't even have this tradition

Yes you are correct. They started the tradition and thats great.

I just dont think just b/c they started the tradition they should get a game every year on Thanksgiving when there are 32 teams in the NFL. I think the NFL could put up better matchups than the Lions games every year.

I understand most people believe in tradition. I just think tradition takes a backseat when the Lions have been getting killed every year.

That's why the Lions and Cowboys still have Thanksgiving games. People are gonna watch Football no matter what.

Correct most people will tune in and watch the games. I wont be watching the game when its 28-0 at halftime though.

It would be nice to have some Thanksgiving Day games that are good in the 4th quarter.

Shane P. Hallam
11-25-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes you are correct. They started the tradition and thats great.

I just dont think just b/c they started the tradition they should get a game every year on Thanksgiving when there are 32 teams in the NFL. I think the NFL could put up better matchups than the Lions games every year.

I understand most people believe in tradition. I just think tradition takes a backseat when the Lions have been getting killed every year.

Correct most people will tune in and watch the games. I wont be watching the game when its 28-0 at halftime though.

It would be nice to have some Thanksgiving Day games that are good in the 4th quarter.

So let's give them props for starting something that has become synonymous with Thanksgiving, and keep their game. I mean, they have to play a game anyway, might as well be on Thanksgiving. Likewise, the year you take it away from them, I'd bet 5 bucks that they are actually good.

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 06:33 PM
So let's give them props for starting something that has become synonymous with Thanksgiving, and keep their game. I mean, they have to play a game anyway, might as well be on Thanksgiving. Likewise, the year you take it away from them, I'd bet 5 bucks that they are actually good.

I give them alot of props for starting the tradition. I guess when it comes down to it im just tired of the weak games on Thanksgiving. It seems like the Lions have been terrible forever and the Cowboys keep playing teams that are weak and are easy wins.

I think its just sad there hasnt been a decent game for either team on turkey day since 2005.

I really dont care about there being different teams as much as I just want to see some competitive football when these teams play.

The only thing I can think of is mixing up the teams and putting better teams and games on. I know its hard to project who will be good in April but I think the NFL could still make it work better than whats happening now.

The only other option is maybe to flex a different game to replace either the Lion or Cowboy game if it isnt a good matchup. I didnt bring this up b/c I know it would never work. NFL players, coaches, and fans schedule family dinners on Thanksgiving so these players couldnt plan ahead if any game could be flexed.

tjsunstein
11-25-2009, 08:44 PM

I have to agree with JBond here, or Shane P. Hallam, whatever. It's the only game of their season where they have most of the attention of the football viewing world. Give them that sense of pride in a tradition that they started.

Raiderz4Life
11-25-2009, 09:20 PM
They should switch it to Indy vs NE...that's always a good match up...i dont wanna watch the ****** Lions on Thanksgiving.....I want to see a good game.

RufusMcDaniel
11-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Well the only other team that Dallas could have played would have been San Diego, but I assume the schedule makers didn't want to have the Chargers playing on both holidays.

Honestly, I don't care, who ever is playing is fine by me, of course I'm Canadian so there's no thanksgiving dinner but a full day of football during the week is great to have.

BleedBurgundy96
11-25-2009, 09:59 PM
31-12 right now. Not how I thought it would go.

I guess more people like the tradition aspect instead of the competitive one.

Well the only other team that Dallas could have played would have been San Diego

The NFL should of figured out a way to put this game on Thanksgiving instead.

America
11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
I like the fact that Detroit plays. They've been bad for a long time but they're hardly ever nationally televised so it's good to see them and there's always something interesting going on during their games. I'm really glad they're playing the Packers, cause that's a great classic matchup.

What I don't like is seeing the Cowboys play. They're always on FOX here in Texas and I hate it. I really just don't like the way FOX does games and when you combine that with Cowboys it just is like noise polluting my mind.

Scotty D
11-25-2009, 11:23 PM
They should switch it to Indy vs NE...that's always a good match up...i dont wanna watch the ****** Lions on Thanksgiving.....I want to see a good game.

I don't want to watch Bruce ******* Gradkowski either.

