PDA

View Full Version : University of Kansas prospects

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
With the season over I'll offer my writeup of the potential pro prospects from this seasons SR/JR's on the KU team.

* Kerry Meier; WR, 6'3/220#. Former QB moved to WR part-time as a soph. Only began practicing at WR fulltime this season. Responded by catching 102 passes for 985 yards with a long of 71 yards. In 2.5 years at WR became KU's all time leading pass catcher. Pros: Has great hands, good explosiveness (rumored 4.5 40 yard dash, 34+" vertical), upside (still learning the position), body-control and route running ability. Great toughness. Cons: Has only played fulltime at WR for 1 year, injury concerns (played thru nagging injuries for much of JR year), faster than he is quick. Pro comparison: Dwayne Bowe or Mushin Muhammed.
http://theshiver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/kerry-meier.jpg

* Maxwell Onyebule; DE, 6'5"/258#. Good coordination and looks fluid on the field but isn't overly athletic (4.9+ 40, 28-30" vert). Part-time starter as a JR/SR. Consistently around the ball and can make outstanding plays (36 yard int return for TD as a SR, 21 yard int return as a JR). Pros: Long-arms, quickness, well rounded/decent athleticism, knack for being around the ball. Cons: Never could consistently put it all together even though he benefited by having Jake Laptad on the other side of the line. Pro Comparison: Can't think of one. Could possibly make the move to 3-4 OLB.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/kan/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3571055.jpeg

* Todd Reesing; QB, 5'11/185#. All Big XII QB is a playmaker when healthy but lets just be honest...the NFL isn't looking for 5'9.5" QB's who are better off rolling out of the pocket and throwing on the run than dropping back. Good college QB but very limited pro potential. Pros: Very good at avoiding the rush, great quickness, can improvise and make plays when the protection breaks down, throws fastballs on the short-medium range passes. Cons: Will occasionally stare down a receiver, balls flutter on passes over 40 yards, will take losses trying to make a big play. Pro Comparison: Doug Flutie with less arm strength.
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/7137-1/ToddReesing.jpg

* Jake Sharp; RB, 5'11/190#. Fastest player on the roster is a great athlete, rushed for 800+ yards during his SO/JR seasons but missed the equivalent of 3.5 games as a SR with a fractured tibia. Super explosive, rumored to have been electronically timed at 4.29 in the 40 yard dash during spring testing before his SR year. Tied Cowboys CB Terrence Newman's school record in the 100m dash with a 10.36 in highschool (http://www.usd305.com/central/athletics/Track/Track%20Records.htm).
Pros: Speed and explosiveness, very good at catching the ball out of the backfield, toughness (played thru cracked ribs as a JR, attempted to play thru a cracked tibia as a SR). Has never fumbled in his entire career, not just never lost a fumble, he's never fumbled period (http://espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=191559) Cons: Size/Durability (for all his toughness his body has broken down every time the team used him as the featured back). Pro comparison: Can't think of one. Possesses similar size/skillset as Chris Johnson but less size and explosiveness.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_lLsdaCVk3Kk/SY7xe7I3uhI/AAAAAAAAvTI/LXooI3_2I-g/JakeSharp06.jpg

* Darrell Stuckey, SS, 6'1/205#. Great combination of instincts/intelligence and athleticism. Probably the most complete player on the roster. Not flashy but does everything very well. Also averaged 25+ yards per kick return as well. Hard to find a knock on the guy. Pros: Great instincts, very smart player, very good all around athlete. Cons: Has had minor injury problems over 2 season in his career. Pro comparison: Erik Coleman
http://www.nationalchamps.net/2009/sub/pics/small/kansas_darrell_stuckey.jpg

* Justin Thornton, FS, 6'1/212#. Marginal pro prospect due to limited athleticism. Pros: Good vertical explosiveness but average to below average speed (4.65-4.7 40 yard dash). Cons: Not overly instinctive and doesn't take great pursuit angles. Pro Comparison: Aaron Francisco.
http://cdn.bleacherreport.com/images_root/image_pictures/0685/7311/104541_feature.jpg

* Dezmon Briscoe, WR, 6'3/205#. I'll copy and paste the write-up that I posted in another thread. It's a 90% forgone conclusion Briscoe will enter the draft this year. He struggles with academics and the rumor is that his family is struggling for money. While Briscoe has great open-field running ability and body control his speed and hands (i.e lack of concentration) make him a give-and-take player. For every good/great play he'll make he will let an easy ball slip thru his hands and hit him in the facemask. His route running ability and quickness allow him to get separation from DB's and make up for his lack of top-end speed he reminds me a bit of Ed McCaffrey though McCaffrey may have been a step faster (Briscoe is said to run in the low 4.6's). With his penchant for dropping balls I might even say a less athletic Braylon Edwards. I will add that he does he a good job of high-pointing the ball when it's in the air, that's something other WR's struggle with.
http://images.athlonsports.com/d/13776-1/DezmonBriscoe_001.jpg

Shane P. Hallam
11-30-2009, 02:32 PM
I've watched a fair amount of Kansas games this year. I think you overrate a few prospects. I like Meier as a college player, but he only a late round possession WR at the next level. I do like Dezmon Briscoe a lot, he could come out, and if he works out well, be a hot prospect.

