PDA

View Full Version : NFL releases what to expect from an 18 game schedule.

Iamcanadian
11-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Charley Casserly just broke on the NFL Today what's on the table for the proposed 18-game schedule:

2 preseason games then a week off. Season would still start Sunday after Labor Day.
2 bye weeks
possibly 8 or 9 international games.
and possibly expanding the playoffs.
expanding rosters and practice squad.

So this would take the NFL all the way through to the end of the season, probably sometime in late February.

Well, we won't see it unless a new CBA is signed.
2 bye weeks would be great but the season might go into January making football difficult to play in the north. Without 2 bye weeks, I cannot see the players surviving for the playoffs. Original starting lineups could be down to 50% by the time the Super Bowl rolls around. The Super Bowl could end up looking more like an exhibition game with so many walking wounded.
We all know the NFL is trying to expand its international market for increased TV revenue worldwide but it will take time before 8 or 9 games are played overseas. It would likely start with 2 or 3 games and take at least a decade before 8 or 9 are played.
Expanding the playoffs again means the season will go on well into February with a lot of cold frigid games. It is also probably very likely that byes in the playoffs will end, after all the NFL doesn't make any money on byes and they seem determined to get every penny out of the sport they can milk.
It is pretty obvious that the rosters will have to be expanded as well as practice squads.

Zaytoven
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
I'm not a fan. I like the idea of reducing the preseason to 2 games but I just can't see players staying healthy over 18 weeks of regular season games. Also, bigger rosters will just dilute talent and make the product on the field worse.

falloutboy14
11-29-2009, 12:24 PM
That would be, 28 weeks. This year with the pro-bowl before the SB, the nfl will go 26-27 depending on when how the pre-season starts.

diabsoule
11-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I'm not a fan. Don't fix what it isn't broken.

Jvig43
11-29-2009, 01:04 PM

Exactly, everyone wants to change the NFL and Im still concerned about changing the college system.

Brent
11-29-2009, 01:24 PM
This is great for business, awful for the players.

Gay Ork Wang
11-29-2009, 01:28 PM
i hate bye weeks

etk
11-29-2009, 01:39 PM
I like it. The preseason needs to become shorter....no doubt about that.

After that it's all a matter of opinion. I like having a longer season as it reduces the 7 to 9 win parity that we're accustomed to. The playoffs will be more likely to have the 6 best teams from each conference.

I don't think 2 extra regular season games will drastically change injuries in the league, especially not with 2 bye weeks. The extra bye week could actually lead to a decrease in minor injuries.

The length of the season isn't a problem either....just need to move back some of the scouting events. Prospects will have more time to prepare and us fans will have less downtime in the offseason.

Expanding rosters is something that should be done regardless. There's a good enough pool of players for each team to add a couple. Extra revenue from the extra games will cover it anyway.

Not a fan of a playoff expansion. The current system is perfect.

Not a fan of international expansion (unless it's to Canada). Just don't like it.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Just so I'm clear, they're getting rid of two games that don't matter, adding two games that would matter, and giving the players more time off during the season as a result? I'm not sure I buy that two more regular season games alone would mean all the difference in the number of injuries. Now, the weather aspect is absolutely true, and if they're also planning to expand the playoffs, this becomes a whole other thing.

Personally, I'm fine with the NFL season being how it is. If it were changed, I'd look for something a bit less dramatic, but I don't really see a need for it.

CC.SD
11-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Nooooooo not Ladainian's TD record please No.

Iamcanadian
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM

Unfortunately, it is all about money and the NFL cannot get enough to leave the game alone. This is why they cancelled the CBA, they want to set up a new NFL with a lot more revenue for themselves and a lot less for the players. Nobody really cares about the fans.

coordinator0
11-29-2009, 02:25 PM

That pretty much sums it up. Probably one of the biggest reasons for even attempting to do this. I don't like it.