Also Bleedburgandy how old are you? 15?

yo123
11-25-2009, 11:31 PM
Keep it the way it is. Even though they're usually bad, watching the Lions on Thanksgiving just seems right.

vikes_28
11-25-2009, 11:44 PM
I can't not watch the Lions on thanksgiving. Its always a fun time. I love football on thanksgiving.

CJSchneider
11-25-2009, 11:58 PM
This year, watching the Lions and the Cowboys (even as a 49er fan - I root for who ever they play) is going to be even more awesome. My boy is starting to get into watching football and he is actually excited about setting down with me all day and watching the games.

M.O.T.H.
11-26-2009, 12:05 AM
I could care less about the Lions...the games are still normally entertaining but, it'd be nice if they were actually a decent team.

Dallas is a ratings monster...they'll never lose their Thanksgiving spot.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 12:20 AM
Dallas is a ratings monster...they'll never lose their Thanksgiving spot.

Yeah that is true. Like I said I dont mind the Cowboy games. Since the Boys are a rival I like when they are on in Virginia so I can watch how they do.

I mainly want different teams every year just b/c im tired of the same weak matchups yearly.

I probably wouldnt of made this thread if the Cowboys played the Chargers instead of the Raiders today.

I guess im just upset that the games havent started yet and I know whos going to win. If either the Packers or Cowboys lose tomorrow I would be shocked.

At least the Giants/Broncos game might be a good one. Even though I got a feeling the Giants will also win in a blowout.

yo123
11-26-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah that is true. Like I said I dont mind the Cowboy games. Since the Boys are a rival I like when they are on in Virginia so I can watch how they do.

I mainly want different teams every year just b/c im tired of the same weak matchups yearly.

I probably wouldnt of made this thread if the Cowboys played the Chargers instead of the Raiders today.

I guess im just upset that the games havent started yet and I know whos going to win. If either the Packers or Cowboys lose tomorrow I would be shocked.

At least the Giants/Broncos game might be a good one. Even though I got a feeling the Giants will also win in a blowout.

Not to say I wouldn't be very surprised, but Oakland has already beaten two good teams and the Cowboys are playing just pitiful right now. I wouldn't completely rule out an upset.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 12:30 AM
Not to say I wouldn't be very surprised, but Oakland has already beaten two good teams and the Cowboys are playing just pitiful right now. I wouldn't completely rule out an upset.

Bruce Gradkowski FTW

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/11/18/gradkowski.raiders.ap/p1.gradkowski.jpg

yo123
11-26-2009, 12:36 AM
Bruce Gradkowski FTW

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2009/football/nfl/11/18/gradkowski.raiders.ap/p1.gradkowski.jpg

Hey, they beat Cincy with him and they beat Philly with Fatass Russell. I'm not picking them to win, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's close.

NIN1984
11-26-2009, 12:55 AM
I say leave it. Its the one day where I actually watch a full Lions game and this year they are worth watching. And I don't ever mind watching Dallas on Thanksgiving, its tradition.

wogitalia
11-26-2009, 01:04 AM
It is impossible to pick when a game will be a good one anyway. I mean Browns/Lions was supposed to be the worst game of the season and it was a good fun game to watch.

You just cant pick matchups flawlessly, and tradition dictates who plays in these games, I like that. I think the 3rd game as a flex game so that other teams get a chance to play on Thanksgiving.

Donno
11-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Come on. You can't take the one thing the Lions have.

It is tradition. Can't take away the tradition.

The lions have very little going for them, can't take away what little they have going for them.

Granted, this year it is going to suck big time with their 2 best players not playing in Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson.

Even if Calvin plays he won't be 100% and he will be playing with the terrible Culpepper.

Agreed, they have fans too.

LonghornsLegend
11-26-2009, 02:16 AM
I guess im just upset that the games havent started yet and I know whos going to win.

So you knew the Chiefs were beating the Steelers last week? And the Raiders were beating the Bengals? What makes you feel like these games are already decided?

Granted I'm biased, but I like tradition as it is and I hate to change tradition up. This goes for the Lions as well, I would hate for them to lose that slot.

MetSox17
11-26-2009, 04:58 AM
This is the only day in the year that i EVER get to watch a full Lions game, so let me have it!!!

nepg
11-26-2009, 07:17 AM
I hate watching both teams and the games are always awful, but tradition is tradition... Keep it the way it is. Still unsure how I feel about the 3rd game.

