PDA

View Full Version : My MLB Salary Cap Presentation

kalbears13
12-01-2009, 08:48 PM
I didn't know where else to put this so...I am doing a presentation and I'm on the side that's saying the MLB shouldn't adopt a salary cap. Here are some of my points:

Winning:
-Winning Percentage of the top 8 teams and the bottom 8 teams are a lot closer
than those of football and basketball.
-MLB has had only one repeat World Series champion since 2001. Last year the
Tampa Bay Rays made it to the World Series with the 2nd to lowest payroll in the
league. The year before Colorado made it to the World Series with the 6th
lowest payroll in the league. The year before that in 2006, Detroit made it
with the 16th lowest payroll. In 2003, the Florida Marlins won the World Series
with the 6th lowest payroll. Since 1985 only six teams have won the World
Series with the highest player payroll in the game. Outside of the Yankees, no
team in baseball has won more than two World Series since 1975.
-Since 1999, the New York Yankees have had the highest payroll in baseball.
Since they won the World Series in 2000, the Yankees have increased their
payroll from 90 million to 200 million. Until this past year, the Yankees had
been to the World Series once since 2000 and lost in the World Series. The
Yankees organization tried buying championships but not until they hired a new
manager did they win a championship.

Money:
-Fans in the US are drawn to the large-market teams like the Yankees, Red Sox
and Dodgers and a lot of money comes from those teams like supply-side
economics.
-When any of these teams come to a smaller city, games get sold out.
-The majority of MLB merchandise sales come from the Yankees and Red Sox alone.
-Since the majority of fans are fans of large market teams, if the MLB puts on a
salary cap, the majority of the fans will be unhappy because it will be harder
for their team to consistently win.
-Almost all sports fans either love or hate the Yankees or Red Sox. It’s great
for media like TV and Radio because a lot of people like to watch them play,
especially if they’re playing each other. All in all, it’s good for baseball
because people are watching. The only time I get to see my favorite team play
is if they’re playing the Yankees, Red Sox or the local team.
-Having these popular teams gives baseball an identity. Baseball has caught on
all around the world. Basketball and football don’t have those “teams” that
grab people’s attention.
-With a salary cap you would be taking away from the players. Baseball is a
business. They are in a league but the league is run by the players where they
command huge contracts and the owners are greedy for talent so they pay them.
-What would happen to all these players’ contracts with their teams?
-Sports teams do the best with a good fan base and keen owners. It doesn’t
matter if there's a cap or not i.e. Indianapolis Colts and the New England
Patriots.

My professor allows us to send in our points and he'll give us a rough idea of what kind of questions he'll ask after our presentation:

Salary caps are thought to help small market teams. Even though NYY has only won the WS
a couple times over the past decade, that is two more than almost every other team. Most
small market teams never make the playoffs let alone win the WS.

Small market teams may do better when teams like NYY visit their ballpark, but otherwise
they are not doing well. Most MLB teams show a loss each year. Fan base is dwindling in
many small markets and MLB is having difficulty attracting and keeping fans against the
background of NBA and NFL success. (NBA goes into June; NFL starts up in September,
leaving only a couple months when MLB has a monopoly on time.) So, many feel that MLB
needs to explore salary caps, and expanded playoffs, to attract fans. This, along with shorter
games and a shortened season, would help.

I was wondering if you guys could help out and tell me if I'm missing anything or if something I wrote should be excluded from my argument. Also, what are some responses to what he said? And I also have to write a paper on this topic too.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
12-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Screw that. Teams can't keep their players because the ******* Yankees taket them all. I say salary cap that **** and see if the Yankees can produce some good guys instead of stealing everyones elses players. I hate the Yankees

Tampa 2 4 life
12-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Salary Caps kill creativity.