Zaytoven
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Unfortunately, it is all about money and the NFL cannot get enough to leave the game alone. This is why they cancelled the CBA, they want to set up a new NFL with a lot more revenue for themselves and a lot less for the players. Nobody really cares about the fans.

They care whether the fans will continue to pay money for their product, just like every other business.

Nalej
11-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate it. If you want to cut down the preseason to 2 games then fine ( I still disagree with that though)
but leave it a 16 game season.... I fckng hate Goddell

Hurricanes25
11-29-2009, 03:57 PM
The dictator is at it again. I hate this idea. Do they seriously think that all of the players want to go to Europe to play football? I don't think so.

Brent
11-29-2009, 04:45 PM
they expect you're still stupid enough to watch the games, in spite of disliking the idea.
I dont know if that makes him stupid. Are you saying you wouldn't watch your team's games if they were played in London?

Iamcanadian
11-29-2009, 05:51 PM
The dictator is at it again. I hate this idea. Do they seriously think that all of the players want to go to Europe to play football? I don't think so.

The dictator does what the owners tell him to do. They want more revenue and are determined not only to expand the schedule, add more playoff games but also to spread the game around the world. after all, these ideas produce revenue.

BlindSite
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Longer seasons means you need bigger rosters and practice squads so I can agree with that, but we'll literally see every remaining single season record broken within a few years and the career expectancy of players shortened dramatically.

I like the format they have already, I think it's just long enough.

aNYtitan
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM
What the NFL has the moment is what works best. No need to add all this, an additional bye week, more overseas games and expanded playoffs. What we have already is a perfect mix of everything.

vikes_28
11-29-2009, 11:09 PM
I wish the NFL wasn't all about money. I have always thought that a shorter pre-season was a good idea, and I don't mind the fact that they might add 2 more games. But adding onto the playoffs is ********. I think the system that the NFL has is good enough. If they add more games in the playoffs, then it makes it that much easier for teams to make it. If they are talking about adding to the playoffs, they should think about adding a couple more teams also.

bearsfan_51
11-29-2009, 11:24 PM
So what you're telling me is that rich people like to make money? No...no that can't be right.

redbills
11-29-2009, 11:24 PM
"possibly 8 or 9 international games"

ugh.

Boston
11-29-2009, 11:32 PM
...why? The main reason I like the NFL over MLB and NBA is the amount of importance placed on every game. If you add more not only does it dilute the importance of each game, but it's also likely increases the chance for injuries to starting players, diluting the talent level as well.

Raiderz4Life
11-29-2009, 11:38 PM
I like some of the things on there like the preseason games getting cut down some and 2 more games isn't too bad.

The 8 to 9 international games i'm not so sure about...really i dont mind 1 maybe 2 but not 8 or 9

Brent
11-29-2009, 11:39 PM
i'm saying that if it really pissed me off, i wouldn't watch any games in london or wherever. if enough people had the same reaction, the owners would be likely to either re-think their decision, or abandon the idea. but because everyone will keep watching their team, the owners know that, in the end, they can do literally whatever they want with the games.
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly. While I disagree with what they are wanting to do, it's all about making that dollar and they couldnt give a **** what we think.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-29-2009, 11:40 PM
...why? The main reason I like the NFL over MLB and NBA is the amount of importance placed on every game. If you add more not only does it dilute the importance of each game, but it's also likely increases the chance for injuries to starting players, diluting the talent level as well.

It won't result in more injuries once Goodell gets his idea of changing it to the National Flag Football League past the owners.

PalmerToCJ
11-30-2009, 01:20 AM
Not a fan but the fact that it's being proposed and the revenue it would bring in for owners makes you think it's going to happen.

Cicero
11-30-2009, 01:28 AM
No no no and no.

WMD
11-30-2009, 01:33 AM
Expanding rosters and practice squad = 10 Round NFL Draft

vikes_28
11-30-2009, 01:36 AM
Expanding rosters and practice squad = 10 Round NFL Draft

=less talent.