EvilNixon
11-26-2009, 07:51 AM
We should all be thankful we may be blessed with the presence of Bruce "The God" Bradkowski on Thanksgiving.

Michigan
11-26-2009, 11:18 AM

That isn't a very good argument. The quality of teams changes every year, and even the Lions put out some decent teams once in a while. You can't take the game away from them because they "suck" now. In 2-3 years, you probably won't even complain about the Thanksgiving game since the Lions will be much better.

The only legitimate reason to take the game away would be if the Lions stopped selling out and attracting huge TV ratings.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 11:30 AM
So you knew the Chiefs were beating the Steelers last week? And the Raiders were beating the Bengals? What makes you feel like these games are already decided?

No I didnt know those teams would pull the upset.

The reason the Lions will lose is b/c they suck. They cant beat a team that is better than them. Both the Redskins and Browns are terrible. The Packers will easily win.

The Cowboys come to play on Thanksgiving every year. The Cowboys are also playing a team that they are easily better than. The Cowboys wont lose.

Ill be happy to be wrong. I just dont see any close games in those 2 matchups.

nrk
11-26-2009, 12:00 PM
I'd like for it to change. Watching the Lions is usually pretty ugly, and I hate watching the Cowboys. Just because it's tradition doesn't make it good.

Saints-Tigers
11-26-2009, 12:04 PM
KEep the Lions, drop the Cowboys.

wordofi
11-26-2009, 12:11 PM
I wish that the Thanksgiving games were flexible, so that there would be no more lousy games on Thanksgiving.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 01:17 PM
That isn't a very good argument. The quality of teams changes every year, and even the Lions put out some decent teams once in a while. You can't take the game away from them because they "suck" now. In 2-3 years, you probably won't even complain about the Thanksgiving game since the Lions will be much better.

The only legitimate reason to take the game away would be if the Lions stopped selling out and attracting huge TV ratings.

It isnt a good arguement in your opinion. The Lions havent played good on Thanksgiving in a long time. Today im shocked its only 13-7 at halftime with the Lions pretty much being dominated.

The Lions just dont suck now. They have sucked for the last 10 years.

In 2-3 years i dont expect the Lions to be better. For the most part they have sucked since they have been in the NFL. I dont see that changing with Stafford at QB.

The arguement makes sense b/c there are too many other teams in the NFL to have to keep watching weak matchups every year. Im a big fan of tradition but tradition can only go so far when the games on Thanksgiving Day suck year after year.

If the NFL put different teams on this day I could easily see better games being played. Not every game will be a good one since its hard to project good games everytime. I still believe that if the NFL wasnt strapped with the Lions and Cowboys they could put up better matchups.

M.O.T.H.
11-26-2009, 01:22 PM
wrong thread. :D

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Average Score of the 5 previous Lions Thanksgiving Day games
Lions lose 36-12

Score of todays game
Lions lose 34-12

TitanHope
11-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Schwartz and Mayhew will have that team competitive in a season or two.

Stafford to Johnson will be worth tuning in.

Statistical Jim is the man.

It's tradition.

Did I mention they have teh Schwartz?

Once again, I live by my motto: "If it's good enough for Tim the Tool Man, then it's good enough for me!"

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Schwartz and Mayhew will have that team competitive in a season or two.

In a season or two? Thats funny.

Stafford to Johnson will be worth tuning in.

Yeah that combo really tore it up today LOL.

TitanHope
11-26-2009, 03:18 PM
In a season or two? Thats funny.

Yeah that combo really tore it up today LOL.

Yup, I'm a Schwartz believer. Always thought he'd be a better HC than DC. And I liked what Mayhew did in the offseason, aside from passing on Oher for Pettigrew.

Stafford is a rookie QB with a banged up shoulder and Johnson was going up against one of the best CB's in the league. What the hell did you think the outcome was gonna be? Doesn't mean that in a few seasons when the team becomes better and Stafford is more developed, that the duo has the chance to be electric.

Mock me all you want. I stand by what I said.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Yup, I'm a Schwartz believer. Always thought he'd be a better HC than DC. And I liked what Mayhew did in the offseason, aside from passing on Oher for Pettigrew.

I was also shocked they passed on Oher. Hell I was shocked Oher slipped as far as he did.

