PDA

View Full Version : Who do you see falling?

bigbuc
12-02-2009, 06:12 PM
Name one player who you think come draft day will get picked 15 to 30 spots lower from where they are right now.

I say Jahvid Best... I think he could end up in the 3rd round.

RaiderNation
12-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Trent Williams, Greg Hardy, Carlos Dunlap

eagles6606
12-02-2009, 07:15 PM
Brandon Spikes will fall to the second, Colt Mccoy will fall to the second, Taylor Mays could drop, C.J. Spiller because of his position, Terrance Cody, and Selvish Capers

Shane P. Hallam
12-02-2009, 07:19 PM
I think Spikes and Hardy are two good candidates depending on how everything goes.

Thumper
12-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Carlos Dunlap is dropping (or at least he should be)
Brandon Spikes is going to fall to round 2
Trent Williams and Russell Okung are going to go in the 2nd 1/2 of round 1
Jonathan Dwyer
Dez Bryant
Greg Hardy
Sergio Kindle
Trevard Lindley
Reshad Jones

Staubach12
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM
I can see Best falling. RBs usually fall and he hasn't had a stellar year.

Babylon
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Name one player who you think come draft day will get picked 15 to 30 spots lower from where they are right now.

I say Jahvid Best... I think he could end up in the 3rd round.

Not sure where they are now because i havent seen a definitive list yet but i would have to say Charles Brown, USC OT. I think he's being overrated by about a round.

holt_bruce81
12-02-2009, 09:36 PM
Sam Bradord To the 2nd round.

Malaka
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Carlos Dunlap is Michael Johnson 2.0, except stouter. I can also see Trent Williams falling a lot.

EDIT: I don't think he will be as bad as MJ (top 5 to early 3rd), but I can see lasting all the way to mid-2nd.

wonderbredd24
12-02-2009, 09:45 PM
Jahvid Best could drop like a rock depending on how the NFL and teams react to this concussion stuff and he had a severe one.

Tebow could be affected as well.

I'm very curious to see where prospects with concussions go compared to where they are expected to go.

And unless prospects admit to doing it later, we'll never know, but I wonder how many prospects will lie about the number of concussions they've received during interviews.

holt_bruce81
12-02-2009, 09:48 PM
Jahvid Best could drop like a rock depending on how the NFL and teams react to this concussion stuff and he had a severe one.

Tebow could be affected as well.

I'm very curious to see where prospects with concussions go compared to where they are expected to go.

And unless prospects admit to doing it later, we'll never know, but I wonder how many prospects will lie about the number of concussions they've received during interviews.

You think it would affect Tebow? I mean he's already come back from it and seems fine.

descendency
12-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Colt McCoy will be the biggest fall. Some people have him in the middle of the first round. I could see him going much much later. (And I don't mean the middle of the second round)

Arrelious Benn won't be a first rounder despite some people's man love for him. Brandon LaFell too.

Golden Tate could be a 3rd rounder.

Sam Bradford will not fall out of the first round. He could be on this list as some have him in the top of the draft, but the Vikings will take him. They'd be insane not to. Unless they get a Ricky Williams type offer.

Ciron Black... he could be picked in the 1st round (on day 3... like Colt McCoy).

holt_bruce81
12-02-2009, 09:53 PM
Colt McCoy will be the biggest fall. Some people have him in the middle of the first round. I could see him going much much later. (And I don't mean the middle of the second round)

Arrelious Benn won't be a first rounder despite some people's man love for him. Brandon LaFell too.

Sam Bradford will not fall out of the first round. He could be on this list as some have him in the top of the draft, but the Vikings will take him. They'd be insane not to. Unless they get a Ricky Williams type offer.

Ciron Black... he could be picked in the 1st round (on day 3... like Colt McCoy).

I agree with you on Colt. I'm not sure about Benn, I don't care much for him but he does have all the tools to be a beast in the NFL, teams will fall in love with him.

derza222
12-02-2009, 09:56 PM
I agree with those who have said Hardy. I think he's got some downward momentum right now and the injury concerns are going to hurt him as well obviously, if some junior pass rushers who aren't being talked about much now declare that could just push him down further.

wonderbredd24
12-02-2009, 09:57 PM
You think it would affect Tebow? I mean he's already come back from it and seems fine.

That's my question... he may not be affected at all, but if teams are worried about having players miss time due to concussions and they think a prospect is more susceptable to them, they may move them down their board.