WMD
11-30-2009, 01:53 AM
10 Round NFL Draft Schedule:

Day 1, 7PM - 8:30PM: 1st Round Picks 1-10
Day 2, 7PM - 8:30PM: 1st Round Picks 11-20
Day 3, 7PM - 8:30PM: 1st Round Picks 21-32
Day 4, 6PM - 9PM: Reflecting on the 1st Round, Brett Favre discussion
Day 5, 7PM - 9PM: NFL Discussion, 2nd Round Picks 1-16 in the background
Day 6, 8PM - 11PM: NFL Discussion, 2nd Round Picks 17-32 & Entire 3rd Round in the background
Day 7, 7PM - 10PM: Entire Rounds 4-7 and ten "Late Round Steal" montages
Day 8, 6PM - 8PM: Entire Rounds 8-10; Draft Picks announced on Twitter

niel89
11-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Am I the only person who is happy with the preseason length? I think that you need time to evaluate players and and time to make sure that your first teams are clicking. I would be fine with maybe 3 preseason games or something.

I really hope they expand the size of rosters as well as the size of the active game roster size.

I think that there is no good reason to make a longer season except for money.

International games sounds like a cool idea. A couple games at first and then do more as time passes.

Flyboy
11-30-2009, 02:12 AM
Ehhh, not too big on this idea at all.

Halsey
11-30-2009, 02:13 AM

The players get a cut of the profits. They ARE the business.

killxswitch
11-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I wonder how the player's association feels about this. On one hand this means more wear and tear, more injuries, less time off. On the other hand, more money for more players.

Brothgar
11-30-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm torn because usually by week 616 - 17 those last two gmaes are pretty meaningless for all but two to six teams I think that these added two games will be just as meaningless. The international games are good ... in theory trying to increase the international talent pool. I mean we have players from Australia, Nigeria, Canada and other countries but they are trying to get young international athletes involved will ultimately increase the talent pool like it did in the NBA. The expanded playoffs may be an over reaction to last year when the pats got left out after an 11 win season.

LonghornsLegend
11-30-2009, 10:20 AM
This is gonna screw up alot of stats, records, HOF voting down the line etc etc. I know there used to be 14 games an all and eventually it went to 16 and everyone got used to it, but I can only imagine how this is going to skew records for season stats. I also get the whole international idea but what I don't like is it takes away what is technically a 'home game' for certain teams if I'm not mistaken.

killxswitch
11-30-2009, 10:22 AM
I assume season ticket holders don't have to pay for those "home" games overseas. That seems like a no-brainer but it wouldn't surprise me if the NFL just forced people to pay even though they'd have no way to go to the game.

senormysterioso
11-30-2009, 10:28 AM
Really when you think about it, players would only be playing for the most part one extra quarter. Because the last preseason game most starters stay in for 3 quarters, as kind of a dress rehersal. So that argument is kind of out the window.

Diluting the talent pool? I see it as giving more of those border line guys a chance to succeed. Everybody on this board falls in love with sleepers, giving them a chance to succeed isn't a bad thing.

I really don't understand why everybody is so up in arms, more football is always a good thing!!!

yourfavestoner
11-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Longer seasons means you need bigger rosters and practice squads so I can agree with that, but we'll literally see every remaining single season record broken within a few years and the career expectancy of players shortened dramatically.

I like the format they have already, I think it's just long enough.

That's my problem with it. You basically throw the old record book out and start workin with a new one. Although, I guess the same thing could be said when they went from 14 to 16 games.

Note: an NFL runningback would only need to average 55 ypg to eclipse 1000 in an 18 game schedule.

The Unseen
11-30-2009, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of this. Do they mean extra week of playoffs as in extra games? If so, I don't like that. I love how the playoffs are currently.

CC.SD
11-30-2009, 12:14 PM
That's my problem with it. You basically throw the old record book out and start workin with a new one. Although, I guess the same thing could be said when they went from 14 to 16 games.

