PDA

View Full Version : djp Big Board November 25, 2009

djp
11-25-2009, 05:12 PM
1. Ndamukong Suh DT Nebraska - Best DT prospect I have ever seen, absolutely positively dominant

2. Gerald McCoy DT Oklahoma - He'd go No. 1 in any other draft, classic 4-3 UT

3. Eric Berry S Tennessee - Simply a playmaker, opponents avoid him

4. Russell Okung OT Oklahoma State - Elite pass protector, upside in run game, I feel like he's underrated here

5. Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame - Does lots of little things some NFLers don't, big time arm, can move around, tough

6. Rolando McClain ILB Alabama - Been 2nd best college defender behind Suh, he will be a Pro Bowler in the NFL

7. Jake Locker QB Washington - Every single tool in the book, is it too early? Signs point to yes in my opinion

8. Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma - Injury hampers his stock-still a great prospect in my book

9. Taylor Mays S USC - Has done a disappearing act at times this year, still can be dominant. Might be better in the NFL than in college

10. Joe Haden CB Florida - The best draft eligible corner easily (even though Patrick Peterson is the best corner in the conference, next year buddy)

11. Dez Bryant WR Oklahoma State - Suspension doesn't scare me at all, but I don't think he's a top flight No. 1 in the NFL

12. CJ Spiller RB Clemson - The most versatile player in college football, but must go to the right team in order to maximize potential

13. Brian Price DT UCLA - Keeps climbing up boards every week

14. Sean Weatherspoon OLB Mizzou - This guy is just everywhere when I watch Mizzou play

15. Brandon Spikes MLB Florida - Productive leader who may not be a star but will be solid for the majority of his career

16. Derrick Morgan DE Georgia Tech - Ultra productive despite teams knowing he's the best player on the field

17. Jonathan Dwyer RB Georgia Tech - He could be a souped up version of Earnest Graham, I love the way he runs

18. Jerry Hughes DE TCU - He is unblockable at times

19. Carlos Dunlap DE Florida - Every single tool in the book, can he put it together? Recent line of Gator DE's says no

20. Dan Williams DT Tennessee - Need to see more of him, but have liked what I've seen so far.

21. Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma - He could potentially be great, has every trait you ask for in a tight end

22. Jahvid Best RB California - Concussions might scare teams, but he's electric. Somebody will take him in Round 1 due to success of Chris Johnson

23. Everson Griffen DE USC - He could be an elite prospect if he stays another year, but all the potential in the world. Injuries may scare teams

24. Sergio Kindle DE Texas - I still think this guy could be good, but he hasn't impressed me all that much. Still learning the position.

25. Ed Dickson TE Oregon - I absolutely love this guy and I think he could sneak into the latter part of Round 1 pending the underclassmen who come out. Great receiver, surprisingly elusive after the catch. He's a decent blocker, too. Reminds me of Visanthe Shiancoe a whole lot.

26. Allen Bailey DL Miami - His versatility will attract teams, not to mention he might have one of the all-time greatest combines ever. Improving a ton, but signs point to him not coming out, as he stated this on a Miami radio station earlier this month.

27. Brandon Graham DE/OLB Michigan - I really like this guy, but I feel like he is going to be playing the wrong position in the pros. Teams will want to stick him at 3-4 OLB, but I think he is best at 4-3 DE. He has shown he can get pressure with his hand in the dirt and he was so impressive against the run vs Ohio State

28. Damian Williams WR USC - I could see him being the No. 1 receiver next year, I think it's in his best interest to stay another year. Looks like he will be a very solid NFL WR for someone, borderline No. 1, high end No. 2

29. Bryan Bulaga OT Iowa - I'll be honest, forgot about him while making this list, and I don't feel like moving him up and switching all the #'s. He'd probably be in the 15-20 range.

30. Navorro Bowman OLB Penn State - I put him slightly ahead of Travis Lewis because I think Bowman is more NFL ready, Lewis still tackles too high even though I think Lewis will end up being the better pro. Another guy that should have been higher that I forgot about. Bowman is a standout every time I watch Penn State.

Feedback welcome!

RaiderNation
11-25-2009, 05:17 PM
Nice list, kind of surprise Dan Williams is so far up right now. Seems like a 2nd our 3rd still in my book

djp
11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
Nice list, kind of surprise Dan Williams is so far up right now. Seems like a 2nd our 3rd still in my book

His leverage is tremendous and he's very productive despite being on an average team. I like him more than Terrence Cody.