Mock me all you want. I stand by what I said.

Not mocking you. I just thought it was funny you brought up the Stafford/Calvin combo when they got shutdown today.

Michigan
11-26-2009, 03:25 PM
Not mocking you. I just thought it was funny you brought up the Stafford/Calvin combo when they got shutdown today.

Stafford can barely stand, and Calvin can barely walk. Give them a break.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Stafford can barely stand, and Calvin can barely walk. Give them a break.

No offense but they shouldnt be on the field then. Dont use injuries as an excuse for players. Its weak.

I have no problem with Calvin. Hes one of the best WRs in the game. Stafford I think is overrated and will end up being a bust.

All im saying is the connection got shutdown today so it makes no sense hyping it up for future Thanksgiving Day games right after that weak performance.

TitanHope
11-26-2009, 03:49 PM
No offense but they shouldnt be on the field then. Dont use injuries as an excuse for players. Its weak.

I have no problem with Calvin. Hes one of the best WRs in the game. Stafford I think is overrated and will end up being a bust.

All im saying is the connection got shutdown today so it makes no sense hyping it up for future Thanksgiving Day games right after that weak performance.

An injured Stafford and Johnson are still better than anything else the Lions have. They were playing hurt, on a short week, so the fact that they didn't light it up today is understandable. No excuses, but a little context is always nice.

This isn't the first time you've voiced your distaste for Stafford. You're working in your bias against him into your argument, which is, as you would say, weak.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 04:00 PM
An injured Stafford and Johnson are still better than anything else the Lions have. They were playing hurt, on a short week, so the fact that they didn't light it up today is understandable. No excuses, but a little context is always nice.

Maybe but if they were able to play then I dont like bringing up injuries. I just think its weak when a player steps up and plays but then if he doesnt play well people blame injuries.

Those injuries may of hurt but it didnt look like it effected them too much. Stafford just isnt that good. Calvin got shutdown by Woodson.

This isn't the first time you've voiced your distaste for Stafford. You're working in your bias against him into your argument, which is, as you would say, weak.

It isnt bias. I dont dislike him as a person. I just dont think he is that good.

Watching him today he looked like trash.

I wouldnt of brought it back up if you didnt say the Stafford/Calvin connection is a combo to watch on future Thanksgiving when they just got shutdown right before your post.

If the connection would of had a big game in the loss I wouldnt of responded like I did.

TitanHope
11-26-2009, 04:17 PM
I didn't even watch today's game, so you may be right.

I just believe...believe in teh Schwartz!

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 04:35 PM
I just believe...believe in teh Schwartz!

Well 2-9 is better than 0-11 so hes moving in the right direction.

On a different note this 2nd game sucks like I thought it would also. :(

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Stafford looked pretty good beating the Skins earlier this year.

I mean if they shouldn't be on prime time tv because they suck so bad, what does that mean for the Skins if they lost to them? Contracted? : /

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 08:21 PM
Stafford looked pretty good beating the Skins earlier this year.

Do you really think saying something like that bothers me?

Dude I know my team sucks.

Dont take it personal. I just think Stafford is going to be a bust.

Since you wanted to bring my Skins into this just b/c the Lions won earlier this year lemme ask you some questions....

1. Oh hey how many Super Bowls have the Lions won?
2. How many have they been too?
3. When was the last time you won a game in Washington?

You ready for the answers?

1. 0
2. 0
3. Never 0-21 at Washington (You havent beat us at home since 1935 when we were the Boston Redskins)

You can have that cheap win earlier this year. I could care less. Both of our teams suck.

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Do you really think saying something like that bothers me?

Dude I know my team sucks.

Dont take it personal. I just think Stafford is going to be a bust.

Since you wanted to bring my Skins into this just b/c the Lions won earlier this year lemme ask you some questions....

1. Oh hey how many Super Bowls have the Lions won?
2. How many have they been too?
3. When was the last time you won a game in Washington?

You ready for the answers?

1. 0
2. 0
3. Never 0-21 at Washington (You havent beat us at home since 1935 when we were the Boston Redskins)

You can have that cheap win earlier this year. I could care less. Both of our teams suck.

Then you shouldn't talk **** when your team can't even back it up. Oh you want to bring in history with the Skins but just dismiss our history with Thanksgiving? I think Jason Campbell is going bust oh wait he already did!