Hopefully this will make more college players use the equipment more likely to help prevent concussions... there are better helmets and mouth guards to help prevent them from happening. I expect to see far more QBs to use mouth guards as well.

murdamal86
12-02-2009, 10:42 PM

IDK about that man. I think he's going to maintain is fringe 1st/2nd round during workouts.

Tony Pike btw

Ozzy
12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
descendency: Golden Tate could be a 3rd rounder. How in the heck do you figure that one? He is going to be a 1st round pick, absolutely no reason why he cannot be.

I like that Trent Williams is being picked by a few people, he is not playing up to that potential at all.

hburn
12-02-2009, 11:06 PM
Brandon Lafell: 2nd rounder
Arrileous Benn: 2nd rounder
Tony Pike: 3rd
Colt McCoy: 3rd
Golden Tate: late second early 3rd

SickwithIt1010
12-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Sam Bradord To the 2nd round.

thats my pick right there as well.

Duffman57
12-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Black is gonna make a Duke Robinson like drop this year IMO. He's too out of shape, his footwork is awefull and he just isn't an NFL prospect.

regoob2
12-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Brandon Lafell: 2nd rounder
Arrileous Benn: 2nd rounder
Tony Pike: 3rd
Colt McCoy: 3rd
Golden Tate: late second early 3rdSo who is falling other than Lafell a bit and maybe Tate?

Prophet
12-02-2009, 11:39 PM
Charles Brown - USC LT

ThePudge
12-03-2009, 01:44 AM
WVU OT Selvish Capers may wind up in the 5th-7th mix.

Brandon Spikes could end up in the Mid 2nd-3rd Rd mix and it wouldn't surprise me.

Trent Williams could certainly slip if his Senior Bowl/Workouts can't save him.

Greg Hardy could also wind up falling to the Late Second-Early Third.

vikes_28
12-03-2009, 01:56 AM
I'm hoping Sam Bradford falls.

descendency
12-03-2009, 02:38 AM
How in the heck do you figure that one? He is going to be a 1st round pick, absolutely no reason why he cannot be.

His best positive is his acceleration. He goes from flat to fast in a few steps. Other than that, I have to wonder if he has any game breaker in him. His hands are elite (ignore the few drops and look at some of the away from body catches he's made). His technique off the line is good.

But he's 5'11" and only runs a 4.45 maybe 4.5. Low potential upside.

gpngc
12-03-2009, 04:16 AM
His best positive is his acceleration. He goes from flat to fast in a few steps. Other than that, I have to wonder if he has any game breaker in him. His hands are elite (ignore the few drops and look at some of the away from body catches he's made). His technique off the line is good.

But have you ever watched him play football? All he does is "break games". And besides that, he's a great player. Total package. Can catch in traffic. Will go over the middle. Tough. Runs the whole route tree. Can go deep.

There is literally nothing weak about his game as a player. There is no good reason why he won't be a first round pick. I see him as a Hines Ward/Steve Smith-type mix. Who cares what he runs in the 40?

descendency
12-03-2009, 05:06 AM
But have you ever watched him play football? All he does is "break games". And besides that, he's a great player. Total package. Can catch in traffic. Will go over the middle. Tough. Runs the whole route tree. Can go deep.

There is literally nothing weak about his game as a player. There is no good reason why he won't be a first round pick. I see him as a Hines Ward/Steve Smith-type mix. Who cares what he runs in the 40?

40 speed = top speed. It's not a perfect measure of WR speed, but it's as useful as the 40 gets other than maybe KR speed.

Hines Ward often gets overlooked when you mention the best WRs in the league.

Would that be the Steve Smith taken in the mid 2nd or early 3rd round? The Hines Ward taken in the late 3rd round?

gpngc
12-03-2009, 05:11 AM
Hines Ward/Steve Smith NFL players. Not college prospects. GMs would line up to get a Ward/Smith-ish type player in round one regardless of where they were drafted many years ago.

SenorGato
12-03-2009, 10:06 AM
Brandon Spikes will fall to the second, Colt Mccoy will fall to the second, Taylor Mays could drop, C.J. Spiller because of his position, Terrance Cody, and Selvish Capers

+1

To all of these but Capers...Gresham IMO falls behind McCoy as far as TE's go...Ricky Sapp if anyone even considers him a first rounder...Colt McCoy is just not a first round QB...Dan Williams will go lower than he's being hyped to go right now (I don't think he's a top 2 rounds type DT, but it's possible to value him there)....Greg Hardy might fall out of the first or go late first but that just makes him a steal...same for Spikes and Mays...