Big Bird
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
cfbstats.com just released some stats last week regarding fumbling and they have Jake Sharp down for 2 fumbles in 522 Touches. I think Sharp is pretty much a Danny Woodhead clone. He'll be a very nice practice squad guy for teams because of his speed, quickness, and catching ability,that he could serve multiple roles on a Practice Squad (trying to simulate Chris Johnson's speed or Wes Welker's quickness from the slot). Is 53-man roster material? No, but like I said, he should be able to help out some team on the PS.

And I agree with what you said on Briscoe and Stuckey. Briscoe also body catches some of the times which I never like. I think he has the ability to be a very good #2 and is a solid 2nd Rounder.

Brent
11-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Thank you, OP, for not comparing white players to other white players.

That said, I am curious to see what Jake Sharp does in workouts. I like his vision, but I worry teams will hesitate on him.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
possession WR at the next level.

Like Dwayne Bowe...

cfbstats.com just released some stats last week regarding fumbling and they have Jake Sharp down for 2 fumbles in 522 Touches.

I thought I remembered him having 1-2 over his career but when I checked the stats on ESPN they said 0, still, it is what it is, he doesn't drop the rock. As for the rest of your post, I could see him sneaking onto a roster as a KR if nothing else works out.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
Once again, I'm going to praise you publicly in a thread for sheer etiquette. It's nice to see someone using only one thread for their team's prospects, and displaying a decent amount of insight, so good job there. Your opinion of Meier, as Shane touched on, is very high but he's somewhat of a mystery because of his inexperience at the position. I'm excited to see him play against the nation's top senior cornerbacks at the Senior Bowl, and I'm excited to see initial feedback from scouts & coaches.

nhlkdog411
11-30-2009, 02:55 PM
cfbstats.com just released some stats last week regarding fumbling and they have Jake Sharp down for 2 fumbles in 522 Touches. I think Sharp is pretty much a Danny Woodhead clone. He'll be a very nice practice squad guy for teams because of his speed, quickness, and catching ability,that he could serve multiple roles on a Practice Squad (trying to simulate Chris Johnson's speed or Wes Welker's quickness from the slot). Is 53-man roster material? No, but like I said, he should be able to help out some team on the PS.

And I agree with what you said on Briscoe and Stuckey. Briscoe also body catches some of the times which I never like. I think he has the ability to be a very good #2 and is a solid 2nd Rounder.

Sharp to Danny Woodhead? Sharp is a lean, blazing speed back where as woodhead was a 5'6'' bowling ball with quickness and change of direction...

Babylon
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Sharp should try to play corner and i'm serious on that.

Briscoe has the size and ability to be a quality possesion receiver.

Meier reminds me of Kevin Walter of the Texans.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
Once again, I'm going to praise you publicly in a thread for sheer etiquette. It's nice to see someone using only one thread for their team's prospects, and displaying a decent amount of insight, so good job there. Your opinion of Meier, as Shane touched on, is very high but he's somewhat of a mystery because of his inexperience at the position. I'm excited to see him play against the nation's top senior cornerbacks at the Senior Bowl, and I'm excited to see initial feedback from scouts & coaches. Most of what I posted is only marginally arguable, he does have great hands and route-running ability (you don't get 102 catches without them). The upside thing is obvious given he has only played WR for ~2 years.
I think a lot of people are sleeping on Meier's athleticism due to watching him as a JR (when he was playing with a pull hamstring and sprained knee for 80% of the season). I think it's important to note that coming out of high school he was the #14 ranked dual-threat QB in the nation by Rivals.com. He also clocked a laser-timed 4.60 during at one of the Nike/SPARQ Combines the summer before his SR year in high school (Rivals verified on their website). I would say it's a safe bet that he had gotten faster and more explosive during his tenure at KU. Time will tell though, he has the skillset to succeed. Dwayne Bowe is doing it now and players like former Saints WR Eric Martin were doing it in years past. Like you, I'm excited to see how he is evaluated by NFL personnel. I do think practicing against Aqib Talib for 3 years certainly helped his cause.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 03:09 PM
Sharp should try to play corner and i'm serious on that. He has tight hips.

Briscoe has the size and ability to be a quality possesion receiver. I agree.

Meier reminds me of Kevin Walter of the Texans.Not a bad comparison actually though Walter is quicker.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I do think practicing against Aqib Talib for 3 years certainly helped his cause.

He was playing QB back in the Talib days with the exception of maybe one year. He has some nice WR skills, but it's very possible to be a good player & athlete and not be a good NFL prospect. The NFL's for the best, so it's all about how Meier separates himself from other receivers in this class. There are a bunch of big, pretty athletic guys that can catch the ball, and have done it for 3 or 4 years, but what separates Kerry from them?

I think he'll find a nice spot in the draft, but I want to see him stacked against the players at his position. I'm not sure what he does to really separate himself yet. I'll have a magnifying lens on him when tracking his Senior All-Star game (likely to be the Shrine Game.)

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Sharp to Danny Woodhead? Sharp is a lean, blazing speed back where as woodhead was a 5'6'' bowling ball with quickness and change of direction...