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Then you shouldn't talk **** when your team can't even back it up. Oh you want to bring in history with the Skins but just dismiss our history with Thanksgiving? I think Jason Campbell is going bust oh wait he already did!

My team isnt a part of this discussion. When have I brought them up in this thread before you did it for me?

I never dismissed your history with Thanksgiving. I have said numberous times in this thread that its great how the Lions started the Thanksgiving tradition.

That being said im tired of watching terrible ******* games b/c your lousy team has a Thanksgiving game every year. Its my opinion. If you werent a Lions fan you might agree a little more with me.

I made a simple comment that I think Stafford is going to be a bust and you are all upset about it. I find it kinda funny. Dude I made this prediction back in April and I was just bringing it up.

Ill tell ya one thing Campbell has thrown 32 INTs in 46 career games. Stafford has already thrown 14 in 8 games. Campbell if he leaves Washington might end up being a solid QB. Stafford is on his way to being the next Ryan Leaf.

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:42 PM
My team isnt a part of this discussion. When have I brought them up in this thread before you did it for me?

I never dismissed your history with Thanksgiving. I have said numberous times in this thread that its great how the Lions started the Thanksgiving tradition.

That being said im tired of watching terrible ******* games b/c your lousy team has a Thanksgiving game every year. Its my opinion. If you werent a Lions fan you might agree a little more with me.

I made a simple comment that I think Stafford is going to be a bust and you are all upset about it. I find it kinda funny. Dude I made this prediction back in April and I was just bringing it up.

Ill tell ya one thing Campbell has thrown 32 INTs in 46 career games. Stafford has already thrown 14 in 8 games. Campbell if he leaves Washington might end up being a solid QB. Stafford is on his way to being the next Ryan Leaf.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290927008

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 08:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=290927008

I guess I made my point so that is the best you can come up with.

Ok ill do you one better....

Those shiny things you have never seen before are called Lombardi Trophies. You get one for winning the Super Bowl.

http://i979.photobucket.com/albums/ae275/RakAttack98/gibbs.jpg

Oh and check this....

I care more about this boxscore.....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199201120was.htm

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:50 PM
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/8APoCVl4wsY/0.jpg
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/lions-redskins-500x300.jpg

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for linking me to a boxscore in 1992, were you even born yet?

I guess Stafford is a bust but hes still good enough to beat the Redskins!

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Thanks for linking me to a boxscore in 1992, were you even born yet?

Actually I was born in 1985. I just wanted to show you a game that actually matters.

The fact that you bring up a game from earlier this year when our teams right now are 3-7 and 2-9 is laughable.

I guess thats the closest thing you will find to a Super Bowl. Losing 19 straight games and then finally winning.

I bet you were jumping up and down like the little ***** that you are.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM
I bet you took that screenshot yourself. Thats sad LOL. Thanks for that. Im LMFAO.

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
The fact that you bring up a game from earlier this year when our teams right now are 3-7 and 2-9 is laughable.

I guess thats the closest thing you will find to a Super Bowl. Losing 19 straight games and then finally winning.

I bet you were jumping up and down like the little ***** that you are.

Personal attacks are not allowed on this site. GTFO

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0927/nfl_stafford-haynesworth_bipanel_576.jpg

senormysterioso
11-26-2009, 09:00 PM
One of my friends came up with a pretty good idea for the thanksgiving game, he thinks that the Patriots should play the Redskins and the Pats should be the home team, but the game should be held at Fed Ex field

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Personal attacks are not allowed on this site. GTFO

LOL dude grow some balls. It was censored. If I hurt your feelings that bad you need to step away from your computer.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
One of my friends came up with a pretty good idea for the thanksgiving game, he thinks that the Patriots should play the Redskins and the Pats should be the home team, but the game should be held at Fed Ex field

Thats funny. Why would anyone want to watch the ****** Skins on Thanksgiving?

Im a Redskin fan and I wouldnt want to watch them.

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
LOL dude grow some balls. It was censored. If I hurt your feelings that bad you need to step away from your computer.

My feelings were prettttty hurt, but that picture of Albert Haynesworth in defeat made me feel ALOT better.