DiG
12-04-2009, 02:19 PM
lafell is a guy that i think could go later than people are expecting right now. he is the first person to come to mind.

CLong4Heisman
12-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Low potentional? Golden Tate? This is his 3rd year playing receiver, his upside could be the highest out of any of the receivers in this class. The height thing means nothing anymore because of his ability to go up and get the ball.

Ask anybody that watched Tate destroy their team if he has gamebreaker ability. He made 7 guys miss on one play against Stanford. The 87 yard punt return against Pitt.

ElectricEye
12-04-2009, 02:43 PM

You have a real bad perception of Golden Tate. His best attribute is his physicality and he does not have elite hands by any stretch. He has solid hands, but not great ones. He'll drop some passes, but he'll also shed some tackles after a short pass and go thirty yards up the field. Height doesn't matter much for a wide receiver. 5'11 is good. He's not a big receiver, that's ok. Doesn't have to be, not many are. I don't know about you, but I consider 4.45 speed exceptional and 4.5 to be slightly above average for a receiver. Doesn't matter much considering he plays fast anyway.

fenikz
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
J Dwyer, T Cody, every CB after Haden

OneToughGame
12-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Jahvid Best - concussions. Late 2nd.

Colt McCoy - System he plays in. Early to mid 2nd

Sam Bradford - Injury. Late 1st to early 2nd.

GatorsBullsFan
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM
How about Taylor Mays...With Eric Berry already being the #1 Safety...How much teams are really going Safety that early?

ThePudge
12-04-2009, 03:20 PM
How about Taylor Mays...With Eric Berry already being the #1 Safety...How much teams are really going Safety that early?

I agree, though I don't think too many good teams pass on Taylor Mays. The ideal situation for Mays is one that he would have a nice veteran there as a mentor, a good positional coach, and some stability. So once he gets in the 18-25 range, I think a team has to chance, seeing a potential star on the back end.

Scott Wright
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Don't be surprised if Jimmy Clausen starts dropping as the draft nears and scouts start digging.

wicket
12-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Don't be surprised if Jimmy Clausen starts dropping as the draft nears and scouts start digging.

what is his bottom and what kind of draftgrade do you think he'll get from the advisory commission.

Babylon
12-04-2009, 03:32 PM

I think Seattle would take him if Locker isnt available, also see teams like Denver (from Chi), San fran and Houston being very interested. If he gets by the top 12-15 picks i quit.

Scott Wright
12-04-2009, 03:40 PM
what is his bottom and what kind of draftgrade do you think he'll get from the advisory commission.

He's going to be a 1st Rounder but I could potentially see him suffering a Brady Quinn-like slide on Draft Day. There are issues there, which some teams will take more seriously than others.

wicket
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
He's going to be a 1st Rounder but I could potentially see him suffering a Brady Quinn-like slide on Draft Day. There are issues there, which some teams will take more seriously than others.

cheers for that. Im just hoping he is going to get a bad evaluation

CJSchneider
12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Sergio Kindle and Greg Hardy.

jimbo
12-04-2009, 04:09 PM
There are far too many teams in need of a QB in this year's for Clausen to slide. He'll be a top five pick.

Babylon
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
He's going to be a 1st Rounder but I could potentially see him suffering a Brady Quinn-like slide on Draft Day. [B] There are issues there, which some teams will take more seriously than others[B].

Off the field issues? Dont throw it out there and not follow up, we need to know this stuff.

ThePudge
12-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Off the field issues? Dont throw it out there and not follow up, we need to know this stuff.

He may be referring to the attitude. Clausen is said to put off some people with his, and that kind of personality is not ideal, especially at Quarterback. Hopefully, we'll soon see the extent of it.

Hines
12-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Taylor Mays, Trent Williams, Mount Cody could all drop to the Steelers.

Prophet
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
He may be referring to the attitude. Clausen is said to put off some people with his, and that kind of personality is not ideal, especially at Quarterback. Hopefully, we'll soon see the extent of it.

I used to live 4 doors down from the Clausen's and as much as I didn't mind Jimmy personally, his family are people I couldn't imagine anyone wanting a part of. His 2 older brothers did all of nothing after their college careers and they still manage to walk around with an undeserved sense of acomplishment, mind you old man Clausen is the one still telling them how great they are. Since high school Jimmy has been enshrouded by his older brothers and father and they have chosen to isolate little Jimmy and walk around South Bend as if they were entitled to all of Jimmys accomplishments at ND.
I like JC, and anyone that knows him personally outside his family will probably tell you the same thing. But when the Clausen clan is involved is when he comes off as a spoiled, arrogant California kid. They have filled Jimmys head with idea that ND and coach Weis were nothing more than springboards he should use and thats why he will never come off having the heart of a Brady Quinn.
But like ive said all along his talent speaks for itself and he has received top coaching and tutelage for most of his life. With all the teams in need of QB's this year I cannot see him slipping from the top 10.