Wrong. Woodhead ran a 4.3 at his Pro Day. Thats pure speed.

Hurricanes25
11-30-2009, 03:57 PM
Wrong. Woodhead ran a 4.3 at his Pro Day. Thats pure speed.

I don't know if he did or not but trust me, Woodhead is not that fast. And by the way, you should never trust any numbers from a Pro Day.

ThePudge
11-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I don't know if he did or not but trust me, Woodhead is not that fast. And by the way, you should never trust any numbers from a Pro Day.

Between 4.33 and 4.38 at Nebraska's Pro Day. He doesn't play that fast, and nhlkdog was right to say he used short-area quickness and change of direction skills. Certainly not slow, but he's not near as fast Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, or Ted Ginn Jr, who all timed slower than he did. Timed speed =/= Game speed, and game speed > timed speed.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 04:02 PM
* Kerry Meier; WR, 6'3/220#.

5th-7th Round Pick. Amazing Hands, Underestimated Athleticism.

* Maxwell Onyebule; DE, 6'5"/258#.

6th-7th Round Pick.

* Todd Reesing; QB, 5'11/185#

5th-UDFA. Love him as a QB. Has good speed for a QB but could be looked at as being too small to play QB at the next Level. Could get the Julian Edelman treatment and be moved to slot WR.

* Jake Sharp; RB, 5'11/190#.

6th-UDFA. Amazing Speed 4.3-4.42(before his latest injury), good vision, Smallish with an injury history. Im betting UDFA.

* Darrell Stuckey, SS, 6'1/205#.

4th-7th

* Justin Thornton, FS, 6'1/212#.

6th-UDFA.

* Dezmon Briscoe, WR, 6'3/205#

1st-2nd Round. Very good size, Good Hands and Speed.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM
* Todd Reesing; QB, 5'11/185#

5th-UDFA. Love him as a QB. Has good speed for a QB but could be looked at as bing too small to play QB at the next Level. Could get the Julian Edelman treatment and be moved to slot WR.
[/B]

Less than a snowballs chance in hell that would happen.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Less than a snowballs chance in hell that would happen.

Why is that? What team will trust a 5'11" (could be 5'10" or smaller in truth) QB?

nhlkdog411
11-30-2009, 05:10 PM
Why is that? What team will trust a 5'11" (could be 5'10" or smaller in truth) QB?

He's not even remotely in the same league as Edelman in terms of speed and quickness.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 05:13 PM

They won't. He won't be drafted. He might be brought in as a camp arm but that would be it. As for moving to WR, he's run times in the 4.7's and he's fragile. I already mentioned that he will probably measure in around 5'9.5" and 180#.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:38 PM
He's not even remotely in the same league as Edelman in terms of speed and quickness.

Just because hes not as fast as Edelman doesn't mean he wont get the Edelman treatment. If he runs in the 4.7 range i could see him being converted to a slot WR in the Edelman mold.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:41 PM
They won't. He won't be drafted. He might be brought in as a camp arm but that would be it. As for moving to WR, he's run times in the 4.7's and he's fragile. I already mentioned that he will probably measure in around 5'9.5" and 180#.

I must admit my bias because i've watched Reesing quite a few times over the last 2 years and i think he has a good arm but he just doesn't have the size. 5th might have been high but if he runs well he could be looked at as a Project WR/QB hybrid. I expect him to go the way of Edelman tho.

ToldLikeItIs
11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Been waiting on this one for awhile.

Kerry Meier - Owen Daniels, white or not

Jake Sharp - Tim Dwight, again, white or not, he's just that fast

RedVision
11-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Just because hes not as fast as Edelman doesn't mean he wont get the Edelman treatment. If he runs in the 4.7 range i could see him being converted to a slot WR in the Edelman mold.

He has a better shot at getting paid in the CFL, he could star up here. Being a top-3 QB in the CFL pays more than being a practice squad WR for a year and then cut. He should head north as fast as he can, maybe join Jon Cornish in calgary, where henry burris is getting long in the tooth.

ToldLikeItIs
11-30-2009, 05:49 PM
Todd Reesing is not an NFL prospect. Undersized headcases don't do well in the pros.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Daniels is a TE while Meier is a WR. How are they alike?

RedVision
11-30-2009, 05:53 PM
I personnally love what Briscoe bring to the table. He looks to me like a more athletic Ernest Wilford, and could be an asset to a young QB. He's always going back for the ball and wins most close battles against CB.

RedVision
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM
I saw somewhere Sharp being compared to Kevin Faulk and I liked it. But unless he gets a combinn invite he's UDFA material. If he gets one he's got a shot at the later rounds, he should test off the charts.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 05:58 PM
I saw somewhere Sharp being compared to Kevin Faulk and I liked it. But unless he gets a combinn invite he's UDFA material. If he gets one he's got a shot at the later rounds, he should test off the charts.

Unless he becomes a receiver i dont see him with the size to play on that side of the ball. I suggested corner but i guess that is verboten.

ToldLikeItIs
11-30-2009, 05:59 PM
Daniels played H Back at Wisconsin. Meier basically plays that at KU.

RedVision
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Unless he becomes a receiver i dont see him with the size to play on that side of the ball. I suggested corner but i guess that is verboten.

