PDA

View Full Version : Where will Mardy Gilyard go?

mattjwUC
11-29-2009, 05:21 AM
How high can he be drafted?

As a UC student I must say that I really think highly of Gilyard, he does nothing but make big plays and move the chains. In a crop of many talented players and WR's potentially entering this draft though he seems to be getting lost in the mix a little bit. In many of the mock drafts I haven't even seen him in the first 2 rounds.

His production and ability are undeniable, 75+ receptions, over 1000 yards easy, and 10+ receiving tds each of the last two seasons. Throw in 3 kickoff return Td's, one of those being against WVU in his worst game receiving-wise this season and you have a real playmaker on your hands.

Furthermore I must point out that this guy is a hell of a character after finding out about how he dropped out of school but worked hard to get back in and during this time while living in his car he was still helping youths in the community. There's also a video of him hugging some kid after running him over in the stands.

After rolling all of these things into one I don't see why he shouldn't be a first round draft pick. I believe he can be an impact player at the next level with the ability and character that he possesses to be a great professional.

Obviously though what I see of him may be biased due to me being a UC student and all, which is why I am really interested in seeing what you all think of him and his potential at the next level.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 05:37 AM
I think after the All Star games and the combine are over Gilyard will be in the first round of most mocks, and then in the first round of the actual draft. I see the top WR's as all pretty close. Who knows, Maybe Gilyard could be the first WR taken.

Bengalsrocket
11-29-2009, 05:43 AM
I'm a big fan of UC and Gilyard, but I think he's a fringe 1st round talent guy. If a team was really desperate it's possible he could go in the 1st round, but I think it's likely he'll go in the 2nd.

jimbo
11-29-2009, 09:52 AM
Mid-2nd early 3rd is where I see him going.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 09:59 AM

Right thurr...

He's a perfect fit for a system receiver at the next level, for a team like New England, Denver or Miami.

ElectricEye
11-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Right thurr...

He's a perfect fit for a system receiver at the next level, for a team like New England, Denver or Miami.

Yeah, I'm hoping the Patriots take him in that range. He would be really good for us.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 10:14 AM
I had no idea how overlooked he is. I just assumed everybody had Gilyard on the radar as atleast a late 1st rounder. The only way I see him slip out of the first is if there isn't a big overall need for WR's. Talent wise he's a legit first rounder.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 10:18 AM
I had no idea how overlooked he is. I just assumed everybody had Gilyard on the radar as atleast a late 1st rounder. The only way I see him slip out of the first is if there isn't a big overall need for WR's. Talent wise he's a legit first rounder.

I just don't see it.

His route running isn't anything special while his speed is overrated. I'm a believer that 40 times are overrated, but when it comes to Gilyard, that is a lot of his stock, so it is hard not to knock him on that aspect of his game.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 10:23 AM
I just don't see it.

His route running isn't anything special while his speed is overrated. I'm a believer that 40 times are overrated, but when it comes to Gilyard, that is a lot of his stock, so it is hard not to knock him on that aspect of his game.

I feel his route running is very, very good for a college player. You won't find a college WR that doesn't need to improve his route running when they enter the NFL. I think Gilyard is well on his way and that should translate into early playing time.

As far as his speed is concerned, I think it's underrated. I've seen his 40 time projected in the 4.51 to 4.55 range. That's crazy to me. He looks 4.47 at the slowest and I could see him being as fast as 4.42.

ThePudge
11-29-2009, 12:11 PM
It's really a stacked draft all around. Normally, I'd back Gilyard as a late first round prospect, but as I said this is a strong class. I see Mardy being picked somewhere between 35 and 55. Top Two Round Pick.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 12:15 PM
It's really a stacked draft all around. Normally, I'd back Gilyard as a late first round prospect, but as I said this is a strong class. I see Mardy being picked somewhere between 35 and 55. Top Two Round Pick.

One thing that will dictate a lot is which teams take a WR in the 1st round. Some teams may prefer a bigger, more verticle type of receiver and they would lean towards say Brandon LaFell or Dez Bryant. While there may be other teams that prefer their receivers to be a threat after the catch. Maybe it could just be a case where a team needs a WR and a return man. In that scenario Gilyard could be #1 on that teams WR board.

jimbo
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
This is simply not a good draft for receivers. Teams wont reach to take Gilyard with the stacked receiving class next year.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
This is simply not a good draft for receivers. Teams wont reach to take Gilyard with the stacked receiving class next year.

And the dumbest statement of the day goes to...

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 02:22 PM
And the dumbest statement of the day goes to...

Yeah really. This class and next year's class both appear to be stacked. The only way this years class wouldn't be very, very good is if all the underclassmen stayed in school and we know that won't happen.

Further more, Gilyard wouldn't be a reach talent wise. If he doesn't go in the first he'll be deemed a steal.

JFLO
11-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah really. This class and next year's class both appear to be stacked. The only way this years class wouldn't be very, very good is if all the underclassmen stayed in school and we know that won't happen.