Note: an NFL runningback would only need to average 55 ypg to eclipse 1000 in an 18 game schedule.

More importantly, only 1.72 touchdowns per game to hit 31. :(

Brent
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
You can always look at per-game averages as a statistical measure. If I see a RB that averages 55 a game, I dont see a lot of value.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Won't happen. Why? Because the players would demand getting paid more. This heavily reduces their salary per week. No way they agree to it without an all around pay increase.

Jughead10
11-30-2009, 12:33 PM
Won't happen. Why? Because the players would demand getting paid more. This heavily reduces their salary per week. No way they agree to it without an all around pay increase.

If they do away with the salary cap in addition to these changes, I'm sure the players would take the trade off.

HawkeyeFan
11-30-2009, 12:50 PM
8 or 9 International games.. really? I've already voiced my opinion about this crap. International games are extremely hard on players, and then adding games to the season? That's ridiculous. Keep it the way it is right now, or move to 2 Preseason Games and add 2 weeks of Regular Season ( Same ending date ).

I hate Roger Goodell, with a passion! The man is going to ruin the NFL.

By the way, stop fother mucking messing with this stuff and get a CBA Agreement in place.

Scotty D
11-30-2009, 12:59 PM
This is probably just what Goddell brings to the table first. I mean when you negotiate you ask for more then you would accept when you start. I highly doubt you see that many international games because it would take home game revenue from the owners pockets. They won't let that happen.

Brent
11-30-2009, 01:54 PM
The man is going to ruin the NFL.
Or continue in making it insanely profitable.

You don't like the product they are giving you? Watch something else.

Monomach
11-30-2009, 01:59 PM
I like the idea of 2 more games. The extra bye week is necessary, so that's ok as long as nobody gets screwed with like 2 in a row of 2 in 3 weeks or whatever. Losing one preseason game is something I don't care about. Expanding rosters and practice squads...again, necessary because people will have to be rotated to prevent injury and whatnot. Will probably have to go back to a 10 or 11 round draft like there used to be.

Now...8-9 international games. That one's tricky. I don't see that working unless the other nation is Canada or Mexico. The previous thread about having a London team just about covered all the problems with having one European team.

Expanding the playoffs is just horse crap. Really dumb idea. They're long enough already.

Bucs_Rule
11-30-2009, 02:07 PM

More revenue means more cap room. Of course that has no benefit to players currently under contract. If the league agreed to pay all current contracts 10% more they might make them happy.

The player union could go after guaranteed contracts in exchange for more games, fixing draft salaries.

LizardState
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM

Day 6, 8PM - 11PM: NFL Discussion, 2nd Round Picks 17-32 & Entire 3rd Round in the background
Day 7, 7PM - 10PM: Entire Rounds 4-7 and ten "Late Round Steal" montages; mandatory Jerry Jones facetime interview

Embellished it for you, it's not draft day(s) without the Jerry interview.

Increased regular season, & an uncapped yr? What's wrong with that picture?

When it all settles out, they will have more games & a smaller cap, Goodell is a pure corporate CEO type & would love to crush the Players Union.

Ness
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
This is gonna screw up alot of stats, records, HOF voting down the line etc etc. I know there used to be 14 games an all and eventually it went to 16 and everyone got used to it, but I can only imagine how this is going to skew records for season stats. I also get the whole international idea but what I don't like is it takes away what is technically a 'home game' for certain teams if I'm not mistaken.

You make a very good point and I believe that is what bothers me the most out of his entire idea. When the NFL expanded from 14 games to 16 games I'm sure everyone was still skeptical since there were records that were at stake, and it cold effect Hall of Fame voting down the line. The same issues would happen in the NFL expanded to 18 games. And I believe it would be a bigger deal now and days because there are more fans than ever before and the value of statistics and records are more popular than ever. Records would be broken left and right in meaningless week 18 and 19 matchups for some teams...and we'd all have to put an asterisk next to every major record broken in a season...or in some cases, a player's career. It ruins the integrity of the game.

