PDA

View Full Version : Should Eric Berry coming back for another year?

GoBroncos
11-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Should He?

dex
11-29-2009, 12:50 PM
Kiffin on Berry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just said on "The Lane Kiffin Show" when speaking of what a great player he is

"We are going to miss him a lot"

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Got a link GB? I personally won't believe it until the deadline is passed. I just don't see any reason for him to come back unless he loves college that much. It's not like Tennessee will be competing for a national championship next year.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 02:28 PM
If this is true, his advisors need some advising. Hell, Lane Kiffin isn't doing his job if he advised him to stay.

Look at it from this standpoint. What if the NFL does have a lockout next year and then the following year a rookie salary cap is put into place. This kid could potentially lose $30-40 million. He's a lock to be a top 7 pick with a chance to be the #1 overall pick. Reguardless of how he plays next year he isn't going to be able to improve his stock. We've all seen this before, we know he could dramatically hurt his stock. It's not like Tennessee is some sort of favorite to win the National Championship. What's his motive? Come back to Tennessee to go 7-5 and play in the Chick-fil-A Bowl?

CashmoneyDrew
11-29-2009, 02:33 PM
If this is true, his advisors need some advising. Hell, Lane Kiffin isn't doing his job if he advised him to stay.

If anyone has advised Berry to stay I highly doubt it's been Kiffin. He's been saying since he got here that he's just happy they had him for one season and that he expects Berry to leave after this year.

If Berry did choose to stay it would probably just be his own decision.

Day One Pick
11-29-2009, 02:48 PM
If anyone has advised Berry to stay I highly doubt it's been Kiffin. He's been saying since he got here that he's just happy they had him for one season and that he expects Berry to leave after this year.

If Berry did choose to stay it would probably just be his own decision.

It's hard to say, it's all speculation as to if anyone advised him one way or another. What I'm saying is, with this kids unique situation I would feel it Lane Kiffin's job/duty to advise Berry to leave and never look back.

SRogers92
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
No link, still?

FUNBUNCHER
11-30-2009, 04:08 PM
From an academic standpoint, I love to see guys staying for 4 years and getting their degree.
But if I were Berry's academic advisor, I think I'd have to advise him you can finish your degree in summer school. You can't turn your back on potentially being a top 5 pick, and if someone is whispering in Berry's ear he has a shot to be a #1 in 2011, they need to be stoned to death!

He's more than proven himself in college football, no one cares that he only had 2 INTs this season.

Great move for the Vols.
Bad for Berry.

thule
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Doesn't he have a family member dealing with health issues. I thought the money was kinda important in this situation if I remember right.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd hate to say he'd be nuts to go back for his senior year but he'd be nuts. Bradford and Grehsam would attest to that and they play arguably less violent positions than that of a safety. Going to mess up a lot of mocks if he does stay.

CashmoneyDrew
11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
It would pain me to say it, but if I saw EB again I'd have to tell him that he should go pro unless his heart is just that set on staying in college for another year.

CC.SD
11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
Get this kid into the NFL yesterday. BS rumor, he won't stay.

P-L
11-30-2009, 06:20 PM
His stock isn't going to get any higher than it is now. Going back to school just risks having a down year or getting injured. Regardless of how well he plays next year, a safety is only going to go so high and I think he's at that point right about now.

Hines
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
Vince Young said the same thing after winning the National Championship and Shady McCoy said it last year. Berry COULD be the first pick. I think he comes out.

wonderbredd24
11-30-2009, 06:40 PM
Surprise

He returned kicks

Lane Kiffin is already tired

Babylon
11-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Vince Young said the same thing after winning the National Championship and Shady McCoy said it last year. Berry COULD be the first pick. I think he comes out.

Dont they all say that in December? (a few exceptions). Jake Locker said on the radio the other day he hasnt even thought about it. Come on Jake we arent that gullible.

TitanHope
11-30-2009, 06:45 PM
Absolutely nothing to this rumor. Checked www.volnation.com, an ESPN affiliated website, and absolutely no mention of it appears there, it's forum, nor ESPN's website as well. No clue where the OP read this.