Further more, Gilyard wouldn't be a reach talent wise. If he doesn't go in the first he'll be deemed a steal.

Obviously, this receiver class (assuming Benn, Williams and Tate declare amongst others) won't be as good as next year's class (assuming the juniors declare).

I was just saying that his statement was dumb because he assumed that a team is going to wait next year for a player, let alone a wide receiver. I would maybe think about understanding if we were talking about a position like offensive tackle or quarterback, but wide receiver? You can get an All-Pro receiver every single draft. A team like the Ravens isn't going to pass on Damian Williams just because they think Julio Jones might be available next year.

I mean there is obviously a difference between players like Gosder Cherilus and Jason Smith, that is why one went 2nd overall and the other went 17th. Cherilus isn't athletic enough to play LT while Jason Smith could play both LT and RT extremely well.

SenorGato
11-29-2009, 03:46 PM

+1

Really nice WR that can fit into any offense, but since his size and speed don't evoke comparisons to TO/the Johnson's/Fitzgerald he probably won't go in the first.

His game is really polished though. That should help him out, because alot of teams really value that.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I think he'll go between picks 30-50.

Sort of a cross between Reggie Brown and Santonio Holmes.

tjsunstein
12-01-2009, 04:06 PM
I see a lot of people have the same general idea as me. I can see him going anywhere from late 1st to mid 3rd with a lot of variables factoring in.

Thumper
12-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I feel his route running is very, very good for a college player. You won't find a college WR that doesn't need to improve his route running when they enter the NFL. I think Gilyard is well on his way and that should translate into early playing time.

As far as his speed is concerned, I think it's underrated. I've seen his 40 time projected in the 4.51 to 4.55 range. That's crazy to me. He looks 4.47 at the slowest and I could see him being as fast as 4.42.

Really? He has 4.5 speed to me, remember that he plays in a spread offense that gets him into open spaces which makes him look faster than he is.

Also he is very small, my guess is he will measure in at 5'10" and 180 pounds with 4.5 speed. I think he projects best in the slot in the same mold as Wes Welker and will also have a chance to return punts just like Welker. And how good is his route running really? He doesn't play in a pro-style offense, he plays in a spread offense which means he isn't running many pro-style routes, what you might mean is that he can get seperation on the routes he does run because he can get in and out of breaks quickly, but he isn't a great route runner yet although he assuredly has the tools to be a good one.

rickscott
12-01-2009, 06:17 PM
He's not really that small. I think he's 6'1 and recently I heard him say he's up to 192.

Day One Pick
12-01-2009, 06:33 PM
A few years ago I think Gilyard's stock would be hurt or limited because of his size. But because of the recent success of some smallish receivers like Santonio Holmes, DeSean Jackson, and Eddie Royal to name a few, teams are far less hesitant to take a player like this early. Teams are beginning to realize that these quick twitch athletes that run crisp routes and make plays after the catch are as big of a threat as the bigger "deep threat" more prototypical NFL receiver. This is a trend or phase that is coming full circle. In the latter half of the 1980's teams began copying the Houston Oilers and drafting small, quick receivers.

Thumper
12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
Problem is that Santonio Holmes, DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal all ran 4.3 times and are extremely fast, Mardy is not fast and will likely run a low 4.5.

Thumper
12-01-2009, 07:51 PM
He's not really that small. I think he's 6'1 and recently I heard him say he's up to 192.

Have you seen him play? Or are you making this up? This is another situation where the college has inflated their size ala DeSean Jackson but MG is much slower and less explosive.

jimbo
12-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Mardy Gilyard is not 6'1. DJax was listed at like 6'1 in college too and we sure as hell know he's not that. Gilyard's not fast enough for his size (among other things) to warrant a first round pick.

badgerbacker
12-01-2009, 08:35 PM
I see Gilyard as a slightly bigger version of Davone Bess. More quick than fast.

BamaFalcon59
12-01-2009, 08:44 PM
Tore up VT last season. Killed us with his route running and awareness to where he had to be on the sideline.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-03-2009, 12:14 AM
I don't think speed will be a problem for him. He looks plenty fast here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecf999E7b4

I'll guess he's 5'11" 190 with 4.45 speed. Fine for a #2 WR in the NFL.

ThePudge
12-03-2009, 12:22 AM
I don't think speed will be a problem for him. He looks plenty fast here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yecf999E7b4

I'll guess he's 5'11" 190 with 4.45 speed. Fine for a #2 WR in the NFL.

I can't wrap my head around Tony Pike's throw at 0:29. That's 50 yards, on the move, across his body with terrific zip. One of his most impressive throws of the last two years.