I guess he could be jerry azumah, doubling as a KR. But he was the exception, not the rule. Changing position this late in his career would be very tough.

RedVision
11-30-2009, 06:03 PM
Daniels played H Back at Wisconsin. Meier basically plays that at KU.

He would need ot pack up the pounds, but it's not a stretch to think he could. His brother was an NFL TE after all.

ALP1987
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
He would need ot pack up the pounds, but it's not a stretch to think he could. His brother was an NFL TE after all.

Just because his brother was a TE doesn't mean he has the ability to do it. Meier is a WR. Hes a good WR. He can catch the ball and find open space. He runs very tight routes and gets separation from corners. Hes not the fastest WR to ever play the game but hes not the slowest. He could be a good Slot WR and maybe in time a good #2 option.

nhlkdog411
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM

I love how everyone always says white or not and then gives the usual white to white comparison...just the same way that everyone always says they're not going the black qb to black qb route and then does that exact thing...Sharp compares more to a (very?)poor man's Chris Johnson, or that type of back than Tim Dwight.

Babylon
11-30-2009, 06:48 PM
I love how everyone always says white or not and then gives the usual white to white comparison...just the same way that everyone always says they're not going the black qb to black qb route and then does that exact thing...Sharp compares more to a (very?)poor man's Chris Johnson, or that type of back than Tim Dwight.

Guilty as charged. I was comparing Meier to Kevin Walter but i did compare Tim Tebow to Vince Young. Half guilty.

JhawkFitness
11-30-2009, 07:05 PM

He doesn't have the fluid hips you look for to be able to turn and run with receivers. Other than that it's a good idea.

I personnally love what Briscoe bring to the table. He looks to me like a more athletic Ernest Wilford, and could be an asset to a young QB. He's always going back for the ball and wins most close battles against CB.

After considering him a less athletic version of Ed McCaffrey and/or Braylon Edwards I think I've settled on one.....How about Dwayne Jarrett?

nhlkdog411
11-30-2009, 07:08 PM
Guilty as charged. I was comparing Meier to Kevin Walter but i did compare Tim Tebow to Vince Young. Half guilty.

I wasn't referring to you man, I agree with the vast majority of your comparisons, including in many ways both of those. A lot of times the white-white black-black comparisons fit, its the times when people seem to be willing to make any sort of stretch to make a white wr compare to a white wr or a black qb to a black qb where i go "huh?"

Babylon
11-30-2009, 07:11 PM
I wasn't referring you man, I agree with the vast majority of your comparisons, including in many ways both of those.

Nice comment there. I got negative repped today and i'm still pissed off.

RedVision
11-30-2009, 07:15 PM
After considering him a less athletic version of Ed McCaffrey and/or Braylon Edwards I think I've settled on one.....How about Dwayne Jarrett?

Physically yes, but I think Briscoe's got more of that drive to succeed than Jarrett, who has shown nothing since he was drafted. I was thinking Wilford as a later round pick who has an early impact on a team with a shaky QB situation.

JhawkFitness
12-02-2009, 12:12 PM
I thought of perhaps another more-fitting comparison for Meier....Mushin Muhammed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/statitudes/02/02/superbowl.btn/p1_muhammad_ap.jpg

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/_photos/2008/10/10/meierx.jpg

JhawkFitness
12-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Briscoe to hold a press conference tomorrow where he's expected to announce the he will indeed enter the NFL Draft.

JhawkFitness
12-04-2009, 01:57 PM
Confirmed, Briscoe will enter the 2010 NFL Draft. He says he will probably head to Tampa, FL to train with Dez Bryant.

adschofield
12-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Nice comment there. I got negative repped today and i'm still pissed off.

Awww poor baby. Are you going to cry about it?

Dez is a monster. His hands are suspect at times and his timed speed will disappoint, but his body control is insane. He reminds me of Braylon Edwards.

JhawkFitness
12-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Jake Sharp and team admin acknowledged today on local radio that Sharp broken his fibula against UTEP.

Also, Max Onyegbule can appeal for a 6th year of eligibility.

JhawkFitness
12-15-2009, 05:17 PM
Darrell Stuckey to play in East-West Shrine Game

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/15/kus-darrell-stuckey-will-play-east-west-shrine-gam/

SehornLives
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Is Sharp going to get a medical redshirt, if not, would he get an invite to the combine? Ive read from several source's that he is a SUB 4.3 guy. I have to admit, I find that hard to believe, but if that's true, some team would totally reach for him and draft him in the 2nd round.

bored of education
12-15-2009, 09:19 PM
Briscoe's girlfriend is effing hot.

JhawkFitness
12-15-2009, 11:38 PM
Is Sharp going to get a medical redshirt, if not, would he get an invite to the combine? Ive read from several source's that he is a SUB 4.3 guy. I have to admit, I find that hard to believe, but if that's true, some team would totally reach for him and draft him in the 2nd round.

No, he played more than 20% of the snaps all 4 years, no chance for a mRS.

RedVision
12-16-2009, 01:19 PM
Jake Sharp and team admin acknowledged today on local radio that Sharp broken his fibula against UTEP.