Gay Ork Wang
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM

Day 7, 7PM - 10PM: Entire Rounds 4-7 and ten "Late Round Steal" montages
I want your kids.

Like you **** some chick, and i raise your kids

LizardState
12-01-2009, 05:23 PM
The injury rate among RBs & LBs, the 2 most frequently injured jobs, will quadruple, & their career spans will be reduced by yrs.

Arent the fans are already saturated, burned out with FB by midseason now especially if they watch about 15 hrs. of it per weekend (on the avg. now)? Their marketing projections don't show this, all they see is $$ for additional merchandising from NFL Shop.

Players should sabotage this plan, its not in their best interests on so many levels.

vikes_28
12-01-2009, 05:50 PM
The injury rate among RBs & LBs, the 2 most frequently injured jobs, will quadruple, & their career spans will be reduced by yrs.

Arent the fans are already saturated, burned out with FB by midseason now especially if they watch about 15 hrs. of it per weekend (on the avg. now)? Their marketing projections don't show this, all they see is $$ for additional merchandising from NFL Shop.

Players should sabotage this plan, its not in their best interests on so many levels.

I don't know about you, but I can't get enough football.

LizardState
12-01-2009, 05:51 PM
that's a hell of a presumption, based on utterly no data. [citation needed] is a ******* understatement.

Note that I was asking a question, is that a ******* understatement? FB TV burnout is an individual relative response.

If a fan watched 2 college games + 3 pro games on a weekend @ 3hrs/game that = 15 hrs. It's higher now for the whole wk. with Monday & thursday night games. It's too much for even the most loyal fans.

I will take your response as a No -- Are you defending that more FB on TV is better? I'm commenting on the fact that the NFL thinks the well has no bottom, proof it's run by marketeers who could care less about the game or killing their golden goose, owners who make more with the TV contract that they don't care if they broadcast them from empty stadiums. An 18-game pro season is a just bad business, a very bad idea.

vikes_28
12-01-2009, 05:53 PM
I'd watch football 24/7 if I could.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2009, 06:28 PM
the only part of this that sucks is expanding the playoffs. every other change is a good thing. whoops, missed the international games part. that sucks, too.

and really? we're whining about the weather? this isn't fricking baseball, and it's not like the packers haven't hosted games late in the postseason. utterly asinine objection.

Yup - weather and statistical records with a sprinkle of "this is unfair to the players!" Priceless.

Give me more football games with meaning. Schedule an extra scrimmage or two for player evaluation, leave the playoff system alone, and keep spinning the wheels about the international expansion while playinge one or two games per year outside the U.S.

Seriously, some of the posters here sound like old freakin ladies who are just unwilling to see things change because "that's the way it's always been."

Crickett
12-01-2009, 06:35 PM
I love it, but I think the NFL isn't going far enough. International games? No, we need intergalactic games. Lets see the Colts play against the Patriots on the ****** moon.

Sveen
12-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Let's bring a game to Norway ;)

tjsunstein
12-01-2009, 09:05 PM
If the NFL needs to make more money, which they don't, they could just come up with more minor fines like unbuckling your chinstrap before you're off the field of play.

bearsfan_51
12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
It's not a matter of need to make more money. No multi-billion dollar corporation needs more money. They want more money. If you don't think they should have more money, don't buy their ****.

tjsunstein
12-01-2009, 09:12 PM
It's not a matter of need to make more money. No multi-billion dollar corporation needs more money. They want more money. If you don't think they should have more money, don't buy their ****.

Of course it's a great business move but I'm just not found of the idea of such a dramatic change. I think the last two preseason games could be done without, hell, maybe even just take out one. Some careers depend on those preseason games. You're really limiting the oppurtunity for UDFA to prove themselves and be consistent enough for a more than fair chance at a roster spot. A shorter preseason limits their audition.

I wasn't being serious in my previous post 'cause that's a lot of fines.

12-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm against this, primarily because it just gives the Broncos 2 more weeks to blow the division.