But yes, Mardy is plenty fast enough. He's a great athlete and a late 1st Round value in most drafts. Will be a second round steal.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/paul_daugherty/12/02/mardy-gilyard/

- Just a little something I didn't know entering the day. Good stuff Mardy.

mattjwUC
12-06-2009, 07:02 PM
I'd like to thank everyone for all of their comments, very good ones and 2nd sounds about right. I do have an update though for those still interested in Gilyard. Yesterday against Pitt he had 5 receptions for 118yards, a 68 yarder for a TD. Also returned another kickoff for a TD with some Cribbs like vision, and almost returned a punt for a TD making it to the Pitt 24. From what I saw yesterday I number 1 does not have elite speed but has elite vision/RAC ability combined with dang good speed. Furthermore, he single handedly brought this team back yesterday. Down 31-10 with only a couple minute sleft in the 2nd he returned that kickoff for a TD to change the momentum of the game. Came bout out in the second half and caught everyhting, made a couple more huge plays and fought his heart out for the win. The last 30 seconds of the game that guy could barely contain himself on the sidelines...I like seeing guys who show that kind of emotion on the sideline because you know those are the types of people who will try their hardest at the next level.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-07-2009, 01:27 PM
He has a much better chance of being Santonio Holmes than Golden Tate does of being Steve Smith

I'd take him late first

Wouldnt touch Tate til the 3rd

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Gilyard is an outstanding athlete. I guess we'll see him on the Ravens with a late 1st pick.

Bucimal Island
12-07-2009, 02:37 PM
Gilyard will be a Buccaneer

Shane P. Hallam
12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I think he will still go high 2nd. WRs could easily be watered down this year and hurt the value as a whole. We'll see though, late 1st is a very strong possibility if he works out well.

FUNBUNCHER
12-07-2009, 02:53 PM
Problem is that Santonio Holmes, DeSean Jackson and Eddie Royal all ran 4.3 times and are extremely fast, Mardy is not fast and will likely run a low 4.5.

I bet Gilyard is a player who will benefit greatly from a draft-prep camp to work on his speed.

I've read before he's about a 4.5 flat guy, but he looks so much quicker and faster on game film.

Wherever he goes, I think Gilyard should develop into a starter, eventually.

BuffaloBillsFan
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM
2nd-3rd round.

Day One Pick
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
This WR class will come down to what "flavor" each team likes. I could see a case where Gilyard is the first WR drafted or he could be the 5th or 6th WR off the board.

TheGM
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
2nd or third rounder. I would love to see him go to the colts he seems to fit the mold for their system.

lionsfan81
12-07-2009, 09:22 PM
This WR class will come down to what "flavor" each team likes. I could see a case where Gilyard is the first WR drafted or he could be the 5th or 6th WR off the board.

I agree completely with that. Remember Donnie Avery? Yeah no one thought he would be the first WR taken in the draft, but it happened. It just depends what a team sees in a guy or thinks is better. I say 2nd-3rd he comes off the board and I definitely see the Devone Bess comparisons as well

Day One Pick
12-07-2009, 09:57 PM
I agree completely with that. Remember Donnie Avery? Yeah no one thought he would be the first WR taken in the draft, but it happened. It just depends what a team sees in a guy or thinks is better. I say 2nd-3rd he comes off the board and I definitely see the Devone Bess comparisons as well

Great example with Donnie Avery.

BrabbitMcRabbit
12-08-2009, 01:08 AM
I can't see him leapfrogging Dez unless he runs a 4.3. Even then, Dez is just too good to not be the first WR picked. He's Bowe with better hands.

I could see Gilyard going before Thomas/Benn/LaFell/Williams/Tate though.

Crickett
12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
vNyB3IkKd7Q

jimbo
12-08-2009, 07:01 PM

Pretty different scenario. First off, Avery was taken in the second round. I'd be very surprised if there were no first round receivers this year. Second, Avery was taken in a very weak draft class for receivers, one that had no clear-cut #1 guy. There were huge questions around guys like Devin Thomas, Malcolm Kelly and Limas Sweed which ultimately led to them falling in the draft and not doing very much in the NFL.

I just find it tough to believe that Gilyard would be taken above Bryant, Williams or LaFell. I still think Gilyard's a mid-second, early third round pick and I doubt that will change following the combine.

adamprez2003
12-08-2009, 07:27 PM
I could see him going above Lafell. Perhaps a team that loses in the playoffs due to poor receiver play. The likelihood IMO is he's a second rounder to a team that needs a slot receiver

Nalej
12-08-2009, 07:34 PM
vNyB3IkKd7Q

That's awesome. I want him on the Pats. 2nd round pick, please

TACKLE
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
He'll end up going between 25-45. Somewhere in that range.

jimbo
12-09-2009, 07:32 PM
I could see him going above Lafell. Perhaps a team that loses in the playoffs due to poor receiver play. The likelihood IMO is he's a second rounder to a team that needs a slot receiver

I think LaFell's size gets him drafted earlier.

broncofan7
12-09-2009, 08:41 PM
I see him as a 2nd round pick, I wouldn't be surprised if he slipped to the third.

In my opinion there are several other prospects I would rather have than him. i.e. Damian Williams, Dez Bryant, Brandon LaFell, Golden Tate, and I'm also high on Eric Decker.