Damix
12-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Screw that. Teams can't keep their players because the ******* Yankees taket them all. I say salary cap that **** and see if the Yankees can produce some good guys instead of stealing everyones elses players. I hate the Yankees

And watch small market teams fold because they don't get any luxury tax money anymore. And you think the Yankees will agree to any form of revenue sharing if they can't spend money the way they want to?

kalbears13
12-01-2009, 08:56 PM
I agree that salary caps are a good idea but my opponent got the pro side so I got stuck with the con side so I have to deal with it.

kalbears13
12-01-2009, 09:08 PM
And watch small market teams fold because they don't get any luxury tax money anymore. And you think the Yankees will agree to any form of revenue sharing if they can't spend money the way they want to?

Luxury taxes go to the "Industry growth fund" not to the small market teams.

Damix
12-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Luxury taxes go to the "Industry growth fund" not to the small market teams.

Ah excuse me for confusing this with the central fund. Point stands, Marlins and Pirates got paid over 80 mil last year. Teams that have good owners will consistently win.

dabears10
12-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Ah excuse me for confusing this with the central fund. Point stands, Marlins and Pirates got paid over 80 mil last year. Teams that have good owners will consistently win.

I would have no problem with small teams having to support themselves. The salary cap would create more competition leading to higher ticket sales for teams because they would be less likely to stay at the bottom for so long. Also, I am not sure contraction would be such a bad thing.

prock
12-25-2009, 07:04 PM
as a twins fan, give me a salary cap. please.

P-L
12-25-2009, 08:08 PM
The biggest problem in baseball is that there are too many small market teams who consistently lose money and put all the revenue sharing money into their pockets just so they can break even. There isn't a team in baseball that can't afford an $80 million payroll. The issue is, a ton of these owners aren't willing to lose some money now to win and make money later.

Canadian_kid16
12-25-2009, 08:44 PM
But with the salary cap I can predict 6 out of the 8 teams that will make the playoffs EVERY year...where's the excitement in that?

noondog
12-25-2009, 10:45 PM
Salary Caps kill creativity.

Really? I would suggest that salary caps spawn creativity...jmo

BeerBaron
12-25-2009, 10:55 PM

You make it sound like the Yanks are doing something wrong, against the rules. You only want a salary cap because your team is cheap, and you want every team to be cheap.

The owners of just about any sports franchise are typically rich beyond any of our own wildest dreams.....the money is there if they choose to spend it, most of them just don't. As long as the team is profitable, and most are, a good 90% of owners seem content to sit on their ass and rake in the money, while reinvesting very little of it.

I'm not sure what they based this statistic on, but going to school in Western PA, most of my friends are fans of the various Pittsburgh sports teams and I've heard from a good number of them that, despite not having a winning record in something like 2 decades, the Pirates are the 6th most profitable American sports franchise. I'd imagine that is scaled in some way, like percentage of the team worth or something, but I find it an interesting statistic nonetheless.

It's really a shame too.....in the NFL, having a salary cap also means having a salary floor. In my humble opinion, the MLB doesn't need a salary cap, they need the salary floor. Force each team to spend so much and everything would get a LOT more competitive I feel.

aNYtitan
12-25-2009, 11:51 PM
The biggest problem in baseball is that there are too many small market teams who consistently lose money and put all the revenue sharing money into their pockets just so they can break even. There isn't a team in baseball that can't afford an $80 million payroll. The issue is, a ton of these owners aren't willing to lose some money now to win and make money later.

I co-sign to this statement. The Yanks are a well oiled and well funded machine. They are the most well known brand in baseball and possibly professional sports, play in the biggest market, draw the biggest crowds and charge outrageous prices for their tickets. Yet they will always be over the tax, wind up giving small market teams with owners that have no intention of putting a competitive team on the field (exhibit A: Jeffrey Loria) and the wheels will keep turning. For better or worse, baseball works best without a salary cap, setting goliath's in the league that are big draws and provide intriguing stories when they fall. Sadly when they do fall, baseball in general suffers (quick, off the top of your head and home fans don't say anything, can you recall a memorable moment from the 2006 World Series)?

kalbears13
12-26-2009, 12:38 AM
In case you were wondering I got a 91/100 on the presentation and I got an A in the class. It probably helped my professor was a Yankee fan. Thanks for the help everyone.

fischbowl
12-26-2009, 08:06 AM
Not once did you mention the Players Union........which I would have failed you for