RaiderNation
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
What do you see him as? NT in a 4-3? NT or DE in a 3-4?

Sniper
11-25-2009, 05:28 PM
I'd like your reasoning for having Carlos Dunlap so high.

djp
11-25-2009, 05:32 PM
What do you see him as? NT in a 4-3? NT or DE in a 3-4?

3-4 NT ideally, but I could see him being a very good 4-3 NT though.

I'd like your reasoning for having Carlos Dunlap so high.

To be honest, I really like what I see about 75% of the time. He's still raw, but clearly all the talent is there. I think he's a much better prospect than Michael Johnson and Calais Campbell were, two similar prospects. Mainly because of the fact that I see Dunlap using different pass rushing moves instead of just the bull rush.

He still plays too high and can be stiff at times, but that is coachable and I think he has a better getoff than both Campbell and Johnson.

Sniper
11-25-2009, 05:34 PM
How do you feel about Dunlap's atrocious run defense and lack of elite production?

djp
11-25-2009, 05:39 PM
How do you feel about Dunlap's atrocious run defense and lack of elite production?

Dunlap's run D leaves a lot to be desired, no doubt.

Look, I'm not saying he's an elite prospect at all, the 19th overall player on the board is not an elite prospect. He has elite talent, he can be a dominant pass rusher at times, and his frame is incredible. He's got warts, but almost every prospect does.

It's not all sacks with Dunlap, either. His bull rush is really good when he gets low and uses his legs, he collapses the pocket a ton with that and gets more pressures on the QB than you think. So even though his sacks are not where you'd like them to be, he's still making an impact.

Don Vito
11-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Dan Williams has size and has looked good this year, but when I saw the UT/Ole Miss game he got his salad tossed by John Jerry a few times. I hear UT fans raving about him and he makes some plays, but I don't no if he is a dominant first round type DT talent.

CashmoneyDrew
11-25-2009, 06:13 PM
Dan Williams has size and has looked good this year, but when I saw the UT/Ole Miss game he got his salad tossed by John Jerry a few times. I hear UT fans raving about him and he makes some plays, but I don't no if he is a dominant first round type DT talent.

I'm not on the Dan Williams as a first round pick train yet, but he is definitely a second rounder in a strong DT class that would be a steal in the third.

And I definitely don't know about Dan Williams getting his salad tossed. You guys definitely ran well that day, but most of it was outside the tackle box and tacking advantage of our lack of depth and athleticism at linebacker.

Damn I said definitely a lot.

Day One Pick
11-25-2009, 08:17 PM
I like Dan Williams quite a bit. As far as his draft stock goes, consider this. There are now more 3-4 teams than ever, yet there are still very few NT prospects to go around. Some of the leagues best NT's are getting up there in age. I could see a team like Pittsburgh being all over Williams in the first round.

djp
11-26-2009, 07:03 PM
I like Dan Williams quite a bit. As far as his draft stock goes, consider this. There are now more 3-4 teams than ever, yet there are still very few NT prospects to go around. Some of the leagues best NT's are getting up there in age. I could see a team like Pittsburgh being all over Williams in the first round.

This. Good post. Williams is born for the 3-4 nose tackle spot, and it's just as important to a 3-4 defense as quarterback is to an offense.

djp
11-26-2009, 07:04 PM
One guy I forgot is Toby Gerhart now that I think about it. He'll go either low round 1 or high round 2.

djp
11-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Oh, and Earl Thomas. He'd be in the 10-15 range, although I don't think he will enter the draft, but he's eligible, so he should be on this list.

bored of education
11-26-2009, 11:08 PM
Warts, salad tossing? DJP what is really going on in this thread?

I like this list a lot. I like the Jerry Hughes love! I am on the Dan Williams bandwagon as well.

Day One Pick
11-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Warts, salad tossing? DJP what is really going on in this thread?

I like this list a lot. I like the Jerry Hughes love! I am on the Dan Williams bandwagon as well.

That's atleast 3 of us now. We must spread the word, lol.

TACKLE
11-27-2009, 11:55 AM
This is one of the better lists I've seen. My only complaint is the lack of Brian Price. Price has dominated all season and he has been very impressive every time I watch him. I see him a mix between Sedrick Ellis and Peria Jerry. Although I do like what I've seen from Dan Williams and like the fact that he can play NT in a 4-3 and a 3-4 but he's not better than Price.

edit: Nevermind. I am a handicap. I should probably learn to read.

