PDA

View Full Version : Michael Floyd

BamaFalcon59
11-29-2009, 03:08 AM
Golden Tate gets most of the pub for Notre Dame, and he is indeed a beast, but when I see Notre Dame play I am just as impressed by Michael Floyd. More so than I am by his fellow sophmore standout WRs (Julio Jones, AJ Green, DeAndre Brown).

Maybe it's just me, but I see Larry Fitzgerald all over him. His body control is amazing, along with great leaping ability. Uses all hands. The same size as well- both 6'3" and roughly 220 pounds.

Thoughts on Floyd?

Also, does anyone follow Southern Miss and have any info on if Brown is back to 100%?

JFLO
11-29-2009, 07:21 AM
If Michael Floyd can prove to stay healthy, he would, without a doubt, be the #1 receiver next year, maybe #1 overall player. However, b/c of frequent health concerns, I like A.J. Green a bit more.

This 2011 wide receiver class is probably the best I've ever seen (maybe anyone has ever see) from a potential standpoint.

Also, don't forget about Jonathan Baldwin out of Pitt. Monstrous size and great hands.

I doubt DeAndre Brown's knee is 100% healthy, but that is just me.

Sniper
11-29-2009, 08:47 AM
Floyd is ******* amazing. Yesterday was the first full game he played that he didn't get 100 yards in, and he still got 85 yards and two touchdowns. An absolute beast. Like you said, he's basically Larry Fitzgerald.

Nalej
11-29-2009, 08:48 AM
Floyd is the truth

phlysac
11-29-2009, 08:49 AM
I know some may hate on this opinion but most of the time I see Michael Floyd I think Mike Williams before I think Larry Fitzgerald.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 08:59 AM
I know some may hate on this opinion but most of the time I see Michael Floyd I think Mike Williams before I think Larry Fitzgerald.

I'm with you. His movements just don't look smooth and athletic. Right now he physically can pick on college CB's, but that's not the case in the NFL. Mike Williams, haha, maybe a little harsh but I can see why you would say that. How about a rich man's Mike Williams.

I would personally take Julio Jones, A.J. Green, or Jonathan Baldwin over Floyd.

Sniper
11-29-2009, 09:02 AM
I'm with you. His movements just don't look smooth and athletic. Right now he physically can pick on college CB's, but that's not the case in the NFL. Mike Williams, haha, maybe a little harsh but I can see why you would say that. How about a rich man's Mike Williams.

Comparing him to Mike Williams in college is actually a huge compliment.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 09:15 AM

Yeah I guess it is. Floyd is a very good college receiver, but he might be one of those ones that doesn't pan out in the NFL. Dwayne Jarrett is another name that comes to mind. I for one was big on Jarrett's pro prospects, but was dead wrong. Since then I'm careful to hype up bigger college receivers. Limas Sweed was a pretty good college receiver too.

Floyd might be a better pro prospect than William, Jarrett, and Sweed, but that doesn't mean he can be even close to Larry Fitzgerald. He might be a 40 catch 650 yards per year type guy. Productive, yes. Worth a high draft pick, no.

Sniper
11-29-2009, 09:19 AM
Yeah I guess it is. Floyd is a very good college receiver, but he might be one of those ones that doesn't pan out in the NFL. Dwayne Jarrett is another name that comes to mind. I for one was big on Jarrett's pro prospects, but was dead wrong. Since then I'm careful to hype up bigger college receivers. Limas Sweed was a pretty good college receiver too.

Floyd might be a better pro prospect than William, Jarrett, and Sweed, but that doesn't mean he can be even close to Larry Fitzgerald. He might be a 40 catch 650 yards per year type guy. Productive, yes. Worth a high draft pick, no.

I was also on Jarrett's nuts, but yeah, he hasn't panned out. However, I think Floyd will make a great pro. He's a lot more fluid than you give him credit for.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 09:29 AM
I was also on Jarrett's nuts, but yeah, he hasn't panned out. However, I think Floyd will make a great pro. He's a lot more fluid than you give him credit for.

Floyd is fluid going up for the ball and has good body control in reguards to that aspect of his game, but so did Jarrett. It's the route running and overall ability to separate that I see as a potential problem. I believe that to be where Jarrett falls short as a pro.

Something tells me Floyd will be heavily debated this time next year.