That would explain why hell was unleashed (ala mike tomlin) on him after that game...

he still has no shot at getting drafted unless he gets a combine invite.

RealityCheck
12-16-2009, 03:00 PM
I can honestly see Stuckey in the 2nd, no joking.

JhawkFitness
12-17-2009, 12:46 AM
That would explain why hell was unleashed (ala mike tomlin) on him after that game...

Im not quite sure what you mean by that.

In related news, Kerry Meier also invited to play in the East-West Shrine Bowl

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2009/dec/17/kerry-meier-accepts-shrine-bowl-invite/

JhawkFitness
12-18-2009, 02:59 PM
Todd Reesing will join Stuckey and Meier in the East/West game. Same website as before has the story.

RedVision
12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Im not quite sure what you mean by that.

i mean that his season went down the tank, he was never the same after that. that was a crappy joke i guess

JhawkFitness
12-19-2009, 01:08 AM
i mean that his season went down the tank, he was never the same after that. that was a crappy joke i guess

Yeah I just didn't get it. Anyway, USA Today confirmed what was reported, broken fibula during the UTEP game

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/kansas.htm

JhawkFitness
01-14-2010, 02:19 AM
Stuckey and Meier invited to the NFL Combine per TSN, slight chance 1-2 more guys might be added to that list.

YAYareaRB
01-14-2010, 02:34 AM
I'll do one for BYU tomorrow. I'm very interested in Kerry Meier. One of those players that would be a solid contributor for any team. Someone is gonna fall in love with his versatility on draft day. The fact that he runs good routes after playing basically 1 full year at WR is amazing. He should get a shot in the NFL.

I also like Sharps game. He has the speed to burn but I like his patience in finding lanes and holes. Might have to lower his pad level while running at the next level. From what I can tell, he's tough as nails.

One pad level moment right here. Note: Yeah he kinda juked into it and yeah he's pretty small but a change in pad level could have changed this big hit into just another tackle or broken tackle

WtnTZK_mLWc

TornadoRex
01-14-2010, 02:37 AM
By the way, Jhawk... thanks for Aqib Talib! We love him down here in Tampa! Finally a 1st rounder Buccaneer who isn't a bust!

YoJoeBucsFan
01-14-2010, 10:05 AM
By the way, Jhawk... thanks for Aqib Talib! We love him down here in Tampa! Finally a 1st rounder Buccaneer who isn't a bust!

I echo those sentiments Rex.

RealityCheck
01-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Jake Sharp somehow reminds me of Welker.

MizzouBig12
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Jake Sharp somehow reminds me of Welker.
Outside of the possible color connotations, it would be a great compliment for Jake Sharp to remind someone of Wes Welker. Sharp has similar quickness to Welker, but has much greater speed. I doubt that many defenders could run down Jake Sharp in the open field (at least without him having a broken fibula). I find it surprising that with his raw measurables, 5'10" 195#, low 4.3 40, etc. and proven productivity he wasn't given a combine invite (yet). Look at Chris Henry a couple of years ago, invited just because of his speed ("you can't teach speed" we're told) and "upside", in spite of a sub-par career at Arizona (3.5 YPC).

DeathbyStat
01-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Briscoe is the only guy that stands out to me solid late second early third pick

JhawkFitness
01-14-2010, 03:49 PM
Briscoe is the only guy that stands out to me solid late second early third pick

How many games did you watch?

MizzouBig12
01-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I agree, I would love to know what determines a player worthy of a combine invite. As far as Jake Sharp vs. Chris Henry, Henry was considerably bigger at almost the same straight line speed, so that may have been a reason. I do agree that Sharp would blow up the 40 with a low 4.3, but I don't think he will get an invite. If I were him, I'd petition for a medical redshirt.

As has been discussed earlier in this thread, Jake isn't eligible for that option, as he has played over 20% of the snaps during his career at KU. Playing hurt doesn't count. And come to think of it, he might not do the combine anyway, since how long does a fractured fibula take to fully heal, anyway?

MizzouBig12
01-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't think he would turn down an invite, due to the fact that if he is sub 4.3 like Ive read (I have my doubts about that, more like maybe sub 4.35 to me) he would rocket up boards. Didn't he also play a bit during their last 2 games? I would assume his injury would be healed by now.
Very possible, I'm not a physician. Even if he isn't invited to the combine, I think he'll impress at the KU pro day. I figure that he'll be a late-round "gamble" by a team, or be a home run for a team that picks him up UDFA.

JhawkFitness
01-15-2010, 04:51 PM
As has been discussed earlier in this thread, Jake isn't eligible for that option, as he has played over 20% of the snaps during his career at KU. Playing hurt doesn't count. And come to think of it, he might not do the combine anyway, since how long does a fractured fibula take to fully heal, anyway?

He is fully healed at this time.

* Maxwell Onyebule; DE, 6'5"/258#. Good coordination and looks fluid on the field but isn't overly athletic (4.9+ 40, 28-30" vert). Part-time starter as a JR/SR. Consistently around the ball and can make outstanding plays (36 yard int return for TD as a SR, 21 yard int return as a JR). Pros: Long-arms, quickness, well rounded/decent athleticism, knack for being around the ball. Cons: Never could consistently put it all together even though he benefited by having Jake Laptad on the other side of the line. Pro Comparison: Can't think of one. Could possibly make the move to 3-4 OLB.
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/kan/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3571055.jpeg

Also just wanted to update that Max is timing in the consistent 4.8's and has looked for more explosive than I originally remarked. Come Pro Day time he may very well be in the low-4.7's or high-4.6's.