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 09:04 PM
My feelings were prettttty hurt, but that picture of Albert Haynesworth in defeat made me feel ALOT better.

In defeat or injured? He was injured on that play dumbass. Oh I forgot the game was blacked out. Did you even get to see it LOL?

Scotty D
11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
In defeat or injured? He was injured on that play dumbass. Oh I forgot the game was blacked out. Did you even get to see it LOL?

http://monkeyinmymind.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/jim-zorn.jpg

The door is that way! GTFO

BleedBurgundy96
11-26-2009, 09:21 PM
The door is that way! GTFO

Dude I love how you killed this thread by making it Lions/Redskins. I guess you cant have a true discussion about the Thanksgiving Day games debate.

Thats cool. Id be upset also if I was a Lions fan. How many games has your team lost this decade?

You guys are 11-26 all-time vs the Redskins. I guess that coupled with the fact you snapped a 19 game losing streak vs us makes you happy still even though it happened in week 3.

Well I could sit on here for another hour and watch you ***** about my thoughts on your Thanksgiving Day games or gloat about how you won meaningless game. Id rather watch the rest of the Giants/Broncos game.

Later jackass.

Before I go though. I just want to tell you I can understand why you are upset. Id be pissed to knowing im going to die without seeing my team get to the Super Bowl let alone win it.

You could live til you are 120 and never see the Lions do ****. Its funny.

Jmohr107
11-26-2009, 09:25 PM
I think the only problem with the current system is the fact that CBS gets one of the games each year, and since both teams are in the NFC, there are only two options for the CBS game. There might be some better match-ups if FOX had both games.

Also, I know that FOX doesn't want a waste a good match-up on Thanksgiving when they know that the game will get good ratings anyway, but I think that the years when the Cowboys are on FOX they should make it a divisional game, as the NFC East games are always fun to watch.

Raider_fan_Canada
11-26-2009, 10:37 PM
GB 34 - DET 12
DAL 24 - OAK 7
DEN 26 - NYG 6

3 absolute stinkers. I hope somebody at NFL HQ is embarrassed.

Monomach
11-27-2009, 12:01 AM

Copy and paste.

Yes!

The games should all be between teams that won their divisions the year before so that they at least have a chance of being competitive. Having to change the channel at halftime sucks.

WMD
11-27-2009, 12:25 AM
GB 34 - DET 12
DAL 24 - OAK 7
DEN 26 - NYG 6

3 absolute stinkers. I hope somebody at NFL HQ is embarrassed.
Why should they be embarrassed? I'm sure they made a lot of money off advertising, and I'm sure the ratings were very nice seeing as how it's the only thing on during Thanksgiving.

vikes_28
11-27-2009, 12:27 AM
Why should they be embarrassed? I'm sure they made a lot of money off advertising, and I'm sure the ratings were very nice seeing as how it's the only thing on during Thanksgiving.

I enjoy watching blowouts on Thanksgiving.

BleedBurgundy96
11-27-2009, 02:30 AM

Im starting to think Lions fans are really stupid. Im also starting to see why your team is cursed. You have a ignorant fanbase.

WMD
11-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Nobody gives a **** what you think anyways.

Gay Ork Wang
11-27-2009, 04:21 AM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/218486/51953_Redskins_Lions_Football.jpg
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/photo_images/219774/52139_Redskins_Lions_Football.jpg
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/photo_images/219218/52059_Redskins_Lions_Football.jpg
http://s.wsj.net/public/resources/images/MK-AY569_SP_FEA_G_20090927200532.jpg
http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ff/47/97/58/b0/18/20090927193254_2009-0927-dm-lions-redskins1329.jpg

I want the Lions game to be moved, only because it makes the chances that the bears play on Thanksgiving higher and i cant tune in on Fridays at like 3am every year.

The strenght of the teams thing is idiotic. even if the lions were that bad every year, they still have a 33-34-2 record.

Monomach
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
I want the Lions game to be moved, only because it makes the chances that the bears play on Thanksgiving higher and i cant tune in on Fridays at like 3am every year.

The strenght of the teams thing is idiotic. even if the lions were that bad every year, they still have a 33-34-2 record.