Close?

djp
11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Berry's good, and he may be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft, but that doesn't mean he's going in the top 5 or even top 10. I'd say he's around the 6-10 range right now. He's shown some warts this year and it's hard to justify a top 5 pick on a safety that isn't quite can't miss with how bad some of these lower teams are right now.

CashmoneyDrew
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Berry's good, and he may be the 2nd or 3rd best player in the draft, but that doesn't mean he's going in the top 5 or even top 10. I'd say he's around the 6-10 range right now. He's shown some warts this year and it's hard to justify a top 5 pick on a safety that isn't quite can't miss with how bad some of these lower teams are right now.

Other than Auburn were he had a few bad plays that got magnified he's been pretty damn good. I think he's entitled to one bad game. I guess he had a bad second half against Ole Miss, but that's really it. His down year to INTs can be attributed to teams avoiding him in the passing game and Monte having him play really close to the line of scrimmage.

etk
11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
Berry is certainly a can't miss safety prospect. What warts?

djp
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
Berry is certainly a can't miss safety prospect. What warts?

Can't miss safety prospect = Sean Taylor ... Berry's not Sean Taylor.

He's got a tendency to miss some tackles, he takes some bad angles to the ball (and yes I've seen more than just the Auburn game)That's really about it. I know teams have avoided him (see my big board), he's still the #3 prospect for me.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I wore an Eric Berry sig for like 2 months in the offseason. He's a playmaker, but he's not perfect. Which is what you need to be if you're going to go in the top 5 of the draft.

Safety's just not that important of a position minus one or two team's defensive schemes (like Baltimore and Pittsburgh)

Berry isn't a "luxury" pick so to speak, but you'd have a tough time taking him over a franchise defensive tackle, franchise quarterback, or franchise tackle.

Now, if a team sees him as a guy who can play cornerback at the same level, then we're talking about something totally different.

HawkeyeFan
11-30-2009, 08:02 PM
Why are people getting upset? Excuse him for wanting him to live one more year in the College Football atmosphere and finish his education.

I persoanlly prefer the college atmosphere over the NFL. Of course I'm an Iowa Hawkeye fan and we have an incredible atmosphere, one of the best. And a St. Louis Rams fan where, well... the warm bodies with the crappy play that the Rams have had on the field have pretty much deteriorated the atmospher in a Global Warming type of way, right Al Gore?

TitanHope
11-30-2009, 08:29 PM
Now, if a team sees him as a guy who can play cornerback at the same level, then we're talking about something totally different.

Would being a CB somehow improve his draft position? Because I'd disagree with that.

We're just a few seasons away from a Safety being named DPOY, and guys like Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu have proven that Safeties can be game changers on defense. You may not believe Berry is a can't miss prospect, but he's shown that he's a game changer. To me, that's worth a Top 5 pick.

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm going to move the discussion since there is no link.

wogitalia
11-30-2009, 11:29 PM
Safety's just not that important of a position minus one or two team's defensive schemes (like Baltimore and Pittsburgh)

I disagree here, safety has become one of the most important positions on a defense. The only time it is not important is if you are hiding them because you don't have a good one.

Colts with Sanders were elite a few years ago(SB year) and when he misses they are very much middle of the pack. Steelers and Polamalu, Ravens and Reed, Saints with Sharper this year. Merriweather is carrying the Patriots defense. Wilson on the Cards.

Safety play has become pivotal and if you have a great one, you are just that much better of a team. The teams that have been "elite" defenses for sustained periods of time over the last 5 years have had elite safety play. Ravens, Steelers, Bears(they were a different defense with Mike Brown, everyone else was replaceable it seemed), Eagles. They have probably been the 4 best defenses over the last 5 years. Only the Vikings have really been consistently good on defense without an elite safety(I'm sure I'm forgetting someone else) and Sharper is showing that was a scheme thing more than anything because Sharper was horrible in his last couple of seasons in Minny.

WCH
11-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Why are people getting upset? Excuse him for wanting him to live one more year in the College Football atmosphere and finish his education.