JhawkFitness
01-20-2010, 11:51 AM
From the E/W Shrine gm practices;

Day 2:
Todd Reesing (Kansas) was too hesitant when waiting to throw the football. He held on to the ball too long, which would have resulted in multiple sacks if the quarterbacks were allowed to be hit in practice. When he did throw, he had nice zip on his shorter passes. Anything over 15-yards he struggled with accuracy and velocity. He did pull the ball down to run and picked up a first down. It just seems like overall Reesing is trying not to make a mistake instead of trying to make a play.

Kerry Meier (Kansas) has great footwork and sideline awareness. When the receivers were working with Keenan McCardell on sideline routes it was Meier that stayed in bounds on every catch. He can go high for catches, or scoop them off the ground. I also saw him catch the back half of the football with his fingertips. It was an amazing catch that highlights just how strong his hands are. He did have problems running comeback routes, and needs to clean up his footwork.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Kerry Meier could follow Brad Smith and Randle El and be a good WR in the NFL.

01-20-2010, 12:06 PM
Kerry Meier could follow Brad Smith and Randle El and be a good WR in the NFL.

The other two were QBs in college. I fail to see the correlation between them.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 12:49 PM
And Meier played as QB during his first 2 years.

JhawkFitness
01-20-2010, 04:37 PM

On top of that he spent around 80% of his practice time at QB up through his JR year.

Brown Leader
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
* Darrell Stuckey, SS, 6'1/205#. Great combination of instincts/intelligence and athleticism. Probably the most complete player on the roster. Not flashy but does everything very well. Also averaged 25+ yards per kick return as well. Hard to find a knock on the guy. Pros: Great instincts, very smart player, very good all around athlete. Cons: Has had minor injury problems over 2 season in his career. Pro comparison: Erik Coleman

Yeahhh Get Stuck. How about old Vikings/Browns S Robert Griffith as compare?

TheTerminator
01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
I find it very hard to believe that with Jake Sharp's speed, and pretty decent college production, that he, as of now, has not yet been invited to the NFL combine. Very perplexing decision if you ask me.

01-20-2010, 09:39 PM

Good point. I should've looked into that a bit further. You can't really fault him for the position switch, ha.

kmartin575
01-20-2010, 10:26 PM

And I also believe Brad Smith timed somewhere around the 4.4's, not sure about Randle El. No comparison between those two and Meier.

nofalcons10
01-21-2010, 08:01 AM
* Dezmon Briscoe, WR, 6'3/205#

1st-2nd Round. Very good size, Good Hands and Speed.

can't believe how many mock drafts have this kid falling to the second round.

he seems more NFL ready to me than reggie wayne was in 2001.

JhawkFitness
01-21-2010, 02:20 PM
can't believe how many mock drafts have this kid falling to the second round.

he seems more NFL ready to me than reggie wayne was in 2001.

I've seen Dez play in every game since he came to KU, he is not without fault and has publicly acknowledged he struggles to break 4.6

He is a good prospect but I don't think he'll make it into the 1st round.

nofalcons10
01-21-2010, 02:29 PM
I've seen Dez play in every game since he came to KU, he is not without fault and has publicly acknowledged he struggles to break 4.6

He is a good prospect but I don't think he'll make it into the 1st round.

i noticed the fumbles against missouri but he has great routes and hands.

chad johnson ran a 4.57. i see him as a similar receiver.

ChiefMojo
01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
My opinion on the Kansas guys are....

I think Meier, Stucky, and Briscoe are going to be in the league for a long time. All three SHOULD be top 4 round guys.

Meier is a better athlete than he appears. Great route runner, very sure handed, squares up very well like a elite TE, tough, and finds open zones extremely well. I think Meier would be a great #2 slot guy. Dwayne Bowe is a good comparison, but Meier has better hands. Btw, great character guy as well. Likely 3rd-5th rounder.

Stucky first off is every franchises dream guy when it comes to locker room/community leader. Tough, good speed, very intelligent, hard hitter, sure tackler, but my one worry about Stucky is he gets a little flat footed at times when it comes to play action. He bites to often and gets beat over the top. He will have to clean that up in the NFL. It isn't like he is getting beat due to athletic ability, just not being in position. Likely late 2nd-4th rounder.

Briscoe much like Meier has the chance to be a terrific #2 WR for a long time. The only reason I wouldn't have him as a #1 is due to his speed/concentration. He is really only a 4.6 guy and he has been known to drop some easy balls (right after catching the circus catch). Very good open field pass catcher that gets a lot of YAC yards. Fundamentally sound when the ball is in the air. Will make a lot of big plays during a game. I see him as a Hines Ward type of player. Likely 2nd rounder imho.

Max O is someone that is still developing as a DE. I could see him being a OLB in a 3-4 since he started as a LB and moved to DE. Good quickness and has a knack for making the big plays. If he is indeed improving his speed, he could be a steal. Will be in the draft now as he was just turned down by the NCAA for his 6th year. Likely 5-7th rounder.