ThePudge
12-04-2009, 08:13 PM
I used to live 4 doors down from the Clausen's and as much as I didn't mind Jimmy personally, his family are people I couldn't imagine anyone wanting a part of. His 2 older brothers did all of nothing after their college careers and they still manage to walk around with an undeserved sense of acomplishment, mind you old man Clausen is the one still telling them how great they are. Since high school Jimmy has been enshrouded by his older brothers and father and they have chosen to isolate little Jimmy and walk around South Bend as if they were entitled to all of Jimmys accomplishments at ND.
I like JC, and anyone that knows him personally outside his family will probably tell you the same thing. But when the Clausen clan is involved is when he comes off as a spoiled, arrogant California kid. They have filled Jimmys head with idea that ND and coach Weis were nothing more than springboards he should use and thats why he will never come off having the heart of a Brady Quinn.
But like ive said all along his talent speaks for itself and he has received top coaching and tutelage for most of his life. With all the teams in need of QB's this year I cannot see him slipping from the top 10.

I don't see any point in lying here, some won't believe you (just because you're a new poster and that's pretty cool), but I'm going to roll with it. What I'm hoping is that family of his doesn't play any role in what teams he talks to/how he talks to NFL teams (see: Michael Crabtree.) He's privileged to have that talent and needs to act as if the NFL itself is a privilege. Playing the game you love for a paycheck should bring a certain attitude to an athlete, though some think they are entitled to it. Let's hope that Jimmy's got the right mind-set moving forward, let's hope he doesn't let his family or an agent set his front, or, like Scott said, he could see himself falling further than many anticipate.

Now, I won't be as bold as Scott, I don't think it will happen. He has a tremendous feel for the position, mechanically and intangibly, he may be the cream of this years QB crop.

I'd like to get Scott's opinion on Ryan Mallett going into the bowl season, as Mallett's turned some new leaves since he last wrote on the subject.

Prophet
12-04-2009, 08:38 PM
I don't see any point in lying here, some won't believe you (just because you're a new poster and that's pretty cool)

What reason do I have to lie? Enlighten me.
Weather you "roll with it" or not, the fact that you are attempting to call me out for lying about where I used to reside is rediculous.
You don't want to believe me? Fine..... ask someone "more credible" with 100,000 posts if they have ever met the Clausens and what they think of them.

CLong4Heisman
12-05-2009, 12:30 AM
He wasn't calling you a liar, he was giving you a warning because other people probably will call you a liar.

Iamcanadian
12-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Since we really won't know till January where players are ranked, right now it is all based on a few gurus predictions and that will change by 25-35% as soon as we get a much clearer picture on players rankings from NFL sources rather than from gurus predictions. So guessing at who will drop or rise is almost impossible to ascertain at this point in the draft process since we have little to base our ranking on.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-05-2009, 01:07 AM
If teams dig deeply and find out that Clausen wasn't particularly team oriented at Notre Dame (I have no idea one way or the other, just throwing that out there), it will probably hurt him a bit. In regards to the family arrogance thing, we know that another (albeit more successful) quarterback family isn't exactly innocent of that, but no one ever questioned Peyton or Eli's dedication to their college teams.

Either way, Clausen definitely has the least obvious questions about him of any quarterback that's a threat to go top 10. I have no strong opinions about the prospective quarterback class (the number of college games I caught this year was minuscule), but unless there's something really bad about Clausen's attitude, I'd be surprised to see him drop a lot. Plenty of teams need quarterbacks, more so than 2007 (if we're comparing to Quinn's drop), and it looks like Clausen has a few less question marks than Quinn did.

As for the other Irish in discussion, it doesn't take that much of a stretch of the imagination to see Golden Tate falling. Personally, I love what I've seen of the kid play, but he's not going to close to the most physically impressive wideout and he's going to measure in short for a possession/jump-ball receiver. The wideout group in that late-first to mid-second round looks like it could get crowded, especially if Bryant falls a bit.

BigBanger
12-05-2009, 01:14 AM
He has enough flaws... he should fall to the second round... where he belongs.