What's wrong with staying college and finishing his education? He's being mentioned as a top-10 pick!

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=NfL&id=5135

10/7/2009: Signed a six-year, $32 million contract. The deal includes $17 million guaranteed. Another $8 million is available through incentives. The contract can void to five years based on "unlikely to be earned" Pro Bowl and playing-time triggers. 2009-2013: Under Contract, 2014: $4 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

That was the tenth pick in 2009. $17 million dollars can buy a whole lot of education and college-atmosphere during the offseason.

And for those who would say that "the money will be there next year;" ask Brian Brohm or James Laurinaitis about how much that train of thought can blow up in your face.

There's not a career counselor on the planet who would suggest anything other than taking the $17 Million dollars and never looking back.

djp
11-30-2009, 11:37 PM
I disagree here, safety has become one of the most important positions on a defense. The only time it is not important is if you are hiding them because you don't have a good one.

Colts with Sanders were elite a few years ago(SB year) and when he misses they are very much middle of the pack. Steelers and Polamalu, Ravens and Reed, Saints with Sharper this year. Merriweather is carrying the Patriots defense. Wilson on the Cards.

Safety play has become pivotal and if you have a great one, you are just that much better of a team. The teams that have been "elite" defenses for sustained periods of time over the last 5 years have had elite safety play. Ravens, Steelers, Bears(they were a different defense with Mike Brown, everyone else was replaceable it seemed), Eagles. They have probably been the 4 best defenses over the last 5 years. Only the Vikings have really been consistently good on defense without an elite safety(I'm sure I'm forgetting someone else) and Sharper is showing that was a scheme thing more than anything because Sharper was horrible in his last couple of seasons in Minny.

But, when you're a bad team, you're going to take the defensive lineman/quarterback/offensive lineman 99 times out of 100 over the safety.

And I would argue that the only safety similar to Eric Berry out of that list is Ed Reed. Eric Berry is not Adrian Wilson, Troy Polamalu, or Bob Sanders. They're completely different players. Those other safeties are 4th linebackers that can cover. I know Kiffin has played Berry close to the LOS for much of the year to help with the run, but that's not his best game from what I've seen.

I'm not a GM, but I really would be surprised if he goes in the top 5. I guess it depends on who has the pick.

descendency
12-01-2009, 12:40 AM
If he doesn't bust, he'll make the bulk of his money in his second and third contract. No reason to throw away one of the best years of your life to go to work.

The NFL isn't like college football. It's a job. College football is serious, but the NFL is wake up, work, sleep. repeat.

In college, he's a stud. Everyone loves him. He's one of the best on the field. In the NFL, he's a rookie.

I don't understand why everyone is so ready to make the move. Plus, I think an extra year under Montey Kiffin could be good for him.

GhostDeini
12-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Are you kidding me with this question ? What does Eric Berry have left to prove at the college level ? He is a top 3 pick and should get paid millions. You can always go back to college.

The real question is if Taylor Mays can come back for a 5th year somehow. He hasn't proven a damn thing.

etk
12-01-2009, 03:31 PM
Can't miss safety prospect = Sean Taylor ... Berry's not Sean Taylor.

He's got a tendency to miss some tackles, he takes some bad angles to the ball (and yes I've seen more than just the Auburn game)That's really about it. I know teams have avoided him (see my big board), he's still the #3 prospect for me.

I love the guy, don't get me wrong. I wore an Eric Berry sig for like 2 months in the offseason. He's a playmaker, but he's not perfect. Which is what you need to be if you're going to go in the top 5 of the draft.

Berry isn't a "luxury" pick so to speak, but you'd have a tough time taking him over a franchise defensive tackle, franchise quarterback, or franchise tackle.

Berry is an impact player. I don't care what position he plays. He's explosive, hits hard and is a playmaker. I think he's a mix of Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu. The only way he can improve is by getting bigger. Aside from that he's about as close as it gets to perfect.

He also has the athletic ability to be a Pro Bowl CB. Is that enough value for you?