Sharp is a speed demon, but durability questions and body frame are a concern. He is a jack of all trades type of player due to his speed. Good 3rd down back since he is a good receiver out of the backfield. Tough kid that is also a good return man. Could possibly work out as a slot receiver as well, but don't know about his route running ability? Likely 5th-UDFA. Someone is going to give him a chance and he could end up being a major steal in the end.

Reesing should be going to the CFL. He just doesn't have the size or arm strength with deep balls to play in the NFL. Poor man's Doug Flutie! Kid is a gamer and a lot of fun to watch. Quick, but not fast enough or tough enough to play as a slot WR in the NFL. Intelligent and good leader, but again could make it big in the CFL with their wide open game.

JhawkFitness
03-08-2010, 05:49 PM
One prospect I didn't think of when I put this thread together was LS Kayl Anderson.

*Kayl Anderson; 6'2/250#. Gil Brandt currently has him rated as the #5 long-snapper available. The Specialist Combine (put on by Gary Zauner, runs 4-5 days prior to the NFL Combine) has him ranked as one of the top 4 to come out this season so his tape was distributed during the NFL Combine. In pre-Pro Day workouts he's been timed at 5.0-5.1 in the 40 yard dash with a pro-agility time of 4.5. Recently won the teams Special Teams Player of the Year award.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/kan/sports/m-footbl/auto_action/3530941.jpeg TuIsICJcaWM

batsandgats
03-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Bz6V06jEbnk
I think Briscoe will make a good number 2 receiver at the next level

iv8Rd72uXvU
I think Meier will make a very good possession receiver at the next level, his 40 yard time isnt that much different from his teammate Briscoe, but I think he is the better run blocker. Briscoe shows a little more game speed though

GWdUHKL0HlQ
Jake Sharp is highly underrated. 1100+ yards from scrimmage and 13 tds his junior season starting only 8 games. He ran a 4.5 coming into KU and got it down to 4.3, in the beginning he lacked patience and had a hard time following blocks which he eventually got better at. He had an injury last season and wasn't 100 percent, but Mangino kept playing him. He is a good receiver out of the backfield.

JhawkFitness
03-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Jake Sharp is highly underrated. 1100+ yards from scrimmage and 13 tds his junior season starting only 8 games. He ran a 4.5 coming into KU and got it down to 4.3, in the beginning he lacked patience and had a hard time following blocks which he eventually got better at. He had a foot injury last season and wasn't 100 percent, but Mangino kept playing him. He is a good receiver out of the backfield.

It was actually a broken bone in his lower leg (tibia IIRC).

batsandgats
03-08-2010, 08:04 PM
oh, for some reason I thought it was a foot injury, my bad. I remember at first the injury was "undisclosed" and I couldn't find any information about it. He started the season looking great. I think he could be a good 3rd down back at the next level with his speed and receiving skills.

JhawkFitness
03-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Some of the Pro Day numbers -

Jake Sharp - 19 reps of 225, 35" vertical, 4.38 40 yard dash
Arist Wright - 38" vertical, 10-6 broad jump
Justin Thornton - 34" vertical
Max Onyegbule - 6'5"/265#
Dez Bricoe - 4.58 40 yard dash
Stuckey chose not to workout, can't blame him after his Combine performance.

ChiefMojo
03-10-2010, 02:17 PM
I agree, Stuckey performed pretty good at the combine and it didn't make sense for him to do it again. Good to see Briscoe run a 4.58. As mentioned many times, Briscoe is not a speedster by no means, but many think he is. He is a possession receiver that is very good after the catch. Did Meier not do anything like Stuckey?

Someone is going to give Sharp a chance. Great athlete, but kind of a RB/WR mix imho. I wonder if someone will try to get him on their practice squad and try to develop him into a slot-WR? He does have good hands.

batsandgats
03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Jake Sharp, besides the 4.38, he also had a 10'4 broad jump which would be tied for best at the combine for rbs. 4.06 short shuttle, and 6.84 three-cone drill. Kansas papers are reporting a 4.34

I don't know about slot receiver, he would be best used like a Reggie Bush role, 3rd down, change of pace back.

golota
03-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Why didnt Sharp get a combine invite?

Last year he was ranked by some as a top ten back. He was injured most of 2009 but still managed quite a few receptions.
other guys like Blount hardly even played this year or guys like Bell is a div 2 player and got invited.

batsandgats
03-10-2010, 07:17 PM
who knows? Freddie Barnes didn't get one either but Kahlil Bell had one last year with his best season being his junior year rushing for 795 yards 5 tds and 93 receiving 0 tds While Sharp had 1100+ yards receiving/rushing and 13 tds his junior year. Bell was injured most of his college career and averaged 2.8 ypc his senior season but was hurt like Sharp his final season. He ran a 4.78 at the combine and got a chance with the Bears, so in the long run, I dont think it will matter, Sharp will get a shot on a team. Teams were in attendence for guys like Briscoe so he probably got noticed by quite a few scouts. I dont know if he was ever rated a top ten back, I think he was 2nd in his conference for rushing yards per game in 08 (he started 8 games). I know one thing, he has a lot of upside and potential. Id love the Saints to pick him up and use him if Reggie goes down.

