PDA

View Full Version : Ciron Black

D-Unit
12-01-2009, 01:28 AM
What are your thoughts on him?

Thumper
12-01-2009, 01:31 AM
too slow and unathletic for LT and not powerful enough for RT, might be a mediocre back-up RT. Could be a decent LG. On Iphone so that is why it is so brief.

D-Unit
12-01-2009, 01:34 AM
too slow and unathletic for LT and not powerful enough for RT, might be a mediocre back-up RT. Could be a decent LG. On Iphone so that is why it is so brief.
What round do you project someone with those grades? 4-6?

vikes_28
12-01-2009, 01:37 AM
What round do you project someone with those grades? 4-6?

I'd say the later rounds.

D-Unit
12-01-2009, 01:40 AM
I'd say the later rounds.
Hooray for clarity! Is he this year's Herman Johnson?

Thumper
12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Probably 5-6 round range, I don't imagine him testing well because he is slow, heavyfooted and hi overall quickness leaves a lot to be desires. He was beaten around like a ragdoll against Jermaine Cunningham in the Florida game. His power is a lot weaker than it should be for a man of his stature. Really all I see in him now is a big body that can be an obstacle but can't create movement in the run game and is limited to OG and can't play OT. His toughness, experience and character are good though.

In a perfect world he might be the next Andrew Whitworth of the Bengals or Carl Nicks o the Saints but I highly doubt that ever happens. But, I'm having trouble drawing up a more likely comparison for him.

Thumper
12-01-2009, 01:49 AM

in a way but he isn't as big, isn't as strong and isn't as physically imposing as Johnson was. But in terms of where he will go I think he'll go in a similar range as Big Herm.

Prophet
12-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Herman's behemoth size was the only reason he was taken at all.
Ciron has had a dissapointing senior campaign. He has awful feet and lacks perscision or quickness. He is physically incapable of playing tackle in the league. I agree that his only hope would to be converted to OG.
Late round pick at best.

FUNBUNCHER
12-01-2009, 04:29 AM
Dang, I thought he could play LT, hoping really.

Wasn't he a 4 year starter for LSU??

descendency
12-01-2009, 05:37 AM
Dang, I thought he could play LT, hoping really.

Wasn't he a 4 year starter for LSU??

Their RT, Joseph Barksdale, is a better player than their LT, Ciron Black... no clue why.

Day One Pick
12-01-2009, 07:44 AM
Black's stock is dropping like a lead balloon. The last time I watched him it was apparent why.

12-01-2009, 08:52 AM
I hope more people take note of this and stop giving him to the Raiders in round two. What a difference a year can make.

no bare feet
12-01-2009, 09:11 AM
His situation is like Barry Richardson's, except Barry Richardson had a sophmore year that allowed a projection to say he would be a very good future left tackle and a future 1st round pick. Then he did terrible his final two years. Ciron was never touted that high ever, but was still projected in the 1st and 2nd rounds by some, but I never thought of him more than a 4th rounder and now he is looking more like a guy in the 6th round or later.

Babylon
12-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I'd say 3rd round. Saw him play in person up in Seattle and looking back i'd have to say he was on a level with a Charles Brown and some of the best in the Pac-10 (probably not a strong group there). Not sure about LT but i think he's probably better than given credit for here. A little down on the tackle group as a whole.

regoob2
12-01-2009, 11:25 AM
I disagree. Yes he's slow but that has been common knowledge forever now. He's a RT or OG in the pros. His height arm arm length dont appear to be great either. I think he's a 2nd-3rd rounder. Definite starting potential. Big, strong, physical. Plays with good leverage and quickness. Smart player.

JohnCandy
12-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Looking at some of the bigger OT converison to OG types how does he compare?

Chris Scott [Tennessee]

Vladimir Duccasse [UMass]

D-Unit
12-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Why didn't people see this before? What made Ciron's stock go up in the first place? He's always had the same size, arm strength, foot speed...

I think it's funny to see people have this kind of reaction to him so late.

Ozzy
12-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Sure Ciron has some trouble against speed rushers but he is blocking really well in the run game, he is flat out dominating at times and I think a lot of people underrate him. 6th rounder? Seriously? Sure this group of offensive tackles is solid but him a 6th rounder?

He has not lived up to his potential, and yes it is his trouble against speed rushers that is the problem. But he is still a very good prospect and one of the better run blocking tackles in the draft. I see no reason why he could not become a guard in the NFL if need be. Sure he would not be some athletic pulling guard that makes blocks down field but if he has trouble at tackle he should be able to move into guard.

Early on as a sophomore the kid has the potential to be a 1st round pick easily.

Prophet
12-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Why didn't people see this before? What made Ciron's stock go up in the first place? He's always had the same size, arm strength, foot speed...

I think it's funny to see people have this kind of reaction to him so late.

Well he started for 4 years (not an easy feat on a roster like LSU). He looked good beyond his years in 07 when they won the title. The reason he was slotted as a potential first rounder was his level of play early in his career and most assumed he would continue to grow and mature with every passing year into a franchise LT. Unfortunatly that never occured and he consistantly beat by the SEC's best pass rushers in 08/09.

TACKLE
12-01-2009, 02:53 PM

I don't think so. Herman Johnson was made out to be this huge, road grading guard who just overwhelmed DT's. If you watched him that wasn't the case at all. His power was very average.

Although I agree with the other posters in saying that he won't be able to play LT, I actually really like Ciron Black as a guard. He is a natural knee bender with big legs who does a good job at using leverage in the run game. Unlike Big Herm, he plays with a lot more power and gets a really good drive in the run game. And although he does struggle with speed on the edge, he actually looks quite athletic in space when he's in space (screen plays, pulling, etc.). If some team feels they can coach him up and help him make the transition to guard, I could see him going in the late 3rd to late 4th range.

regoob2
12-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Looking at some of the bigger OT converison to OG types how does he compare?

Chris Scott [Tennessee]

Vladimir Duccasse [UMass]
Chris Scott is not a starting caliber NFL player. Not as powerful as he should be. Cant play OT. Could be a backup somewhere.