CC.SD
12-01-2009, 10:11 PM
I'm against this, primarily because it just gives the Broncos 2 more weeks to blow the division.

No no no, it means two extra weeks UNTIL they blow the division.

Iamcanadian
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Embellished it for you, it's not draft day(s) without the Jerry interview.

Increased regular season, & an uncapped yr? What's wrong with that picture?

When it all settles out, they will have more games & a smaller cap, Goodell is a pure corporate CEO type & would love to crush the Players Union.

The NFL is taking a huge gamble and if it backfires, we could easily lose a season and the NFL could take a real hit. The NFL is gambling the player's union will eventually give in but when you increase games and expect the players to get paid the same money or less, the players could dig in their heels and the season could be a total washout.

12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
No no no, it means two extra weeks UNTIL they blow the division.

Not necessarily. Broncos were nice to me this year and did it early enough in week 11. Much better than last year. They've learned what an acceptable level of heartbreak is, which is one that still leaves us hope at getting the wildcard.

Iamcanadian
12-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Yup - weather and statistical records with a sprinkle of "this is unfair to the players!" Priceless.

Give me more football games with meaning. Schedule an extra scrimmage or two for player evaluation, leave the playoff system alone, and keep spinning the wheels about the international expansion while playinge one or two games per year outside the U.S.

Seriously, some of the posters here sound like old freakin ladies who are just unwilling to see things change because "that's the way it's always been."

Thing is they are going to change the playoff system dramatically as I'm sure they realize there is no profit in byes. Add 2 teams to the playoffs and no team gets a bye are almost a certainty to occur. Simply adds a huge amount of revenue to their current income.
I agree that we will likely only see 2 or 3 international games initially but that won't last long. They'll add a game every year till they reach 8 or 9. You can count on it.
So you will have to live by your own words and not be 'a freakin old lady' about it.

Iamcanadian
12-01-2009, 10:36 PM
You make a very good point and I believe that is what bothers me the most out of his entire idea. When the NFL expanded from 14 games to 16 games I'm sure everyone was still skeptical since there were records that were at stake, and it cold effect Hall of Fame voting down the line. The same issues would happen in the NFL expanded to 18 games. And I believe it would be a bigger deal now and days because there are more fans than ever before and the value of statistics and records are more popular than ever. Records would be broken left and right in meaningless week 18 and 19 matchups for some teams...and we'd all have to put an asterisk next to every major record broken in a season...or in some cases, a player's career. It ruins the integrity of the game.

The integrity of the records disappeared years ago when they went from 12 to 16 games. Yes, players like Jimmy Brown played in a 12 game era.
HOF voting was practically meaningless till the 70's when the NFL began to realize it would help sell their sport. Up till then, they let practically anybody into the football HOF. It really didn't have a whole lot of meaning till the 70's.
There will be no asterisks, young people love it when their heroes set records and really don't care about players they never saw play.
Basically their is no integrity in the game, not only have schedules increased dramatically over the last 50 years, but so have playing surfaces, domed stadiums and rule changes, making practically every record tainted in some way from the previous holder.

Caddy
12-01-2009, 10:39 PM
I'd be happy to see this in place, well at least the extended regular season part. A lot of other high contact sports around the world utilise a 20+ game schedule and they seem to do ok so I'm sure the same would happen in the NFL.

brat316
12-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Woooooooooo more football 18 games. Bigger roster sizes, more PS players!!!!1111 I can't wait, more time for football, less down time for us. Also most of us should be happy now our UDFA diamond in the rough players maybe discovered. Bigger game day roster means coaches can do a lot more creative things with different players.

