PDA

View Full Version : worst article ever

Prowler
11-30-2009, 11:57 AM
http://www.detnews.com/article/20091130/SPORTS0101/911300364/Jeff-Backus-is-a-rock-for-Lions?

Tim Twentyman / The Detroit News
Allen Park -- It seems every spring, right around NFL draft time, Lions fans ratchet up their desire for the team to select an "elite" left tackle to take the place of nine-year incumbent Jeff Backus.
Fans have been clamoring for years for a 6-foot-6, 325-pound, young, athletic behemoth to anchor the left side of the line for the next 10 to 12 years.
But every year for the last nine years, those fans are left disappointed on draft day. There's an explanation for that -- Backus isn't the problem and the Lions know it.
The Lions have a multitude of needs and left tackle isn't even in the top 10.
Five games from the completion of his ninth NFL season, Backus, 32, is playing some of the best football of his career.

are you ******* serious?

we don't need a franchise LT because we already have one?!?
Left tackle is supposed to solidify the line by neutralizing the best pass rusher, but our oline sucks. also, where is his leadership? that line is absolutely horrible so its not like his presence is inspiring greatness from his teammates. the entire green bay game stafford had to run for his life. i don't remember a play where he stayed in the pocket to throw. backus may be a good guy off the field, but on it we need an upgrade.

according to profootballfocus
jeff backus 6 sacks 5 qb hits 17 qb pressures
michael oher 2 sacks 6 qb hits 15 qb pressures(gaither 3/2/5)
joe thomas 3 sacks 4 qb hits 5 qb pressures
jake long 3 sacks 3 qb hits 4 qb pressures
ryan clady 3 sacks 4 qb hits 9 qb pressures

Bengals78
11-30-2009, 12:02 PM
I think that guy is friends with Backus.
Out of all those LT's listed, Backus should be giving up the LEAST of any of them. Rookies and 2-3 year players.
Part of the Bengals success this year has been Andrew Whitworth holding down the left side and keeping Carson up right.

Scotty D
11-30-2009, 01:36 PM
http://newsimg.ngfiles.com/90000/90075_lolwut.jpg

The most impressive thing about his consecutive games started streak is that we've let him start that many games in a row. :/

Babylon
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
I'll admit i dont see as many games as some of the regulars but in the 3 that i've seen i'll agree Backus isnt the problem. Flame away.

Brodeur
11-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Backus has played next to so many horrible left guards that maybe he is underrated by some Lions fans, but he isn't anything more than mediocre.

P-L
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll admit i dont see as many games as some of the regulars but in the 3 that i've seen i'll agree Backus isnt the problem. Flame away.
He's not the biggest problem, but he's still a problem.

And they original article is wrong, Backus is not playing the best football of his career. He actually had some pretty good years in 2002, 2003, and 2005. He gave up 9 sacks in 48 games those three years. He's given up 7.5 in 11 games this year. Granted, he's kept his penalties down this year but his pass protection has been pretty poor.

I've always said I've been willing to give Backus a fair chance if he had a competent left guard playing next to him. Which is why I wouldn't be opposed to taking Mike Iupati with our second round pick rather than Russell Okung in the first.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 03:37 PM
He's not the biggest problem, but he's still a problem.

And they original article is wrong, Backus is not playing the best football of his career. He actually had some pretty good years in 2002, 2003, and 2005. He gave up 9 sacks in 48 games those three years. He's given up 7.5 in 11 games this year. Granted, he's kept his penalties down this year but his pass protection has been pretty poor.

I've always said I've been willing to give Backus a fair chance if he had a competent left guard playing next to him. Which is why I wouldn't be opposed to taking Mike Iupati with our second round pick rather than Russell Okung in the first.

I like the logic there of not taking Okung 1st, who i think is a bit overrated. Here's a question though, how are you going to take Iupati in the second if you're taking Gerhart there?:)

Prowler
11-30-2009, 03:58 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/270739-detroit-lion-left-tackle-jeff-backus-is-he-really-that-bad

this is the first random article that i could google to prove my point without doing any of the math.

One thing that has bothered me is I never knew how Backus stacked up to other left tackles in the league until I found this site by STATS Hosted Solution. There are tons of football stat sites that will give you a lot of breakdowns but none really for offensive linemen.

So I took the time to create an Excel spreadsheet, go to each team site on NFL.com and check the depth chart as to who plays left tackle for each team in the NFL. The results are a bit mind-boggling.

Rather than list all 32 left tackles, I've limited to those that have played in 100 games. Backus has played 133 games with out missing any games due to injury. That would be about the best thing you could say about him.