They're 0 for their last 6. Bringing up Detroit's all-time Thanksgiving record is like Bears fans bragging about being world champs 9 times when 90% of us have only been alive for one of them. Just because they went 7-3 on Thanksgiving when they had Barry Sanders doesn't make them any stronger. :p

datchapin
11-27-2009, 03:27 PM
I think they need to change it. I understand Detroit started it, don't know how the Cowboys latched on to it, but they have that weird monopoly on it. I don't think that's right, tradition should be football on Thanksgiving. It shuns the fans of every other team. I don't like the Cowboys and when was the last time the Lions were relevant? I like the addition of a third game by the NFL network. In my opinion though there should be a rotation to have every team have a shot to play on Thanksgiving. You got 6 teams playing they should be able to spread the love without much difficulty. While making the games competitive.

Shane P. Hallam
11-27-2009, 03:29 PM
I think they need to change it. I understand Detroit started it, don't know how the Cowboys latched on to it, but they have that weird monopoly on it. I don't think that's right, tradition should be football on Thanksgiving. It shuns the fans of every other team. I don't like the Cowboys and when was the last time the Lions were relevant? I like the addition of a third game by the NFL network. In my opinion though there should be a rotation to have every team have a shot to play on Thanksgiving. You got 6 teams playing they should be able to spread the love without much difficulty. While making the games competitive.

They do spread it around, especially with the third game now.

P-L
11-27-2009, 03:34 PM
You got 6 teams playing they should be able to spread the love without much difficulty. While making the games competitive.
There are six teams that play on Thanksgiving and only two of them are the same every year. They can just as easily rotate those other four spots among the remaining teams without taking the tradition away from Detroit or Dallas.

datchapin
11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
There are six teams that play on Thanksgiving and only two of them are the same every year. They can just as easily rotate those other four spots among the remaining teams without taking the tradition away from Detroit or Dallas.

I understand the tradition argument to a degree. That's just my opinion, I don't think Detroit and Dallas should be in it every yr. I think it would be more fair to the other teams.

LonghornsLegend
11-27-2009, 03:50 PM
They're 0 for their last 6. Bringing up Detroit's all-time Thanksgiving record is like Bears fans bragging about being world champs 9 times when 90% of us have only been alive for one of them. Just because they went 7-3 on Thanksgiving when they had Barry Sanders doesn't make them any stronger. :p

So records only count for the last few years because most of the people here are teenagers? It's their all-time record, who came up with this rule that you only start counting things in the past few years because that's when everyone on this board starting pay attention to football?

MetSox17
11-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Stop hating the Cowboys so much, njx. :p

Monomach
11-27-2009, 10:58 PM
So records only count for the last few years because most of the people here are teenagers? It's their all-time record, who came up with this rule that you only start counting things in the past few years because that's when everyone on this board starting pay attention to football?

...because if we count all the way back, forever and ever and use that data as an indicator of present performance it makes this sentence true:

"The Cleveland Browns are a stronger team than the New England Patriots."

He tried using their all-time record as an indication that they are as strong as anyone else. This is obviously false for the reason that I stated. If you disagree with this, you're just plain wrong and there's no way to get around it.

Scotty D
11-27-2009, 11:07 PM
I understand the tradition argument to a degree. That's just my opinion, I don't think Detroit and Dallas should be in it every yr. I think it would be more fair to the other teams.

Teams are already complaining about traveling (Giants) and I'm sure they are lining up to play on another short week. I can't remember the last time the Lions were on Monday or Sunday night football. I've had to watch Jay Cutler throw 30 INTs during primetime games this year, but you don't see me complaining.

Bengalsrocket
11-28-2009, 12:17 AM

Cowboys got the Thanksgiving game tradition because a couple generations ago football wasn't the biggest American pass time. Network executives and team owners didn't know how to market football very well collectively. The Cowboys franchise however, did in fact, know how to market their team, hence they started calling the Cowboys "America's team".

Now networks could have made, say, the Browns, a thanksgiving team. But what does America as a whole care about the Browns? Instead, companies would rather market their commercials for "America's team" on thanksgiving. That is why is the Cowboys have a thanksgiving game every year.

While it probably wouldn't matter today, I guess tradition keeps them from losing that game.

WMD
11-28-2009, 03:08 AM
Okay, how about we just have every NFL Game on Thanksgiving instead of the Sunday after. Everyone gets to play on 3 days rest. That'll make everyone happy.