FlyingElvis
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Thing is they are going to change the playoff system dramatically as I'm sure they realize there is no profit in byes. Add 2 teams to the playoffs and no team gets a bye are almost a certainty to occur. Simply adds a huge amount of revenue to their current income.
I agree that we will likely only see 2 or 3 international games initially but that won't last long. They'll add a game every year till they reach 8 or 9. You can count on it.
So you will have to live by your own words and not be 'a freakin old lady' about it.

lol. I'm ok with expansion abroad. I've expressed as much in other threads and will take my shawl and coke bottle glasses off and ebrace it when it happens. The time difference will be the major hurdle, imo, so if Youarecanadian Livingincanada you should be first. ;)

The playoff schedule expansion would be ok, but I would prefer to only see that format change if new franchises are added rather than just adding 2 more wildcards to the current format.

LizardState
12-02-2009, 08:57 AM
Woooooooooo more football 18 games. Bigger roster sizes, more PS players!!!!1111 I can't wait, more time for football, less down time for us.

/\ /\ /\/\ /\ /\/\ /\ /\/\ /\ /\ /\ /\ /\

Mr. Discriminating Taste here. NFL loves fresh meat like that.

When the schedule was 14 games they finished by New Yrs. Now it starts after labor Day & doesnt finish until after New Yrs. I say go back to 14 games & add an extra bye wk, finish at the same time with less injury rate & better competitive quality of their product, which is the regular season games. The salary cap is TBD by the CBA in any case, no. of games should not be bargaining chip in it. The NFL & Goddell need to get out of this More Is Better Mindset, it's only better for their revenue & dilutes the quality of competition.

Granted some teams are always going to suck but it's almost always b/c of consistent bad mgmt. who drive away or squander their talent base in the FA era. Until their ownership changes or the NFL realigns divisions so they don't get swept twice annually by juggernaut rivals IDK that it's going to change.

AJHawk50
12-02-2009, 09:21 AM
That's ridiculous...we don't need more than 1 international game. Like others have said, it's not broke don't fix it. There is nothing wrong with it. If anything making it longer makes it worse as far as injuries.

Iamcanadian
12-02-2009, 11:09 AM
yes. sammy baugh, red grange, george halas, don hutson, bronko nagurski, ernie nevers, jim thorpe, otto graham, sid luckman, steve van buren, chuck bednarik, paul brown, bobby layne, elroy hirsch... pretty much a bunch of nobodies.

did you actually think you knew what you were talking about, or was this pretty much an outright bluff?

Of course the stars got in, I said they let practically everybody in, so the stars are also in. Football used to just use the HOF to honour players and owners for a # of things, years of service, long careers etc. Performance wasn't the only criteria like it is today. I never said they excluded the stars like you seem to be suggesting. It isn't till recent times that the Football HOF became similar to the baseball HOF and demanded stricter rules about who deserves to go in and who doesn't. It just wasn't that big a deal until the 70's and 80's when football as a sport really took off.
Television, gambling and a bunch of baseball strikes brought football to the forefront of American sports and with expansion they quickly rose to the top of the heap. Before that football was on par with basketball and was miles behind baseball as America's #1 sport.
This isn't some attempt at a bright idea from me, this was common knowledge back in the 50's and 60's if you followed pro football.

Staubach12
12-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I like the system we have. If we have 8 or 9 international games every year, I'm going to be pissed.

NY+Giants=NYG
12-02-2009, 12:28 PM

I actually don't mind the idea. They are being proactive, so let's see if this actually gets passed.

Iamcanadian
12-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I actually don't mind the idea. They are being proactive, so let's see if this actually gets passed.

Personally between the owners and the players, I tend to side somewhat with the players who put their bodies on the line for their sport every weekend. However, what worries me is that we could lose a season to both sides greed. On the surface it appears that the owners want to put their thumb on the player's throat and press hard for concessions depending on the fact that the players have basically folded during any previous strike or lockout. However if the players get angry enough against the owners, this strike or lockout could be long and mean and we might easily see a whole season lost over the new CBA. Not something I'm looking forward to.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 01:07 PM
i dont know why everyone is so against the international games.

falloutboy14
12-02-2009, 01:22 PM

Same here. It's more revenue, more money for the league, & a higher salary cap for players. 10 years from now, it could be a massive money stream. I'm curious what sites other then London & Mexico city they're wanting to try. I'd suggest Japan (there's been pre-season games there before) but it'd be aired @ about 5am. It'd be tough to time a game that's not in Western Europe, or North/South America.