Nalej
11-29-2009, 09:42 AM
I agree. The thing about Floyd is that he looks like he's not even trying.
Like it comes so easy to him. I think he has unbelievable body control.
I also was a Jarrett fan but I think Floyd will no doubt be a stud at the next level.
I'd like to see what he does with a new HC and QB (I'm assuming Weis is fired and Clausen declares)

phlysac
11-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Yeah, my comparison to Mike Williams was not based on any predictions as to the pro he can/will be. I made the comparison based on what I believe to be their abilities to run routes and change direction. Just like Williams, Floyd has tremendous ball skills and strong hands in a "jump-ball" situation but I feel that he, just as Williams, caught alot of balls where he is simply wide open because of poor defense. Way too early to guess how that may translate to the NFL.

The only WR that made me think of Larry Fitzgerald when I watched him, was Calvin Johnson. I never understood the Crabtree-Fitzgerald comparisons either.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Floyd's stock will also have a bit of a dependent factor on who is coaching in South Bend next season too. I think if it is either Stoops, Kelly or Harbaugh, then his stock should be fine (permitting that he stays healthy and performs up to par).

On the thought of Floyd's actual abilities, I don't think I can put him up there with players like Julio Jones and A.J. Green on speed and athleticism, but his hands and body control (like previously stated) are at least up there if not better than the two.

A.J. Green is the best receiver in that class and he should be a Top 10 pick in April of 2011.

AntoinCD
11-29-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to the 2011 draft from a Pats standpoint. With the future need of a WR there are some great ones there. Floyd has great body control and his toe drag TD last night was beautiful but I would still take Jones before any of them. Playing for Bama isn't going to help his stats and if he had Clausen and Tate on offense he would have ridiculous numbers.

FUNBUNCHER
11-29-2009, 09:46 AM

+1.

Was there any more dominant WR in recent college football history than Big Mike? He was literally unstoppable in the redzone.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Floyd - Fitzgerald
Jones - Andre Johnson
Green - Randy Moss

phlysac
11-29-2009, 09:50 AM
If anyone in the 2011 WR class reminds me of Randy Moss it would be Jonathan Baldwin. AJ Green reminds me more of Reggie Wayne.

Nalej
11-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Jones>Floyd>Green

All 3 of them are beasts and I'd love for the Pats to draft one of them next year

jimbo
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Don't forget about Wisconsin's Nick Toon. Christ, next year's draft will be loaded at receiver.

phlysac
11-29-2009, 09:53 AM
There's so many top prospects that it will be very difficult to assume who will or won't come out early.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 09:56 AM
Don't forget about Wisconsin's Nick Toon. Christ, next year's draft will be loaded at receiver.

Yea, I'm a big fan of Nick Toon. His body control is also very good and his hands have been very reliable all season long for the Badgers. The fact that Tolzien will be a more developed senior next season will only help his stock too.

LonghornsLegend
11-29-2009, 10:02 AM
Floyd - Fitzgerald
Jones - Andre Johnson
Green - Randy Moss

I think Julio is alot more TO, he seems more physical then Andre ever was, and AJ Green has looked like Randy Moss since the day he stepped on the field. I think Julio is the most complete WR out of this bunch, he's got speed to get deep like AJ Green and can make acrobatic catches but his short game is much more complete. Green is going to be an amazing deep ball player who can stretch a defense but I think Julio is more complete overall and can do alot more then the other 2, he looked like he was ready to play in the NFL as a freshman from a body and skills standpoint.

P-L
11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
Was there any more dominant WR in recent college football history than Big Mike? He was literally unstoppable in the redzone.
Yeah, Larry Fitzgerald.

JRTPlaya21
11-29-2009, 10:38 PM
Yeah, Calvin Johnson.

Nalej
11-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Yea, Peter Warrick

etk
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Floyd is a great college receiver and should be a great pro as well. He's still not as athletic as Jones, Green, Brown and possibly Baldwin.

His ball control, hands and intangibles are outstanding for a WR, but his upside is limited compared to the others.

I'd rank him 2nd behind Jones for now.

GhostDeini
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
Up until his injury Michael Floyd made me forget all about Julio Jones, A.J. Green, DeAndre Brown, & Jonathan Baldwin. None of these guys had ever had a more dominant span of games. They are all young and still have tons of potential but I think if Floyd hadn't gotten injured he would've won the Heisman this year.

The Larry Fitzgerald compairison is spot on. The only thing is Floyd could be a little faster. Fitzgerald made incredible catch after incredible catch in college but I never saw him take a swing pass to the house for 80 plus yards
like Floyd did vs. Nevada. UNTOUCHED.

SRogers92
11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
He's too soft to make it in the NFL ... amazing talent, will be picked top 10 ... and not pan out, IMO ...

etk
11-30-2009, 07:05 PM
Up until his injury Michael Floyd made me forget all about Julio Jones, A.J. Green, DeAndre Brown, & Jonathan Baldwin. None of these guys had ever had a more dominant span of games. They are all young and still have tons of potential but I think if Floyd hadn't gotten injured he would've won the Heisman this year.