Brown Leader
11-27-2009, 12:06 PM
6. Rolando McClain ILB Alabama - Been 2nd best college defender behind Suh, he will be a Pro Bowler in the NFL

Because?...

marshallb
11-27-2009, 12:09 PM
This is one of the better lists I've seen. My only complaint is the lack of Brian Price. Price has dominated all season and he has been very impressive every time I watch him. I see him a mix between Sedrick Ellis and Peria Jerry. Although I do like what I've seen from Dan Williams and like the fact that he can play NT in a 4-3 and a 3-4 but he's not better than Price.

13. Brian Price DT UCLA - Keeps climbing up boards every week

ummmmmm...

I like this list quite a bit, although I'm not on the Dickson or Bowman bandwagon, and don't see either as top 30 players in this draft, Dickson more so than Bowman.

Also, what's the reasoning behind no Hardy? is it the injury concerns or are you just not a fan of him or something else?

ThePudge
11-27-2009, 01:27 PM
Personally I need to know why Spikes over Graham after this year? And remember, Graham played linebacker through high school and has been described by many as a workout warrior. If you think his athletic ability, strength, intelligence, experience as a pass-rusher, and experience as a LB will hold him back from being a successful 3-4 OLB in the NFL, I don't know what to tell you.

Spikes has been a fourth rounder on the field this year, but has a name we're accustomed to see in the first round. I want to know why he's a Top 15 pick or value.

jimbo
11-27-2009, 03:52 PM
With the way ILBs have fallen the past couple years I don't see Spikes getting taken in the first round. Maualuga, Laurinaitis, Connor, Posluszny etc. were all thought at one point to be mid-first round picks and all slipped to the second. FWIW, I like Spikes more than all of them except Maualuga.

Day One Pick
11-27-2009, 03:55 PM
With the way ILBs have fallen the past couple years I don't see Spikes getting taken in the first round. Maualuga, Laurinaitis, Connor, Posluszny etc. were all thought at one point to be mid-first round picks and all slipped to the second. FWIW, I like Spikes more than all of them except Maualuga.

You're right, but things like that also work in cycles. Maybe this is the year teams don't want to pass on the next great ILB. Add DeMeco Ryans to that list too.

jimbo
11-27-2009, 04:04 PM
IMO, Rolando McClain is the next great ILB from this class. Lacks a bit in the speed department but has some of the best play recognition skills I have ever seen and has Ray Lewis-esque ball skills. He'd probably be a better fit in a 3-4 where his speed won't be as much of an issue. In a 4-3 I think he's only a two-down LB right now but has the talent to play every down a few years down the road.

djp
11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Because?...

He's about as safe as they come if you're looking for a beast of a 3-4 ILB. His block shedding is great, great feet/hips, huge hitter but very technical, his play recoginition skills are off the charts. His speed isn't going to be elite but whoever gets him is getting a great player for 10 years barring injury.

His instincts are just phenomenal, the way he can get to the ball in a tight space with a lot of people around him really stand out for me.

djp
11-27-2009, 05:52 PM
Personally I need to know why Spikes over Graham after this year? And remember, Graham played linebacker through high school and has been described by many as a workout warrior. If you think his athletic ability, strength, intelligence, experience as a pass-rusher, and experience as a LB will hold him back from being a successful 3-4 OLB in the NFL, I don't know what to tell you.

Spikes has been a fourth rounder on the field this year, but has a name we're accustomed to see in the first round. I want to know why he's a Top 15 pick or value.

I think Spikes' NFL upside is very promising, because he has a unique skill set. He sheds blocks very well, he's a proven leader on the field, he will take command of a defensive huddle and command respect from everyone else, he can rush the passer very well, and he can run.

I like Brandon Graham a lot, don't get me wrong. Just like him more as a 4-3 DE than a 3-4 OLB simply because he looks really good with his hand in the ground as it is already and I love the way he can slide down the line while taking on a blocker or just straight up beat his man and make a play.

djp
11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
ummmmmm...

I like this list quite a bit, although I'm not on the Dickson or Bowman bandwagon, and don't see either as top 30 players in this draft, Dickson more so than Bowman.

Also, what's the reasoning behind no Hardy? is it the injury concerns or are you just not a fan of him or something else?

He shows flashes, no doubt, but I like pretty much every other comparable prospect like Hughes, Graham, Kindle, Griffen, Dunlap, etc better.

Without the injuries, he might be on this list, but probably not. I just don't think he's one of the 30 best players in this draft.