The Unseen
12-02-2009, 01:30 PM
Or continue in making it insanely profitable.

You don't like the product they are giving you? Watch something else.

meh. you can not like where something is going but still be a fan of the product. I agree that people should turn away if they really hate it, but I think minor beefs are healthy and natural. Otherwise, businesses won't be able to work off any constructive criticism from its paying customers and make reforms that listen to them. Complete "buying strikes" are a later step, not a necessary step.

Crickett
12-02-2009, 01:35 PM

Because its one thing to have to fly cross country. Its another thing to have a team like the Jacksonville Jaguars fly 15 hours to Japan to play the San Francisco in Japan and then 15 hours. Or should the NFL decide to expand there, the Tokyo Eyeshields.

I'll say that the other way.

Its one thing for the San Diego Chargers fly to Massachusetts to play the Patriots. Its a whole 'nother thing to have them fly to Frankfurt, Germany to play them. Or should the NFL expand there, the Frankfurt Galaxy. And then have to fly all the way back to San Diego.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Because its one thing to have to fly cross country. Its another thing to have a team like the Jacksonville Jaguars fly 15 hours to Japan to play the San Francisco in Japan and then 15 hours. Or should the NFL decide to expand there, the Tokyo Eyeshields.

I'll say that the other way.

Its one thing for the San Diego Chargers fly to Massachusetts to play the Patriots. Its a whole 'nother thing to have them fly to Frankfurt, Germany to play them. Or should the NFL expand there, the Frankfurt Galaxy. And then have to fly all the way back to San Diego.
thats why they usually have the bye week after those games.

im not really a fan of the expansion thing unless they come up with something like they play all home games in the first half with every team getting a bye and then traveling to the us in their bye and play the teams there.

but even though expansions are not good, i dont think 5-6 extra international games would be so bad. it would hit a team maybe once every 2 years, its not that bad.

i mean, it didnt seem to hurt the giants the year they won the superbowl.

CC.SD
12-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Only reason I don't like International games is because it steals home games from the fans who actually give a crap. I mean this isn't the MLB or NBA, there are only 8 home games. 9 if this ridiculousness goes through. They are to be treasured and snuggled and cherished.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
then again, everyone will lose one. Everyone is treated the same over the course of the time

CC.SD
12-02-2009, 02:57 PM
then again, everyone will lose one. Everyone is treated the same over the course of the time

I do not view this is a good thing though.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 03:06 PM
considering that you give all the fans outside of the US to see other teams play, i think its a rather small price to pay.
I mean consider if you watch the NFL and you are a big fan but you are in another country, wouldnt you want to at least get the chance to see a game live? just like the Champions League, i bet tons of big soccer fans in the USA would love to see one in the US.

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 03:22 PM
i have utterly no idea how this was common knowledge for thirteen years before the first class was even inducted.
pssst, logic doesnt work

vikes_28
12-02-2009, 03:27 PM
I would love International games. As long as they stay in the Time Zone's of the US.

Brothgar
12-02-2009, 03:46 PM
considering that you give all the fans outside of the US to see other teams play, i think its a rather small price to pay.
I mean consider if you watch the NFL and you are a big fan but you are in another country, wouldnt you want to at least get the chance to see a game live? just like the Champions League, i bet tons of big soccer fans in the USA would love to see one in the US.

There are soccer fans in the US?

Gay Ork Wang
12-02-2009, 03:56 PM
some. just check the Soccer Thread!

The Unseen
12-02-2009, 09:35 PM
I would love International games. As long as they stay in the Time Zone's of the US.

You mean in the Americas?

vikes_28
12-02-2009, 09:59 PM
You mean in the Americas?

Yeah that too.