PDA

View Full Version : Amari Spievey CB/Iowa

Shane P. Hallam
11-27-2009, 06:46 PM
I figured I would amaze the masses and have a thread about an Iowa player not made by ToldLikeItIs.

But, Amari Spievey is a Junior CB who is really turning my head. I have gone back and reviewed some tape of some Big Ten games recently, and no prospect impressed me as much as Amari Spievey. There are some rumors that he may come out for the NFL draft, and could be a big time corner who rises up boards very quickly when teams get a good look at him.

The most impressive thing is his fundamentals were top notch. His hips were very fluid and seem to have a good nose for when the ball was coming and when to turn around. His two interceptions in the Wisconsin game really were due to him just having such sound technique.

I'll also use that common term of him being "deceptively" fast. I am interested to see what his 40 time is because he isn't a blazing fast Deion Sanders type of corner, but with his footwork being so good, he can take big strides and matched up with faster WRs so far this season. So, I do want to see how that goes.

He just does all the little things well. Takes great angles on running backs and wraps up well when he tackles. He doesn't take big chances and bats a lot of balls down that easily could be catches. I have a feeling he is going to go from obscurity to a player a lot of people on this board and in the draft community will like a lot.

He has had some issues at Iowa staying on the field, being kicked out his first year for being academically ineligible and went the JUCO route, being extremely effective. He got his scholarship back and has done well in his classes and has been making plays ever since.

Is he a first round pick? Maybe not, just because corners go in the first round based on upside (see Haden and Vontae Davis, etc). But I look at the guys taken on the second day of the draft last year like Sean Smith ad Jairus Byrd who have found success based on being such good football players. I think Spievey fits into that category. Second round isn't out of the realm of possibility for him.

So, overall, he is type of guy that when/if he declares, no one will be going crazy, but he'll creep up draft boards and may be a productive NFL player.

Well, there is me sharing some thoughts since I don't have a blog or anything like that. Feel free to share!

Giantsfan1080
11-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Good writeup. I think you mean Vontae Davis though and not Vernon.

ThePudge
11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
How would you compare him to former Fresno State CB Richard Marshall coming out of college as a pro prospect?

iowatreat54
11-27-2009, 07:00 PM
According to people on Iowa's scout forums, his facebook status recently was, "NFL" and has had a couple wall conversations with people implying that he has made up his mind.

Like Shane said, I think a lot hinges on his 40 time. While anyone could tell you from game film that he is more than fast enough to play CB very well, we all know how much scouts love 40 times and how they effect certain positions.

The only times I've seen Spievey look poor were on play action, such as the first PSU TD, and that might be due to the fact that he has an incredible knack for finding the ball in run support. Also, if anyone wants to watch film on him, make sure to watch Iowa's punt coverage because he is usually the first player to the returner and is a very sure tackler. Not only would he cover extremely well, but he was also great in run support and punt coverage. He is very well rounded.

TACKLE
11-27-2009, 08:37 PM
With this CB class up in the air, I could definitely see Spievey emerging as one of the Top 3 Corners in this draft. He may not have elite upside it's hard to find well rounded corners coming out of college. He actually reminds me a bit of Darrelle Revis.

princefielder28
11-27-2009, 09:11 PM
With this CB class up in the air, I could definitely see Spievey emerging as one of the Top 3 Corners in this draft. He may not have elite upside it's hard to find well rounded corners coming out of college. He actually reminds me a bit of Darrelle Revis.

I was thinking more of a Brandon Flowers type player but I could be completely off on that one.

TACKLE
11-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I was thinking more of a Brandon Flowers type player but I could be completely off on that one.

I'm not a big fan of the comparison tbh. Flowers was the most physical CB I've seen in college football but was also 5'9. The more I think about it, the more I like Pudge's comparison with Richard Marshall. I think their skillsets are similar along with their draft status. Both were/will be viewed as Late 1st-Mid 2nd type guy.

Shane P. Hallam
11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
How would you compare him to former Fresno State CB Richard Marshall coming out of college as a pro prospect?

Very different players. Marshall built his reputation in coverage on making big plays on the ball, getting picks, etc. Though Spievey does these things, he doesn't look to make a play first, but more lock the WR down.

He reminds me of a slower Marcus Trufant in college.

SenorGato
11-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Ferentz is doing a helluva job with that program...

Sounds like an interesting player....

TACKLE
11-27-2009, 11:15 PM
Very different players. Marshall built his reputation in coverage on making big plays on the ball, getting picks, etc. Though Spievey does these things, he doesn't look to make a play first, but more lock the WR down.

He reminds me of a slower Marcus Trufant in college.

Shows what I know.

I liked the comparison based of the H/W/S and the fact they they are both solid well rounded cornerbacks with great cover skills and are also solid against the run. Though, I need to watch more of Spivey. I have been impressed when I did watch him but I've only watched 3 Iowa games this year.

Hines
11-27-2009, 11:20 PM
Could be an awesome zone corner IMO. Does anyone think he could play FS like Godfrey does in Carolina?

iowatreat54
11-28-2009, 04:30 AM
Could be an awesome zone corner IMO. Does anyone think he could play FS like Godfrey does in Carolina?

I think he is too good in coverage to move to FS. Godfrey was a good college corner, but really was better at playing off the ball and in zone coverage, whereas Spievey has the ability to really stick to his man and to come off the ball when he has to. I don't recall any of Godfrey's play specifically, but from what I can remember Spievey is a lot better in coverage.

ToldLikeItIs
11-29-2009, 11:50 AM
Reminds me of Chris McAlister.

I made a thread about him awhile ago I think?