JhawkFitness
03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Meier was timed between 4.53 and 4.57, he stood on most of his numbers from the Combine.

Nard_Dog
03-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I personally really like Dezmon Briscoe. He has good size, and good hands. I think he should be able to separate. Yes, his forty time isn't amazing but he plays a lot faster. I think he should be steal in the 3rd or 4th round.

JhawkFitness
04-25-2010, 09:27 PM
The local media has reported Justin Thornton posted on his facebook page that he agreed to a UDFA deal with the Steelers. I have yet to find confirmation.
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2010/apr/25/thornton-signs-free-agent-deal-steelers/

LS Kayl Anderson has drawn interest from the Falcons, Dolphins, Seahawks and Chiefs.

baronzeus
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Haha, funny to see that Briscoe fell all the way to the 6th round after reading people's thoughts on him in this thread. Did his stock fall that much or were people avoiding him? Only asking because as a Bengals fan I know very little about him and we have tons of receivers.

ChiefMojo
04-26-2010, 11:01 AM
He probably fell due to character issues, not his ability. Ability alone he was probably a 2nd or 3rd rounder, but we know what red flags do for you. He is a very good pick-up for a 6th rounder.

CC.SD
04-26-2010, 11:06 AM
Hm since this thread has been bumped, does anyone have the scoop or video of Stuckey? All I've seen is a short highlight reel against Missouri, he looked sufficiently nasty.

adschofield
04-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Dez fell because he lacks timed speed, he's not a great route runner, and has some character concerns...That being said he is one of the guys who just always seems to make big plays despite his lack of timed speed. He has his faults, but I love the kid...He's a playmaker.

As far as Stuckey goes, he's technically pretty sound and has a good attitude, but physically he won't wow anyone.

batsandgats
04-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Has Sharp been picked up by anybody? 4.3 speed with so much potential should have been picked up by a team by now but I don't see anywhere that says he has. Its not like hes just a workout warrior, he produced in the 8 games he started in 08 when he was 100 percent.

Didn't expect Meier to go before Briscoe, but I think he will be a good fit for the Falcons. Read a sad story about Meier today, his older brother just died, the one who played at Kansas State.

JhawkFitness
04-26-2010, 05:14 PM
Hm since this thread has been bumped, does anyone have the scoop or video of Stuckey? All I've seen is a short highlight reel against Missouri, he looked sufficiently nasty.

Stuckey is a stud, he played the 2009 season with a fairly severe shoulder injury but he is a great football player and athlete, not just one or the other.

Dez fell because he lacks timed speed, he's not a great route runner, and has some character concerns...That being said he is one of the guys who just always seems to make big plays despite his lack of timed speed. He has his faults, but I love the kid...He's a playmaker.

As far as Stuckey goes, he's technically pretty sound and has a good attitude, but physically he won't wow anyone.

You're right about Briscoe, the character concerns were a major reason behind the drop. I disagree about Stuckey though, he is a physical specimen.

Has Sharp been picked up by anybody? 4.3 speed with so much potential should have been picked up by a team by now but I don't see anywhere that says he has. Its not like hes just a workout warrior, he produced in the 8 games he started in 08 when he was 100 percent.

Didn't expect Meier to go before Briscoe, but I think he will be a good fit for the Falcons. Read a sad story about Meier today, his older brother just died, the one who played at Kansas State.

Sharp so far has not been picked up.

Yeah, his brother Dylan (played at Kansas State from 03-06) died while on a family hiking trip. Really sad because the whole family was there and watched it happen. The memorial was today.

Max Onyegbule agreed to terms with the New Orleans Saints this afternoon.

JhawkFitness
04-27-2010, 02:12 AM
Has Sharp been picked up by anybody?
To update this, Sharp has agreed to terms with the Chicago Bears.

Safety Justin Thornton will join the Pittsburg Steelers.

JhawkFitness
05-14-2010, 01:33 AM
Another update....

Sharp reportedly caught the ball well and showed excellent speed but will not be invited back for OTA's.

“He did look pretty quick,” said Larry Mayer, who covers the Bears for the team’s official website, “especially coming out of the backfield to catch passes.”

Long-snapper Kayl Andersons' agent is fielding interest from the Chiefs, Seahawks and Texans.

QB Todd Reesing has said in a recent online chat at KUathletics.com that he is negotiating with the Roughriders of the CFL.

FUNBUNCHER
05-14-2010, 06:39 AM
Can Sharp return kicks/punts?? Where's he from, what kind of prep career did he have??

If he can play specials in any capacity, he has a shot to stick somewhere in the league.

JhawkFitness
05-14-2010, 02:18 PM
Can Sharp return kicks/punts?? Where's he from, what kind of prep career did he have??

If he can play specials in any capacity, he has a shot to stick somewhere in the league.

He can return kicks but never did at KU because he was a featured back (top 2) every season. He's from Salina, KS. Prep career included 3,300 yard and 57 TD's as a SR following 2330 and 33 TD's as a JR. From the same school as current Cowboys CB Terence Newman where he tied Newmans school record in the 100m dash with a 10.36.