Until then, he'll be overrated just like his predecessor.

BigBanger
12-05-2009, 01:20 AM
So guessing at who will drop or rise is almost impossible to ascertain at this point in the draft process since we have little to base our ranking on.
You have an entire season of college football to form an opinion.

The rest of the crap you said before that should just go into your signature or something. We get it, you don't like hearing people's opinions on players. That's fine, you've said it enough times for us to get the picture.

If you don't mind, we'll go back to discussing players on this draft countdown site.

ThePudge
12-05-2009, 09:05 AM
What reason do I have to lie? Enlighten me.
Weather you "roll with it" or not, the fact that you are attempting to call me out for lying about where I used to reside is rediculous.
You don't want to believe me? Fine..... ask someone "more credible" with 100,000 posts if they have ever met the Clausens and what they think of them.

Didn't I say "I see no point in you lying here"? I wrote a small paragraph assuming what you said was true. You even quoted the exact sentence that said I believed you and saw no point in making it up. Knowing some here, however, I wasn't sure if everyone would buy it because you've only been here for a week or so. You weren't called out, at all.

DeathbyStat
12-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Taylor Mays

descendency
12-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Taylor Mays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7etFOMb1k&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVO3_iQT9g&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4fWzQvGnEs&feature=player_embedded

Poor coverage. Tries for big hits only. Great speed though. Won't last past Cowboys 1st round pick.

Babylon
12-06-2009, 04:30 PM
Taylor Mays:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb7etFOMb1k&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PVO3_iQT9g&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4fWzQvGnEs&feature=player_embedded

Poor coverage. Tries for big hits only. Great speed though. Won't last past Cowboys 1st round pick.

I think Mays will be allright. Doubt he gets by the Seahawks, Niners and Texans. All picking well before the Cowboys.

Rosebud
12-06-2009, 07:06 PM
I think Greg Hardy is this years justin tuck, a kid with world's of potential who slips due to injury problems and then breaks out if he lands with the right team.

TonyGfortheTD
12-06-2009, 08:52 PM
J
Sam Bradford - Injury. Late 1st to early 2nd.

Doesn't help he also still lacks overall playing time, mixed in with rust and we really didn't get to see how he'd play without the Sooners line he had to work with last season.

I'd say Bradford will take the biggest slide under the microscope.

KaneMarko
12-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Who's going to fall:

Terrance Cody. Huge kid. And has the tools to shut down the middle of a line. But he needs to answer questions regarding his weight control and other intangibles. I see him going in the second. With the potential to fall even further depending on the combine.

Brandon Spikes. Doesn't have the athleticism that Laurinitis or Maualuga had and both were second rounders . I can see him falling to the back half of the second.

Greg Hardy. Kid just can't stay healthy despite his potential as a passrusher. I could actually see him being one of the biggest drops of all.

Trent Williams. Perhaps he should have stayed at RT. Just doesn't look like a LT to me.

Carlos Dunlap. Despite being the MVP in the NCG last year, I just don't see what the fascination with him is other than passing the eyeball test. Kid looks like a bigger version of Michael Johnson. Through the roof measurables. But little to no consistent, high-level production.

The QBs. Not sure I see any of the QBs going as high as some think. Locker may be the lone one to go super high, IMO.

ThePudge
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
Who's going to fall:

Terrance Cody. Huge kid. And has the tools to shut down the middle of a line. But he needs to answer questions regarding his weight control and other intangibles. I see him going in the second. With the potential to fall even further depending on the combine.

I'm going to really disagree with that last statement. No one's expecting Cody to run a 4.5, or 5.0. Maybe Cody runs a 5.5-5.7, it won't hurt him. He's not going to look pretty without his shirt on. "Mount" Cody isn't going to stun the Combine crowd by performing poorly, in fact, no NFL evaluators will expect him to shine at this type of event. He is, however, rumored to be able to throw down a basketball with ease. That being said, he may be able to turn some heads is a positive way.

What's important, as you touched on, is that teams feel confident in his discipline weight-wise. He's been up at 400, and he needs to prove he's dedicated to 350-360. He cannot show up at 380+, or his stock will drop and more questions will arise. Also, what's important is if his knees check out in the medical examination. That's a whole lot of weight to carry and I don't think a few stress fractures would surprise too many people, though it would lower his stock as we'd really have to be concerned about his durability in the NFL and the potential longevity of his career.