The Larry Fitzgerald compairison is spot on. The only thing is Floyd could be a little faster. Fitzgerald made incredible catch after incredible catch in college but I never saw him take a swing pass to the house for 80 plus yards
like Floyd did vs. Nevada. UNTOUCHED.

Fitzgerald, is quicker, more fluid and more explosive. More proportionate as well.

djp
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Fitzgerald, is quicker, more fluid and more explosive. More proportionate as well.

Agreed. I'd think of him more like a Charles Rogers if we're talking prospect comparisons (god he was good in college)

RedVision
11-30-2009, 07:37 PM
He reminds me of a taller chris chambers with his body control.

ElectricEye
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM
Agreed. I'd think of him more like a Charles Rogers if we're talking prospect comparisons (god he was good in college)

Rogers was an athletic specimen. Floyd isn't that type of player.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2009, 08:20 PM

He looked like he would be pretty damn good in the NFL too, he had 2 TD's in his very first game and was a very consistent good WR in those first 5 games. Then once he continually got hurt he didn't have the work ethic to bounce back stronger and faster, he got lazy, smoked weed, didn't work out, got depressed etc etc then it just went down hill. But I still remember how he started his rookie year and for a brief moment he looked like he was going to develop into something special like he was in College.

Still can't fault Detroit for that pick, he looked every bit as good in College as Andre Johnson did even though they ended up about as far apart as literally possible.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Suffice to say the sophomore class at WR is loaded.

ElectricEye
11-30-2009, 08:27 PM
Suffice to say the sophomore class at WR is loaded.

It's pretty scary. AJ Green and Julio Jones are top five caliber players and there might be another top ten guy in the Baldwin, Brown, and Floyd mix. Floyd is the inferior athlete out of that bunch as Baldwin and Brown are both bigger and faster than him by the looks of it, but Floyd's disgusting body control and hands will probably get him drafted higher.

SickwithIt1010
11-30-2009, 09:39 PM
Floyd is a great college receiver and should be a great pro as well. He's still not as athletic as Jones, Green, Brown and possibly Baldwin.

His ball control, hands and intangibles are outstanding for a WR, but his upside is limited compared to the others.

I'd rank him 2nd behind Jones for now.

I agree with that, I still think that Julio is the best WR in that class...his stats may not show it this year....but not getting the ball doesnt help.

I have been comparing Floyd to Fitz for a while now, and i think its scary how close they are. Ill put Floyd over Green next year in the WR rankings, and i think hes going to be a great reciever in the NFL.

Jughead10
12-01-2009, 12:02 AM

The Floyd comparison to Rogers, Jarrett, and Williams are ridiculous. They all failed because of laziness and lack heart and maturity/intelligence. Floyd has shown you nothing at all to believe he is any of those things. He definitely falls more on the Fitzgerald side of the comparison. If he doesn't reach his huge upside, he'll be a solid pro at the very least. He's just not made up to be like those others guy to be such a huge a bust.

ElectricEye
12-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Charles Rogers also ran 4.28 at his pro day. Floyd is a 4.5+ guy. Completely different types of players.

Jarrett and Williams were guys who were able to bully smaller colleges corners with size. That's not Floyd's game. He plays bigger than he is, but he isn't reliant on his height. He's probably about 6'2.

LonghornsLegend
12-01-2009, 01:15 AM
The Floyd comparison to Rogers, Jarrett, and Williams are ridiculous. They all failed because of laziness and lack heart and maturity/intelligence. Floyd has shown you nothing at all to believe he is any of those things. He definitely falls more on the Fitzgerald side of the comparison. If he doesn't reach his huge upside, he'll be a solid pro at the very least. He's just not made up to be like those others guy to be such a huge a bust.

Who had any clue that guys like Rogers and Jarrett were lazy when they entered the draft? Those were things that people discovered once they were already drafted, it's easy to point those things out well after the fact and say Floyd isn't like that but honestly nobody finds that stuff out until it's way too late.

Jughead10
12-01-2009, 08:50 AM
Who had any clue that guys like Rogers and Jarrett were lazy when they entered the draft? Those were things that people discovered once they were already drafted, it's easy to point those things out well after the fact and say Floyd isn't like that but honestly nobody finds that stuff out until it's way too late.

I didn't follow the draft as closely when Rogers was drafted but it was hinted with Jarrett. Most everyone who saw both him and Steve Smith practice and run drills, came away knowing that while he might not be as physically gifted Smith worked much harder and was more dedicated to his craft. A lot of so called experts thought Jarrett would bust.