Team Player Years Games Sacks Allowed Avg Sacks Per Year

Lions Backus 9 133 67.25 7.47

Vikings McKinnie 8 105 51 6.38

Patriots Light 9 118 56.75 6.31

Giants Diehl 7 101 42.5 6.07

Cardinals Gandy 9 100 44.75 4.97

Cowboys Adams 12 171 56.75 4.73

Bears Pace 13 162 58.5 4.50

Redskins Samuels 10 141 44.75 4.48

Seahawks Jones 13 180 57.25 4.40

There you have it folks...in black and white, this proves that Jeff Backus is indeed the worst starting left tackle in the National Football League.

noondog
12-01-2009, 04:38 PM
I don't believe that Backus is the worst left tackle in the league. Having said that, one of the earlier comments saying that he is mediocre at best is true imo.

The Lions do have a lot of holes to fill. If Okung is the BPA when the Lions pick, then take him. If not and there's someone else who has better value (McCoy as an example), then pick him. Maybe Jason Fox will be available in round 2 and provide the best value at that point.

The bottom line is that the Lions have way too many holes to fill to concentrate on one position, especially on defence.

Of course, the logical argument to this is that Stafford must be protected, which I agree with. I'm hoping that at least Iupati or Mike Williams will be drafted by the Lions this year to help the interior of the line as a minimum, however free agency may provide what we're looking for as far as O-line goes as well.

Long story short, I want the team to continue drafting high end talent for the time being.

I do have to add this...hindsight being what it is, how nice would it have been to have Oher on the team right now...

WMD
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
I do have to add this...hindsight being what it is, how nice would it have been to have Oher on the team right now...
Eh, he's playing RT in Baltimore. We've already got Gosder!

StorminNorman
12-02-2009, 04:02 PM
Eh, he's playing RT in Baltimore. We've already got Gosder!

He's playing RT in Baltimore only because Gaither is back. Oher can play LT on most teams in this league.

I actually agree with the article posted though. Bachus has played well enough this season. He obvious isn't a long term answer, but I think we can develop a future LT behind him, no need to reach for a LT this year in the first round.

Prowler
12-02-2009, 04:22 PM
backus is alive and starting. those are his best attributes. every game that i've seen him in he has directly cost us 5-6 mistakes (sacks, qb pressures documented or not, etc). i do see guard as the least talented position on our line, but that just makes backus a sh**** rock on a sh*** line.

Scotty D
12-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Backus should be playing RT for us. Instead we had to trade down instead of drafting Brandon Albert, and then we drafted Gosder over Otah! **** me sideways

Calvin & Kevin
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Instead of saying "we could have had Otah," it's more appropriate to say we could have had Gaither. Ravens used a 4th rounder in the supplemental draft to get him; ours would have been a higher 4th rounder, and we used that pick instead to draft A.J. Davis, who didn't even make the team out of camp and to this day has never appeared in a NFL regular season game. Thanks Millen!

Scotty D
12-03-2009, 06:36 AM
Ugh AJ Davis, Kenneth Moore

Maybe Next Year Millen2
12-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Backus actually played well on Thanksgiving other than the one sack at the end of the half. He's mediocre, he gives up sacks and some penalties but he actually doesn't give up that many Qb hurries. I usually rewatch the games focusing on just Oline and Dline. Its feast or famine with him. Given his age of 32 and salary of 8.5 million for 2010 and the fact that he is just mediocre, we should pull the trigger on Okung if he is there depending on the board of course. Or a good Round 2 LT if he is BPA. Okung alone doesn't fix this line, we still need a stud LG and Raiola/Peterman and Gosder just have to flat out play better for this Oline to improve. Qb makes a difference though, Stafford has been sacked 21 times in 9 games. Daunte/Stanton got sacked 12 times in 2 games. Staffords injuries were Gosders/Petermans fault and the shoulder was him running around just trying to make a play at the end of the game.

detknowitall
12-18-2009, 04:50 PM
Is he a problem....Yes.

Is he a problem that is worth adressing over a OG, CB, S, DT, DE, RB, WR......No.

In the grand scheme of things there are much much bigger issues. I would say Gosders lack of improvement is a bigger concern as well. He's still playing like a rookie and getting beat constantly.

SINCE1978
12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Again I will say put a competent/consistent G next to the man, acquired through the draft, combined with a healthy Pettigrew(2 if's) and he could be functional at LT for 2010 imo.
Backus has had approx. a dozen LG through the years ... heck 4-5 just this year in Loper, Gandy, Ramirez, my grandmother (oops).

Get the LT next year in the draft.
There are always 2-3 stud prospects ...
We will be picking high again ...
Get the DT, DE some G's this draft ...
LT in 2011 and Backus probably calls it a career. He signed a 6 yr extension in 06 so technically 2012 is is last contract year ...