For a Nose Tackle, the most important evaluations will be made by on-field performance. Cody's on-field performance speaks for itself and the impact he makes in gameplans is an extreme plus for prospective NFL buyers. I doubt he falls unless there is a weight (discipline) or durability concern.

Scott Wright
12-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I really can't go into too much detail but "Prophet" touched on some of the issues.

CashmoneyDrew
12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
Yes. As good as Casey Clausen was in college, you could always find someone with a story about him that would tell you how big of a douche he was. Rick Clausen wasn't really good, but he was a douche too.

Todd Bertuzzi
12-06-2009, 10:14 PM
There's a reason why someone gave him a black eye and it's not only because Notre Dame sucks.

the decider13
12-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Doesn't help he also still lacks overall playing time, mixed in with rust and we really didn't get to see how he'd play without the Sooners line he had to work with last season.

I'd say Bradford will take the biggest slide under the microscope.

Are you serious with the overall playing time? He started 28 games in his first two seasons including a national championship that he played very well in. I think there is plenty of tape on him.

Just because he only played two years doesn't mean there isn't enough playing time, he started more than double the games that Sanchez did in his college career.

descendency
12-07-2009, 12:15 AM
He has a tremendous feel for the position, mechanically and intangibly, he may be the cream of this years QB crop.

Matt McGuire's (only using his name to give him credit) NFL comparison of Jimmy Clausen is Drew Brees. Brees has outstanding mechanics, great intangibles, and the ability to make basically any throw without having the best arm in the pros. I'm not saying that he is saying (or that I am) he will light it up like Brees is doing this year, but he certainly has the potential to do so.

edit: I think lots of teams will see it too. Will the teams in the top 10 is a great question.

KaneMarko
12-07-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm going to really disagree with that last statement. No one's expecting Cody to run a 4.5, or 5.0. Maybe Cody runs a 5.5-5.7, it won't hurt him. He's not going to look pretty without his shirt on. "Mount" Cody isn't going to stun the Combine crowd by performing poorly, in fact, no NFL evaluators will expect him to shine at this type of event. He is, however, rumored to be able to throw down a basketball with ease. That being said, he may be able to turn some heads is a positive way.

What's important, as you touched on, is that teams feel confident in his discipline weight-wise. He's been up at 400, and he needs to prove he's dedicated to 350-360. He cannot show up at 380+, or his stock will drop and more questions will arise. Also, what's important is if his knees check out in the medical examination. That's a whole lot of weight to carry and I don't think a few stress fractures would surprise too many people, though it would lower his stock as we'd really have to be concerned about his durability in the NFL and the potential longevity of his career.

For a Nose Tackle, the most important evaluations will be made by on-field performance. Cody's on-field performance speaks for itself and the impact he makes in gameplans is an extreme plus for prospective NFL buyers. I doubt he falls unless there is a weight (discipline) or durability concern.

Fair enough.

But let me touch on a few things you said. Throwing down a basketball isnt a determinant for athleticism or how good a prospect will be. Hes 65. He should be able to jump up and dunk IMO. Let me throw a name at you: Junior Siavii. Junior Siavii was a big kid (344 at combine time about 6 years ago) that could dunk. I believe I read somewhere that Alan Branch could throw it down too.

The point behind my post is that there are plenty of reasons to see a case where Cody does fall. You even mentioned some in your post. Weve seen players like him in the past 10 years drop. Alan Branch fell. Gabe Watson fell. Even going back to Shawn Rogers going near the end of the second. Yeah some 3-4 team near the end of the 1st could get enamored with his sheer and pull the trigger (weve seen that before too). Just saying hes not a slam dunk for the first in my humble opinion. Like I said and you even said in your post, he needs to prove he can control his weight. This is a kid that 3-4 years ago weighed more than 400 pounds. And could get back there relatively easily if hes not careful. Like you said, carrying that amount of girth can lead to weight related injuries. Which is a nice-sized factor in how personnel folks determine draft worth. Even for a 2 down 3-4 NT, he has stamina questions to answer. Etc.

There are things to like about Cody. No doubt. But theres more than a few reasons that he could fall in this draft.

SenorGato
12-07-2009, 11:24 AM

I've been thinking this, and I think people will start jumping on him for not being tough or strong willed enough to lead his team to bigger and better things.

I guess I can buy it...I really like Clausen as a prospect but there are flaws in his game.

RealityCheck
12-07-2009, 12:27 PM
I can see Golden Tate and Dezmon Briscoe somehow falling to the late 2nd/ even early 3rd.

Also, Jermaine Gresham.